PDA

View Full Version : lewis Stevenson

Babyshamble
16-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Needs brought back in the team ASAP.Whittaker in my opinion has been gash.

kaimendhibs
16-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Without slating Whitty who I agree has been poir, we need Lewis back in the side.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 08:35 PM
How would Lewis playing effect the outcome today? I don't get it.

matty_f
16-09-2017, 08:42 PM

He's a better left back than Whittaker, on today's showing.

Babyshamble
16-09-2017, 08:48 PM

His ball distribution is far better than Whittakers.

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 08:49 PM
He's a better left back than Whittaker, on today's showing.

Perhaps. Would it have changed the outcome of today? Whittaker and Gray struggled at times last Season. Him not being there today wouldn't have changed much.

matty_f
16-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Perhaps. Would it have changed the outcome of today? Whittaker and Gray struggled at times last Season. Him not being there today wouldn't have changed much.

Impossible to say, but I reckon he'd have made life harder for Moult for the first goal.

RossScott1991
16-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Whittaker has lost his pace. Genuinely looks like a player his age. ludicrous to give him a 3 year old, stevenson should be our left back IMO.

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 08:51 PM

I would disagree. At least Whittaker try's to attack.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Get a grip, you honestly saying lewis doesn't get forward.
Whittaker in his first spell with us wasent the greatest defender brilliant going forward.
Lewis is a legend! Every Manager has played him, double cup winner how many of them have we had ??

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Get a grip, you honestly saying lewis doesn't get forward.
Whittaker in his first spell with us wasent the greatest defender brilliant going forward.
Lewis is a legend! Every Manager has played him, double cup winner how many of them have we had ??

Your mixing up Lewis the legend with being average all last season. Steve son wouldn't have changed today's outcome, Whittaker was poor and its highlighted big time, Lewis gets away every other week. His crossing is terrible when he's not cutting inside.

lord bunberry
16-09-2017, 09:37 PM
A defenders first job is to defend. Stevenson does the job better than a right footed player trying to fill in.

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Your mixing up Lewis the legend with being average all last season. Steve son wouldn't have changed today's outcome, Whittaker was poor and its highlighted big time, Lewis gets away every other week. His crossing is terrible when he's not cutting inside.

How can anyone say if him playing could or couldn't have changed today's game? One thing I could prob say is he'd put in a better shift overall. Whitty has been really poor lately and needs dropped.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Wee Lewis is always an easy target for a sly dig but this situation does not make sense. If Lennon doesn't rate him as a starting left back in a four at the back line up, then I can accept that. It is a manager's decision. So the common sense way forwards is surely to buy a better left back? To play a right back as a replacement does not make sense.

Northernhibee
16-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I never get the criticism of Lewis.

Whittaker is better going forward.

Lewis is a better defender, wins a lot in the air, isn't afraid to get stuck in with a meaty challenge, understands the club, bleeds passion for the club, has an outstanding workrate, doesn't hide, takes responsibility, has the best first touch of the entire team and is a role model to the younger players. He has experience of the league and of the club.

I'm a bit biaised but I don't hide the fact that Lewis Stevenson is my all time favourite Hibee and that's because the way he plays is exemplary for the club and he's won me round to being a huge fan of what he does, never mind being in a field of one for having both a league cup and Scottish cup winners medal for Hibs.

Get him back in the team Lennon.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Think your the one getting mixed up!
Whittaker wasn't here last season.

danhibees1875
16-09-2017, 09:52 PM
"Whittaker is better going forward" just seems like a non argument now. Barker would have had to stop to make himself a cup of tea before Whittaker would have got close to providing an overlap. Stevenson back in for the county game I reckon.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;5170525]I never get the criticism of Lewis.

Lewis is a better defender, wins a lot in the air, isn't afraid to get stuck in with a meaty challenge, understands the club, bleeds passion for the club, has an outstanding workrate, doesn't hide, takes responsibility, has the best first touch of the entire team and is a role model to the younger players. He has experience of the league and of the club.

I'm a bit biaised but I don't hide the fact that Lewis Stevenson is my all time favourite Hibee and that's because the way he plays is exemplary for the club and he's won me round to being a huge fan of what he does, never mind being in a field of one for having both a league cup and Scottish cup winners medal for Hibs.

Get him back in the team Lennon.[/QUO

That sounds good to me!!

penihibs
16-09-2017, 10:00 PM
"Whittaker is better going forward" just seems like a non argument now. Barker would have had to stop to make himself a cup of tea before Whittaker would have got close to providing an overlap. Stevenson back in for the county game I reckon.
Honestly thought Barker never started don't mind stop to have a cup of tea.

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Think your the one getting mixed up!
Whittaker wasn't here last season.

Meant Stevenson sorry.

RIP
16-09-2017, 10:18 PM
I love Whitty but he was posted missing for the St Johnstone goal last week.

Struggled today as well

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 10:22 PM
How can anyone say if him playing could or couldn't have changed today's game? One thing I could prob say is he'd put in a better shift overall. Whitty has been really poor lately and needs dropped.

You can't, of course. It wasn't the biggest issue today tho. Whittaker is getting ripped to fk and as usual anyone even remotely sticking up for the fact it would have changed very little is accused of the number 1 comfort blanket on here, Stevenson knocking. I blame a midfield collapse and a goalie issue today not Lewis not playing which is frankly ridiculous.

Danderhall Hibs
16-09-2017, 10:24 PM
You can't, of course. It wasn't the biggest issue today tho. Whittaker is getting ripped to fk and as usual anyone even remotely sticking up for the fact it would have changed very little is accused of the number 1 comfort blanket on here, Stevenson knocking. I blame a midfield collapse and a goalie issue today not Lewis not playing which is frankly ridiculous.

I agree with you. I genuinely don't believe that putibg Stevenson back in the team means we go on a winning run.

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 10:29 PM

I think our back line may be stronger in it with Stevenson at LB that's about the only thing. Agree completely keeper and midfield cost us all 3 points today.

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 10:32 PM
I agree with you. I genuinely don't believe that putibg Stevenson back in the team means we go on a winning run.

Don't think that's what folk are saying. Unless I'm wrong they think Stevenson is simply a better left back. I find Whitty drifts and switches off a lot where Lewis doesn't do that really.

He's maybe not as good going forward but if we are shipping daft goals then surely you start playin defender in the right positions. Stevenson all day at left back is our better option imo.

Bearders
16-09-2017, 10:34 PM

😂😂😂😂

Danderhall Hibs
16-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Don't think that's what folk are saying. Unless I'm wrong they think Stevenson is simply a better left back. I find Whitty drifts and switches off a lot where Lewis doesn't do that really.

He's maybe not as good going forward but if we are shipping daft goals then surely you start playin defender in the right positions. Stevenson all day at left back is our better option imo.

If bringing him back doesn't change anything, what's the point bringing him back?

We are shipping soft goals but I'm not so sure they're all Whittaker's fault.

Babyshamble
17-09-2017, 12:42 AM
😂😂😂😂

Why the smiley faces ? Care to explain.? Am i not allowed an opinion? Is this one of these ' Your not a regular poster ' so get tae **** ? Posts

lucky
17-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Stevenson did not deserve to be dropped to begin with. Whittaker appears to be no better than Gray at RB so I'm not sure why he was even signed.

Dunbar Hibee
17-09-2017, 06:03 AM
We cannot persist with Whittaker at LB. I'm hoping today Lennon realised that!

Thecat23
17-09-2017, 06:06 AM
If bringing him back doesn't change anything, what's the point bringing him back?

We are shipping soft goals but I'm not so sure they're all Whittaker's fault.

No you are missing the point. I've never said they are all Whitty's fault but Lewis brings a better balance and defends better. He's miles better than Whitty in the LB position and Whitty to be is miles off the pace and should be dropped.

hibee_girl
17-09-2017, 07:36 AM

:top marks:

danhibees1875
17-09-2017, 07:58 AM
Honestly thought Barker never started don't mind stop to have a cup of tea.

Really? I'm sure he was the main out ball in the first half and very rarely didn't manage to get a reasonable cross away or beat his man (particularly beating his man to the line and cutting back for Murray to poke wide from 5 yards). There was one point where he held up waiting for a simple overlap but Whittaker was nowhere to be found.

He faded a bit in the second, not unlike all of them, but was still frequently used. In particular at the very end where he flicked it over his head and got past 2 well players before a poor decision to try beat another man instead of passing needlessly lost him the ball.

Barker was the third best player we had behind Bartley and stokes.

Stokesy's on fire
17-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Lewis Stevenson is a really good left back and offers so much more to the team in that position than steven does. I hope Lennon puts him back in the side for tuesday nights game.

Eyrie
17-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Lennon has made it clear that he isn't happy with our defending, so that means he will have to make changes.

However, we only have two fit defenders on the bench at the moment - Porteous and Stevenson. I don't think we're at the stage of throwing Porteous in and expecting him to carry senior professionals, so that makes a return for Stevenson the only credible change.

That then raises the question of who plays RB, and in the present circumstances the job has to go to Gray as a better defender than Whittaker. We'd then have our best defensive full backs on the pitch, which would hinder us going forward but we need to stop the silly goals being conceded.

I'd also be tempted to give Laidlaw the nod against Livingston, although I would bring Marciano back for Ross County.

tamig
17-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Really? I'm sure he was the main out ball in the first half and very rarely didn't manage to get a reasonable cross away or beat his man (particularly beating his man to the line and cutting back for Murray to poke wide from 5 yards). There was one point where he held up waiting for a simple overlap but Whittaker was nowhere to be found.

He faded a bit in the second, not unlike all of them, but was still frequently used. In particular at the very end where he flicked it over his head and got past 2 well players before a poor decision to try beat another man instead of passing needlessly lost him the ball.

Barker was the third best player we had behind Bartley and stokes.
There's been a few comments on various threads about Barker yesterday. I'm not sure how anybody could have a go at his first half performance yesterday - but a few have. I thought he was excellent first half and I'm not sure why he was switched to the right second half.

Baldy Foghorn
17-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Needs brought back in the team ASAP.Whittaker in my opinion has been gash.

I actually think SW creates an imbalance in the team

MyJo
17-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Time and time again we were being taken apart down the left hand side by Motherwell they got the ball up the park quickly with Whittaker nowhere to be seen most of the time and resulting in Hanlon coming out to cover a player leaving us exposed in the middle.

When barker had the ball out on the wing trying to get past players there was one point where Whittaker stood directly behind him watching, not overlapping to give him a passing option, not cutting in to help just standing behind him watching him get crowded out by three Motherwell players.

Stevenson needs to be back in on Tuesday and from now on

AgentDaleCooper
17-09-2017, 11:03 AM
I actually think SW creates an imbalance in the team

Seconded. He's a great signing on paper, and capable of great passes and runs but he's something of a luxury. It feels like he's being crowbarred into the team when SDG and lewis have been unspectacular but solid. We've got other players who can do the flashy stuff.

overdrive
17-09-2017, 01:13 PM
There's been a few comments on various threads about Barker yesterday. I'm not sure how anybody could have a go at his first half performance yesterday - but a few have. I thought he was excellent first half and I'm not sure why he was switched to the right second half.

Yep, although he is clearly right footed, he is miles better on the left than the right. The one time he found himself on the left in the second half after we cleared the ball, he went on a great run that was sadly lacking for the rest of the half when he was on the right.

I think Boyle is better on the left as well by the way.

NAE NOOKIE
17-09-2017, 05:36 PM
I would disagree. At least Whittaker try's to attack.

So does Stevenson .... the biggest criticism of him is that he gets into decent positions but regularly fails to put in a decent ball. The whole point of Whittaker was that even though he is limited as a defender he would bring much more to the table than Stevenson in the final third, so far apart from one very good ball against Dundee he hasn't, even Stevenson was capable of one very good ball into the box every 5 games or so.

In view of that and also the fact that we are playing a left winger sacrificing Stevenson's defensive capability in order to accommodate Whittaker seems like an absolute waste of time.

silverhibee
17-09-2017, 06:51 PM
I think Lennon will stick with Whittaker.

Stantons Angel
17-09-2017, 11:07 PM

What you say of Lewis is true and cant be questioned by anyone on here.

I like Steven as a player and as i wasnt at the game yesterday so i cant comment on his or the teams standard of play.

I do though have to concede that even at Ibrox he was posted missing at the first goal and last week in Perth i thought that too.

He is being dragged into the middle a lot and leaves the wing player alone and open to receive the ball. His speed is slower than he was first time round and as he is a versatile player may need to play elsewhere in the team.In mucking about with our defensive line we have conceded so many goals and valuable points.

I do not understand Lennons way of thinking in dropping Gray and then Lewis and breaking up a really tight defensive set up.

Even our midfield with Barker in it just does not seem to be firing on all cylinders either and yet wee McGeouch is sitting on the bench

As i say i am biased in Lewis's favour and we wont know if he would make any difference if he doesnt get his place back in the team.

So Mr Lennon get him back in the team!

The Leith Dutch
18-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Wee Lewis is always an easy target for a sly dig but this situation does not make sense. If Lennon doesn't rate him as a starting left back in a four at the back line up, then I can accept that. It is a manager's decision. So the common sense way forwards is surely to buy a better left back? To play a right back as a replacement does not make sense.

This.

I happen to like Stevenson but most of the balanced criticism that comes his way I wouldn't strongly argue against.
There are certainly better left wing backs out there and probably better straight left backs out there.

If Left (wing) back was a problem area we should have signed one and not signed a Right back.

I thought it was a particularly odd choice on Saturday - Whittaker's strength is going forward which may earn him the nod if we're not playing two wingers (and even then I'd argue it should earn him the nod at right back).

I think it's good to have more than one formation to play but I mean a couple of similar flexible line ups.
Saturday felt very much like "Let's give this a go".

I'd want 3 in the middle or at least 3 at the back and no defensive mid if we're playing wingers.
I also kinda feel that with Wingers you should be committing to a formation where you play wingers rather than chopping and changing.

gillythehibby
18-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Forgetting the fact Rocky should have come for it, Whittaker had lost Moult at the goal also. Whittaker looks unbalanced at left back and unassured at times. What people are saying is there was no need to drop Lewis. I agree with that. he's quicker and more aggressive in the tackle than Whittaker and very rarely gets done for pace on the flanks. Maybe Lennon stuck him in for the height factor. Not sure, but time will tell if he's done the right thing.

Borderhibbie76
18-09-2017, 07:26 PM

We are shipping soft goals but I'm not so sure they're all Whittaker's fault.Sure about that?? Whitty has been culpable for goals conceded at Ibrox, Dens and McDiarmid to name 3 in last few weeks. Imo the defence is struggling and to get back to basics you go back to your strongest defenders...Lewis is our best defending LB so get him back in ...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
18-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Sure about that?? Whitty has been culpable for goals conceded at Ibrox, Dens and McDiarmid to name 3 in last few weeks. Imo the defence is struggling and to get back to basics you go back to your strongest defenders...Lewis is our best defending LB so get him back in ...

Whitty definitely wasn't to blame for the goal in Perth and against Dundee he stupidly dived in however he never actually fouled the guy.

I do agree that Lewis should be brought back in but let's try and stick to the truth rather than incorrect "facts" that have appeared on here lately

Borderhibbie76
18-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I think Lennon will stick with Whittaker.Sadly so do I...on the evidence so far I'm struggling to see why we signed him tbh...Gray and Stevenson are both better options and he shouldn't be 1st pick on either the right or left

pacoluna
18-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Sadly so do I...on the evidence so far I'm struggling to see why we signed him tbh...Gray and Stevenson are both better options and he shouldn't be 1st pick on either the right or left

Cmon gray isn't a better player than SW!

JimBHibees
18-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Cmon gray isn't a better player than SW!

Maybe better defender.

Danderhall Hibs
18-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Whitty definitely wasn't to blame for the goal in Perth and against Dundee he stupidly dived in however he never actually fouled the guy.

I do agree that Lewis should be brought back in but let's try and stick to the truth rather than incorrect "facts" that have appeared on here lately

Facts? Why bother with them?

BoomtownHibees
18-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Facts? Why bother with them?

They can sometimes add substance to an argument.

Not on here it seems and not when it comes to certain players it doesn't

pacoluna
18-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Maybe better defender.

SW was a regular premiership/chship + internationalist up until just last season. OK he hasn't started of this campaign too well but to suggest Lewis and gray are better players/defenders than SW is ludicrous. Whittaker hasn't suddenly just became a poor defender in the space of a year.

RoYO!
18-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Ideal chance for Lennon to shake things up/ rotate squad. It means that people aren't necessarily 'dropped' just rotated.

Lewis and Fraser Murray to start please

JimBHibees
19-09-2017, 06:50 AM
SW was a regular premiership/chship + internationalist up until just last season. OK he hasn't started of this campaign too well but to suggest Lewis and gray are better players/defenders than SW is ludicrous. Whittaker hasn't suddenly just became a poor defender in the space of a year.

Not ludicrous at all. Think Gray is more solid defensively while Steven is a better all round footballer. To me he is an excellent signing as he can cover so many positions including midfield.

MB62
19-09-2017, 08:26 AM
As a left back, Whittaker makes a good corner flag. I have been totally unimpressed with him since his return and there's hardly a game he has played in where he hasn't contributed to the loss of a goal. I don't know how many times I was shouting at him to get on an overlap for Barker, it was as if he had been told by NL not to get up the park because he doesn't have the pace to get back again.

On current form, it's Lewis for me every time. He will not solve our problems on his own, but it's a step in the right direction.

Firestarter
19-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Not ludicrous at all. Think Gray is more solid defensively while Steven is a better all round footballer. To me he is an excellent signing as he can cover so many positions including midfield.

Gray struggled loads of times last year against lesser opposition, Whittaker is a better player. It's about accommodating them all though. Stevenson neither has had a great start to the season as have our whole defensive line up. It's a tough situation.

Thecat23
19-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Gray struggled loads of times last year against lesser opposition, Whittaker is a better player. It's about accommodating them all though. Stevenson neither has had a great start to the season as have our whole defensive line up. It's a tough situation.

Stevenson is miles better at left back than Whitty. He should never have been dropped and replaced by him in that position.

pacoluna
19-09-2017, 10:54 AM
I hear this all the time " he's an easy target" no he isn't he just receives criticism as every other single player gets on occasions and its nothing compared to the stick others have been getting .
Some posters are really offended and take it to heart when people question him. Its inevitable there is going to be a time when he is phased out from being a regular starter. It's the lack of competition for that position that has been the problem.
Steven whittaker hasn't started this season particularly well, I agree lewis should be brought back in and if this is the case then whittaker should be put to right back in place of Gray.
Those of you who are suggesting lewis and Gray are better defenders than SW, I completely disagree.

Firestarter
19-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Stevenson is miles better at left back than Whitty. He should never have been dropped and replaced by him in that position.

I agree it is evident now he's a more solid option but he's had no competition for years so a couple of games out for a seasoned international who has played there before for his country might do him the World of good.

Thecat23
19-09-2017, 11:20 AM
I agree it is evident now he's a more solid option but he's had no competition for years so a couple of games out for a seasoned international who has played there before for his country might do him the World of good.

He did need competition totally agree with that. I think when he's back in the side we'll look more balanced.

ancient hibee
19-09-2017, 11:40 AM
A team always looks unbalanced when players play on their weaker sides-full backs most of all.Remember the attempts to turn Stevenson into a right back.

TheGreenMan
19-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Stevenson lost a header against Tavernier at Ibrox to lose us a goal. Whittaker lost Moult on Saturday.

Stevenson also started just 3 games ago in a defense that lost 3 goals to Hamilton having a shocker, along with the rest of them - including Whittaker on the right.

I'd go with LS over SW on the left on energy alone as it doesnt look like Whittaker has anywhere near the engine he once did, which was his best asset as he's never been a great defender. In games where we have all the ball he looks ok like St Johnstone and Dundee but Stevenson edges it defensively and we'll just have to cope with very little in final 3rd but first and foremost the full backs need to be able to do the basics of defending. Couldn't believe how bad Whittaker looked on Saturday, it was as if he couldn't be arsed running back most of the time and he also gave the ball away most of the time. I think he'll be a decent signing over the year and we'll get quality moments going forward as we've seen scoring v Partick, Assist at Dundee and his ball for Murray v Hamilton where Murray missed a 1-on-1 but he's not the best defensively, which we knew anyway.

MyJo
19-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Stevenson lost a header against Tavernier at Ibrox to lose us a goal. Whittaker lost Moult on Saturday.

Stevenson also started just 3 games ago in a defense that lost 3 goals to Hamilton having a shocker, along with the rest of them - including Whittaker on the right.

I'd go with LS over SW on the left on energy alone as it doesnt look like Whittaker has anywhere near the engine he once did, which was his best asset as he's never been a great defender. In games where we have all the ball he looks ok like St Johnstone and Dundee but Stevenson edges it defensively and we'll just have to cope with very little in final 3rd but first and foremost the full backs need to be able to do the basics of defending. Couldn't believe how bad Whittaker looked on Saturday, it was as if he couldn't be arsed running back most of the time and he also gave the ball away most of the time. I think he'll be a decent signing over the year and we'll get quality moments going forward as we've seen scoring v Partick, Assist at Dundee and his ball for Murray v Hamilton where Murray missed a 1-on-1 but he's not the best defensively, which we knew anyway.

Taverniers header cost us a goal, Whittaker being unable to cope with Moult cost us two points.

Poor defending from McGregor to concede a penalty and a terrible attempt at a pass from Hanlon lost us cheap goals against Hamilton and thier third was built up down Whittakers side of the pitch yet it's Stevenson that gets dropped and a makeshift left back put in to replace him.

B.H.F.C
19-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Taverniers header cost us a goal, Whittaker being unable to cope with Moult cost us two points.

No it didn't. Both the goals mentioned got teams back to within one goal of us.

I think Stevenson should be at left back. But our defence was toiling at the point he was dropped. Actually, we've conceded less in the games we've played since he was dropped!

The_Horde
19-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Poor defending from McGregor to concede a penalty and a terrible attempt at a pass from Hanlon lost us cheap goals against Hamilton and thier third was built up down Whittakers side of the pitch yet it's Stevenson that gets dropped and a makeshift left back put in to replace him.

Whittaker has cost us a few goals this season now. Get him in at right back or nae where.

hibee_girl
19-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Was between him & Boyle for MOTM tonight imo

calumhibee1
19-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Was between him & Boyle for MOTM tonight imo

Dylan was mine even if he was only on half an hour. Stevenson didn't put a foot wrong though. Should be back in the team now.

silverhibee
19-09-2017, 09:16 PM
I think Lennon will stick with Whittaker.

I know nothing.

cabbage_88
19-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Thought Lewis had a very good game, second half especially. Would have given him morn with Dylan just behind him.

Alex Trager
19-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Lewis played very well tonight. I feel he was the MOTM.

He was good going forward as well.

I felt Whittaker was always far too far up the park until Dylan came on. But before that Whittaker had us heavily unbalanced at the back and was well up the park when the other three were behind in defence.

Slivka having to fill in many times.

After Dylan came on we looked much much better.

Both must start on Saturday

green day
19-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Lewis and Whitty will be the full backs for the next couple of weeks anyway, as Gray appears to have a strain.

Thank god as they both looked comfortable in their correct positions.

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2017, 09:25 PM

You're right, he's been a poor defender for longer than a year. No way is he a better LB than Stevenson, ludicrous to even suggest it.

KingFranck
19-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Lewis linked up really well with Stokes and Boyle welcome back young man

Thecat23
19-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Lewis was simply brilliant tonight simple as that.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Great game from the wee felly.

Diclonius
19-09-2017, 09:28 PM
And this is why Stevenson has been our left back for God knows how long.

Dunfyhibee
19-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Will definitely he playing on Saturday now due to gays injury. Never deserved to lose his place and played very well tonight, never lets the team down.

Brightside
19-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Excellent tonight. Hopefully someone will show the video to Whitts.

hibee_girl
19-09-2017, 09:32 PM
And this is why Stevenson has been our left back for God knows how long.

Exactly.

green day
19-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Excellent tonight. Hopefully someone will show the video to Whitts.

Stevenson was excellent - but equally I thought Whitty was decent at right back.

Lennon needs to play them in the right position (although dont ask me what position is Efes best..........)

wookie70
19-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Lewis may need competition at left back but after tonight its clear that Whittaker is no competition to him. I thought it was between Mr Hibs and Swanson in the first half for our best player and in the second half Lewis was superb. On the other side I thought Whittaker struggled again.

Hibee Mac
19-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Had an excellent second half and didn't set a foot wrong all game.

Also thought his delivery was fantastic many good cut backs and crosses towards the end.

Stevie Reid
19-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Quality performance. Hopefully be our LB again for a long time.

The Harp Awakes
19-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Had an excellent second half and didn't set a foot wrong all game.

Also thought his delivery was fantastic many good cut backs and crosses towards the end.

Played well.

Stantons Angel
19-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Lewis was simply brilliant tonight simple as that.

yes it was as simple as that!

The wee man was back in his berth and showed what he was worth to the team..

Some of the running into the box with the ball in the second half and the little passes along the face of the goal were sublime.

Yet no one put them in the net! He was always available to receive the ball and his distribution was really good.

His link up play with Stokes and Boyle was first class and i would say he was unlucky not to get MOM in my opinion.

Welcome back Lewis more of the same on Saturday........

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-09-2017, 10:03 PM
yes it was as simple as that!

The wee man was back in his berth and showed what he was worth to the team..

Some of the running into the box with the ball in the second half and the little passes along the face of the goal were sublime.

Yet no one put them in the net! He was always available to receive the ball and his distribution was really good.

His link up play with Stokes and Boyle was first class and i would say he was unlucky not to get MOM in my opinion.

Welcome back Lewis more of the same on Saturday........

:agree: That's the part of his game that he doesn't get due credit for, folk seem to obsess about getting crosses into the box.

Brightside
19-09-2017, 10:15 PM
We did have a problem on the left side of midfield. Its really wasnt clear which of the midfielders should have been the out ball on that side.....Stevenson was linking with Stokes or Boyle for most of the game.

SRHibs
19-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Stevenson driving forward was great to see and every ball he played into the box was threatening. Not his biggest fan but if he plays like that every week he's the first name on the team sheet!

snooky
19-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Welcome back Mr (well, almost) Consistency, to where you should always be.

Shrekko
19-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Wonder if Lewis was just getting a genuine rest. Guessing the testimonial festivities will have taken a toll emotionally and although he had a rare poor game against Hamilton I wouldn't normally expect him to be dropped for that.

Had all his sharpness back tonight and was pretty much perfect. Was weird seeing him on the bench and great to have him back.

Vault Boy
19-09-2017, 11:47 PM
I love Lewis Stevenson

Borderhibbie76
20-09-2017, 06:14 AM
I love Lewis Stevenson

Seconded...wee man was back to his best last night

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 06:26 AM
You're right, he's been a poor defender for longer than a year. No way is he a better LB than Stevenson, ludicrous to even suggest it.

He's a better player. We are conceding far too many goals as a team but Whittaker and effe seem to be getting made the scapegoats when Hanlon and gray have just been as bad. Lewis looked a threat going forward but was still a part of a defence that conceded two. He isn't a magic wand he's part of an experienced defence which collectively has been very poor so far.

Scouse Hibee
20-09-2017, 06:30 AM
He's a better player. We are conceding far too many goals as a team but Whittaker and effe seem to be getting made the scapegoats when Hanlon and gray have just been as bad. Lewis looked a threat going forward but was still a part of a defence that conceded two. He isn't a magic wand he's part of an experienced defence which collectively has been very poor so far.

He's not a better LB.

hibee_girl
20-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Would be very harsh to blame Lewis for either of Livi's goals last night

Firestarter
20-09-2017, 08:16 AM
A couple of games dropped looks to have done him the World of good. Well done Lewis and welcome. Ack into the side.

Peevemor
20-09-2017, 08:25 AM
A couple of games dropped looks to have done him the World of good. Well done Lewis and welcome. Ack into the side.

I don't think he looked bad before he was dropped.

KWJ
20-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Reckon Lewis and Hanlon's link up play with the attacking players was brilliant last night.

Both played particularly great balls into Stokes with Lewis' one into the box behind the defense sublime.

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Would be very harsh to blame Lewis for either of Livi's goals last night
I know it would be because its lewis stevenson similar to Paul Hanlon because they are both Hibs through and through.We can all have bash at sw and ambrose however.

Firestarter
20-09-2017, 08:47 AM
I don't think he looked bad before he was dropped.

He was playing within himself imo last season and the start of this. Appetite was back massively last night.

Firestarter
20-09-2017, 08:49 AM
I know it would be because its lewis stevenson similar to Paul Hanlon because they are both Hibs through and through.We can all have bash at sw and ambrose however.

I definitely see your point like. Little bit of blame for either and it's the anti christ. They are Hibs legends and rightfully so but you can't absolve them of
Any blame at all whilst Ambrose and Whittaker are ripped to shreds.

Borderhibbie76
20-09-2017, 08:59 AM
I know it would be because its lewis stevenson similar to Paul Hanlon because they are both Hibs through and through.We can all have bash at sw and ambrose however.So Ru happy with Ambrose and Whitts level of performance so far this season mate?? Both experienced pros who should be doing a lot better and the quicker they bothbfind their form the better

Peevemor
20-09-2017, 09:02 AM
He was playing within himself imo last season and the start of this. Appetite was back massively last night.

I had to read that twice. :greengrin

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 09:10 AM
So Ru happy with Ambrose and Whitts level of performance so far this season mate?? Both experienced pros who should be doing a lot better and the quicker they bothbfind their form the better

I've not been happy with the level of performances from any of our defence. If Fontaine was fit I would have him at CB with McG. Would drop Hanlon as well as Ambrose.

Firestarter
20-09-2017, 09:17 AM
I had to read that twice. :greengrin

😂😂 he's got thousands of admirers so get your specs on mate.

scoopyboy
20-09-2017, 09:18 AM

I thought that as well, he has barely missed a game and maybe the wee rest has helped.

Ritchie
20-09-2017, 09:18 AM
I've not been happy with the level of performances from any of our defence. If Fontaine was fit I would have him at CB with McG. Would drop Hanlon as well as Ambrose.

You can't drop Hanlon. He is suffering because of the bomb scare next to him. Ambrose makes the whole back 4 and keeper nervous.

I don't understand why Porteous wasn't given a chance last night - he hasn't put a foot wrong any game he's played.

scoopyboy
20-09-2017, 09:21 AM
I definitely see your point like. Little bit of blame for either and it's the anti christ. They are Hibs legends and rightfully so but you can't absolve them of
Any blame at all whilst Ambrose and Whittaker are ripped to shreds.

I think it's the opposite most of the time, because they have came through the ranks they get more abuse than brought in players.

I know a couple of Tranent guys who said because they were locals they would never sign for Tranent Juniors as they would get absolute pelters from the crowd. Witnessed it myself at tranent and thought Paul Kane suffered the same years ago at Easter Road.

Firestarter
20-09-2017, 09:29 AM
I think it's the opposite most of the time, because they have came through the ranks they get more abuse than brought in players.

I know a couple of Tranent guys who said because they were locals they would never sign for Tranent Juniors as they would get absolute pelters from the crowd. Witnessed it myself at tranent and thought Paul Kane suffered the same years ago at Easter Road.

I would agree in the past it's been the case especially when players breaking through couldn't match the expectations the golden generation set but with Lewis and Paul because they are legends and been at the club so long they are blameless to some and I can see why! Whilst proving your point the pelters Swanson has got at times is ott because he's
One of us and we expect better whilst the mysterious Slivka gets shouts to play every single game.

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 09:44 AM
You can't drop Hanlon. He is suffering because of the bomb scare next to him. Ambrose makes the whole back 4 and keeper nervous.

I don't understand why Porteous wasn't given a chance last night - he hasn't put a foot wrong any game he's played.

You prove my point.

Blaster
20-09-2017, 10:15 AM
You prove my point.

Put it another way, do you think ambrose is struggling because of hanlon?

Thought not. McGregor and hanlon is the best partnership and the quicker we can get back to that the better.

pacoluna
20-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Put it another way, do you think ambrose is struggling because of hanlon?

Thought not. McGregor and hanlon is the best partnership and the quicker we can get back to that the better.

The whole defence is struggling, to put all the blame on ambrose is ridiculous. Hanlon has made a couple of individual errors as well as others this season so don't see how he is escaping criticism. Collectively as said before defensively we have been poor,each as bad as each other. I would like to see ambrose deployed in defensive Midfield, when the ball is at his feet he can play football and can clearly pick a pass.