PDA

View Full Version : Gary Caldwell

theonlywayisup
16-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Gary Caldwell sacked as Chesterfield manager. He was appointed in January but was unable to save the club from relegation to League Two last season. Today's 2-1 defeat by Accrington left Chesterfield in the drop zone with just one win in 10 games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41296268

Firestarter
16-09-2017, 08:34 PM
He's a prick. Sod him.

silverhibee
16-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Harry Redknapp also sacked by Birmingham City, he signed 14 players in the summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41296238

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Harry Redknapp also sacked by Birmingham City, he signed 14 players in the summer.

Birmingham are a total basket case. Sacking Rowett to bring in Zola was madness.

As for Caldwell, I read his interview during the week about losing the fans and he was practically begging to be sacked imo.

Deansy
16-09-2017, 08:51 PM
He's a prick. Sod him.

Seconded !

IGRIGI
16-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Good, Lego man heided prick.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-09-2017, 09:10 PM
He's a prick. Sod him.

:agree:

brianmc
16-09-2017, 09:14 PM
He's a prick. Sod him.

Thirded ✊💦

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Crystal Palace blinked first and fired the starting gun.

Stokesy's on fire
17-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Why do so many hibees dislike Gary Caldwell?

therealgavmac
17-09-2017, 08:18 AM
On an unrelated point but a Hibs interest, see Sol scored the late equaliser for Cardiff yesterday

Is It On....
17-09-2017, 08:24 AM

"When Gary Rowett was sacked in December, they [Birmingham] had been seventh in the table". That was an amazing decision, compounded by the fact his replacement [Zola] had provided no evidence of being capable of doing a good job.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 08:30 AM

He signed a pre contract for Celtic. He was one of the first to do it I think - Ian Murray and riordan followed him.

I can't remember what he said in the papers but it pissed a fair few folk off, so much so that he was booed next game and made a couple of howlers on the back off it - vs Aberdeen iirc.

Broken Gnome
17-09-2017, 08:33 AM
He signed a pre contract for Celtic. He was one of the first to do it I think - Ian Murray and riordan followed him.

I can't remember what he said in the papers but it pissed a fair few folk off, so much so that he was booed next game and made a couple of howlers on the back off it - vs Aberdeen iirc.

Murray was the first, then the others over the next year.

He was prone to howlers anyway, plus had an air of thinking he was a big shot. Wee things that you exaggerate if it's someone who leaves for Glasgow, basically.

Plus he gave it big licks the first time he came back to play us.

bigwheel
17-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Caldwell did well for us. He never pretended he was anything other than the "pro footballer"..never implied he had fallen in love with our club. I recall before his last contract with us, he spent the summer trying to get a better deal elsewhere ...he went over to Holland, but didn't secure a deal, eventually signing for us just before the league started...That said, he largely performed well for us, and even after his pre contract with Celtic was one of our better performers..

DH1875
17-09-2017, 08:48 AM
He might have been a dick when he left (can't really remember that though) but he was a good player for us and seem to remember him having some really good game playing in midfield despite him being a defender.

OxoHibby
17-09-2017, 02:30 PM

He's also a prick

IGRIGI
17-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Was a total roaster in the 3-2 game under Collins.

Here's the link for anyone wanting to relive Borus' gift.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg

silverhibee
17-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Reported you to Matty, Hibs got a fee for Riordan :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Reported you to Matty, Hibs got a fee for Riordan :greengrin

:hilarious on a technicality only though.

Iggy Pope
17-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Caldwell did well for us. He never pretended he was anything other than the "pro footballer"..never implied he had fallen in love with our club. I recall before his last contract with us, he spent the summer trying to get a better deal elsewhere ...he went over to Holland, but didn't secure a deal, eventually signing for us just before the league started...That said, he largely performed well for us, and even after his pre contract with Celtic was one of our better performers..

Think that was his only contract? We had him on a loan deal while his contract ran down at Newcastle, then he touted himself, got nowhere, and came back. Think his first game as a bona fide Hibby was Vetra.

17-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Total classless fud.

Thecat23
17-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Great lad, got a lot of time for Gary.

Stevie Reid
17-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Was a very good player for us. Don't have any issue with him.

Was unlucky to get sacked by Wigan, but obviously did poorly in his latest job.

brog
17-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Great lad, got a lot of time for Gary.

Absolutely. Gave 100% for us & was excellent regardless of position he was asked to play in. Was outstanding in our LC semi win at RB versus original Rangers.

Joe6-2
17-09-2017, 06:17 PM

He only stayed at Hibs because no one else wanted him!

Dalianwanda
17-09-2017, 06:21 PM
He only stayed at Hibs because no one else wanted him!

If it was teams of a higher level what players would?

kaimendhibs
17-09-2017, 06:23 PM
He's a prick. Sod him.Agreed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Holmesdale Hibs
17-09-2017, 06:49 PM

He was being a fud that game but the fans, myself included, were winding him up from the start so don't hold it against him. I'm sure we all said much worse than he did so don't really feel we have the right to complain about the way he reacts.

Was a good player for us in the day. Don't know anything about him as a manager.

poolman
17-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Yup, that's why

Mantis Toboggan
17-09-2017, 07:04 PM
He was very good for us. Remember him getting heavily booed after an error in a game once it was clear he was going to leave which was totally unfair.
Did once see him getting absolutely murdered by Suarez when I used to go Wigan games. Got subbed off even though he was captain to prevent further humiliation. Must have been a sore one.

Firestarter
17-09-2017, 07:06 PM
If it was teams of a higher level what players would?

He can win to the club, done very well then said he didn't want to stay. He went down South, done nothing, we gave him another chance, ended up making him club captain, he then signed a pca with Celtic which they where delighted to confirm and derail our season. It could have been done a lot quieter.

He then came back to ER and acted like a twat.

Firestarter
17-09-2017, 07:08 PM
He was very good for us. Remember him getting heavily booed after an error in a game once it was clear he was going to leave which was totally unfair.
Did once see him getting absolutely murdered by Suarez when I used to go Wigan games. Got subbed off even though he was captain to prevent further humiliation. Must have been a sore one.

Probably the Hearts match when him and zibbi smashed into each other leaving them an empty net in the benji game I think.

A club captain should never announce he's away to one of the old firm with 6 months left, no sure what was expected?

Pretty Boy
17-09-2017, 07:27 PM
He can win to the club, done very well then said he didn't want to stay. He went down South, done nothing, we gave him another chance, ended up making him club captain, he then signed a pca with Celtic which they where delighted to confirm and derail our season. It could have been done a lot quieter.

He then came back to ER and acted like a twat.

Tbf to Caldwell he was in a awkward position. Ian Murray had signed a pre contract with Rangers the season before and kept it quiet. He was criticised. Caldwell signed a pre contract with Celtic, announced it. He was criticised.

Pretty much nothing he could have done after he signed that pre contract would have pleased anyone.

McD
17-09-2017, 07:43 PM
He was a player I just never took to, and didn't really like. He got my full support as a player in our jersey, just never liked him.

.Sean.
17-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Good enough for him. Total fud.

I've never seen a Hibs player receive a reception like the one he got v Aberdeen just after it came to light he'd signed a pre-contract. Sold a goal early on in the game too IIRC

Smartie
17-09-2017, 07:58 PM
He was a player I just never took to, and didn't really like. He got my full support as a player in our jersey, just never liked him.

Yep, me too.

Never really rated him as a player either.

He had some good games for us, but I didn't ever think he was as good as he thought he was.

It was a bit of a mystery to me that he got so many Scotland caps and was as highly thought of as he was.

lord bunberry
17-09-2017, 08:12 PM
He was a good player for us, but not half as good as he thought he was. I don't think I've ever seen a player give away more penalties in a season than he did. Once he signed that pre contract he should've been dropped for the rest of the season.

Firestarter
17-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Tbf to Caldwell he was in a awkward position. Ian Murray had signed a pre contract with Rangers the season before and kept it quiet. He was criticised. Caldwell signed a pre contract with Celtic, announced it. He was criticised.

Pretty much nothing he could have done after he signed that pre contract would have pleased anyone.

I can see that point of view also you're right.

Mantis Toboggan
17-09-2017, 08:21 PM

I've never seen a Hibs player receive a reception like the one he got v Aberdeen just after it came to light he'd signed a pre-contract. Sold a goal early on in the game too IIRC

That's the game I was thinking of.
Understood fans were frustrated but sustained abuse of a key player wasn't exactly helpful.

Velma Dinkley
17-09-2017, 08:22 PM
How good did he think he was?

brog
17-09-2017, 08:33 PM
How good did he think he was?

He was good enough to win 55 caps. Now there's many players I don't think should be near a Scotland team, Forrest, Mulgrew & Berra for 3, but 55 caps is impressive regardless of anyone's opinion of his playing ability.

eastmainsmsh
17-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Comes from fallin in stirling as does Jim ryan man united always liked Caldwell

Pretty Boy
17-09-2017, 08:51 PM
I can see that point of view also you're right.

I still don't like him I should add.

pacorosssco
17-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Should have seen him win at player of year doo. Could have heard a pin drop and he won in a season Brown Riorden Oconner Thompson were sensational. Eddie Turnbull got his missing caps that night which saved the vibe

pacorosssco
17-09-2017, 09:02 PM
He was good enough to win 55 caps. Now there's many players I don't think should be near a Scotland team, Forrest, Mulgrew & Berra for 3, but 55 caps is impressive regardless of anyone's opinion of his playing ability.

Stanton got nowhere near that but Caldwell nowhere near Stanton playing in blindfold yet he made self available and did best. Didnt rate but no real competition at time. Mulgrew has performed well for Scotland in many games and imo better than Caldwell. Grateful fir goal v france though.