PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bartley

theonlywayisup
16-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Despite the gloom of today's result, I thought big Marvin had a good game and was surprised to see him substituted.

One highlight was when he chased down a Motherwell through ball, matching the attackers pace and shepherded the ball out for a goal kick.

I know, nothing special. But he showed pace and strength when it mattered. Could easily have resulted in a Motherwell attack on goal, had it not been for big Marv.

Thought he was second in the MOTM race behind Stokes.

Smartie
16-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Despite the gloom of today's result, I thought big Marvin had a good game and was surprised to see him substituted.

One highlight was when he chased down a Motherwell through ball, matching the attackers pace and shepherded the ball out for a goal kick.

I know, nothing special. But he showed pace and strength when it mattered. Could easily have resulted in a Motherwell attack on goal, had it not been for big Marv.

Thought he was second in the MOTM race behind Stokes.

Yep, he was good.

I think the formation hangs him out to dry - too much is expected of him in a midfield 2, but he knocked his pan in and you'd expect him to tire.

He took a couple of knocks, I don't know if that may have influenced the decision to take him off.

Bartley, Gray, McGinn and Stokes looked like they were the only players we had on the field for a spell at the start of the second half, Bartley more than anyone was trying to hold our team together as we were falling to pieces.

weecounty hibby
16-09-2017, 07:37 PM
In the midst of all the doom laden threads about various players I was going to start one about big Marv. Once again he was superb at what he is there to do. Broke play up and gave the easy ball to Hibs players. Worked his arse off with not much support in there

cabbageandribs1875
16-09-2017, 07:39 PM
give the man a contract extension NOW.....before Barca come a calling :agree:

theonlywayisup
16-09-2017, 07:39 PM
In the midst of all the doom laden threads about various players I was going to start one about big Marv. Once again he was superb at what he is there to do. Broke play up and gave the easy ball to Hibs players. Worked his arse off with not much support in there

:agree::agree::agree:

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm torn on Bartley.

He's very good at what he does but I'm umsure he has enough football about him in a midfield 2. It's been said we haven't yet got the balance right and I think that's correct and Bartley is a part of that. We need to find away to get another body in the middle of the park without losing the width options or resorting to the 1 up top which we are totally unsuited for.

Tough situation for the manager but a riddle he has to solve.

LaMotta
16-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Bartley was brilliant today.

wookie70
16-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Thought he was very good off the ball as usual but actually thought he was very decent on the ball.

neil7908
16-09-2017, 07:50 PM
He was great and not just defensively, he actually passed the ball well when he had it.

matty_f
16-09-2017, 08:49 PM
He was great and not just defensively, he actually passed the ball well when he had it.

:agree: Bartley is one of our best players, imho.

O'Rourke3
16-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Was expecting Barker to go when Marvin was taken off. Stoke'2 goals were the difference for MOM for me. Marv was excellent

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

J-C
16-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Put in a shift today, favourite bit was the 2nd half when he had the ball and the crowd all shouted to tell him he was being closed down, he quickly passed the ball and did a thumbs up to us in the East as a thanks. :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Very soon the fabled Matty Jack role will be a distant memory.

alihibs1
16-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Anyone know the new Bartley chant?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16-09-2017, 10:40 PM
He seemed gutted in his post match interview. I love him.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Marvin is a great defender the problem is he is very uncomfortable with the ball.

KWJ
16-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Very soon the fabled Matty Jack role will be a distant memory.

He's already taken that IMO. Or at least is the first to do so since the man, the myth, the legend himself.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Marvin is a great defender the problem is he is very uncomfortable with the ball.

I think it's a bit harsh to say he's uncomfortable with the ball. He's happy to receive it and usually finds a Hibs player with it.

I think limited would be a better description. He's never likely to beat a man or spray about 30-40 yard passs that take 3 players out the game. That's fine as it's not his role but he needs more than one other in there to take advantage of what he does bring to the team.

The defence are getting a lot of flak today, and rightly so to an extent, but part of that is because our midfield was totally overrun due to inferior numbers which put a lot of pressure on our back line.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2017, 10:55 PM
I think it's a bit harsh to say he's uncomfortable with the ball. He's happy to receive it and usually finds a Hibs player with it.

I think limited would be a better description. He's never likely to beat a man or spray about 30-40 yard passs that take 3 players out the game. That's fine as it's not his role but he needs more than one other in there to take advantage of what he does bring to the team.

The defence are getting a lot of flak today, and rightly so to an extent, but part of that is because our midfield was totally overrun due to inferior numbers which put a lot of pressure on our back line.

I dont disagree it is not Marvs game I think he would be far better with McGeoch in the team as his first thought is as soon as he gets the ball who can I lay this off to or take a hit and get the foul. Nothing wrong with that but with Murray Boyle, Barker and Stokes we need more creativity in midfield imho. One of tbose four has to drop out.