PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 16 September)

Jonnyboy
16-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Having walked away from both Dens Park and McDiarmid Park in recent weeks, feeling that we’d played well enough to consider each draw as two points lost, I walked away from today’s game against Motherwell feeling that it was a point gained. Somehow we managed to get a 2-0 lead but by the end of the game we were hanging on and facing a barrage of attacks from the visitors.

Starting the game with the same eleven that took to the field against St Johnstone, it was fair to assume that the good form shown in that game would continue in front of a bumper home crowd. In fact, I felt we started slowly with passes going astray and players being caught in possession whereas Motherwell broke at pace and we had a job containing them.

After a ropey fifteen minutes, Anthony Stokes was hauled down in the box for what to me looked like a stick on penalty but referee Barry Cook waved claims aside. Motherwell’s Carl McHugh was then booked for diving in the Hibs penalty area and minutes later, Boyle raced into the box, going down under a challenge from Tait. At the game my Brother felt there was minimal contact but referee Cook pointed to the spot and Stokes put Hibs 1-0 up. There was a thought that Cook was ‘righting the wrong’ of denying the earlier claim.

One bright spot for Hibs in the first half was the play of Brandon Barker, who tormented the visiting right back and fired in a few decent crosses. If anything though, he tended to hold onto the ball too long at times when an early cross might have caught the Motherwell defenders scrambling back.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Stokes and Barker played a wee give and go at the edge of the Motherwell box. It looked like a defender would step in but the ball found its way to Stokes who cleverly netted with the outside of his boot. At this point, Hibs should have concentrated on keeping the ball but still passes were going astray and it seemed like the midfield had never heard the expression ‘second ball.’ Less than ten minutes later, appalling marking allowed what was a bread and butter cross to be headed home by Louis Moult and a further ten minutes on, he struck again when Hibs failed to clear the ball on the edge of their area.

Motherwell were very much on the front foot now and I genuinely felt we’d concede a third but as the clock ticked slowly down we managed to preserve the point.

In general, I felt far too many players performed below their best and that the introduction of McGeouch arrived too late for him to steady the ship and create from midfield.

The players

Rocky – was all over the place today. Flapped at a few crosses, kicked poorly at times and for my money was at fault for Moult’s first goal when he could and should have come to collect the cross.

David Gray – Solid enough but suffered from the lack of movement ahead of him. Could have done better stopping crosses coming into the Hibs box.

Efe – Took a couple of sore ones and I’ve no idea what he was doing with a high pass back to the keeper and a second clearance attempt going straight up in the air! Didn’t win many headers either which is the minimum I’d expect from a central defender.

Paul Hanlon – As with Gray he seemed solid enough but turning your back instead of closing down allowed Moult the space to shoot his second goal of the game.

Whitty – Very poor from the off in my view. Slack marking and even slacker passing means I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lewis in for the next game.

Boyler – not at his best and in fact I thought that the poorest performance from him in a while. Brilliantly set free down the right by Murray, he looked up, saw Stokes free in the middle and fluffed his pass.

Marv – Did what Marv does. Got in amongst them and broke play up but after their second goal he seemed to be fighting a lone battle in midfield.

SJM – Did well enough early doors but was harried throughout by young Allan Campbell (No. 22) who stuck to the task of stifling our best player. The young lad quickly cottoned on to STM letting the ball run across his body while he planted his feet. As a result, SJM kept turning right into Campbell’s path.

Barker – Excellent first half in which he tormented the Motherwell right flank but was a tad slow at times with his delivery. Tired a lot towards the end and should have set the unmarked Slivka free at the death but fell over the ball instead.

Murray – This laddie has a thankless task. Pumping high balls to him is not the answer but when he did get it to feet he linked the play well enough.

Stokesy – The one player who, in my view, played to form and was named man of the match, a decision I agree with. Stroked home the penalty and it was a very clever finish for the second. Was kinda bizarre though, watching him take corners.

Big Dave – replaced Murray but was unable to use his height and build to effect in their box due to a chronic lack of crosses

Slivka – booked within seconds of coming on when he and a Motherwell player jumped for a ball and clashed heads. I’ve no idea what the booking was for to be honest. Played ok, during his twenty minutes on the park.

Dylan – Got six minutes and you have to ask why when it was obvious we needed to keep possession of the ball and Dylan is excellent at that very thing.

Referee – He may be Cook but he was not Barry. Erratic decisions, none more so than the late one when Motherwell were gifted a free kick when no foul had actually occurred.

The fans – Tremendous numbers again but not a lot of noise. The guys in the upper Famous Five try their best but I sit in the East, roughly level with the home dugout and the loudest noise throughout was from the visiting fans in the South. I’m not having a pop at our guys, I just feel they’re wasted tucked away in that corner and should return to their high up position in S43.

Stadium Announcer – Step aside Barry because young Jack was the star of the day!

greenlex
16-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Wouldn't argue with most of that JC. I thought the ref got most things about right Barr a pen shout in the first half and the bizarre incident you recall. The guy Cadden throws himself into Witty and get hurt in the process. He hasn't even given a free kick as the ball went out and after Cadden gets attention gives them the free kick. Oh and one other thing was a Slivkas yellow. Was barely even a foul as they both went for the ball and the boy got hurt. So ther han thatthought he did ok.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Agree with much of that J. Particularly the comments re McGeough, we are simply a better team when he plays imo.

cabbageandribs1875
16-09-2017, 07:15 PM
The fans – Tremendous numbers again but not a lot of noise. The guys in the upper Famous Five try their best but I sit in the East, roughly level with the home dugout and the loudest noise throughout was from the visiting fans in the South. I’m not having a pop at our guys, I just feel they’re wasted tucked away in that corner and should return to their high up position in S43.

Stadium Announcer – Step aside Barry because young Jack was the star of the day!

i said as much in another thread and i'm even nearer them in sect 38, lord knows who made the decision to stick them in a faraway corner...easier for the stewards to contain i guess, something no right when we can hear the away fans far louder/clearer than another section *just a short stones throw away

* not that i want to throw stones mind

Billy Whizz
16-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Spot on report Johnnyboy. At 2-0 McGeough should have been on, as we gave the ball away at every opportunity. By the time he came on, it was too late.
As a few of as have said over the last few weeks, the balance in the team isn't quite right yet. Need to get back to winning ways and soon, as this is an unforgiving league

Thanks for your mention of Jack, thought he did just fine!

Carheenlea
16-09-2017, 07:24 PM
i said as much in another thread and i'm even nearer them in sect 38, lord knows who made the decision to stick them in a faraway corner...easier for the stewards to contain i guess, something no right when we can hear the away fans far louder/clearer than another section *just a short stones throw away

* not that i want to throw stones mind

I was in the South with the kids today, and it was disapointing how quiet the new section sounded. Atmosphere in general was good within the stadium, but the singing section has not had the effect I was hoping for.

edwards
16-09-2017, 07:27 PM
We badly miss a fit Darren McGregor in the centre of defence. Just don't feel comfortable with Efe agree can't jump and is beaten in the air quite a lot.

ehf
16-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Having walked away from both Dens Park and McDiarmid Park in recent weeks, feeling that we’d played well enough to consider each draw as two points lost, I walked away from today’s game against Motherwell feeling that it was a point gained. Somehow we managed to get a 2-0 lead but by the end of the game we were hanging on and facing a barrage of attacks from the visitors.

Starting the game with the same eleven that took to the field against St Johnstone, it was fair to assume that the good form shown in that game would continue in front of a bumper home crowd. In fact, I felt we started slowly with passes going astray and players being caught in possession whereas Motherwell broke at pace and we had a job containing them.

After a ropey fifteen minutes, Anthony Stokes was hauled down in the box for what to me looked like a stick on penalty but referee Barry Cook waved claims aside. Motherwell’s Carl McHugh was then booked for diving in the Hibs penalty area and minutes later, Boyle raced into the box, going down under a challenge from Tait. At the game my Brother felt there was minimal contact but referee Cook pointed to the spot and Stokes put Hibs 1-0 up. There was a thought that Cook was ‘righting the wrong’ of denying the earlier claim.

One bright spot for Hibs in the first half was the play of Brandon Barker, who tormented the visiting right back and fired in a few decent crosses. If anything though, he tended to hold onto the ball too long at times when an early cross might have caught the Motherwell defenders scrambling back.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Stokes and Barker played a wee give and go at the edge of the Motherwell box. It looked like a defender would step in but the ball found its way to Stokes who cleverly netted with the outside of his boot. At this point, Hibs should have concentrated on keeping the ball but still passes were going astray and it seemed like the midfield had never heard the expression ‘second ball.’ Less than ten minutes later, appalling marking allowed what was a bread and butter cross to be headed home by Louis Moult and a further ten minutes on, he struck again when Hibs failed to clear the ball on the edge of their area.

Motherwell were very much on the front foot now and I genuinely felt we’d concede a third but as the clock ticked slowly down we managed to preserve the point.

In general, I felt far too many players performed below their best and that the introduction of McGeouch arrived too late for him to steady the ship and create from midfield.

The players

Rocky – was all over the place today. Flapped at a few crosses, kicked poorly at times and for my money was at fault for Moult’s first goal when he could and should have come to collect the cross.

David Gray – Solid enough but suffered from the lack of movement ahead of him. Could have done better stopping crosses coming into the Hibs box.

Efe – Took a couple of sore ones and I’ve no idea what he was doing with a high pass back to the keeper and a second clearance attempt going straight up in the air! Didn’t win many headers either which is the minimum I’d expect from a central defender.

Paul Hanlon – As with Gray he seemed solid enough but turning your back instead of closing down allowed Moult the space to shoot his second goal of the game.

Whitty – Very poor from the off in my view. Slack marking and even slacker passing means I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lewis in for the next game.

Boyler – not at his best and in fact I thought that the poorest performance from him in a while. Brilliantly set free down the right by Murray, he looked up, saw Stokes free in the middle and fluffed his pass.

Marv – Did what Marv does. Got in amongst them and broke play up but after their second goal he seemed to be fighting a lone battle in midfield.

SJM – Did well enough early doors but was harried throughout by young Allan Campbell (No. 22) who stuck to the task of stifling our best player. The young lad quickly cottoned on to STM letting the ball run across his body while he planted his feet. As a result, SJM kept turning right into Campbell’s path.

Barker – Excellent first half in which he tormented the Motherwell right flank but was a tad slow at times with his delivery. Tired a lot towards the end and should have set the unmarked Slivka free at the death but fell over the ball instead.

Murray – This laddie has a thankless task. Pumping high balls to him is not the answer but when he did get it to feet he linked the play well enough.

Stokesy – The one player who, in my view, played to form and was named man of the match, a decision I agree with. Stroked home the penalty and it was a very clever finish for the second. Was kinda bizarre though, watching him take corners.

Big Dave – replaced Murray but was unable to use his height and build to effect in their box due to a chronic lack of crosses

Slivka – booked within seconds of coming on when he and a Motherwell player jumped for a ball and clashed heads. I’ve no idea what the booking was for to be honest. Played ok, during his twenty minutes on the park.

Dylan – Got six minutes and you have to ask why when it was obvious we needed to keep possession of the ball and Dylan is excellent at that very thing.

Referee – He may be Cook but he was not Barry. Erratic decisions, none more so than the late one when Motherwell were gifted a free kick when no foul had actually occurred.

Agree with all of that, save that I thought Stokes dived at the first penalty incident and the ref called it right.

Would also give a mention to the Motherwell fans; a good turnout of 900 plus, they generated a great atmosphere and stayed right behind their team even when it looked as if we were on track for a very fortuitous and unmerited win.

From our perspective, frankly we were a shambles today and I can't think of any plus points, save perhaps for Barker's first half performance.

Sir David Gray
16-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Agree with all of that.

If Dylan McGeouch doesn't get a run of games now then I'll be very surprised.

We are crying out for his composure in the middle of the park.

kaimendhibs
16-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Agree with all of that, save that I thought Stokes dived at the first penalty incident and the ref called it right.

Would also give a mention to the Motherwell fans; a good turnout of 900 plus, they generated a great atmosphere and stayed right behind their team even when it looked as if we were on track for a very fortuitous and unmerited win.

From our perspective, frankly we were a shambles today and I can't think of any plus points, save perhaps for Barker's first half performance.Clear trip on stokes but no pen for boyle so reckon ref evened it up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DarlingtonHibee
16-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Just back, honestly!! Train diverted to Carlisle, then back across to Newcastle and finally Darlington! Good to see a few hibees on the train. Though we got lucky in the end to get a point, strong first half. That said great to see Easter Road so busy and fair play times the well fans didn't stop for 90 minutes. Thought Bartley was superb.

matty_f
16-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I thought we were comfortable first half without being spectacular and deserved to go in a goal ahead. Second half was terrible though, we weren't even second to every ball at one point.

Barker was great first half, terrible second half. Whittaker was brutal, McGinn did OK, Bartley was good, and Stokes was our man of the match.

Defensively, we look chronic. The sooner we go back to playing Hanlon and McGregor the better.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 08:06 AM
I would agree with alot of the Johnny.

We seem to be scratching around trying to find the right formula at the moment. Marv did an interview with Evening News I think it was where he described the current experiment with 4-2-3-1. Its a decent foration if you have the right payers to play it but at the moment I dont think we have and its a bit of a struggle. In that formation you need attacking fullback when you have the ball and defensive wingers to funnel back when we dont have the ball, we're a sort of half way house with it.

Couple of observations from yesterday (probably already stated elswhere), wasnt sure why Barker, a constant threat in the first half on the left was switched to the right where he was totally ineffective in the second half.

Rocky had probably his poorest game in a Hibs shirt.

Defensively at set pieces we were very poor inparticualy at corners.

Im struggling to see what Whitty has over Lewis.

I would go back to tried and tested back four of SDG, Hanlon, Efe (Daz would be there if fit) and Stephenson, a midfield three of SJM, Marv and Dylan (I always think McGinn plays better with Dylan in the team) and Boyle, Murray and Stokes up front.

It appears every team has an away kit of black this season.

SolentHibee
17-09-2017, 08:32 AM
totally spot on, SJM had a torrid time of the first half but I thought he did generally ok and still ended coming out on top of a very physical and competitive Well midfield. Barker terrified their defenders first half and Hibs could easily have had more goals in that period. At all times though, and for most of this season so far, the defence was indecisive and fragile and it seems we are always liable to lose poor goals and that is what happened.

Throughout the game though, Well's front two's movement was outstanding, and yes, they seemed to win every second ball.

The last five minutes I thought we became threatening again, with Stokes trying to take the game to the opposition. It was typical of this season that right at the death nobody would have been surprised if we'd lost a goal as Motherwell made a final sortie upfield.

HibbySpurs
17-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Cheers for the summaries. In Yorkshire this weekend so missed the game.

Regardless, can't help but be disappointed at throwing away a 2 goal lead at home.

hibee_girl
17-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Good read JB, I missed yesterday's game so was looking forward to reading your thread :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
17-09-2017, 05:51 PM
I would agree with alot of the Johnny.

We seem to be scratching around trying to find the right formula at the moment. Marv did an interview with Evening News I think it was where he described the current experiment with 4-2-3-1. Its a decent foration if you have the right payers to play it but at the moment I dont think we have and its a bit of a struggle. In that formation you need attacking fullback when you have the ball and defensive wingers to funnel back when we dont have the ball, we're a sort of half way house with it.

Couple of observations from yesterday (probably already stated elswhere), wasnt sure why Barker, a constant threat in the first half on the left was switched to the right where he was totally ineffective in the second half.

Rocky had probably his poorest game in a Hibs shirt.

Defensively at set pieces we were very poor inparticualy at corners.

Im struggling to see what Whitty has over Lewis.

I would go back to tried and tested back four of SDG, Hanlon, Efe (Daz would be there if fit) and Stephenson, a midfield three of SJM, Marv and Dylan (I always think McGinn plays better with Dylan in the team) and Boyle, Murray and Stokes up front.

It appears every team has an away kit of black this season.

Agree with just about everything in the OP ...... quoted you because it brings me back to my moan about away strips after the Hamilton game ... so far we have seen colourful Partick Thistle in black, colourful Hamilton in boring blue and colourful Motherwell in black .... are the clubs in the Scottish premier league trying to make the game as drab as possible .... not just that, but I want the teams we are playing to look like themselves, our last 3 home games could have been against anybody if the strips have anything to do with it !!! ....... Its doing my sodding head in !!!!