PDA

View Full Version : A team of Jekylls and Hydes today.

Smartie
16-09-2017, 05:37 PM
I think I must be getting infected by the hibs.net tendency for everything to be either amazing or crap, but that was as extreme a performance as I have seen. Brilliant at times going forward, then crap. Woeful defensively for 90 minutes. Some players brilliant for spells and then crap.

There wasn't much average today, there didn't seem to be any shades of grey.

Rocky - absolutely hopeless today. Normally so reliable, that was about as bad as anything Zibi inflicted on us. Flapped at everything, badly to blame for the first goal, possibly the second.

Ambrose - all over the place. How has this guy played so many International matches and Champions League games? Presumably by playing a great deal better than this. You can see he has bucketloads of a ability, how can he make so many errors of judgement and get caught in possession when he can sometimes do sublime, difficult stuff with ease?

Hanlon - seems to have developed Ambrose syndrome. I never used to get why some folk didn't take to him, as he was mostly immaculate - many more performances like today and vs Accies and I'll be joining Gail's anti-Hanlon club.

David Gray - I actually thought he was superb today, and doesn't deserve to be grouped in with that calamitous defence. No doubt he'll be dropped to accommodate Whittaker next week.

Whittaker - Half asleep, dithering, confused, hopeless. This guy was in a Scotland squad a couple of weeks ago. Is capable of so, so much better.

McGinn - I actually thought he had a fine game and didn't see the times he was supposedly giving the ball away. A powerhouse in our midfield, was not remotely to blame today - he drove us forward, as he so often does.

Bartley - immense, really good. He almost held us together when the whole team fell apart after we went 2-0 up.

Boyle - really good game, excellent player. We went to pieces when he went off.

Barker (first half, and until we went 2-0 up) looked like he should be taken back to City and stuck in the first team. Tormented their full-back, beat players for fun even when they doubled up on him and put countless good balls into the box. As good a half as I have seen from a Hibs winger for years.

Barker (after we went 2-0 up) - absolutely hopeless. Occasionally emerged from complete anonymity to trip over the ball or fall on his backside, looking like a player who wouldn't get near a Sunday League side.

Stokes - absolutely superb. A bit quiet first half but great composure for the penalty. Good finish for his second, after good tenacity won the ball back, after linking up well with Barker. Showed lovely touches throughout, was a constant threat. He really impressed me today.

Murray - ok, we had one average player. Had a solid enough game whilst he was on without being brilliant but boy did we miss him when he went off. He did have one great Jekyll and Hyde moment in the first half when he gave the ball away badly, in an awful position, then tanked back to the LB position to win it back quite brilliantly.

Big Davy - absolutely hopeless. Hasn't looked like winning a header, in spite of being huge. Doesn't seem to know how to play the position, where to put himself - wherever he went, it was wrong. We lost our way as soon as he went on. He's not had much game time, but he doesn't look to me like he's earned the right to get any more.

Slivka - he did surprisingly make a few mistakes, but he also made some superb driving runs and decent passes too. He's been by far our most impressive summer signing, yet really struggles to get a game? I can't believe we haven't found a starting role for him yet.

ClewsHibs
16-09-2017, 05:39 PM
I thought Slivka was class when he came on

SRHibs
16-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Slivka not starting the past couple of games is very strange..

rotherhamrob
16-09-2017, 06:06 PM

I think you can add Dylan to that as well.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 06:13 PM

I'd be tempted to go back to 3 at the back to fit him, and/or McGeough, in. Bartley is good at what he does but it does leave us with only 1 real footballer in the centre of the park.

Issue we have is we are well short at CB so that's probably difficult to do at the moment.

'mon the beers
16-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Could also go back to a midfield diamond made up of Marv, SJM, Dylan and Slivka - there are a few options to get Dylan and Slivka in the team which is a must for me! Lewis must be back in after Whittakers performance today but there could be a few needing dropped if there's no improvement.

greenlex
16-09-2017, 09:10 PM
I think I must be getting infected by the hibs.net tendency for everything to be either amazing or crap, but that was as extreme a performance as I have seen. Brilliant at times going forward, then crap. Woeful defensively for 90 minutes. Some players brilliant for spells and then crap.

There wasn't much average today, there didn't seem to be any shades of grey.

Rocky - absolutely hopeless today. Normally so reliable, that was about as bad as anything Zibi inflicted on us. Flapped at everything, badly to blame for the first goal, possibly the second.

Ambrose - all over the place. How has this guy played so many International matches and Champions League games? Presumably by playing a great deal better than this. You can see he has bucketloads of a ability, how can he make so many errors of judgement and get caught in possession when he can sometimes do sublime, difficult stuff with ease?

Hanlon - seems to have developed Ambrose syndrome. I never used to get why some folk didn't take to him, as he was mostly immaculate - many more performances like today and vs Accies and I'll be joining Gail's anti-Hanlon club.

David Gray - I actually thought he was superb today, and doesn't deserve to be grouped in with that calamitous defence. No doubt he'll be dropped to accommodate Whittaker next week.

Whittaker - Half asleep, dithering, confused, hopeless. This guy was in a Scotland squad a couple of weeks ago. Is capable of so, so much better.

McGinn - I actually thought he had a fine game and didn't see the times he was supposedly giving the ball away. A powerhouse in our midfield, was not remotely to blame today - he drove us forward, as he so often does.

Bartley - immense, really good. He almost held us together when the whole team fell apart after we went 2-0 up.

Boyle - really good game, excellent player. We went to pieces when he went off.

Barker (first half, and until we went 2-0 up) looked like he should be taken back to City and stuck in the first team. Tormented their full-back, beat players for fun even when they doubled up on him and put countless good balls into the box. As good a half as I have seen from a Hibs winger for years.

Barker (after we went 2-0 up) - absolutely hopeless. Occasionally emerged from complete anonymity to trip over the ball or fall on his backside, looking like a player who wouldn't get near a Sunday League side.

Stokes - absolutely superb. A bit quiet first half but great composure for the penalty. Good finish for his second, after good tenacity won the ball back, after linking up well with Barker. Showed lovely touches throughout, was a constant threat. He really impressed me today.

Murray - ok, we had one average player. Had a solid enough game whilst he was on without being brilliant but boy did we miss him when he went off. He did have one great Jekyll and Hyde moment in the first half when he gave the ball away badly, in an awful position, then tanked back to the LB position to win it back quite brilliantly.

Big Davy - absolutely hopeless. Hasn't looked like winning a header, in spite of being huge. Doesn't seem to know how to play the position, where to put himself - wherever he went, it was wrong. We lost our way as soon as he went on. He's not had much game time, but he doesn't look to me like he's earned the right to get any more.

Slivka - he did surprisingly make a few mistakes, but he also made some superb driving runs and decent passes too. He's been by far our most impressive summer signing, yet really struggles to get a game? I can't believe we haven't found a starting role for him yet.
I'm not sure Hanlon did a lot wrong today to be honest. Can you remind me as I'm getting auld.

hibsbollah
16-09-2017, 09:22 PM
I thought Hanlon did most things well, Boyle wasn't up to his recent good form and Gray was wobbly, so I'd disagree with that. Or was your intention to do a Jekyll and Hyde review to match your assertion :wink: