PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

AugustaHibs
16-09-2017, 05:26 PM
On a positive note, well done stokes! Some beautiful passes and never stopped running, his intelligence and the way he reads the game is brilalint. Oh and also the fact he got a double

GlesgaeHibby
16-09-2017, 05:34 PM
On a positive note, well done stokes! Some beautiful passes and never stopped running, his intelligence and the way he reads the game is brilalint. Oh and also the fact he got a double

Had a very good game today. Great finish for 2nd. Barker was very good at times today, although needs to work on his decision making.

murray26
16-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Noticed a improvement in him last week in Perth.. he'll keep improving with game time.. as long as he watches himself of the pitch he'll score 20 odd

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Stokes done very well. Him and McGinn only ones who get pass marks.

Billychaotic182
16-09-2017, 05:39 PM

McGinn was very average, his passing was awful and he kept playing himself into trouble. Needs to learn that sometimes the simple ball is the right one. Thought stokes played well

hibsbollah
16-09-2017, 05:39 PM

I also thought Murray was good today. When he did make a mistake he busted a gut to remedy things.

kaimendhibs
16-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Stokes was very good again today. Great workrate too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
16-09-2017, 06:14 PM
McGinn was very average, his passing was awful and he kept playing himself into trouble. Needs to learn that sometimes the simple ball is the right one. Thought stokes played well

We need to get mcginn off dead ball duty as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 06:14 PM

I do remember a stray pass but other than that thought he was the only one in the midfield who could do anything and held up well when Motherwell doubled up on him.

wookie70
16-09-2017, 06:16 PM
I thought Stokes played pretty well today but there were long spells in the game where he was hardly making an effort imo. I thought he upped his work rate when he moved to the left but he failed to put pressure of defenders quite often and looked lack luster for decent chunks of the game. That being said when he is involved he looks good.

Carheenlea
Stokes was excellent today. Same can't be said for his hair transplant - think he might be looking for a refund with that 🙈

Thecat23
I also thought Murray was good today. When he did make a mistake he busted a gut to remedy things.

Thought that was Murray's worst game for us. Done absolutely nothing all game even his usual closing players down wasn't happening. I rate him a lot btw but he deserved to be hooked. Just wasn't his day.

Glory Lurker
16-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Best Stokes performance since his return (amazing against Ayr, but Motherwell obviously a different level).

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Said it elsewhere I thought there was a lot of overplaying from McGinn today. He tried that backing in/hunched back thing about a hundred times and lost out a fair few. At times there were simple passes available that he was ignoring.

I like players trying things and I accept it won't always come off but the best midfielders know when to keep it simple. Watch someone like Iniesta as a prime example or, probably more relevantly, in Scottish terms guys like Scott Brown, Paul Lambert or Barry Ferguson. There's nothing wrong with just recycling the ball sometimes.

Carheenlea
16-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Thought that was Murray's worst game for us. Done absolutely nothing all game even his usual closing players down wasn't happening. I rate him a lot btw but he deserved to be hooked. Just wasn't his day.

He gave the ball away carelessly in the first half, but ran 40 yards to chase ball down. Has a lot of heart, and sure he will go on a goal scoring spree again, but didn't happen for him today.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 06:21 PM

He had one absolutely superb take with his back to goal, spun away and played a beautiful crossfield ball to Boyle who fluffed his pass to Stokes who would have been in on the keeper.

whiskas
16-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Said it elsewhere I thought there was a lot of overplaying from McGinn today. He tried that backing in/hunched back thing about a hundred times and lost out a fair few. At times there were simple passes available that he was ignoring.

I like players trying things and I accept it won't always come off but the best midfielders know when to keep it simple. Watch someone like Iniesta as a prime example or, probably more relevantly, in Scottish terms guys like Scott Brown, Paul Lambert or Barry Ferguson. There's nothing wrong with just recycling the ball sometimes.

This 1000%

MacGruber
16-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Thought Bartley was easily MOM. We were losing 5 there without him

hibsbollah
16-09-2017, 07:28 PM

He was much better today than against Hamilton Accies. You missed the best pass of the whole game too. I respect your opinion though:greengrin

theonlywayisup
16-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Thought Bartley was easily MOM. We were losing 5 there without him

:agree: though still would have Stokes as MOTM

matty_f
16-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Stokes was our best player today, looks like he's getting into his stride now. If he played like that every week he'll have a good season.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 09:15 PM
He gave the ball away carelessly in the first half, but ran 40 yards to chase ball down. Has a lot of heart, and sure he will go on a goal scoring spree again, but didn't happen for him today.

Yeh noticed that as well sent a great ball through late in the first half held it up brilliantly, but Boyle didn't make most of it.
When he was subbed they took over his Workrate is great, the goals will come again.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Stokes was our best player today, looks like he's getting into his stride now. If he played like that every week he'll have a good season.

What a player! his touch is sublime we're lucky to have him, that second goal with outside of boot pure class.

The Harp Awakes
16-09-2017, 09:38 PM
What a player! his touch is sublime we're lucky to have him, that second goal with outside of boot pure class.

Said the same coming away from Perth last week, Stokes is class and his football brain is superior to any SPFL player I've seen so far this season.

Albanian Hibs
17-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Stokes and Bartley were the only pass marks from yesterday

danhibees1875
17-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Stokes and Bartley were the only pass marks from yesterday

Hard to disagree. Barker showed flashes too and was the best of the rest after those two.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 08:46 AM
He was much better today than against Hamilton Accies. You missed the best pass of the whole game too. I respect your opinion though:greengrin

A class moment in the game.

The Harp Awakes
19-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Mr dependable again tonight. A class act.

1van Sprou7e
19-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Far and away our most talented player, had a great game tonight imo

19-09-2017, 11:11 PM
He looks really driven this season and with his natural talent it inevitably leads to goals. A truly great player. Best signing of the summer.

SaulGoodman
19-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Just seen the highlights. What Livi player was he making a beeline for after he scored the Pen?

The Harp Awakes
19-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Just seen the highlights. What Livi player was he making a beeline for after he scored the Pen?

The no 9. The 2 of them were at each other the entire game.

1van Sprou7e
19-09-2017, 11:27 PM

Just looked him up and he's on loan from hertz, no surprise there :rolleyes:

Smartie
19-09-2017, 11:27 PM
I think it's particularly encouraging that Stokes hasn't hit anything like his best form yet, but has still scored a bucketload of goals, has made a significant contribution to our all-round play and is looking better with every passing game.

Shrekko
19-09-2017, 11:31 PM
I think it's particularly encouraging that Stokes hasn't hit anything like his best form yet, but has still scored a bucketload of goals, has made a significant contribution to our all-round play and is looking better with every passing game.

If his performances recently aren't 'anything like his best form' then I can barely contain my excitement because he's been superb.

Smartie
19-09-2017, 11:34 PM
If his performances recently aren't 'anything like his best form' then I can barely contain my excitement because he's been superb.

One of the best performances I've ever seen at Easter Road was when Stokes and Hooper tore us apart for Celtic. We saw what he did in the cup final.

I think he's been good over the last few games but I honestly think he's still got more to give.

I'm not criticising the guy - the opposite. He's doing well, but I think he's going to get better.

SirDavidsNapper
19-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Stokes is head and shoulders above anyone else at Hibs at the moment. A real quality player.

Shrekko
19-09-2017, 11:41 PM
One of the best performances I've ever seen at Easter Road was when Stokes and Hooper tore us apart for Celtic. We saw what he did in the cup final.

I think he's been good over the last few games but I honestly think he's still got more to give.

I'm not criticising the guy - the opposite. He's doing well, but I think he's going to get better.
Fair dues but he won't have anyone as good as Hooper to play with here. He has exceptional performances in him but if he stayed at his current level we'll have a 25 goal striker I reckon.

Firestarter
19-09-2017, 11:43 PM
An absolute class above the rest. Thing is he knows it but he's happy.

Firestarter
19-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Stokes is head and shoulders above anyone else at Hibs at the moment. A real quality player.

Correct. John McGinn has a long way to go to reach that level of class.

Anthony looks like he's trying and cares, it makes a massive difference to his game and I'm thrilled we have him.

kaimendhibs
19-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Guy behind me moaned about him all night, eventually after the penalty I said its lucky we have him eh? Sheepish smile followed. Dumfounded, he is a class act

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
20-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Far and away our most talented player, had a great game tonight imo

My mom against Livi.

Worked extremely hard in and around the box and refused to be bullied.

California-Hibs
20-09-2017, 01:53 AM
People can't complain this time round about the lack of goals in his early start. How manys that he has now?!

hibee_girl
20-09-2017, 07:01 AM

It really confused me that their number 9 was a defender!

alihibs1
20-09-2017, 07:11 AM
People can't complain this time round about the lack of goals in his early start. How manys that he has now?!Think that's 7 in 7 starts I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
20-09-2017, 07:30 AM
It really confused me that their number 9 was a defender!

According to Sky Sports he's not. And his positioning at time would probably back that up, he was all over the shop. His attempted slide tackle on Stokes in the first half down at the East Stand was hilariously bad.

As for Stokes, he's doing well and anyone that's not happy with him needs to re-evaluate their expectations. As others have said though, I think he still has a little bit more to give. If he doesn't reach that, then so be it, we've still got a cracking player, but if he does then he's going to tear teams apart.

green day
20-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Think that's 7 in 7 starts I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stokes said he was targeting 20 goals this season. Barring injury or a massive drop in form, he is well on track.

If he was our "jason cummings replacement" as far as goals go, hes doing well so far.

Onion
20-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Great signing and good to see him playing well, scoring goals and enjoying his football.

Just need the rest to get up to speed.

Borderhibbie76
20-09-2017, 09:01 AM
I think it's particularly encouraging that Stokes hasn't hit anything like his best form yet, but has still scored a bucketload of goals, has made a significant contribution to our all-round play and is looking better with every passing game.Absolutely...the exciting thing is the best is yet to come from him...we just need a decent partner for him...not sure who is best atm?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
20-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Me too. Madden appeared to get in his face and warn him off first!

Smartie
20-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Absolutely...the exciting thing is the best is yet to come from him...we just need a decent partner for him...not sure who is best atm?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I do think that any combination of our forwards works better with Stokes than Cummings did. The 2 of them just didn't really seem to hit it off.

I like the front 3 of Boyle, Stokes and Murray. Very quick, tenacious, skilful - the three of them could tear teams apart.

We need McGeouch and McGinn to start every game, with either Slivka or Bartley depending on the opposition.

Between them all they might manage to score the 3 goals every week that we need to score to win games with our defence.......

Gatecrasher
20-09-2017, 11:22 AM
He's been brilliant since re-joining, his work rate, link up play and his goals have been everything I would have asked of him.

JimBHibees
20-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Great signing for Hibs, absolute quality. His second goal at the weekend was top class finishing.

Souter96Mac
20-09-2017, 12:19 PM
I do think that any combination of our forwards works better with Stokes than Cummings did. The 2 of them just didn't really seem to hit it off.

I like the front 3 of Boyle, Stokes and Murray. Very quick, tenacious, skilful - the three of them could tear teams apart.

We need McGeouch and McGinn to start every game, with either Slivka or Bartley depending on the opposition.

Between them all they might manage to score the 3 goals every week that we need to score to win games with our defence.......

Agree with this, the 433 worked well against Partick.

patlowe
20-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Agree with this, the 433 worked well against Partick.

Said the same coming out of the Motherwell match - I feel we look a stronger team with the three in midfield, certainly with McGeouch in there alongside McGinn and Bartley/Slivka. I understand Lennon trying to get width in the side but I feel you could still do that if you had Stokes as the focal point of a 3 with Barker, Boyle and Swanson as options playing off him. You certainly can't drop Stokes right now anyway, creates something significant every game he plays.

ancient hibee
20-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Interesting that it is Stevenson who has come back in and demonstrated how to play some great link up play with Stokes.

Onceinawhile
20-09-2017, 05:31 PM
If we go deep in the Scottish he could be looking at 25-30 goals this season. If he has been around for the league cup group stages, who knows.

Is It On....
20-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Messiah...who stole that name!!

mim
21-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Interesting that it is Stevenson who has come back in and demonstrated how to play some great link up play with Stokes.

Stokes and Stevenson have always had a great understanding imho

pacoluna
21-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Stevenson getting credit now for how well stokes is playing :greengrin