PDA

View Full Version : Efe Ambrose

Smartie
16-09-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm not normally one to tear into players in the heat of the moment but I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck into this guy.

We were all at sea, in our own 6 yard box, within seconds of the game starting today and it didn't at any point get much better. We were lucky we didn't lose 5 or 6 goals and should be happy with our point.

I reckon Ambrose's lack of concentration, his laid-back nature, his questionable decision making and his error-proneness has infected our entire defence.

There's a lot of talk of how good he is coming out of the defence with the ball - ok, yes he is. Some of the wee turns he does are beautiful. But he is a defender, he is paid to stop us losing goals. Week in, week out we lose bad goals from his position on the park. We're also now seeing Paul Hanlon make the kind of mistakes he never used to make.

I wasn't impressed with Ambrose's delayed return at the start of the summer. He took a liberty, and suggested that there should be serious question marks over his attitude.

Ok, we're down a few defenders at the moment and we only have Porteous fit for cover. But this guy looks like he's on easy street, swanning about making gaffe after gaffe, yet seems to be the man the defence is built around.

There was talk of his "pipe and slippers" last season. Frankly, I think he'd found his level - he's a show pony who is only capable of strolling around mediocre players, not playing in a determined, focussed, concentrated fashion in a premier league side.

I'm concerned about Lennon's loyalty to him. Ambrose has not just had one poor game, he's just not cutting it. If McGregor or Fontaine (who have proven their ability, attitude and worth to this club time and time again) were available, he'd be nowhere near my team. Ambrose may keep his place in the team as dropping him for an untried youngster would be a risk, but Porteous looks to me to have what it takes - all he needs is a chance, and Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson would keep him right.

Ambrose is yet to show me that he has what it takes to play for us, I don't see it with him, and frankly he gets right on my thrupennies.

cabbageandribs1875
16-09-2017, 05:32 PM
i actually think efe was ok today :greengrin Marv was our best player imo and david gray had quite a good game

Ilovehibs
16-09-2017, 05:53 PM
I'm not normally one to tear into players in the heat of the moment but I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck into this guy.

We were all at sea, in our own 6 yard box, within seconds of the game starting today and it didn't at any point get much better. We were lucky we didn't lose 5 or 6 goals and should be happy with our point.

I reckon his Ambrose's of concentration, his laid-back nature, his questionable decision making and his error-proneness has infected our entire defence.

There's a lot of talk of how good he is coming out of the defence with the ball - ok, yes he is. Some of the wee turns he does are beautiful. But he is a defender, he is paid to stop us losing goals. Week in, week out we lose bad goals from his position on the park. We're also now seeing Paul Hanlon make the kind of mistakes he never used to make.

I wasn't impressed with Ambrose's delayed return at the start of the summer. He took a liberty, and suggested that there should be serious question marks over his attitude.

Ok, we're down a few defenders at the moment and we only have Porteous fit for cover. But this guy looks like he's on easy street, swanning about making gaffe after gaffe, yet seems to be the man the defence is built around.

There was talk of his "pipe and slippers" last season. Frankly, I think he'd found his level - he's a show pony who is only capable of strolling around mediocre players, not playing in a determined, focussed, concentrated fashion in a premier league side.

I'm concerned about Lennon's loyalty to him. Ambrose has not just had one poor game, he's just not cutting it. If McGregor or Fontaine (who have proven their ability, attitude and worth to this club time and time again) were available, he'd be nowhere near my team. Ambrose may keep his place in the team as dropping him for an untried youngster would be a risk, but Porteous looks to me to have what it takes - all he needs is a chance, and Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson would keep him right.

Ambrose is yet to show me that he has what it takes to play for us, I don't see it with him, and frankly he gets right on my thrupennies.

100% with you.

Moody Blues
16-09-2017, 05:59 PM

I reckon his Ambrose's of concentration, his laid-back nature, his questionable decision making and his error-proneness has infected our entire defence.

Totally agree with this post. Would rather see Porteous get his chance.

heretoday
16-09-2017, 06:06 PM
He and Hanlon were OK first half apart from one howler. Second half not so.

hibeg
16-09-2017, 06:30 PM
For such a tall guy he hardly seems to win anything in the air. Lost count of the number of times Motherwell flick ons put us in trouble
Get Porteous into the team !

Hibernia&Alba
16-09-2017, 06:35 PM
We all know what Ambrose is: completely unpredictable. Some games he can look a class act; others he's like Bambi on ice. You just never know what you're going to get on any given day. We will have to take the rough with the smooth. I'm not his biggest fan at all, but we're hardly spoilt for choice.

neil7908
16-09-2017, 06:44 PM
i actually think efe was ok today :greengrin Marv was our best player imo and david gray had quite a good game

Good shout about Marv. He's hardly been mentioned but I thought he was really good not just defensively but also going forward. Normally he is great at the defensive stuff but awful once he gets past the half way line. Today though he moved the ball really well. Simple stuff but always found a green jersey.

macca70
16-09-2017, 07:01 PM
He and Hanlon were OK first half apart from one howler. Second half not so.

Take it you didn't see his pass back to Marciano in 1st half that he launched 50 yards into the air, then his next attempted clearance went 50 yards high and back into our own box!!

wookie70
16-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Ambrose just needs to concentrate on defending. He is a decent defender but is hugely prone to taking chances and can wander a bit from his centre half position leaving big gaps. He has played that way since he came to Scotland so we either like it or lump it. If everyone is fit I would start McGregor and Hanlon in every game and Fonts would be my next choice. I also want to see Ryan Porteous get some game time if we continue to concede such poor goals and with our current injuries. He looked very good against Sunderland and everyone else he played against. Effe for me would not start games when everyone is fit.

yonder1875
16-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Stokes for me.

we are hibs
16-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Take it you didn't see his pass back to Marciano in 1st half that he launched 50 yards into the air, then his next attempted clearance went 50 yards high and back into our own box!!

A big lump 50 yards in the air, Marciano playing him back a big 50 yard lump in the air before Ambrose gave him another 50 yard lump in the air back. We are comically bad at the back at times, Hanlon making a good tackle then trying to dribble it out with his head on the ground too.

J-C
16-09-2017, 09:59 PM

I reckon Ambrose's lack of concentration, his laid-back nature, his questionable decision making and his error-proneness has infected our entire defence.

:agree::top marks

Saves me typing all that.

penihibs
16-09-2017, 10:02 PM

Come on Stokes was head and shoulders above them all.

O'Rourke3
16-09-2017, 10:14 PM
A big lump 50 yards in the air, Marciano playing him back a big 50 yard lump in the air before Ambrose gave him another 50 yard lump in the air back. We are comically bad at the back at times, Hanlon making a good tackle then trying to dribble it out with his head on the ground too.Need to see the game again but thought Moults challenge and last touch put the ball as high. Rocky should/may have caught it instead of the first relaunch. Efe's second effort was indeed awful.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

pacorosssco
16-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Big keeper had worst game in hibs top today but its a tea game. Id say Hibs lucky to get point. Motherwell created many chances over 90. Defence needs to tighten up in general but at 2 up team should have seen out.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-09-2017, 10:21 PM

That was one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen in a while. At the start of the season I thought the defence was the strongest part of our team, now I think it's our weakest.

Forza Fred
16-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Thought Efe was mostly ok today, with his undoubted skill on the ball allowing him to escape from a couple of dodgy decisions he made as to where to turn....possibly the mark of a VERY skilful player.

Having said that, I will say that I hold my breath every time when closely marking his man on the edge of the box he decides to step in front of him to try and intercept the pass to him!

If he doesn't get the ball he enables unfettered access to the recipient to have a dig.

That's what led to the second goal and a similar thing happened in a previous. Game...Hamilton I think.

Much prefer he stands firm and blocks the striker....but He chooses not to, possibly down to over confidence.

Sammy7nil
16-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Efe is not the problem, there are plenty problems.

Captain Trips
17-09-2017, 01:05 AM
We all know what Ambrose is: completely unpredictable. Some games he can look a class act; others he's like Bambi on ice. You just never know what you're going to get on any given day. We will have to take the rough with the smooth. I'm not his biggest fan at all, but we're hardly spoilt for choice.

Unpredictable players upfront yeah ok, unpredictable players on the wing ok I can live with that. Unpredictable players at centre of defence that could be trouble.

I think Efe is good when striding forward however he is a player that worries me.

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2017, 02:04 AM
Stokes for me.

Come on Stokes was head and shoulders above them all.

i must have had a memory black-out with that post...stokesy did indeed have a very good game as well :thumbsup::agree:

Dunbar Hibee
17-09-2017, 05:58 AM
He was dreadful today.

Dunbar Hibee
17-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Really? IMO our back 4 were absolutely horrendous.

Steve20
17-09-2017, 06:25 AM
The whole team simply can't defend, not just Efe. The opposition score with almost every attack this season, we are a shambles at the back.

Stokes was man of the match by a mile. Our only player that looks like doing a thing in the final third.

RoscoHibby
17-09-2017, 07:06 AM
This thread should be linked to the formation/can't play wingers one. Defence was exposed time and again so of course they are going to look worse.

Agree the volleyball in our own box was ridiculous though..

Winston Ingram
17-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Totally agree with the OP.

He's great in a team that doesn't need to defend

FitbaFolkKen
17-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Hanlon looked like he was getting really frustrated with him and they were arguing after we scored our second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Very poor yesterday doesn't get anywhere near close enough to forwards. Moult was able to drop in unchallenged over and over again. Stupid foul given away for first goal horrifically try to nick the ball for second goal allowing Moult to turn and hit.

Eyrie
17-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Thought Efe was mostly ok today, with his undoubted skill on the ball allowing him to escape from a couple of dodgy decisions he made as to where to turn....possibly the mark of a VERY skilful player.

Having said that, I will say that I hold my breath every time when closely marking his man on the edge of the box he decides to step in front of him to try and intercept the pass to him!

If he doesn't get the ball he enables unfettered access to the recipient to have a dig.

That's what led to the second goal and a similar thing happened in a previous. Game...Hamilton I think.

Much prefer he stands firm and blocks the striker....but He chooses not to, possibly down to over confidence.

It was the opener against Partick where he missed the interception and let their player in to score.

I'm not comfortable with Ambrose as part of a back four due to his risk taking on the ball when being closed down. There is a feeling of nervousness followed by amusement when he gets away with it, but it leaves us very exposed when he doesn't. Once McGregor is fit I'd either drop Ambrose or play him in the middle of a back three so that we have decent cover if his attempts to retain possession don't work out.

J-C
17-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Efe is not the problem, there are plenty problems.

Not the main problem but definitely one of them, he was brutal yesterday, missing headers, clearances and losing his man all too often.

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Class player. I love him and would start him every game. :na na:

Dunbar Hibee
17-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Not the main problem but definitely one of them, he was brutal yesterday, missing headers, clearances and losing his man all too often.

IMO, he was the main problem yesterday. I was really happy when we signed him, but his performance yesterday was really disappointing.

J-C
17-09-2017, 02:03 PM
IMO, he was the main problem yesterday. I was really happy when we signed him, but his performance yesterday was really disappointing.

There were many people describing him as a bomb scare waiting to happen, I thought like others that it was a bit OTT and his faux pas came in Champions league games against better opposition but after seeing his last 2-3 games I'm beginning to see what they were talking about.

Smartie
17-09-2017, 02:35 PM
There were many people describing him as a bomb scare waiting to happen, I thought like others that it was a bit OTT and his faux pas came in Champions league games against better opposition but after seeing his last 2-3 games I'm beginning to see what they were talking about.

He was brilliant when on loan last season, but I think he's struggled with the step up to the Premier League.

I'm actually developing a fair bit more respect for the Scottish Premier League. Motherwell played some great stuff during the second half yesterday and Moult individually was superb. Accies played well against us. Thistle were a bit unlucky in the first game.

Ambrose is a guy who has played Champions league, has won a few domestic titles for us and played dozens of games for his country - not an entirely insignificant footballing nation either.

Yet I think he's struggling in the Premier league.

If he's to stay in the team, I think he needs to just go back to basics. Win headers, boot the ball away when it is in a danger area, communicate effectively with the players around him.

The fancy stuff can come later.

Onion
17-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Looked out of sorts yesterday, like a few Hibs players, but on normal days is a top defender. It wasn't his fault the back 4 were constantly exposed due to lack of midfield. We can thank NL for that.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 02:43 PM
He was brilliant when on loan last season, but I think he's struggled with the step up to the Premier League.

I'm actually developing a fair bit more respect for the Scottish Premier League. Motherwell played some great stuff during the second half yesterday and Moult individually was superb. Accies played well against us. Thistle were a bit unlucky in the first game.

Ambrose is a guy who has played Champions league, has won a few domestic titles for us and played dozens of games for his country - not an entirely insignificant footballing nation either.

Yet I think he's struggling in the Premier league.

If he's to stay in the team, I think he needs to just go back to basics. Win headers, boot the ball away when it is in a danger area, communicate effectively with the players around him.

The fancy stuff can come later.

Agree with alot of that certainly regarding the teams in the SPL, they are all way above what we have faced in the last couple of seasons, league wise, clearly better players, far better organised, far more astute tactically and all carry a threat. If you're off your game then you can expect to pay the penalty. Celtic, who we obviously havent played yet are on another level and although I wont be at the game I'll be very interested to see how we fare against them, a true test and a true yardstick.

We are growing into this league and it will take a bit of time, a bit of patience. we'll get somethings right and somethings wrong but we are a more than decent team and we will get better and we are moving forward both as a team and a club.

'Mon the Hibs.

Moody Blues
17-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Don't think Ambrose is a good defender, I actually think he is a bit of a nightmare. But that is only my opinion.

JK Rolling
17-09-2017, 04:00 PM
He's fine in certain games namely the games where we don't have to defend. That'll be none then.

Captain Trips
17-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Efe has the best CV of any defender at club and at most other clubs, however I do not think he is our best defender. If you asked somebody who didnt already know who had that CV out of players on display you would struggle. He has been ok nothing more thus far, but so have several others.

There are times when we just need to get the basics right at the back and that goes for everyone. I will say I think we would have conceded less if our CB pairing had been Shaun Dennis and John Hughes.

Lets just defend please guys.

broondog
17-09-2017, 09:42 PM
good post. he's a dreadful player

Bob1875
17-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Brutal at defending, never realised how much he sold the jerseys for their 2nd goal on Saturday.

O'Rourke3
17-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Can't multiquote on the phone. Said the same at the game yesterday where my neighbour reckoned we are not as good as we think we are. I disagreed. We underestimate the quality of what we face week in and out. Thanks to the cup exploits as a support we expect to simply turn up and win. Both Motherwell and Hamilton have shown differently. We've been bullied into poor performances in both games. Neil's Lennoxtown admits we are not where we thought we were. He at least acknowledges where we need to get to. I hope he is able to instill those improvements in the squad.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

AugustaHibs
18-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Surely can't just be me who can see similarities with Efe and David Luiz at Chelsea? Composed on the ball and can look different class at times, but like Luiz did today with the sending off makes absolutely ridiculous decisions when he gets ahead of himself.

Borderhibbie76
18-09-2017, 08:02 AM
i actually think efe was ok today :greengrin Marv was our best player imo and david gray had quite a good gameSeriously?? He was dreadful never won a ball in the air all day and his lax couldn't care less attitude affected the whole back 4 and keeper...imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
18-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Looked out of sorts yesterday, like a few Hibs players, but on normal days is a top defender. It wasn't his fault the back 4 were constantly exposed due to lack of midfield. We can thank NL for that.Although I though efe was awful I agree with your point about the formation and only 2 in middle...dreadful decision by Lennon and left us short all game. Very disrespectful to Motherwell I thought playing the 2 wingers when he alluded to the fact they were strong in middle of park during his pre match press conference

Smartie
18-09-2017, 08:07 AM
I remember when Sol Bamba joined us he came with the "bombscare" tag.

As far as I can remember Sol had one dodgy game when he made a few mistakes playing at right-back.

When played at centre-back or defensive mid, Sol was rock solid. The main thing about Sol was that he could defend - we won headers, he got his body in the way he hoofed it up the park when it needed hoofed.

On the occasions that he did try to play, he generally did it when he knew he would get away with it.

I saw more bombscare moments from Efe on Saturday than I saw in the whole time "Bombscare Bamba" was at our club.

heretoday
18-09-2017, 08:27 AM

That was referred to in my post. The word "howler" was used.

Not In The Know
18-09-2017, 08:46 AM
The big problem with Efe is his positional sense (or lack off). He gets dragged all over the place leaving other defenders to leave gaps covering for him.

pacoluna
18-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Seriously?? He was dreadful never won a ball in the air all day and his lax couldn't care less attitude affected the whole back 4 and keeper...imo

Hanlon was as slow as a week in jail yesterday. Was just as bad if not worse than Effe yesterday.

*saturday

MB62
18-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Hanlon was as slow as a week in jail yesterday. Was just as bad if not worse than Effe yesterday.

Opinions eh! Paul Hanlon was my/our MOTM in the pub afterwards on Saturday. Felt really sorry for him having to cover for Efe all the time, the man must be a nervous wreck playing alongside Efe.

I said last week that I think Ambrose best position was in the big Marv role. It get's him away from our defence, which is a bonus for us, and let's him do his fancy stuff away from the immediate danger area, and possibly even further up where it would actually benefit our strikers. Unfortunately, he would have a job shifting Marv out of that role as he has been playing very well there, so it's the bench for me for Efe.

pacoluna
18-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Opinions eh! Paul Hanlon was my/our MOTM in the pub afterwards on Saturday. Felt really sorry for him having to cover for Efe all the time, the man must be a nervous wreck playing alongside Efe.

I said last week that I think Ambrose best position was in the big Marv role. It get's him away from our defence, which is a bonus for us, and let's him do his fancy stuff away from the immediate danger area, and possibly even further up where it would actually benefit our strikers. Unfortunately, he would have a job shifting Marv out of that role as he has been playing very well there, so it's the bench for me for Efe.

I think Effe is becoming a scapegoat. He was getting pelter's after the Hamilton game as well when it was hanlon who ironically cost us the third goal with trying to over play. Hanlon is a decent defender but this season looks as if he lacks pace, not sure if it is down to his injury problems or not,

Firestarter
18-09-2017, 01:15 PM
I remember when Sol Bamba joined us he came with the "bombscare" tag.

As far as I can remember Sol had one dodgy game when he made a few mistakes playing at right-back.

When played at centre-back or defensive mid, Sol was rock solid. The main thing about Sol was that he could defend - we won headers, he got his body in the way he hoofed it up the park when it needed hoofed.

On the occasions that he did try to play, he generally did it when he knew he would get away with it.

I saw more bombscare moments from Efe on Saturday than I saw in the whole time "Bombscare Bamba" was at our club.

Bamba was given the bombscare name whilst at Dunfermline I think. Agree though, he was much better than Efe' who seems to think he's a level above with his attitude.

The chemistry in the team doesn't look right at the moment and it's concerning.

Smartie
18-09-2017, 03:58 PM
I think Effe is becoming a scapegoat. He was getting pelter's after the Hamilton game as well when it was hanlon who ironically cost us the third goal with trying to over play. Hanlon is a decent defender but this season looks as if he lacks pace, not sure if it is down to his injury problems or not,

He has been caught in possession in dangerous areas more than I ever remember. Most of the time he's managed to get away with it (or in some cases do quite well) but our play at the back definitely seems riskier than ever.

Efe is obviously the main culprit, but all of the CHs have been guilty at times, including Hanlon for that horrible goal against Accies.

I do think we're getting closed down a lot more at the back, and we're taking a bit of time to adjust. Aberdeen caught us out big time in the semi last year by playing this way, and I think it is mainly down to the difference between teams defending much deeper in the Championship and faster players pressing us all over the park in the Premier League.

I do think Hanlon has looked uncomfortable at times though.

Lancs Harp
18-09-2017, 04:00 PM
He has been caught in possession in dangerous areas more than I ever remember. Most of the time he's managed to get away with it (or in some cases do quite well) but our play at the back definitely seems riskier than ever.

Efe is obviously the main culprit, but all of the CHs have been guilty at times, including Hanlon for that horrible goal against Accies.

I do think we're getting closed down a lot more at the back, and we're taking a bit of time to adjust. Aberdeen caught us out big time in the semi last year by playing this way, and I think it is mainly down to the difference between teams defending much deeper in the Championship and faster players pressing us all over the park in the Premier League.

I do think Hanlon has looked uncomfortable at times though.

Spot on.