PDA

View Full Version : NHC Frank de Boer sacked

emerald green
11-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Crystal Palace have sacked manager Frank de Boer after just five games in charge, having signed a three year contract in the summer.

Iain G
11-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Crystal Palace have sacked manager Frank de Boer after just five games in charge, having signed a three year contract in the summer.

I hoped they would go down last year with that crook of a manager in charge, this crazy knee jerk reaction after only four games makes me even more hopeful that they crash and burn this season. Disgraceful and proves that they are only interested in preserving their position at the financial feeding trough that is the EPL.

hughio
11-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Ridiculous.
They looked good against Burnley.

5 games FFS:confused:

WeeRussell
11-09-2017, 11:56 AM
I hoped they would go down last year with that crook of a manager in charge, this crazy knee jerk reaction after only four games makes me even more hopeful that they crash and burn this season. Disgraceful and proves that they are only interested in preserving their position at the financial feeding trough that is the EPL.

I think they'll be going down now regardless. I would have given FDB more time though - they were actually all over Burnley yesterday, if the ball would have went in the net for them they could have had a decent away win. Results business and all that.

Hodgson to come in now and Championship for them next season.

Souter96Mac
11-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Difficult one tbh. So early on in the season, but with 4 defeats from 4, with zero goals, against the likes of Burnley, Swansea and Huddersfield. Their next four games are against Southampton, Citeh, United and Chelsea..Could easily be 8 games 0 points, never mind who's in charge. Disliked Palace since they had Pardew.

Northernhibee
11-09-2017, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking of managing Crystal Palace as part of a month off work.

Michael
11-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Difficult one tbh. So early on in the season, but with 4 defeats from 4, with zero goals, against the likes of Burnley, Swansea and Huddersfield. Their next four games are against Southampton, Citeh, United and Chelsea..Could easily be 8 games 0 points, never mind who's in charge. Disliked Palace since they had Pardew.

Why does everyone hate Pardew? Very underrated manager.

JimBHibees
11-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Ridiculous.
They looked good against Burnley.

5 games FFS:confused:

Agree farcical. Why appoint him in the first place?

DarlingtonHibee
11-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Hodgson ffs. Hope they go down. I hope Fdb takes them for a few quid.

Hibernia&Alba
11-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Talk about panicking. When did he join them?

JimBHibees
11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Talk about panicking. When did he join them?

77 days ago

iwasthere1972
11-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Saw the highlights on the Beeb last night and Palace completely outplayed Burnley. Made a terrible start with the back pass to allow Burnley to score in the first three minutes but from thereon they made numerous chances. On another day it could have ended with Palace scoring three or four.

Yes their next four games are difficult fixtures and if
Dr Boer had kept his job there was every chance that it would be 8 losses out of 8. Saying that there is every possibility that whoever comes in now, or takes temporary charge, will get hee haw points from the first four games.

Palace are a shambles. Hope they appoint Cathro.

Baader
11-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Ridiculous. I remember when we used to look at the crazy managerial tenureships in Italian and Spanish football. England is just as silly nowadays.

JimBHibees
11-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Saw the highlights on the Beeb last night and Palace completely outplayed Burnley. Made a terrible start with the back pass to allow Burnley to score in the first three minutes but from thereon they made numerous chances. On another day it could have ended with Palace scoring three or four.

Yes their next four games are difficult fixtures and if
Dr Boer had kept his job there was every chance that it would be 8 losses out of 8. Saying that there is every possibility that whoever comes in now, or takes temporary charge, will get hee haw points from the first four games.

Palace are a shambles. Hope they appoint Cathro.

In hindsight the owners were obviously delighted they lost yesterday as if they had a good win it would have been more difficult to sack especially given Hodgson had no doubt agreed to come anyway. Hope they go down.

Hibernia&Alba
11-09-2017, 12:18 PM
77 days ago

Wow. What a shambles; now they'll have to pay him off.

Hibernia&Alba
11-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Roy Hodgson FFS. The old boys' network still in operation. After he managed to get England knocked out of a tournament against Iceland, he has no right to be employed as a manager anywhere. It's terrible the way these clowns keep being paid fortunes.

Oscar T Grouch
11-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Wow. What a shambles; now they'll have to pay him off.

Aye, I think he signed a 3 year deal so it'll no be cheap to pay him off, but then again, when you get about 100mil to just avoid relegation in that league, cash usually isnae a problem!!

J-C
11-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Ridiculous decision, they wanted a manager to make the team play a certain way and that takes time. I watched last night's highlights and like us at the moment if they had been more clinical, they'd have won by a handful of goals and he'd still be in a job. Talk about knee jerk reaction, that chairman is an egotist look at me character.

Carheenlea
11-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Laughable. The days not going to be far away where managers are going to be sacked from poisoned clubs before the league season even starts.

hibsbollah
11-09-2017, 01:04 PM
77 days ago

Outlasted Franck Sauzee:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
11-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Ridiculous decision, they wanted a manager to make the team play a certain way and that takes time. I watched last night's highlights and like us at the moment if they had been more clinical, they'd have won by a handful of goals and he'd still be in a job. Talk about knee jerk reaction, that chairman is an egotist look at me character.

Agree say an interview with him 3 weeks ago and he was going on about the start not being good enough and it having to get better soon. No mention of support for a new manager early days sort of thing which normal chairmen would have come out with.

Crazyhorse
11-09-2017, 01:28 PM

That brings it home to you. Still makes me feel ill...

Farce of a game yesterday though. Palace players looked like a bunch of jokers at the local Pitz in front of goal, played really well up until someone actually had to have a shot.

Souter96Mac
11-09-2017, 01:51 PM

He's had the pretty much same start and end with each club he's managed. Can't organise a defence to save himself

James70
11-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Too much has been made of their terrible start to the league. If they had gone 4 successive defeats without scoring in the middle of the campaign the reaction would not have been the same. A new manager needs time to get his ideas across and it could so easily have been a different story against Burnley. That back pass has basically cost the manager his job.

snooky
11-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Roy Hodgson FFS. The old boys' network still in operation. After he managed to get England knocked out of a tournament against Iceland, he has no right to be employed as a manager anywhere. It's terrible the way these clowns keep being paid fortunes.

Straight swap then. Frank De Boer for Roy De Bore

brog
11-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Because he's a horrible arrogant tosser. I have a contact at
Palace & some of the stories were horrendous. At Newcastle he achieved the impossible by making Ashley more popular.

Thecat23
11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Palace & some of the stories were horrendous. At Newcastle he achieved the impossible by making Ashley more popular.

100% this. Mans an idiot who isn't liked very much in the game.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Which makes it even more bizarre they never changed managers before the international break.

jacomo
11-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Stupid, stupid Crystal Palace.

Appoint a guy who's tactical approach is complete opposite to how they've been playing, then wonder why it takes time to work...

emerald green
11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Sauzee hadn't just signed a three year contract a matter of weeks before he was sacked, as far as I'm aware.

hibsbollah
11-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Sauzee hadn't just signed a three year contract a matter of weeks before he was sacked, as far as I'm aware.

I didn't say he had. What's with the strangely aggressive tone :dunno:

MKHIBEE
11-09-2017, 07:08 PM
My wife worked for Palace when Pardew was a player there, she hasn't a good word to say about him.

emerald green
11-09-2017, 07:19 PM
I didn't say he had. What's with the strangely aggressive tone :dunno:

I know you didn't. My post wasn't intended to be aggressive lad, and it never entered my head that it was. Just commenting.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-09-2017, 07:28 PM
CP knew De Boer had a poor managerial record so I can't really understand why they took him on, great player utterly hopeless coach. Woy won't be long at his back methinks.

matty_f
12-09-2017, 06:02 AM
I'm thinking of managing Crystal Palace as part of a month off work.

:faf:

Just Jimmy
12-09-2017, 06:54 AM
CP knew De Boer had a poor managerial record so I can't really understand why they took him on, great player utterly hopeless coach. Woy won't be long at his back methinks.Won 4 successive titles with Ajax. First time it's been done by Ajax in the Netherlands.

Wasn't great at inter but there was a power struggle.

77 days is a joke.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
12-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Hodgson gets a two year deal ...... or four weeks, depending on results :greengrin

Onceinawhile
12-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Apparently the players didn't like him being better than them in training. Pathetic.

heretoday
12-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Won 4 successive titles with Ajax. First time it's been done by Ajax in the Netherlands.

77 days is a joke.

It's totally ridiculous. You'd think it was a game of fantasy football or something.

I could almost understand if they had a miracle-worker lined up but Hodgson?

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-09-2017, 10:08 PM
The type of football that De Boer wanted to play is more suited to the top six rather than the bottom six. The people in charge of Crystal Palace have misjudged this one. Hodgson is an old-school filler like Redknapp or Warnock.

Michael
12-09-2017, 10:20 PM
The type of football that De Boer wanted to play is more suited to the top six rather than the bottom six. The people in charge of Crystal Palace have misjudged this one. Hodgson is an old-school filler like Redknapp or Warnock.

Redknapp isn't like the others listed. Always tried to play decent football.

Hibernia&Alba
12-09-2017, 10:34 PM
How much are they paying Hodgson? Remember his time at Liverpool? Oh wow, that was a shambles. What about his mess at Blackburn? And England had a decent squad at Euro 2016, but weren't organised by the manager. The squad basically came out and said he's useless. I can't see this ending well for Palace.

J-C
13-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Take a look at Bournemouth and how the board have stood by Eddie Howe and his philosophy on how to play the game, they knew it doesn't happen overnight but they gave him time and now they're dining at the big table.

hibsbollah
13-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Take a look at Bournemouth and how the board have stood by Eddie Howe and his philosophy on how to play the game, they knew it doesn't happen overnight but they gave him time and now they're dining at the big table.

Sadly I dont think Howe will have long to go either if results dont improve down there. Except Wenger I dont believe any manager is secure for more than about 5 games in that league.

J-C
13-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Sadly I dont think Howe will have long to go either if results dont improve down there. Except Wenger I dont believe any manager is secure for more than about 5 games in that league.

Difference with Howe is he's taken them from the leagues below and up to the Premier holy grail, no one expected them to stay up last season, not even their board, so I think he'll be given another decent crack at it.

heretoday
13-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Difference with Howe is he's taken them from the leagues below and up to the Premier holy grail, no one expected them to stay up last season, not even their board, so I think he'll be given another decent crack at it.

I agree. They're a well-run club with reasonable aspirations. I hope Brighton react the same way too if things go against them, as they are likely to do.

There's nothing more ridiculous than a team managing to get promoted from the Championship to the Prem, having a bad start to the season and getting shot of the guy who took them there.

w pilton hibby
13-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I agree. They're a well-run club with reasonable aspirations. I hope Brighton react the same way too if things go against them, as they are likely to do.

There's nothing more ridiculous than a team managing to get promoted from the Championship to the Prem, having a bad start to the season and getting shot of the guy who took them there.

Did that not happen to Hughton at Newcastle?

Haymaker
13-09-2017, 02:35 PM

And have an incredibly wealthy owner...

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-09-2017, 04:16 PM

No doubt, but he is still a filler. At Birmingham he will be a one year plan

CockneyRebel
13-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Won 4 successive titles with Ajax. First time it's been done by Ajax in the Netherlands.

77 days is a joke.

If NL had told Hibs at his interview that he wanted to drastically change the way Hibs play but promised to do it gradually - evolution not revolution - and then changed it drastically anyway (without the players in the squad able to play this way ), lost 2 league games and then said he would revert back to the way Palace usually set up and then not do it and loses a third game. Then reverted back for the 4th game and they outplayed Burnley, couldn't score and got beat 1 - 0. Tell 2 players they weren't good enough to play the way he wanted to set up and then play them in the first game. Would you still love Lenny?
Log on the Holmesdale (Palace) website and see what has come out since the sacking. He agreed to do things a certain way and at a certain pace and then got his feet under the table and followed his ego. Not for a minute would I suggest that there wasn't blame on both sides but POOR FRANK, I don't think so.

The money in the EPL these days leaves club chairman petrified of relegation which often leads to knee jerk reactions.

Onceinawhile
13-09-2017, 05:49 PM
If NL had told Hibs at his interview that he wanted to drastically change the way Hibs play but promised to do it gradually - evolution not revolution - and then changed it drastically anyway (without the players in the squad able to play this way ), lost 2 league games and then said he would revert back to the way Palace usually set up and then not do it and loses a third game. Then reverted back for the 4th game and they outplayed Burnley, couldn't score and got beat 1 - 0. Tell 2 players they weren't good enough to play the way he wanted to set up and then play them in the first game. Would you still love Lenny?
Log on the Holmesdale (Palace) website and see what has come out since the sacking. He agreed to do things a certain way and at a certain pace and then got his feet under the table and followed his ego. Not for a minute would I suggest that there wasn't blame on both sides but POOR FRANK, I don't think so.

The money in the EPL these days leaves club chairman petrified of relegation which often leads to knee jerk reactions.

Maybe when they bought in to that they should have let him bring in some players? Or to ship some out he deemed surplus to requirements?

CockneyRebel
13-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Maybe when they bought in to that they should have let him bring in some players? Or to ship some out he deemed
surplus to requirements?

NL has had 3 windows and may need a further 3 before he gets the shape and style he is after.

FDB bought a dutch player and loaned one from Man U and one from Chelsea but unfortunately the Sakho signing saga took far too much time up.
Neither side comes out of this well but he put the teams out and decided formations. You have to do the best with what you have, you can't play attacking football with no decent strikers, you can't play defensive football with poor defenders and you can't play the the expansive posession/passing game without having quality midfielders. Palace have a decent squad on paper but they have played counter attacking football with this squad in seasons past and to play dutch style football would take about six more players and a season or two of gradual change - unless you spend 3 or 4 hundred mill and it still wouldn't be instant.
You should really read up on what's come out about what happened behind the scenes and it looks like he should have gone even earlier. Bad judgement in signing him, in hindsight, as Palace wanted @gradual@ and he seemed to agree and then went full steam ahead. You don''t appear to want to hear anything that goes against your knee jerk reaction so, being an animal lover, I won't flog a dead horse.

MB62
15-09-2017, 11:23 AM
I think Mr Koeman could be the next manager looking for a new job.

WeeRussell
15-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Bilic still needs a couple of results to pull him out of favouritism for me... hope he gets them though

Iain G
15-09-2017, 11:59 AM
NL has had 3 windows and may need a further 3 before he gets the shape and style he is after.

FDB bought a dutch player and loaned one from Man U and one from Chelsea but unfortunately the Sakho signing saga took far too much time up.
Neither side comes out of this well but he put the teams out and decided formations. You have to do the best with what you have, you can't play attacking football with no decent strikers, you can't play defensive football with poor defenders and you can't play the the expansive posession/passing game without having quality midfielders. Palace have a decent squad on paper but they have played counter attacking football with this squad in seasons past and to play dutch style football would take about six more players and a season or two of gradual change - unless you spend 3 or 4 hundred mill and it still wouldn't be instant.
You should really read up on what's come out about what happened behind the scenes and it looks like he should have gone even earlier. Bad judgement in signing him, in hindsight, as Palace wanted @gradual@ and he seemed to agree and then went full steam ahead. You don''t appear to want to hear anything that goes against your knee jerk reaction so, being an animal lover, I won't flog a dead horse.

A manager should be given time though and he didn't get that, regardless of what went on behind the scenes and who said what to whom, he was given 4 games and was sacked, where all commentators pointed out that there was a marked improvement in the last game. They then go and replace him with ROY HODGSON and by this point any sensible conversation about Palace goes out the window, it's panic and knee jerk reaction.

In saying that I lost any respect for them when they appointed Big Crooked Sam last season and I really hope they go down this year.

DarlingtonHibee
15-09-2017, 12:00 PM
A manager should be given time though and he didn't get that, regardless of what went on behind the scenes and who said what to whom, he was given 4 games and was sacked, where all commentators pointed out that there was a marked improvement in the last game. They then go and replace him with ROY HODGSON and by this point any sensible conversation about Palace goes out the window, it's panic and knee jerk reaction.

In saying that I lost any respect for them when they appointed Big Crooked Sam last season and I really hope they go down this year.
This

J-C
15-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Watched them last night and they were brutal, no pace, urgency or creativity. They lose a main striker and brought in Rooney who's slipped drastically in his game play, he's a shadow of the player he once was. I just couldn't see what he was trying shape wise or tactic wise yesterday, needs a result very soon.

BegbieHSC
15-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Ronald and Frank, Ronald and Frank - one missed a penalty, the other's a w***

Iain G
15-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Looks like Woy's ambition is just to keep them up, after only 4 games played, madness, the money has brought madness....

JimBHibees
15-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Watched them last night and they were brutal, no pace, urgency or creativity. They lose a main striker and brought in Rooney who's slipped drastically in his game play, he's a shadow of the player he once was. I just couldn't see what he was trying shape wise or tactic wise yesterday, needs a result very soon.

Also the huge purchase of Sigurdsson in basically the same position as Rooney and not buying a lukaku replacement

Iain G
16-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Woy will be out of work by next weekend 😁

Haymaker
16-09-2017, 07:16 PM
No doubt, but he is still a filler. At Birmingham he will be a one year plan

Aaaaaaaand he's gone.

But not the 14 signings though...

Holmesdale Hibs
17-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Interesting read this and I agree with most of the objective posts, as do most of the Palace fans I know. I'm a Palace season ticket holder these days as can't get to Hibs as much as I'd like so thought I'd add to this

The whole appointment of FDB was a strange one given where we are. You can't give someone a Pulis/Pardew/Allerdyce team and no budget and expect them to play Ajax football. Palace have a limited budget but some good players that suit a completely different style of play. FDB should never have been employed in the first place but given we made the appointment he should have been given more time - especially given the improvement against Burnley (Huddersfield and Swansea games were SHOCKING though). The next 3 games are City, United and Chelski so we'll probably have 0 points after 8 games and we've played the new manager card already.

A couple of other things to take in to account... the transfer window was a farce. We have one fit striker at the club and failed to sign one on deadline due to a technical error, amateur stuff. Also, alot of rumours coming from the club that the players all hated FDB, too many not to be true IMO.

As for Roy, he's probably as good as we can hope for given the mess we're in. He's a decent enough manager who will hopefully have us a bit better organised. The fans are realistic and don't expect fancy football.

I hope we stay up but wouldn't bet on it. It all feels a bit like Hibs under Butcher.