PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Levin's Hearts 24th October

NAE NOOKIE
10-09-2017, 01:10 PM
I didn't watch the Yam's game on ALBA but listened to it on the radio. After a good first 20 minutes it seemed that Aberdeen just ran out of ideas as Levin's goons swamped the midfield and shut down any prospect the Dons had of playing expansive football .... as the game wore on Aberdeen fell further and further back into their own half as the Yams industrial approach wore them down, so much so that the Dons custodian was by far the busier of the two keepers making several very good saves by all accounts.

There is no doubt that Levin will be hugely encouraged that his stifling approach to the beautiful game brought Aberdeen's winning run to a shuddering halt and given the way Hibs play he will undoubtedly revert to type at Easter Road in an attempt to muscle us out of the game.

My question is ..... How do we combat the tactics of this football genius? there will be an obvious difference in that Easter Road is wider than a tennis court and hopefully their tame ref wont be in charge, but that aside what else can we do?

lord bunberry
10-09-2017, 01:16 PM
I didn't watch the Yam's game on ALBA but listened to it on the radio. After a good first 20 minutes it seemed that Aberdeen just ran out of ideas as Levin's goons swamped the midfield and shut down any prospect the Dons had of playing expansive football .... as the game wore on Aberdeen fell further and further back into their own half as the Yams industrial approach wore them down, so much so that the Dons custodian was by far the busier of the two keepers making several very good saves by all accounts.

There is no doubt that Levin will be hugely encouraged that his stifling approach to the beautiful game brought Aberdeen's winning run to a shuddering halt and given the way Hibs play he will undoubtedly revert to type at Easter Road in an attempt to muscle us out of the game.

My question is ..... How do we combat the tactics of this football genius? there will be an obvious difference in that Easter Road is wider than a tennis court and hopefully their tame ref wont be in charge, but that aside what else can we do?
I'd love to see them try to muscle big Marv out of the game.

Elephant Stone
10-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Teams normally get a decent result for a manager's first game. In the derby both teams will be as up for it as each other, our squad is far superior to theirs, especially in midfield, and I totally expect to be sending that dull, arrogant prick home with a face even more sour than normal.

Pete
10-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Didn't listen to it but Hearts apparently gave Aberdeen a bit of a pounding in the second half. I've a feeling there may be a bit more to them than simply being cloggers and we could be in for a tough game.

However, we aren't ones to be pushed about and will give as good as we get. Could be a good, even game and even though I'd prefer to go in expecting to thump them, I'm quite looking forward to it.

May the best team win.

.Sean.
10-09-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm not worried in the slightest about not getting a win against that shower. Levein's 'tactics' will have been well and truly sussed out by the time they get round to playing us.

matty_f
10-09-2017, 01:31 PM
We gave Aberdeen a pounding at Hampden. Looking forward to the derby.

FilipinoHibs
10-09-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm not worried in the slightest about not getting a win against that shower. Levein's 'tactics' will have been well and truly sussed out by the time they get round to playing us.

We have a wider pitch too!

High-On-Hibs
10-09-2017, 01:34 PM
I reckon their scrap approach will suit us down to the ground to be honest. Last person you want to get into a scrap with is Neil Lennon, especially with a team with the likes of John McGinn and Bartley in midfield. Get big Dave up front next to Murray with McGinn just sitting in behind them.

From what i've taken from Edinburgh Derbies, the best way to beat Hearts is to play them at their own game and I reckon we can do it better than them.

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-09-2017, 01:36 PM
It'll be a tough game with Levein setting up to try and intimidate and bully us. Problem for him is we're a different beast from 5/10/15 years ago.

McGregor/Gray/Hanlon/Bartley are all leaders. Everyone of them could be captain. Couple that with the attacking prowess of Whitty, Slivka, Murray, Boyle and Stokes.

They need to worry about us,not the other way around. **** hearts. We've got a fair superior squad and mentality/togetherness than them. 2 or 3 nil to the green and white army

Jack Hackett
10-09-2017, 01:48 PM
We have a wider pitch too!

There was talk of LeVain having the pitch narrowed to Tyny dimensions and when I looked in on the Alba broadcast, this certainly looked to be the case. They won't have the luxury of pulling that kind of fast one at ER. Step up Barker, Boyle and Whitty :aok:

SRHibs
10-09-2017, 01:50 PM
With the amount of chances we are making we are due someone an absolute skelping. Let's hope that someone is Hearts.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2017, 02:17 PM
We gave Aberdeen a pounding at Hampden. Looking forward to the derby.

Correct:aok:

eastcoasthibby
10-09-2017, 02:31 PM
There was talk of LeVain having the pitch narrowed to Tyny dimensions and when I looked in on the Alba broadcast, this certainly looked to be the case. They won't have the luxury of pulling that kind of fast one at ER. Step up Barker, Boyle and Whitty :aok:

Pre-match on the radio said that the.
pitch had been set out same size as their pitch at their midden !!
In commentary yesterday it said that they set up essentially with 5 at the back ..not like Budgie's boy !

Keith_M
10-09-2017, 02:37 PM
He already gave an interview where he all but admitted the style of football his team was going to play.

'When it was put to Levein that his style of football, perceived as being direct, had many detractors, he replied: “Listen, that’s Scottish football, eh? You are going to get criticism.

“I firmly believe in certain things. When your team is not doing well the supporters want you to win. Once you’re winning they want you to play well – so let’s get to the bit where they want us to win. Then I’ll be happy. '

Simple Plans (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/craig-levein-has-simple-plan-to-help-revive-hearts-1-4554155)

I also mentioned yesterday that he had the Murrayfield pitch narrowed to the same width as Tynecastle, presumably to stifle any width of the other teams. It seems to have worked.

Jack Hackett
10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
He already gave an interview where he all but admitted the style of football his team was going to play.

'When it was put to Levein that his style of football, perceived as being direct, had many detractors, he replied: “Listen, that’s Scottish football, eh? You are going to get criticism.

“I firmly believe in certain things. When your team is not doing well the supporters want you to win. Once you’re winning they want you to play well – so let’s get to the bit where they want us to win. Then I’ll be happy. '

Simple Plans (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/craig-levein-has-simple-plan-to-help-revive-hearts-1-4554155)

I also mentioned yesterday that he had the Murrayfield pitch narrowed to the same width as Tynecastle, presumably to stifle any width of the other teams. It seems to have worked.

Who needs width when all you do is hoooooof it up the other end? :lolyam:

Sir David Gray
10-09-2017, 04:31 PM
If we can start to convert some of the 40 thousand chances that we are creating (but ultimately missing) just now then I have no fears about playing them at Easter Road.

We have a superior manager and a better squad and I'm confident that will prevail in this game.

Glory Lurker
10-09-2017, 06:24 PM
If we can start to convert some of the 40 thousand chances that we are creating (but ultimately missing) just now.....

This has to get sorted out. It's been a theme for the last three years. The big problem we've got now of course is that the teams we're up against are better at creating their own chances than Championship teams are.

BS44
10-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Having seen far too many decent Hibs teams either draw or lose to that pack of dogs there is no chance I will either play us up or knock them down.

All Hearts fans are ugly, smell and have nits

Bostonhibby
10-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Having seen far too many decent Hibs teams either draw or lose to that pack of dogs there is no chance I will either play us up or knock them down.

All Hearts fans are ugly, smell and have nits[emoji106] Spot on.

Except the bit about nits, they gave it a go but ultimately rejected the hearts fans.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

DarlingtonHibee
10-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Anyone able to post a link to Steve Archibald winner at Tynecastle?

Carheenlea
10-09-2017, 07:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZyY9YzZq8&app=desktop
Anyone able to post a link to Steve Archibald winner at Tynecastle?

DarlingtonHibee
10-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Cheers, still looks brilliant, boy had class!!

BS44
10-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Christ, watching that clip you would think it was almost thirty years ago!

Possibly my favourite win against the dogs since I have been watching Hibs. But if anyone else puts up a clip of another winner for the good guys against the dogs I will happily get all misty eyed and claim that is my favourite goal against them

munchar
10-09-2017, 08:11 PM
May the best team win.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, nah. Even if we are Tom Kite, I hope we win.
Stifle us all you want. Bartley will thrive on that, & SJM can't be stifled.
Bring them on!

Big L
10-09-2017, 08:18 PM
In all honesty, they have some good players. Potter added a bit of steel in midfield wi Callaghan, which they badly needed. We need to match up in midfield or they will be tough to beat. We need to start taking the chances we create and not be so wasteful.

Billy Whizz
10-09-2017, 08:23 PM
They'll come for a 0-0, we need to be ready for this

SirDavidsNapper
10-09-2017, 08:25 PM

All Hearts fans are ugly, smell and have nits

That's the attitude that saw us not winning many derbys. Hearts are pish. Hibs are better all over the park and we'll beat them again next month.

jacomo
10-09-2017, 08:32 PM

I think I know what he's trying to say but he's dicked it up, no?

Lancs Harp
10-09-2017, 08:46 PM
A rugby team on a rugby pitch playing rugby tactics. Hibs class will prevail.

hibbysam
11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Hopefully Thomson isn't in charge, failing to give a stonewaller penalty and red card against Berra in the first minute. Total game changer.

SeanWilson
11-09-2017, 09:53 AM
At some point our 20 odd shots on goal are going to start coming to fruition... hopefully this weekend. By the time we play that lot, we'll be firing on all - pair that with the fact we no longer fear the derbies, I reckon we could give them a doing. They're *****. At the end of the day, Potter had them from Thursday last week, all he's done is tell them to play non football and hoof. They've had the new manager upturn, I'm sure of it.

Keith_M
11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I think I know what he's trying to say but he's dicked it up, no?

Yeah, I think he went a bit Cathroesque at the end there.

Keith_M
11-09-2017, 10:24 AM
At some point our 20 odd shots on goal are going to start coming to fruition...

I really hope so but it feels like we've been saying that for about three years now.

emerald green
11-09-2017, 11:06 AM
One thing's for sure, and that is the Yams will not put in another totally gutless performance like the one when Hibs beat them 3-1 (going on 6-1) at ER recently.

Hibs will need to be right up for a battle, and need I say it, they simply have to put the ball in the net when the chances arrive. We certainly will not be able to give them a goal of a start either.

Keith_M
11-09-2017, 11:14 AM
I think people are maybe under-estimating Hearts. They have some pretty decent players and with Levein's industrial style football, as they showed against Aberdeen, they're gonna be an awkward prospect.

I'd feel a lot more confident if we get our ratio of chances to goals sorted out before we play them.

Stevie Reid
11-09-2017, 11:19 AM
I think people are maybe under-estimating Hearts. They have some pretty decent players and with Levein's industrial style football, as they showed against Aberdeen, they're gonna be an awkward prospect.

I'd feel a lot more confident if we get our ratio of chances to goals sorted out before we play them.

I think so too. I watched their highlights yesterday and their numerous chances seemed to come from harassing Aberdeen out of possession, and then cutting them open. I didn't see many hoofs up the park, Lafferty was on the bench also, and they seemed to have considerable pace in the wide areas.

Levein is no mug, and knows how to organise a team - the intensity of the Hearts performance was like and night and day compared to when Cathro was there. This Hearts team won't be rolled over easily like they were last season.

Of course we have many good players and we can definitely hurt them - but Levein's derby record shouldn't be ignored.

Captain Trips
11-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Indeed these chances have to be converted and it needs to start on Saturday.

11-09-2017, 11:36 AM

I agree with this too and we also need to improve our ratio of chances against us to goals conceded.

ian cruise
11-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Pre-match on the radio said that the.
pitch had been set out same size as their pitch at their midden !!
In commentary yesterday it said that they set up essentially with 5 at the back ..not like Budgie's boy !

Do teams not have to declare their pitch size at start of the season and keep it that length/width for the remainder? If so then they would have had no other option.

lord bunberry
11-09-2017, 12:09 PM
We've scored 9 goals in 5 games. I know it should have been more, but it's a decent return. Hearts have scored 3 goals, I think they've got far more to worry about on the goal scoring front.

green day
11-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Jambos seem to think the boy from Raith had a good debut - even that he will "deal with" big Marv, I have my doubts.

From the highlights on Sportscene, they played quite well in a "cup tie" kind of way, clearly designed to blow the sheep away.

However it shouldnt be ignored that Berra pulled Rooney back and it was as clear a pen and red card as you will see. That happens, its a different match.

All I want when we play them is a half decent ref.

Keith_M
11-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Do teams not have to declare their pitch size at start of the season and keep it that length/width for the remainder? If so then they would have had no other option.

I would imagine that's only for their home stadium and wouldn't apply to Murrayfield.

The pitch at Murrayfield is longer than Tynecastle and they didn't (actually couldn't) change that.

truehibernian
11-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Jambos seem to think the boy from Raith had a good debut - even that he will "deal with" big Marv, I have my doubts.

From the highlights on Sportscene, they played quite well in a "cup tie" kind of way, clearly designed to blow the sheep away.

However it shouldnt be ignored that Berra pulled Rooney back and it was as clear a pen and red card as you will see. That happens, its a different match.

All I want when we play them is a half decent ref.

Said at the time he's a Martin Scott type player. Won't last 5 minutes with Bartley unless he resorts to dirty play. His first 'tackle' v Aberdeen was as clear a caution as you'll see, then he committed two challenges equally worthy of a card. Bearing in mind they've been used to Malaury Martin, The Greek Sauzee (Tziolis), Sam Nicholson, Djoum, and Don Cowie - none of whom can break the skin on a rice pudding. They'll appreciate any 'clogger' that leaves a foot in.

Play with width v Hearts and we'll win, their full backs are simply awful.

southern hibby
11-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Really believe we'll absolutely destroy them. I'm going for 4-1 Hibs only giving them a goal because we like to give teams a fighting chance with the first goal.

GGTTH

Joe6-2
12-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Indeed these chances have to be converted and it needs to start on Saturday.

This is a recurring theme, and has been the last few seasons, what is our problem with not taking chances?!

where'stheslope
13-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Our created chances that we don't take is a problem, we seem to think the next one will go in so we don't make sure?

With the Yams its the same although on Saturday they could easily have scored 3 goals, Aberdeen's goalkeeper made some excellent saves, and all of them on target, which we seem to miss the target when we get our chances.

It could be quite an open game, but if we take the chances we create we should be OK!!!!

SunshineOnLeith
13-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I would imagine that's only for their home stadium and wouldn't apply to Murrayfield.

The pitch at Murrayfield is longer than Tynecastle and they didn't (actually couldn't) change that.

I think the point is that they had to mark out the Tynecastle pitch dimensions onto Murrayfield's huge surface, which contributes to it all looking a bit weird.

Souter96Mac
13-09-2017, 03:45 PM
This is a recurring theme, and has been the last few seasons, what is our problem with not taking chances?!

What about If we remove the goalposts?

Ómaigh-Hib
13-09-2017, 05:49 PM

That is the position in England and clubs are not allowed to change dimensions mid season without prior permission. Seems to be allowed in Scotland, though.

Seem to remember that Alloa narrowed the pitch last year when The Ringers visited.

Onceinawhile
13-09-2017, 05:51 PM
That is the position in England and clubs are not allowed to change dimensions mid season without prior permission. Seems to be allowed in Scotland, though.

Seem to remember that Alloa narrowed the pitch last year when The Ringers visited.

Think they had to leave it like that for the rest of their games. Think killie did it too.

Kato
13-09-2017, 05:52 PM
I think the point is that they had to mark out the Tynecastle pitch dimensions onto Murrayfield's huge surface, which contributes to it all looking a bit weird.

They choose to change the width, the length was determined by the goalpost holes.

SunshineOnLeith
13-09-2017, 08:39 PM
They choose to change the width, the length was determined by the goalpost holes.

Bu rugby goals aren't the same width as football goals?