PDA

View Full Version : Corners

Billy Whizz
09-09-2017, 06:57 PM
We've had 28 corners in our last 2 away games, and created hehaw from any of them. Great that we're creating this many, but not resulting in any advantage to us

greenlex
09-09-2017, 07:10 PM
I know the thinking is drawing players out the crowded box with the short corners but they so far have absolutely abysmal. Get the ball into. The box. It's fine mixing it up every now and then to keep the opposition guessing in fact U think that's good practise. We are however piss poor at the short one. 28 corners? I can't help thinking we would have scored from at least one of them getting it into the box. At the very least we would be threatening to score. That can't be said for our short efforts. Very frustrating.

09-09-2017, 07:12 PM
We are missing Hendo's, Keatings' and Cummings' corners.

brianmc
09-09-2017, 09:27 PM
I vaguely remember listening to a radio sports programme discussion about corners v goals scored ( it was either on 5live or talksport during the summer). If I'm not mistaken the stat was that only 5% of corners are scored...... So the other 95% result in hee haw.
Which goes to show a couple of things: firstly, we're all dafties for getting excited if we get a corner
Secondly, there was a very real and sensible reason why (for instance) Pep's Barcelona team always took short corners/free kicks around the box rather than the Scottish idea of "get it in the box!!"

* I for one am more concerned that in the near 30 years I've had a season ticket we still are absolutely unable to take throw ins.

DTS
09-09-2017, 09:36 PM
I vaguely remember listening to a radio sports programme discussion about corners v goals scored ( it was either on 5live or talksport during the summer). If I'm not mistaken the stat was that only 5% of corners are scored...... So the other 95% result in hee haw.
Which goes to show a couple of things: firstly, we're all dafties for getting excited if we get a corner
Secondly, there was a very real and sensible reason why (for instance) Pep's Barcelona team always took short corners/free kicks around the box rather than the Scottish idea of "get it in the box!!"

* I for one am more concerned that in the near 30 years I've had a season ticket we still are absolutely unable to take throw ins.

The throw in thing drives me crazy!!! Every other team in the world seems to be able to take a quick throw bar us

scm70nyd1973
09-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Maybe not daft but a couple of corners taken in a game in May 2016 have left their mark and fill us with a fair bit of anticipation !

skipster7
09-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Maybe not daft but a couple of corners taken in a game in May 2016 have left their mark and fill us with a fair bit of anticipation !

A quick throw in before the 3rd as well :flag:

brianmc
09-09-2017, 09:59 PM
The throw in thing drives me crazy!!! Every other team in the world seems to be able to take a quick throw bar us

Or even a slow one, which we can't manage!
I referenced Barça in my previous post because I have previously treated myself to a trip to watch them on a few occasions. The major thing that differs between our game and theirs (and I'm well aware of the difference in individual ability) is:a throw in to them is just a chance to keep possession of the ball. A free kick anywhere outwith scoring range is a chance to keep possession of the ball. A corner is a chance to keep possession of the ball......

For us it's FFS-throw it doon the line, hope for a flick on, something MIGHT happen. Whilst a Free kick anywhere within 80 yards of the opponents goal=all the big guys up, and launch it into 'the mix', see what happens.
Corners? Have you heard the abuse if the ball isn't pumped into the box?? Yet ALL teams rarely score from corners.

In short: throw ins, free kicks and corners are all times in a game where the team gets a free go at keeping the ball. WTF do Scottish teams use these set plays to give the ball away?

And of course, why oh why oh why (etc) do all Hibs players run away from the man trying to take a throw in?

brianmc
09-09-2017, 10:01 PM

As brilliant an occasion as that was I'd rather not wait another 114 years till our next decent corner.

brianmc
09-09-2017, 10:02 PM
A quick throw in before the 3rd as well :flag:

See above

RyeSloan
09-09-2017, 10:05 PM
See above

Slivka scored from a quick throw in at Ibrox this season..::

High-On-Hibs
09-09-2017, 10:07 PM
The problem isn't just not scoring goals from corners, it's creating absolutely no chances from them either. Every single one seems to be an absolute waste.

neil7908
09-09-2017, 10:14 PM
We are missing Hendo's, Keatings' and Cummings' corners.

Yes to Keatings and Hendo. Not sure if that Cummings was a great corner taker tbh.

All jokes aside it is an issue. We have a few players in the squad who are decent in the air and corners should be a great chance for us to press the opposition. At the moment though we're offering nothing.

neil7908
09-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Also agree on the throw in thing as well - my dad and I have been saying that for years!

1van Sprou7e
09-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Yes to Keatings and Hendo. Not sure if that Cummings was a great corner taker tbh.

All jokes aside it is an issue. We have a few players in the squad who are decent in the air and corners should be a great chance for us to press the opposition. At the moment though we're offering nothing.

Cummings' corners from the left side were excellent in his last few months here

MWHIBBIES
09-09-2017, 11:19 PM
Is it only a good corner if you score from it? Plenty of dangerous situations and good crosses from them today. One cleared off the line late 2nd half.

truehibernian
09-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Is it only a good corner if you score from it? Plenty of dangerous situations and good crosses from them today. One cleared off the line late 2nd half.

True MW, but I'd like to see far more variety and keeping the opposition guessing. For example, a good 'short corner' is playing a quick ball to the near post and drawing the defender out to mark the receiving player and creating angles.........or playing a hard 'pass' to the edge of the box and drawing out the whole back line.........we seem intent on always getting the ball into the box however don't vary the delivery. The OP is bang on, we don't capitalise on what is essentially a set piece.

scm70nyd1973
09-09-2017, 11:30 PM

Just wish we could hire Zitelli as a corner taking coach - I seem to recall his were pretty scary for the defences.

poolman
09-09-2017, 11:34 PM
A lot of managers on this thread 😂

heretoday
09-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Corners and throw-ins were never our forte, except in cup finals.

scm70nyd1973
10-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Not a Manager - never will be - not being serious - I very rarely am - just having a bit of fun really and reminiscing over things on a dreich morning here in Auckland as I watch a tree being removed following a mini storm - wishing I was in Robbies having a few Don Revies.

cabbageandribs1875
10-09-2017, 12:38 AM
In short: throw ins, free kicks and corners are all times in a game where the team gets a free go at keeping the ball. WTF do Scottish teams use these set plays to give the ball away?

And of course, why oh why oh why (etc) do all Hibs players run away from the man trying to take a throw in?

i remember joking on here a few years ago that we should refuse to take throw-in's...for that very reason :greengrin

Onceinawhile
10-09-2017, 06:53 AM
I take it no one's memory stretches as far back as ooohhh rangers at ibrox?

You know, Stevenson throw in to slivka, slivka scores?

The throw in thing is a total myth.

marinello59
10-09-2017, 07:00 AM
I take it no one's memory stretches as far back as ooohhh rangers at ibrox?

You know, Stevenson throw in to slivka, slivka scores?

The throw in thing is a total myth.

:agree:

eastcoasthibby
10-09-2017, 07:53 AM

No sure you need to be a manager to see that we are.getting nothing from our corners ... you need to have.movement in the box to get a bit of space on your marker ..but the delivery needs to get into the area ...oh and you need a bit.of aggression and timing to want to get on the end of it ..but most important is putting the ball in the area !!!

Hibs1969
10-09-2017, 08:06 AM
The throw in thing drives me crazy!!! Every other team in the world seems to be able to take a quick throw bar usThe last decent, quick throw in I can remember us take was in injury time on Saturday 21st May 2016. 🙂

scm70nyd1973
10-09-2017, 09:03 AM
The last decent, quick throw in I can remember us take was in injury time on Saturday 21st May 2016. 🙂

I am an old git and I can recall and liked (still do) the throw in (not a really quick one right enough) for the first goal on 01/01/1973. Never get tired of watching it.

worcesterhibby
10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Maybe someone who has played the game at a higher level than me might be able to explain something to me. Just about every team in the world, seems to send their big players up for corners. These players then take up position "inside" the box. They dart about a bit and wrestle with the defender who is trying to mark them. They sometimes run to the front post, or try to peel off and curve backwards. But basically they stand in the box, jostling for position.

Why don't all the attacking players stand outside the box and as the corner is about to be taken, run in, so that:

A) there is a lot more space in the box to attack to ball
B) They would be running towards the goal..attacking it
C) they would not be jumping from a standing start as they are much of the time when just jostling around the box
D) they would be much harder to mark as they would be running towards the goal
E) The first two or three to set off, could run to the front/back post and pull defenders that way..thus creating space for those running a second later into the space created.

This never seems to happen...the majority attackers always start in the box...not run into it...why ?

hibbycraig
10-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Fill them in.

High-On-Hibs
10-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Don't need to be a manager to tell players that they need to beat the first man when taking a corner.

Hibbycol
10-09-2017, 11:32 AM
We've had 28 corners in our last 2 away games, and created hehaw from any of them. Great that we're creating this many, but not resulting in any advantage to usErm liam henderson can deliver from corners me thinks ☺

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Erm liam henderson can deliver from corners me thinks ☺

I think it's all down to the quality of the corner taker. We miss the likes of Liam/ James Keatings on set plays

Hibbycol
10-09-2017, 11:41 AM
I think it's all down to the quality of the corner taker. We miss the likes of Liam/ James Keatings on set playsAgree ,maybe stats guys can tell me who took all the 28 corners ,is it mixed or same few ?

kaimendhibs
10-09-2017, 11:43 AM
So happy with our team and club but throw ins....arghhhhh. Have never seen a team as slow taking them, and been the case for years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRHibs
10-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Maybe someone who has played the game at a higher level than me might be able to explain something to me. Just about every team in the world, seems to send their big players up for corners. These players then take up position "inside" the box. They dart about a bit and wrestle with the defender who is trying to mark them. They sometimes run to the front post, or try to peel off and curve backwards. But basically they stand in the box, jostling for position.

Why don't all the attacking players stand outside the box and as the corner is about to be taken, run in, so that:

A) there is a lot more space in the box to attack to ball
B) They would be running towards the goal..attacking it
C) they would not be jumping from a standing start as they are much of the time when just jostling around the box
D) they would be much harder to mark as they would be running towards the goal
E) The first two or three to set off, could run to the front/back post and pull defenders that way..thus creating space for those running a second later into the space created.

This never seems to happen...the majority attackers always start in the box...not run into it...why ?

This happens all the time in the EPL. I agree, surely attacking the ball with momentum on your side would be more effective. Not sure why we don't see it in the SPL.

High-On-Hibs
10-09-2017, 12:26 PM
This happens all the time in the EPL. I agree, surely attacking the ball with momentum on your side would be more effective. Not sure why we don't see it in the SPL.

Because teams in the SPL tend to play on the break more. Corners can backfire quite easily when the opposition are playing that way and you commit too many players forward.

NAE NOOKIE
10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Corners:

1) Stop lumping the ball down the keepers throat .... 90% of keepers in this league are competent and will catch or punch a high ball in the 6 yard box 99% of the time.

2) Get a couple of guys to the near post end of the 6 yard box, you have a much better chance of making something happen if you get to the ball first.

3) Have at least one player 25 yards from goal in a central position.

4) Have a player on the far side of the pitch from the corner, I've lost count of the number of over hit corners I've seen where the ball ends up in yards of space between the 18 yard box and the touchline without an attacking sides player anywhere near being in a position to get onto it.

5) As someone else said, try to give yourself a run onto the ball .... if you are a 5'10" forward being marked by a 6'2" centre half and you are both starting from a static position you have little or no chance of beating him in the air.

Smartie
10-09-2017, 12:30 PM
We had become pretty dangerous from them for a while - around the time of the Cup final and those playoffs we seemed to score loads from corners. Darren McGregor in particular seemed to be a big threat.

We seem to have been disappointing from corners from a bit.

I actually think we've improved quite a lot from throw-ins of late. I don't think we're anything like as bad as we've been, and as was mentioned we even got a goal from one at Ibrox.

cabbageandribs1875
10-09-2017, 12:34 PM
our mega corner count was mentioned on todays sportsound by archie macpherson, his family members that follow hibs mentioned it to him :greengrin yogi is on the show as well

i can see our corner count getting mentioned on news at ten :)