PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Barker

theonlywayisup
09-09-2017, 10:05 AM
One of the interesting features of this season will be watching Brandon Barker develop during his time at Hibs.

He didn't offer much in his first game against Hamilton, but I was more impressed with his display away to Dundee. Seems willing to take players on, deliver good crosses and was happy to shoot with either foot.

I'm expecting him to get better with more games under his belt. Hope today he gets a goal to build his confidence for the months to come.

Elephant Stone
09-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Thought he was just a wee bit behind Bartley for MOTM against Dundee. Looks like an excellent player and it will be a joy to see him on one wing and Boyle on the other.

09-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Thought he was excellent against Dundee and looking forward to seeing him again today.

greenlex
09-09-2017, 07:23 PM
No better than average today but let's not forget St Johnstone and Richard Foster is no slouch and very experienced.He kept him quiet and gave Swanson zero when he came on.

The_Horde
09-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Was very good on the ball today and at times in the first half Foster couldn't get near him. But he needs to play a bit more dangerously and make himself available in more dangerous areas. Keeping posesssion isn't always what we need.

Jumbo
09-09-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm wondering as to the reasoning behind the holes in his socks on the calf :confused:

kaimendhibs
09-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Dodgy socks indeed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Firestarter
09-09-2017, 11:27 PM
He's a 'baller who will go very far in the game. We are extremely lucky to have him. Come next month he will be a superstar.

LaMotta
09-09-2017, 11:37 PM
He's a 'baller who will go very far in the game. We are extremely lucky to have him. Come next month he will be a superstar.

based on his performances so far for us that seems unlikely.

hope your right though :greengrin

Firestarter
10-09-2017, 12:13 AM
based on his performances so far for us that seems unlikely.

hope your right though :greengrin

He has all the skill in the world In his locker and his attitude is incredibly good. He speaks like a gangster but he's going to be be some player.

DarrenSQH
10-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Dodgy socks indeed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/88ded8353a27aab863522b8b78ff8822.jpg

j'adore hibs
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Gareth bale does it too but smaller holes
Bale's season has been blighted by three calf injuries and in a bid to prevent further time on the treatment table he's taken unorthodox measures, cutting holes in both his socks. Relieves pressure apparently

Billy Whizz
10-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Brandon is a young lad learning his trade. A few appearances off the bench over the next few games, will do him no harm

cabbageandribs1875
10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
boy that's on hibs tv with cliff suggested it relieves pressure on his calfs...or sommit like that :)

NAE NOOKIE
10-09-2017, 11:49 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/88ded8353a27aab863522b8b78ff8822.jpg

Bloody hell .... I've seen it all now :confused:

theonlywayisup
16-09-2017, 07:16 PM
One of the interesting features of this season will be watching Brandon Barker develop during his time at Hibs.

He didn't offer much in his first game against Hamilton, but I was more impressed with his display away to Dundee. Seems willing to take players on, deliver good crosses and was happy to shoot with either foot.

I'm expecting him to get better with more games under his belt. Hope today he gets a goal to build his confidence for the months to come.

Well, I see one thread on Brandon has been deleted.

So, I'm going to post my thoughts then close the thread until such time as we are all in a better position to assess the player.

As many have said in the now closed thread, in the first half he was good, sometimes very good, often over playing it. But then, so did others.

Then his form dipped. As did others. He's 20, born 4th October 1996. He's only 20.

That said, I was surprised how poor he was in the second half. Very poor. He's only 20, but he'll have to learn that he needs to be a lot better than that if he's going to make it in the game - it's Motherwell he was playing, not the big names of the Premiership. He's well respected at Man City and they'll expect much better than what he offerred in the 2nd half. We all know that.

Let's move on and let's hope he learns from today and becomes a better player, whether that's at Hibs or somewhere else.

Thread closed for the moment!

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-09-2017, 08:53 AM
First half was good but the second half was below standard. He has to get used to first team football. To be fair to him, he's not the only Hibs player at the moment who is lacking consistency through 90 minutes.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 08:58 AM
He looked good in the first half on the left and caused Motherwell a few problems. Why was he switched to the right in the second half? As some have said hes a young lad, he'll make mistakes but I think we can all see he has a bit of talent, hopefully he will get better and better as the seasons wears on. I'd be inclined for us the be a bit more solid as the moment and would use him as a possible impact player from the bench in the forthcoming matches. Not sure its worth persisting with at the moment with the Boyle on one side and Barker on the other side tactic, its leaving us short in the middle.

GreenOnions
17-09-2017, 10:14 AM
He looked good in the first half on the left and caused Motherwell a few problems. Why was he switched to the right in the second half? As some have said hes a young lad, he'll make mistakes but I think we can all see he has a bit of talent, hopefully he will get better and better as the seasons wears on. I'd be inclined for us the be a bit more solid as the moment and would use him as a possible impact player from the bench in the forthcoming matches. Not sure its worth persisting with at the moment with the Boyle on one side and Barker on the other side tactic, its leaving us short in the middle.

I think this is spot on. At times in the first half he looked excellent - our most dangerous player in fact (although McGinn delivered some lovely through balls - including the one for the penalty).

Motherwell were getting two and three defenders over to him all the time so they obviously had concerns about him. He still managed to deliver a good few quality balls into the box though.

Second half he just faded out the game and Boyle had made very little impact throughout. That made it extremely difficult for McGinn and Bartley as you say.

Barker looks like he has a lot of ability but I agree we need to concentrate more on being solid in the middle. Our formation yesterday also implied that two of our most able players with the ball at their feet (McGeouch and Slivka) were sitting on the bench. I can see what Lennon was trying to do but it didn't work.

I definitely think that Barker has something though and I think he'll make a valuable contribution for us while he's here.

Eyrie
17-09-2017, 10:34 AM

He moved to the right when Boyle came off and Stokes was brought back to play on the left.

Forza Fred
17-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I thought like many that his first half performance was good, but he over ran the ball in the second half.

I guess he's here to fine tune things, so that could be expected from a loan player.

I'd stick with him as he will get it right and open up a few defences as the season rolls on.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Started very well. Direct and can see the lad has talent. At times I felt he held on to the ball too much. Get it in the box!

I thought he tired after about an hour.

For me he's am impact player right now. Get Dylan or Sliv in the middle of the park with Murray,Stokes and Boyle up top

Nicho87
17-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Can beat a player. Is he 110% committed, I'm yet to be convinced

theonlywayisup
21-10-2017, 05:55 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on him?

I keep thinking he's about to do something special, but it just doesn't come off for the young lad. I think there is a lot of potential in him, we've just not seen it yet.

Here's hoping that this something special happens on Tuesday night.

HarpyHibby
21-10-2017, 05:58 PM

I keep thinking he's about to do something special, but it just doesn't come off for the young lad. I think there is a lot of potential in him, we've just not seen it yet.

I slated him on another thread before today’s game saying he’d be a waste of a jersey. Thought he was decent going forward but abysmal for the first goal. I think he’ll turn out like every other loan player that makes their way north of the border to us from a big English club.

thebausburst
21-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Not a patch on our own Boyle, Barker has zero end product 90% of the time, the odd exciting run is eye catching but how many actually result in anything?

bingo70
21-10-2017, 06:19 PM
I like him.

Hearts full backs are poor and he could have a field day if he starts.

thebausburst
21-10-2017, 06:21 PM
I like him.

Hearts full backs are poor and he could have a field day if he starts.

Wishful thinking mate, not much evidence Barker can have a field day against anyone

Heisenberg
21-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Wishful thinking mate, not much evidence Barker can have a field day against anyone

Maybe try giving him a chance instead of constantly putting him and his ability down?

thebausburst
21-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Maybe try giving him a chance instead of constantly putting him and his ability down?
He's had plent game time, just my opinion, not going to big him up just cause I'm a hibbie

Viva_Palmeiras
21-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Maybe his/her username reflects his/her general mood

bingo70
21-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Miss his 70/80 yard run down the flank today? On his debut he had a pretty poor game but he very nearly created an amazing goal by cuttings inside and beating a couple of players. Against Dundee he was unplayable for the first half an hour.

I’m not going to list every successful dribble he’s had but to suggest he’s not shown anything so far is nonsense imo.

I think he’s a good player that’s not far away from it all clicking and him having a stormer.

thebausburst
21-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Miss his 70/80 yard run down the flank today? On his debut he had a pretty poor game but he very nearly created an amazing goal by cuttings inside and beating a couple of players. Against Dundee he was unplayable for the first half an hour.

I’m not going to list every successful dribble he’s had but to suggest he’s not shown anything so far is nonsense imo.

I think he’s a good player that’s not far away from it all clicking and him having a stormer.

No end product, saw the run but imo he's not a patch on Boyle who I do rate very highly, don't see a place for both of them in the same team, feel we look imbalanced and vulnerable cause Barker is poor defensively

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Not a patch on our own Boyle, Barker has zero end product 90% of the time, the odd exciting run is eye catching but how many actually result in anything?

You took the words out of my mouth.
:top marks

Hi Heid Yin
21-10-2017, 06:35 PM
No end product, saw the run but imo he's not a patch on Boyle who I do rate very highly, don't see a place for both of them in the same team, feel we look imbalanced and vulnerable cause Barker is poor defensively

Gosh, another poster who has taken the words out of mouth

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Today was easily his best game. If he keeps playing like that, he’ll be a big player for us this season.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-10-2017, 07:06 PM
I thought he played well today and **** me the boy is fast!

He's at hibs to develop as a player and that includes his final ball. Let's not forget when M.Boyle first joined he was similar although I believe Barker has more natural ability.

I wouldn't start him on Tues. It's the type of game where Levein will tell his players to take him out early on and see if he is up for the fight. Impact sub with 25 to go and he'll run riot

B.H.F.C
21-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Today was easily his best game. If he keeps playing like that, he’ll be a big player for us this season.

Thought he was lively when he actually got the ball first half. Pretty non existent second half. Thought he was much better up at Dundee. Didn't actually do anything that resulted in a chance today really.

The_Horde
21-10-2017, 07:19 PM
I'd be interested to see him playing more centrally. Reminds me so much of Scott Allan actually.

IberianHibernian
21-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Really surprised to read negative comments about Barker here . Thought he was outstanding in the first half , less involved in the second half understandable given the effort he`d put in in first half . No end result say some - true that he doesn`t score many for us or his previous clubs but he certainly makes chances for others - get someone in with Stokes in winter window ( Murray and Boyle are not good enough to be top 6 Premiership strikers ) and with Barker we`ll have a fantastic attack . Don`t see need to compare Barker with Boyle , in some matches both can play , in others only one or neither . Today against strong opposition I thought he was great , not afraid to attack and he can use both feet . Compare that with Boyle last week also against strong opposition where he constantly turned back onto his bad left foot and we lost momentum . Anyway , if Barker plays like that for the rest of the season he`ll have been a great signing and will certainly have other clubs following him if Man C don`t keep him .

lord bunberry
21-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Thought he was lively when he actually got the ball first half. Pretty non existent second half. Thought he was much better up at Dundee. Didn't actually do anything that resulted in a chance today really.
He was a great outball all second half. Him on one side and Boyle on the other gave Celtic something to think about. I’d start both of them against the slow untalented hearts.

calumhibee1
21-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Thought he was very good in spells today. Would love to see him start on the left with Boyle on the right on Tuesday with Slivka dropping out who's just not doing it for me. Although I feel sorry for him as he's never a wide midfielder.

LaMotta
21-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Barkers qualities are that he is rapid and looks good technically. Today was by far and away his best turnout for us.

His drawback for me currently seems to be his lack of a football brain (positionally, end product, decision making, defensive, 50 50s) and is why i think he will dissapear down the leagues in England after he leaves us.

judas
21-10-2017, 07:57 PM
He had one very good run today and credit to the lad for that, but I just don't see him as an enhancement to the first team. Boyle is a far more exciting and dangerous player in my view being something of the old fashioned winger.

Barker simply doesn't catch the eye much and I find myself being reminded that he is actually playing.

That said, he may yet be a worthwhile squad player at the moment, though I'm not convinced 2 wingers against Hearts will work.

ekhibee
21-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Really surprised to read negative comments about Barker here . Thought he was outstanding in the first half , less involved in the second half understandable given the effort he`d put in in first half . No end result say some - true that he doesn`t score many for us or his previous clubs but he certainly makes chances for others - get someone in with Stokes in winter window ( Murray and Boyle are not good enough to be top 6 Premiership strikers ) and with Barker we`ll have a fantastic attack . Don`t see need to compare Barker with Boyle , in some matches both can play , in others only one or neither . Today against strong opposition I thought he was great , not afraid to attack and he can use both feet . Compare that with Boyle last week also against strong opposition where he constantly turned back onto his bad left foot and we lost momentum . Anyway , if Barker plays like that for the rest of the season he`ll have been a great signing and will certainly have other clubs following him if Man C don`t keep him .
:agree:

RamYer1902
21-10-2017, 08:44 PM
I've been impressed by Barker most times I've seen him to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
21-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Amazing how folk see things differently

Folk talk about Barker having no football brain and then cite Boyle as having one. Really?

Boyle has done great for Hibs and I am sure will continue to do so but his good play is completely instinctive and borne out of chances created by his pace.

Tierney stood off him today giving him no chance of knocking it past him or being played in behind him and Boyle was utterly lost as to what to do and consequently other than long McGinn switched balls saw little of the ball.

Boyle's infield darts invariably result in his running into trouble and having the ball taken from him.

I know he needs to mix it up but virtually all Boyle's god play comes from balls beyond the defender he can run onto or his knocking it past the defender and beating him in a race, he has very little trickery and is inconsistent as hell

It is early days for Barker, who is hugely inexperienced and has a lot to learn but he has ability and a bit of trickery.

Like all wingers he is and likely always will be inconsistent, largely because wingers are judged on their beating players, crosses and goalscoring which makes them far more likely to lose possession, not knocking dolly balls all across the midfield with little risk attached.

Nicho87
21-10-2017, 09:07 PM
How many crosses did he actually deliver. Not convinced by Barker.

Thecat23
21-10-2017, 09:28 PM
I’ve a feeling he’ll do damage against Hearts.

Tornadoes70
21-10-2017, 09:29 PM

LaMotta
21-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Amazing how folk see things differently

Folk talk about Barker having no football brain and then cite Boyle as having one. Really?

Boyle has done great for Hibs and I am sure will continue to do so but his good play is completely instinctive and borne out of chances created by his pace.

Tierney stood off him today giving him no chance of knocking it past him or being played in behind him and Boyle was utterly lost as to what to do and consequently other than long McGinn switched balls saw little of the ball.

Boyle's infield darts invariably result in his running into trouble and having the ball taken from him.

I know he needs to mix it up but virtually all Boyle's god play comes from balls beyond the defender he can run onto or his knocking it past the defender and beating him in a race, he has very little trickery and is inconsistent as hell

It is early days for Barker, who is hugely inexperienced and has a lot to learn but he has ability and a bit of trickery.

Like all wingers he is and likely always will be inconsistent, largely because wingers are judged on their beating players, crosses and goalscoring which makes them far more likely to lose possession, not knocking dolly balls all across the midfield with little risk attached.

Boyle has end product. That is goals and assists. He also wins penalties and gets players booked.

Barker is yet to do any of that. Once he does you might have a point.

GreenOnions
21-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Barker was causing Lustig all sorts of problems in the first half. It was laughable when Lustig got MoM. Barker was definitely our main threat during that period although Celtic snuffed out the supply to him in the second half.

He has just joined the club and has also been injured. I would imagine that from now on, if fit, he will start more frequently than Boyle. I certainly hope he starts on Tuesday.

Spike Mandela
21-10-2017, 10:58 PM
I've seen a season on season improvement in Boyle's play as he, like Barker, clearly has ability. I expect Barker will make similar improvement but it might just be a future team that reaps the benefits.

Duncan Watmore and Sunderland spring to mind.

matty_f
21-10-2017, 11:00 PM
I thought Barker was good today, and was good when he came in against Aberdeen last week.

For me, he's a very talented player with a lot of potential. The more games he gets at this level, the better he'll get.

IberianHibernian
21-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Boyle has end product. That is goals and assists. He also wins penalties and gets players booked.

Barker is yet to do any of that. Once he does you might have a point. How many goals has Boyle scored for us this season or before when we were in a lower division ? Not many . Not really a criticism as he`s probably never been considered to be a striker ( remember all the sitters he missed in games last season ? ) but even playing upfront he scored fewer goals than Stanton or Harris in same league playing in weaker teams and playing upfront . Good sub to bring on against tired bottom 6 or lower opposition but nowhere near good enough to be a regular starter whether as winger or striker if we seriously want to be challenging for top 3 or better .

high bee
21-10-2017, 11:14 PM
I did enjoy the 70 yard run and when he latched onto his own through pass beating two defenders.

bingo70
21-10-2017, 11:16 PM
How many crosses did he actually deliver. Not convinced by Barker.

Stokes was up front himself.

How many times did he have someone to cross it too? He could have aimlessly chucked it in there of course however I felt we were more likely to create something by running at his man, I think the best we really got was a few corners and a shot that hit the side netting but I don’t see that as his fault, we just lacked numbers in the final third.

Roxyhibee
21-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Disagree. The boy has definite potential to cut into that box on Tuesday night and cause a bit of glorious mayhem.

Talented player who can only get better as the season starts to develop.

Unseen work
22-10-2017, 12:25 AM
He goes past defenders very easily with his pace and skill.

His final ball of poor however, the amount of times this season he has got into a good position to lash at it with his left foot which hits the side net in mental.

That is just decision making though and will come with the more games he plays and confidence he gets.

There is no doubt he is a good player

Dunbar Hibee
22-10-2017, 06:08 AM
I like him but there is times he actually looks scared to run at players/ take them on. Boyle was much more effective when he came on.

The_Horde
22-10-2017, 11:02 AM
I thought Barker was good today, and was good when he came in against Aberdeen last week.

For me, he's a very talented player with a lot of potential. The more games he gets at this level, the better he'll get.

Agree with this.

He needs to work on a few things but he wouldn't be at hibs if he didn't. Main things at the moment are getting to the byeline more and getting his shots/crosses in more quickly .

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 11:10 AM
He's improving every game he plays. He will make it, that's for sure.

hibsdaft
22-10-2017, 11:18 AM
It was probably his best performance for us going forward, but in my view he might have cost us the game. Barker has little interest in defending and that cost us that crucial first goal. I actually blame Lennon for this though. IMO its been obvious every time he's played for us that he only wants the ball at his feet. He shouldn't have been in the starting XI in a game we needed 11 players willing to put a defensive shift in, and we really needed to be in the game at HT in. Stokes is already one luxury in that respect, arguably. Fine to bring him on at HT or on the hour, especially when Celtc we starting to tire, but don't start with him. That should have been the game plan anyway given their tiredness, and is one reason Boyle did so well. he wouldn't have done as well if he'd started IMO. I honestly think if we were one down at HT or on the hour yesterday we'd have gone through.

He's worth persevering with though and if we do I suspect he'll score an wonder goal or two for us by the end of the season. We just have to be realistic about what he brings to the table though. There's a reason he's with us on loan. Play him in the right games, at the right times and he will do good things for us.

hhibs
22-10-2017, 12:01 PM
It was probably his best performance for us going forward, but in my view he might have cost us the game. Barker has little interest in defending and that cost us that crucial first goal. I actually blame Lennon for this though. IMO its been obvious every time he's played for us that he only wants the ball at his feet. He shouldn't have been in the starting XI in a game we needed 11 players willing to put a defensive shift in, and we really needed to be in the game at HT in. Stokes is already one luxury in that respect, arguably. Fine to bring him on at HT or on the hour, especially when Celtc we starting to tire, but don't start with him. That should have been the game plan anyway given their tiredness, and is one reason Boyle did so well. he wouldn't have done as well if he'd started IMO. I honestly think if we were one down at HT or on the hour yesterday we'd have gone through.

He's worth persevering with though and if we do I suspect he'll score an wonder goal or two for us by the end of the season. We just have to be realistic about what he brings to the table though. There's a reason he's with us on loan. Play him in the right games, at the right times and he will do good things for us.

That is just about how I see it.
HAve to admit thought before kick off his inclusion in the starting team against Celtic was an error and despite the odd nice touches really was not the man for the job.

DTS
22-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Thought he was good yesterday, good at St Johnstone and excellent against Motherwell. As far as I can remember they might be his only starts? He tends to fade in games he starts but that will get better the more he plays. For me him and Boyle should start every game. Booked pace and barkers ability to skip past a player are huge threats. I also think barker has the potential to play in the role behind the strikers he looked effective when he came on against Aberdeen going through the middle

hibs#1
22-10-2017, 12:27 PM
I like him I think he has a lot of potential.he certainly played better than Patrick Roberts yesterday considering how much higher rated Roberts is compared to Barker.

theonlywayisup
24-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Well played Brandon. The boy is getting better each game.

RoYO!
24-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Knocks it by folk for fun. Fitness is getting there. Looking forward to seeing more of him and him grow and grow in confidence. Not the finished article but gave them a torrid time frequently.

theonlywayisup
24-10-2017, 10:21 PM
From his Twitter account:

That win is for the fans! Outstanding from the first whistle, what a game and what a performance from the boys!!! Love ittttt

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandonBarker96/status/922936654104596481

supermcginn
24-10-2017, 10:25 PM
The lad has more natural talent than most we have had last 15 years, absolute baller

Hibee Mac
24-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Nice to see him on the ball more, it's finally starting to click for him.

Still think he needs to make better runs and improve his movement in behind/decision making however he has a lot of raw talent and a dangerous player to have on the park.

SteveHFC
24-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Been our best player for the last 2 games.

Vault Boy
24-10-2017, 11:23 PM
BALLER. I was very excited when he signed - I'm even more excited now he's started to show his class. Any chance of him signing on a permanent deal Hibs?

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-10-2017, 11:26 PM
What a turn of pace on the laddie. Outstanding at times

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Been our best player for the last 2 games.He has been good but he isn't even close to McGeouchs level. He is playing the best football of his life.

Shrekko
24-10-2017, 11:51 PM
I like him but there is times he actually looks scared to run at players/ take them on. Boyle was much more effective when he came on.
I know this was before the derby but pretty amazed anyone could say that. Being a winger is hard these days as they get doubled up on but this boy has magic feet and a stunning turn of pace. I've never seen a Hibs winger look less scared to take someone on- his 90 yard run against Celtic was stunning.

We're a tough crowd - lots of nit picking. I'd rather just admire his attacking flair.

hibees 7062
24-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Hertz knocked him back before he came to us :greengrin

Hermit Crab
25-10-2017, 12:31 AM
BALLER. I was very excited when he signed - I'm even more excited now he's started to show his class. Any chance of him signing on a permanent deal Hibs?

I would have to say no chance, on 10k week at city who have high hopes for him.

Brightside
25-10-2017, 12:33 AM
No chance we can sign him....but on another point if people thing Walker is a £1m player i assume we get £2m for Boyle? Walker is done

Johnny_Leith
25-10-2017, 01:37 AM
No chance we can sign him....but on another point if people thing Walker is a £1m player i assume we get £2m for Boyle? Walker is done

I thought this also, he's really regressed and looks like he's chucked it mentally.

I thought both our wingers were superb, Barker is going to be a player for us now he's had a bit of bedding in time.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2017, 09:34 AM
I would have to say no chance, on 10k week at city who have high hopes for him.

He’s 21 now, chances of making at City now are going to be limited, but he’s going to have to make a choice soon, money or his career
I really enjoyed watching him last night, particularly 1st half

Diclonius
25-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Barker and Boyle are like playing with two Ivan Sproules.

Excellent pace and ability, but decision making isn't fantastic. They're both young, though, and still great players. It's so great to see us actually playing with pace for once.

Hermit Crab
25-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Barker and Boyle are like playing with two Ivan Sproules.

Excellent pace and ability, but decision making isn't fantastic. They're both young, though, and still great players. It's so great to see us actually playing with pace for once.

Barker is 10x the player Boyle is.

Blaster
25-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Potentially but at the moment Boyle has more assists and goals this season

Hibee87
25-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Hertz knocked him back before he came to us :greengrin

Yes, I said this before. I am not sure at which stage in the window he was 'offered' but Barker was offered to Hearts at some point in the last window and they didnt even want to take a look at him I believe.

Dashing Bob S
25-10-2017, 12:00 PM
He’s 21 now, chances of making at City now are going to be limited, but he’s going to have to make a choice soon, money or his career

He’ll be at Hibs next season on a four year contract. At least some drunk in the Four In Hand slurred that it my ear. Or it might have been ‘get them in you tight bar steward.’ Not sure.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Bollocks

IWasThere2016
25-10-2017, 12:03 PM

He won't make it at City .. Patrick Roberts couldn't either.

I like him but MCFC is a completely different level now...

He played well last night

supermcginn
25-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Agreed, so much more skill and ability than Boyle.

Spike Mandela
25-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Don’t agree. Both plsyers improving all the time.

I’m just grateful we have both at the same time. Great trickery, great pace and a brilliant outball for the defence when under pressure.

Unseen work
25-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Very good player however wants to do too much sometimes or stop the ball dead when he receives every pass.

Mcginn put one on a plate for him last night and instead of hitting it first time he took a touch which allowed the hearts defence to settle and get back in position.

He will better the more he plays and confidence he gains.

Michael
25-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Agreed, so much more skill and ability than Boyle.

They're both good, but for me Boyle is definitely better at this moment. Barker has great potential, but needs to be more consistent.

Hermit Crab
25-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Bollocks

Nah its not bollocks Billy, if Boyle was that good he wouldn't be at Hibs. Barker is head and shoulders better than Boyle. Much quicker, skilful and can pass the ball.

bigwheel
25-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Nah its not bollocks Billy, if Boyle was that good he wouldn't be at Hibs. Barker is head and shoulders better than Boyle. Much quicker, skilful and can pass the ball.

that's not true is it really....Barker has had a few good recent games. And his speed and dribbling skills are causing opponents problems. He has a lot of attributes to have a good career - but it is very early days. Boyle is currently a more mature player. Timing his contributions better, and is equally very difficult to play against. Time will tell to see if Barker matures and develops into a much better player than Boyle. Currently I would say Boyle is the more advanced player,. due to his game time experience....

Great to have both of them - I can't recall when we last had two fast, effective wingers in our first team...

Heisenberg
25-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Delighted that he played well last night and got an assist. Him and Boyle out wide make us a very dangerous team going forward.

Smartie
25-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Barker is probably better, and there is a reason he's on the books at Man City, but he's not 10x better.

Boyle's funny - he seems to be permanently underestimated, under appreciated and overlooked. He is a very dangerous player indeed and has improved during his time with us.

You never really imagine a big club coming in for him, other players seem to get the plaudits. But he keeps on quietly contributing - contributing massively.

I don't think Barker will make it at Man City, but he will play regularly at a high level, higher than ours. He'll be better off for his time with Hibs though, which means that we might get impressive young Man City players on loan again in future, which can only be a good thing.

Hermit Crab
25-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Barker is probably better, and there is a reason he's on the books at Man City, but he's not 10x better.

Boyle's funny - he seems to be permanently underestimated, under appreciated and overlooked. He is a very dangerous player indeed and has improved during his time with us.

You never really imagine a big club coming in for him, other players seem to get the plaudits. But he keeps on quietly contributing - contributing massively.

I don't think Barker will make it at Man City, but he will play regularly at a high level, higher than ours. He'll be better off for his time with Hibs though, which means that we might get impressive young Man City players on loan again in future, which can only be a good thing.

This, I watch City fairly regular, I travel to home and away games when I can and theres no way Barker will get in ahead of Sane, Jesus or Sterling etc. If we could afford him I'd take him in a minute. Unfortunately he's way out our price range unless of course he specifically expresses a move to us (extremely unlikely)

I'm fairly certain that had he not been on loan to us he would have lined up v Wolves last night in the league cup match.

The_Sauz
25-10-2017, 02:53 PM
I don't know why people are comparing Boyle and Barker, when the two are different types of players! Boyle is a centre forward to trade, where as Barker is a natural winger :agree: Boyle only started playing as a winger when he was at Dundee and that continued when he signed for Hibs. If you look back at Boyles goals for Hibs, most of them have been when he has been playing through the middle.

patlowe
25-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Barker was outstanding on the ball, Hearts were terrified of his pace and trickery. He also seems twice as fit now he's got a few games under his belt and the benefits of that were spectacular last night.

My only caveat is he looks like he has a lot to learn when it comes to helping the team out positionally and defensively. Hanlon's foul at the edge of the box stemmed from Barker not bothering to track the Jambo full back and leaving Lewis exposed. He also pulled out of a few challenges or gave away a silly foul in a dangerous position at times.

Like all mavericks, he's so exciting in an attacking sense that you can forgive the odd lapse, but I think these are the parts of his game he will need to work on to move up to the next level.

MWHIBBIES
25-10-2017, 03:31 PM
When Barker has a shot that is even close to the target I'll believe he is better than Boyle. Just because he is on loan from Man City, a club I doubt he'll ever play a proper game for, doesn't mean he ****s gold. He is very raw and while he played well last night he hasn't done a whole lot so far.

greenlex
25-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Boyle never shirks a tackle.

JimBHibees
25-10-2017, 04:01 PM
I don't know why people are comparing Boyle and Barker, when the two are different types of players! Boyle is a centre forward to trade, where as Barker is a natural winger :agree: Boyle only started playing as a winger when he was at Dundee and that continued when he signed for Hibs. If you look back at Boyles goals for Hibs, most of them have been when he has been playing through the middle.

Yes totally different players Barker is nowhere near 2 times never mind ten times Boyle who is a cracking player for Hibs. Great to have 2 fast and direct wingers in the team that is for sure.

Hibee Mac
25-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Barker was outstanding on the ball, Hearts were terrified of his pace and trickery. He also seems twice as fit now he's got a few games under his belt and the benefits of that were spectacular last night.

My only caveat is he looks like he has a lot to learn when it comes to helping the team out positionally and defensively. Hanlon's foul at the edge of the box stemmed from Barker not bothering to track the Jambo full back and leaving Lewis exposed. He also pulled out of a few challenges or gave away a silly foul in a dangerous position at times.

Like all mavericks, he's so exciting in an attacking sense that you can forgive the odd lapse, but I think these are the parts of his game he will need to work on to move up to the next level.

Agree 100%

Haymaker
25-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Barker is building his experience and his game is improving each time. He'll be some player if he keeps going but let's remember he's not played anywhere near as much 1st team football as Boyle.

Hibee Mac
25-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Just watched this highlights back and I think the chances for both team really sum this guy up at the minute.

Our 3 best chances all involved him.

However heart's 3 best chances all came to pass because he failed to track his man, really must tighten up defensively considering he was at fault for the first against Celtic too.

ekhibee
25-10-2017, 04:31 PM
When Barker has a shot that is even close to the target I'll believe he is better than Boyle. Just because he is on loan from Man City, a club I doubt he'll ever play a proper game for, doesn't mean he ****s gold. He is very raw and while he played well last night he hasn't done a whole lot so far.What a load of nonsense. He didn't just play well last night but if you choose to ignore his ability that's up to you. He will be a better player than Boyle although I like both of them.

LaMotta
25-10-2017, 04:32 PM
When Barker has a shot that is even close to the target I'll believe he is better than Boyle. Just because he is on loan from Man City, a club I doubt he'll ever play a proper game for, doesn't mean he ****s gold. He is very raw and while he played well last night he hasn't done a whole lot so far.

This :agree:.

MWHIBBIES
25-10-2017, 04:36 PM
What a load of nonsense. He didn't just play well last night but if you choose to ignore his ability that's up to you. He will be a better player than Boyle although I like both of them.I'm not ignoring anything, that is my opinion based on seeing every game he has played for us so far.

He has potential but he wouldn't be on loan to Hibs at the age of 21 if he was THAT special. When he starts scoring goals and providing more assists/dangerous crosses I'll be pleased. He also never runs in behind, ever. He is quite one dimensional.

Famous Fiver
25-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Reminded me of Arthur Duncan in his pomp.

Looked at one stage he would be at Ocean Terminal before he slowed down!!

Well played my bonny boy!!

SirDavidsNapper
25-10-2017, 05:48 PM
He was immense last night. That Hearts boy will be having nightmares for a while.

Hibby Bairn
25-10-2017, 05:51 PM

I give you Ryan McGivern as a case in point.

WhileTheChief..
25-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Refreshing to have a genuine winger terrorising the opposition with speed and skill.

Stuff defending or tracking back, we’re allowed to have a couple of players left to create things!

If he plays like that every game until the need of the season we’re in for a treat.

IGRIGI
25-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Watched some highlights and I love how much he was loving the goal and the win at the end, what a difference to the previous loanees we've had from down south.

MyJo
25-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Barker is much more skillful with the ball at his feet taking it past players himself and getting the ball into the box. Boyle is great at running onto balls played in behind the defence and outpacing the fullbacks to either hit the bye-line or draw a foul.

Barker seems to conserve his energy more, waiting until he is on the ball then using his skill and pace in bursts, Boyles style is non-stop running, chasing balls & pressuring defenders.

Different types of player and on footballing ability Barker is probably better but Boyle is so effective at what he does and so freaking fast that he is impossible to play against when he is on form.

Both lack a bit of composure and decision making when it comes to playing the final ball or taking a shot when needed but that's why they are playing at the level they are, we have to take the rough with the smooth but what a joy it is to have proper wingers in the team again :agree:

hibsdaft
25-10-2017, 10:35 PM
I'm not ignoring anything, that is my opinion based on seeing every game he has played for us so far.

He has potential but he wouldn't be on loan to Hibs at the age of 21 if he was THAT special. When he starts scoring goals and providing more assists/dangerous crosses I'll be pleased. He also never runs in behind, ever. He is quite one dimensional.

Your not alone. I was going to keep schtum to avoid being a party pooper but I'm quite surprised by the adulation he's recieved today. He was virtually anonymous for a whole half yesterday and his workrate and concentration leave a lot to be desired. Lots of potential though. He's great with the ball at his feet.

Fritz
25-10-2017, 10:37 PM

You've spouted some sh@#e on here over the years but that surely tops it! "10x"...?!

Hermit Crab
25-10-2017, 11:06 PM
You've spouted some sh@#e on here over the years but that surely tops it! "10x"...?!

Aye ok then.... :rolleyes:

Shrekko
26-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Refreshing to have a genuine winger terrorising the opposition with speed and skill.

Stuff defending or tracking back, we’re allowed to have a couple of players left to create things!

If he plays like that every game until the need of the season we’re in for a treat.

Exactly.

Are we really that hyper critical these days that we complain about an out and out winger not being good in the tackle? We've bemoaned our lack of pace for years and now we have 2 guys capable of terrorising SPL defences and we're still picking holes. If Boyle and Barker spend all this time the experts think they need working on their defensive games they'll never get forward! What happened to us loving players who can get you off your seat?

Barker looks a terrific young player- hopefully some of our fans don't put him off doing what he does well.

patlowe
26-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Exactly.

Are we really that hyper critical these days that we complain about an out and out winger not being good in the tackle? We've bemoaned our lack of pace for years and now we have 2 guys capable of terrorising SPL defences and we're still picking holes. If Boyle and Barker spend all this time the experts think they need working on their defensive games they'll never get forward! What happened to us loving players who can get you off your seat?

Barker looks a terrific young player- hopefully some of our fans don't put him off doing what he does well.

It's not necessarily tackling, if Hearts had scored or got a pen when he didn't bother tracking the full back, the whole result would have been in jeopardy. It's not about him spending the game defending either, it's just covering across and digging in when needed, especially in a derby. He also lost his man in the semi at a crucial point so I'm sure someone will be having a word in his ear.

Not really wanting to be hyper-critical, his attacking play was outstanding and having him and Boyle on the park at the same time was great and terrified the jambos. That doesn't mean we should stop looking for improvements in any area we can though.

Nicho87
26-10-2017, 02:41 PM
I have criticised him but he is starting to look dangerous. Still believe he **** a 50-50 and wiser managers will cotton on to his sometimes lack of tracking a full back.

pacoluna
26-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Boyles final product isn't exactly anything to rave about , in fact its pretty poor and something he has to improve on.

CRAZYHIBBY
26-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Boyles final product isn't exactly anything to rave about , in fact its pretty poor and something he has to improve on.

Aye but boyles alright....hibs legends cant do wrong

Captain Trips
27-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Brandon is exactly what a loan should be, somebody keen to play and to compliment the team.

Over last few years before Stubbs previous managers were getting in 4/5 loans or guys on very short deals and using them as key players. That was wrong and it cost us.

Brandon might well end up being a key player but he highlights everything that is right about our recruitment now.

canuckhibee
27-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Was beginning to wonder what all the hype was surrounding this young player, however, after Tuesday night I now get it. Obviously very talented but can he do it consistently. Let's hope so.

keep the faith
28-10-2017, 09:02 AM

Ooops!

keep the faith
28-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Yep. Boyle is a cracking player. His attitude to improving is superb and I hope he is with is for many years to come.

Hibee Mac
28-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Must admit, even though I have my reservations about this lad's defensive lapses Im looking forward to seeing what he can do against Motherwell.

I see what some fans are saying about having a player that makes you get out your seat whenever he has the ball.

Stuart93
28-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Brilliant player to have running at defences especially when they're tired! Wish his shooting was just that bit better...cracking pass to si murray on Tuesday too...what a difference having two proper wingers on each side

heretoday
28-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Brilliant player to have running at defences especially when they're tired! Wish his shooting was just that bit better...cracking pass to si murray on Tuesday too...what a difference having two proper wingers on each side

We have to have two wingers all the time. It's the only way.

Mikey09
29-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Nothing wrong with comparing players in a lighthearted way. If anyone's half interested in my tuppence worth then all I'll say is Barker has been coached and learned way more than Boyle. And remember this kids only 19!!!! Boyle has adapted fantastically to his position as he was predominantly a striker. I think he's a wee bit predictable but working with Barker he will pick up wee things a natural winger does. We're lucky to have both!

Lancs Harp
29-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Nothing wrong with comparing players in a lighthearted way. If anyone's half interested in my tuppence worth then all I'll say is Barker has been coached and learned way more than Boyle. And remember this kids only 19!!!! Boyle has adapted fantastically to his position as he was predominantly a striker. I think he's a wee bit predictable but working with Barker he will pick up wee things a natural winger does. We're lucky to have both!

Brandon has just turned 21 but you make a valid point.

Mikey09
30-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Brandon has just turned 21 but you make a valid point.

Apologies. Thought he was 19. :aok:

NZ Green
30-10-2017, 05:58 AM
For me, he's one of those players that I really enjoy watching when he gets the ball. I would really like to see him score to boost his confidence, he seems to just take that extra touch or tries to take on an extra player when he should just have a crack at it.
I said from the beginning he needs to start more games, recently he has and I think he's making an impact, hopefully he just continues to improve.

greenlex
30-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Brandon had an effort on Saturday. It’s getting closer to Boyles efforts on goal. Well done son.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2017, 04:43 PM
We've spent years wanting pace out wide, we have it now and our full backs can help them out but first and foremost they can defend.

With wingers, they are always going to lose the ball more than they will deliver the perfect ball, but they will pin their full backs back, and stop them going forward as much as they'd want.

We have two very good attacking options in Barker and Boyle, most teams in our league would like them in their side.

theonlywayisup
04-11-2017, 11:25 AM
“The derby was class,” beamed Barker. “From minute one you didn’t need any motivation and when the goal went in it was such a good feeling. In my opinion 1-0 flattered them, I thought we dominated them although there were times when they could have easily scored because they are a good team. “It was just a fantastic experience and the song at the end [Sunshine on Leith] was so touching to me given it was my first time and my family was there.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/brandon-barker-lennon-s-faith-has-brought-best-out-of-me-1-4604462

Good article about Brandon. Go on, Brandon, give us a goal.

theonlywayisup
01-02-2018, 06:36 AM
“The derby was class,” beamed Barker. “From minute one you didn’t need any motivation and when the goal went in it was such a good feeling. In my opinion 1-0 flattered them, I thought we dominated them although there were times when they could have easily scored because they are a good team. “It was just a fantastic experience and the song at the end [Sunshine on Leith] was so touching to me given it was my first time and my family was there.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/brandon-barker-lennon-s-faith-has-brought-best-out-of-me-1-4604462

Good article about Brandon. Go on, Brandon, give us a goal.

Well it was a long time in coming. You could see what it meant to him. I get the feeling he really enjoys it at Easter Road.

I'm still waiting for that "Brandon Barker" game. We almost had it against The Rangers at Easter Road. I wonder it is going to be this weekend.

greenlex
01-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Great finish. He was largely anonymous after it however.

Stevie Reid
01-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Great finish and a superb run in the first half where he almost created a goal - also game in field a lot to help out the midfield.

A good night's work. Delighted for him getting his first goal.

The_Horde
01-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Was quite obviously blowing out of his erse by about 60 minutes.

hibsbollah
01-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Was quite obviously blowing out of his erse by about 60 minutes.

He always seems to look like that. Like he's just slept in after a heavy session.

Not In The Know
01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Hes a young lad he scored and spent the first hour running faster than most players on the pitch. He then slowed down a bit. But, he is improving.

Not to mention getting kicked or flattened at any opportunity and given no protection from the worst (and thats saying something) ref in the country.

Well done Brandon. Unfortunaly due to the mental English market, this time next year he will be on 20-30 grand a week at some team like Burnley or QPR. It would be amazing if we could keep him.

Im glad we have him at the moment.