PDA

View Full Version : Manager Longevity

Jamesie
07-09-2017, 01:33 PM
It strikes me that if Lennon sees out his three year deal he'll be our longest serving manager since Alex Miller!

Some interesting stats on this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

Curious that Miller (5th longest reigning) managed us for one game less than Eddie Turnbull (4th longest) - probably just complete coincidence but I wonder if Dougie Cromb was aware of that when he sacked him in 1996!

NAE NOOKIE
08-09-2017, 07:55 AM
The trouble with managers these days is that if they fail to deliver in half a season they get sacked and if they have one good season they are poached by if not bigger then at least richer clubs. NL may have signed a 3 year contract with us but its worth nothing in reality and that goes for pretty well any contract in football.

If Neil Lennon is still at Hibs 3 years from now I'll be amazed ...... that's not a dig at him or Hibs its just the reality of modern football.

offshorehibby
08-09-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm not saying he'll be here the full 3 years but i get the feeling he'll be here a while. He's started something and i think he'd lke to take it as far as he can. I don't think he'd jump ship at the first decent offer that comes in.

SlickShoes
08-09-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm not saying he'll be here the full 3 years but i get the feeling he'll be here a while. He's started something and i think he'd lke to take it as far as he can. I don't think he'd jump ship at the first decent offer that comes in.

Yeah, he is in a unique scenario that he has already managed Celtc and will never manage Rangers so there is really no other team in Scotland worth leaving Hibs for from a career point of view.

If an upper tier championship team comes in for him then he will probably leave but I can't see him wanting to slog it out at the bottom of that league again like he did with Bolton.

I'd also like to think that if he has a bad half season we give him time to turn it around, the amount of managers we went through previously shows that changing when things are going bad isn't always the best option.

houstonhibbee
08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Yeah, he is in a unique scenario that he has already managed Celtc and will never manage Rangers so there is really no other team in Scotland worth leaving Hibs for from a career point of view.

If an upper tier championship team comes in for him then he will probably leave but I can't see him wanting to slog it out at the bottom of that league again like he did with Bolton.

I'd also like to think that if he has a bad half season we give him time to turn it around, the amount of managers we went through previously shows that changing when things are going bad isn't always the best option.
Totally agree
we need to stick with this guy even if the going gets tough
there is no one better for us out there

hibee92
08-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Totally agree
we need to stick with this guy even if the going gets tough
there is no one better for us out there

Massively important. It won't all be rosy, need to stand by him when it isn't.

MyJo
08-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Hibs suit Lennon at the moment both professionally and personally from what he has said in his interviews.

Unless Celtic come back in for him or a strong English club take an interest in the future i don't see him itching to leave

Jamesie
08-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Does he not also have a child or children of school age? I can't see him wanting to move himself or himself and family to England if that is the case. As you say, he has reached the heights at Celtic and I expect is fairly financially secure irrespective of what will be a decent salary at Hibs so I think personal contentment probably is of more value to NL at this stage in his career. My only concern would be if Rodgers left Celtic - I would imagine NL would immediately be linked with a move back, but having left the Glasgow goldfish bowl I hope he wouldn't be tempted back into it.