PDA

View Full Version : John Motson ("Motty")

emerald green
06-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Legendary commentator John Motson will call time on his BBC career, aged 72, at the end of this season after 50 years.

He's done 29 FA Cup finals, 10 World Cups, and 10 Euros in a long and illustrious career.

I grew up listening to some of Motty's brilliant match commentaries. He had a tremendous in-depth knowledge of the game of football.

lord bunberry
06-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Legendary commentator John Motson will call time on his BBC career, aged 72, at the end of this season after 50 years.

He's done 29 FA Cup finals, 10 World Cups, and 10 Euros in a long and illustrious career.

I grew up listening to some of Motty's brilliant match commentaries. He had a tremendous in-depth knowledge of the game of football.
Has he not retired before?

cleanyman
06-09-2017, 12:32 PM
He's just leaving the BBC. Guy has retired before.

Why even announce it...just depart quietly.

Bighoose
06-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Good luck to him in his retirement.

However, he was one of the worst for shoe-horning "1966" into every England game he was commentating on.

emerald green
06-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Has he not retired before?

According to his Wiki, Motson announced his retirement from live TV commentary in 2008. Euro 2008 final was his last live TV broadcast.

He has continued since then to cover games for Match of the Day highlights, and appear on BBC Radio 5 Live as well as commentating on CBeebies Footy Pups! :greengrin

andybev1
06-09-2017, 12:41 PM
One of the reasons Scottish fans really want England to get beat (apart from the last game) with over the top expectations and bias, mentioning English football every chance he gets even when there is not one English man or team on the pitch - good riddance.

jacomo
06-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Good luck to him in his retirement.

However, he was one of the worst for shoe-horning "1966" into every England game he was commentating on.

Should have finished 2-2 (2 England goals were dodgy) followed by penalties - which Germany would have won, of course.

Galahibby
06-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Thought he was deid! [emoji15]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2017, 01:56 PM
One of the reasons Scottish fans really want England to get beat (apart from the last game) with over the top expectations and bias, mentioning English football every chance he gets even when there is not one English man or team on the pitch - good riddance.

Try and come up with an original excuse!

steelendhibs
06-09-2017, 01:59 PM
One bit of commentary gold from him was when Germany equalised against England in the EURO 96 semi final. Stefan Kuntz was the player who scored, and he said....."and Germany have equalised, Kuntz"

Salt N Sauzee
06-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Load of nonsense :hilarious

Joe6-2
06-09-2017, 02:36 PM
try and come up with an original excuse!

fact!

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-09-2017, 03:16 PM
When you hear guys like Andy Wa*ker and the like compared to Mottson, they really are a different species.

ACLeith
06-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Should have finished 2-2 (2 England goals were dodgy) followed by penalties - which Germany would have won, of course.

Think it was 3 dodgy ones! So not even extra time needed!

And the fixtures fiddled so they played every game at Wembley.

Not that I'm bitter in any way, when I was a naive kid back then I was cheering them on - just as I was on Monday 👍

ancient hibee
06-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Second German goal was from a non existent free kick.England were by far the better team.

--------
06-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Not to mention the dodgy quarter-finals (an English referee for West Germany-Uruguay and a West German referee for England-Argentina - guess which two teams had a man sent off) and the draw which was made without witnesses except for representatives of the English FA, the West German DFB, and two African nations neither of which had qualified. The South American Associations had been supposed to be there, but for some reason the draw took place before they got there.

AND the idiots lost the trophy - which was allegedly 'found' by some bloke's fox-terrier about a fortnight after it was stolen - just about enough time for a replica to be made.

Thank goodness it was Ken Wolstenholme commentating at the final - Motty would have spontaneously exploded.

A biassed, inaccurate, over-excitable, irritating man who in my household at least will not be missed.

(I really want a device on the telly to silence all commentary and just leave me the game and the crowd noise etc.)

O'Rourke3
06-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Barrie Davies and David Coleman were better commentators imo. Since the 1990's the once very good Mottie(heh heh) has been a parody of himself. Can't listen to him any more because every cliche in the book is rattled out and detail often missed. How on earth did Rooney miss that one? When the guys at the furthest point in the stadium can see the keeper made a save...

Deansy
06-09-2017, 04:04 PM

With you on this !. The worst of the ultra-biased English commentators - the constant use of 'We', 'Us', 'The whole country' when referring to England-only was guaranteed to raise the blood-pressure - making it worse is that he was working for BBC who made no attempt to curb his behaviour or he might've realised sooner that not 'everyone at home is behind this team' !. Thank God he's gone but they have replacements (Lawrenson - Aaargh !! - could be Motson's son !!) who are equally as bad !

lyonhibs
06-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Has been getting tiresome recently but still a BBC Icon.

Especially like his take on deflections.

"...and it looks like it's maybe taken a slight deflection there"

Ball has actually changed flight path by 45 degrees having smacked someone in the puss or similar

Pete
06-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Some people need to get on the Murphy's.

It's not bitter. 🍺

Baader
06-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Barrie Davies and David Coleman were better commentators imo. Since the 1990's the once very good Mottie(heh heh) has been a parody of himself. Can't listen to him any more because every cliche in the book is rattled out and detail often missed. How on earth did Rooney miss that one? When the guys at the furthest point in the stadium can see the keeper made a save...

Spot on. He has been a parody for some time now and sounds like he's going through the motions, with every tired cliché rolled out. Heard him proclaim "it's a goal" not that long ago. Despite the fact I can see that, you really need to be doing a bit better than that.

Barry Davies in my opinion was the best there's ever been. Could listen to him commentating on World Cup matches forever...

HiBremian
06-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Has anyone got any evidence of his "in-depth knowledge of the game of football" outside England? Just asking, like.:cb

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2017, 04:35 PM
fact!

Scottish folklore!

ACLeith
06-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Scottish folklore!

But better than English folklore 👍

Callyballybe
06-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Some people need to get on the Murphy's.

It's not bitter. 🍺

Exactly. Just say so long to the old 'yin if he has actually retired. No reason to go any further.

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 04:54 PM
So much rage at a harmless commentator. In comparison we get Liam McLeod the utter balloon.

truehibernian
06-09-2017, 05:21 PM
So much rage at a harmless commentator. In comparison we get Liam McLeod the utter balloon.

:agree::aok::top marks

SirDavidsNapper
06-09-2017, 05:27 PM

McLeods cup final commentary was superb

Pantah
06-09-2017, 05:36 PM
For a so called legend he was hopeless at pronunciation, especially foreign players. Olivier Giroud is Giroood, and Dimitri Payet was Pie ate. Last letter should be silent ya narse.

Hermit Crab
06-09-2017, 05:39 PM
For a so called legend he was hopeless at pronunciation, especially foreign players. Olivier Giroud is Giroood, and Dimitri Payet was Pie ate. Last letter should be silent ya narse.

:confused:

Is It On....
06-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Might be in a minority of one, but I really can't stand his commentary or the wee chuckles that are thrown in. I don't like "Lawro" either who is a whiner!!

lapsedhibee
06-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Might be in a minority of one, but I really can't stand his commentary or the wee chuckles that are thrown in. I don't like "Lawro" either who is a whiner!!

Nope. He's a dribbling idiot imo.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-09-2017, 06:25 PM
The epitome of biased English commentators, far too up his own jacksie to see or hear it.

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 06:32 PM
McLeods cup final commentary was superb

It wasn't really. Crocker Superb McLeod jizzes over Hearts and Huns. He seems to enjoy our losses in comparison to the tone of his voice when we win.

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 06:35 PM
The epitome of biased English commentators, far too up his own jacksie to see or hear it.

Biased for who? Maybe playing to the audience he's commentating to? He's English, he commentates on England games and English games. Do you want him to go hysterical when a team scores against them? Scottish commentators in fact all do the same when the country the are largely commentating on scores etc. There's no impartial commentators in international football apart from the English dude they had on sky when we played Ireland and wales instead of Crocker.

SirDavidsNapper
06-09-2017, 06:36 PM
It wasn't really. Crocker Superb McLeod jizzes over Hearts and Huns. He seems to enjoy our losses in comparison to the tone of his voice when we win.Crocker is the worst commentator out there in my opinion. Probably why Sky have punted him up here for years.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Crocker is the worst commentator out there in my opinion. Probably why Sky have punted him up here for years.

Each to their own I suppose. Crocker is the designated Scottish football commentator and the coverage he gives the cup final and the 6-2 match is iconic in my eyes. Henderson to deliver and it's latapy, twisting turning ohhhhh 6 of the new is amazing.

SirDavidsNapper
06-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Each to their own I suppose. Crocker is the designated Scottish football commentator and the coverage he gives the cup final and the 6-2 match is iconic in my eyes. Henderson to deliver and it's latapy, twisting turning ohhhhh 6 of the new is amazing.I just feel Crocker and Walker went OTT with pitch invasion. It's put me right off them.

Firestarter
06-09-2017, 06:50 PM
I just feel Crocker and Walker went OTT with pitch invasion. It's put me right off them.

Walker did. Forget the invasion, listen to the match commentary, sunshine on leith and the lifting the cup. Hair on neck every time.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Not when he has a book to promote (I'm guessing)

Viva_Palmeiras
06-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Yes didnt really have time for him and that fake wee laugh of his...

Colr
06-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Think it was 3 dodgy ones! So not even extra time needed!

And the fixtures fiddled so they played every game at Wembley.

Not that I'm bitter in any way, when I was a naive kid back then I was cheering them on - just as I was on Monday 👍

Ball didn't cross the line, game should have been stopped because of a pitch invasion and.....what was the third dodgy goal?

Sammy7nil
06-09-2017, 07:05 PM
With you on this !. The worst of the ultra-biased English commentators - the constant use of 'We', 'Us', 'The whole country' when referring to England-only was guaranteed to raise the blood-pressure - making it worse is that he was working for BBC who made no attempt to curb his behaviour or he might've realised sooner that not 'everyone at home is behind this team' !. Thank God he's gone but they have replacements (Lawrenson - Aaargh !! - could be Motson's son !!) who are equally as bad !

Yeah always thought for an Irishman he is a bit biased towards England :greengrin

superfurryhibby
06-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Motty was pish. Bombastic, over excitable and entirely predictable. Or was tha Elton Wellsby? Dark era for commentating, lol.

Is It On....
06-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Yeah always thought for an Irishman he is a bit biased towards England :greengrin

Ha ha ha. At least Andy Townsend tries when The Republic are playing. Used to quite like Jim Beglins commentary but Pat Never is the stand-out ex-player turned commentator / pundit.

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Motty is a legend in the world of football commentary, grew listening to his voice and loved his style.

Sammy7nil
06-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Motty is a legend in the world of football commentary, grew listening to his voice and loved his style.

Legend in English football I totally agree, maybe not world football though. I am guessing but I reckon more than 50% of football fans in Scotland would say the man is a bell-end before they would say legend. Whilst most people in Peru would say who? :wink::greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Legend in English football I totally agree, maybe not world football though. I am guessing but I reckon more than 50% of football fans in Scotland would say the man is a bell-end before they would say legend. Whilst most people in Peru would say who? :wink::greengrin

The bellends calling him a bellend are just bitter Scottish bellends ;-)

Sammy7nil
06-09-2017, 08:44 PM

What about the Peruvians:greengrin:wink:

emerald green
06-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Has anyone got any evidence of his "in-depth knowledge of the game of football" outside England? Just asking, like.:cb

How about him covering 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, and umpteen European club matches? His pre-match preparation for matches he covered was very thorough.

It's well known John Motson has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, not just in England. He has researched and narrated over 30 football videos and written four books.

Scouse Hibee
06-09-2017, 09:04 PM
What about the Peruvians:greengrin:wink:

They just say who? ;-)

emerald green
06-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Don't worry mate, you're not going to be asked to chip in for his retirement present. :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
06-09-2017, 09:07 PM
They just say who? ;-)

:greengrin

Big_Franck
06-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Agreed. I'm happy I'll never have to listen to this old english clown ever again.

monktonharp
06-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Biased for who? Maybe playing to the audience he's commentating to? He's English, he commentates on England games and English games. Do you want him to go hysterical when a team scores against them? Scottish commentators in fact all do the same when the country the are largely commentating on scores etc. There's no impartial commentators in international football apart from the English dude they had on sky when we played Ireland and wales instead of Crocker.I actually liked listening to motty. he comes out with some very English words, which I struggle to understand but for that, and his knowledge of the game I like him. he's the Arthur Montford o' ENGERLAND

andybev1
07-09-2017, 03:58 AM
Edit

andybev1
07-09-2017, 04:19 AM

I was going to try to reason but this comment stopped me. Another reason I want your team to get stuffed.

lyonhibs
07-09-2017, 05:01 AM
I was going to try to reason but this comment stopped me. Another reason I want your team to get stuffed.

I think you might be taking this internet message board thing a bit too seriously

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2017, 06:07 AM

No problem, always happy to oblige.

--------
07-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Motty was pish. Bombastic, over excitable and entirely predictable. Or was tha Elton Wellsby? Dark era for commentating, lol.

I've never believed anyone would call their child Elton Wellsby. Was he real? How did he survive school? He should have been a character in 'Last of the Summer Wine' - the village mangold-wurzel impersonator, for example. "Ee, Elton, lad - how's tha carrot 'anging'? Hastha seen Motty, Elton? 'E's loose again with the night-soil sprayer an' 'appen 'e's 'eadin for Madge Sidebottom's washin-line."

Motson was a fan with a mike - which always gets right up the noses of fans of other teams. The 'how long till he mentions 1966' thing was incidental; THAT screaming Lanky voice yelling utter imbecilities in our ears for the whole 90 minutes - or 120 if we were really unlucky - was sheer rotten purgatory. Can anyone remember him ever passing a sensible or relevant observation on a game?

'Course the English love him - he's your lovable English bloke - first cousin, uncle and brother-in-law all at the same time to your lovable English village idiot. Or he IS the village idiot of idiots, the idiot who in his own person typifies the entire steaming manure heap of English village idiots ...

Actually, who the stuff cares? Never watch England anyway. :greengrin

emerald green
07-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Biased for who? Maybe playing to the audience he's commentating to? He's English, he commentates on England games and English games. Do you want him to go hysterical when a team scores against them? Scottish commentators in fact all do the same when the country they are largely commentating on scores etc. There's no impartial commentators in international football

This is very true. The late much missed Arthur Montford was a classic case in point when commentating on Scotland matches. "It's a disaster for Scotland" cried Arthur for example.

We've all listened to South American (Argentina, Brazil etc) commentators screaming hysterically when their country scores a goal. Just listen to Spanish or French commentators.

andybev1
07-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I think you might be taking this internet message board thing a bit too seriously

LOL, probably. Just don't like when ppl lower the discussion to insults.

surreyhibbie
07-09-2017, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=emerald green;5162611]This is very true. The late much missed Arthur Montford was a classic case in point when commentating on Scotland matches. "It's a disaster for Scotland" cried Arthur for example.

QUOTE]

Ah, Arthur Montford...

Still cant stop myself from saying "Disaster for Scotland" every time we lose a goal.

He used to say it a lot, if I recall...:wink:

--------
07-09-2017, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=emerald green;5162611]This is very true. The late much missed Arthur Montford was a classic case in point when commentating on Scotland matches. "It's a disaster for Scotland" cried Arthur for example.

QUOTE]

Ah, Arthur Montford...

Still cant stop myself from saying "Disaster for Scotland" every time we lose a goal.

You would really rather have Darke and Provan?

--------
07-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Biased for who? Maybe playing to the audience he's commentating to? He's English, he commentates on England games and English games. Do you want him to go hysterical when a team scores against them? Scottish commentators in fact all do the same when the country the are largely commentating on scores etc. There's no impartial commentators in international football apart from the English dude they had on sky when we played Ireland and wales instead of Crocker.

Posting seriously, I would agree.

I've watched football for more than 50 years now. Do I really need someone telling me what I'm seeing?

Answer - no. Give me a button I can press to kill the commentary and then I can watch in peace.

surreyhibbie
07-09-2017, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=surreyhibbie;5162658]

You would really rather have Darke and Provan?

would rather have no commentary at all.

Diclonius
07-09-2017, 12:19 PM
The year this thread was created is 2017, which if you subtract 50 gives you 1967 which is in fact the year after England won the World Cup in 1966! ROONEY!

superfurryhibby
07-09-2017, 12:32 PM

I've watched football for more than 50 years now. Do I really need someone telling me what I'm seeing?

Answer - no. Give me a button I can press to kill the commentary and then I can watch in peace.

It would be interesting to just listen to the crowd and have no commentary at all. The other option is to turn the volume down, but that doesn't work for me.

CockneyRebel
07-09-2017, 01:00 PM
I've never believed anyone would call their child Elton Wellsby. Was he real? How did he survive school? He should have been a character in 'Last of the Summer Wine' - the village mangold-wurzel impersonator, for example. "Ee, Elton, lad - how's tha carrot 'anging'? Hastha seen Motty, Elton? 'E's loose again with the night-soil sprayer an' 'appen 'e's 'eadin for Madge Sidebottom's washin-line."

Motson was a fan with a mike - which always gets right up the noses of fans of other teams. The 'how long till he mentions 1966' thing was incidental; THAT screaming Lanky voice yelling utter imbecilities in our ears for the whole 90 minutes - or 120 if we were really unlucky - was sheer rotten purgatory. Can anyone remember him ever passing a sensible or relevant observation on a game?

'Course the English love him - he's your lovable English bloke - first cousin, uncle and brother-in-law all at the same time to your lovable English village idiot. Or he IS the village idiot of idiots, the idiot who in his own person typifies the entire steaming manure heap of English village idiots ...

Actually, who the stuff cares? Never watch England anyway. :greengrin

Course, if Scotland had won a world cup you would never ever mention it would you? How many over-hyping English headlines have been mirrored in Scottish papers over the years? How good (or unbiased )are your commentators? How many times has Archie Gemmill's goal been shown? I could go on but what's the point - Scotland don't have any village idiots do they, you are all perfect. Yeah.

heretoday
07-09-2017, 01:11 PM
I remember when he started commentating!

Didn't like him then and I still don't. Not a patch on Coleman or Brian Moore.

CockneyRebel
07-09-2017, 01:23 PM
I remember when he started commentating!

Didn't like him then and I still don't. Not a patch on Coleman or Brian Moore.

Preferred Brian Moore as well. Coleman was ok but a bit too "proper" for me.

Lancs Harp
07-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Preferred Brian Moore as well. Coleman was ok but a bit too "proper" for me.

David Coleman was my favourite back in the day. No nonsense, kept it simple just told us who had the ball and the score. Jones, Clark, 1-0. Classic.

Thecat23
07-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Can we give them Rob McLean?

Sammy7nil
07-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Course, if Scotland had won a world cup you would never ever mention it would you? How many over-hyping English headlines have been mirrored in Scottish papers over the years? How good (or unbiased )are your commentators? How many times has Archie Gemmill's goal been shown? I could go on but what's the point - Scotland don't have any village idiots do they, you are all perfect. Yeah.

The issue is he works for the BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION not the English BBC. It is biased enough with what they show without some guy ramming 66 and all that down your throat. Just commentate on they game Motty

Hibernia&Alba
07-09-2017, 02:38 PM
As a kid, I always preferred Barry Davies' commentary. His analysis always added something valuable, unlike Motson, who talks far too much, IMO. Clive Tyledsley reminds me of Motson in his style.

CockneyRebel
07-09-2017, 05:17 PM
The issue is he works for the BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION not the English BBC. It is biased enough with what they show without some guy ramming 66 and all that down your throat. Just commentate on they game Motty

But no other BRiTISH team has won it since so there's no-one else to mention. Switch him for Archie Mac and tell me the same wouldn't happen if Scotland had won it - then come back here and greet. Jesus H .

Sammy7nil
07-09-2017, 05:27 PM
But no other BRiTISH team has won it since so there's no-one else to mention. Switch him for Archie Mac and tell me the same wouldn't happen if Scotland had won it - then come back here and greet. Jesus H .

The point is Archie would be speaking to a Scottish audience Motty is speaking to the UK. Archie and his like would NEVER get to broadcast nationwide.

P. S. And if he did the English would want subtitles :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2017, 06:22 PM
LOL, probably. Just don't like when ppl lower the discussion to insults.

There was no insult intended mate, if you read the thread you will see it was just a laugh in relation to what another poster had called Motson.

Firestarter
07-09-2017, 06:31 PM

I'm sure I've watched the final highlights fan sound only and also the game at the shelter where Leigh scores the free kick. Surely in time there must be a way to turn Liam McLeod off the BBC, keep Crocker and mute Walker and Provan.

Firestarter
07-09-2017, 06:34 PM
The point is Archie would be speaking to a Scottish audience Motty is speaking to the UK. Archie and his like would NEVER get to broadcast nationwide.

P. S. And if he did the English would want subtitles :greengrin

They are speaking to the majority of the audience. See Wales v England at the Euros as another example.

CropleyWasGod
07-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Thread hijack, but on the subject of Brian Moore...I watched a Big Match Classic last night from 1977?

In the same programme, we had Best, Cormack and Cropley all scoring, and Tommy Craig setting one up. [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

--------
07-09-2017, 08:38 PM

The immediate next Honours List after the European Cup Final in 1968, Matt Busby became 'Sir' Matt - in recognition of his achievement in winning the European Cup with Manchester United.

Just like Jock Stein the previous year? - oops, no.

One of the commentators I was listening to on the night of the Final actually said what a great achievement it was for United to be the first 'British' team to win the trophy - as far as I know, we're still waiting for him to correct himself.

I'm sure that when eventually hell freezes over and Scotland win an international everyone who gets STV and BBC Scotland will know all about it - but everyone else'll ignore it. 50 years since Celtic won that Cup - did BBC nationwide cover it? Even mention it? I bet they'll give Man U big licks next year ...

I thought I was being nice - Salford getting their wee boy back again. He can be THEIR haemorrhoid for the next few years.

ancient hibee
07-09-2017, 09:32 PM

QUOTE]

Ah, Arthur Montford...

His best ever was "Watch your back Billy!!"

Salisbury Hibby
08-09-2017, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=surreyhibbie;5162658]

His best ever was "Watch your back Billy!!"Did he say "Oh Billy, how could you?" when he missed that sitter against Brazil in '74?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

surreyhibbie
08-09-2017, 08:10 AM

of course we do.

But we have to import them from England...

:greengrin

--------
09-09-2017, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=ancient hibee;5163117]Did he say "Oh Billy, how could you?" when he missed that sitter against Brazil in '74?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Billy probably had money on a 0-0 draw that night, fine upstanding citizen that he was ... :devil: