PDA

View Full Version : 'Football is not my passion, Hibs are'

G B Young
04-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I've doctored the thread title based on this article, but for how many on here does this sentiment ring true?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/champions-league-fans-stories/arsenal-is-my-passion/amp/

As I've got older I've come to realise that the only football I now actually care about is anything that relates to Hibs. Unlike the Arsenal fan in the article who has never supported England, I did actually used to follow Scotland home and away until about 15 years ago when I came to realise I didn't really care about the result and had no affinity with most of the players. The only reason I was there was, quite literally, for the beer. I couldn't actually tell you when I last watched a game of international football through choice. I also used to spend part of my weekend watching English Premiership games in the pub but that has long been abandoned as I grew to loathe the way the game runs on cash alone.

Aside from that, the one bit of the article I really identify with is the guy's inability to see out a game if Arsenal are one up with a few minutes to go. I've often switched the TV or radio off in similar circumstance while watching listening to Hibs games and on a couple of occasions when I've been at the game I've even left the ground!!

howdenthehibby
04-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Yes I am the same . I've lost interest in International football ,
The so called Champions league , which it certainly is not . That and the English game where money is King. Obscene transfer fees and wages make it hard to relate too. Give me the Hibees any day.

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Some like minded people HAIL HAIL

HibbyScott
04-09-2017, 11:03 AM
I was the same, but have recently started going to watch my local non league team down in Suffolk and really enjoying it. £10 to get in, couple of pints while watching the game and usually a decent enough game of football too!

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't really care about Scotland's results too much but I will watch their games if I have nothing else on and want them to do well while I'm watching it.

It doesn't come close to how I feel about Hibs though.

G B Young
04-09-2017, 11:09 AM
I was the same, but have recently started going to watch my local non league team down in Suffolk and really enjoying it. £10 to get in, couple of pints while watching the game and usually a decent enough game of football too!

Now THAT I can relate to. It's the community feel of supporting Hibs that really appeals to me and you can take that a step further by following non-league local football. In my case it's more often likely to be a local rugby or cricket match but the ability to sit there with a pint in your hand, enjoying sport for sport's sake and not having to suffer hideous anxiety over the score is great.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 11:13 AM
I'll take a differing view. I love football, no football no Hibs, no Hibs there is still football. I cant even walk passed a park match without stopping for a few minutes to watch, just love the game, always have, always will. Following your team intensifies your emotions and adds passion to the football experience but there's still alot more to it for me.

Johnny_Leith
04-09-2017, 11:22 AM
I'll take a differing view. I love football, no football no Hibs, no Hibs there is still football. I cant even walk passed a park match without stopping for a few minutes to watch, just love the game, always have, always will. Following your team intensifies your emotions and adds passion to the football experience but there's still alot more to it for me.

This.

I'm forever watching football on TV, highlights and goal complications of great and favourite players on YouTube. I still regularly play and enjoy it, and love chatting about all things football with the lads.

I can't get enough.

jacomo
04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I've come to realise that football is a murky and corrupt world.

I still enjoy watching it but much less committed than before. When I do watch I often wonder whether what I am seeing is real. Barca's ludicrous comeback against PSG last season comes to mind...

Still a Hibs supporter of course, and I genuinely believe we are a club that does its business in the correct manner.

Sammy7nil
04-09-2017, 11:35 AM
My only real football interests are Hibs and Scotland but neither as strong as they once were, I must be getting old :agree:

I have no affinity with the EPL I used to like watching Arsenal but gave up watching it years ago I only catch the odd game now.

I would rather watch Falkirk v Dundee Utd than an EPL game.

offshorehibby
04-09-2017, 11:41 AM
I've doctored the thread title based on this article, but for how many on here does this sentiment ring true?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/champions-league-fans-stories/arsenal-is-my-passion/amp/

As I've got older I've come to realise that the only football I now actually care about is anything that relates to Hibs. Unlike the Arsenal fan in the article who has never supported England, I did actually used to follow Scotland home and away until about 15 years ago when I came to realise I didn't really care about the result and had no affinity with most of the players. The only reason I was there was, quite literally, for the beer. I couldn't actually tell you when I last watched a game of international football through choice. I also used to spend part of my weekend watching English Premiership games in the pub but that has long been abandoned as I grew to loathe the way the game runs on cash alone.

Aside from that, the one bit of the article I really identify with is the guy's inability to see out a game if Arsenal are one up with a few minutes to go. I've often switched the TV or radio off in similar circumstance while watching listening to Hibs games and on a couple of occasions when I've been at the game I've even left the ground!!

That's exactly where i am these. During the 80's and 90's i got 2 world cup finals and 2 Euro finals, combining Hibs with Scotland.
On Friday i lay in my bunk offshore flicking between masterchef and the Scotland game, the game getting 10 to 15 minuets in total if you're lucky.

My love of Hibs far outweighing my love of football. If it doesn't involve the Hibs then i'm no' relay interested these days.

MB62
04-09-2017, 11:49 AM
After 55% (apparently) of the country decided they wanted to be british, international football mean NOTHING to me.

Was always 100% Hibernian anyway, so nothing much changes.

GGTTH

lyonhibs
04-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Another thread with folk falling over each other to tell you how little they care about the national team.

Really odd.

G B Young
04-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Another thread with folk falling over each other to tell you how little they care about the national team.

Really odd.

I don't think it's that black and white. If I'd started a thread entitled something like 'God how I loathe international football, who's with me?' then I agree it might come across as a bit needless. However, the article about the Arsenal fan I've posted the link to is about much more than why he has no affinity with his national team and more about why one's club team is about so much more than just football. Judging by the responses so far it's something a lot of football fans will empathise with. If you find it an 'odd' concept fair enough.

snooky
04-09-2017, 12:16 PM
I don't give a toss about international football. The Scotland side (like some of the rest) has been multi-national for a good few years. International games are a farce these days, IMO.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Sounds about right, although I don't attend as often I used to.

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Sounds exactly like me. A lot of the time I'll pass on watching other games when they're on the tele as it's only Hibs I'm interested in. I totally get what you're saying about turning the tv or radio off when it's a narrow lead towards the end. My worst one was the Scottish cup semi a few years ago v Aberdeen. Soon as Griffiths scored towards the end I spent the rest of the game in the toilets. Nerves were shreaded. Being a Hiby is torture at times.

High-On-Hibs
04-09-2017, 03:07 PM
I watch a lot of football games. But with considerably less enthusiasm than when i'm watching the Hibs. If it's not Hibs, then I usually don't care all that much who actually wins the game.

Scouse Hibee
04-09-2017, 05:19 PM
I like the idea of watching football sometimes far more than I actually enjoy watching it. Have lost count of the amount of TV games I lost interest in very quickly and switched channels. Live (as in actually being tbere) football is totally different, I love the whole occasion whether it be in a park or at a ground, nothing can beat it as a spectator sport for me.

stu in nottingham
04-09-2017, 05:47 PM
I have floated in and out of interest with football over the years and truly, Hibs are much more important to me than the sport itself. These are for reasons of family heritage, culture, friends and 'home'.

It's a long, long time ago that - Hibs apart - I've watched much televised football. it just does little for me any more and the over analysis by the commentators and studio experts bores and occasionally irritates me.

As far as the EPL is concerned I have absolutely zilch interest in it. I'll leave that circus to the Sky generation of fans.

Again, apart from my one love - Hibs and visits to Easter Road, I'll occasionally attend at Notts County. I used to do similar at Forest but they can go and f*** themselves after recent events. I won't be putting a penny into their coffers in the future. Local lads, East Midlands Counties League, Arnold Town can have any cash I would have expended instead.

NAE NOOKIE
04-09-2017, 05:51 PM
I will literally watch any football on the telly, what I wont do is spend money on SKY or BT sports to watch it. Even though I think the Champions league is a greed fest invented to make the rich and powerful even more rich and powerful I will watch it if its on coz at the end of the day its still football ... but I wont go out of my way to watch it and as I said I certainly wouldn't pay for the privilege.

The only time I will make an effort to go to the pub to watch a game is every time Hibs are on and now and again for Scotland games.

My passion for football as a sport is still as high as it ever was, but its way outstripped by my passion for Hibs ...... nothing, no matter who is playing or what the circumstances, comes close to the excitement and anxiety I go through watching the mighty Hibees :thumbsup:

Phil MaGlass
04-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Really odd.

Noticed that too. Predictable and the same posters as always falling over themselves to belittle Scotland.

lyonhibs
04-09-2017, 06:00 PM
I don't think it's that black and white. If I'd started a thread entitled something like 'God how I loathe international football, who's with me?' then I agree it might come across as a bit needless. However, the article about the Arsenal fan I've posted the link to is about much more than why he has no affinity with his national team and more about why one's club team is about so much more than just football. Judging by the responses so far it's something a lot of football fans will empathise with. If you find it an 'odd' concept fair enough.

I should specify that I wasn't referring to your OP in my post.

For me my passions if Hibs and football. Hibs play football, it's an engaging, emotional and highly watchable game (sometimes...... :greengrin)

If Hibs participated in competitive horse whispering or synchronised mime I strongly suspect we wouldn't have nearly 13,000 ST holders. Hibs and football are intertwined and as mentioned elsewhere, even football without Hibs can happily occupy me, especially when it involves Scotland although obviously the depth of feeling isn't the same as it is watching Hibs.

Playing or watching, I love it. I just can't get on board with the relentlessly crabbit approach some have towards "modern football", which for all its ills, can be a great spectacle.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Watching football outwith Hibs often bores me. That doesn't just relate to Scotland, it's across the board. I've got no emotional engagement with it so I find it hard to get excited about it.

I still enjoy playing football but if Hibs ceased to exist tomorrow I doubt I'd watch much football. There's loads of thing I'd rather do than watch a non Hibs football match and that includes watching other sports.

ronaldo7
04-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Watching someone you love, playing fitba makes all the difference. Family, (Grandson), Hibs, Scotland, they're just on different levels.

I'll watch all types of fitba, as it's the game that I love, but when one of your own are on the pitch, that's when it's different.

weecounty hibby
04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
The problem is that there is too much football on TV now. Totally love Hibs and used to follow Scotland as well. Back in the day if there as a live game on TV it meant a big international, European match or cup final so you would go out of your way to watch it as it meant something. Nowadays you can watch Barcelona or RealMadrid every week. For me it makes football, except Hibs, that wee bit less special

.Sean.
04-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Me too, honestly couldn't care less about the national team; never have never will, honestly no arsed whether they win or lose.

Champions League is of no interest, couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game. I'd honestly rather watch Alloa Stranraer on Alba.

Quite like MOTD but rarely do I sit and watched a full Premiership game. Don't mind the Championship but wouldn't go out my way to watch any specific game.

Two types of folk I'll never understand are those that have a second team they're passionate about, but especially those welts that think wearing a Spurs/ Man U/ Liverpool etc top down to their local on a Sunday constitutes being a fan - usually the same fuds who rip the pish out of Scottish football but sit around the big tele in the boozer chugging over Jamie Redknapp and his pals on Super Sunday, sad as ****.

Hibs and Hibs only for me

Mibbes Aye
04-09-2017, 07:54 PM
I lost interest in the Scotland team a long, long time ago. I used to think it was because I didn't have any emotional attachment to them but I actually wonder whether it's been the lack of qualification to major tournaments - Scotland were regular qualifiers all through my childhood, youth and early adulthood. That lack of progression probably contributed to a lack of interest.

Funnily enough I'm getting back into watching them - players like Robertson, Tierney and Armstrong are genuinely exciting to watch. It's good to see Griffiths getting his chance (just scored as I type) and it highlights how someone like Scott Brown has developed through CL experience.

Unlike most it would appear, I like the Champions' League. Yes, it's a grossly-inflated moneyfest, but it's still an opportunity to see football that's generally a much higher technical standard than what is on offer on these shores.

I'll happily watch a Juventus or Atletico Madrid game for example, even more so if it's the likes of hose two or similar facing each other.

Galahibby
04-09-2017, 10:48 PM
I never missed a Scotland game as a kid, but Andy Roxburgh beat the enthusiasm out of me and I've never quite managed to find it again. I also think years of obscure players being picked ahead of in-form players from the Scottish leagues simply because they played in England (for absolutely anyone) haven't helped. Of course I want them to win, but I just don't have the same passion for Scotland as I have for Hibs. Put it this way, Scotland could win the next World Cup and I can't imagine feeling anything close to what I felt at 10 to 5 on 21/5/16 when I was bear hugging the complete stranger next to me like he was my best friend, whilst totally bawling my eyes out. I don't think it's a case of people dissing the national team, I think you just either feel it or you don't. Just my tuppence worth, GGTTH :aok:

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 10:51 PM
I never missed a Scotland game as a kid, but Andy Roxburgh beat the enthusiasm out of me and I've never quite managed to find it again. I also think years of obscure players being picked ahead of in-form players from the Scottish leagues simply because they played in England (for absolutely anyone) haven't helped. Of course I want them to win, but I just don't have the same passion for Scotland as I have for Hibs. Put it this way, Scotland could win the next World Cup and I can't imagine feeling anything close to what I felt at 10 to 5 on 21/5/16 when I was bear hugging the complete stranger next to me like he was my best friend, whilst totally bawling my eyes out. I don't think it's a case of people dissing the national team, I think you just either feel it or you don't. Just my tuppence worth, GGTTH :aok:

Quick edit there! :greengrin

Galahibby
04-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Quick edit there! :greengrin

Haha, blaming the tiny phone keyboard. Although I was still greetin and hugging strangers at 10 to 5 the following day doon the Links :wink:

lord bunberry
05-09-2017, 12:23 AM
When it comes to Scotland I find it easier to say I don't care, but the truth is I do. Like most people I want them to do well and qualify for major tournaments. The fact that they have failed to do so is probably the main reason for the apathy. I remember when we qualified for tournaments, the whole country was at fever pitch, even when we got close to qualifying a few years ago it was the same.
The fans are there, they just need a sign that we're not going to be disappointed yet again.
International football could never come close to following hibs though.

hibbiedon
05-09-2017, 03:17 AM
Me too, honestly couldn't care less about the national team; never have never will, honestly no arsed whether they win or lose.

Champions League is of no interest, couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game. I'd honestly rather watch Alloa Stranraer on Alba.

Quite like MOTD but rarely do I sit and watched a full Premiership game. Don't mind the Championship but wouldn't go out my way to watch any specific game.

Two types of folk I'll never understand are those that have a second team they're passionate about, but especially those welts that think wearing a Spurs/ Man U/ Liverpool etc top down to their local on a Sunday constitutes being a fan - usually the same fuds who rip the pish out of Scottish football but sit around the big tele in the boozer chugging over Jamie Redknapp and his pals on Super Sunday, sad as ****.

Hibs and Hibs only for me

im very similar although I do want Scotland to win, It's Hibs only for me

Forza Fred
05-09-2017, 03:57 AM
In Oz two years ago, there was a major upset in the provision of live EPL matches when mobile phone provider Optus paid seriously more than pay tv channel Foxtel to win the contract.

For manyitwas front page news!

Mattered not one jot to me....if Hibs were playing Alloa I'd still prefer that on Hibs TV to watching Liverpool v Manchester United.

Bishop Hibee
05-09-2017, 07:31 AM
I can multi-task and be passionate about Hibs and Scotland and enjoy games that involve neither. Imagine that.

keep the faith
05-09-2017, 08:02 AM
I will watch Scottish football as we love being down on it and considering the lack of money in our game i can see improvements and good quality football. I hope more get behind the Scottish league.

I have no interest in the EPL. It's a soul less corporate game owned by multinationals and played by mercenaries which just happens to be housed in England. Not for me.

G B Young
05-09-2017, 10:24 AM
I should specify that I wasn't referring to your OP in my post.

For me my passions if Hibs and football. Hibs play football, it's an engaging, emotional and highly watchable game (sometimes...... :greengrin)

If Hibs participated in competitive horse whispering or synchronised mime I strongly suspect we wouldn't have nearly 13,000 ST holders. Hibs and football are intertwined and as mentioned elsewhere, even football without Hibs can happily occupy me, especially when it involves Scotland although obviously the depth of feeling isn't the same as it is watching Hibs.

Playing or watching, I love it. I just can't get on board with the relentlessly crabbit approach some have towards "modern football", which for all its ills, can be a great spectacle.

I'm not sure I agree. While there was a time when I would watch pretty much any football unconditionally, I've come to the opinion as the years have gone by that the game itself is overrated and often fuelled more by hype than what's actually on offer. I have, on occasion, tried to watch games objectively and it can be quite an eye opener to realise how LITTLE actually happens over the course of 90 minutes - even if there are a few goals. Compared to a number of sports such as golf or tennis where every single shot contributes to the outcome of the match/tournament, or American-flavoured sports like ice hockey or basketball where the action is relentless, football can often, dare I say it, be very dull.

However, it's the fact that no matter how dull a Hibs match is, it will still tear away at my emotions which sets it apart from football per se. If it was any other match I would just switch off the TV, but with Hibs in the blood you simply can't just walk away.

FilipinoHibs
05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
In Oz two years ago, there was a major upset in the provision of live EPL matches when mobile phone provider Optus paid seriously more than pay tv channel Foxtel to win the contract.

For manyitwas front page news!

Mattered not one jot to me....if Hibs were playing Alloa I'd still prefer that on Hibs TV to watching Liverpool v Manchester United.

Agree.

Saturday Boy
05-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Interesting thread, although more a reflection of tv watching habits than actually watching football 😉

MartinfaePorty
05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
I can multi-task and be passionate about Hibs and Scotland and enjoy games that involve neither. Imagine that.Well, your demeanour during the matches doesn't suggest a man who gets enjoyment out of it. More like a gateway to an early grave [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
05-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Interesting thread, although more a reflection of tv watching habits than actually watching football 😉

Or quite a few Hibs fans dont actually like football.

basehibby
05-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm passionate about two football teams - Hibs and Scotland. Beyond that I still love the game of football though - it was always my favourite sport to play and I enjoy watching it whoever's playing - albeit not with anything like the fire in my belly which watching Hibs and Scotland inspires.

I don't buy into the nonsense the Arsenal fan is spouting about supporting your national team being somehow hypocritical just because some players who play for your club's rivals might represent your national side. But then I never really bought into the big hate thing either. I may for example love watching Hibs beat Hearts possibly more than anything else in this world - but as a rule I bear no ill will to any of the players on the pitch outside of that 90 mins - or the opposition supporters for that matter unless they give me a particular reason for feeling that way.

On another note - if Hibs were to take the route of charging exorbitant and exploitative ticket prices similar to Arsenal (c £1500 a Season Ticket!!!) then I'm not sure how my passion would hold up - I've grown to resent some of the massively overpaid brats plying their trade down south and would not take kindly to having my pockets cleaned to keep such idiots in their life of over-priviledged luxury..

WhileTheChief..
05-09-2017, 01:29 PM
So for those of you with no interest in football other than Hibs, how do manage to have opinions on players and teams that you never watch??

Constantly hear about folk never watching the EPL or Champs League yet they comment on the games they've not watched. Weird.

You're missing out on some cracking football. I'd give it a try if I was you.

HantsHibs
05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
I used to hold a ST for Southampton for 4-5 years as they made their way up from L1 to a few seasons Prem. Sure, I saw some great games, but even then, it just didn't compare to how I feel watching Hibs. Highs were just "pleasant", and the lows were a casual, fleeting disappointment.

Watching Hibs however was (and is) pure frustration or elation for me. For example, I watched the Hibs - Dundee Utd "Conrad" cup game abroad with another solitary Hibs fan (never met him before), and it was amazing to be aware that I was on a different emotional level from start to finish, even though there wasn't several thousand fans around me. Obivously a few folk in the bar had never seen Begbie in Trainspotting before. :greengrin

As for watching football on TV as a neutral, I just don't get it sometimes. I'm probably not a footballing connoisseur. I've got legit access to most CL games, but I find 75% of the time just tuning out. It's more exciting for me watching the live text or audio of Hibs. I'm sure there must be a few fans like me around. My only regret is only possibly seeing 1 or 2 games a season.

heidtheba
05-09-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm no uber-fan, quite the opposite, but I gave up watching Scotland after Craig Brown resigned and I only watch a few EPL games a season (less than 3). I don't watch anything else BUT I'd LOVE for the old mid-90s style Football Italia to return. I loved that format - Mezzanote and Sunday game (did they have a Saturday news 'catch-up' thing too?) That was almost cultural and Italian football then was so much more interesting.

Robinho08
05-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Always want to see Scotland do well, but Hibs over international football any day of the week. Not fused on other leagues either, Hibs and the Scottish domestic game is all that matters.

nonshinyfinish
05-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm no uber-fan, quite the opposite, but I gave up watching Scotland after Craig Brown resigned and I only watch a few EPL games a season (less than 3). I don't watch anything else BUT I'd LOVE for the old mid-90s style Football Italia to return. I loved that format - Mezzanote and Sunday game (did they have a Saturday news 'catch-up' thing too?) That was almost cultural and Italian football then was so much more interesting.

BT Sport's European Football Show was not far off the Football Italia format – even to the point of being presented by James Richardson. But BT cancelled it.

PeeJay
05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
The team I've supported since I was a kid is Hibs. I don't think Hibs generally play what I would call very good football and we haven't done so for some time now in my opinion. The same applies to Scotland - I fully understand that "passionate" fans back home will see that differently, that's fair enough. I still support the club though, and follow it on Hibs tv, regardless of the level of football it produces, I guess I live in hope that the good days will return.

If I want to watch outstanding football in this modern age I have to look elsewhere - and like it or not - there are some cracking teams out there that are a pure joy to watch - Germany last night for example!

I'm not so "passionate" about the game anymore, but I do enjoy watching football in various domestic and international competitions when time permits - not just my team. Find it a bit strange that this football forum is full of people saying they don't like watching football not involving Hibs?

Anyway, Turkey v Croatia should be a good game this evening ... not for some on here obviously :greengrin

G B Young
05-09-2017, 05:31 PM
So for those of you with no interest in football other than Hibs, how do manage to have opinions on players and teams that you never watch??

Constantly hear about folk never watching the EPL or Champs League yet they comment on the games they've not watched. Weird.

You're missing out on some cracking football. I'd give it a try if I was you.

The answer to that is I don't really have any opinions on other teams, bar the fact I pretty much loathe anything connected with Hearts!

There was a time when I could probably have had a stab at naming a starting line-up for all the teams in the Scottish top flight as well as a few of the top English sides, but I can honestly say that these days I'd struggle to name more than a couple of players from most of the other Scottish Premiership sides, Hearts included. I guess I could name about five from Celtic but they would be the exception. Absolutely no idea who plays for the top English sides as I genuinely never watch EPL games. I did watch Match of the Day on occasion up until about three years ago but even that's fallen by the wayside. The pundits were so woefully lacking in any sort of insight that they'd have been better just showing the highlights without any analysis.

jacomo
05-09-2017, 10:36 PM
The team I've supported since I was a kid is Hibs. I don't think Hibs generally play what I would call very good football and we haven't done so for some time now in my opinion. The same applies to Scotland - I fully understand that "passionate" fans back home will see that differently, that's fair enough. I still support the club though, and follow it on Hibs tv, regardless of the level of football it produces, I guess I live in hope that the good days will return.

If I want to watch outstanding football in this modern age I have to look elsewhere - and like it or not - there are some cracking teams out there that are a pure joy to watch - Germany last night for example!

I'm not so "passionate" about the game anymore, but I do enjoy watching football in various domestic and international competitions when time permits - not just my team. Find it a bit strange that this football forum is full of people saying they don't like watching football not involving Hibs?

Anyway, Turkey v Croatia should be a good game this evening ... not for some on here obviously :greengrin

I disagree with a lot of this.

Not sure what your time reference for 'some time' is but Hibs are on an upward curve. You can't always afford the best players but I want to see a team that is organised, committed and brave on the ball. I want to see them try to play.

The % game is not for me.

Scotland play poorly too often.

I've lost a lot of faith because football has been corrupted by wealth. The governing body is bent and so are plenty of others.

But of course Germany are incredible and some great performances make you suspend your cynicism for a brief moment!

monktonharp
05-09-2017, 11:21 PM
I like the idea of watching football sometimes far more than I actually enjoy watching it. Have lost count of the amount of TV games I lost interest in very quickly and switched channels. Live (as in actually being tbere) football is totally different, I love the whole occasion whether it be in a park or at a ground, nothing can beat it as a spectator sport for me.I love the occasion of watching my team, Hibernian more than most things to be honest. I also love the cammeraderie if that the right spelling , of being with a group of like minded fans anywhere to watch them. as for watching tv games, or internationals I have virtually no interest. And at the risk of being accused of having a dig at you, I find the whole English system has gone bonkers with the silly money up for grabs to lots of otherwise unknown clubs. the rooster will come home to roost though. hopefully not affecting my club.

MWHIBBIES
05-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Do the same folk that disregard the English league because of the money involved and the apparent lack of passion get angry when English people laugh at our league for being a 1 horse race?

Football is football, absolutely no reason not to just relax and enjoy it. The dick measuring just pointless.

monktonharp
05-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Do the same folk that disregard the English league because of the money involved and the apparent lack of passion get angry when English people laugh at our league for being a 1 horse race?

Football is football, absolutely no reason not to just relax and enjoy it. The dick measuring just pointless.I would not regard English football as lacking passion.plenty of it, no doubt but,....from my point of view and it is only mine I can neither relate to or indeed contemplate watching the English football system on tv, thereby contributing to a system that pours money into clubs down South, and especially to the mega clubs who are mainly managed by foreign billionaires.

SirDavidsNapper
06-09-2017, 02:01 AM
I would not regard English football as lacking passion.plenty of it, no doubt but,....from my point of view and it is only mine I can neither relate to or indeed contemplate watching the English football system on tv, thereby contributing to a system that pours money into clubs down South, and especially to the mega clubs who are mainly managed by foreign billionaires.

I couldn't list 75% of the teams in the EPL. That's how little interest I have in it. I don't watch MOTD anymore and would rather do something else than watch a live English game on the box. I don't know if it's because I'm disgusted by the greed and wealth of the overrated players and clubs down there or if it's because it doesn't involve Hibs. Bit of both probably.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2017, 06:17 AM
I think because football is on so much, we've all mostly got used to seeing it on all of the time now that we take it for granted some sort of football will be on.

It's like having a nice steak every night for tea, you would soon want something different.

I have it on, whatever game it is it's on in the corner of the room. Hibs and Scotland are the only games I really watch without doing something else like post here or other things around the house.

weecounty hibby
06-09-2017, 06:28 AM
I said that earlier in the thread. For me there is no mystique anymore. The excitement of watching the European cup final, FA cup final. International players you had only read about in magazines. Al that is gone now as I can watch Messi, Ronaldo etc every single week if I choose to. European cup is no more and the days of seeing exotic sounding teams from all over Europe is gone to be replaced by the CL with almost the same teams every year and definitely the same semi finalists year on year. Footballers too were always paid higher than your average working man but we could still relate to them. Now some of them earning £500k per week and flying the world in private jets. They are so far removed from your average can it is ridiculous. For me, Hibs apart, the magic has gone out of football

PeeJay
06-09-2017, 06:34 AM
I disagree with a lot of this.

Not sure what your time reference for 'some time' is but Hibs are on an upward curve. You can't always afford the best players but I want to see a team that is organised, committed and brave on the ball. I want to see them try to play.

By "some time" I meant since Turnbul's Tornadoes :greengrin - you're correct about the "upward curve", of course, I hope the standard of football will improve too ...

jacomo
06-09-2017, 09:23 AM
By "some time" I meant since Turnbul's Tornadoes :greengrin - you're correct about the "upward curve", of course, I hope the standard of football will improve too ...

Well if you are going back that far you will always be disappointed.

It's not that long ago that the top league in Scotland was roughly on a par with that in England - but 25 years of financial doping has changed the picture.

Of course the Tornadoes never won the Scottish Cup...

Steve-O
06-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Watched football constantly from probably about 1987 - 2007 until I left for NZ. Still watch it reasonably regularly but nowhere near as much as I used to.

Still like watching Scotland. Not massively fussed for most other international football or any other football outside of Scottish or Australian/NZ (as I'm here and it's the only football I see at a normal hour!).

Edit - I'd say I'm just about as equally passionate about Scotland as Hibs. Hibs slightly ahead, but I was at Hampden for the England game and have rarely experienced such a feeling as when those two free kicks hit the net. Followed by the familiar low 2 minutes later of course!

Steve-O
06-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Or quite a few Hibs fans dont actually like football.

I don't really enjoy football nowadays where I don't care about the result. It's that simple really.

surreyhibbie
06-09-2017, 09:48 AM
I watch all sorts of football, the difference is that the results don't bother me too much except for Hibs.

Like to see Scotland win, and am disappointed when they lose, but a Hibs result on a Saturday can make or break my whole weekend.

:flag:

PeeJay
06-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Well if you are going back that far you will always be disappointed.

It's not that long ago that the top league in Scotland was roughly on a par with that in England - but 25 years of financial doping has changed the picture.

Of course the Tornadoes never won the Scottish Cup...

Fair point - it was bit flippant from me, but that was when I last lived in the UK and regularly went to every game - not keen on the fact that I actually go back that far, but that's the way it is, I guess.

I am glad I saw the Tornadoes in action, that means more to me personally than winning the Scottish Cup ...

Not sure the Scottish league has ever been roughly on a par with the English one ... although there were times when our finest teams could compete with their finest teams on an individual basis ...