PDA

View Full Version : Why you need a copy of Patchwork & Quilting magazine from September 2000

worcesterhibby
04-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Was chatting in the pub last night about stupid things we have done at work, and I remembered a little incident in September 2000 that might make a few smile. Back then I was working in the Marketing Dept of a publishing company that produced Hobby magazines and one of my roles was to source competition prizes and run competitions in the magazines. One of the toughest ones for me to get excited about was Patchwork & Quilting magazine, so when it came to setting up a competition in the magazine, I opted for a wordsearch as they are pretty easy to create. You can imagine that most of the words hidden were things like "Fabric", "Stitches", "Blanket" etc..unfortunately I finished the word search off after coming back from lunch in the pub on a friday and thought it would be a good idea to 'hide' a few Hibs players names in the word search too...I didn't list the ones they had to find..but if there were any eagle eyed patch working Hibs fans out there, they would have spotted "Sauzee", "Latapy" and "Paatelainen" in there too !

Unfortunately there was some sad old cow of a Hearts fan who wrote to the editor and complained about their inclusion, so I got a right dressing down for messing about !

Still I still regard the September 2000 issue of P&Q as the "Hibernian Special edition" I just wish I still had a copy !

Jack Ferrigan
04-09-2017, 10:44 AM
An amusing wee tale.Thanks for sharing.

jgl07
04-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately there was some sad old cow of a Hearts fan who wrote to the editor and complained about their inclusion, so I got a right dressing down for messing about !

Budgie?

snooky
04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
The fact that it ticked off some humourless foostie old Jam Fart surely made it all worthwhile. At least your fine effort didn't go unnoticed. :greengrin

Keith_M
04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
I'm sure I have a copy of it in my spare room, next to my book on "British telephones poles of the 1940s and 50s"

--------
04-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm sure I have a copy of it in my spare room, next to my book on "British telephones poles of the 1940s and 50s"

YOU'RE interested in old telephone poles too??????????????????????????? :partyhibb

In this context, remember how they all complained about THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeXndn0qyQ

Moulin Yarns
04-09-2017, 12:36 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/263161151599?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=46481853114&rlsatarget=pla-327226388282&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=101766306&poi=&googleloc=9046854&device=c&campaignid=861899468&crdt=0

:wink:

Bostonhibby
04-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Great wee story[emoji4]

Some hearts trumpet said we're about to go bust like they did so maybe we should try and get hold of this publication and crochet our way out of this impending crisis?

Can be our equivalent of building a stand by baking cakes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
these stories fair rip ma knittin

p.s. quite sad that the budge saw fit to write in, nae humour

Bostonhibby
04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
these stories fair rip ma knittin

p.s. quite sad that the budge saw fit to write in, nae humour

Well spotted, Cannae pull the wool over our eyes, Mrs Budge can't.

Alfiembra
04-09-2017, 01:31 PM
I was in stitches reading this :faf::faf:

Peevemor
04-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Not Hibs themed unfortunately, but in my first job across here I did the plans for a new supermarket in Normandy. I was given pretty much a free hand for the parking/landscaping so decided to use a cheeky wee cock'n baws motif for the main pedestrian access. Nobody seems to have noticed and it has since been built. I'm vewy pwoud!

worcesterhibby
04-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Budgie?

haha, probably

Hibby70
04-09-2017, 02:46 PM
My first job in UAT back when I was a lad, I set up all my test people as Hibs players. 100s of them, took me longer researching than it did testing.

Smartie
04-09-2017, 03:53 PM
You should update it with a more recent version.

Start off by getting Purl Hanlon and James Knittings in there.

nonshinyfinish
04-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Start of by getting Purl Hanlon and James Knittings in there.

Don't start the puns, it makes some folk on here all crochety.

worcesterhibby
04-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Start off by getting Purl Hanlon and James Knittings in there.

You're just trying to needle me with those crap puns !

Smartie
04-09-2017, 05:04 PM
You're just trying to needle me with those crap puns !

If you don't like them then I suggest you look at another thread instead.

Hibs.net is a rich tapestry of all sorts of subjects, it's not all just about crap puns.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Was chatting in the pub last night about stupid things we have done at work, and I remembered a little incident in September 2000 that might make a few smile. Back then I was working in the Marketing Dept of a publishing company that produced Hobby magazines and one of my roles was to source competition prizes and run competitions in the magazines. One of the toughest ones for me to get excited about was Patchwork & Quilting magazine, so when it came to setting up a competition in the magazine, I opted for a wordsearch as they are pretty easy to create. You can imagine that most of the words hidden were things like "Fabric", "Stitches", "Blanket" etc..unfortunately I finished the word search off after coming back from lunch in the pub on a friday and thought it would be a good idea to 'hide' a few Hibs players names in the word search too...I didn't list the ones they had to find..but if there were any eagle eyed patch working Hibs fans out there, they would have spotted "Sauzee", "Latapy" and "Paatelainen" in there too !

Still I still regard the September 2000 issue of P&Q as the "Hibernian Special edition" I just wish I still had a copy !

You should do a J.R. Hartley...19316

wpj
04-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Not Hibs themed unfortunately, but in my first job across here I did the plans for a new supermarket in Normandy. I was given pretty much a free hand for the parking/landscaping so decided to use a cheeky wee cock'n baws motif for the main pedestrian access. Nobody seems to have noticed and it has since been built. I'm vewy pwoud!

Brilliant. Reminds me of a story about council workers in Port Glasgow who ignored the instructions and planted bulbs in a hammer and sickle Soviet flag