PDA

View Full Version : Scotland vs Malta

Pages : [1] 2

Souter96Mac
04-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Noticed no one has made a thread for this yet, and I know it's not that glamorous a fixture, but I'm strangely buzzing for this one. I don't really know the squad we have so any ideas on a potential lineup? I'll be watching it on the TV at work, but hoping for another professional win. I think Malta will be knackered after the England game, so could be a big scoreline. On that note, does the group stages go on goal difference or head to head?

DarlingtonHibee
04-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Just read on the BBC website we have 4 players on a yellow including Griffiths and Brown, hope the manager is careful with selection.

G B Young
04-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Personally I'll just be happy when this international break is over and we can get back to the football that matters. International football does nothing for me.

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Just read on the BBC website we have 4 players on a yellow including Griffiths and Brown, hope the manager is careful with selection.

3 up on Friday they should have given away a daft foul to get the suspension out the way with 2 even bigger games to come in Oct. It's cynical but is done all over the world. Although I'm surprised brown wasn't booked. Gave away his usual 5-10 fouls in a match.

On to tonight I'm buzzing. Was hopeful we'd see SJM from the start but I reckon Strachan will pick the same line up from Friday for continuity.

The France result is probably what we needed to see from a focus and attitude perspective. We need to be on our game from the off and not have the attitude of "we're playing a minnow" mindset.

Still a tall ask to finish 2nd but even before a ball was kicked last sept, we all assumed we'd win this double header and would need to beat Slovakia at home and get something from Slovenia away. Had a couple of results gone our way (lith/england at home or Slovakia dropping points at the weekend) we may not have needed maximum points.

Results go our way tonight and that slovak game in Oct will be massive

DarlingtonHibee
04-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Being scotland anything is possible...

MartinfaePorty
04-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Looking forward to it. Will be in South Africa for the Slovakia game so this'll be my last game of the qualifiers, barring play-offs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

jonny
04-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Personally I'll just be happy when this international break is over and we can get back to the football that matters. International football does nothing for me.

I have a few friends that feel the same as your good self in relation to international football.
Whilst I do miss Saturdays at Easter Road, I still get a great buzz from watching Scotland. I can't wait for tonight's game, I'm finding the anticipation of will we / won't we make the playoffs really exciting.

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Couldn't care less about the Scotland team same crap like mcarthur,martin,hanley gets picked each time and the tartan army are just strange.

Hibs to win a throw in over Scotland to win the world cup

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Couldn't care less about the Scotland team same crap like mcarthur,martin,hanley gets picked each time and the tartan army are just strange.

Didnt you watch the last game then they were very good. Think Tartan Army get alot criticism for some strange reason, they are incredibly loyal and usually support with a bit of humour also. They gave a donation to a sports club in Lithuania at the weekend also which is a great gesture.

Huge game tonight and hope we win as will set up a massive match v Slovakia. Got the feeling the slovaks may get something from wembley hope not.

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Didnt you watch the last game then they were very good. Think Tartan Army get alot criticism for some strange reason, they are incredibly loyal and usually support with a bit of humour also. They gave a donation to a sports club in Lithuania at the weekend also which is a great gesture.

Huge game tonight and hope we win as will set up a massive match v Slovakia. Got the feeling the slovaks may get something from wembley hope not.

No mate I don't watch the national at all. ive had some horrific run ins with the tartan army and they really dodgy yams or sheep sh****Rs

rodhibs55
04-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Looking forward to the game to. Hopefully catch it as I am currently in Bremen. Anyone got any ideas as to where it might be on in Bremen?
Cheers

NYHibby
04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
No mate I don't watch the national at all. ive had some horrific run ins with the tartan army and they really dodgy yams or sheep sh****Rs

I get the impression this says more about you than the tartan army...

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:40 AM
I get the impression this says more about you than the tartan army...

don't see what your problem is pal

SChibs
04-09-2017, 10:42 AM

What's wrong with mcarthur? He made 29 epl appearances last season so obviously he's not a bad player

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
What's wrong with mcarthur? He made 29 epl appearances last season so obviously he's not a bad player

good for him id rather see gauld, McGregor, Christie or mclean be called up more attack minded

Smartie
04-09-2017, 10:47 AM

I think too much emphasis is placed on this kind of thing.

You need a squad of sufficient and quality and depth to withstand suspension and injury - it's part of the game.

If anyone pussyfoots around trying not to get booked, that is when problems arise.

Full-blooded, get intae them, win tonight then the next game takes care of itself.

It is inevitable that we will miss players over the next 2 games, presumably our opponents will too.

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-09-2017, 10:50 AM
good for him id rather see gauld, McGregor, Christie or mclean be called up more attack minded

Assuming you watch these players regularly? Gauld lol barely kicks a ball. Is McLean any better than SJM?

McArthur scored on Friday btw. Not bad for a defensive mid. Also scored against Germany

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:51 AM
not saying mclean is better than SJM but would like to see them given a chance

SRHibs
04-09-2017, 10:52 AM

You need a squad of sufficient and quality and depth to withstand suspension and injury - it's part of the game.

If anyone pussyfoots around trying not to get booked, that is when problems arise.

Full-blooded, get intae them, win tonight then the next game takes care of itself.

It is inevitable that we will miss players over the next 2 games, presumably our opponents will too.

Don't think too much emphasis is made of it, especially when quality is so hard to come by in the Scotland squad. Would probably sit Griffiths out of this one as we are absolutely goosed if we don't have him against the better teams.

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Really :confused:

Big_Franck
04-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Always find it bizarre behaviour for those that according to them have no interest in the national team (which is strange enough IMO) to open threads clearly labelled as Scotland threads, read through the posts and then also write a reply to the thread. That doesn't show a lack of interest at all.

I think tonight will be tight with us winnings 1 or 2 nil, with a goal from Griffiths.

Silky slivka
04-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Really :confused:

my opinion pal hail hail

Souter96Mac
04-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Maybe another cap for SJM tonight then if Brown is on a booking? Can't see whitty featuring but Hibs could collect 6 caps in the space of a weekend. Changed days.

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Always find it bizarre behaviour for those that according to them have no interest in the national team (which is strange enough IMO) to open threads clearly labelled as Scotland threads, read through the posts and then also write a reply to the thread. That doesn't show a lack of interest at all.

I think tonight will be tight with us winnings 1 or 2 nil, with a goal from Griffiths.

I think we will struggle however hopefully get the win.

Big_Franck
04-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I think we will struggle however hopefully get the win.

Yeah I think it'll be tight. Malta showed on Friday that they aren't terrible. They are fairly well organised and a lot of their players have half decent touch and technique. Right now I'd take a 1-0 win with an injury time goal that comes off someone's ar**.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Malta certainly made things very tough for the vast majority of the game against England and England struggled to break them down. Malta offered very little if anything going forward. They were well organised and were particularly strong defensively through the middle, the keeper was decent too. England found space wide but just didnt use it very well., someone like Matty Phillips could have an important role to play. For some bizzare reason England also went with two holding midfield players in Henderson and Livermore which against Malta, with the greatest respect was ill judged for me. Early goal will settle things down, but more importantly than anything its about getting the result if Scotland do make it to Russia no one will remember a scruffy 1 or 2 goal win against Malta. Patience often required in tese games.

Sammy7nil
04-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Hopefully 2 - 0 at Ht and SJM gets 45 mins and scores a couple

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
We need to win our last 3 games to stand any chance of getting to the play offs.

Big match tonight that we can't afford any slip ups in.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Should add to my post above that Malta lets say like a tackle. They are currently top of the disciplinary league for all the uefa qualifing groups.

WeeRussell
04-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Had a quick read through this thread and here are my thoughts on the topics discussed:

IF we play with the same application and desire (with largely the same team) tonight as we did on Friday, it SHOULD be a mere formality.

I was in Lithuania, and the Tartan Army were absolutely brilliant. Left with a sense of having befriended the city, rather than simply turned up and made a mess of the place. Locals stopping to film and applaud the sing-songs/piping etc, commenting on how us coming and drinking their beer was good for their economy.. and the only trouble I seen the whole weekend was young Lithuanians fighting each other in a fast food shop in the early hours. It's an easy thing to criticise a loyal group of supporters (because they wear kilts and a lot come from up North?!) without ever actually being in their company or at the games. A group of people proud of their country and football team (albeit a poor one).. but they are also proud of their image and relationship with the places that they visit. Never seen any incidents as I say.. but there was a feeling that anyone who got more than a bit carried away, or stepped out of line, would have been told so by the masses.

If this makes the TA strange/sad or whatever else.. I'd rather be in the strange group than a number of cool/hard-man supporters you see following a number of other teams.

I love Hibs, and fully accept I am in the minority when it comes to putting my country first. It's the constant slagging and desire to show how little you care about the national team that always baffles me.

Smartie
04-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Don't think too much emphasis is made of it, especially when quality is so hard to come by in the Scotland squad. Would probably sit Griffiths out of this one as we are absolutely goosed if we don't have him against the better teams.

I'd take him off if we were lucky enough to be 2 goals up.

Scotland have ballsed up against enough weak opponents over the years for me to want to risk sitting anyone out on purpose.

One game at a time, and you deal with what is in front of you with who you have each time.

theonlywayisup
04-09-2017, 12:01 PM
As others have said, I find it odd that someone would come onto a thread about Scotland v Malta and state "couldn't give a XYZ" about it.

It's the same whether you start a thread about the Champions League or the English Premiership. If you're not interested, then please don't post. Many who are interested, are not interested in your "couldn't give a XYZ" post.

Anyway back on topic "C'mon Scotland".:saltireflag:saltireflag

bingo70
04-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Am I right in saying there's little difference if Slovakia get a draw or get beat tonight? I think it'd only be a problem for us if slovakia win?

SChibs
04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Am I right in saying there's little difference if Slovakia get a draw or get beat tonight? I think it'd only be a problem for us if slovakia win?

If they lose and we win it give us more leeway. We'd be 1 point behind then if we beat them at home 2 ahead. That way we'd potentially go through with a draw away to Slovenia assuming they win vs Malta but not by too many

Ryan69
04-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Goal difference could still play a factor I believe....so scoring a few would be very helpful.

Velma Dinkley
04-09-2017, 12:19 PM
If we finish 2nd without winning our last 3 games we would likely be the worst placed runner up and goal difference would be irrelevant.

Johnny_Leith
04-09-2017, 12:23 PM
It's going to take a bit of a miracle to qualify now I think but I've witnessed Hibs win the Scottish cup and Leicester won the premier league in recent years so anything is possible!

Mr White
04-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Really? It seems to keep you quite busy with commenting and starting threads about it on this forum.

Anyway I hope results go our way tonight and we see some more decent performances like we did on friday to build some momemtum ahead of next month's double header.

Keith_M
04-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Goal difference could still play a factor I believe....so scoring a few would be very helpful.

:agree:

Neily1982
04-09-2017, 12:36 PM
I could be wrong here but is it not a case of goals scored against the team at the bottom of the group does not count towards the goal the difference?

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 12:38 PM
I could be wrong here but is it not a case of goals scored against the team at the bottom of the group does not count towards the goal the difference?

thought that myself, if the points don't count then surely the goals F/A don't either

mcohibs
04-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Matches against the team that finishes bottom in the group are discounted if we finish second. So obviously we need three points tonight to increase our chances of finishing second but the number of goals we win by won't matter

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 12:43 PM

I think it used to be the case when in the past some groups had 6 teams in them and some had 5 but this time around there are 6 teams in each group so all matches will count.

--------
04-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Really? It seems to keep you quite busy with commenting and starting threads about it on this forum.

Anyway I hope results go our way tonight and we see some more decent performances like we did on friday to build some momemtum ahead of next month's double header.

I haven't been at all interested in Scotland's performances or results lately, and I don't expect the team to qualify for this WC, but a revival of fortunes for the Scotland team would do the game in Scotland as a whole no harm at all.

It might even persuade me to take a wee bit notice of them every now and again. :wink:

SChibs
04-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Matches against the team that finishes bottom in the group are discounted if we finish second. So obviously we need three points tonight to increase our chances of finishing second but the number of goals we win by won't matter

Might matter if it comes down to us and slovakia on the same points

mcohibs
04-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Might matter if it comes down to us and slovakia on the same points

True. What I should have said was that if we have already secured second place then the number of goals we score against Malta won't help us toward being one of the eight best-placed second teams

Smartie
04-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Do we not need to pump Slovakia to avoid falling behind them in the head to head?

Not sure if goal difference is likely to make much difference.

They beat us 3-0. Reversing that will be a big ask.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Do we not need to pump Slovakia to avoid falling behind them in the head to head?

Not sure if goal difference is likely to make much difference.

They beat us 3-0. Reversing that will be a big ask.

Head to head doesnt really come into it. Its GD and GF ahead of that.

Smartie
04-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Head to head doesnt really come into it. Its GD and GF ahead of that.

Brilliant.

That's cheered me up a bit.

I'm a bit more optimistic now.

C'mon England!

danhibees1875
04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
On my way to my first Scotland game ever. Having looked at the leagues, I don't think we have much chance of the qualifiers regardless - but hoping for an emphatic victory tonight. :aok:

Ringothedog
04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
This is how it is decided

1.Points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss)
2.Overall goal difference
3.Overall goals scored
4.Points in matches between tied teams
5.Goal difference in matches between tied teams
6.Goals scored in matches between tied teams
7.Away goals scored in matches between tied teams (if the tie is only between two teams in home-and-away league format)
8.Fair play points first yellow card: minus 1 point
indirect red card (second yellow card): minus 3 points
direct red card: minus 4 points
yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points

9.Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 01:06 PM
If the results go right for Scotland tonight that will be an epic few days in early October with a home game with Slovakia and an away game in Slovenia and wins needed in both. Two potentially cracking games.

lord bunberry
04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
I just wish we could start our qualifying campaigns better. We always seem to finish strongly in our groups.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Goal difference at the moment is Slovakia +9, Scotland +2 so a bit of work to do on that. So ideally Scotland could do with banging a few in tonight.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
assuming all results go our way tonight can i be first in the waiting list for tickets for the game v slovakia, ta :)

IGRIGI
04-09-2017, 01:15 PM
From what I've read if it comes down to goal difference it won't matter anyway as we're likely to be the worst runner-up.

SteveHFC
04-09-2017, 01:20 PM
On my way to my first Scotland game ever. Having looked at the leagues, I don't think we have much chance of the qualifiers regardless - but hoping for an emphatic victory tonight. :aok:

Enjoy mate.

I'm currently on my way through the now. Buzzing. :hyper

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 01:20 PM
From what I've read if it comes down to goal difference it won't matter anyway as we're likely to be the worst runner-up.

If Scotland win their remaining three games they wont be the worse runner up.

danhibees1875
04-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Enjoy mate.

I'm currently on my way through the now. Buzzing. :hyper

Just in case it's rubbish I'm on my way through with enough time to get to Wetherspoons for a couple hours at least. :greengrin

SJNB Hibby
04-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Or get 3 early goals and sub 3 of them---esp Leigh

WeeRussell
04-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Only when they involve Scotland though... :wink:

Hibster
04-09-2017, 01:47 PM
If Scotland win their remaining three games they wont be the worse runner up.

Could be pretty tight though, for whoever finishes 2nd in our group...of all the current 2nd place teams, only Bosnia are guaranteed to finish with not more than 20 points - and they've got a much stronger gd

Vault Boy
04-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Looking forward to the game tonight after the impressive display against Lithuania. Cheering on England will be a strange experience.

Paul Hanlon > All CBs in the Scotland squad btw. Liam Lindsay is a better option than Berra.

Keith_M
04-09-2017, 01:56 PM
So in the statistically unlikely event we do maange to finish second, we also need to have more points than some other second placed team and then we STILL have to win a play-off to qualify?

Jeezo, I don't think I'll bother looking up the price of flights to Russia for next year then.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Could be pretty tight though, for whoever finishes 2nd in our group...of all the current 2nd place teams, only Bosnia are guaranteed to finish with not more than 20 points - and they've got a much stronger gd

Yes but thats taking the view that everyone else in the hunt takes maximum points, which of course is possible but I would have thought very unlikely looking at the remaining fixtures. If Scotland win their 3 matches they will make the play offs.

Why am I talking up Scotlands chances? :greengrin On top of that we've got Scots wanting England to win tonight, the worlds gone mad i tell yer.

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2017, 02:03 PM
So in the statistically unlikely event we do maange to finish second, we also need to have more points than some other second placed team and then we STILL have to win a play-off to qualify?

Jeezo, I don't think I'll bother looking up the price of flights to Russia for next year then.

Here's the current state of play of the runners-up, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Current_stage_.2 8first_round.29

Given where we are just now, ie at the bottom end with 8 points, 3 wins (only 2 of which would count) would have us in the mix.

And I'd take Northern Ireland in the play-offs.....:greengrin

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 02:08 PM
And for the absolute footy addicts dont forget the very appetizing Hors d'oeuvre starting at 5. The choice of Armenia v Denmark or Azerbaijan v San Marino both on Sky.

Scottie
04-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to the game tonight after the impressive display against Lithuania. Cheering on England will be a strange experience.
:agree: Enjoyed the performance on Friday night, more of the same tonight and it keeps it interesting.

Never thought I'd hear myself say it but hope Engerland win by at least 5 tonight. Must be getting auld and senile. :greengrin

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 02:46 PM
:agree: Enjoyed the performance on Friday night, more of the same tonight and it keeps it interesting.

Never thought I'd hear myself say it but hope Engerland win by at least 5 tonight. Must be getting auld and senile. :greengrin

Yep could do with England rolling them over and hopefully Slovakia losing the plot and getting a couple of players sent off.

Smartie
04-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Yep could do with England rolling them over and hopefully Slovakia losing the plot and getting a couple of players sent off.

Did they not do that in the first game against England?

I seem to remember Skrtel going loco, losing the place and leaving his team a man down for a long spell.

I also remember being vexed that Slovakia didn't hold out for a better result than they got. I've changed my mind on that one now.

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Did they not do that in the first game against England?

I seem to remember Skrtel going loco, losing the place and leaving his team a man down for a long spell.

I also remember being vexed that Slovakia didn't hold out for a better result than they got. I've changed my mind on that one now.

Yes he did he was also suspended in Fridays game v Slovenia. I think Mak and Skriniar are on a booking and hopefully pick up another one tonight, Mak is a decent player.

The Pointer
04-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Want to watch the game but I'm in Liverpool for a few days so not sure where I'll be able to watch it. Any suggestions?

I followed Scotland abroad for years but my last trip was Georgia two years ago. I had a great two weeks there and in Armenia but I'm afraid the result did it for me and I felt the Tartan Army were getting stale (and old!).

Despite this, I know I'll be back sometime.

EdinMike
04-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Here's the current state of play of the runners-up, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Current_stage_.2 8first_round.29

Given where we are just now, ie at the bottom end with 8 points, 3 wins (only 2 of which would count) would have us in the mix.

And I'd take Northern Ireland in the play-offs.....:greengrin

I wouldn't. They seem more organised than us ! Laugherty aside.

Albanian Hibs
04-09-2017, 03:41 PM
assuming all results go our way tonight can i be first in the waiting list for tickets for the game v slovakia, ta :)

I got 2 tickets online for East F1 on Saturday. Plenty left.

Firestarter
04-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't. They seem more organised than us ! Laugherty aside.

We would pump NI.

Billy Whizz
04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Same team as Friday

Firestarter
04-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Same team as Friday

Great news.

SteveHFC
04-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Just in case it's rubbish I'm on my way through with enough time to get to Wetherspoons for a couple hours at least. :greengrin

Currently in the beechwood pub. Drinks over priced :hyper

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 05:46 PM
I got 2 tickets online for East F1 on Saturday. Plenty left.

are you in the SSC ? can folk not registered get tickets ?just looking at joining the club the now= £55, i can't see in the details but is a member able to buy two tickets if the other is not a member ? i've a feeling my english bro in law might fancy a wee tipple or three in the weedge :)

Billy Whizz
04-09-2017, 05:49 PM
are you in the SSC ? can folk not registered get tickets ?just looking at joining the club the now= £55, i can't see in the details but is a member able to buy two tickets if the other is not a member ? i've a feeling my english bro in law might fancy a wee tipple or three in the weedge :)

Anyone can buy now

Golden Bear
04-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Whitty injured?

Firestarter
04-09-2017, 05:50 PM
How many fans expected tonight? Hopefully a big crowd behind us!

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Anyone can buy now

cool, ta B

1van Sprou7e
04-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Tin hat on here but Berra is far better than some people on here seem to beleive

Nevi_SOL
04-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Tin hat on here but Berra is far better than some people on here seem to beleive

Na

Phil MaGlass
04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
God help us. Berra. Yir havin a laugh

rodhibs55
04-09-2017, 06:22 PM
As others have said, I find it odd that someone would come onto a thread about Scotland v Malta and state "couldn't give a XYZ" about it.

It's the same whether you start a thread about the Champions League or the English Premiership. If you're not interested, then please don't post. Many who are interested, are not interested in your "couldn't give a XYZ" post.

Anyway back on topic "C'mon Scotland".:saltireflag:saltireflag

Totally Agree
C"'mon Scotland get right intae them.

Souter96Mac
04-09-2017, 06:23 PM
He looked in quite decent condition against lithuania

Billy Whizz
04-09-2017, 06:24 PM
God help us. Berra. Yir havin a laugh

We're all Scottish tonight, no divisions

Smartie
04-09-2017, 06:32 PM

He's not, but I still wouldn't swap him for McGregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, Porteous or Fontaine.

JohnMcM
04-09-2017, 06:33 PM
We're all Scottish tonight, no divisions

Totally agree with this.

'mon Scotland!

And, if I may, at the risk of having my tin riddled with ridicule,,,,,,,,,, Please play well and win you folks south of the border.

:saltireflag

SRHibs
04-09-2017, 06:35 PM
He's not, but I still wouldn't swap him for McGregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, Porteous or Fontaine.

Honestly, if he wasn't a Hearts **** I would take him. Definitely ahead of McG, Porteous (based on current skill not potential), and Fonts.

Hope we put a few past them tonight. Need to go into the next fixture with our heads held high!

gogsy23
04-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Not many of the Celtic contingent singing the national anthem

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 06:49 PM
England 1 down.

iwasthere1972
04-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Typical. Terrible defending by the English.

Greenwich_Hibby
04-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Not many of the Celtic contingent singing the national anthem

So sad and it says all I need to know about that club - every bit as bad as their ugly sister - fair play to Griff and Armstrong - the rest too keen to appease those unwashed in the East End.

Anyway enough of them - 'mon Scotland......

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 06:50 PM
slovakia score :rolleyes:

theonlywayisup
04-09-2017, 06:52 PM
C'mon England

I feel dirty now.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-09-2017, 06:54 PM
£36 a ticket for a monday night game vs Malta has got the crowd it deserves.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 06:55 PM
yas :thumbsup: berra is brilliant

tartanhibee
1-0 berra

SJNB Hibby
Yessss!

theonlywayisup
04-09-2017, 06:56 PM
C'mon England

I feel dirty now.

C'mon Berra

I feel extremely dirty.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Wembley only about 2/3 full too.

Bad screw up from young Rashford for the goal

04-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Brown better not do anything daft and get himself booked. Sub McGinn for him if we get to 3 up.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 06:59 PM
ram yer union jack radio ads :)

IGRIGI
04-09-2017, 07:02 PM
England have 23% possession.... Boxing matches would be under threat of a white towel being thrown in at this point...

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 07:02 PM
England are honking.

sleeping giant
04-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Can't get it out our half just now.

Corner Malta

Bristolhibby
04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
So sad and it says all I need to know about that club - every bit as bad as their ugly sister - fair play to Griff and Armstrong - the rest too keen to appease those unwashed in the East End.

Anyway enough of them - 'mon Scotland......

Off the top of my head, Brown and Sparky have never sung FOS. Including when Brown was playing for Hibs.

J

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Come on the world superstars. Use some of the hundreds of millions of talent and stop fannying around against Slovakia

Hibs1972
04-09-2017, 07:09 PM
England are honking.
As long as they get a draw,still in our hands as long as we beat them at Hampden.

1van Sprou7e
04-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Berra is the best CB in the league

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 07:14 PM
I had a feeling England would **** it all up. C'mon Dell Alli ffs :grr:

heretoday
04-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Strange for the Maltesers not to be well organised in the box. :a bite:

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Strange for the Maltesers not to be well organised in the box. :a bite:

They look a bit lightweight in the centre :agree:

heretoday
04-09-2017, 07:17 PM
They look a bit lightweight in the centre :agree:

We should have this wrapped up by half-time.

Mon Dieu4
04-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Berra is the best CB in the league

:faf: I hope thats irony, he's slower than a week in jail and canny wait to get rid of the ball when it's at his feet, I wouldn't swap Hanlon or McGregor for him, Murray and Stokes will run rings round him

green day
04-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Provan "Tierney has done amazing on the right side" what a slavering erse he is.

04-09-2017, 07:20 PM
England have progressed from being a bunch of twats to a bunch of utterly useless twats.

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Yaaas. Feels so wrong

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 07:22 PM
England 1-1

iwasthere1972
:thumbsup:

Come on the twats.

Berra climbing on the defender's shoulders, just like he did with his goal.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
that was never a foul by philips

heretoday
Berra can't head straight. He should have had a hattrick by now.

green day
Berra climbing on the defenders shoulders, just like he did with his goal.

Nothing wrong with either, defender is weak and Berra doing the right thing. He could get another.

sleeping giant
04-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Need a bit of urgency . It feels like watching a training match.
I could even hear the Malta fan singing :greengrin

Golden Bear
04-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Come on Scotland ffs. Let's show a bit of urgency, the game has degenerated into walking football.

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Engerlund nana I knew they'd come good:cb

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 07:32 PM
heard forests name mentioned...twice

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 07:33 PM
England 1-1 at half time. Bad start for England and couldnt get a kick for 20 minutes. Got on top as the half wore on. Not a bad game be surprised if it finished 1-1. N.ireland going well, 2 up.

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 07:34 PM
:faf: I hope thats irony, he's slower than a week in jail and canny wait to get rid of the ball when it's at his feet, I wouldn't swap Hanlon or McGregor for him, Murray and Stokes will run rings round him

The best thing he's done in his career is being banjoed by Stephen Fletcher after the ball had gone. 2006?

heretoday
04-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Oh no. Slivka and Big Dave are losing to Slovenia.

04-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Nothing wrong with either, defender is weak and Berra doing the right thing. He could get another.

Won't be happy if he does it in the derby and scores.

Lago
04-09-2017, 07:41 PM
:top marks
:thumbsup:

Come on the twats.

Sammy7nil
04-09-2017, 07:43 PM

If he does our CH will get slaughtered their defender was flat footed and never challanged at all.

1van Sprou7e
04-09-2017, 07:48 PM

I won't be happy because if that happens then it's a pitiful effort form our defender

SJNB Hibby
04-09-2017, 07:52 PM
super-Leigh!!!!

1van Sprou7e
04-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Sparky's gonna win the world cup for us

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Get SJM on before Broony gets booked...

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Slovakia taring England to pieces

Tyler Durden
04-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Davie Provan talking absolute sh%te on the offside law and then failing to even comment on a red card offence by Scott Brown. Peak Provan

Armstrong and Robertson look top class

Dinkydoo
04-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Can't help but think McGinn or Henderson would be a better choice in the middle of the park than any of our CMs right now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
04-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Davie Provan talking absolute sh%te on the offside law and then failing to even comment on a red card offence by Scott Brown. Peak Provan

"Red card offence" haha alright then son

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Woo! 2-1

iwasthere1972
04-09-2017, 08:01 PM
2-1 For the Twats.

:aok:

Lancs Harp
Slovakia taring England to pieces

What the hell are you watching:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
Rashford makes amends 2-1

Tyler Durden
"Red card offence" haha alright then son

Kicked the guy when on the deck - could easily have been a red. He can't keep the head, never learns

hibee-boys
Can't help but think McGinn or Henderson would be a better choice in the middle of the park than any of our CMs right now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yip, other than backwards/sideways passes and kicking the occasional player I don't see what Brown offers.

heretoday
04-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Great goal by Rashford.

hibsbollah
04-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Not good enough for Liverpool, though:rolleyes:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-09-2017, 08:16 PM
What the hell are you watching:greengrin

Better being lucky than good... :greengrin

weecounty hibby
04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Forrest is having a stinker tonight. Should take Brown of before he gets booked

Jim44
04-09-2017, 08:20 PM
I can see Slovakia getting an equaliser if England don't get the finger out.

GordonHFC
04-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Forrest is having a stinker tonight. Should take Brown of before he gets booked

Forrest would be nowhere near the Scotland squad if he didnt play for Celtic.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Broonys a burst couch. SJM time.......

1875Sean
04-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Scotland have already used all three subs

mentalhibee
04-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Used all our subs.

Tomsk
04-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Three subs have been used ... but I suppose if you ask nicely. :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 08:31 PM
you would think we were playing italy here jeezo

Speedway
04-09-2017, 08:32 PM
We're bang average apart from Robertson.

cabbageandribs1875
don't think i've ever saw scott brown give the ball away so much in a game

HH81
Robertson far and away Scotland's best player.

cabbageandribs1875
04-09-2017, 08:34 PM
has forest got naked photos of strachan

weecounty hibby
04-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Played really well on Friday but tonight hasn't been so good. Suppose the result is the thing that matters though.

Betty Boop
04-09-2017, 08:36 PM
What a borefest that was.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 08:37 PM
malta arent the easiest team in the world to play against, certainly very difficult to look good against.
England job done, made a poor start but were half decent at the end. 2-1

Onion
04-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Good results tonight - all that matters. Play offs now back in Scotland's hands. Who would have thunk that ?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Three subs have been used ... but I suppose if you ask nicely. :wink:

:greengrin ah, that missed me by I must admit!

Big_Franck
04-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Job done. It was never going to be easy tonight, Malta only lost 2-0 at Wembley as well. England doing us a favour now means it's in our own hands. Win the last 2 games and we are in the World Cup play-off. Easy :greengrin

Mr White
04-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Good results tonight - all that matters. Play offs now back in Scotland's hands. Who would have thunk that ?

Not entirely? If ever a slot was custom ****ing designed for Scotland then the 9th best 2nd placed finish has to be it.

JimBHibees
04-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Didn't we realise that goal difference could be a factor. Seemed incredibly negative last 20 especially when Martin was on up front.

Lago
04-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Slipped down to 4th on goal diff. Thats what it could come down to at the finish.

Billy Whizz
04-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Didn't we realise that goal difference could be a factor. Seemed incredibly negative last 20 especially when Martin was on up front.

I thought results against bottom team didn't count?

Big_Franck
04-09-2017, 08:48 PM

I don't think it will be a factor. Win the last 2 games and we finish 2nd regardless of goal difference. Drop any points now and if we somehow still finished second we'd almost certainly be the worst placed 2nd team anyway.

Hiber-nation
04-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Job done but Scott Brown's performance was absolutely dreadful. And every time the ball went to Tierney on his wrong side it just went backwards.

Would have liked to have seen Ryan Fraser getting a chance. I know it's difficult for wingers when there are sometimes 3 men on you but surely couldn't have been as poor as Forrest or Phillips.

Anyway roll on October.

Mr White
04-09-2017, 08:49 PM
I don't think it will be a factor. Win the last 2 games and we finish 2nd regardless of goal difference. Drop any points now and if we somehow still finished second we'd almost certainly be the worst placed 2nd team anyway.

Presumably goal difference could be a factor in deciding the only runner up who won't compete in the playoffs though?

Bishop Hibee
04-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Job done. Still in our hands. Hopefully a full house v Slovakia.

Golden Bear
04-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Couldn't understand that either. Being content with a 2-0 victory was a strange one.

erin go bragh
04-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Slipped down to 4th on goal diff. Thats what it could come down to at the finish.

Not if we win our last two games . It's all in our own hands now .

hibbysam
04-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Presumably goal difference could be a factor in deciding the only runner up who won't compete in the playoffs though?

Our results vs Malta would then be null and void.

frazeHFC
04-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Perfect night. The last 30 of our game was extremely boring but we got the job done. On to the last 2 with it in our hands.

Mr White
04-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Right enough :aok:

Big_Franck
04-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Yeah, maybe actually. I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves though. Need to win the next one against Slovakia which will be a really difficult game.

IGRIGI
If we win both games as we need to goal difference doesn't mean Jack ****.

Lancs Harp

I dont think thats true. As posted earlier matches against the bottom team were discarded in past qualifiers in the days when some groups had 5 teams in them and some had 6 teams. In this qualifying all groups have 6 teams in them so no need for some groups to discard matches against the bottom club.

heretoday
04-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Now back to the real thing at the weekend thank God.

Mr White
04-09-2017, 08:57 PM
I dont think thats true. As posted earlier matches against the bottom team were discarded in past qualifiers in the days when some groups had 5 teams in them and some had 6 teams. In this qualifying all groups have 6 teams in them so no need for some groups to discard matches against the bottom club.

They were talking on sky there about NI's points v San Marino being discounted when deciding who makes the 8 playoff spots.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Beat Slovakia and Slovenia and the play off spot is ours.

What could possibly go wrong?

IGRIGI
04-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Btw if you read the wiki page for qualification UEFA confirmed that even after the admission of Kosovo and Gibraltar the deduction of results vs the bottom teams still stands,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 09:01 PM

It definitely is true.

Kosovo and Gibraltar weren't part of UEFA when the draw got made but UEFA decided to stick with the old rule for this campaign despite all groups now having six teams.

All results against the sixth placed teams are discounted for the play off spot.

Lago
04-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Not if we win our last two games . It's all in our own hands now .
True but we need to up our game, a lot of that match was laboured & slow, slow build up.

Jim44
04-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Yeah, maybe actually. I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves though. Need to win the next one against Slovakia which will be a really difficult game.

:agree: Their close passing was excellent tonight. Technically superior to us and they've already taken care of us at home. We've no reason to be remotely confident of a result but you never know.

Pete
04-09-2017, 09:09 PM
:agree: Their close passing was excellent tonight. Technically superior to us and they've already taken care of us at home. We've no reason to be remotely confident of a result but you never know.

They'll rip us apart if we give them an inch of space. They played really well in patches tonight.

Lancs Harp
04-09-2017, 09:17 PM
It definitely is true.

Kosovo and Gibraltar weren't part of UEFA when the draw got made but UEFA decided to stick with the old rule for this campaign despite all groups now having six teams.

All results against the sixth placed teams are discounted for the play off spot.

Oh didnt realise that, wonder why they kept it tsame seeing as the discarding of the results against the bottom club was brought because of unequal numbers of teams across the groups. Should suit Scotland if thats the case, some of the bottom clubs have had some right hammerings Im sure greater than the +6 GD Scotland have earned agaisnt Malta.

Speedy
04-09-2017, 09:20 PM

It could play a part in deciding who finishes second but if we finish 2nd we're guaranteed a play off place.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 09:22 PM
It could play a part in deciding who finishes second but if we finish 2nd we're guaranteed a play off place.

Have you done some maths to come to that conclusion?

There is one second placed team that won't qualify for the play offs.

Speedy
04-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Have you done some maths to come to that conclusion?

There is one second placed team that won't qualify for the play offs.

I did but I ballsed it up. We can indeed finish 9th runner up, 1 point behind Greece.

Edit: My mistake was using Slovakia's 12 points as a starting point but that's from 7 games, not 6.

gogsy23
04-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Off the top of my head, Brown and Sparky have never sung FOS. Including when Brown was playing for Hibs.

J

Griffiths was singing it tonight!

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 09:31 PM
I did but I ballsed it up. We can indeed finish 9th runner up, 1 point behind Greece.

Edit: My mistake was using Slovakia's 12 points as a starting point but that's from 7 games, not 6.

Haha no worries I wasn't sure if you were aware that there was one runner up who didn't qualify for the play offs!

bongo'd
04-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Beat Slovakia and Slovenia and the play off spot is ours.

What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. We'll then draw Italy though. Nap!!

Sir David Gray
04-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Nothing. We'll then draw Italy though. Nap!!

Guaranteed.

I don't think we'll qualify personally but it would be nice if we could prolong our interest a little bit more.

Finishing second may also help us in the draw for Euro 2020.

Nicho87
04-09-2017, 09:42 PM
There's a few teams in second place I reckon Scotland could take. But a few who I think we might get absolutely tanked from. Still one game at a time

mca
04-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Guaranteed.

I don't think we'll qualify personally but it would be nice if we could prolong our interest a little bit more.

Finishing second may also help us in the draw for Euro 2020.

Can only see us getting a Point against Slovakia.. i Hope for 3 ..

Hibby70
04-09-2017, 09:47 PM
So we are hoping Ireland and Wales drop points tomorrow.

SteveHFC
04-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Good result tonight. Slovakia game next month is our biggest game since Poland at home 2 years ago.

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Context. £36 was the average for the 5 home qualifiers. Initially it was £17 an adult for East and west. This went up to £20 as the game got closer. £27 for north and south I believe. Kids for a fiver was a great idea as we took ours.

I did however pay over £50 for the England match and over £30 for the slov and Lithuania ties

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Not a great performance but we got the 3 points and that's all that matters. 2 down. 2 to go.

Cany see what Scott Brown or James Forrest bring to the table. Matt Ritchie must be sitting on the bench laughing away!

Strachan is such a knob when he's being interviewed!

Haymaker
04-09-2017, 11:49 PM
With Berra and Mulgrew at CH, we'll do well to beat Slovakia.

SteveHFC
05-09-2017, 12:13 AM

We'll beat Slovakia without any issues :hyper

--------
05-09-2017, 01:02 AM

If those two and Hanley are the best centre-backs available to Scotland, we're in a truly terrible place right now.

That was the worst 90 minutes of football I've seen on TV for a very long time.

There were better games in the Championship (the Scottish one) last season - and I'm not talking about the ones involving Hibs. :bitchy:

SRHibs
05-09-2017, 03:11 AM
What an overreaction. That wasn't amazing but it was about as comfortable as it gets. We didn't need to put 10 goals past them, just winning is fine. We had a great performance vs Lithuania and England, so we do have it in our locker.

Berra seems fine to me. I suspect if he wasn't a Jambo there wouldn't be much issue with him.

With Tierney, Robertson, Griffiths, Armstrong etc. we've got some real good players.

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 06:13 AM
What an overreaction. That wasn't amazing but it was about as comfortable as it gets. We didn't need to put 10 goals past them, just winning is fine. We had a great performance vs Lithuania and England, so we do have it in our locker.

Berra seems fine to me. I suspect if he wasn't a Jambo there wouldn't be much issue with him.

With Tierney, Robertson, Griffiths, Armstrong etc. we've got some real good players.

Tend to agree thought Berra was fine. It was pretty dull however as you say was very comfortable and myself included didnt realise that goals against Malta are not relevant to second place position. Another consideration was the game on Friday on an artificial surface plus the travelling involved will have taken some of the energy from the players.

hibbysam
05-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Tend to agree thought Berra was fine. It was pretty dull however as you say was very comfortable and myself included didnt realise that goals against Malta are not relevant to second place position. Another consideration was the game on Friday on an artificial surface plus the travelling involved will have taken some of the energy from the players.

Berra is fine as long as the ball is planted on his noggin all night. Issue for me is when someone gets running at him. On Friday he should've given away a penalty, novikovas turned him inside out and missed a sitter at 0-0 and his mistake led to Slivka missing a great chance. Last night he nearly lobbed gordon from the half way line. Unfortunately against England one wee bit of movement made the equaliser.

I'm just gutted we didn't defend that two minutes properly giant England and we'd be challenging them for the top spot!

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Here is how second place ranking works.

Ranking of second-placed teams

At the time of the draw, groups H and I had one team fewer than the other groups so it was announced that matches against the last-placed team in each of the six-team groups would not be included in the ranking of the second-placed teams. UEFA has confirmed that, even after the admission of Kosovo and Gibraltar and with all groups now containing six teams, this regulation has not changed and matches against the sixth-placed team in all groups will still be discarded. As a result, only eight matches played by each team will be counted in the second-placed table.

The eight best runners-up are determined by the following parameters, in this order:

Highest number of points
Goal difference
Highest number of goals scored

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Berra is fine as long as the ball is planted on his noggin all night. Issue for me is when someone gets running at him. On Friday he should've given away a penalty, novikovas turned him inside out and missed a sitter at 0-0 and his mistake led to Slivka missing a great chance. Last night he nearly lobbed gordon from the half way line. Unfortunately against England one wee bit of movement made the equaliser.

I'm just gutted we didn't defend that two minutes properly giant England and we'd be challenging them for the top spot!

No way was he the most culpable for the England equaliser Gordon could have walked out and picked the ball up given Kane scored from inside the 6 yard box. A huge 2 points given away. You can also look at Gordon for the first goal where he bizarrely dived out the way of the ball. We are well lacking at centre half that is for sure. Also thought it really odd that Hanley a right footed player played on left hand of the centre back while Berra a left footed centre back stayed right side.

CorrieHibs
05-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Not a great performance but we got the 3 points and that's all that matters. 2 down. 2 to go.

Cany see what Scott Brown or James Forrest bring to the table. Matt Ritchie must be sitting on the bench laughing away!

Strachan is such a knob when he's being interviewed!

I'll agree with Forrest, however Brown brings loads to the table. Steady performance last night and was in second gear.

offshorehibby
05-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Had a notion to come out of International retirement and go to the Scotland/Slovakia game, until i got to checkout and they wanted £85 for 2 North stand tickets. Looks like Tamsons Bar will be getting some of that instead now.

Albanian Hibs
05-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Had a notion to come out of International retirement and go to the Scotland/Slovakia game, until i got to checkout and they wanted £85 for 2 North stand tickets. Looks like Tamsons Bar will be getting some of that instead now.

I paid £60 + £5 fees for 2 adults in F1. Was there for cup final and views just as good

number9dream
05-09-2017, 08:32 AM

Results against Malta DO count in determining who finishes second in the group. They DON'T count when assessing the nine runners-up for the eight play-off places.

If we take a huge leap of faith and predict six points from the final double-header, Scotland are on 20 points (minus 6 points and the +6 goal difference). So that would be 14 points and a level GD if the wins are by a one-goal margin.

In Group H, the best Greece can do is 13 points after the count back. Bosnia can get to 14 but would need to beat Belgium at home and Estonia away. Ireland and Wales are also vulnerable but both could still win their group. If we don't win both games but beat or draw with Slovakia, then they would be in trouble.

Just to make it harder still for Scotland, the play-offs will then be seeded, with Portugal or Switzerland, Sweden or France, Italy & Norn Ireland the top ranked teams.

Speedy
05-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Results against Malta DO count in determining who finishes second in the group. They DON'T count when assessing the nine runners-up for the eight play-off places.

If we take a huge leap of faith and predict six points from the final double-header, Scotland are on 20 points (minus 6 points and the +6 goal difference). So that would be 14 points and a level GD if the wins are by a one-goal margin.

In Group H, the best Greece can do is 13 points after the count back. Bosnia can get to 14 but would need to beat Belgium at home and Estonia away. Ireland and Wales are also vulnerable but both could still win their group. If we don't win both games but beat or draw with Slovakia, then they would be in trouble.

Just to make it harder still for Scotland, the play-offs will then be seeded, with Portugal or Switzerland, Sweden or France, Italy & Norn Ireland the top ranked teams.

Has that been confirmed yet? They seem to make it up as they go along.

--------
05-09-2017, 08:57 AM

If you say so ....

number9dream
05-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Has that been confirmed yet? They seem to make it up as they go along.

That was an assumption on my part because the previous play-offs have been seeded but you're right to question the madness behind the method. A straight draw would be much better.

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 09:32 AM
That was an assumption on my part because the previous play-offs have been seeded but you're right to question the madness behind the method. A straight draw would be much better.

Fair assumption I think given the last ones were especially with Italy pretty certain to be in it.

Lancs Harp
05-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Right tin hat time for me. I see a few posts about how well Scotland played against the generally much maligned England. Really? Take LGs great free kicks out of the equation and Scotland produced very little. Possession was 61%-39% to England, Shots 16-8 England, shots on target 9-3 England. Sorry but didnt think Scotland were that good. Spirited maybe.

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Right tin hat time for me. I see a few posts about how well Scotland played against the generally much maligned England. Really? Take LGs great free kicks out of the equation and Scotland produced very little. Possession was 61%-39% to England, Shots 16-8 England, shots on target 9-3 England. Sorry but didnt think Scotland were that good. Spirited maybe.:not worth

Agree dont think we were that good either neither were England however we contrived to blow a win with an even by Scottish standards calamitous goal in injury time.

Smartie
05-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Right tin hat time for me. I see a few posts about how well Scotland played against the generally much maligned England. Really? Take LGs great free kicks out of the equation and Scotland produced very little. Possession was 61%-39% to England, Shots 16-8 England, shots on target 9-3 England. Sorry but didnt think Scotland were that good. Spirited maybe.:not worth

Fair points.

But you have to take the context of the game into consideration.

England are a far bigger country, have a far bigger and stronger squad of players and have a superb qualifying record (i.e. beating wee teams). It's not reasonable to expect Scotland to dominate such a game.

What would be reasonable would be for Scotland to come up with a game plan and execute it to pretty decent effect. Scotland largely snuffed the game out, didn't make too many mistakes and had a set piece threat at the other end.

In that context, Scotland did well. If they hadn't, they might have lost 4 or 5 nil.

We have every right to be happy with the England home game. We were well and truly picked off at Wembley. We were awful in Slovakia and mediocre at home to Lithuania.

California-Hibs
05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
If those two and Hanley are the best centre-backs available to Scotland, we're in a truly terrible place right now.

That was the worst 90 minutes of football I've seen on TV for a very long time.

There were better games in the Championship (the Scottish one) last season - and I'm not talking about the ones involving Hibs. :bitchy:

Behave!!! The most important thing was the win. It was too easy for Scotland and we played in first gear ffs. There's a good amount of quality in the squad and we've showed the doubters that perfectly well in the last 4 games.

Onwards and upwards.

hibbysam
05-09-2017, 09:50 AM
No way was he the most culpable for the England equaliser Gordon could have walked out and picked the ball up given Kane scored from inside the 6 yard box. A huge 2 points given away. You can also look at Gordon for the first goal where he bizarrely dived out the way of the ball. We are well lacking at centre half that is for sure. Also thought it really odd that Hanley a right footed player played on left hand of the centre back while Berra a left footed centre back stayed right side.

I never said he was the most culpable, I agree Armstrong and Gordon were at fault, however it showed what a little movement in and around the box can do against this pair. Plant the ball on Berra's brew and he'll win the header, run at him or run off him and he will either foul you or struggle big time to deal with it.

--------
05-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Behave!!! The most important thing was the win. It was too easy for Scotland and we played in first gear ffs. There's a good amount of quality in the squad and we've showed the doubters that perfectly well in the last 4 games.

Onwards and upwards.

I appreciate the point about the win, and I concede that the attacking options have improved.

But heaven help those centre-backs when they come up against a half-decent striker whose midfield mates know how to play the ball through to him. They were all over the place last night. I've seen milk turn faster than them.

WeeRussell
05-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I appreciate the point about the win, and I concede that the attacking options have improved.

But heaven help those centre-backs when they come up against a half-decent striker whose midfield mates know how to play the ball through to him. They were all over the place last night. I've seen milk turn faster than them.

Centre half position remains an ongoing concern and there is room for improvement elsewhere obviously. But last night was all about the results (ours and England's) meaning we are still in the hunt to play against these 'half-decent strikers' you speak of.

Job done and look forward to the next test.

SteveHFC
05-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Forrest has to be dropped for the next 2 games. He offers **** all to the team.

WeeRussell
05-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Yeah I'd like to think our team will stay largely the same as this past week, but hopefully someone in ahead of Forrest. He became more involved in the second half but still very little end product and we can definitely do better. Didn't think it really happened for Phillips last night either, though he had a decent enough game in Lithuania.

Armstrong and Robertson were the main men.

Hopefully we can do the business against Slovakia, but also keep the very important players on bookings out of trouble as well!

Lancs Harp
05-09-2017, 11:37 AM
When Scotland play Slovakia just play to your strengths and not theirs. They are comfortable on the ball and technicially good, pretty pretty if you like but there isnt always or I would go as far as saying isnt very often an end product. Be patient, dont chase shadows, be tight where you need to be tight. Where Slovakia are weak is probably where Scotland are strong, be aggressive, play at a high tempo and move the ball forward relatively quickly. Should be two very interesting games coming up for Scotland.

Smartie
05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
The centre halves and goalkeeper are very very poor. I don't think they're anywhere near International class and as a result I don't think we can adopt a defensive mindset. In previous years we could rely on our defence, soak up pressure and just manage to nick one goal. As has been pointed out, any semi-credible midfielder and striker with decent movement will relish playing our defence. I can't wait to see Boyle, Murray and Stokes running around Berra.

We do have a lot of talent going forward though. Griffiths staying fit is a must, and if anyone could manage to steal James Forrest's Strachan nudie pics then that would also help.

I really like Matt Phillips. He might also be key.

--------
05-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Him too - awful. :agree:

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Couldn't agree more and yet Provan was coming out with comments about him having a great time at the moment. Dont see it, hugely frustrating and doesnt offer much. Hoping Burke can kick on and make that position his own though not sure how much game tie he will get at Baggies.

SteveHFC
05-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Yeah I'd like to think our team will stay largely the same as this past week, but hopefully someone in ahead of Forrest. He became more involved in the second half but still very little end product and we can definitely do better. Didn't think it really happened for Phillips last night either, though he had a decent enough game in Lithuania.

Armstrong and Robertson were the main men.

Hopefully we can do the business against Slovakia, but also keep the very important players on bookings out of trouble as well!

Gordon

Tierney, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson

Brown, Armstrong

Fraser, Burke, Phillips

Griffiths

That would be my team for the Slovakia game.

Souter96Mac
05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Gordon

Tierney, Berra, Mulgrew, Robertson

Brown, Armstrong

Fraser, Burke, Phillips

Griffiths

That would be my team for the Slovakia game.

Whilst Burke sounds like a good prospect, I'm not sure he's done a great deal at the moment to be picked Imo. I think Armstrong is best in behind the striker, and although I don't really rate the likes of McArthur too highly, keeping him and Brown in the middle would give us a bit of experience and potentially a bit more solid in defence. Like the look of Fraser, and would also chuck in Ritchie well before Forrest.

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I'll agree with Forrest, however Brown brings loads to the table. Steady performance last night and was in second gear.

Agree Brown is a standout and hugely important.

patlowe
05-09-2017, 12:41 PM
I personally would prefer Ritchie to Forrest - he is a real goal threat and has been very effective for Scotland, so I'm not sure why he's no longer being picked. I guess Forrest has pace and, when you look at lot of the options we have, maybe Strachan sees the future of the team as being along those lines. Plus there's the Celtic thing (confidence, winning mentality etc) that seems to be the cliche du jour at the moment.

I thought Phillips looked dangerous. Things didn't really come off for him last night but you can see what he can potentially bring to the table.

Re Slovakia, I thought when we played them they looked awful for half an hour and we looked really comfortable. We obviously capitulated after losing the first goal but I saw enough to think Strachan will have a plan for breaking them down.

I reckon we'll just miss out on the playoffs but there is quite a lot to be positive about. The full backs are outstanding, the midfield is pretty dynamic and we have pace and goals in attacking areas. However, the centre half situation is chronic and qualification will always be a mammoth ask until we find a long term solution to that problem.

Aldo
05-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Robertson again proved what a very good player he was. My MOTM followed by Tierney.

The problem last night was we go dragged into how they wanted to play. A bit more composure up top at times and it could have been 3 or 4.

Griffiths does way too much work out with the final 3rd and at times when a good ball was played in no one was there.

Berra and Mulgrew did ok but they will struggle against any sort of pace.

It beggars belief how Hanley can get a game she he hasn't kicked a ball for quite a while.

It's going to be tough against the Slovaks in a winnable game.

Speedy
05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Whilst Burke sounds like a good prospect, I'm not sure he's done a great deal at the moment to be picked Imo. I think Armstrong is best in behind the striker, and although I don't really rate the likes of McArthur too highly, keeping him and Brown in the middle would give us a bit of experience and potentially a bit more solid in defence. Like the look of Fraser, and would also chuck in Ritchie well before Forrest.

Agreed. Can't see what Burke has done to merit being in the squad, nevermind starting.

cammy1969
05-09-2017, 05:21 PM
I can't see him being as open in next games as last 2, if all fit I think he I'll swap forrest for Morrison as he seems to like Morrison. Wouldn't be my choice for me the game is make for a mcginn type player in the middle with brown and MacArthur someone who will work hard and put his foot in and has a good work ethic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
05-09-2017, 05:46 PM
His team selections for the past 2 games have been very good (surprisingly). Only player who I would drop is Forest.

Souter96Mac
05-09-2017, 05:49 PM
I think just making the playoffs would be an achievement, just a change from the garbage efforts in the last couple of competition qualifiers. Another else would be a bonus imo

Firestarter
05-09-2017, 05:50 PM
His team selections for the past 2 games have been very good (surprisingly). Only player who I would drop is Forest.

Aye he's pish. Why he gets selected every single game is a mystery.

Hibrandenburg
05-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Griffiths does way too much work out with the final 3rd and at times when a good ball was played in no one was there.

Surely it can't be a good ball if nobody is there? :dunno: