at last 61
02-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Anybody see the fans celabrating hibby right at the front

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

pacorosssco
03-09-2017, 12:08 AM

What a job oneils done and good to see them do well.Many problems overcome for support that can be split in two. Many players have been pushed out for no reason in past . Our Manager one of them. Big strides made but squeeze all they have to full power something Scotland teams have rarely done. Club tops at national games a no from me though.

LancsHibs
03-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Got any images?

Keith_M
03-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Link? Photos?

at last 61
03-09-2017, 09:41 AM
I was hoping someone else had caught it , was on sky sports hibby was right in the middle of the fans and at the bottom

Baldy Foghorn
03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
It was at Republic vs Georgia

Keith_M
03-09-2017, 11:00 AM
I had two school friends who supported Hibs and Northern Ireland, so they do exist (though likely very small in number)

Mr White
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
I had two school friends who supported Hibs and Northern Ireland, so they do exist (though likely very small in number)

I've been up to Windsor Park a couple of times with my son. I'd describe myself as more of a well wisher than a supporter though :greengrin

Keith_M
03-09-2017, 11:10 AM
I've been up to Windsor Park a couple of times with my son. I'd describe myself as more of a well wisher than a supporter though :greengrin

So your not wee Shaun from Wallyford, formerly of Castlereagh?

I'm so dissapointed

:boo hoo:

Mr White
03-09-2017, 11:11 AM
So your not wee Shaun from Wallyford, formerly of Castlereagh?

I'm so dissapointed

:boo hoo:

I'm sure you'll cope :greengrin.

I doubt I'll be wearing a Hibs top if I'm ever back to watch them again.

04-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Wasn't N.Ireland was Republic

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Crazyhorse
04-09-2017, 03:23 PM

More than you think. Although typically for Northern Ireland they are split into at least three factions... :)

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Wasn't N.Ireland was Republic

Much more likely. I wouldn't imagine a Hibs shirt would be particularly welcome at a Northern Ireland game: far more Rangers friendly. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't chance it.

04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Much more likely. I wouldn't imagine a Hibs shirt would be particularly welcome at a Northern Ireland game: far more Rangers friendly. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't chance it.Yeah most North Catholics support republic. Plus in the photo there's a Celtic fan a few people after, 100% would not see that

04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Yeah most North Catholics support republic. Plus in the photo there's a Celtic fan a few people after, 100% would not see that

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkThat's the photo there https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170904/5a815caaaaa7a0aabccd47e41326da79.jpg

Irish Dave
04-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Yeh hibs and n Ireland. GAWA. Green, white.... white, green all the same to me.

JimBHibees
05-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Yeh hibs and n Ireland. GAWA. Green, white.... white, green all the same to me.

Quite right too an amazing result last night. Michael O'Neill is doing an amazing job.

Mr White
05-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Quite right too an amazing result last night. Michael O'Neill is doing an amazing job.

:agree: He really is. They have some decent players but he's got them performing at way more than the sum of their parts. 7 clean sheets out of 8 so far in qualification and the odd one out was away to the world champions. Outstanding achievement for them.

BS44
05-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah most North Catholics support republic. Plus in the photo there's a Celtic fan a few people after, 100% would not see that

My brother was told by a Belfast taxi driver that Hibs come in at a respectable third in the teams that are most hated by the Loyalist community in the North of Ireland. Ireland are a obvious first and our tribute act from Glasgow follow them in a very close second.

05-09-2017, 07:18 PM
My brother was told by a Belfast taxi driver that Hibs come in at a respectable third in the teams that are most hated by the Loyalist community in the North of Ireland. Ireland are a obvious first and our tribute act from Glasgow follow them in a very close second.Cliftonville will be ahead of us

Iggy Pope
05-09-2017, 07:22 PM
My brother was told by a Belfast taxi driver that Hibs come in at a respectable third in the teams that are most hated by the Loyalist community in the North of Ireland. Ireland are a obvious first and our tribute act from Glasgow follow them in a very close second.

When we went to the Glentoran friendly I had a Belfast taxi driver that point blank refused to take a fare to East Belfast from the City. He dropped us off a fair bit west.

Some years before I had a Sligo taxi driver tell me he could tell loyalists by their haircut.
Once I had been to East Belfast, I think I knew what he meant. I'm quite happy to be hated.

(Can I say? Pretty fundamental error by the OP here...!)

BS44
05-09-2017, 07:35 PM
When we went to the Glentoran friendly I had a Belfast taxi driver that point blank refused to take a fare to East Belfast from the City. He dropped us off a fair bit west.

Some years before I had a Sligo taxi driver tell me he could tell loyalists by their haircut.
Once I had been to East Belfast, I think I knew what he meant. I'm quite happy to be hated.

Four of us got a lift to the game from a local in the pub in the Falls Road where some Hibs fans had arranged to meet up before the game. Once he dropped us off in the area he absolutely floored the motor back out again.

Although we had no problem walking to the ground I didn't feel welcome in the scheme outside the stadium.

Mr White
05-09-2017, 07:36 PM

I'm in East Belfast fairly regularly for work. On the whole I find most folks there take you at face value and are fairly friendly. I've yet to encounter any prejudice despite my first name scoring very highly on the taig-ometer.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2017, 07:40 PM
I'm in East Belfast fairly regularly for work. On the whole I find most folks there take you at face value and are fairly friendly. I've yet to encounter any prejudice despite my first name scoring very highly on the taig-ometer.

Appreciate that and you're there, I seldom am. Did you partake in the Glentoran game or indeed take in much football at all over that way? Prejudice was prevalent that day, no question. I could not get out fast enough.

Mr White
05-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Appreciate that and you're there, I seldom am. Did you partake in the Glentoran game or indeed take in much football at all over that way? Prejudice was prevalent that day, no question. I could not get out fast enough.

I didn't live over here then so no I wasn't there
There's no doubt prejudice comes to the fore when certain football teams are mentioned. I watch Bangor FC and Ards semi regularly and there's never been any issues. Most pubs in my town won't show any Scottish football though as it's not worth the hassle for them. That says a lot I think.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2017, 07:46 PM
I didn't live over here then so no I wasn't there
There's no doubt prejudice comes to the fore when certain football teams are mentioned. I watch Bangor FC and Ards semi regularly and there's never been any issues. Most pubs in my town won't show any Scottish football though as it's not worth the hassle for them. That says a lot I think.

It does. So did the overhead mesh on the walkway to the rear of the ground.

Newry Hibs
05-09-2017, 07:47 PM

I was at the glentoran match and inside the ground thought the fans got on well enough. A bit of banter early on, but I'm sure we applauded each other. Didn't feel uncomfortable going tonih but then I was able to drive myself and 2 boys.

Iggy Pope
05-09-2017, 07:51 PM
I was at the glentoran match and inside the ground thought the fans got on well enough. A bit of banter early on, but I'm sure we applauded each other. Didn't feel uncomfortable going tonih but then I was able to drive myself and 2 boys.

No worries inside. Outside is a threatening ****hole of some proportion. Don't really want to turn this into a huge Belfast debate. Just remarking on my experience the one time I've gone to see the Hibs there. Been to Belfast city a few times and I love the place.

Mr White
05-09-2017, 08:03 PM
No worries inside. Outside is a threatening ****hole of some proportion. Don't really want to turn this into a huge Belfast debate. Just remarking on my experience the one time I've gone to see the Hibs there. Been to Belfast city a few times and I love the place.

Aye the bit around the ground does look a bit ropey tbf. Loads of decent parts in the east side of the city too though- upper Newtownards rd for example. And there's some very affluent parts too- such as Cyprus Avenue of Van Morrison fame. Bloody massive houses round there.

Agnes Gordon
05-09-2017, 09:15 PM
N Ireland are very much seen by folk as the international wing of Der Hun.
Wearing a Hibs jersey at Windsor Park would be crazy and very dangerous.

Lancs Harp
05-09-2017, 09:22 PM

There is a certain irony in that Agnes with your profile pic being of George Best in a Hibs top. :greengrin

Irish Dave
05-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Good enough for Michael O'Neill good enough for Georgie Best, good enough for Neil Lennon, Ivan Sproule, Dean Shiels, and even Colin Murdoch. Good enough for me.

Agnes Gordon
06-09-2017, 06:09 AM
There is a certain irony in that Agnes with your profile pic being of George Best in a Hibs top. :greengrin

Good point, Best was one of the finest players ever certainly the best my troubled part of the world has ever produced.
I was lucky enough to see his first game at ER v Partick Thistle.
Unfortunately although the IFA has made strenuous efforts to make Windsor Park more inclusive it still remains a cold house in some respects for the Catholic community with the fan base dominated by Linfield and indeed Rangers fans.

Huge irony here as well given the faith of the current manager and many players past and present.

Mr White
06-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Not everyone sees it like that. They've become a lot more inclusive in recent years and a lot of people who identify as Northern Irish without any strong feelings either way on the religious or political divisions that exist here have got behind the national side.

While there's no doubt wearing a hibs top to Windsor would provoke a negative response from an element within their support, I would suggest wearing any club top to an international match is a fairly crass move as evidenced by the fact that the only time I remember seeing this with any frequency is by Celtc fans at ROI matches. I didn't see any club tops at Windsor last time I was there, certainly no hun tops and I would suggest the Man Utd and Liverpool fans within the NI support outnumber those that support the huns.

FWIW I was born into an Irish catholic family and married into a Northern Irish protestant one. Like a lot of people here I've got no time for intolerance and I'm sad to see it seep it's way into sport at times. I'm also glad to see NI doing well. I hope they qualify as there was a great atmosphere around the place during the Euros.

JimBHibees
06-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Good enough for Michael O'Neill good enough for Georgie Best, good enough for Neil Lennon, Ivan Sproule, Dean Shiels, and even Colin Murdoch. Good enough for me.

Spot on.

Agnes Gordon
06-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Not everyone sees it like that. They've become a lot more inclusive in recent years and a lot of people who identify as Northern Irish without any strong feelings either way on the religious or political divisions that exist here have got behind the national side.

While there's no doubt wearing a hibs top to Windsor would provoke a negative response from an element within their support, I would suggest wearing any club top to an international match is a fairly crass move as evidenced by the fact that the only time I remember seeing this with any frequency is by Celtc fans at ROI matches. I didn't see any club tops at Windsor last time I was there, certainly no hun tops and I would suggest the Man Utd and Liverpool fans within the NI support outnumber those that support the huns.

FWIW I was born into an Irish catholic family and married into a Northern Irish protestant one. Like a lot of people here I've got no time for intolerance and I'm sad to see it seep it's way into sport at times. I'm also glad to see NI doing well. I hope they qualify as there was a great atmosphere around the place during the Euros.
Yes a lot of good work has been done and songs like The Sash are no longer heard at NI games although the no surrender add on is still evident during GSTQ.
Sadly politics seeps deeply into football at times and still some work to be done to encourage more folk here to embrace and support their local team

Keith_M
06-09-2017, 07:48 AM

TBF Iggy, if you were dressed like you are in your avatar, you should expect at least some reaction.

Iggy Pope
06-09-2017, 02:18 PM
TBF Iggy, if you were dressed like you are in your avatar, you should expect at least some reaction.

:greengrin

Crazyhorse
06-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Yes a lot of good work has been done and songs like The Sash are no longer heard at NI games although the no surrender add on is still evident during GSTQ.
Sadly politics seeps deeply into football at times and still some work to be done to encourage more folk here to embrace and support their local team

I think you are right that things are changing although there still seems to be a lot of myths surrounding sport and who feels included and excluded in Northern Ireland. The anecdotes people are recounting are all very well and offer an insight into their experience perhaps. However I see there is some recent academic research on this issue based on a representative sample in the 2013 Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey (n = 1210). A couple of quotes are interesting:
“…more Catholics (71%) than Protestants (65%) felt that the Irish Football Association was taking active steps to welcome all traditions. Two-thirds of Catholic respondents said they would like to see more Catholics supporting the NI international team, while only a slightly higher proportion of Protestants (60%) than Catholics (56%) said they would be willing to attend Windsor Park if offered tickets.”

And it seems that the GAA is bit more of a cold house for protestants than the IFA/Windsor Park is for Catholics:
“…40% of Protestants agreed that the GAA was taking active steps to welcome all traditions, compared to 72% of Catholics (…) 39% of Protestants said they would attend a match in Casement Park if offered tickets compared to 78% of Catholics.”
Casement Park is the main GAA stadium in Belfast.
I took those quotes from the Executive Summary but there is lots more interesting data here:
https://www.executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/ofmdfm/social-exclusion-and-sport-in-ni-exec-summary.pdf

HibsNI
07-09-2017, 12:22 PM
I went to a Northern Ireland game not long after I moved over here from Edinburgh, It was the last warm up game before they headed to the euro's and the atmosphere was decent enough! I like Michael O'Neill and think he's done a great job the way he's got them playing and competing at such a high level.
I watched a Hibs v Rangers match a couple of seasons ago ( in a boozer with my future father in law and his hun supporting mates. It was in one of the more loyalist areas outside Belfast and it was fine until Hibs ran out 2-1 winners (Paul Hanlon scored a header IIRC). Once the comments of 'Are you a prod or a taeg?' started being flung my way from a few people who weren't in our company I knew it was time to drink up and leave.
It's a shame because I love Belfast and I love living and working over here but it does my head in how some people can't just see it for what it is......A game of football!

Mr White
07-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Decent effort here from a DUP representative. A bit more of this wouldn't go amiss although I had a chuckle at his response to being asked if he'd go to a Republic match.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/wells-helps-dispel-myths-for-windsor-park-sceptics-1-8135954

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-09-2017, 08:48 PM
I was in Northern Ireland on business a wee while back and on the subject of Celtc and The Rangers the boy driving my taxi said that their sort were more humoured than welcome over there.