PDA

View Full Version : 5 years ago today........

lyonhibs
31-08-2017, 08:29 AM
We signed Ryan McGivern for the first time.

A man that ultimately made Gathuessi look like Cafu.

If ever a yardstick was needed to judge how far our club has come, it's that this deadline day we aren't going to be scrabbling around taking the absolute dregs of the summer window just to complete a squad.

What a lovely feeling. McGinn may go, hopefully he won't, but if he does we aren't completely rubber ducked.

Bring on Jim White.

Firestarter
31-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Where's that prick now?

lyonhibs
31-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Where's that prick now?

Seemingly still - somehow - ekeing out a career as a footballer at Shrewsbury Town. He played nearly 70 games for our great club. What a shambles that is!!

SouthMoroccoStu
31-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Hard hat on but I thought he was good when he was on loan and very happy when he signed

Hindsight is 20:20 but the prospect was good

hibbysam
31-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Hard hat on but I thought he was good when he was on loan and very happy when he signed

Agree completely with that.

Peevemor
31-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Nearly everyone, including myself, thought the same.

hibbysam
31-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Nearly everyone, including myself, thought the same.

He wa also absolutely immense when up against Cristiano Ronaldo in an international game as well around that time. I couldn't believe we managed to sign him. Crazy how quickly things change.

Firestarter
31-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Seemingly still - somehow - ekeing out a career as a footballer at Shrewsbury Town. He played nearly 70 games for our great club. What a shambles that is!!

He wasn't the worst though which makes it worse. That boy was even ***** at throw ins.

DH1875
31-08-2017, 09:12 AM
I've genuinely only ever really hated one player that played for Hibs and this guy is that ducking guy. Cant of a man :agree:

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Was solid for 18 months, no idea why he gets such a hard time.

heretoday
31-08-2017, 09:24 AM
It's a sad reflection on the state of the game that a player of that standard can still hack a living.

Sean1875
31-08-2017, 09:32 AM
I've genuinely only ever really hated one player that played for Hibs and this guy is that ducking guy. Cant of a man :agree:

I see your Ryan McGivern and I raise you... Matt Doherty

Diclonius
31-08-2017, 09:33 AM
McGivern was excellent in that season. He wasn't even the main reason we went down - our defence was adequate, we just couldn't ****ing score.

Hibbycol
31-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Agree completely with that.only tried a leg to get a contract and then he was very average to poor imo

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mainstandman
31-08-2017, 09:57 AM
One touch, look up, then boot it down the touch line. Always liked the way he looked up first, as if he was considering a different option, not!

Stevie Reid
31-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Was very good when on loan, and was delighted when he signed permanently. Definitely took his eye off the ball when he got his contract though, and his error in Hamilton's first goal set the tone for the pathetic performance that day.

Stewboy
31-08-2017, 10:04 AM
I see your Ryan McGivern and I raise you... Matt Doherty

Agreed, what a horrific player he was for us.

Is he not now cutting about the Championship in England is Mr Doherty? Strange game....

poolman
31-08-2017, 10:04 AM

If ever a yardstick was needed to judge how far our club has come, it's that this deadline day we aren't going to be scrabbling around taking the absolute dregs of the summer window just to complete a squad.

What a lovely feeling. McGinn may go, hopefully he won't, but if he does we aren't completely rubber ducked.

Bring on Jim White.

That's very harsh

Stevie Reid
31-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Is he not now cutting about the Championship in England is Mr Doherty? Strange game....

Cup final and his comments afterwards aside, Doherty was ok for us. Scored a couple of important goals too.

lyonhibs
31-08-2017, 10:07 AM
One touch, look up, then boot it down the touch line. Always liked the way he looked up first, as if he was considering a different option, not!

If only he had just aimlessly booted it long against both Kilmarnock and Hamilton. It was when he tried to actually pass it out of defence that the real damage was done.

Anyway, just thought it was a nice comparison on TDD to have a squad already playing together and with plenty of proven quality with a couple of young potential gems instead of cloggers like McGivern being panic signed at 11.59 pm

Firestarter
31-08-2017, 10:09 AM
McGivern was excellent in that season. He wasn't even the main reason we went down - our defence was adequate, we just couldn't ****ing score.

Excellent haha. He was good on loan and then was utter mince thinking he was a player with his floated passes down the touch line and shocking defending. He made Kevin Mchattie look brilliant at times. Boy is a roaster to add to it.

G B Young
31-08-2017, 10:10 AM
McGivern looked impressive when he came in on loan and like others on here I thought Hibs did well to sign him. Seemed to me his decline mirrored the team's tumble down the table into the relegation mire. He was by no means the dud some make him out to be.

Thecat23
31-08-2017, 10:40 AM
He had many good games for us, I think he actually had the ability but it was his attitude in training and off the park that pissed me off. He was drinking most days in Stockbridge and thought he was billy big time. This clearly effected his performances on the pitch as well.

Boys a welt and treated Hibs as a social club.

31-08-2017, 10:41 AM
The king of awful Hibs signings has to be Ray Wilkins.

HibbyAndy
31-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Agreed

Nowhere near as bad as some make out

Pretty Boy
31-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Good when on loan, decent when he 1st signed permanently then like many just seemed to down tools and lose interest.

I accept Butcher has a lot to answer for but a bit professional pride wouldn't have went amiss with a few players in that dressing room.

tamig
31-08-2017, 11:17 AM

He was. And a lot of folk on this board were happy too.

tamig
31-08-2017, 11:20 AM

How's it strange? Doherty is a decent player.

emerald green
31-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Possibly because he sold the jerseys for the first (vital) early goal Hamilton Accies were desperate for in the play-off match which ultimately saw Hibs relegated?

Aside from that he was gash, like a number of players Hibs were signing in those days.

JeMeSouviens
31-08-2017, 04:08 PM
He was no Pa Kujabi, that's for sure! :shocked:

Barney McGrew
31-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Not any more - he's just been mutually consented by them.

Shame.

PISTOL1875
31-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Ryan mcgivern wasn't a bad player until Butcher told him and everyone else to lump the ball into the corners

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Possibly because he sold the jerseys for the first (vital) early goal Hamilton Accies were desperate for in the play-off match which ultimately saw Hibs relegated?

Aside from that he was gash, like a number of players Hibs were signing in those days.Oh, he made a mistake in an important game, does that mean he should be hated years later? Plenty of current players have made mistakes in big games.

He wasn't gash, he was solid apart from the last 6 months in which everyone was awful. You think he was absolute gash on loan and Hibs decided to sign him? Naw...

calumhibee1
31-08-2017, 04:29 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

Off the top of my head.. all over a 2 year period. No wonder we got ****ing relegated. Not one of them would be anywhere near this squad. They probably wouldn't even get a game for our 20s.

1van Sprou7e
31-08-2017, 04:31 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

Off the top of my head.. all over a 2 year period. No wonder we got ****ing relegated. Not one of them would be anywhere near this squad. They probably wouldn't even get a game for our 20s.

Matt Doherty would walk into our team, he's just a bit of a cock

frazeHFC
31-08-2017, 04:31 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

That list of players gives me the fear. :panic:

Agree about McGivern being good on his loan. Dreadful when he signed permanent.

tamig
31-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Matt Doherty would walk into our team, he's just a bit of a cock

And I think Matt Done has had a decent record the past few seasons.

IberianHibernian
31-08-2017, 04:50 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

Off the top of my head.. all over a 2 year period. No wonder we got ****ing relegated. Not one of them would be anywhere near this squad. They probably wouldn't even get a game for our 20s.Disagree . Doherty is probably the best right back we`ve had in the last 10 years maybe more . McGivern had a lot of good games with us and is back in NI squad I believe . matt Done did wahat he was signed for ( add a bit of pace to team for a few months ) and was doing well in England last year . Thornhill and Soares were good players but had had too many injuries , Vine had done well With St J , Nelson did his job no more no less and Heffernan and Kuqi were obviously past their best when we got them . Tendency to say all players in 2012 cup final team or relegation team were terrible and all players in 2016 cup team are great but it`s not quite as simple as that . Doherty would walk into our team now and possibly McGivern too .

gogsy23
31-08-2017, 04:53 PM
I liked Nelson. Was a very good Ch no nonsense and solid on the ball.

Broken Gnome
31-08-2017, 04:59 PM
I liked Nelson. Was a very good Ch no nonsense and solid on the ball.

Nelson was maybe the worst passer of a ball I've ever seen wearing a Hibs top.

SRHibs
31-08-2017, 05:01 PM
He was no Pa Kujabi, that's for sure! :shocked:

Never forgive Kujabi for his idiotic tackle right after we came out for the second half. Momentum was on our side and then he ****ed us. Thankfully SDG and co. made it right.

MWHIBBIES
31-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Never forgive Kujabi for his idiotic tackle right after we came out for the second half. Momentum was on our side and then he ****ed us. Thankfully SDG and co. made it right.Momentum was never on our side that day, we were utter dreadful from first to last.

Thecat23
31-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Never forgive Kujabi for his idiotic tackle right after we came out for the second half. Momentum was on our side and then he ****ed us. Thankfully SDG and co. made it right.

Hibs were never in that game.

SRHibs
31-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Hibs were never in that game.

The fraction of a chance we did have of winning went out the window with that challenge though. That was the point where the heads really went down and it became damage limitation.

Roberto Carlos he was not.

emerald green
31-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Oh, he made a mistake in an important game, does that mean he should be hated years later? Plenty of current players have made mistakes in big games.

He wasn't gash, he was solid apart from the last 6 months in which everyone was awful. You think he was absolute gash on loan and Hibs decided to sign him? Naw...

Yep it was an important game alright. So "important" it got Hibs relegated, and which resulted in 3 years down. One we really had to not gift our opponents an early goal, and that's exactly what he did.

I don't "hate" him for that, I just don't rate him as a good footballer. He is not, and never was, of a high enough standard of footballer (on and off the park) to ever have been at Hibs. He wasn't the only one.

I think he was gash. You don't.

blaikie
31-08-2017, 05:11 PM
I liked him when he first signed, pushed forward for a call up the NI squad if I remember right? None of our players covered themselves in glory that season we went down!

1van Sprou7e
31-08-2017, 05:15 PM
The fraction of a chance we did have of winning went out the window with that challenge though. That was the point where the heads really went down and it became damage limitation.

Roberto Carlos he was not.

B-b-but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycqAEBqVghc

iwasthere1972
31-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Bit like the ex wife. Okay for the first few months or so but really crap after that. Glad to get shot.

Paisley Hibby
31-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Cup final and his comments afterwards aside, Doherty was ok for us. Scored a couple of important goals too.

But his performance at and comments after the cup final will always define him. A complete and utter crruntt.

iwasthere1972
31-08-2017, 06:34 PM
B-b-but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycqAEBqVghc

B b b but but

Almost hit me and I was obviously in the east stand.

https://youtu.be/xU92bJdIROM

Jones28
31-08-2017, 06:38 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

That gives me the fear

hibbysam
31-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Disagree . Doherty is probably the best right back we`ve had in the last 10 years maybe more . McGivern had a lot of good games with us and is back in NI squad I believe . matt Done did wahat he was signed for ( add a bit of pace to team for a few months ) and was doing well in England last year . Thornhill and Soares were good players but had had too many injuries , Vine had done well With St J , Nelson did his job no more no less and Heffernan and Kuqi were obviously past their best when we got them . Tendency to say all players in 2012 cup final team or relegation team were terrible and all players in 2016 cup team are great but it`s not quite as simple as that . Doherty would walk into our team now and possibly McGivern too .

Best right back in ten years or more 😂 Was barely even our eat right back at the time. To say he was a better right back than both Gray and Whittaker is amusing.

Iggy Pope
31-08-2017, 07:54 PM
McGivern just been released by Shrewsbury according to Sky.

18Hibee75
31-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Agree with most on here that he was good for us in loan spell and did well to sign him. His attitude did seem to let him down however and sort of a reflection of our whole team during that period. May sound strange but wonder how he would've played under Lennon, maybe could've exploited his talent and got the best out of him. Maybe not though.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
31-08-2017, 07:58 PM
McGivern just been released by Shrewsbury according to Sky.

Must have heard he could walk into our team...

IberianHibernian
31-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Best right back in ten years or more 😂 Was barely even our eat right back at the time. To say he was a better right back than both Gray and Whittaker is amusing.
Can`t remember exactly when Whittaker left but think it was about 10 years ago but even if less he was always criticised by our fans for being weak in defence . Gray has been a great signing for us but again has had lots of critics here not least in month or two before 2016 cup final . He has also played in a lower league with us - we`ve all enjoyed great cup results in both cups in the last 3 seasons against teams from premier but some players have perhaps to prove this season that they can consistently show that level before being considered better than others who were in team when we were relegated . Anyway it`s not a matter of having a go at Gray or Whittaker , both are good players with a great attitude , but rather recognising that Doherty was and is a very good player .

Is It On....
31-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Bring on Jim White.

He wasn't the worst..

hibbysam
31-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Can`t remember exactly when Whittaker left but think it was about 10 years ago but even if less he was always criticised by our fans for being weak in defence . Gray has been a great signing for us but again has had lots of critics here not least in month or two before 2016 cup final . He has also played in a lower league with us - we`ve all enjoyed great cup results in both cups in the last 3 seasons against teams from premier but some players have perhaps to prove this season that they can consistently show that level before being considered better than others who were in team when we were relegated . Anyway it`s not a matter of having a go at Gray or Whittaker , both are good players with a great attitude , but rather recognising that Doherty was and is a very good player .

The same Matt Docherty that Andy Driver took the utter **** out of for the cup final? He was utter chronic for Hibs and I actually preferred Francombe out of the pair. His attitude was woeful and 5 year short later he's still at wolves so can't be that great.

Is It On....
31-08-2017, 09:11 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

Our "friends" at Gorgie Farm could no doubt put out a worst list today. Like it or not, neither us or thame should ever be near relegation and it takes an extraordinary level of incompetence to get even close to it. Sadly for us, The Butcher was that severely poor individual and Ian Cathro never got to prove how truly bad an appointment he was!!

Captain Trips
31-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Yeah we had one or 2 decent players but a succession of managers used the loan system to fill the first team rather than like we have done with Barker compliment the first team.

4,5 and 6 loans or short term contracts was an accident waiting to happen with players on loan who were unfit or had other issues. Barker might well be excellent for us but we have options as a pose the the loans being the starter players and the backup. A real change was needed and has happened.

Commons last year was a perfect example of how to use a loan system.

E10 Rifle
31-08-2017, 09:55 PM

He's the only boy I've seen boo'ed off by his own support (Hibs) and given a standing ovation by opposition fans (The club formerly knows as Glasgow Rangers). He should have hung up his boots after that 4-0 game at Ibrox and Alex Miller should have re-signed there and then for his own sake.

CraigHibee
31-08-2017, 10:19 PM

yep, honking signing, we've had a few, lee power as well

E10 Rifle
31-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Did Bannon not just fill in for a game or so and was actually here to (in the main) coach the young pups

(where's that post gone?)

cabbageandribs1875
31-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Eamonn bannon only played the 1 game:agree: think we were a tad short of personnel for that game

31-08-2017, 10:35 PM
He's the only boy I've seen boo'ed off by his own support (Hibs) and given a standing ovation by opposition fans (The club formerly knows as Glasgow Rangers). He should have hung up his boots after that 4-0 game at Ibrox and Alex Miller should have re-signed there and then for his own sake.

Don’t think I’ve ever been so angry at a hibs player as I was at that game.

poolman
31-08-2017, 11:00 PM

Square ba' Butch

A Hun to this day and a disgrace he ever wore our shirt

Sir David Gray
31-08-2017, 11:10 PM
McGivern
Doherty
Soares
Done
Collins
Nelson
Thornhill
Heffernan
Vine
Kuqi

That list is ****ing frightening.

Greentinted
02-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Did Bannon not just fill in for a game or so and was actually here to (in the main) coach the young pups

(where's that post gone?)

Played sweeper against Motherwell in his one and only 1st team cameo iirc - fair's fair, he did ok anaw!

oneone73
02-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Me too. The night I finally turned against Miller.

The Spaceman
02-09-2017, 08:47 AM
McGivern gets a hard time on here - I remember being delighted when we signed him permanently.

He isn't in the same league as Matt Doherty - if that man ever had a career ender I'd not give one single ****.

bigwheel
02-09-2017, 09:05 AM
McGivern gets a hard time on here - I remember being delighted when we signed him permanently.

He isn't in the same league as Matt Doherty - if that man ever had a career ender I'd not give one single ****.

McGivern wasn't great , but he did try hard - he was part of a very poor team - and his career since has shown he isn't that good ..

Doherty is actually a decent player - has played consistently for Wolves in recent years ..he did OK for us - although he was appalling in the final - then subsequently his words after the final showed how little respect he had for or club - one of those disgraceful loaners that didn't really
Care what happened ...

I'd never wish anyone harm , but my
Pettiness does still hope that Wolves lose and I never really want to watch them on TV [emoji2]

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Mcgivern was decent when he first signed. Looked like a coup in fact. A young man city defender with height and could attack. Excellent.

But that last 5 months, call it the butcher effect or whatever you want but it was ****ing horrid. Everybody was in fact but the aimless punts up the park, simple passes and all the basics he was getting wrong used to stick with me and really rile me at matches.

This is where it infuriates me the way Scottish football is regarded. At Shrewsbury the likes of him and Collins probably found their level but at hibs, we expect better. Thankfully, the club now has a different calibre of mentality and player

Billy McKirdy
02-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Agree with you too, he had some excellent games for us and really looked the part but for whatever reason his form along with the whole team's nosedived, I guess almost every player in that team, with the exception of Lewis and Hanlon it seems will forever be crucified for going down.

Andy74
02-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Total nonsense. He was a very good right back for us. Some comments after a game aren't the same as being a horrific player.

PISTOL1875
02-09-2017, 10:21 AM
I met McGivern in a Manchester pub just as the downwards slide started under butcher. The things he told me about him and malpas would make your toes curl

WhileTheChief..
02-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Add Victor Pallson (sp) to the list. Yon Icelandic lad from Liverpool.

Mind there were plenty on here that thought he was going to be a superstar for us!! Utterly hopeless.

Baldy Foghorn
03-09-2017, 09:25 AM
I met McGivern in a Manchester pub just as the downwards slide started under butcher. The things he told me about him and malpas would make your toes curl

Spill?

Souter96Mac
03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Add Victor Pallson (sp) to the list. Yon Icelandic lad from Liverpool.

Mind there were plenty on here that thought he was going to be a superstar for us!! Utterly hopeless.

I think at the time he was one of the slightly better players out of a awful bunch.

Newry Hibs
20-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Ryan mcgivern just getting a league winners medal for linfield.
Wears 23 on his shirt.