PDA

View Full Version : Any One But England.!

Sammy7nil
29-08-2017, 09:47 PM
If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Armfield's podcast on BBC.
Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and maybe mellowing with age I still struggle. Why should I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me think I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Not that they will soon :aok:

majorhibs
29-08-2017, 09:54 PM
If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Airfields podcast on BBC.
Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and mellowing age Jimmy I still strggle. Why shohld I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Bit mair than Jimmy for me!

Just Alf
29-08-2017, 09:59 PM
I often start out watching a game, footy or otherwise with a wee feeling of support for our southern cousins.... I've got loads of relatives and friends who're English after all.... Then a minute or two into the commentary the guys speaking have done my head in (1966 etc) and I'm jumping up and down for the other team!

I'm really Sorry cousins etc.... I DO try!

cabbageandribs1875
29-08-2017, 10:09 PM
i have a great likeness for the japanese prime minister

Shinzo Abe

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2017, 10:12 PM
I have ABS myself.

Jack
29-08-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm English. I don't like them!

andybev1
30-08-2017, 04:16 AM
i have a great likeness for the japanese prime minister

Shinzo Abe

I myself, look nothing like the man!:greengrin

Deansy
30-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Until their commentators/media do a complete turnaround in their approach, I can never see the day I'd want them to win at anything - yes, even Tiddlywinks !

Brummie_Hibs
30-08-2017, 06:24 AM
Let me ponder that thought...hmmm...nope...****** them.

itslegaltender
30-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Our bigger nearest rival, of course we want them beaten. Icelands win was particularly satisfying.

Bristolhibby
30-08-2017, 06:48 AM
It's a bit like saying "I'm coming round to Hearts winning the Cup double and progressing to the group stages of the Europa League, while having a good pop at Celtic".

Never going to happen. Worse living down here.

There are a couple of my mates who know the truth. That England are crap. But others jump on the "10 German bombers" bandwagon every two years.

J

bingo70
30-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Too much is made of us wanting them to get beat, it's nothing nasty, racist, xenophobic or whatever it gets called. It's just a sporting rivalry that's more often than not friendly and a bit of fun.

I'm sure India enjoy it when Pakistan get beat at cricket, I'm sure Australia would be pleased when the all blacks get beat at rugby, sure the Dutch are happy when Germany get beat at football etc etc etc.....

I find it hilarious when they get out out competitions, especially from the likes of Iceland but if they were to win something one day I wouldn't really care that much I don't think.

WeeRussell
30-08-2017, 07:17 AM
I've friends and family who are hearts fans.. I never feel obliged to want them to do well.

Wanting your rivals to fail is all part of the enjoyment of football.

mjhibby
30-08-2017, 07:25 AM
I've friends and family who are hearts fans.. I never feel obliged to want them to do well.

Wanting your rivals to fail is all part of the enjoyment of football.

My dad was English and used to want them to win for his sake as he loved watching sport in his old age. Now I can't bear them winning at anything but it is more to do with their press than England fans. The fans are as much used to failure as Scots fans. Over the moon the west indies gubbed them at Headingley yesterday. Pure joy on the players faces. Brilliant.

Ozyhibby
30-08-2017, 07:29 AM
While the SFA run the national team I really don't care what happens at international level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
30-08-2017, 07:30 AM
I want all the home nations to do well including England. International football is a bit of a circus anyway.

Hearts though. No way! That's serious business.

Colr
30-08-2017, 07:34 AM
I want all the home nations to do well including England. International football is a bit of a circus anyway.

Hearts though. No way! That's serious business.

You don't have to worry about Hearts in this respect.

Generally, I want all British teams to do well in Europe or Internationals except Rangers.

I don't much bother about England as they are generally pretty dreadful to watch but if they play well (like in the Euros semi) I'll back them. My son's a supporter so I want them to win for him. He's at an age when he still takes it very seriously.

Hi Heid Yin
30-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Having been a Forces brat I spent my childhood and much of my young adult years growing up with English friends. Apart from wanting Scotland to beat England during the Home Internationals, I always rooted for England against Germany, Argentina and such-like and felt disappointed to see them lose so cruelly in World Cup and Euro Championship semi-finals on penalties. I see myself as British and support all the other British nations, and of course I love to see the Republic of Ireland do well too. My Scots/Irish blood might have something to do with this.
Hatred for The English is all too rife up here in Scotland and it can be ugly and upsetting for those from south of the border who choose to live in our beautiful country.
I notice also the tendency to cover up blatant racism with carefully chosen words such as " I don't hate the English, only the BBC and Westminster Government"
I also recall the anti-English sentiment coming to the fore and erupting in violence against English-accented students when Braveheart came out.
To accuse the Glasgow 2 of intolerance and bile and in the same breath attack anything English wreaks of hypocrisy.

WeeRussell
30-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Having been a Forces brat I spent my childhood and much of my young adult years growing up with English friends. Apart from wanting Scotland to beat England during the Home Internationals, I always rooted for England against Germany, Argentina and such-like and felt disappointed to see them lose so cruelly in World Cup and Euro Championship semi-finals on penalties. I see myself as British and support all the other British nations, and of course I love to see the Republic of Ireland do well too. My Scots/Irish blood might have something to do with this.
Hatred for The English is all too rife up here in Scotland and it can be ugly and upsetting for those from south of the border who choose to live in our beautiful country.
I notice also the tendency to cover up blatant racism with carefully chosen words such as " I don't hate the English, only the BBC and Westminster Government"
I also recall the anti-English sentiment coming to the fore and erupting in violence against English-accented students when Braveheart came out.
To accuse the Glasgow 2 of intolerance and bile and in the same breath attack anything English wreaks of hypocrisy.

There's a great deal of difference between wanting a team to get beat at football, and singing about killing Catholics.

PeeJay
30-08-2017, 07:44 AM
If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Airfields podcast on BBC.
Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and maybe mellowing with age I still struggle. Why should I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me think I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Back in 66 - as a kid - I wanted the English football team to win the cup, as it was the only home nation competing - I always wanted British teams to do well (not when playing against Scotland obviously) - I wish British athletes and so on well when playing against other countries - I've never understood the ABE attitude ...

... btw - Jimmy Armfield methinks ??? :greengrin

Ozyhibby
30-08-2017, 07:45 AM

I would suggest you are seeing something which does not really exist. I don't see very much anti English sentiment in Scotland at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
30-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Hearts v Hibs, Rangers v Celtc, Scotland v England, etc.
It's only natural that most fans enjoy seeing, who they conceive to be their biggest rivals, beaten.
I would suggest most England supporters prefer to see Germany beaten than us as they are their big rivals. The ironic thing is Germany don't feel that way about England apparently.

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2017, 08:05 AM

I'm in London now for a funeral. I was sat in a bar last night listening to a group of friends (3 English guys and an expat Scot) having a bit of "banter". It was a cringe fest of 3 against one where the "sweaty sock", "Jock Twat", "Haggis Basher", "Porridge Wog" was the subject of hilarious jokes about him being a heathen, skirt wearer, tight *******, see you Jimmy. Every time he tried to counter attack he was told to "**** off back to Jockland" if he didn't like it. Truth be told I was more angry with the subservient little tit for taking that **** with a smile than I was with the other twats for making his nationality the subject of their hilarious banter. I'll be supporting ABE.

Pretty Boy
30-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Don't really care tbh. International football is a boring sideshow to me, if England do well then so be it. I won't be supporting them but I can't get into the ABE stuff.

So they go on about 1966 a lot, quite right to, it was a hell of an acheivement. It's not like Scotland are shy and retiring when it comes to talking about the following year (which is incomparable to actually winning the World Cup).

Pretty Boy
30-08-2017, 08:45 AM
I'm in London now for a funeral. I was sat in a bar last night listening to a group of friends (3 English guys and an expat Scot) having a bit of "banter". It was a cringe fest of 3 against one where the "sweaty sock", "Jock Twat", "Haggis Basher", "Porridge Wog" was the subject of hilarious jokes about him being a heathen, skirt wearer, tight *******, see you Jimmy. Every time he tried to counter attack he was told to "**** off back to Jockland" if he didn't like it. Truth be told I was more angry with the subservient little tit for taking that **** with a smile than I was with the other twats for making his nationality the subject of their hilarious banter. I'll be supporting ABE.

There's erses everywhere.

A few years ago my girlfriend (English) got a mouthful of anti English abuse from a couple of Hibs fans away at Cowdenbeath. I don't judge all Hibs fans, or base my football support, on that.

Fwiw I generally love going to functions in England and getting a kilt on. A lot of guests love it and want pictures with me and to buy me drinks. It also makes me wish I had been wiser to the effect it has when I was single.

KWJ
30-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Our bigger nearest rival, of course we want them beaten.

Exactly.

They talk themselves up just like the Jambos too.

Lancs Harp
30-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Exactly.

They talk themselves up just like the Jambos too.

Aye like Scotland did when they won the World Cup in 1978. Oh.:wink:

For most related to sport its just a bit of banter as a few on this thread have already expressed, nothing wrong with that IMO but there are people on both sides who take things a little further and beyond banter and have a bit of an irrational "hatred" which probably say more about them than the object of their "hatred".

Never had a problem being a Hibs fan and being English personally, infact in early days of coming up to Edinburgh was treated as a bit of a novelty.

Colr
30-08-2017, 09:05 AM

I've never experienced that. Having said, I wouldn't put up with it either.

MKHIBEE
30-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I have 3 lads who follow England all over Europe, they all think the team are poor. I always tell them to enjoy the trip, except for the actual match, and be safe. I wouldn't want England to win anything at any sport.

we are hibs
30-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I hate England. I hope they get pumped every time they take to the field. They're up their with hearts and the Huns in the deluded stakes.

"WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP"

papped out by some fishing country

"English football needs a revamp. Next tournament is a write off"

2 years later

"WE'RE GOING TO WINNRHE EUROS"

repeat over and over

Callyballybe
30-08-2017, 09:08 AM

I have to agree with the above. I'm an Edinburgh native but have studied in the North of England and worked (albeit briefly!) in London. I've still got uni friends in Yorkshire whom I get down to see as much as I can. I'm certainly not implying we're perfect up here, I actually believe that there is an unfortunate level of anti-English rhetoric within our culture outwith the normal 'banter'.

However, it is a two way street. I also believe there is a unfortunate level of condescenion towards Scotland within the English culture, which certainly wound me up on more than one occasion down there. Furthermore, I believe this has heightened post independence referendum (irrespective of how you voted.) The rise of 'sweaty sock' as an acceptable word to describe people from Scotland is shocking - describing it 'banter' is pathetic.

Because of this it is easy to get swept up in the emotion of wanting them to get beat, especially given the commentators and media expectations. However, I don't think the media represent the general consensus or expectations amongst the England supporters, and as long as you ignore the 'idiots' (of which there are on both sides of the border) I have actually found myself watching England games with my English friends, and have been happy enough for them to do well.

Although I'll also admit that when Griffith's second flew into the top corner at Hampden a couple of months ago, I was there, and that is as close to celebrating a goal like I did when Gray's header went in on 90+2 as I'll ever get.

HantsHibs
30-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Thought this would be an apt time for my first post. :wink:

I've been exiled down south since 2004, and although I've mellowed out, I still find it difficult to support England. It seems to me that a significant amount of the general populace become arrogant overly-optimistic, flag-waving trumpets, especially the media.

Watching them get pumped is somewhat satisfying, as it's normally a classic egg-on-yer face moment after much fanfare and unfair slagging off of the opposition. Last time I was abroad for the Iceland vs England game, and a few Dutch fellas asked a grinning self: "Icelandic?". My response of "Scottish" with a wry grin made them laugh their heads off. :greengrin

I'm always trying to place an "insurance bet" on them winning the tournament... just in case the unthinkable happens.

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 09:32 AM
It's funny that there's not such a widespread view in England of 'Anyone But Scotland'. I think it's partly down to having to suffer an English based Media and partly because we're a bit parochial.

Anyway, my current viewpoint is 'Anyone But Germany', but that's only because I live there and I'm sick of hearing them rabbiting on about how successful they are.

I suppose when I move home I'll be a total hypocrite and revert to the ABE viewpoint :greengrin

Sylar
30-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Thought this would be an apt time for my first post. :wink:

I've been exiled down south since 2004, and although I've mellowed out, I still find it difficult to support England. It seems to me that a significant amount of the general populace become arrogant overly-optimistic, flag-waving trumpets, especially the media.

Watching them get pumped is somewhat satisfying, as it's normally a classic egg-on-yer face moment after much fanfare and unfair slagging off of the opposition. Last time I was abroad for the Iceland vs England game, and a few Dutch fellas asked a grinning self: "Icelandic?". My response of "Scottish" with a wry grin made them laugh their heads off. :greengrin

I'm always trying to place an "insurance bet" on them winning the tournament... just in case the unthinkable happens.

I lived in a small Hampshire town around the time of the Indy Ref and it was absolutely brutal. The pure vitriol that was on display was utterly horrific - especially during the summer, when the Brazil World Cup was on, it was even worse. Going to the local village pub was a genuine case of speak quietly, lest ye be engaged by hostile locals wanting to know your position on Independence and which team in England's group you were supporting...

I played on a baseball team based in Guildford during that time with mostly English guys, and they were cool - but even though England winning meant something to them, I absolutely couldn't escape wanting to see them fail.

So long as they're hyped to the hilt during their TV coverage the way they currently are, I'll never want them to win. But since my general interest in football has waned in recent years, I'm also less bothered when they do win.

surreyhibbie
30-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Similar to Hants, I have been exiled for just over 35 years. Still feel 100% Scottish and enjoy seeing Engerlund lose at anything.

However, most of my friends are of the "Caledonaianly-challenged" variety and I tend to stand with them and watch England games in the club I help to run.

If they win I celebrate with them over a few beers.

If they lose I take the piss.

win/win for me.

God help me if they ever actually win anything though....

Jones28
30-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Having lived in Grimsby for a while I got the odd back and forth with colleagues etc but nothing overly offensive. I think the further south you go the more drivel you'll see and hear.

As for ABE, I've lost all interest in international football and couldn't give a monkeys. I did enjoy all the ***** at the euros though. They're like rangers fans i.e. We get attacked wherever we go/the police hassle us and it's not our fault its because everyone hates us etc etc when in fact a lot of the antogonisers were English and couldn't take it when Russian hooligans kicked them in. Reggie Yates did a really good documentary on just how seriously these guys take it.

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2017, 09:46 AM
It's funny that there's not such a widespread view in England of 'Anyone But Scotland'. I think it's partly down to having to suffer an English based Media and partly because we're a bit parochial.

Anyway, my current viewpoint is 'Anyone But Germany', but that's only because I live there and I'm sick of hearing them rabbiting on about how successful they are.

I suppose when I move home I'll be a total hypocrite and revert to the ABE viewpoint :greengrin

Nestbeschmutzer! :wink:

surreyhibbie
30-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Google translates that as "nest user"....

:confused:

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Google translates that as "nest user"....

:confused:

It should translate as someone who fouls up their own nest/home. Google translate isn't very good obviously. Either that or you typed in Nestbenutzer?

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Ich weiß!

:greengrin

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Wanting England to win is no better than wanting Hearts to win. I'd cheer on North Korea if they were playing them.

Hi Heid Yin
30-08-2017, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;5156618]I would suggest you are seeing something which does not really exist. I don't see very much anti English sentiment in Scotland at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

My ex wife was English and believe me she suffered digs and not so subtle attacks from her work colleagues for being English. This was in the civil service. On occasion her vicious colleagues reduced her to tears. Also, my uncles never hid their hatred of the English, with alcohol bringing out their otherwise disguised racism when sober. There remains an inherent national resentment of the English. Sport merely brings to the surface suppressed feelings.

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 10:03 AM
My ex wife was English and believe me she suffered digs and not so subtle attacks from her work colleagues for being English. This was in the civil service. On occasion her vicious colleagues reduced her to tears. Also, my uncles never hid their hatred of the English, with alcohol bringing out their otherwise disguised racism when sober. There remains an inherent national resentment of the English. Sport merely brings to the surface suppressed feelings.

Not being funny mate, but you're only hearing one side of the story. For all you know, your ex-wife could have been stirring things up and causing people to resent her. Not saying it's justified, but it does happen.

There's a common theme of acting like an absolute welt towards Scottish people in their own country, then crying foul when they get some of it back. Like another poster said, very much like Rangers fans.

Lancs Harp
30-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Not being funny mate, but you're only hearing one side of the story. For all you know, your ex-wife could have been stirring things up and causing people to resent her. Not saying it's justified, but it does happen.

There's a common theme of acting like an absolute welt towards Scottish people in their own country, then crying foul when they get some of it back. Like another poster said, very much like Rangers fans.

This clearly happens on both sides of the fence if you think it doesnt youve got your head firmly in the sand.

WeeRussell
30-08-2017, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;5156618]I would suggest you are seeing something which does not really exist. I don't see very much anti English sentiment in Scotland at all.

A couple of workmates of an ex wife, and a pair of uncles is hardly grounds for a sweeping generalisation of a nation's "inherent" nature though, is it?

surreyhibbie
30-08-2017, 10:10 AM
It should translate as someone who fouls up their own nest/home. Google translate isn't very good obviously. Either that or you typed in Nestbenutzer?

No, used cut & paste to enter it. Google translate is pretty poor, gives my Italian friend a lot of laughs when I use it to try and communicate in Italian!:greengrin

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 10:12 AM
This clearly happens on both sides of the fence if you think it doesnt youve got your head firmly in the sand.

I never said it didn't. I did say "Rangers fans" afterall.

CockneyRebel
30-08-2017, 10:34 AM

You need to get out more then

Sir David Gray
30-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Quite happy to continue hoping England get beat.

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 10:43 AM
You need to get out more then

Perhaps you need to get out more if you think most of the complaints of abuse actually happened, or didn't have another side to the story.

Phil MaGlass
30-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Love watching them pumped at everything, I cant even support Lewis Hamilton, I have been an exile for almost 30 years and used to go to my local bar (full of English) with my Scottish/English mates and when they play I love it when they lose, believe it or not I even have a problem with Andy Murray playing under the english flag, drives me nuts(thats more nationalism though). really cant stand englands media and alot of their countrymen.
Had some dick give me a hard time a few years ago because I was Scottish, sweatty sock and all that, soon put him in his place by giving him the proverbial Glasgow kiss.

IGRIGI
30-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Since the independence referendum I find anti Scottishness is a much bigger problem down south than anti englishness north of the border, it's like an insecure husband/wife who has went radio rental at the idea their parent had ideas of moving on and can't get over it.

Hi Heid Yin
30-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Fair points but I could relay another half dozen similar tales of others from England who have suffered too. Only the persecuted know whether they have been victims of racist attacks.

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 11:09 AM
There was an incident a few years back where some kid wore an English Football top in a playpark in Edinburgh and was given dogs abuse by a couple of teenage thugs.

The most common reaction was of shock at the incident and animosity to the idiots in question, with a number of people stating they would quite happily have thumped the thugs for picking on that kid and that he had every right to wear his England top with pride and without being harassed for it.

I tend to think that accurately portrays the general feeling on both sides, where you'll always have some idiots but that the vast majority are actually quite level headed and opposed to that kind of behaviour.

Hibee87
30-08-2017, 11:11 AM
I find the attitude of WHY we dont support them more bizzare then why we support any other team. Simply put they are our closest rival. Its no different to Hibs v Hearts, Rangers V Celtic, Liverpool v Everton, Man U v Man C etc etc. You support a team and most teams will have a rival. England are ours.
I had a conversation once where I was told you should always support the closest to you if your country is not in the tournament. Dead serious straight faced he was. I said to them thats fine, so when England get put out and France are still in it you would be cheering on France? The boy looked even more confused at this suggestion because they werent 'British' I said they would be the closest country though.
The best one you hear is we would support Scotland, aye right. Scotland is Scotland and we dont want our rivals to win, why do many English people not understand this and need to make a big dance about the fact we enjoy them getting beat? Like a said look at any football rivalry and 90% of people will not want their rival to win ever (unless it benefits them of course)

OsloHibs
30-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Anyone but Sweden for me!

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I find the attitude of WHY we dont support them more bizzare then why we support any other team. Simply put they are our closest rival. Its no different to Hibs v Hearts, Rangers V Celtic, Liverpool v Everton, Man U v Man C etc etc. You support a team and most teams will have a rival. England are ours.
I had a conversation once where I was told you should always support the closest to you if your country is not in the tournament. Dead serious straight faced he was. I said to them thats fine, so when England get put out and France are still in it you would be cheering on France? The boy looked even more confused at this suggestion because they werent 'British' I said they would be the closest country though.
The best one you hear is we would support Scotland, aye right. Scotland is Scotland and we dont want our rivals to win, why do many English people not understand this and need to make a big dance about the fact we enjoy them getting beat? Like a said look at any football rivalry and 90% of people will not want their rival to win ever (unless it benefits them of course)

They only "want Scotland to win", because they know we're tripe. If we consistently had a better team than England, then that attitude wouldn't take long to change.

AltheHibby
30-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Got it in one. My wife has English and Welsh blood and I have English in me. My daughter is married to a Yorkshire man. Anyone but England? No thanks. Especially at the cricket.

snooky
30-08-2017, 11:29 AM
"Nestbeschmutzer"? "Ich weiß"?

"Zee prisoners have escaped" is the only the German I can speak. :stirrer: :greengrin

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 11:30 AM
"Nestbeschmutzer"? "Ich weiß"?

"Zee prisoners have escaped" is the only the German I can speak. :stirrer:

How about, "Vee haf vays of making you talk!"

snooky
30-08-2017, 11:37 AM
How about, "Vee haf vays of making you talk!"

Aha, K-a-b! I can see you've studied the language in depth.
My learning was limited to "Hogan's Heroes" :wink:

(ps Nae offence to Hibrandenburg, btw. I love all these fabulous German words like "Schadenfreude", etc. Keep 'em coming :thumbsup:)

geohibby
30-08-2017, 11:51 AM
my business partner is English, he knows i can't stand them and he is fine with that, its the arrogence of them, even on holiday you can always spot them, there always loud and think they own the place.

One Day Soon
30-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Not being funny mate, but you're only arguing one side of the story. For all you know, his ex-wife could have been completely innocent and causing no-one to resent her. Not saying it's justified, but it does happen.

There's a common theme of acting like an absolute welt towards English people in their own country, then crying foul when they get some of it back. Like another poster said, very much like Rangers fans.

See what I did there?

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Not being funny mate, but you're only arguing one side of the story. For all you know, his ex-wife could have been completely innocent and causing no-one to resent her. Not saying it's justified, but it does happen.

There's a common theme of acting like an absolute welt towards English people in their own country, then crying foul when they get some of it back. Like another poster said, very much like Rangers fans.

See what I did there?

No, not really.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
30-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Has anyone done a worldwide 'Good Guy' / '****' like Poll?

Wonder where we would come in the Poll? I'm going top 10. :greengrin

hhibs
30-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Well after careful consideration and much debate with myself...................no,just no !

hhibs
30-08-2017, 03:45 PM

You clearly do not spend time in the company of some english ,many despise us now as uppity colonials .

hhibs
30-08-2017, 03:52 PM

My ex wife is English and has been reduced to living ,by choice, in Scotland, for the last 35 years.......................so maybe your analysis is a unique piece....

marinello59
30-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Aye, it's always the victims fault isn't it? Yet another attention seeking piece of trolling from you.

Tornadoes70
30-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Don't really care tbh. International football is a boring sideshow to me, if England do well then so be it. I won't be supporting them but I can't get into the ABE stuff.

So they go on about 1966 a lot, quite right to, it was a hell of an acheivement. It's not like Scotland are shy and retiring when it comes to talking about the following year (which is incomparable to actually winning the World Cup).

This just about sums up how I feel about it too. Jimmy Hill used to wind us up something rotten but I struggle to understand why anyone would bother overly nowadays really as the passion and rivalry doesn't for me seem to be as fervent as it was back in the day.

I just want the Hi bees to win and maintain our unbeaten run against the 'big team' yams.

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Aye, it's always the victims fault isn't it? Yet another attention seeking piece of trolling from you.

Why? For suggesting that those who play the victim aren't always necessarily the victim? I suppose in your view, Rangers fans are all victims, because they like to claim that they are? Or am I just trolling?

marinello59
30-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Why? For suggesting that those who play the victim aren't always necessarily the victim? I suppose in your view, Rangers fans are all victims, because they like to claim that they are? Or am I just trolling?

Yes.

High-On-Hibs
30-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Yes.

In your view. But it seems to be a common thing on the internet now to call somebody a troll when you have no valid reponse to make yourself. Anyway, i've made my point on this thread. People are entitled to agree or disagree.

marinello59
30-08-2017, 04:40 PM
In your view. But it seems to be a common thing on the internet now to call somebody a troll when you have no valid reponse to make yourself. Anyway, i've made my point on this thread. People are entitled to agree or disagree.

You've just thrown out an inflammatory comment with no evidence to back it up. The vast majority of victims of hate crimes are just that, victims so just what your 'valid' point was defeats me.

heidtheba
30-08-2017, 04:42 PM
England - in the 90s I always wanted the team to do well but the press and many of the fans to see them getting utterly humped. Makes no sense I know. I did love watching that Graham Taylor era Gascoigne/Barnes/Shearer squad, Gazza especially. I also did laugh like a drain when they played San Marino. It's the media, Dear God they just make watching England so hard. My wife is a Kiwi and never really 'got' what I was on about until their rugby team won in 2003 and then it was talk of knighthoods etc etc. She understood then!

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2017, 05:02 PM
My Scottish wife and son have never been abused in England. I however have been abused plenty of times in Scotland. If everything was reversed I would expect I would still be the one abused.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2017, 05:48 PM
I don't want anyone else to win apart from Hibs and Scotland, although I don't want England to win much more than any other side.

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 06:06 PM
My Scottish wife and son have never been abused in England. I however have been abused plenty of times in Scotland. If everything was reversed I would expect I would still be the one abused.

Basically it's nothing to do with your nationality, then, it's just you.

CockneyRebel
30-08-2017, 06:08 PM
They only "want Scotland to win", because they know we're tripe. If we consistently had a better team than England, then that attitude wouldn't take long to change.

Oh dear

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Basically it's nothing to do with your nationality, then, it's just you.

Yeah I'll go with that :-)

I love the ABE chat but not as much as the moans and groans my retaliation on here brings.

Thecat23
30-08-2017, 06:50 PM
England are crap, they remind me of The Rangers regarding they shout from the rooftops how good they are then blame everyone and anyone when they lose.

Don't hate them though, more comedy than hate!

norhfc
30-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Being brought up with the old Home Internationals it used to annoy me that we got English commentary in 70s and early 80s. The BBC where never exactly impartial and where very condescending towards us.
Nowadays I don't really care, don't watch their games so don't have to listen to Gary bloody Lineker on their latest wonder kid.

NZ Green
31-08-2017, 03:21 AM
I quite like watching England play, but there's just an air of smugness whenever they win. So I kind of want them to win right up until the final whistle blows.
My favourite thing about watching England is listening to the commentators trying to be neutral when they concede a goal or when they're losing, really entertaining listening to them trying to suppress their devastation.

MKHIBEE
31-08-2017, 05:29 AM
I quite like watching England play, but there's just an air of smugness whenever they win. So I kind of want them to win right up until the final whistle blows.
My favourite thing about watching England is listening to the commentators trying to be neutral when they concede a goal or when they're losing, really entertaining listening to them trying to suppress their devastation.

I've never heard the phrase "Awww Naawww" being used when teams score against England.

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 11:29 AM
You've just thrown out an inflammatory comment with no evidence to back it up. The vast majority of victims of hate crimes are just that, victims so just what your 'valid' point was defeats me.

I'm sure the whole episode was just joyful and civic exuberance.

Keith_M
31-08-2017, 12:07 PM
I've never heard the phrase "Awww Naawww" being used when teams score against England.

Have you ever seen a Scottish co-commentator go in the huff and refuse to speak, whilst live on air, because they just lost to Nothern Ireland?

:faf:

heretoday
31-08-2017, 02:11 PM
QUOTE - I lived in a small Hampshire town around the time of the Indy Ref and it was absolutely brutal. The pure vitriol that was on display was utterly horrific - especially during the summer, when the Brazil World Cup was on, it was even worse. Going to the local village pub was a genuine case of speak quietly, lest ye be engaged by hostile locals wanting to know your position on Independence and which team in England's group you were supporting...QUOTE

In the circles I was moving in around Brighton at the time of the Indyref a lot of people were wanting Nicola to come and be PM in Westminster! Brighton's quite cosmopolitan though, I suppose.

Keith_M
31-08-2017, 03:14 PM
In the circles I was moving in around Brighton at the time of the Indyref a lot of people were wanting Nicola to come and be PM in Westminster! Brighton's quite cosmopolitan though, I suppose.

There were similar comments from people in and around Liverpool (according to a Scouse colleague).

The most vitriolic, anti-Independece, anti-SNP comments I've heard have actually come from Scottish people.

AltheHibby
31-08-2017, 06:32 PM
The most vitriolic, anti-Independece, anti-SNP comments I've heard have actually come from Scottish people.[/QUOTE]

Same here. In fact, as Yes supporter told me that I should beep of to England where I belong for having English blood and voting no. The English I spoke to, with one drunken exception wanted a no vote.

Canon Hannan
31-08-2017, 07:59 PM
There were similar comments from people in and around Liverpool (according to a Scouse colleague).

The most vitriolic, anti-Independece, anti-SNP comments I've heard have actually come from Scottish people.

Very true - British Nationalism at its worst. Not really Scots 😉

marinello59
31-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Who isn't really Scots? :confused:

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Are you ****ing serious?

High-On-Hibs
31-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Now now, just because they hate being Scottish and reject it as a national identity, doesn't make them any less Scottish. :tsk tsk:

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Now now, just because they hate being Scottish and reject it as a national identity, doesn't make them any less Scottish. :tsk tsk:

Puerile drivel just found a new level.

CropleyWasGod
31-08-2017, 09:01 PM

I can hear you rapping that.......:greengrin

High-On-Hibs
31-08-2017, 09:04 PM

So it does then? :confused: Make up your mind.

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 09:07 PM
I can hear you rapping that.......:greengrin

You may be on to something there...

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 09:08 PM
So it does then? :confused: Make up your mind.

More drivel.

CropleyWasGod
31-08-2017, 09:09 PM
You may be on to something there...

Stop it... canny get it out of my head now.

I'm One Day Soon, and I'm on the level. Just can't get this puerile drivel.....

One Day Soon
31-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Stop it... canny get it out of my head now.

I'm One Day Soon, and I'm on the level. Just can't get this puerile drivel.....

Are you implying I'm a Mason,
I'm not a Scot
And I've a Union Jack face on?

marinello59
31-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Civic nationalism. Tolerant as long as you agree with the party line.

31-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Civic nationalism. Tolerant as long as you agree with the party line.

Close this thread.

Lancs Harp
31-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Do I get to vote in the next referendum because Im a Hibs fan?

Eyrie
31-08-2017, 10:13 PM

It is possible to be Scottish and put Scotland's best interests ahead of divisive nationalism.

If you disagree, you'll have to deport me and many other Scots from our own country. Very tolerant.

Edinburgher
01-09-2017, 03:23 AM
The only time I have ever wanted England to win was when I was due a treble if they won against Iceland in the Euros.......................I suppose you could, in hindsight, say it was one of those win/win situations. :wink:

Keith_M
01-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Jeez, there's some incredibly touchy people on here if the over the top responses to a humourous comment* are anything to go by.

* I'm not talking about my comment, but a response to it.

Keith_M
01-09-2017, 10:50 AM
It is possible to be Scottish and put Scotland's best interests ahead of divisive nationalism.

If you disagree, you'll have to deport me and many other Scots from our own country. Very tolerant.

:faf:

You just mentioned deportation and attributed it to him!

--------
01-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Jeez, there's some incredibly touchy people on here if the over the top responses to a humourous comment* are anything to go by.

* I'm not talking about my comment, but a response to it.

It went awfully serious awfully quickly, didn't it?

FWIW ...

1. I watch cricket a lot and have no trouble supporting the England team. However, I do reserve my right to support whoever I want to support depending on the circumstances of the match.

2. I happily support English competitors in individual sports like speedway, GP motor racing, boxing, etc.

3. I have no major problem with either the England Rugby Union team, or the England Association Football team.

4. Any problem I have is with the frantic jingoism of certain English football commentators who appear to be unable to commentate on the match without behaving like (extremely obnoxious) fans with microphones. I have the same problem with certain Scottish commentators and summarisers as well (e.g. Messrs Walker and Provan, for example).

NONE of this means I'm racist or Anglophobe.

But given that it's now 51 years and counting since they last won the Football World Cup (which is the one that gets up most Scots' noses) and the English football media are STILL going on (and on and on and on and on and on AND ON) about it ....

.... I may be pardoned for hoping that they don't win the bloody thing again until well after I'm dead and no longer interested? :devil:

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag

heretoday
01-09-2017, 12:24 PM
England are almost as bad as us.

High-On-Hibs
01-09-2017, 12:27 PM

It is. It's called leaving the UK, in order to avoid divisive nationalism and remain part of a much bigger union. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
01-09-2017, 12:56 PM
England are almost as bad as us.

Never! They are mighty and will always be better than Scotland. :-)

Keith_M
01-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Never! They are mighty and will always be better than Scotland. :-)

Mighty or Mighty Bad?

Jack Hackett
01-09-2017, 04:58 PM
'Mon the Maltesers.

bubblesmorrison
01-09-2017, 05:02 PM
I have nothing but dislike for them probably due to the media and most of their fans. Asking me to want England to win is like asking me to want hearts to win!

Golden Bear
01-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I've mellowed with age and probably the effect of Scottish politics so these days I have no problem supporting our neighbours - apart from when they play us of course.

Eyrie
01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
It is. It's called leaving the UK, in order to avoid divisive nationalism and remain part of a much bigger union. :aok:

Again you want to conflate Scottish nationalism with Scotland's best interests and implicitly dismiss any contrary opinion as being anti-Scottish. Anyway, a political discussion like this belongs on the Holy Ground and not on the football forum, so I'll leave you to it.

Back on topic, I'm comfortable watching England at football in the hope of seeing a good game without wanting them to either lose or win.

greiggy
01-09-2017, 10:15 PM
I for one hope Engurland spank Slovakia on Monday by 5 or 6 goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
01-09-2017, 10:16 PM

While we pump Malta at the same time. :aok:

Pete
01-09-2017, 10:36 PM
"Anyone but England"

🤣

Gmack7
02-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Come on engerlund

Sir David Gray
02-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Yep needs must!

iwasthere1972
02-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Come on England.

Right I'm away for a hot bath and mouthwash.

Lancs Harp
02-09-2017, 09:02 PM
No No No this is all wrong. Im now half wanting England to lose while half of Scotland (you're not all lost to the cause yet) want England to win. This world is well and truly f****d up.:greengrin

Newry Hibs
02-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Looking at the groups - it's going to be pretty tight as to who is the 9th second best team and misses out. It would be oh so typical if we win last 3 games and then miss out.

(Of course if we get to the play offs, we'll get Italy or Spain)