PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in popular culture

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Outside of the 'bigger' clubs can there be a club anywhere who are referenced more in books TV and cinema than Hibs are. I was watching a film in the wee small hours last night with Scarlett Johansson in it where basically she plays an alien who drives around Glasgow picking up random strangers and killing them 'under the skin' is the film.

Anyway ... she picks up this guy with a green & white scarf on who you think is a Celtic supporter, but then he takes off his jacket and is resplendent in an 11/12 season Hibs top which made me laugh ..... Miss Johansson takes stuff off as well :greengrin

Keith_M
29-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Outside of the 'bigger' clubs can there be a club anywhere who are referenced more in books TV and cinema than Hibs are. I was watching a film in the wee small hours last night with Scarlett Johansson in it where basically she plays an alien who drives around Glasgow picking up random strangers and killing them 'under the skin' is the film.

Anyway ... she picks up this guy with a green & white scarf on who you think is a Celtic supporter, but then he takes off his jacket and is resplendent in an 11/12 season Hibs top which made me laugh ..... Miss Johansson takes stuff off as well :greengrin

You see my problem right there, I wouldn't have even noticed the Hibs Top.

:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2017, 10:34 AM

In my defence Scarlett was preserving her modesty at that point :greengrin

Hibee87
29-08-2017, 10:43 AM
We were mentioned in Corrie apparently, a BT advert had latapy scoring a pen v the yams and E.T supporting hibs.

Barman Stanton
29-08-2017, 10:50 AM
There is boys wearing Hibs strips in the 80s film Restless Natives.

They also changed Rebus from being a Jambo to a Hibee in the tv show as its way cooler obviously. One episode in particular has them breaking into Easter Road.

Oh aye, and Pat Stanton pulling pints in the Acid house is pretty cool!

CropleyWasGod
29-08-2017, 11:05 AM

They also changed Rebus from being a Jambo to a Hibee in the tv show as its way cooler obviously. One episode in particular has them breaking into Easter Road.

Oh aye, and Pat Stanton pulling pints in the Acid house is pretty cool!Rebus was never a Jambo. Iirc, in the books he's a Raith man.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Ken Stott, who is a Jambo

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hibee87
29-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Rebus was never a Jambo. Iirc, in the books he's a Raith man.

Yeah he mentions in one of the books about following Raith as a child I think, but he does attend easter road with Siobhan Clarke a lot in the books who became a fan after she moved to Edinburgh for uni.

I think the TV show made him a proper hibby to piss off Ken who as you say is a big jambo.

Barman Stanton
29-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Yeah that sounds right actually, think he was a Raith fan.

Juice-Terry
29-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah he mentions in one of the books about following Raith as a child I think, but he does attend easter road with Siobhan Clarke a lot in the books who became a fan after she moved to Edinburgh for uni.

I think the TV show made him a proper hibby to piss off Ken who as you say is a big jambo.

Siobhan Clarke has a season ticket at Easter Road in the books.

Hibee87
29-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Siobhan Clarke has a season ticket at Easter Road in the books.
:agree: im sure in one the books she talks about going on the supporters busses to some of the away games as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-08-2017, 11:26 AM

I saw the film and missed that bit too...!

superfurryhibby
29-08-2017, 11:34 AM
"I can understand why Stranraer are so lowly, they could save a lot of points by signing the Hibs goalie"

or

"sixty miles to Kilmarnock, just to see Hibernian play, the day was bright and sunny, but the game I won't relate"

Some lyrics from two different songs from a well known band from the 1980's ( the band are still well known now).

My favourite reference is the band name "The Suns of Albert", commemorating the legendary moustachioed maestro, Sir Alberto Kidd.

The Blue Rose Code also reference the Hibees in one of their songs, maybe the "Ghosts of Leith".

iwasthere1972
29-08-2017, 11:38 AM
We were mentioned in Corrie apparently, a BT advert had latapy scoring a pen v the yams and E.T supporting hibs.

Got beat by Dundee United by all accounts. Dev.

High-On-Hibs
29-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeXndn0qyQ

Lancs Harp
29-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Classic

Hibs fan base is truly intergalactic

iwasthere1972
29-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Doors Open film featuring Stephen Fry. Watched it in 2012. Below is a post which appeared on here asking for extras.

Volunteers wanted for Sunday April 22nd from 9am to 12.30 to play the part of a Hibs crowd. Young, old, guys, gals, families, groups of pals all welcome. We have 20 people already and need a few dozen more. If we provide the right number of people, a donation of £1,200 will be made to Hibs12thMan/Sect43 for our display at the Scottish Cup Final

It will be interesting, fun, a great cause and a day you will not forget. The film is Doors Open by Ian Rankin. Not a Rebus story but an intriguing crime drama.

Dougie Henshall is a Hibby who goes along to watch the Cabbage and (just like Craig and Charlie Reid) loves standing wi his 2 mates in the Singing Section. The camera pans over to land on a stray Hibby in the same section also enjoying the game.

Upon leaving Dougie and this other lad bump into each other outside the Albion Bar. They get chatting and cook up the mother of all Arts heists. A real Ocean's 11 set around Edinburgh but kicking off at Hibs V Killie on Sunday 22 April.

Our mission - should you choose to accept it - is to supply Ian and his film company (owned by Stephen Fry) with a few dozen extras who will appear in the crowd scenes, filming from 9-12.30 after which we lunch with the crew. Then we enjoy the fitba and after the match, shoot a quick scene outside the Albion Bar

In exchange for your volunteering - The film company will pay £1200 which will buy 25 thousand green and white cards for an amazing cup final display on 19th May. On Sunday, probable meetup & parking at Old Leith Academy 8.45 am. Coach to ER. Filming starts at 9am at ER. 9-12.30 Lunch with crew. Smart football gear - tops, scarves. Over 16 but 14-16 with an adult OK

woodythehibee
29-08-2017, 12:00 PM
"I can understand why Stranraer are so lowly, they could save a lot of points by signing the Hibs goalie"

or

"sixty miles to Kilmarnock, just to see Hibernian play, the day was bright and sunny, but the game I won't relate"

Some lyrics from two different songs from a well known band from the 1980's ( the band are still well known now).

My favourite reference is the band name "The Suns of Albert", commemorating the legendary moustachioed maestro, Sir Alberto Kidd.

The Blue Rose Code also reference the Hibees in one of their songs, maybe the "Ghosts of Leith".

They have a song called "Edina" which has a Hibs reference. Great tune :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
29-08-2017, 12:02 PM

or

I proclaim that I listen to them quite a lot.

Deansy
29-08-2017, 12:23 PM

They filmed an episode of 'Rebus' in Portobello one day and Stott came into our local, 'The Tides Inn'. (sadly no longer !) After being (jokingly) threatened with 'This is a Hibee pub, Pal - Nae Jambos' he joined us and was surprisingly quite knowledgeable about the game for one of them, good laugh too - even brought a round !!

Barman Stanton
29-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Kris Needs did a cpl of tunes with Irvine Welsh and the band name was Hibee Nation. I got sent the promo's at the time. Crap though.

Hibs1969
29-08-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a guy wearing a Hibs top on in the Nelly Furtado video for I'm Like a Bird.
From memory it's during the ariel shot when she's crowdsurfing and being moved around by the assembled mob.

jgl07
29-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Richrd Jobson made a film: 16 Years of Alcohol that was set in Edinburgh and the main character was seen wearing a Hibs strip in flashbacks to his youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Years_of_Alcohol

Colr
29-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Oh aye, and Pat Stanton pulling pints in the Acid house is pretty cool!

In the books it's Siobhan who's the Hibs fan.

hibee_girl
29-08-2017, 01:18 PM
We were mentioned in New Tricks once too iirc

JAY-ESS GREEN
29-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Meant to be hibs reference from dougray Scott in enigma but in spite of numerous viewings have never caught it. Anyone know what it is?

hibee_nation
29-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Meant to be hibs reference from dougray Scott in enigma but in spite of numerous viewings have never caught it. Anyone know what it is?

Think it's when he says there's mair chance of Hibs winning the scottish cup than me breaking this bloody code :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
29-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Think it's when he says there's mair chance of Hibs winning the scottish cup than me breaking this bloody code :greengrin

Lol

Took them far less time

superfurryhibby
29-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Kris Needs did a cpl of tunes with Irvine Welsh and the band name was Hibee Nation. I got sent the promo's at the time. Crap though.

Don't know who Kris Needs is but I recall some connection with Primal Scream on the Hibee Nation song?

Have you listened to the Suns of Albert? With a name like yours your you should give them a listen.

Here's another literary reference that no one will take heed of. In the book of short stories by Duncan McLean, "A Bucketfull of Tongues", there is a story about Aberdeen casuals taking on the Hibs Druids hooligan crew.

It always irked me because when I was in my 20's, I was the Pres of an imaginary motorcycle chapter called the Hibs Druids. In another little known figment of my imagination, Easter Road was once the site of an ancient stone circle and that people gathered there for millenia, tapping into the earth energies that flow through the site to this day.

Is It On....
29-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Begbie, Spud, Renton & Sickbay..

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Wish we were big. And famous.

Souter96Mac
29-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Begbie, Spud, Renton & Sickbay..

Haven't seen any of these films

1van Sprou7e
29-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Was Gary the tank commander no a hibee or am I imagining that?

RoscoHibby
29-08-2017, 07:27 PM
We are pretty much the coolest team in the world.

barcahibs
29-08-2017, 07:42 PM

I dont think so... But there was another British army in Afghanistan comedy on the BBC called Bluestone 42 and one of the lead characters in it was a Hibby. Close up of his Hibs tattoo on his arm in the opening credits every week and one episode has a subplot of him and his mate trying to avoid finding out the result of a Hibs v celtc match.

There was also a really weak Dennis Waterman comedy on the BBC sometime after Minder finished where the female lead was a Hibs fan - the subject seemed to come up most weeks.

Jack Docherty of Absolutely comedy fame is a big Hibby, the McGlashan character who hates the English celebrates Hibs beating hearts in one sketch.

There was also the BBC spoof new year show that they showed one Hogmanay. It was supposed to be being broadcast live from one of the Western Isles and it was full of comedy mistakes like producers and cameramen wandering into shot. It was being "made" by the Highland and Islands Broadcasting Service... HIBS for short, and all the cameras and equipment had HIBS in huge letters on them - sure the credits even said "with thanks to HIBS" or something like that :) I think it was produced by Jack Docherty so i doubt it was an accident :)

These things mattered growing up when you were the only Hibby in your year :)

Also seem to remember Russel Brand not long ago tweeting about Hibs being a cool club? Noticed at the weekend that he got married to Kirsty Gallachers sister recently... Sucking up to the in laws? :)

brog
29-08-2017, 07:45 PM
There are many Tartan Noir novels, in addition to Rebus, where The Hibees are mentioned including by Allan Guthrie, Tony Black, Chris Brookmyre & Quintin Jardine. In addition Gordon Williams,author of Straw Dogs, mentions The Famous 5 in his novel, They Used to Play On Grass, supposedly co-written with Terry Venables!

BoomtownHibees
29-08-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm sure a nurse/Doctor in Casualty wore a Hibs pin badge on their uniform

Fergos
29-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Don't know who Kris Needs is but I recall some connection with Primal Scream on the Hibee Nation song?

Have you listened to the Suns of Albert? With a name like yours your you should give them a listen.

Here's another literary reference that no one will take heed of. In the book of short stories by Duncan McLean, "A Bucketfull of Tongues", there is a story about Aberdeen casuals taking on the Hibs Druids hooligan crew.

It always irked me because when I was in my 20's, I was the Pres of an imaginary motorcycle chapter called the Hibs Druids. In another little known figment of my imagination, Easter Road was once the site of an ancient stone circle and that people gathered there for millenia, tapping into the earth energies that flow through the site to this day.

Aye Primal Scream meet the big man uptown.....a ref to Lee Scratch Perry and the cover is the tartan army invading the pitch taking the goal posts etc at Wembley 77. Kris Needs may be involved as he did do some work with the Scream team in the 90s.

Not the greatest record, dubby and a bit strung out....if you know what I mean.

GGTTH

Thecat23
29-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Yeah he was in Forth one saying he watched Hibs quite a bit.

1van Sprou7e
29-08-2017, 08:00 PM
I dont think so... But there was another British army in Afghanistan comedy on the BBC called Bluestone 42 and one of the lead characters in it was a Hibby. Close up of his Hibs tattoo on his arm in the opening credits every week and one episode has a subplot of him and his mate trying to avoid finding out the result of a Hibs v celtc match.

There was also a really weak Dennis Waterman comedy on the BBC sometime after Minder finished where the female lead was a Hibs fan - the subject seemed to come up most weeks.

Jack Docherty of Absolutely comedy fame is a big Hibby, the McGlashan character who hates the English celebrates Hibs beating hearts in one sketch.

There was also the BBC spoof new year show that they showed one Hogmanay. It was supposed to be being broadcast live from one of the Western Isles and it was full of comedy mistakes like producers and cameramen wandering into shot. It was being "made" by the Highland and Islands Broadcasting Service... HIBS for short, and all the cameras and equipment had HIBS in huge letters on them - sure the credits even said "with thanks to HIBS" or something like that :) I think it was produced by Jack Docherty so i doubt it was an accident :)

These things mattered growing up when you were the only Hibby in your year :)

Also seem to remember Russel Brand not long ago tweeting about Hibs being a cool club? Noticed at the weekend that he got married to Kirsty Gallachers sister recently... Sucking up to the in laws? :)

Aye that's what I was thinking about although I think the actor who plays Gary may also be a hibs fan

And you're right about Mr Brand :agree:

https://twitter.com/rustyrockets/status/323223911821086721

Topographic Hibby
29-08-2017, 08:02 PM
The programme was "On The Up" and the secretary was a Hibs supporter. It usually came up in negative terms, e.g. if she was short with DW, he would reply with "What's up with you, Hibs got beat again?" or similar.

And you're right, it was a very weak sit-com.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Up

mca
29-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Classic

Just Shown my Daughter this and she is away to bed as Chuffed as F... That E.T. is a Hibby..

She Loves E.T. but i've never Shown her this.. Thanks for Posting.. :thumbsup:

MyJo
29-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Hibby character with the badge on his arm in Filth

http://68.media.tumblr.com/728032143d6690566e9ebd5cf4a61bc6/tumblr_oi1k2zGidG1v07a2to1_1280.jpg

hibby6270
29-08-2017, 10:17 PM
In the books it's Siobhan who's the Hibs fan.

That's correct.

At a book signing a few years back, I asked Ian Rankin why Rebus was portrayed as a Hibby in the TV shows. His exact answer was "only did it to wind up Ken Stott who's an avid Jambo"!!

Now that's 'Hibs class'. :greengrin

leithsansiro
29-08-2017, 10:52 PM
In the Admiral Fallow song "Subueteo", the lyrics talk about a set of red figures being painted green, which is a reference to their singer Lewis' passion for the Hibs.

Plus, they do a good cover of SoL

MyJo
29-08-2017, 10:58 PM
The film & stage show Sunshine on Leith..........obviously :greengrin

Barman Stanton
30-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Kris Needs was Primal Screams tour DJ so I think that's where their reference has come with Hibee nation.

I have heard of Suns of Albert but not listened to their stuff. Will do.

McSwanky
30-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Anybody mentioned John Peel yet? If not, JOHN PEEL!

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 09:38 AM
That's correct.

At a book signing a few years back, I asked Ian Rankin why Rebus was portrayed as a Hibby in the TV shows. His exact answer was "only did it to wind up Ken Stott who's an avid Jambo"!!

Now that's 'Hibs class'. :greengrin

Wasn't Rebus originally a Raith Rovers fan?

Colr
30-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Haven't seen any of these films

Sickbay was better known as Casualty.

Colr
30-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Wasn't Rebus originally a Raith Rovers fan?

I think it was them or Cowdenbeath. Whoever, Ian Rankin supports.

Jones28
30-08-2017, 09:46 AM
They have a song called "Edina" which has a Hibs reference. Great tune :thumbsup:

This was first dance at my wedding in April. Magic

Keith_M
30-08-2017, 09:51 AM
The programme was "On The Up" and the secretary was a Hibs supporter. It usually came up in negative terms, e.g. if she was short with DW, he would reply with "What's up with you, Hibs got beat again?" or similar.

And you're right, it was a very weak sit-com.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Up

That was one of the worst 'comedies' ever.

GreenArmyyy!
30-08-2017, 09:55 AM

That is far and away the second worst film I have ever seen in my life, the most ridiculous nonsense ever 😂.

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2017, 10:00 AM
They filmed an episode of 'Rebus' in Portobello one day and Stott came into our local, 'The Tides Inn'. (sadly no longer !) After being (jokingly) threatened with 'This is a Hibee pub, Pal - Nae Jambos' he joined us and was surprisingly quite knowledgeable about the game for one of them, good laugh too - even brought a round !!

No wonder the place closed if you had to bring your own drinks with you! :wink:

McSwanky
30-08-2017, 10:23 AM
That is far and away the second worst film I have ever seen in my life, the most ridiculous nonsense ever 😂.

Dare I ask, what was the worst? :greengrin

Juice-Terry
30-08-2017, 10:30 AM

It's an AWFUL film, right enough.

Smartie
30-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Did Rebus not dislike football and wonder what all the fuss was about?

I've not read a Rebus book for years but I seem to remember him being a bit scathing about his colleagues enthusiasm for Hibs.

He's from the same part of the world as my Dad, who has always had a similar opinion on myself and my wee brother's passion for Hibs.

Smartie
30-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Dare I ask, what was the worst? :greengrin

When I saw his post there, I thought I'd managed to locate the only other person in the world who has sat through "2 headed shark attack".

hibee_girl
30-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Pretty sure we were mentioned in river city a few times too, seem to remember Jimmy reading a book about us in one scene.

snooky
30-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Anybody mention the John Peel photo with the Hibs top yet?

offshorehibby
30-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Pretty sure we were mentioned in river city a few times too, seem to remember Jimmy reading a book about us in one scene.

Sure there was a young guy in River City a couple of years ago, went to Leith Academy about the same time as our 2. Not saying he was a Hibby, but going to Leith, there's a good chance.

Killiehibbie
30-08-2017, 01:00 PM

or

The Blue Rose Code also reference the Hibees in one of their songs, maybe the "Ghosts of Leith".Edina has bit about going down Easter Road and through the turnstile. Grateful also has a scene at the ground in the video.

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Scarlet Johansson with the Hibs fan in the film of Under the Skin...

Hibee87
30-08-2017, 03:13 PM
I think a fair few performers at the festival have attended Easter Road in the past. Sure I read Frank Skinner and Jonathan Woss have attended a few of our games in years gone by when they were up here.....can imagine there will be plenty more.

Barman Stanton
30-08-2017, 03:25 PM
I think a fair few performers at the festival have attended Easter Road in the past. Sure I read Frank Skinner and Jonathan Woss have attended a few of our games in years gone by when they were up here.....can imagine there will be plenty more.

Andrew Maxwell certainly does, he used to tell a joke about going to a Hibs Rangers game. Sean Hughes also attended Easter Road regularly during the festival.

Hibee87
30-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Andrew Maxwell certainly does, he used to tell a joke about going to a Hibs Rangers game. Sean Hughes also attended Easter Road regularly during the festival.I used to have a DVD of Andrew maxwell it was pretty good, one disc was a full stand up in Edinburgh and the other a split one where done a gig on both the falls road and shankill on the same night. I think he was the first Comedian from Dublin or something to do a gig on both sides. Mentioned hibs a few times.

BH Hibs
30-08-2017, 09:17 PM
There was a character on BBC comedy City Lights that used to wear a Hands off Hibs t shirt. Think the actor was Andy Grey (sp).

Deansy
30-08-2017, 09:29 PM
No wonder the place closed if you had to bring your own drinks with you! :wink:

I'll get YOUR coat !! :na na:

barcahibs
30-08-2017, 10:23 PM
There was a character on BBC comedy City Lights that used to wear a Hands off Hibs t shirt. Think the actor was Andy Grey (sp).

Its amazing how your memory works... I'd completely forgotten about this but i was sitting near him at the Hands off Hibs event at the Usher Hall. Think there were another couple of the actors from the series with him as well.

frazeHFC
30-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Doors Open film featuring Stephen Fry. Watched it in 2012. Below is a post which appeared on here asking for extras.

Volunteers wanted for Sunday April 22nd from 9am to 12.30 to play the part of a Hibs crowd. Young, old, guys, gals, families, groups of pals all welcome. We have 20 people already and need a few dozen more. If we provide the right number of people, a donation of £1,200 will be made to Hibs12thMan/Sect43 for our display at the Scottish Cup Final

It will be interesting, fun, a great cause and a day you will not forget. The film is Doors Open by Ian Rankin. Not a Rebus story but an intriguing crime drama.

Dougie Henshall is a Hibby who goes along to watch the Cabbage and (just like Craig and Charlie Reid) loves standing wi his 2 mates in the Singing Section. The camera pans over to land on a stray Hibby in the same section also enjoying the game.

Upon leaving Dougie and this other lad bump into each other outside the Albion Bar. They get chatting and cook up the mother of all Arts heists. A real Ocean's 11 set around Edinburgh but kicking off at Hibs V Killie on Sunday 22 April.

Our mission - should you choose to accept it - is to supply Ian and his film company (owned by Stephen Fry) with a few dozen extras who will appear in the crowd scenes, filming from 9-12.30 after which we lunch with the crew. Then we enjoy the fitba and after the match, shoot a quick scene outside the Albion Bar

In exchange for your volunteering - The film company will pay £1200 which will buy 25 thousand green and white cards for an amazing cup final display on 19th May. On Sunday, probable meetup & parking at Old Leith Academy 8.45 am. Coach to ER. Filming starts at 9am at ER. 9-12.30 Lunch with crew. Smart football gear - tops, scarves. Over 16 but 14-16 with an adult OK

Completely forgot about this when I was trying to think of others. Close up of my face as I jog past the camera in front of the main actors. :tee hee:

SouthMoroccoStu
31-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Our very own Jack Docherty as Mcglashan in Absolutely

MURDO, MURDO....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnD7q7EFt0

Keith_M
31-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Didn't John Leslie wear one of those on Blue Peter?

KWJ
24-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Just saw a brief and unexpected Hibs reference in the video for Rose Elinor Dougal's Carry on. https://youtu.be/g_pHJR7qXzg

Can't upload screen grab on mob.

greenlex
24-12-2017, 04:57 PM
I’m sure Jack Docherty as the Chief Super gets us into an episode of Scot Squad regards the Cup Final.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Didn't John Leslie wear one of those on Blue Peter?He did[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

jgl07
25-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Sure there was a young guy in River City a couple of years ago, went to Leith Academy about the same time as our 2. Not saying he was a Hibby, but going to Leith, there's a good chance.
Was it Billy McElhaney?

He is certainly a Hibs fan. He appeared in River City for 11 years, Rab C Nesbitt, etc, etc.

greenlex
08-01-2018, 07:58 PM
I’m sure Jack Docherty as the Chief Super gets us into an episode of Scot Squad regards the Cup Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMshaqsAW1s&feature=share

Fanforlife
08-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Was it Billy McElhaney?

He is certainly a Hibs fan. He appeared in River City for 11 years, Rab C Nesbitt, etc, etc.Billy,s a pure Hibby but from Niddrie .✌✋

MrRobot
09-01-2018, 10:25 PM
I may have sported a Hibs top in Enter Shikari’s No Sleep Tonight music video.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-01-2018, 10:36 PM
I may have sported a Hibs top in Enter Shikari’s No Sleep Tonight music video.

Yeah!

Behind the drummer. Looks like the 2007 CIS Shirt

Ok, fess up, who is it?

cheltenhamhibee
10-01-2018, 12:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE56AUIDkag

Austinho
10-01-2018, 07:51 AM
I may have sported a Hibs top in Enter Shikari’s No Sleep Tonight music video.Amazing! My favourite team, and one of my favourite bands of all time combined. You’ve made my whole day!

Not their best song, but I’m made up with that.

weecounty hibby
10-01-2018, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE56AUIDkag

Can't believe he never asked her to put the strip on!!!!

Austinho
10-01-2018, 10:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE56AUIDkagThat’s weird as hell. Just looked up the film though, and it came 61st in the BBC's 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century. That’s another fantastic claim to fame for the Hibees!

MrRobot
10-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Yeah!

Behind the drummer. Looks like the 2007 CIS Shirt

Ok, fess up, who is it?

See original post, it’s me haha this would have been in 2009 I think!

Amazing! My favourite team, and one of my favourite bands of all time combined. You’ve made my whole day!

Not their best song, but I’m made up with that.

Agreed mate, been my favourite band since I first heard them - was chuffed to get to do the video with them; the Hibs top had to be worn.

Baader
10-01-2018, 10:50 AM
The club are thanked on the sleeve notes of Finley Quaye's debut album, Maverick a Strike.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2018, 11:09 AM
A young Adolph Hitler, after his discharge from the armed forces at the end of WW1, was a fan of the Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan and Walker team that lost two consecutive cup finals. Incidentally, Hitler sealed his own downfall, because when he became German chancellor in the 30's and then declared war, his alleged previous presence at Easter Road galvanized the Hearts community into resistance, which as the history books tell us, put paid to his plans for a 1000 year Reich.

Baader
10-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Aye Primal Scream meet the big man uptown.....a ref to Lee Scratch Perry and the cover is the tartan army invading the pitch taking the goal posts etc at Wembley 77. Kris Needs may be involved as he did do some work with the Scream team in the 90s.

Not the greatest record, dubby and a bit strung out....if you know what I mean.

GGTTH

Got the 12". Pretty crap to be honest, the cover is the best thing about it.

Kris Needs was one half of Secret Knowledge. Had a club hit with Sugar Daddy in the early 90s. They were on Andy Weatherall's Sabres of Paradise label.

CropleyWasGod
10-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Mixu in Phoenix Nights.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/bolton_wanderers/2925/cult_hero_mixu_.html

Austinho
19-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Isn’t there quite a few Hibs references on the computer game Grand Theft Auto? Not sure what they are mind you.

Also seen a fair bit of Hibs coverage on a couple of Danny Dyer programmes - Real Football Factory and Britain’s Hardest Men (Bradley Welsh).

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 08:36 AM
K
Isn’t there quite a few Hibs references on the computer game Grand Theft Auto? Not sure what they are mind you.

Also seen a fair bit of Hibs coverage on a couple of Danny Dyer programmes - Real Football Factory and Britain’s Hardest Men (Bradley Welsh).
GTA developed in Edinburgh by Rockstar so not surprising.

There are a lot of books available on HIBS casuals culture / CCS : These Colours Don’t Run and Hibsboy.

SirDavidsNapper
19-07-2018, 08:41 AM

It's been said somewhere that the two main gangs in GTA San Andreas were ment to represent Hibs and Hearts. The good guys wore green and the bad guys wore maroon. Also a lot of Edinburgh references in that game.

snooky
19-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Many years ago I read a book called "The Clydesiders". It may have been a prequal or sequal to "No Mean City". In it the main character says that his dad was going to Ibrox because he wanted to see Gordon Smith playing ( the Hibs Gordon Smith of course).

Barman Stanton
19-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Its not really Hibs as such, but the bad guys in GTA4 were called Roman and Vlad! Previous games have plenty other Edinburgh references, there is a golf course called Leaf Links, they have the Forth bridges, etc.

Austinho
19-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Think Trainspotting 2 had even more Hibs references than the first! The George Best scene in particular, and lots of Hibees merchandise in the pub etc.

KWJ
19-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Think Trainspotting 2 had even more Hibs references than the first! The George Best scene in particular, and lots of Hibees merchandise in the pub etc.

Just finished reading Dead Man's Trousers which is sort of a follow up to Porno/Trainspotting 2. Rife with Hibs references including the boys going to the Scottish Cup final which somebody linked to Irvine Welsh reading at Leith Theatre a while back.

Be interesting if they make it as a Trainspotting 3. For anyone looking to read it The Blade Artist is required reading beforehand as it sets up the changes in Begbie's character.

TheHarpy76
19-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Got beat by Dundee United by all accounts. Dev.

I remember watching that episode and feeling really chuffed that we got a mention. Even if we did lose :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
19-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Watching the TDF on ITV4 just now, and the name Begbie came up.

The commentator mentioned that Begbie was a "character in a novel set in Leith".

His co-commentator, Pippa Millar (until 5 minutes ago one of my cycling heroes :greengrin), said, "well, we like to think of him as from Glasgow....".

:rolleyes:

bigwheel
19-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Watching the TDF on ITV4 just now, and the name Begbie came up.

The commentator mentioned that Begbie was a "character in a novel set in Leith".

His co-commentator, Pippa Millar (until 5 minutes ago one of my cycling heroes :greengrin), said, "well, we like to think of him as from Glasgow....".

:rolleyes:

“Whae **** says I’m fae Glesgae !! “. [emoji6]

NZ Green
19-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Its not really Hibs as such, but the bad guys in GTA4 were called Roman and Vlad! Previous games have plenty other Edinburgh references, there is a golf course called Leaf Links, they have the Forth bridges, etc.
The 'good' guys/gangs always wear green. Grove Street wore green in San Andreas, also the gang lived in 'Ganton'.

HelmutSchlong
19-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Dev Allahan from Coronation Street was taken to Easter Road by a relative when he was wee, we got beat off of Dundee or Dunfermline

Criswell
19-07-2018, 11:06 PM
There was a BBC sit-com years ago called "The Creatives" set in an advertising agency. One of the main characters was played by Grant Stott. When he was shown working at his desk his Hibs' mug was always prominent. (good man!) I thought it was pretty good comedy but only seemed to last the one series.

sambajustice
19-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Heard subtle Hibs references in river city when I used to watch it. Assumed there must've been a hibby writer or something.

I know that "jimmy" is a real life hibby.

There was an episode jimmys dad turned up. He got arrested and when he got huckled the officer called him Jock* Smith Reilly Turnbull Ormond Johnstone "Surname"

GORDONSMITH7
20-07-2018, 12:33 AM
I'm sure a nurse/Doctor in Casualty wore a Hibs pin badge on their uniform

Correct and the actor mentioned it.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
20-07-2018, 12:50 AM
Heard subtle Hibs references in river city when I used to watch it. Assumed there must've been a hibby writer or something.

I know that "jimmy" is a real life hibby.

There was an episode jimmys dad turned up. He got arrested and when he got huckled the officer called him Jock* Smith Reilly Turnbull Ormond Johnstone "Surname"

Billy McElhaney can be seen in the West most games, if not working.

BIG G

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Probably been mentioned before but that despicable character DS Bruce Robertson in Filth Irvine Welsh was none other than the HIBS supporting jambo John Robertson hammer of the HIBS !!

Jim44
20-07-2018, 06:50 PM

or

Thought I’d bump this up as it’s a beautiful song called Edina. Hibs references at 54 seconds.

https://youtu.be/QPOyHs1Bpto

Hibsintherigg
20-07-2018, 09:15 PM
So Ive just bought tickets for this "1902" Show at the edinburgh festival this year, I noticed there wasd a thread posted last year but unfortunately I couldny get tickets! anyone seen it? or planning to go this year?

C I Hibee
20-07-2018, 10:13 PM
Tam Dean Burn, Fire Engines/ actor, his bother Russell - Fire Engines/Win/Boots for dancing

One Day
21-07-2018, 07:52 AM
we got a mention on last nights The Chase as well

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 08:04 AM
A lot of mentions in the Inspector Rebus novels and TV series loosely based on the books by Ian Rankin. Anyone remember the episode where Rebus ( jambo Ken Stott) does the deed on the centre spot at Easter Road? Cannae get any better publicity than that! :wink:

Just Jimmy
21-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Thought I’d bump this up as it’s a beautiful song called Edina. Hibs references at 54 seconds.

https://youtu.be/QPOyHs1BptoThat's cracking. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jim44
21-07-2018, 09:01 AM
That's cracking. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If you like them, check out their latest album The Water of Leith.

Austinho
21-04-2019, 04:35 AM
Lindsay Lohan was a massive Hibs fan in The Parent Trap (1998)

https://cinemafanatic.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/the_parent_trap.jpg?w=604

Jones28
21-04-2019, 06:03 AM

https://youtu.be/QPOyHs1Bpto

First dance at my wedding 👍🏻💚

Austinho
21-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Blue Rose Code did an amazing mashup of Sunshine on Leith and Edina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEAqShvKHNg

speedy_gonzales
21-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Blue Rose Code did an amazing mashup of Sunshine on Leith and Edina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEAqShvKHNg

Brilliant, sitting here in a train to the game with a tear in my eye,,,, why does SoL mean so much to me?!?

Forza Fred
21-04-2019, 02:04 PM
We were mentioned in New Tricks once too iirc

Yep, by Denis Waterman...not the first time he's mentioned us although probably just coincidence....he was the mainpart in some comedy serial a few years ago, and he asked a question about us then..of his employee/girlfriend who had a Scottish accent...if she was a HIbs supporter.

Topographic Hibby
21-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Yep, by Denis Waterman...not the first time he's mentioned us although probably just coincidence....he was the mainpart in some comedy serial a few years ago, and he asked a question about us then..of his employee/girlfriend who had a Scottish accent...if she was a HIbs supporter.Check back this thread to my reply a few years back on this. See reply #40. :thumbsup:

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-04-2019, 03:31 PM
An infinitely cooler club than Hearts

JDT
21-04-2019, 09:13 PM
If anybody watched 'The Victim' on BBC the little boy Liam has a sticker book and it's open on the hibs page

Forza Fred
21-04-2019, 10:37 PM
The ''Skinner" series of detective novels by Gullane based Quintin Jardine has frequent mentions of HIbs, and, admittedly the other mob too.

There is even a Polis Inspector (now retired) whose name is very similar to that of a Hibs supporter of many years....:wink:

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Peter Marinello on Blue Peter

:top marksTo the OP

Hope this works

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?335437-Anyone-like-whistling-along-to-Russ-Conway-records-in-full-kit

matty_f
22-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Peter Marinello on Blue Peter

:top marksTo the OP

Hope this works

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?335437-Anyone-like-whistling-along-to-Russ-Conway-records-in-full-kit

John Lesley did a feature at Hibs for Blue Peter IIRC, I remember watching it when I was a lot younger.

Baader
22-04-2019, 12:30 AM
If anybody watched 'The Victim' on BBC the little boy Liam has a sticker book and it's open on the hibs page

Spotted that too! Enjoyed the series.

Forza Fred
23-04-2019, 06:04 AM
Check back this thread to my reply a few years back on this. See reply #40. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

hibbymac
23-04-2019, 07:59 AM
An infinitely cooler club than Hearts

:aok: Confirmed :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p076qq6v/player

CockneyRebel
23-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Our very own Jack Docherty as Mcglashan in Absolutely

MURDO, MURDO....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnD7q7EFt0

First time seeing that - brilliant!

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 05:57 AM
Out of curiosity do folk feel that Irvine Welsh has been good or bad for Hibs? By painting his characters in Trainspotting as physco junkies who happen to be Hibs fans he has caused a whole generation of Hibbies to be subjected to the junkie chants at every way game. In the early 80s when Leith really did have a serious problem with smack I don't ever recall being called a junkie or accused of having HIV at any away game. Fenian was what we usually got called in these days.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 07:09 AM
Out of curiosity do folk feel that Irvine Welsh has been good or bad for Hibs? By painting his characters in Trainspotting as physco junkies who happen to be Hibs fans he has caused a whole generation of Hibbies to be subjected to the junkie chants at every way game. In the early 80s when Leith really did have a serious problem with smack I don't ever recall being called a junkie or accused of having HIV at any away game. Fenian was what we usually got called in these days.

Ha Ha!

I was surfing a Huns fans website after a recent HIBS v The Rangers match just purely out of interest merely looking for genuine fan feedback and they kept talking about “ spoonburners.”

Do they mean us ? :confused:

bigwheel
24-04-2019, 07:12 AM

The media was highlighting edinburgh and Leith as one of the drug and subsequently HIV capitals of the world in the 80s. Long before trainspotting become big

Was already a thing .....

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Ha Ha!

I was surfing a Huns fans website after a recent HIBS v The Rangers match just purely out of interest merely looking for genuine fan feedback and they kept talking about “ spoonburners.”

Do they mean us ? :confused: Aye im afraid so. Hivees is another moniker they use for us

matty_f
24-04-2019, 09:06 AM
The media was highlighting edinburgh and Leith as one of the drug and subsequently HIV capitals of the world in the 80s. Long before trainspotting become big

This is true.

Ironically, Edinburgh has long since been overtaken by Glasgow in that regard.

Jones28
24-04-2019, 09:08 AM
This is true.

Throw in their murder capital of Europe title as well

Should say that it was very brief, but it happened! A bit like Hears being top of the league...

Aim Here
24-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Ha Ha!

Do they mean us ? :confused:

They sure do. Go to an away game these days, and you're likely to see a few of the nearest home fans miming tapping up a vein at us! I think it's pretty funny, if perhaps not exactly child-friendly.

bigwheel
24-04-2019, 10:17 AM
This is true.

Agree....And others cities too...it's well documented that there was a strategic move by some drug barons to flood cheap heroin into Scotland in the early 80s...some guys I grew up with got hooked on it..none of them are alive today, mostly through drug abuse or related to sharing needles...

it created an epidemic that still blights a lot of Scotland's society today...

wpj
24-04-2019, 10:24 AM

One of the reasons for this was Edinburgh had a register of HIV residents whereas other major European cities didn't at the time or not as accurate.This made Edinburgh look like they had more then elsewhere. Given the major European cities with massive drug use it is hard to believe there were not a lot more cases unreported

JeMeSouviens
24-04-2019, 10:35 AM
John Lesley did a feature at Hibs for Blue Peter IIRC, I remember watching it when I was a lot younger.

He wore a Hands Off Hibs t-shirt on BP during the Mercer takeover attempt as well.