PDA

View Full Version : English top flight

greenlex
28-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Has there ever been a club in the English top flight that played in green?

johnbc70
28-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Has there ever been a club in the English top flight that played in green?

Liverpool had a green away strip in the 90s I believe, but cannot think of any that played in green as their home strip.

Renfrew_Hibby
28-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Norwich?

Smartie
28-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Man Utd?

Did they not wear green and yellow back when they were known as Newton Heath?

They released a special edition away kit in about 1996 that was meant to mimic it. Denis Irwin is the player that springs to mind wearing it.

Bostonhibby
28-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Original man utd. Green and gold

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
28-08-2017, 10:30 PM
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_United/Manchester_United.htm

Some crackers in there.

Not entirely unlike Hibs towards the end of the 19th century, they went on to have an Airdrie-inspired spell decades later.

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2017, 11:06 PM
What is surprising is the lack of top flight English clubs with a green strip, out of the traditional 92 only Plymouth Argyle and Yeovil Town that I can think of play in green .... in fact if you chuck in the Scottish leagues 40 clubs only 4 clubs in the top 8 divisions north and south of the border combined play in green.

I quite like that though ...... its nice being one of the few greens as opposed to the dozens of reds and blues :greengrin

Bristolhibby
29-08-2017, 09:19 AM
What is surprising is the lack of top flight English clubs with a green strip, out of the traditional 92 only Plymouth Argyle and Yeovil Town that I can think of play in green .... in fact if you chuck in the Scottish leagues 40 clubs only 4 clubs in the top 8 divisions north and south of the border combined play in green.

I quite like that though ...... its nice being one of the few greens as opposed to the dozens of reds and blues :greengrin

Add Forest Green Rovers to that elite band of greenies.

Interesting fact, Nailsworth in Gloucestershire is the smallest Town in England to have a football league team.

J

Colr
29-08-2017, 09:32 AM

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Yeovil_Town/Yeovil_Town.htm

Yeovil used to have a fine kit but then switched to save money on laundry detergent.

Clarence
29-08-2017, 09:44 AM
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Yeovil_Town/Yeovil_Town.htm

Yeovil used to have a fine kit but then switched to save money on laundry detergent.

Their name in 1895 suggests they were an exuberant bunch.

High-On-Hibs
29-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Green is frowned apon down there, that's why.

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Green is frowned apon down there, that's why.

I suppose with most senior clubs being founded in the 19th century there is something in that .... it wasn't popular to be Irish around that time and green has obvious connections to that country.

One modern spin off has been the fact that advertisers tend to reference teams in green like us with the BT ET advert and Plymouth Argyle with the AVIVA advert because its not as risky as using red or blue teams where you are bound to annoy a lot more supporters ...... BT didn't seem bothered that they might piss off the Jambos :greengrin

jgl07
29-08-2017, 01:15 PM
In England, it was assumed that the goalkeeper would play in green so teams avoided using green for their strip.

Back in the day, Plymouth Argyle were the only Football League club to play in green so it rarely caused an issue. Yeovil were in the depths of the Southern League so were not seen by the top clubs apart from the odd cup heroics on their notorious sloping pitch (eight feet side to side).

Mibbes Aye
29-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Man Utd?

Did they not wear green and yellow back when they were known as Newton Heath?

They released a special edition away kit in about 1996 that was meant to mimic it. Denis Irwin is the player that springs to mind wearing it.

They did have a commemorative kit but it was earlier than 1996, by a few years. It had an old-fashioned tie-up collar IIRC. Reason I remember it was Ryan Giggs. He was just breaking through and I remember him scoring some incredible goal wearing it, possibly a mazy dribble then a shot from range. This was very early in his career, around the same time Sky launched their football coverage.

Lancs Harp
29-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Quite an interesting article regarding keepers tops

www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/getting-shirty.html

Sergey
29-08-2017, 04:16 PM
A couple of teams in the Bostick Pub League play in Green. Leatherhead play in green with white sleeves, Hendon play in all green.

A nicely named seated enclosure at Hendon's new home at Silver Jubilee Park.

heretoday
29-08-2017, 06:43 PM
A couple of teams in the Bostick Pub League play in Green. Leatherhead play in green with white sleeves, Hendon play in all green.

A nicely named seated enclosure at Hendon's new home at Silver Jubilee Park.

Leatherhead green with white sleeves eh? I could have been born near there if circumstances had taken a different turn in 1953.

All this would have been a dream. Come on you Tanners!