PDA

View Full Version : Football has lost it NHC

Navids Numpties
28-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Ousmanne Dembele signs for Barca, costing €105m, on top of Neymar to PSG, signing for £198 million rising to £222m. 2 of the most expensive players ever in one window. I for the record had never heard of Dembele before this.

Liam89
28-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Ousmanne Dembele signs for Barca, costing €105m, on top of Neymar to PSG, signing for £198 million rising to £222m. 2 of the most expensive players ever in one window. I for the record had never heard of Dembele before this.

Mustn't be worth anything if ​you haven't heard of him!

brianmc
28-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Nae wonder you've never heard of him Xavi! You're still topping up your pension in the Middle East-hardly a place with its finger on the pulse of European football eh?

jgl07
28-08-2017, 07:52 PM
People were saying much the same when Tottenham signed Martin Chivers for £125,000 in the early 1960s.

hibee
28-08-2017, 07:57 PM
I'd never heard of him before seeing it in the news so you're not alone!

Iain G
28-08-2017, 07:59 PM

You forgot "Director of Football appoints himself as only man to direct the football the way he wants it directed"

Viva_Palmeiras
28-08-2017, 08:00 PM

And this in one of the countries most impacted and against austerity (sorry folks just for context) it's bizarre that there is a blind spot when it comes to football - that also applies here too folks talk about "fat cats" earning way over the odds of shop floor workers and the like and here we have the likes of Wayne Rooney (his name springs to mind because when we were "all in it together" he held out for a pay rise iirc for around £245k per week (but it is copa tres of vinho so maybe impaired ;)

Peevemor
28-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Dembele went from Rennes to Dortmund last summer for 15m€. Thanks to a sell on clause, they're about to cash-in again - reports vary from an extra 15m - 25m€.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Dembele went from Rennes to Dortmund last summer for 15m€. Thanks to a sell on clause, they're about to cash-in again - reports vary from an extra 15m - 25m€.

It's a racket. And ripe for money laundering...

ancient hibee
28-08-2017, 08:03 PM
The fees for Burke are also ridiculous.

Billy Whizz
28-08-2017, 08:06 PM
The fees for Burke are also ridiculous.

Agree, obviously Leipzig wanting to recoup their outlay, and more.

Ozyhibby
28-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Liverpool just got van Djick for £81m. Celtic will get £12m for doing nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
28-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Football has indeed lost it. Give me Scottish football over that over inflated greed any day.

MWHIBBIES
28-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Really no idea why everyone is so botheted by this, sit back and enjoy it, it doesnt effect you one little bit.

cocteautwin
29-08-2017, 02:15 AM
It's a racket. And ripe for money laundering...

Yup. This has a lot to do with the current insane prices. Club owners pay millions of pounds for players by taking dirty cash out their own countries. For Chinese owners they can pay a transfer fee with a China Unionpay card, believe it or not, and then recoup a large chunk of it offshore through agents fees and future re-sales. I have a close friend involved in transactions out of China and regularly gets sent Unionpay bank cards. When the transaction is processed there's a Chinese guy at the other end of the phone telling the pin code. Once the money has been transferred they are asked to destroy the bank card. There's a daily cash limit on taking cash out of China Unionpay but no limit on purchases. Crazy.

Phil MaGlass
29-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Give it another day or so, the rest of the world will be saying, "who the **** is this John McGinn, never heard of him" "he΄s from where"???

:greengrin

lyonhibs
29-08-2017, 05:42 AM
Really no idea why everyone is so botheted by this, sit back and enjoy it, it doesnt effect you one little bit.

This. If we're talking bonkers transfer fees and grubby agents, football "lost it" 20 odd years ago.

The wages I find slightly repugnant but the transfer fees merry go round is quite amusing, especially when Barca have spent about 150 Millon quid on 2 players unable to do keepy uppies.

hibsbollah
29-08-2017, 05:49 AM

:dunno: Of course it affects us, assuming that people who use hibs net also watch and have an interest in football.

AZhibee
29-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Global sport, global marketing and merchandising, wouldn't pay the fee if they weren't worth it. Second Tier football in Phoenix last weekend Barca, Real, Juventes, EPL, and Bundesliga tops all over the place (as well as one Hibs 2016-2017 away replica 😀). Curiously saw a couple PSG tops for the first time there, I wonder why? Also, Plenty of Chelsea tops in honor of player/owner Drogba - didnt play this time but Phoenix still won 3-1.

Ryan69
29-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Liverpool just got van Djick for £81m. Celtic will get £12m for doing nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Governments must be creaming it in then.

I mean I assume transfer fees and all these huge wages are getting taxed nicely.

Should make my tax irrelevant really. :)

HappyAsHellas
29-08-2017, 08:07 AM
The Chinese government announced a 100% tax on transfer fees for foreign players which might curb a bit of their spending.

hibsbollah
29-08-2017, 08:25 AM
The Chinese government announced a 100% tax on transfer fees for foreign players which might curb a bit of their spending.

... And ALL of that tax goes into youth development programs! It's not a central government tax. Also Chinese clubs can only have five foreigners on their books.

Keith_M
29-08-2017, 08:49 AM

I mean I assume transfer fees and all these huge wages are getting taxed nicely.

Taxes? In Football?

That's crazy talk!

heretoday
29-08-2017, 12:57 PM
18m for Wimmer. 40m for Oxlade-C.

These guys are average players. The world's gone mad.

MWHIBBIES
29-08-2017, 12:58 PM

AOC price is high but there is a rival tax in there. Could well go on to be a top player under the right coach. Wimmer is a good player who could play 10 years more at the top level, bargain for Stoke tbh

Onceinawhile
30-08-2017, 08:17 AM
AOC price is high but there is a rival tax in there. Could well go on to be a top player under the right coach. Wimmer is a good player who could play 10 years more at the top level, bargain for Stoke tbh

Rival tax and he's treated as home grown so there's that bumping it up too.

Onceinawhile
30-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Why would transfer fees be taxed?

Stuart93
30-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Spurs signed this guy for £3m, he's played 15 games and have sold him for £18m, making £1m for each game he played. Craziness

hibsbollah
30-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Why would transfer fees be taxed?

Fees won't be taxed, but Labour are proposing a 5% grass roots football' tax on TV companies profits.

CropleyWasGod
30-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Why would transfer fees be taxed?There's VAT on transfer fees.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
30-08-2017, 08:31 AM
The one that always gets me is Jordan Rhodes. The guy has had tens of millions spent on him to keep taking sideways steps. Talk of another £7M move to again stay in the Championship.

hibsbollah
30-08-2017, 08:49 AM
The one that always gets me is Jordan Rhodes. The guy has had tens of millions spent on him to keep taking sideways steps. Talk of another £7M move to again stay in the Championship.

Wages, not fees, is the thing that gets me. Samir Nasri looked like being one of the best players on the world at one time. The new Zidane. Made successive moves from Marseille to Arsenal and then to Man City in 2011. He's been there for 6 years, fallen out with coaches, being sent out on loan, and in general underperformed in comparison to his massive talent. But during that time he's been earning £200k a week, that's over £10million a year for those 6 years. He's now been transferred to a club in Turkey for just £3million because Man City were that desperate to get him off their books. Tens of millions have been chucked at him, he's rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams but has spent half of his career on the bench. Never mind, Man City gave him a mansion with a nightclub in the basement and he can buy his own Caribbean island.

jacomo
30-08-2017, 08:54 AM
People were saying much the same when Tottenham signed Martin Chivers for £125,000 in the early 1960s.

Adjusted for historic inflation, this is worth approx £3m today.

No other way of saying it - top level football is grotesque. There's a lack of playing facilities at the grass roots and ever more money being siphoned off at the top.

Lancs Harp
30-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Valuations are obviously based on what a buyer is willing to pay. As Tony Gale pointed out on SSN why is Coutinho being chased by Barca for about 130 million yet Sanchez is being touted about for about £50 million. An 80mill difference between the two? It all so seems crazy to me and you (and in reality, it is).

Onceinawhile
30-08-2017, 09:33 AM
There's VAT on transfer fees.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

There may well be, but a lot of the net spends are low compared to fees paid so there'll be a balance between input and output vat.

MWHIBBIES
30-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Valuations are obviously based on what a buyer is willing to pay. As Tony Gale pointed out on SSN why is Coutinho being chased by Barca for about 130 million yet Sanchez is being touted about for about £50 million. An 80mill difference between the two? It all so seems crazy to me and you (and in reality, it is).Sanchez walks for free next summer, Coutinho has years left on his deal.

Lancs Harp
30-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Sanchez walks for free next summer, Coutinho has years left on his deal.

Thats true MW but also adds to the debate that transfer fees is not just about a players ability, but who needs what as far as clubs are concerned, current contracts etc etc which has a direct link to our own situation and the valuation of SJM when people are discussing other transfer fees in relation to what John might or might not be worth.

The bottom line is that a player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him and what a selling club is willing to accept and whether the player concerned is happy to move on.

jacomo
30-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Are you joking? Who do you think is paying for this?

If you are a football fan, you are affected by it.

jgl07
30-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Wages, not fees, is the thing that gets me. Samir Nasri looked like being one of the best players on the world at one time. The new Zidane. Made successive moves from Marseille to Arsenal and then to Man City in 2011. He's been there for 6 years, fallen out with coaches, being sent out on loan, and in general underperformed in comparison to his massive talent. But during that time he's been earning £200k a week, that's over £10million a year for those 6 years. He's now been transferred to a club in Turkey for just £3million because Man City were that desperate to get him off their books. Tens of millions have been chucked at him, he's rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams but has spent half of his career on the bench. Never mind, Man City gave him a mansion with a nightclub in the basement and he can buy his own Caribbean island.

Aye and what did City achieve in the five years Nasri was playing for them apart from two League Championships, two League Cups, and a Champions League semi-final. He was a first team regular for the first team (apart from a few months out with injury) until the arrival of Pep Guardiola.

Never mind. Don't let the facts destroy a good doe of prejudice!

hibsbollah
30-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Aye and what did City achieve in the five years Nasri was playing for them apart from two League Championships, two League Cups, and a Champions League semi-final. He was a first team regular for the first team (apart from a few months out with injury) until the arrival of Pep Guardiola.

Never mind. Don't let the facts destroy a good doe of prejudice!.

Prejudice? :dunno: what evidence do you have that I'm prejudiced? He was a bit player for three of his six years at City and he's been paid tens of millions for sitting on the bench, those are facts.

WhileTheChief..
30-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Exactly. This chat about prices for players is tedious.

It's always been this way and always will be.

Folk should go watch amateur sport instead of bumping their gums every time a transfer takes place.

How the hell can anyone comment on the value of a player they've never heard of!!

one day maybe...
30-08-2017, 02:39 PM
It's a house of cards that will come tumbling down around them all

Wembley67
30-08-2017, 03:05 PM
It's a house of cards that will come tumbling down around them all

People keep on saying this and I really do not know how they think this is going to happen? Even without the Sky deal these clubs would still be doing exactly the same, the cards will not come tumbling down unless everyone stops taking an interest in football worldwide which is never going to happen!

jacomo
30-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Exactly. This chat about prices for players is tedious.

It's always been this way and always will be.

Folk should go watch amateur sport instead of bumping their gums every time a transfer takes place.

How the hell can anyone comment on the value of a player they've never heard of!!

The inflation in wages and transfer fees is unprecedented. The record transfer fee has more than doubled in 12 months.

This is not how it has 'always been'.

The people creaming off our money from the game are delighted at supine fans like you, who have no opinion on the obscene and ridiculous disparity in money except to criticise those who have an opinion.

WhileTheChief..
30-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Who are the people creaming the money off? The players?

Are you really suggesting that it's cause of 'people like me' that have caused this??!

I guess clubs need to run figures by people like you to decide what's appropriate or not?

I don't think there's anything obscene at all about the wages being paid or the transfer fees. Are you suggesting there should be a cap on both?

Are you suggesting any kind of alternative or are you just bumpin your gums some more?!:na na:

Haymaker
30-08-2017, 07:04 PM

Prejudice? :dunno: what evidence do you have that I'm prejudiced? He was a bit player for three of his six years at City and he's been paid tens of millions for sitting on the bench, those are facts.

:agree:

I loved him as a young player, thought he was going to the very top. Young men given so much money though.

jacomo
30-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Who are the people creaming the money off? The players?

Are you really suggesting that it's cause of 'people like me' that have caused this??!

I guess clubs need to run figures by people like you to decide what's appropriate or not?

I don't think there's anything obscene at all about the wages being paid or the transfer fees. Are you suggesting there should be a cap on both?

Are you suggesting any kind of alternative or are you just bumpin your gums some more?!:na na:

The players are at the end of a line that includes all sorts of hucksters and chancers. Of course the players aren't going to trim down a pay rise but many are being egged on by people only in it for themselves.

Clubs in the U.K. don't even adhere by their own Fit and Proper Person tests, let alone consider more fundamental changes such as the kind of ownership model used in Germany.

When kids can't find anywhere to play and schools can't afford to do football them yes it is obscene to see so much money lavished on so few.

One of the few things that might bring about change is public outcry - but you tell anyone concerned about where the game is going to go watch amateur sport instead.

I've no problem with footballers earning lots of money. Many of them don't come from much and football is like winning the lottery. Good luck to them.

But the game is corrupt.

hibsdaft
30-08-2017, 09:29 PM
And ripe for money laundering...

I've been wondering about that too. Some of this stuff looks very suspicious.

WhileTheChief..
31-08-2017, 11:44 AM
The players are at the end of a line that includes all sorts of hucksters and chancers. Of course the players aren't going to trim down a pay rise but many are being egged on by people only in it for themselves.

Clubs in the U.K. don't even adhere by their own Fit and Proper Person tests, let alone consider more fundamental changes such as the kind of ownership model used in Germany.

When kids can't find anywhere to play and schools can't afford to do football them yes it is obscene to see so much money lavished on so few.

One of the few things that might bring about change is public outcry - but you tell anyone concerned about where the game is going to go watch amateur sport instead.

I've no problem with footballers earning lots of money. Many of them don't come from much and football is like winning the lottery. Good luck to them.

But the game is corrupt.

You want public outcry to try and change things.

Could it maybe be that it is you that is out of touch?

I don't see any mass protests about this and reckon that's probably because most folk don't see it as a problem.

The game is not corrupt. That's typical hyperbole. If you really believed this I doubt you would continue to watch the game!

I really don't care about fit and proper tests, financial fair play or how much a players goes for when sold from Spain to France. None of that is football to me.

I'll continue to enjoy watching Hibs and other games that appeal without worrying about the financial aspects of the game or thinking that we've lost before a ball is kicked.

I do not take any responsibility at all for being 'supine' with my opinions and I'm not going to fall out or argue with another Hibby over how much someone earns. Peace.