PDA

View Full Version : On this day 28 August 1976

iwasthere1972
28-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Hibs played St Johnstone at Easter Road. Pat Stanton played his last game (coming on as a sub) before moving to Celtic. Attendance 5700. We thrashed the Saintees 9-2. Yes you read it correctly. 9-2. Two John Brownlie penalties, two goals apiece for Ally McLeod and Lindsay Muir, plus goals from Des Bremner, Arthur Duncan and Ally Scott.

Who was there? I was working in the Channel Islands so count me out.

connerg
28-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Hibs played St Johnstone at Easter Road. Pat Stanton played his last game (coming on as a sub) before moving to Celtic. Attendance 5700. We thrashed the Saintees 9-2. Yes you read it correctly. 9-2. Two John Brownlie penalties, two goals apiece for Ally McLeod and Lindsay Muir, plus goals from Des Bremner, Arthur Duncan and Ally Scott.

My Dad took me and we lost count of how many goals Hibs scored. :dunno:

iwasthere1972
28-08-2017, 02:16 PM
My Dad took me and we lost count of how many goals Hibs scored. :dunno:

You were still learning your three times table. :greengrin

Stantons Angel
28-08-2017, 02:47 PM
i remember being there and fuming that Pat was sitting on the bench, not knowing that was the last time id see him in his no4 jersey! Despite scoring 9 goals it was a sad day!So sad!

brog
28-08-2017, 03:06 PM
I was there. Lindsay Muir's last 2 goals for Hibs, he only scored 3. Next time I saw Lindsay score was for Edinburgh taxi drivers versus London cabbies in traditional pre Wembley clash!

hibby6270
28-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Aahh!! Henry Hall and all that. Think he might have scored one of the 2?
Yeah - I was there and to this day have only ever seen Hibs score a maximum of 9 goals in a game (there's been a few more since that St J game).

IberianHibernian
28-08-2017, 05:33 PM
I was there . Fact Ally Scott was in the team shows decline leading to relegation in 1980 started a few years before .

fat freddy
28-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I was in the Dunbar End and remember that lots of goals were scored but had no idea it was Pat's last game. Bombshells like that came to you via Evening News billboards back then, thats how you found out everything. Stewart Brown and Ian McNiven were the internet

IberianHibernian
28-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Seem to remember Pat`s departure was announced the following Wednesday just before we played Montrose at home in final group match . Atmosphere like in a morgue and goalless draw ( from 9 to 0 in four days ) . Don`t think Jackie McNamara made debut till Saturday ( home defeat v Dundee United in first league game ) but it was a very sad week at ER despite 9 goals v Saints .

IberianHibernian
28-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Aahh!! Henry Hall and all that. Think he might have scored one of the 2?
Yeah - I was there and to this day have only ever seen Hibs score a maximum of 9 goals in a game (there's been a few more since that St J game). 9 against Rosenborg but that might have been before . 9 against Killie maybe or was it only 7 ? Montrose / Arbroath ?

my left peg
28-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Eight against killie. ..I remember the st Johnstone game...lift over the turnstile in the north enclosure and found 10p!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

tynehibs
28-08-2017, 07:26 PM
I was at the game and seem to remember the rumour just prior to kick off was pat was leaving?

hibsboy07
28-08-2017, 08:25 PM
9 against Rosenborg but that might have been before . 9 against Killie maybe or was it only 7 ? Montrose / Arbroath ?

Montrose

Moulin Yarns
28-08-2017, 09:26 PM

I was there with a non Hibs fan who confidently said if Hibs scored 7 he would buy a Hibs scarf

oneone73
28-08-2017, 09:30 PM
9 against Rosenborg but that might have been before . 9 against Killie maybe or was it only 7 ? Montrose / Arbroath ?

I have it in my mind that Rosenborg was in '75 - centenary year. Could be wrong though.

The Pointer
28-08-2017, 09:52 PM
I think was at it, possibly in the enclosure for some reason. Went on my Colin Todd and remember loads of goals.

green with envy
28-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Was also there. I was only 13/14 and don't remember much about the game but i do remember Mike McDonald was in goals and also remember where i was standing and who with. It was also the second time i had seen Hibs score 9 goals, Rosenburg being the first. This later became the third time after watching us score 9 against Montrose.

hibbie02
28-08-2017, 10:05 PM
I used to work with Lindsay Muir, before he went on the Taxis.

hibby6270
29-08-2017, 11:00 PM
I have it in my mind that Rosenborg was in '75 - centenary year. Could be wrong though.

Rosenberg was Sep/Oct 1974, so yeah part of the 74/75 season.
For the record, Montrose game was in 2003. St J game as quoted.

As I said earlier, the only 3 games I've seen Hibs score 9 goals.
Checked up on this and last time we scored 10 goals in a game was Dec 1959 against Patrick Thistle. I would have been 1 year old, so sadly didn't make the game.:wink:

In my lifetime (since 1958), there's only been four other games we've scored more than 10 goals. I might have been at one or two of those games back in '65 but can't honestly remember. So for now, will make do with knowing the 3 possible games that 9 goals have been scored in my lifetime, I have been at ER to see them.

Who knows. Never believed I'd see the Scottish Cup being won, so there is still a chance I'll see 10 goals (or more) scored one day.

cocteautwin
30-08-2017, 02:55 AM
I was at this match, only 9 years old. I went with my mate Peter and his dad and remember being so excited to get home and tell my own dad we had scored 9, forgetting that of course my dad would have been watching Grandstand and would have known the result about an hour earlier. Duh.

Deansy
30-08-2017, 05:35 AM
I missed that match due to being stuck in Falkirk as our van had broken down and was fuming when I heard the final score and I'd mssed it - was nothing compared to how I felt when news broke that Pat had went to THEM - GUTTED doesn't quite cover it !

green with envy
30-08-2017, 05:52 AM
I missed that match due to being stuck in Falkirk as our van had broken down and was fuming when I heard the final score and I'd mssed it - was nothing compared to how I felt when news broke that Pat had went to THEM - GUTTED doesn't quite cover it !

Gutted was understatement! From memory i'm pretty sure the news broke just before we were due to play Montrose in a midweek cup-tie?

brog
30-08-2017, 07:28 AM
I have a vague memory that this was 1st game for The Proclaimers & started their love of Hibs. It's a nice thought that the genesis of Sunshine On Leith coincided with King Pat's departure.

brog
30-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Rosenberg was Sep/Oct 1974, so yeah part of the 74/75 season.
For the record, Montrose game was in 2003. St J game as quoted.

As I said earlier, the only 3 games I've seen Hibs score 9 goals.
Checked up on this and last time we scored 10 goals in a game was Dec 1959 against Patrick Thistle. I would have been 1 year old, so sadly didn't make the game.:wink:

In my lifetime (since 1958), there's only been four other games we've scored more than 10 goals. I might have been at one or two of those games back in '65 but can't honestly remember. So for now, will make do with knowing the 3 possible games that 9 goals have been scored in my lifetime, I have been at ER to see them.

Who knows. Never believed I'd see the Scottish Cup being won, so there is still a chance I'll see 10 goals (or more) scored one day.

I've been lucky enough to see us score 15 goals in one game, versus Peebles Rovers with Joe scoring 9 & us scoring 11 twice, versus Alloa & Hamilton. In the 59/60 season you refer to we actually beat Airdrie 11-1 away from home 2 months before we scored 10 at Firhill. IIRC Yams won their favourite trophy, the wee cup on same day we beat Airdrie. If you went to every Hibs league game that season you would have seen an astonishing 191 goals, 106 for Hibs. That followed a LC campaign where we lost all 6 games played & conceded 25! Gotta love Hibs!

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2017, 08:13 AM
I was there in the Dunbar end. Think I took a school mate that day for his first game. Terrible terrible atmosphere at ER back then with 5000 crowds in a huge stadium.