PDA

View Full Version : Clubs in away strips !!!

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2017, 01:05 AM
What's the bloody score with clubs wearing their away strip when there's no colour clash? ..... One of the things about getting back to the premiership was getting to see Hibs play a few of the clubs we haven't seen for a while, but what happens, Partick Thisltle turn up at ER and play in black, Hamilton turn up at ER and play in blue ..... they could have been anybody. When I go to see Hibs play a team I want them to be recognisable as that team, I get that clubs need to plug their away strips from a marketing point of view, but there should be a limit to the number of games they are allowed to wear it in.

Its the same all around the league, the Yams wore their away strip at Motherwell yesterday, even though amber v maroon is hardly a colour clash ..... like most football fans I'm a traditionalist and Hibs v Partick Thistle for example to me means Green and White v Red and Yellow .... I don't mind seeing the odd team in an away strip, buts that's two in a row at ER already .... our next home game is Motherwell, I'm going to be a bit pissed if they turn up in red or something :fuming:

bubblesmorrison
28-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Its called an away strip what's wrong with teams wearing it away from home?

Scouse Hibee
28-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Nothing wrong with wearing your away strip when you're away from home surely? Plenty of folk spend money on buying it so only right the
team wear it as often as they can.Is this really a moan about teams wearing their away strip when tbey are the away team!

Keith_M
28-08-2017, 06:03 AM
The very concept of an 'Away' strip is stupid.

It used to be the case that teams had a 2nd or change strip, only ever used if there was a colour clash. That should never have changed.

If clubs want o advertise their change strip, do it in the Match Programme or online.

heretoday
28-08-2017, 06:14 AM
You're right and sometimes the away strip even clashes with the home strip which is pretty daft.
So it must be about money - extracting as much as possible from our bulging pockets by selling shirts we think we need.
I was glad to see Hibs in green yesterday though and not some horrible yellow or pastel concoction. No way they could have worn black anyway!

offshorehibby
28-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Hibs should always play in Green & White unless there is a clash and then 2nd strip comes into play.

lyonhibs
28-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Nothing wrong with wearing your away strip when you're away from home surely? Plenty of folk spend money on buying it so only right the
team wear it as often as they can.Is this really a moan about teams wearing their away strip when tbey are the away team!

I honestly think it is. Away from home, wear away strip IMO. Except Tynecastle and Ibrox where the sight of green and white sends the locals into such a mouth foaming blind fury that it's worth it.

Whether there is a need for a "proper" away kit is a different debate but as things stand we've got them.

Bristolhibby
28-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Pretty sure last season we wore our Away shirt to most away games.

J

Big_Franck
28-08-2017, 07:14 AM
What's the bloody score with clubs wearing their away strip when there's no colour clash? ..... One of the things about getting back to the premiership was getting to see Hibs play a few of the clubs we haven't seen for a while, but what happens, Partick Thisltle turn up at ER and play in black, Hamilton turn up at ER and play in blue ..... they could have been anybody. When I go to see Hibs play a team I want them to be recognisable as that team, I get that clubs need to plug their away strips from a marketing point of view, but there should be a limit to the number of games they are allowed to wear it in.

Its the same all around the league, the Yams wore their away strip at Motherwell yesterday, even though amber v maroon is hardly a colour clash ..... like most football fans I'm a traditionalist and Hibs v Partick Thistle for example to me means Green and White v Red and Yellow .... I don't mind seeing the odd team in an away strip, buts that's two in a row at ER already .... our next home game is Motherwell, I'm going to be a bit pissed if they turn up in red or something :fuming:

I agree, i'm always a wee bit disappointed to see us playing in anything other than green and white against anyone bar celtc.

Likewise when teams turn up to easter road I prefer seeing them in their traditional colours, when they wear colours I dont assocciate with that team it takes something away from the spectacle for me.

Craigmount Hibs
28-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Pretty sure last season we wore our Away shirt to most away games.

J

We did. Every single one, apart from the Scottish Cup game at the midden vs Potter and the semi final vs Aberdeen.

Lancs Harp
28-08-2017, 08:01 AM
These days it has very little to do with a clash of colours and more to do with the contract wit the kit manufacturer and the fact that they and the Club want to sell shirts. Hibs and other Clubs will be contracted to wear their "away" strip or whatever you want to call it a certain amount of minimum times. They best way of selling the shirt is for the team to wear it. We'd have worn our black strip yesterday at Dundee if it hadnt have clashed with their navy blue home shirt. Its how it is these days fellas and I doubt those of a younger dispositon feel the same outrage as us older gentlemen (and ladies) its something they have got used to.

headshrinker
28-08-2017, 08:14 AM
I think there is a contractual element. The away strip must be worn a certain amount of times in a season.

dp00
28-08-2017, 08:53 AM
How times have changed ... if all we are moaning about is wearing our away strip instead of our home ... I'll live [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
28-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Business is business and sentiment must take a hike.

Billy McKirdy
28-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Business is business and sentiment must take a hike.

I wish business would take a hike.
I'm with the OP here

Keith_M
28-08-2017, 09:20 AM
There's a few comments on it being a contractual obilgation to play the 'away' strip but does anybody know that for certain?

Also, I'd be very interested to know how much difference it really makes to the club's income by playing every away game in a change strip. I'd be very surprised if the figure is the least bit significant, as the club used to sell loads of change strips before this became a common practice.

If we really want to put a couple of extra quid before the traditions of the club, why don't we just change to playing in red and market ourselves in China, ala Cardiff City?

Bristolhibby
28-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm assuming we will be in Green at Tynecastle, Pittrodrie.

J

NAE NOOKIE
28-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Its called an away strip what's wrong with teams wearing it away from home?

Back in the day it was called a change kit .... the reason for it was you had to have a 2nd kit available in case of a colour clash. Then it became an 'away' kit and a way to sook up more money from the fans.

But here's the thing ......... how many folk buy both tops at £45 a pop? I would imagine that most folk buy either or but not both, I would be very surprised if the difference in money to be made is in any way significant from if a club only produced a 'home' top ..... perhaps if you are Man Utd, but not clubs of our size.

There's a reason that Hibs changed to green shorts the day Real Madrid came calling, the club knew the fans would be disappointed if Real ran out wearing purple or black instead of their famous all white kit ..... Partick Thistle might not be Real Madrid, but I still feel a little let down when they don't play at ER in their traditional colours and the same goes for the other clubs we play.

Imagine if one day in the future we were lucky enough to draw Man Utd or Liverpool in Europe ...... I would be absolutely gutted if Hibs ran out at Old Trafford or Anfield wearing black instead of green and white.

Green Diet
28-08-2017, 10:46 AM
I wonder how each club decide when to play in their away strip. Obviously the decision is made for them if there is a colour clash but otherwise for Hibs it seems pretty random.

cabbageandribs1875
28-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Aberdeen played in an all blue strip on sat, WTF is that all about :bitchy:

Bristolhibby
28-08-2017, 11:18 AM
I wonder how each club decide when to play in their away strip. Obviously the decision is made for them if there is a colour clash but otherwise for Hibs it seems pretty random.

Every away game last season. However some iconic games have to be green and white.

Hearts, The Rangers and Aberdeen to name a few.

J

Keith_M
28-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Every away game last season. However some iconic games have to be green and white.

Hearts, The Rangers and Aberdeen to name a few.

J

Celtc?

:greengrin

ancient hibee
28-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Back in the day it was called a change kit .... the reason for it was you had to have a 2nd kit available in case of a colour clash. Then it became an 'away' kit and a way to sook up more money from the fans.

But here's the thing ......... how many folk buy both tops at £45 a pop? I would imagine that most folk buy either or but not both, I would be very surprised if the difference in money to be made is in any way significant from if a club only produced a 'home' top ..... perhaps if you are Man Utd, but not clubs of our size.

There's a reason that Hibs changed to green shorts the day Real Madrid came calling, the club knew the fans would be disappointed if Real ran out wearing purple or black instead of their famous all white kit ..... Partick Thistle might not be Real Madrid, but I still feel a little let down when they don't play at ER in their traditional colours and the same goes for the other clubs we play.

Imagine if one day in the future we were lucky enough to draw Man Utd or Liverpool in Europe ...... I would be absolutely gutted if Hibs ran out at Old Trafford or Anfield wearing black instead of green and white.

You're almost right with your Real Madrid comment except--Real insisted that when they played a friendly the other club could not clash in any way so no white shorts.It's now called an away strip because it has to be registered but we all know it's only a money raiser because we clash with nobody.

wookie70
28-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Hearts wore they change strip again Motherwell which resulted in both teams wearing pretty much the same colour shorts. It clashed more than if Hearts had wore their brutal home strip. Saying that the away one is pretty much equally honking. I think we should wear our change strip if we need to avoid a clash. In Scotland that is with no-one for the top. Change shorts against Cetc to green if needs be.

Radium
28-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Did we not wear that Thistle strip at home to Motherwell who wore their grey away strip a few years ago. Remember thinking it looked dreadful

Pretty Boy
28-08-2017, 07:24 PM
I'm assuming we will be in Green at Tynecastle, Pittrodrie.

J

I remember us wearing away strips at Aberdeen a lot in the last few years prior to relegation. Not sure why but it seemed to be a bit of a habit.

Glory Lurker
28-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Do kids nowadays know what colour teams' home strips are?

bod
28-08-2017, 07:35 PM
why does the ref have a change strip ?

calumhibee1
28-08-2017, 07:51 PM
How times have changed ... if all we are moaning about is wearing our away strip instead of our home ... I'll live [emoji23]

It's no even our away that folk are moaning about, it's other teams!

hibstag
28-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Did we not wear that Thistle strip at home to Motherwell who wore their grey away strip a few years ago.

yep watching that game was like having the tv on the blink

WeeRussell
29-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Are people genuinely bothered what our OPPONENT'S strip colour is when we play?! Each to their own of course, but I don't particularly mind which strip Hibs play in never mind anyone else.

At least things must be going well though... I don't mind reading about his sort of gripe compared to the usual we get :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
29-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Are people genuinely bothered what our OPPONENT'S strip colour is when we play?! Each to their own of course, but I don't particularly mind which strip Hibs play in never mind anyone else.

At least things must be going well though... I don't mind reading about his sort of gripe compared to the usual we get :greengrin

It all depends on what you look for I suppose:

Would Tommy Cooper have been any less funny in a flat cap rather than the fez? Probably not, but you would have been disappointed if he wasn't wearing it and you had paid to see him.

If Hibs had been allowed to do a lap of honour after the cup final and they had all been in T shirts advertising cheese like Killie did a few years back ( to the outrage of their fans ) would it really have mattered? ...... it would still be Hibs after all.

I don't mind seeing Hibs in their away strip from time to time .... I don't mind seeing teams at ER in their away strip from time to time either. But so far we have played two league games against teams we don't clash with both of whom played in their away strip, I will be very disappointed if that trend continues because for me it detracts somewhat from the spectacle.

Eyrie
29-08-2017, 07:56 PM
If Hibs had been allowed to do a lap of honour after the cup final and they had all been in T shirts advertising cheese like Killie did a few years back ( to the outrage of their fans ) would it really have mattered? ...... it would still be Hibs after all.

Thinking back three seasons to when we had the ridiculous green t-shirts, I have to agree with you that teams should wear their proper strip except when there is a clash.

Lago
29-08-2017, 08:19 PM
It all depends on what you look for I suppose:

Would Tommy Cooper have been any less funny in a flat cap rather than the fez? Probably not, but you would have been disappointed if he wasn't wearing it and you had paid to see him.

I don't mind seeing Hibs in their away strip from time to time .... I don't mind seeing teams at ER in their away strip from time to time either. But so far we have played two league games against teams we don't clash with both of whom played in their away strip, I will be very disappointed if that trend continues because for me it detracts somewhat from the spectacle.
I have great sympathy for your concerns re strips & I to like the idea of teams playing in their true colours, but I'm afraid the days of iconic strip are gone, looking down South I don't recognise half the strips, also since advent of squad numbers on strips I hate them, 1 to 11, but then I'm of a certain age & generation.

james62
31-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Aberdeen played in an all blue strip on sat, WTF is that all about :bitchy:

Going by the results of the last election it might have something to do with keeping the locals happy 😂