PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Barker - impressive!

California-Hibs
27-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Let's give this lad his own thread. Thought he looked very decent today. Great pace and close control, always looked to take a man on and not afraid to shoot from distance. Should definitely have scored the 1 on 1 but overall I thought he was one of if not, our best player today. Good addition on the face of things. Hopefully the injury isn't bad?

High-On-Hibs
27-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Really impressed from what i've seen from him so far. I think sometimes he tries to do a bit too much himself though. But he'll certainly be a key player for us this season by the looks of it.

Steve20
27-08-2017, 02:49 PM
The 1 on 1 was appalling. But he showed enough that says he's going to be a very good player for us.

Big_Franck
27-08-2017, 02:52 PM
I thought he looked very promising on his full debut today. I was a bit apprehensive about this signing as normally loan signings from England turn out to be gash. He's quick, direct, has good close control and glides past players like they aren't there are times. Having said that he did look easily brushed off the ball, was a bit greedy at times and missed our best chance to win the game. I suppose if he was perfect he wouldn't be here on loan though. Looking forward to see more of him this season.

Johnny_Leith
27-08-2017, 02:53 PM
The 1 on 1 was appalling. But he showed enough that says he's going to be a very good player for us.
Hardly appalling, ridiculous to say that, he didn't get the ball out his feet. I think he did well, didn't get past his man every time bit of he did he wouldn't be here, showed enough to think he'll be an asset.

Edit - do you think about the words you use? Apalling wpuld be fair for Cummings miss v Raith for example, bit BB's chance was nowhere near as easy?? Have a word man, can't believe you're coming from out with that

Pete
27-08-2017, 02:53 PM

I agree. However, let's see what he's like when he's up to speed.

Assists and goals galore!

Heisenberg
27-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Hope his injury isn't too bad.

Lancs Harp
27-08-2017, 02:59 PM

He's fine its just bruising, he fell on his wallet.

Joking aside this lad has got great potential and he showed glimpses of that today. His "finish" on the one on one was disappointing but I think "appalling" is a bit strong.

Peevemor
27-08-2017, 02:59 PM

He felt something go straight away and didn't even try to move. He seemed to walk off OK though so here's hoping.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Started well but faded. Obviously needs games.

Encouraging start and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Sir David Gray
27-08-2017, 03:03 PM
He was excellent today.

truehibernian
27-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Very decent showing today, should have finished when put through but a bit like Leigh at times he just wanted the ball to sit perfectly and you don't get that time at this level. Great little take and give for the goal which kept the move going - willing to take a player on which is great to see. Him and Boyle on either flank will be fantastic to watch in my opinion.

Hibee Mac
27-08-2017, 03:20 PM
I think he's got ability but he tries to do it all himself too many times, jumped away from a 50/50 as well which I don't like to see.

Honestly I'd prefer Boyle back we've really missed him.

Nicho87
27-08-2017, 03:21 PM
He has easily 5 yards start on one on one. Played well in flashes first half. Second half not so much. I can see him being a decent addition whilst frustrating

cleanyman
27-08-2017, 03:21 PM
I thought he was okay

Going to take a while to adjust to the big league

truehibernian
27-08-2017, 03:34 PM
I think he's got ability but he tries to do it all himself too many times, jumped away from a 50/50 as well which I don't like to see.

Honestly I'd prefer Boyle back we've really missed him.

If it's the one in the second half you're referring to I'd have anticipated that and avoided contact too - don't think you can fault a player for not wanting to take an injury and the ball was loose but in the defender's favour to win it. Appreciate you want committed players but often you just know you aren't winning a challenge so why risk an injury ?

Northernhibee
27-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Boyle one side and Barker on the other should be fruitful.

Elephant Stone
27-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Boyle one side and Barker on the other should be fruitful.

Dangerous dedicated wingers on both sides will be amazing. Not sure I've ever been able to see that at Hibs.

ancient hibee
27-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Started well but faded. Obviously needs games.

Encouraging start and hopefully a sign of things to come.
Don't think he faded.After all he got injured tracking back.

Hibee Mac
27-08-2017, 03:50 PM
If it's the one in the second half you're referring to I'd have anticipated that and avoided contact too - don't think you can fault a player for not wanting to take an injury and the ball was loose but in the defender's favour to win it. Appreciate you want committed players but often you just know you aren't winning a challenge so why risk an injury ?

Fair enough I understand that, I'd need to see it again but you're probably right it was less favourable than a 50/50. However I think it was the fact he did the same against Hamilton too that made me notice more.

essexhibee
27-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Gave us another dimension but should have buried that one on one.

Will be interesting to see if we play him and Boyle together.

NOLA
27-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Poor mans Tony Rougier [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch Stanton
27-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Until the ball was deflected the Stokes shot was being covered by Bain. If there was no deflection and Bain had saved it would we be castigating Stokes for a woeful miss? No doubt.

Is there really no chance that Bain did well saving Barker's shot?

Personnally I think Bain gave them a point today - great goalkeeping!

Ronniekirk
27-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Looks a talent hope injury not too bad But great chance to win us the game and the ball through from S J M was Sublime

Lancs Harp
27-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Looks a talent hope injury not too bad But great chance to win us the game and the ball through from S J M was Sublime

That pass from McGinn was top drawer.

CockneyRebel
27-08-2017, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=NOLA;5154620]Poor mans Tony Rougier [emoji122]

Don't like like knocking fellow hibees but that comment is so far off the mark you are either pis*ed or past saving.

Onceinawhile
27-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Played well in the first half but hardly kicked it in the second. Missed a good chance. Room for improvement but promising.

poolman
27-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Poor mans Tony Rougier [emoji122]

Aye, OK then 😴

NOLA
27-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Lol [emoji38] I should have used a sarcastic emoji [emoji106]

jgl07
27-08-2017, 11:10 PM
I agree. However, let's see what he's like when he's up to speed.

Assists and goals galore!

I thought he did well.

A little 'ruff' around the edges perhaps!

BSEJVT
28-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Have to say I agree with OP on that tackle, he didn't fancy it one little bit IMO and didn't even attempt a tackle and like OP I also saw him do something similar against Hamilton.

IMO the ball was there to be challenged for.

More than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as TV doesn't tell the whole story without multiple replays from all angles and he hasn't played much but its not something I like seeing in players.

He is a bit of a conundrum to me, his initial burst of pace is excellent but guys he has left for dead at the outset get back at him by the end.

IMO if we are going to persist with him and / or Boyle we need a presence in the middle, Stokes isn't in their often enough and Murray has been woeful the last 2 games and doesn't offer that presence anyway

Far too often we get past the last defender in the wide areas and the player looks up to see one Hibs forward surrounded by 4 defenders. We need to give these guys more to aim at.

neil7908
28-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Him on the left, Boyle on the right with Stokes down the middle. Murray and/or Matulevičius to come in depending on the opposition.

Decent set of options but missing one more quality attacker. Moult and Commons would be sensational.

greenlex
28-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Have to say I agree with OP on that tackle, he didn't fancy it one little bit IMO and didn't even attempt a tackle and like OP I also saw him do something similar against Hamilton.

More than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as TV doesn't tell the whole story without multiple replays from all angles and he hasn't played much but its not something I like seeing in players.

He is a bit of a conundrum to me, his initial burst of pace is excellent but guys he has left for dead at the outset get back at him by the end.

IMO if we are going to persist with him and / or Boyle we need a presence in the middle, Stokes isn't in their often enough and Murray has been woeful the last 2 games and doesn't offer that presence anyway

Far too often we get past the last defender in the wide areas and the player looks up to see one Hibs forward surrounded by 4 defenders. We need to give these guys more to aim at.

Harsh on Murray. Zero service last week and little this week. He still gave their centre backs a game tho.

Peevemor
28-08-2017, 09:48 AM
I just watched Barker's post match interview on Hibs TV. He said that was his first match in 6 months and he was surprised that he lasted 75 minutes. There was no mention of an injury so I'd imagine he'll be OK for 2 weeks time.

He comes across as a really nice guy.

frazeHFC
28-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Some of the stuff he tried didn't work, but at least he was willing to take his man on every time. Shame he never converted the 1-on-1 but promising performance. How we never won that game I'll never know.

BSEJVT
28-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Harsh on Murray. Zero service last week and little this week. He still gave their centre backs a game tho.

Sorry I don't agree, I thought he was really really poor last 2 weeks after being excellent up until then.

I don't think he gave their centre backs much to do at all

Wrong side of every ball, link up play poor and always seemed to be in the wrong place.

I have been more than pleasantly surprised by Simon Murray overall to date but IMO he has contributed very little to our last two games.

I think our passing forward has changed to accommodate Stokes who takes up great if often wide possession and Murray is looking more peripheral game by game.

Pre Stokes we played a more direct game which stretched the gap between their defence and midfield, which gave Murray far more space to run onto things and more room to play in which IMO far better suits his strengths.

I have my doubts him and Stokes can form an effective long term partnership and IMO both are better playing with another striker, although Murray is more capable of playing on his own

Stokes looks better to me playing of a big guy, much of Stokes interplay is passes and flicks round corners for his strike partner to take in back to goals and Murray cant do that, big Davey could

I read on another thread that with the squad we have.......

IMO we are pretty light squad wise particularly in forward areas I don't think Fraser Murray is anywhere near ready for the hurly burly of the SPL yet. IMO he has looked totally lost and timid against Ross County & Dundee.

I would like another 2 forwards, one of whom to be a striker another a Liam Henderson / Commons type of creative player.

sleeping giant
28-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I think he looks an excellent player.
Looks to have real quality about him.

Stokesy's on fire
28-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Brandon Barker was very good for Hibernian yesterday.

hughio
28-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Dangerous dedicated wingers on both sides will be amazing. Not sure I've ever been able to see that at Hibs.

Eric Stevenson left and Peter Marinello right.

I like the look of Mr Barker.
Him left and squirrel right would be magic.

Billy McKirdy
28-08-2017, 11:52 AM
I knew he would come good 😉

G B Young
28-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Kevin McAllister and Michael O'Neill gave us some exciting days under Alex Miller.

I thought Barker did well yesterday. Looked a real threat going at the Dundee defence.

SirDavidsNapper
28-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Was quite sceptical when we signed him as English youngsters are usually vastly overrated. Got to say he made me eat my words yesterday. Once properly settled and up to speed I think he'll be excellent.

ancient hibee
28-08-2017, 05:32 PM

Far too often we get past the last defender in the wide areas and the player looks up to see one Hibs forward surrounded by 4 defenders.

e need to give these guys more to aim at.

He certainly didn't pull out of the tackle when he injured himself did he ?

BSEJVT
28-08-2017, 05:53 PM
He certainly didn't pull out of the tackle when he injured himself did he ?

No he did not.

Which is one of the reasons I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, but to be fair the two situations are in no way comparable.

Anyone not prepared to put in the second tackle would IMO have no place in football.

Whether they were capable of executing it as well as Brandon did or not at all would be irrelevant.

Sammy7nil
28-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Following on from the Slivka thread Brandon is class, he must be first pick, MoM, etc etc :greengrin
The boy did okay looks like he has some talent lets just see where he is in 6 - 8 weeks.