PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

Northernhibee
27-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Marciano - 7. Little of note to do and unlucky not to reach the penalty.
Gray - 6.5. Plenty of running in him, final ball as ever could have been slightly better.
McGregor - 6. Hope he's back before too long.
Hanlon - 7. Very solid performance.
Whittaker - 7. Awful first ten minutes but redeemed himself after that by winning most things and a lovely pass for the goal.

Slivka - 7. Neat, tidy and unafraid to battle for it.
McGinn - 7. Occasionally a little sloppy with the ball but drove the team higher up the pitch most times he got it.
Bartley - 8. No end of workrate from the big man and bossed the midfield.
Barker - 7. Caused them a lot of headaches. Hope the injury isn't too bad as he looks handy. Thought he was being held back when he went 1 on 1 with their keeper.

S. Murray - 5.5. Offered very little.
Stokes - 6.5. Nicely taken goal and put in more effort than last week.

Fraser Murray - 5.5 - Not the right sub to bring on at the time.
Efe Ambrose - 6.5 - Composed on the ball.
McGeouch - don't think he had enough time to influence the game.

Lennon - 6.5 to 7. Wouldn't have made the Murray for Murray sub as I thought the game was crying out for big Davey. I do wonder if the teams are going onto the pitch suitably prepared on how the opposition is going to attack us as we seem to consistently start poorly.

Elephant Stone
27-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Marciano 7 - Had nothing to do.

Whittaker 7 - Started off really poorly but thought he grew into the game. Had a few decent, clean tackles and offered something new in an attacking sense on the left side.

Hanlon 8 - Solid as always.

McGregor 7

Gray - 7 Thought he looked slow and maybe a bit unfit. Otherwise solid.

Barker 7.5 Really like him, should have scored though.

McGinn 6

Bartley 8. MOTM. In the right place at the right time, time and time again. Solid. Could have scored but definitely not going to hold that against him. Should keep his place next week.

Slivka 6.5 You can see his quality but I thought he could have shown a bit more hunger and got involved a bit more. Some really slack crossing as well.

Stokes 8 - Beautiful finish, decent work rate.

Murray 6 - Lovely turn and shot in the first half, think he is surprising a lot of people with his technical ability. Will only get better. Should have scored that chance towards the end though,

F. Murray - 3. Meek. Not a lot of time to impose himself on the game though.

Ambrose 6. Had a shaky moment when he backed off their attacking player and then committed himself again, completely missing the tackle. Otherwise decent.

High-On-Hibs
27-08-2017, 02:37 PM
McGinn was nowhere near a 7. Arguably our poorest player on the day. His passing was slack and his decision making wasn't great either.

California-Hibs
27-08-2017, 02:42 PM
McGinn was nowhere near a 7. Arguably our poorest player on the day. His passing was slack and his decision making wasn't great either.

Just what I was going to say also. Never a 7 rating in a million years. 4

Johnny_Leith
27-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Watched the game on hibs TV, thought McGinn drive us forward as much as possible! Another needless pen gicne away, need to work on not giving team a goal head start. Apart from that Dundee rarely threatened and we were by far the more enterprising team

Steve20
27-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Nah. McGinn was fine today. No way in this world was he worse than Whittaker.

BoomtownHibees
27-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Nah. McGinn was fine today. No way in this world was he worse than Whittaker.

Whittaker was good other than at the pen/no pen

Northernhibee
27-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Agreed.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Agreed. His 1st 3 touches of the 2nd half were 2 passes to a Dundee player and a pass that put Bartley in all kinds of bother. He battled away and showed flashes but it was a poor game by his standards.

It's unlike him though so I think we can forgive him one.

Pretty Boy
27-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Spot on. Both full backs were good today, as is usually the case tbf, apart from a few seconds of madness.

NAE NOOKIE
27-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Marciano ....... 6 ...... Didn't have a lot to do, but was decent on the ball.

Gray ..... 6 ...... Defended well and Dundee didn't get much joy down his side, delivery could have been better

McGregor ... 6 .... Looked a wee bit off his usual self and could be carrying an injury hence his substitution at half time.

Hanlon ... 7 ..... Solid and gave little or nothing away.

Whittaker .... 6 .... His first 15 minutes were a 3, he looked slow and gifted the Dundee forward the chance to fall over for the pen, after that much better and a good ball for our goal.

Bartley ...... 8 ..... Broke up Dundee's play time and again and was decent in possession, for a second I thought we were going to see a goal from him, he must have got a nose bleed ending up so far up the pitch :greengrin

Slivka .... 6 .... neat and tidy as usual, but I would like to see him hunting the ball down and trying harder to make things happen.

McGinn .... 6 .... Keeps possession in situations where 90% of players would lose the ball, but his passing was off as was his decision making at times, I want to see him influence the game a lot more in the final third.

Barker .... 7 .... Unlucky not to score a few times, I can forgive him the one on one coz the Dundee defender did a good job of putting him off, overall a very encouraging performance though, I hope he's ok.

Stokes .... 6 ...... Much better from him and a great near post run for his goal, I've taken a point off for his idiotic foul on the keeper, I cant be doing with players who pick up needless bookings for stupid actions, celebrating a goal or in the heat of the action I can understand, but not pre meditated daftness.

Murray .... 5 ..... Not his best game for Hibs and pretty anonymous really apart from a good turn and shot and that chance he ballooned miles wide from a decent position.

SUBS:

Ambrose ..... 5 .... Did very well when he came on, sold himself once but I could see why he thought he had to make the challenge.

Murray .... 4 .... I like this kid and the way he always looks to get into the box, IMO he had to snatch at his chance and was a bit unlucky it went straight to the keeper.

McGeouch ..... 3 ..... No time to have any influence on the game.

Neil Lennon ...... 6 ...... A much better performance from Hibs this week and a game we could ( should? ) have won, it would have been a 7 but I just don't understand why he brought Murray on rather than big Dave when we were winning corner after corner and getting the ball into the box a lot ... surely that's exactly why he brought the guy to the club.

Lancs Harp
27-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Whittaker is good with the ball at his feet Im not terribly convinced by some of his defending.

Pros

We were clearly the better side
Stokes
Marv
Barker
Slivka

Negatives

So much possession and chances created should have produced a win against pretty moderate opposition

Whittakers defending (fine with the ball)
Thought Gray looked a bit rusty in the first half, improves in the second
Lost a bit of shape when we swapped Murrays

As for the McGinn debate, I thought he was a real mixed bag today, some good stuff some poor stuff. He has that creative spark that can make things happen but sometimes his decision making is questionable and although he can produce that killer pass he can also be guilty of giving the ball away cheaply sometimes.

My overrall feeling was that we clearly dominated the game but felt disappointed we didnt get the three points. We are a good team though and Im sure will continue to improve and thats with or without John McGinn.

Ell_Chrisso
27-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Marciano 6 - nothing to do other than pick a penalty out the net. Neat distribuition

Gray 6 - tried to get involved as much as possible going forward, but a lot of poor deliveries into the box. Solid enough

McGregor 5 - solid enough, nothing to note

Hanlon 7 - Worked hard in the back 4, made some good blocks and tackles to stop counter attacks

Whittaker 7 - would probably be an 8 bar his poor defending for the 'penalty'. Improved after that and made a good run for our goal. Was involved in a lot going forward

Bartley 7 - Big, strong, loves a tackle. Does so many things well you take for granted. Should of scored

McGinn 6 - Tried hard, but his twists and turns just didn't work out as well as they normally do. He's better than that

Slivka 8 - one of our best players. Great with the ball at his feet and completely wasted out wide. Head up looking for clever passes. Will get better for us

Barker 7 - Get the ball at the lads feet and he will cause full backs problems. Very direct, maybe needs to be a bit more composed in the final 3rd

Stokes 7 - needs to make more runs across the first man (like his goal) and he will score more. Drifted left a lot and on another day may have bagged a hat trick.

Murray 6 - Tried. Ran. But unfortunately didn't happen for him today. Wasted great opportunity inside the box in the second half. Lennon made a mistake taking him off tho. Stokes likes to drift wide and we need a focal point in the middle.

Ambrose 6 - composed, defended well. Didn't have much to do.

Fraser Murray 5 - no time to improvise on the game

McGeouch 5 - see Murray

ancient hibee
27-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Bartley must play every week.The midfield is much more composed when he is there.It's no coincidence that we dominated the game today.Similarly the defence was much better when Ambrose came on.

1875Sean
27-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Anyone know the issue with McGregor, bit strange to play him and sub him off at halftime again, if he carrying a knock why not rest him and play efe or fontaine?

Northernhibee
27-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Bartley must play every week.The midfield is much more composed when he is there.It's no coincidence that we dominated the game today.Similarly the defence was much better when Ambrose came on.

Bartley is hugely improved, isn't he?

ancient hibee
27-08-2017, 06:12 PM
I've always rated him.

Leith's finest
27-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Whitty getting poor marks because penalty, if he did not commit; paul hanlon had lost his man and i think the guy would have scored imo,

hibsdaft
27-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Anyone know the issue with McGregor, bit strange to play him and sub him off at halftime again, if he carrying a knock why not rest him and play efe or fontaine?

Lenny said after the game he has a long term problem with his knees, due to the build up of fluid apparently, and it sounds like he was struggling in the first half. Lenny hopes the fortnight off will help him.

Northernhibee
27-08-2017, 07:40 PM
I've always rated him.

Me too, but he's added a lot to his game and IMO he'd walk into any Scottish team outside Celtic.

Centre Hawf
27-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Marciano 7 - Had nothing to do.

Whittaker 7 - Started off really poorly but thought he grew into the game. Had a few decent, clean tackles and offered something new in an attacking sense on the left side.

Hanlon 8 - Solid as always.

McGregor 7

Gray - 7 Thought he looked slow and maybe a bit unfit. Otherwise solid.

Barker 7.5 Really like him, should have scored though.

McGinn 6

Bartley 8. MOTM. In the right place at the right time, time and time again. Solid. Could have scored but definitely not going to hold that against him. Should keep his place next week.

Slivka 6.5 You can see his quality but I thought he could have shown a bit more hunger and got involved a bit more. Some really slack crossing as well.

Stokes 8 - Beautiful finish, decent work rate.

Murray 6 - Lovely turn and shot in the first half, think he is surprising a lot of people with his technical ability. Will only get better. Should have scored that chance towards the end though,

F. Murray - 3. Meek. Not a lot of time to impose himself on the game though.

Ambrose 6. Had a shaky moment when he backed off their attacking player and then committed himself again, completely missing the tackle. Otherwise decent.

Hope you mean by the fact it isn't as good as people have made out? The last two weeks have shown if you get tight to him and dont allow him the 10 yards he needs to control the ball he is pretty anonymous imo. Agree with the rest of your ratings though.

ancient hibee
27-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Hope you mean by the fact it isn't as good as people have made out? The last two weeks have shown if you get tight to him and dont allow him the 10 yards he needs to control the ball he is pretty anonymous imo. Agree with the rest of your ratings though.
In actual fact when someone did get tight to him Murray left him for dead with a quick turn and the goalie pulled off the save of the game.

Centre Hawf
27-08-2017, 10:28 PM
In actual fact when someone did get tight to him Murray left him for dead with a quick turn and the goalie pulled off the save of the game.

He's done it once (and missed). Ross County, Hamilton, Dundee today have him sussed already. Rangers left space for him to run into and I doubt they'll make that mistake again. I like him, he works hard has started well. But I expect more from him than what I saw today and last week.