PDA

View Full Version : The Long Drive Home

canuckhibee
25-08-2017, 07:55 PM
After work I have a long drive home. To break the monotony I sometimes let my mind wander. I let myself enter an imaginary world where I am no longer the increasingly grey old man I am becoming. No, because in the imaginary world I am a young Ricky Mearns, Hibernian Striker. I am a prolific goal scorer. I am the next big thing. I score the goals and the Hibs fans love me for it. Let me paint a picture. On the long drive home last night I scored a diving header (my favourite type of goal), a winning goal in the 90th minute against Rangers (my most despised opposition). I cup my ears at the away support as I run to the corner flag and box with it (like Tim Cahill from Everton) (my favourite goal celebration). I salute my Dad in the West Stand as his pals pat him on the back. Then I return to the real world again.

On my final day at Primary School I remember the Teacher going round the class asking each of us what are dreams were and what we wanted to be when we "grew up". There were the usual answers Bus Driver, Train Driver, Ballet Dancer, Astronaut, "What about you Richard"? "I'm gonna play for Hibs Miss McClaren". She stared at me, shook her head and rolled her eyes like she had done a hundred times before. Of course she ended being right. Although I could play a bit as a boy I had that epiphany moment after one match, as many do, a horrible realisation, a gut wrenching feeling that there were better players than me. So I chucked it at 16 and replaced it with a lifestyle of drinking beer and chasing women (i'm not saying it was all bad).

When you get older, rather than take pride in what you have achieved, you tend to think more about the ambitions/dreams that got away from you. I guess playing for Hibs will always remain on the bucket list. Maybe just as well, otherwise, what else would there be to think about on the long drive home.

greenlex
25-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Wow.👏👏👏

SeanWilson
25-08-2017, 08:06 PM
😊 enjoyed that.

Mr White
25-08-2017, 08:10 PM
:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Can't be all bad if you live(d) in Vancouver.

25-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Hee hee, thanks for sharing that.

There have been a lucky few that got to do all of that, play football, score for Hibs, drink and chase woman.

canuckhibee
25-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Can't be all bad if you live(d) in Vancouver.

Yes mate - Gastown, Vancouver. Coolest city in the world (next to Edinburgh of course).

IberianHibernian
25-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Interesting post . Many Hibs fans will get to a lot of matches every year , others will at least get to some games or at least have a chat with fellow Hibbies at work , in the pub etc but there are also many ( ? ) others scattered round the globe who continue loving the club and following its fortunes , before by 2-week old newspaper clips , now by instant internet and TV but still often isolated from other Hibbies . I remember listening on crackly BBC World Service we`d won LC in 1991 and my wife asking me what I was so happy about and her being totally uninterested when I told her ( even though she`d enjoyed delights of sub zero temperatures at Dens , Cappielaw etc before we married ) . Here we`ve seen videos of Hibbies celebrating in 2016 alone . For every triumph like 1991 , 2007 or 2016 there have been loads of disappointments but that`s part of being a Hibby whether you`re with a group of pals in Scotland or supporting from Cork , Sidney , Vancouver or Hong Kong .
Realize that OP is mentioning playing for Hibs and not just supporting . Same as above though . When my sons were playing football as kids in Spain I , like many Hibbies , dreamt of them playing for Hibs even though all their pals`parents assumed Real Madrid or Barcelona would be dream though I suspect I`m showing my age and parents wouldn`t be the same now .

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 09:04 PM
After work I have a long drive home. To break the monotony I sometimes let my mind wander. I let myself enter an imaginary world where I am no longer the increasingly grey old man I am becoming. No, because in the imaginary world I am a young Ricky Mearns, Hibernian Striker. I am a prolific goal scorer. I am the next big thing. I score the goals and the Hibs fans love me for it. Let me paint a picture. On the long drive home last night I scored a diving header (my favourite type of goal), a winning goal in the 90th minute against Rangers (my most despised opposition). I cup my ears at the away support as I run to the corner flag and box with it (like Tim Cahill from Everton) (my favourite goal celebration). I salute my Dad in the West Stand as his pals pat him on the back. Then I return to the real world again.

On my final day at Primary School I remember the Teacher going round the class asking each of us what are dreams were and what we wanted to be when we "grew up". There were the usual answers Bus Driver, Train Driver, Ballet Dancer, Astronaut, "What about you Richard"? "I'm gonna play for Hibs Miss McClaren". She stared at me, shook her head and rolled her eyes like she had done a hundred times before. Of course she ended being right. Although I could play a bit as a boy I had that epiphany moment after one match, as many do, a horrible realisation, a gut wrenching feeling that there were better players than me. So I chucked it at 16 and replaced it with a lifestyle of drinking beer and chasing women (i'm not saying it was all bad).

When you get older, rather than take pride in what you have achieved, you tend to think more about the ambitions/dreams that got away from you. I guess playing for Hibs will always remain on the bucket list. Maybe just as well, otherwise, what else would there be to think about on the long drive home.
Fabulous post. It's funny how things change in life. I used to dream about playing for hibs, when that dream died and I got older, I dreamed of managing hibs. That dream has also died, but the dream lives on through me winning the lottery and owning hibs.
We're all dreamers and sometimes dreams come true ggtth

My_Wife_Camille
25-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Never mind the long drive home, if you scored a 90th minute winner against the Huns at Easter Road it would be a long run up the slope to cup your ears in front of the away end followed by a long night in the cells after being arrested for inciting religious hatred

greenlex
25-08-2017, 09:34 PM
I've not moved on. I still think I could do a job up top for Hibs.

scm70nyd1973
25-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Yes mate - Gastown, Vancouver. Coolest city in the world (next to Edinburgh of course).

It is indeed a fantastic city - mine (Auckland NZ) isn't too bad either ! - true story this - my mate and I first visited Vancouver in 1983. He was rabid Jags fan and was always poo pooing the mighty Cabbage. Anyways we went into a wee touristy shop near to where the expo was to be set up - two types of football scarves were on sale and I kid you not there was a Hibs scarf and the other was a Brazil scarf - cue seethe from my mate only on a comparable scale to that of several Jambos at circa 4.50pm pm on 21/05/216 !! Needless to say I dined out on that story for many a year !

Deansy
25-08-2017, 11:28 PM
After work I have a long drive home. To break the monotony I sometimes let my mind wander. I let myself enter an imaginary world where I am no longer the increasingly grey old man I am becoming. No, because in the imaginary world I am a young Ricky Mearns, Hibernian Striker. I am a prolific goal scorer. I am the next big thing. I score the goals and the Hibs fans love me for it. Let me paint a picture. On the long drive home last night I scored a diving header (my favourite type of goal), a winning goal in the 90th minute against Rangers (my most despised opposition). I cup my ears at the awayhttps://twitter.com/dixiebeans/statu...50324948504576 (https://twitter.com/dixiebeans/status/896450324948504576)

support as I run to the corner flag and box with it (like Tim Cahill from Everton) (my favourite goal celebration). I salute my Dad in the West Stand as his pals pat him on the back. Then I return to the real world again.

My dream too - always but always the Hun are the opposition and I'm either scorring the winning-goal/lots of goals or kicking ****** out of McCoist/Johnston/Greig/Forsyth etc before finally jumping into their supporters where I kick seven shades of s**t out of each and every one of them !!

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 12:08 AM

Best post been on here in long time. We should never forget our youth ambitions dreams and as part of family or friendship encourage our youth to follow theres. Never be put off. I had awful teachers but I also had real teachers who encouraged believed in me. I hope/think youll like this link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7uWyZhlmVw

Man Down Under
26-08-2017, 12:10 AM
It is indeed a fantastic city - mine (Auckland NZ) isn't too bad either ! - true story this - my mate and I first visited Vancouver in 1983. He was rabid Jags fan and was always poo pooing the mighty Cabbage. Anyways we went into a wee touristy shop near to where the expo was to be set up - two types of football scarves were on sale and I kid you not there was a Hibs scarf and the other was a Brazil scarf - cue seethe from my mate only on a comparable scale to that of several Jambos at circa 4.50pm pm on 21/05/216 !! Needless to say I dined out on that story for many a year !I was at a pub quiz in Dunedin last year, they had a video round and they showed footage of the Edinburgh Derby! (Unfortunately Ozturks screamer).
In my excitement to see hibs in a pub on the exact oposite end of the world I got the answer wrong. I wrote 'Heart of Midlothian f.c.' instead of 'Edinburgh' because I didn't listen to the actual question as I was too busy informing my bemused work mates of who was on the television.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Interesting post . Many Hibs fans will get to a lot of matches every year , others will at least get to some games or at least have a chat with fellow Hibbies at work , in the pub etc but there are also many ( ? ) others scattered round the globe who continue loving the club and following its fortunes , before by 2-week old newspaper clips , now by instant internet and TV but still often isolated from other Hibbies . I remember listening on crackly BBC World Service we`d won LC in 1991 and my wife asking me what I was so happy about and her being totally uninterested when I told her ( even though she`d enjoyed delights of sub zero temperatures at Dens , Cappielaw etc before we married ) . Here we`ve seen videos of Hibbies celebrating in 2016 alone . For every triumph like 1991 , 2007 or 2016 there have been loads of disappointments but that`s part of being a Hibby whether you`re with a group of pals in Scotland or supporting from Cork , Sidney , Vancouver or Hong Kong .
Realize that OP is mentioning playing for Hibs and not just supporting . Same as above though . When my sons were playing football as kids in Spain I , like many Hibbies , dreamt of them playing for Hibs even though all their pals`parents assumed Real Madrid or Barcelona would be dream though I suspect I`m showing my age and parents wouldn`t be the same now .

I love Hibs and in ten year exile did all I could to keep fix but was lucky to not be far away have tv games and internet but wasnt possible before.

Football is broken. Money comes before medals and uefa ensure rich clubs stay above others. I salute any kid who wears hibs kit in park over barca real an english team.

scm70nyd1973
26-08-2017, 12:23 AM
I was at a pub quiz in Dunedin last year, they had a video round and they showed footage of the Edinburgh Derby! (Unfortunately Ozturks screamer).
In my excitement to see hibs in a pub on the exact oposite end of the world I got the answer wrong. I wrote 'Heart of Midlothian f.c.' instead of 'Edinburgh' because I didn't listen to the actual question as I was too busy informing my bemused work mates of who was on the television.

I would have been the same after a lengthy explanation of how horrible the poppy thieves were/are - hate to think what I would have put down with me being a Hibby and a Jafa at the same time (it would no doubt have resulted in a quiz ban !).

18Hibee75
26-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Fabulous post. It's funny how things change in life. I used to dream about playing for hibs, when that dream died and I got older, I dreamed of managing hibs. That dream has also died, but the dream lives on through me winning the lottery and owning hibs.
We're all dreamers and sometimes dreams come true ggtth

My dream was same as yours too manage hibs after playing dream had died. Until I realised that was pretty much impossible too.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
26-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Shrink?

One Day
26-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Great post, I think we've all been there

canuckhibee
26-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Shrink?

lol - probably.

Lancs Harp
26-08-2017, 11:34 AM
I scored a few in the garden for Hibs, winning the Scottish cup and ending the hoodoo way before we managed in reality.

As far as management is concerned my Subbuteo team is as about as far as that got, mind you did win the European cup several times and even won the FA cup in England.

Moving onto ownership, just a Hibs Scarf or two, a decent badge and programme collection and of course the all conquering subbuteo team.

Keith_M
26-08-2017, 12:22 PM
lol - probably.

I can reccomend a really good one.

:wink:

Bostonhibby
26-08-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm now an ageing midfield general, the only club I'd ever sign for never approached me either.

Come to think of it, I've only ever been an ageing midfield general.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

StirlingHibee
26-08-2017, 02:21 PM
I scored a few in the garden for Hibs, winning the Scottish cup and ending the hoodoo way before we managed in reality.

As far as management is concerned my Subbuteo team is as about as far as that got, mind you did win the European cup several times and even won the FA cup in England.

Moving onto ownership, just a Hibs Scarf or two, a decent badge and programme collection and of course the all conquering subbuteo team.

I was into Subbuteo too - My Subbuteo Hibs team won everything including the European cup about ten times.

Dibben
26-08-2017, 02:26 PM
You know you are getting on a bit when your dreams of playing for Hibs are replaced by winning the Euro Lottery and buying them!!! 😁