PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Anderlecht

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Looking for a bit of info. This was my first ever European game at Easter Road. Remember the old east stand was rammed but can't find the attendance anywhere. Anyone know?

Lancs Harp
25-08-2017, 04:17 PM

https://thehiblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/anderlecht150992.jpg

G B Young
25-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Looking for a bit of info. This was my first ever European game at Easter Road. Remember the old east stand was rammed but can't find the attendance anywhere. Anyone know?

14,188. As you say great atmosphere in the East when it was still terracing.

Highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znkp0n7iOh0

It was a cracking tie overall (3-3 on aggregate) and those of us who went to the away leg will recall a fantastic travelling support.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2017, 04:19 PM

https://thehiblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/anderlecht150992.jpg

Thanks 👍. Must admit it felt like a lot more than that. Crazy to think we were getting bigger gates than that in the Championship.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 04:21 PM
The away leg was legendary. Must be one of the biggest away supports for us outside the uk.

G B Young
25-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks ��. Must admit it felt like a lot more than that. Crazy to think we were getting bigger gates than that in the Championship.

Easter Road was, to be frank, a bit of dump back then. Personally I loved the terracing and felt it made for a far more exciting atmosphere, but it's very noticeable how many more families/young kids come to games these days because the match day experience feels a lot better structured and safer. I imagine attendances during the Tornadoes era were good due to the football on view, but even when we turned out some good sides in the late 80s and early to mid-90s our average attendances were probably only around 10k.

Peevemor
25-08-2017, 04:39 PM
For some reason I was in the Dunbar end for that match.

Ringothedog
25-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Easter Road was, to be frank, a bit of dump back then. Personally I loved the terracing and felt it made for a far more exciting atmosphere, but it's very noticeable how many more families/young kids come to games these days because the match day experience feels a lot better structured and safer. I imagine attendances during the Tornadoes era were good due to the football on view, but even when we turned out some good sides in the late 80s and early to mid-90s our average attendances were probably only around 10k.

Sorry, I disagree, Easter Road was a fantastic ground back then with a tremendous atmosphere. Far better than the sterile nonsense we have at all seater stadiums now. It's all about opinions and mine differs to yours

Cardinal G
25-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Me too and for the life of me can't remember why. Recall Bowmans goal but not the others. Good atmosphere under the lights.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Sorry, I disagree, Easter Road was a fantastic ground back then with a tremendous atmosphere. Far better than the sterile nonsense we have at all seater stadiums now. It's all about opinions and mine differs to yours

I totally agree with you. The modern Easter Road will never be able to match the old stadium when we put the roof on the terracing. It wasn't family friendly,but it was utter bedlam in there at times.

One Day
25-08-2017, 05:02 PM

I tend to agree with you, great memories of old European, (and other), nights.

Topographic Hibby
25-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Me too and for the life of me can't remember why. Recall Bowmans goal but not the others. Good atmosphere under the lights.
Wasn't it an early evening start? Either 6 or 6:30 for Belgian TV perhaps? Seem to recall a mad dash from work in West Central Scotland to get to ER to meet my old man. Had tickets for us in his beloved Wing Stand. Or was it the North Stand - let's not have that debate again!!!

LancsHibs
25-08-2017, 05:10 PM
The away leg was legendary. Must be one of the biggest away supports for us outside the uk.

That was one crazy trip!!:drunk::drunk:

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:17 PM
That was one crazy trip!!:drunk::drunk:

It certainly was. It seemed like everyone was there.

frazeHFC
25-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Heard many stories about that one! How many roughly did we take?

Hibby Bairn
25-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Seem to recall Morrocan bams with baseball bats. Or was that Liege game?

Hibby Bairn
25-08-2017, 05:21 PM

G B Young
25-08-2017, 05:27 PM

What I said was I shared your preference for the old atmosphere but was just speculating that the reason we get bigger crowds now is due to better facilities for families.

G B Young
25-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Think it was closer to 3,000. Certainly seemed it!

BenjiOscar
25-08-2017, 05:29 PM
That was my first European trip. Still got the letter from Hibs. I remember we left Easter Road on official coaches on the Sunday evening. At the ferry I'm sure it was a coach load of rangers fans going somewhere at the same time. Eventually arrived in Brussels on the Monday afternoon. The toilet on the coach I was on flooded and when we arrived back at Easter Road late Wednesday night early Thursday morning, our bags were stinking. Banned everything but what I had on!

berwickhibee
25-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Seem to recall Morrocan bams with baseball bats. Or was that Liege game?

No it was anderlecht, morrocans and Algerians. Nutters. Saying that the bus I was on from Easter road stadium had its fair share of nutters.:thumbsup:

Peevemor
Seem to recall Morrocan bams with baseball bats. Or was that Liege game?Liege game (though nearly everyone stayed in Brussels).

fat freddy

Me too, I think the east terrace was rammed and we got told to go round to the dunbar end.

Anderlecht were terrifying with Van Vossen and some other blonde guy up front, they were outstanding and it was a brilliant effort from Hibs to get the draw.

Same with the away leg, the team worked so hard for the draw and the scenes when Darren scored were as good as it gets, such a mental trip, I still laugh when i think about the carnage we created in the pubs and in our hotel. No sleep for 3 days with a little help from Lou

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:39 PM

There was certainly more hibs fans there than had bought tickets through hibs.
We were one of the first in the big square and everyone kept arriving as the day went on. I remember playing football with the anderlecht fans in the square. By that time the square was full of hibbys and the atmosphere was brilliant. When Jackson scored at the game my mate had to be taken out by the medical team as they thought he was unwell, he was just pissed.

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:41 PM
I do remember the Belgians giving us a really good round of applause after their team had left the pitch. It was also the first time I'd had a beer at the football.

wpj
25-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Away game was carnage but funny as F. It would be unforgettable if I could remember parts of it. No hotel just slept in a bar when tired waiting for the first train to the coast for ferry home. Duty free breakfast and a long trip to Edinburgh by train. Would probably end me now!

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Away game was carnage but funny as F. It would be unforgettable if I could remember parts of it. No hotel just slept in a bar when tired waiting for the first train to the coast for ferry home. Duty free breakfast and a long trip to Edinburgh by train. Would probably end me now!

We didn't have a hotel either. There's no way I could do that now, but if we ever get a draw like that again I'll make a damn good go of it :greengrin

BigKev
25-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I was another who ended up in the Dunbar end without remembering why!

The away game was my first trip abroad. Can mind leaving the Hibs Club about 7 on the Sunday night with the Carlton bus and stayed over in Ostend.

The travelling support was immense. I had a ticket for the seated area above but chanced my mitt and got in the terracing beside my mates.

There were hundreds of buses there as well... thought I'd missed mine after taking an hour or so to find it.

Great trip. My first proper 4 day bender 😂

truehibernian
25-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Yep, me too P :agree: one of the best atmospheres for many a year too - the game had everything.

SirDavidsNapper
25-08-2017, 06:20 PM
I totally agree with you. The modern Easter Road will never be able to match the old stadium when we put the roof on the terracing. It wasn't family friendly,but it was utter bedlam in there at times.

That's what I remember as a youngster. Even though it was full of Hibs diehards I found it quite intimidating. I was completely hooked though. You really felt part of something in there as a laddie, almost untouchable. Loved it.

emerald green
25-08-2017, 06:33 PM
That's what I remember as a youngster. Even though it was full of Hibs diehards I found it quite intimidating. I was completely hooked though. You really felt part of something in there as a laddie, almost untouchable. Loved it.

I really liked the old East enclosure/terracing.

Just as an aside, the season following the Anderlecht tie, Douglas Cromb met with Hibs supporters to try to convince them of the merits of a move to a new stadium at Straiton!

No way was that ever going to happen thankfully.

Colr
25-08-2017, 06:36 PM

I remember Mickey Weir's ridiculous sending off for high boots. Mickey Weir has never had a high anything!

Vini1875
25-08-2017, 06:40 PM
No chance was the crowd 14,000. I couldn't get in the east it was so busy.

I'm_cabbaged
25-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Same, was in the Dunbar end.

Albanian Hibs
25-08-2017, 07:21 PM
I love hearing these stories. Was at the home leg in the family enclosure but was too young to go to the away leg.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
25-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Was thinking fhe samd watching the highlights- looked more thsn 14,000 there to me!

G B Young
25-08-2017, 08:06 PM

A couple of years earlier we had 18,000 v FC Liege after beating Videoton in the previous round. I recall being at the Dunbar End for that one as the East was full. Seem to recall it gave me a good view of Mitchell missing a penalty which turned out to be crucial as Liege went through AET in the away leg with this one in a million strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OuGICi5GE

Hibby Bairn
25-08-2017, 08:20 PM
After game Standard Liege boys (who were in Hibs end) took us back into centre of Brussels to some backstreet bar and fed us free fruity beer. When we stood up to go back to hotel legs gave way. 3 of us had to get carried to a taxi and sent back to hotel. That and Liege trips (FIFA bar outside ground) were just magic.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-08-2017, 08:24 PM
A couple of years earlier we had 18,000 v FC Liege after beating Videoton in the previous round. I recall being at the Dunbar End for that one as the East was full. Seem to recall it gave me a good view of Mitchell missing a penalty which turned out to be crucial as Liege went through AET in the away leg with this one in a million strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OuGICi5GE

Was that not Houchys effort that came back off the post?

tamig
25-08-2017, 08:33 PM
After the Liege trip a few of us vowed never to bus it again. So for Anderlecht it was train to Kings Cross, tube to Victoria (I think) train to Dover then the hydrofoil to Ostende. Train from Ostende to Brussels. Fantastic trip and the team did us proud too. Some hairy moments on the metro after the game.

Jonnyboy
25-08-2017, 08:40 PM
I remember both games very well. For the away leg, my brother and I booked late and travelled on a bus put on by some random guy in Leith. It was torture, going there and straight back after the match! Never again.

We were in the top tier at the away game and I recall looking down to the Hibs fans in the bottom tier and thinking they were squashed in like sardines. Brilliant atmosphere though and I remember us refusing to leave at the end and singing 'bring on the Hibees' until the players came back out onto the pitch. As has been mentioned, Anderlecht fans stayed to applaud both Hibs and the massive Hibernian support.

One amusing wee anecdote. My brother and I started chatting to a couple of Anderlecht fans and as was the norm back then we swapped football tops. Just after we'd done that, David Hardie from the Evening News approached our group and addressing the two guys in Hibs strips with the question "Which part of Edinburgh are you guys from then? :faf: To be fair to David I got to know him quite well in following years and he's a thoroughly decent bloke.

IberianHibernian
25-08-2017, 09:02 PM
I remember both games very well. For the away leg, my brother and I booked late and travelled on a bus put on by some random guy in Leith. It was torture, going there and straight back after the match! Never again.

We were in the top tier at the away game and I recall looking down to the Hibs fans in the bottom tier and thinking they were squashed in like sardines. Brilliant atmosphere though and I remember us refusing to leave at the end and singing 'bring on the Hibees' until the players came back out onto the pitch. As has been mentioned, Anderlecht fans stayed to applaud both Hibs and the massive Hibernian support.

One amusing wee anecdote. My brother and I started chatting to a couple of Anderlecht fans and as was the norm back then we swapped football tops. Just after we'd done that, David Hardie from the Evening News approached our group and addressing the two guys in Hibs strips with the question "Which part of Edinburgh are you guys from then? :faf: To be fair to David I got to know him quite well in following years and he's a thoroughly decent bloke.In possibly the same stadium I remember Spain playing Belgium in a qualifier about 12 - 15 years ago with about 80% of the crowd supporting Spain at a time when Spain had very low away support and had yet to win WC or EC . Spain won easily and Spanish TV reporters tried to interview Spain fans to find that the vast majority of Spain fans were children / grandchildren of Spanish immigrants who could speak very little Spanish . The same thing happened at the time when Spain played in Switzerland and at WC in Germany in 2006 .

Jonnyboy
25-08-2017, 09:16 PM
In possibly the same stadium I remember Spain playing Belgium in a qualifier about 12 - 15 years ago with about 80% of the crowd supporting Spain at a time when Spain had very low away support and had yet to win WC or EC . Spain won easily and Spanish TV reporters tried to interview Spain fans to find that the vast majority of Spain fans were children / grandchildren of Spanish immigrants who could speak very little Spanish . The same thing happened at the time when Spain played in Switzerland and at WC in Germany in 2006 .

It's the Constant Van Den Stock Stadium and the late Douglas Cromb was so taken with it the club intended using that as the blueprint if we'd moved to Straiton. Thankfully, that never came to pass!

lord bunberry
25-08-2017, 09:17 PM
After the Liege trip a few of us vowed never to bus it again. So for Anderlecht it was train to Kings Cross, tube to Victoria (I think) train to Dover then the hydrofoil to Ostende. Train from Ostende to Brussels. Fantastic trip and the team did us proud too. Some hairy moments on the metro after the game.
I remember going back for a drink after the game. My mate was absolutely out of it. I got a couple of beers and sat down. I drunk mine, but my mate didn't even touch his. I was getting a bit pissed off with him and I stood up and downed his beer(it was small, but strong beers in Brussels) the next thing I know there's a load of Belgians cheering and pointing at me. They then brought me another beer and I thanked them, but they all looked at me and made the down it gesture. I being a Scotsman saw it away. This only led to more beers being put down in front of me. I think I did about 6 before I headed to the toilet to spew up.
Somehow we managed to find our bus home. I believe matty f was on that bus. Small world.

DC_Hibs
25-08-2017, 09:23 PM
That was my first European trip. Still got the letter from Hibs. I remember we left Easter Road on official coaches on the Sunday evening. At the ferry I'm sure it was a coach load of rangers fans going somewhere at the same time. Eventually arrived in Brussels on the Monday afternoon. The toilet on the coach I was on flooded and when we arrived back at Easter Road late Wednesday night early Thursday morning, our bags were stinking. Banned everything but what I had on!

1 bus of Airdrie fans going to Prague meant many Hibs buses had to wait at Dover for the next ferry due to not allowing two sets of fans on the same ferry.
Loads had a kick about to pass the time while Airdrie all stayed sitting on their bus for an age.

Huns played Lyngby away that midweek - maybe not that time in Amsterdam when a few of them famously jumped into the canal rather than take a doing from Hibs.

2700 is the figure I remember we took. Our Sphere travel bus got its window tanned when a few got mouthy to local north African kids. Shortly after a VW Golf pulled in front of the bus forcing the driver to stop and a "big black guy" was trying to get the driver to open his window which was politely refused and then he started waving a knife about. Think he then lobbed a few stones through the broken window.

We played Celtc at Parkhead between the home and away legs and won 3-2. Great game that's available to view on youtube.

Argylehibby
25-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Think it was closer to 3,000. Certainly seemed it!

All of us crammed into half of that end of the terracing with the other half empty until they saw sense and opened up the whole end for the 2nd half. When we scored I must have ended up 20 yards down the terrace from where I started by the time the celebration calmed down!

tamig
25-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I remember going back for a drink after the game. My mate was absolutely out of it. I got a couple of beers and sat down. I drunk mine, but my mate didn't even touch his. I was getting a bit pissed off with him and I stood up and downed his beer(it was small, but strong beers in Brussels) the next thing I know there's a load of Belgians cheering and pointing at me. They then brought me another beer and I thanked them, but they all looked at me and made the down it gesture. I being a Scotsman saw it away. This only led to more beers being put down in front of me. I think I did about 6 before I headed to the toilet to spew up.
Somehow we managed to find our bus home. I believe matty f was on that bus. Small world.
I remember drinking beer in the Grand Place day of the game for about 7 hours. It was roasting that day. The combination of the hot weather and the strong Belgian beer made for an interesting trip to the ground.

Tornadoes70
25-08-2017, 10:06 PM
My mate at the time booked us onto the Gunner bus which according to him would be a luxury coach with air conditioning. Turned out to be a 20 odd seat mini bus with an extra person to every seat. However it ended up half empty on the way back. Nearly ended up fighting with huns coach at Dover as they were heading to play somewhere else. It was different class.

:flag:

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 02:57 AM
Shows how good a side we were to give them a game over two legs. Wish been allowed to go:( Anderlecht were meant to swat Hibs.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 03:02 AM

True commitment those days. Long days on road or train. Times change with flights but they are expensive trips also. I love a train journey and jealous a Hibs trip europe on train

MichaelTheCelt
26-08-2017, 03:47 AM
Whats the deal with the kit on the Hibs keeper? Nae badge, was that for European games or something?

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Whats the deal with the kit on the Hibs keeper? Nae badge, was that for European games or something?

Read Budgies book

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 03:50 AM
Whats the deal with the kit on the Hibs keeper? Nae badge, was that for European games or something? He thought kit wasnt up to scratch so wore own gear. Was a huge issue him Miller and seen him go to soon.

MichaelTheCelt
26-08-2017, 03:59 AM
He thought kit wasnt up to scratch so wore own gear. Was a huge issue him Miller and seen him go to soon.

Couldn't imagine any players doing that now. Mind a few years back one of the Arsenal players refused to wear long sleeves and he cut the sleeves on his top before the team went out. Was a massive issue for the club, I think he got fined for it too. I'm sure it was the Flamini.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 04:11 AM
Couldn't imagine any players doing that now. Mind a few years back one of the Arsenal players refused to wear long sleeves and he cut the sleeves on his top before the team went out. Was a massive issue for the club, I think he got fined for it too. I'm sure it was the Flamini.

Johan Cruff pulled stripe of adidas dutch kit as wore puma. Maradonna wore Napoli socks Argentina v Italy Italia90 no chance allowed now.Burridge book is a must read. He was first to import golie gloves and wear matches

LancsHibs
26-08-2017, 06:33 AM

Love hearing these stories of intrepid travel. I remember for Anderlecht the Lancashire Hibbys drove in a convoy of 3 cars down to Harwich, ferry to Zebrugge and train to Brussels. I drove my brothers car as he had a broken leg at the time. There was a couple of mad lads from Bolton who brought along a BWFC St.Georges cross flag that was hung outside a little Portuguese bar (I think) along with all the Hibs flags, caused a bit of confusion! A great trip, Hibbys everywhere in the city, remember watching as more and more arrived throughout the day.

judas
26-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Disagree. Opinions as you say.

For me the new set up is light years ahead on every level.

As a matter of interest do you prefer black bin bags on the streets to the wheelie bins and do you pine for the days before emails and the internet - when life was simpler and that 😀

Johnny Clash
26-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Love hearing these stories of intrepid travel. I remember for Anderlecht the Lancashire Hibbys drove in a convoy of 3 cars down to Harwich, ferry to Zebrugge and train to Brussels. I drove my brothers car as he had a broken leg at the time. There was a couple of mad lads from Bolton who brought along a BWFC St.Georges cross flag that was hung outside a little Portuguese bar (I think) along with all the Hibs flags, caused a bit of confusion! A great trip, Hibbys everywhere in the city, remember watching as more and more arrived throughout the day.

That wee bar was great (apart from the tiny honking loo). Close to railway station if I remember right. We were promised we could crash out in that wee pub after game but then we got turfed out early hours of morning by an irate radgey cop who started waving his pistol in the air after Hibs songs drowned out his warning speach. There had been ridiculous trouble outside after some wallopers thought they were hard by smashed up a street in a rough area of town. After that, we all became targets. Me and mates ended up chased by a gang of belt wielding crazies and we ended up sleeping on station platform.

Atmosphere in hibs end was incredible. Very crushed. Non stop singing. Briiliant!

Hibby Bairn
26-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Luxury travel for us. Flight to London. Then Dan Air to Brussels. 40 min flight. Still had time to wheel the beers and snacks trolley out though.

Can't remember the name of the big hotel where we were all staying. Hibs flags draped from the windows/balconies.

theonlywayisup
26-08-2017, 08:24 AM

I agree - I was in the Dunbar End because we couldn't get tickets for the East.

The scenes when the first goal went in was mental.

LancsHibs
26-08-2017, 09:06 AM
That wee bar was great (apart from the tiny honking loo). Close to railway station if I remember right. We were promised we could crash out in that wee pub after game but then we got turfed out early hours of morning by an irate radgey cop who started waving his pistol in the air after Hibs songs drowned out his warning speach. There had been ridiculous trouble outside after some wallopers thought they were hard by smashed up a street in a rough area of town. After that, we all became targets. Me and mates ended up chased by a gang of belt wielding crazies and we ended up sleeping on station platform.

Atmosphere in hibs end was incredible. Very crushed. Non stop singing. Briiliant!

That's the one:hilarious Anyone got any photos (not of the loo!)

darwenhibby
26-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Yes Al forgot about Ian breaking his leg.
Another successful trip organised by the great El Presidente
We must do more!!🇳🇬🇳🇬

Keith_M
26-08-2017, 09:47 AM
I really liked the old East enclosure/terracing.

Just as an aside, the season following the Anderlecht tie, Douglas Cromb met with Hibs supporters to try to convince them of the merits of a move to a new stadium at Straiton!

No way was that ever going to happen thankfully.

My ideal stadium would have been rebuilding the East as a two tier stand, with the lower tier a terrace roughly the size of the old East Terrace just before it was demolished.

That way you would have had the same family friendly ground on 3 sides with a section for the bampots on the other, but still have decent loos and refreshment stalls...and NO pillars

If I ever win the Euro Millions, I'm gonna buy Hibs and rebuilt the East again according to my favoured design :wink:

Conrad Gray
26-08-2017, 10:11 AM

I've got a lot of photo's of the trip and there may be some of that pub - I'll try and dig them out.

blackpoolhibs
26-08-2017, 10:33 AM
We must do more!!🇳🇬🇳🇬

That bus was supposed to be going to Perth.

tamig
26-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Roughie quite often used to wear his own tops when he played for us. Budgie was different class though. He ran a sports shop in Newcastle and I wasn't sure if he just used us to promote his gear! Great keeper and personality though.

Johnny Clash
26-08-2017, 10:54 AM

I ended up with a couple of photos - will try dig out but may take some considerable time! I can mind the Bolton St. George's cross flag with I think the letters 'HFC' added? Memory a bit hazy now but a young lad on crutches rings a bell. London Hibs unfurled the new flag on that trip - there was a photo of the wee pub covered in Hibs flags - plus a Bolton flag :) on a the cover of their fanzine.

Conrad Gray
26-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Conrad Gray
26-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Apologies for the poor quality images. I only recognise the late Mark McCabe and Derek? from them. Are there anymore hibs.netters in the crowd shots?

Was either of these the pub mentioned earlier?

G B Young
26-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Was that not Houchys effort that came back off the post?

Yes think you're right. Seem to recall there was a long injury delay (maybe Mitchell) before the pen could be taken.

Johnny Clash
26-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Apologies for the poor quality images. I only recognise the late Mark McCabe and Derek? from them. Are there anymore hibs.netters in the crowd shots?

Was either of these the pub mentioned earlier?

great photos mate - different pub mentioned earlier - but your photos capture the atmosphere

I went and gave my Hibs top from this time away to a charity that was collecting football tops. I see there's an away top from 1990 on eBay right now with latest bid £205!!!

LancsHibs
26-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Great photos mate:thumbsup:

LancsHibs
26-08-2017, 11:46 AM
We must do more!!🇳🇬🇳🇬

I miss Presidente tours, you never knew where you'd end up or if you'd get home:hilarious Get a bus organised Duane!

Frazerbob
26-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Andelecht was my first game abroad.....gave me the bug and now been to over 50, Hibs & Scotland. Things that stick in my mind:

Washington Services being ransacked by Hibs fans resulting in the convoy of busses not being allowed to stop at any more services so we arrived at Dover far too early for our ferry. We weren't allowed on an earlier boat due to Airdie & Rangers fans already being on it. Huge game of football started to pass the time. Then when we boarded our boat, loads of Rangers fans were on the boat berthed next to us....queue a bottle fight between ferries.

Fish kicking about in a Tartan suite.

Tremendous atmosphere and a cracking stadium.

Bedlam when we scored

Mad Morrocan jumping out a car, stabbing a Hibby in the leg then jumping back in the car

Porn films bought in Brussels playing on the bus home and the look on folks faces in passing cars as they over took

Left my passport at the hotel but never got checked once on the journey home

DR1875
26-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Easter Road was rammed that night. I'm sure the club must have let slip the numbers attending through the gates for eh.. The tax man.

lord bunberry
26-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Andelecht was my first game abroad.....gave me the bug and now been to over 50, Hibs & Scotland. Things that stick in my mind:

Washington Services being ransacked by Hibs fans resulting in the convoy of busses not being allowed to stop at any more services so we arrived at Dover far too early for our ferry. We weren't allowed on an earlier boat due to Airdie & Rangers fans already being on it. Huge game of football started to pass the time. Then when we boarded our boat, loads of Rangers fans were on the boat berthed next to us....queue a bottle fight between ferries.

Fish kicking about in a Tartan suite.

Tremendous atmosphere and a cracking stadium.

Bedlam when we scored

Mad Morrocan jumping out a car, stabbing a Hibby in the leg then jumping back in the car

Porn films bought in Brussels playing on the bus home and the look on folks faces in passing cars as they over took

Left my passport at the hotel but never got checked once on the journey home
I remember getting one of those 1 year passports that you could get in the post office. Changed days.

Feed McGraw
26-08-2017, 12:32 PM
For some reason I was in the Dunbar end for that match. So was I, but I can`t remember why I chose to go there. Maybe just coz we could :dunno:.

Wakeyhibee
26-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Was at both games with East Lancs branch. On the ferry with some Portadown (I think) fans, the rest is sketchy at best but remember the riot police out in force near the stadium and one Hibee offering a beer to them. Think they were surprised/bemused :) my first Euro adventure, Malmo was the last (also fantastic) ... C'mon Hibs give us another!!!!!