PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Thomson on Stokes

neil7908
24-08-2017, 07:53 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/kevin-thomson-anthony-stokes-only-enemy-is-himself-1-4540606

An interesting piece in the Scotsman.

Callum_62
24-08-2017, 07:58 AM
If he had the attitude to match the talent we wouldnt have him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfcok
24-08-2017, 08:01 AM

👍

Firestarter
24-08-2017, 08:08 AM
I'm positive we will see the right Anthony Stokes this season.

SaulGoodman
24-08-2017, 08:08 AM
That reads more like Kevin Thomson bigging himself up about how good he was and how many big players he played beside.

calumhibee1
24-08-2017, 08:12 AM
I don't actually mind KT anymore, but what a strange article. It all just seems a bit pointless?

easty
24-08-2017, 08:13 AM
That reads more like Kevin Thomson bigging himself up about how good he was and how many big players he played beside.

That's what I thought tae.

J-C
24-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Not much wrong in what he's saying, Stokes should be playing at a higher level than us but due to his own failings he's not, the exact same was said about Riordan at the time.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Tend to agree.

I don't really mind Thomson but every time I read anything he writes I always start to switch off as soon as it goes down the inevitable route of his favourite topic: Kevin Thomson and how great he is.

CRAZYHIBBY
24-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Think its about time thomson kept his opinions to himself

where'stheslope
24-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Just another ex-pro giving it large to anyone who is wanting to listen to his ranting!!

Should stick to his training with up and coming footballers, rather talk about what he done!!!!

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Not to me it doesn't, but if Stokes reads it that way too, nothing will change.

Velma Dinkley
24-08-2017, 08:36 AM
He begins by saying Stokes has had a good start to the season. Ends by saying he's had an indifferent start to the season. It has been a good start, which makes the article rather pointless.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 08:39 AM
He begins by saying Stokes has had a good start to the season. Ends by saying he's had an indifferent start to the season. It has been a good start, which makes the article rather pointless.

He says "on the face of it".

He means if you look a bit closer, all isn't as it could/should be.

I agree with him. Most people on here heavily criticised Stokes for his performance on Saturday, some have actually called for him to be dropped, so it's not been a great start at all.

Yes, it's a pointless article, but isn't that the case with any opinion piece?

neil7908
24-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Thomson has a right to voice his opinion but we equally have a right to ignore it.

I thought Stokes work rate was OK in his last spell. He's no Simon Murray but did what was expected of him and once he's up to speed I fully expect the same to this time.

His comments about training aren't particularly damning. It sounds like Anthony turned up on time, left when it wasn't done and did what he needed to do. Basically he did everything asked of him. No mention of him coming late, missing sessions or anything like that.

neil7908
24-08-2017, 08:40 AM

Hahaha yeah I noticed that as well!

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Basically he did everything asked of him.

Or, he did the bare minimum.

Bostonhibby
24-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Plenty to be positive about at Hibs just now. You could say the opposite at the poppy thieves arena so cue the hootsmon stepping up for their team. They're desperate though as the article isn't as big a shot at us as Johnny yam would expect from this dying rag.

Disappointed it's KT they got to assist here but it's only really the timing that's a bit odd.

Really looking forward to the hootsman interview with RP about how he tackled the financing and oversight of the construction of four new stands.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Steve20
24-08-2017, 08:54 AM

I agree with him. Most people on here heavily criticised Stokes for his performance on Saturday, some have actually called for him to be dropped, so it's not been a great start at all.

I'd say it's been a good start. If people are calling for him to be dropped based on Saturday's performance then they must be expecting an entire new team, except Marciano, to be playing this weekend as the lot of them were awful on Saturday.

The article is a lot of nonsense, but that's to be expected from Thomson nowadays.

Elephant Stone
24-08-2017, 08:57 AM
He must have been up all night trying to figure out how to come accross as a much of a welt as he does in that piece.

Stokes will be finishing his career as one of the all time SPL scorers and I doubt he'll be caring too much about the opinions of ex-professionals, as such.

Firestarter
24-08-2017, 09:00 AM
It may well be he was getting interviewed for something else then was asked about Stokes and it's turned into a story by the EEN.

Ozyhibby
24-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Really, yet another article where Kevin Thomson wants to talk about how good Kevin Thomson was? He must be very insecure.

Peevemor
24-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Stokes played the full 90 minutes against Partick, less than a week after signing for us, and was running well and looking fresh enough at the end of the match. This was without a proper pre-season. I'm not sure he's as lazy as KT is suggesting.

Ozyhibby
24-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Think its about time thomson kept his opinions to himself

No chance of that. Time for him to have done that was 2014 when the club was being horrendously managed by Butcher. As a senior player he could have got the head down, made sure we stayed up and parted ways in the summer. No chance of that though. Dressing room unrest is his thing.

oneone73
24-08-2017, 09:08 AM
It may well be he was getting interviewed for something else then was asked about Stokes and it's turned into a story by the EEN.

KT's a columnist for the Hootsmon, isn't he?

Dashing Bob S
24-08-2017, 09:16 AM
A Kevin Thomson article in the Scotsman. It's banality and utter irrelevance is generally partly obscured by it's bizarre quirkiness.

KWJ
24-08-2017, 09:17 AM

But he says on the face of it it's good because he has goals. He's clearly referring to his performances.

Thomson is being asked to give articles for papers and perhaps given ideas of topics, he's no reason to say no as it's likely his main source of income for now.

One thing he doesn't really touch on is that the Stokes he knows isn't the one that's been working under Lennon which has been widely said to be important to getting the best from him. Hopefully that's the case in this instance.

With a squad including many young players it would be disappointing having someone with a bad attitude in training being selected in the first team every week. Thomson's raising this point which is fair enough I reckon.

Be great if he's doing the opposite and showing guys like Oli Shaw what to do and what not to do.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 09:28 AM
No chance of that. Time for him to have done that was 2014 when the club was being horrendously managed by Butcher. As a senior player he could have got the head down, made sure we stayed up and parted ways in the summer. No chance of that though. Dressing room unrest is his thing.

That is extremely unfair.

He had come back to Hibs for no wages, but Butcher told him he had no future and refused to play him.

Thecat23
24-08-2017, 09:29 AM

He's come in scored goals still not 100% mate fit, usual folk flapping like mad after 1 defeat last week with Stokes being the scapegoat. You could argue Hanlon, Ambrose, big Daz should be binned after a brutal display but I wouldn't want that.

Play him, get him fit as can be and hopefully the myth Stokes does nothing can go away as it's very boring and tiresome.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-08-2017, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=neil7908;5151224]Thomson has a right to voice his opinion but we equally have a right to ignore it.

[QUOTE/]

not a chance on .net ;)

blackpoolhibs
24-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Has sick note written this himself, or had someone else write it for him?

Sean1875
24-08-2017, 09:37 AM

The article was written by KT

Keith_M
24-08-2017, 09:37 AM

It did come across a bit like that, yeah.

------

When it comes to attitude versus talent, nobody had a ratio as low as George Best. He occasionally lit up what was a gloomy time for Hibs but it was all a bit pointless in the end.

I don't think Stokes would ever compare his talent to that of Best and, thankfully, his attitude is also incomparable.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 09:39 AM
He's come in scored goals still not 100% mate fit, usual folk flapping like mad after 1 defeat last week with Stokes being the scapegoat. You could argue Hanlon, Ambrose, big Daz should be binned after a brutal display but I wouldn't want that.

Play him, get him fit as can be and hopefully the myth Stokes does nothing can go away as it's very boring and tiresome.

I agree, I'm delighted to have him in the team, but people's rush to condemn Kevin Thomson is a bit daft.

Lennon knows that Stokes has flaws, but he thinks/hopes that he can help with them. I think KT has highlighted one of those issues.

It's up to the player to prove him wrong.

G B Young
24-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I could understand this sort of article if Stokes was clearly not doing the business or had gone AWOL etc, but the with zero evidence of that - coupled with a solid start to Stokes' third spell at Easter Road - the timing seems strange. I was actually surprised Stokes went straight into the squad for the opening league game having missed pre-season, so once fully fit I expect him to do very well for us this season.

I did wonder if Thomson's agenda might be to spur Stokes on by writing an article that might rile him a bit, but Stokes doesn't strike me as the sort who spends much time reading what folk have to say about him. John McGinn said Stokes 'changes his phone like the weather' and he's always had a bit of a law unto himself air about him. Personally I'm just delighted somebody of his talent has committed his future to Hibs.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Thomson has a right to voice his opinion but we equally have a right to ignore it.

So why post the link? :confused:

edinburghhibee
24-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Think some of the posts regarding KT are a bit OTT. He loves hibs regardless of what happened when he was younger all was forgiven by me when he cleared that ball off the line at tynie on route to us lifting that cup. Now he's just a supporter giving his opinion right or wrong plenty folk have said worse on the stokes thread.

Let's move on to Sunday get back on track with the defence solid and strikers scoring goals.

easty
24-08-2017, 09:52 AM

So the rest of us don't ignore the fact that KT would have walked barefoot along the M8 to sign for Rangers, but Stokes won't even stay one min late at training. :greengrin

we are hibs
24-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Thomson comes across as the kind of person who loves the sound of their own voice. Really is an irrelevance tbh.

Velma Dinkley
24-08-2017, 09:57 AM

These articles are written by journalists based on conversations with the players they are attributed to. What is written isn't necessarily exactly what was said.

SRHibs
24-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Loves the sound of his own voice. All these interviews and articles are making me dislike KT even more.

IGRIGI
24-08-2017, 09:58 AM
An article to fill a (web)page and nothing more.

scoopyboy
24-08-2017, 09:59 AM
KT is stating what a lot of people know or suspect about Stokesy.

For me it's about how he deals with it will determine if he is a success this time around.

My hope is NL will get the best out of him and that he is a success.

Dan Sarf
24-08-2017, 10:01 AM
It's just to get publicity for his football academy IMO.

neil7908
24-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Cause it's a Thursday morning and I'm sitting bored at work. The right to ignore works on Hibs.net as well. Plenty stuff I don't click on as it doesn't interest me.

In this case I think what he's saying is worth discussing but that doesn't mean taking them at face value and deciding Stokes is a lazy git.

Sean1875
24-08-2017, 10:11 AM
These articles are written by journalists based on conversations with the players they are attributed to. What is written isn't necessarily exactly what was said.

It says at the top of the article "By Kevin Thomson" though.. I doubt they would be publishing this article crediting its content to Kevin Thomson unless he had read it through and was happy to have it published. He has articles credited to him fairly regularly in that paper.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Cause it's a Thursday morning and I'm sitting bored at work. The right to ignore works on Hibs.net as well. Plenty stuff I don't click on as it doesn't interest me.

In this case I think what he's saying is worth discussing but that doesn't mean taking them at face value and deciding Stokes is a lazy git.

KTs views on stokes do interest me and I'm glad you posted the link.

It was indeed, "an interesting piece" as you said, well worth reading, so your subsequent point about ignoring it confused me.

Regarding his actual points, he suggests that Stokes doesn't train well. I have no knowledge to the contrary, and I doubt anyone else on here does, but somehow the consensus is that Thomson is wrong. Bizarre.

PS You're bored at work? Apply yourself a bit more, then, and keep busy. No wonder you have sympathy with Anthony Stokes.

Firestarter
24-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Ah, sorry I didn't realise he had his own EEN column now. In that case it's a little dubious.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Thomson comes across as the kind of person who loves the sound of their own voice. Really is an irrelevance tbh.

What if he's right?

Firestarter
24-08-2017, 10:32 AM

It's not really, it does give some background info' on how Stokes applies himself on and off the pitch.

Smartie
24-08-2017, 10:41 AM
It should be an interesting piece from an interesting angle - KT has trained with him so will know better than any of us what kind of trainer he is and what kind of a guy he is.

All we really have to go on is how he is performing on the park.

Over the piece I've been happy with Stokes performances so far. He made a sub appearance a few days after joining, looked bit rusty but generally did well. He was superb against Partick, looked keen and interested and linked up excellently with Murray. I wasn't at Ibrox, I could see from the highlights he was lucky to stay on the park, I haven't heard any reports that he was brilliant but you don't win at Ibrox with passengers so I assume he made a contribution.

He was totally crap last Saturday. He had a bad game, just like our entire team, although I thought he was possibly our biggest disappointment and at times didn't look as interested as he might. He still got a goal at the end though - meaning that if everyone else had done their job he would have won the game for us.

One poor game though and it seems like it is open season to put the boot into him. He's just joined and already there are knives out for him.

I don't know what he was like in training, but the last time he was with us he knocked his pan in on the park, sometimes to his own detriment. On Saturday he was dropping deep to get the ball. At times his body language wasn't great, but he wasn't alone, and when your whole team is having a nightmare it is almost understandable.

Stokes has done well for us in both of his previous spells. He'll do well this time too.

Sean1875
24-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Tbh nothing in that article really surprises me anyway. As another poster has mentioned, if Stokes had the attitude to match his talent then he would be nowhere near Hibs.

Part of the reason I think him and SM will work so well together is down to Simons crazy work rate combined with Stokesys natural talent - fully confident they'll both score plenty this year.

cabbageandribs1875
24-08-2017, 10:50 AM
i might read the article later, as for KT..i thought his actions were an utter disgrace at the time of moving to the orcs, behaviour not befitting of a captain of HFC, even though years later he denied all the s@it that was getting printed at the time, it's just a pity he didn't deny at the time what was said in all these articles the days after they were printed, having said that i did start to mellow when it was disclosed he was playing for free for a spell after he returned

Steve-O
24-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Kevin Thomson really thinks a lot of himself. Mostly without merit IMO.

we are hibs
24-08-2017, 11:08 AM
It's not really, it does give some background info' on how Stokes applies himself on and off the pitch.

I'm saying Thomson is an irrelevance. I couldn't care less what he thinks about the club, he's hardly a trustworthy person.

Firestarter
24-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm saying Thomson is an irrelevance. I couldn't care less what he thinks about the club, he's hardly a trustworthy person.

Fair enough, he's anything but an irrelevance imo.

1van Sprou7e
24-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Stokes really hasn't been lazy (on the pitch at least) in his 2nd and 3rd spells here

KWJ
24-08-2017, 11:31 AM
PS You're bored at work? Apply yourself a bit more, then, and keep busy. No wonder you have sympathy with Anthony Stokes.

:greengrin :slipper:

24-08-2017, 11:35 AM
I don't actually mind KT anymore, but what a strange article. It all just seems a bit pointless?

Like most of the "stories" in the Evening News.

patlowe
24-08-2017, 11:38 AM

I thought Stokes work rate was OK in his last spell. He's no Simon Murray but did what was expected of him and once he's up to speed I fully expect the same to this time.

His comments about training aren't particularly damning. It sounds like Anthony turned up on time, left when it wasn't done and did what he needed to do. Basically he did everything asked of him. No mention of him coming late, missing sessions or anything like that.

His point is that you don't make it to the very top unless you give more than the minimum asked of you. Without naming names, I don't think it's too outlandish to suggest that there have been a number of very talented guys at Hibs over the years that have never reached their full potential due to a lack of commitment to their careers. People always use the Murray comparison but just look at the progress made by guys like Tierney or Griffiths when there is such an obvious desire to work hard and improve.

However, a previous poster made the point that Stokes wouldn't be here if he was the model professional and that is certainly the case. I don't want to see Hibs as a haven for washups or workshies but if you want a player like Stokes at a club of our stature then we have to accept the caveats that come with that. What I would say is that I would be put out if I was a fringe player and I saw a guy come in with no pre-season training under his belt and go straight into the team. Not the best message IMO but I'm willing to accept that sometimes talent wins out.

I don't have a problem with Thomson raising this - I think it's an interesting point of discussion. I'm not convinced he would have made it any higher if his body had been more reliable though - I reckon a hardworking role in the Rangers team was probably his glass ceiling ability wise, whereas Stokes definitely has underachieved.

Golden Bear
24-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I decided to ignore this thread because I just knew that the same old posters would be giving the guy a panning regardless of whether he was right or wrong.

Now why did I ever post this?

:duck:

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Like most of the "stories" in the Evening News.

Apart from the ones we agree with.

OsloHibs
24-08-2017, 11:45 AM
I think it's a very good article. As with every walk of life- talent will only take you so far, the rest is down to how hard you work & how much you want it.

24-08-2017, 11:47 AM
He must have been up all night trying to figure out how to come accross as a much of a welt as he does in that piece.

Stokes will be finishing his career as one of the all time SPL scorers and I doubt he'll be caring too much about the opinions of ex-professionals, as such.

:greengrin I see what you did there. Must've been about 20 of them edited out.

I'm not bothered about the article. I'm happy with what I've seen so far from Stokes, 3 goals plus a beautiful assist for Murray's goal against Ayr. I have high hopes for him but I'm keeping my expectations low on how quickly we will see the best of him. I'm confident we have the right man in Lennon to achieve that.

What KT said about his attitude maybe right however, maybe he's matured a bit, he did after all choose Hibs over more lucrative offers in order to get his career back on track. So he does sometimes do the sensible thing.

Phil MaGlass
24-08-2017, 11:54 AM
maybe i am the only one here, while he may or may not come over as a bit of a welt, he may well have hit it on the head. His attitude and training techniques will have to change if he wants to stay fit and playing fitba for a while to come. I look at guys like kenny Miller when I say this, his fitness and attitude are second to none. If Stokesy can have the same attitude and I am not saying for one minute he doesnt, he can be brilliant for us and work his way back into the Ireland squad. If this piece by KT gives Stokesy a kick up the erse then he will be all the better for it, if even one bit of this piece is true then hopefully it will.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 12:01 PM
His point is that you don't make it to the very top unless you give more than the minimum asked of you. Without naming names, I don't think it's too outlandish to suggest that there have been a number of very talented guys at Hibs over the years that have never reached their full potential due to a lack of commitment to their careers. People always use the Murray comparison but just look at the progress made by guys like Tierney or Griffiths when there is such an obvious desire to work hard and improve.

However, a previous poster made the point that Stokes wouldn't be here if he was the model professional and that is certainly the case. I don't want to see Hibs as a haven for washups or workshies but if you want a player like Stokes at a club of our stature then we have to accept the caveats that come with that. What I would say is that I would be put out if I was a fringe player and I saw a guy come in with no pre-season training under his belt and go straight into the team. Not the best message IMO but I'm willing to accept that sometimes talent wins out.

I don't have a problem with Thomson raising this - I think it's an interesting point of discussion. I'm not convinced he would have made it any higher if his body had been more reliable though - I reckon a hardworking role in the Rangers team was probably his glass ceiling ability wise, whereas Stokes definitely has underachieved.

I agree with most of your comments, although I think Thomson would have furthered his career, if it hadn't been for those knee injuries and the leg break.

He was only 24 when the first injury struck so he never really reached his prime.

It's ironic that Kevin Thomson gets abuse from Hibs fans for what he (never) said, but Scott Brown is still held in high esteem, although he was the one to submit a transfer request, not KT.

FitbaFolkKen
24-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Article seems fair enough to me, I think it is quite obvious that Stokes could have continued to play at a higher level but it didn't work out. Whether Thomson is right about his application or not he would know better than me.

He is also bigging up his academy by focusing on hard work and application so it gives an idea of his approach to training these young guys.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 12:06 PM
maybe i am the only one here, while he may or may not come over as a bit of a welt, he may well have hit it on the head. His attitude and training techniques will have to change if he wants to stay fit and playing fitba for a while to come. I look at guys like kenny Miller when I say this, his fitness and attitude are second to none. If Stokesy can have the same attitude and I am not saying for one minute he doesnt, he can be brilliant for us and work his way back into the Ireland squad. If this piece by KT gives Stokesy a kick up the erse then he will be all the better for it, if even one bit of this piece is true then hopefully it will.

That's a great analogy.

I think Stokesy will score a load of goals for Hibs, which is great, but I doubt he'll be playing at any decent standard, if at all, when he's 37.

24-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Apart from the ones we agree with.

Aye, apart from those ones! Seriously though, most of the content in this "newspaper" is utter Tom Kite. Majority of the articles smack of being written by a 15 year old and/or in a sensational-tabloid-style.

tamig
24-08-2017, 12:12 PM
I agree with most of your comments, although I think Thomson would have furthered his career, if it hadn't been for those knee injuries and the leg break.

He was only 24 when the first injury struck so he never really reached his prime.

It's ironic that Kevin Thomson gets abuse from Hibs fans for what he (never) said, but Scott Brown is still held in high esteem, although he was the one to submit a transfer request, not KT.
I think he was younger than that when he did his first cruciate against Thistle.

superfurryhibby
24-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Here's what I took from the article. Stokes is a very gifted footballer who has never made the most of his talents. He does what's needed and no more. If he worked as hard as it as other less gifted players then he would even better than he is.

As for Thomson, I don't give a **** about what how he left the club. He was 22 years of age and has expressed a lot of regret about that episode in his career. He served Hibs well and was a fantastic player in his prime. His first serious injury was when he was 20 and sadly his career was curtailed by physical fragility.

He knows the game well and is considerably better placed than most of us to offer an informed view, a players view. I think he is trying to build up a media profile and why not? I like his honesty in the interviews he's given and think he's worth listening to.

Golden Bear
24-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Here's what I took from the article. Stokes is a very gifted footballer who has never made the most of his talents. He does what's needed and no more. If he worked as hard as it as other less gifted players then he would even better than he is.

As for Thomson, I don't give a **** about what how he left the club. He was 22 years of age and has expressed a lot of regret about that episode in his career. He served Hibs well and was a fantastic player in his prime. His first serious injury was when he was 20 and sadly his career was curtailed by physical fragility.

He knows the game well and is considerably better placed than most of us to offer an informed view, a players view. I think he is trying to build up a media profile and why not? I like his honesty in the interviews he's given and think he's worth listening to.

:top marks

Top post.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 12:26 PM

:aok:

Pretty Boy
24-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Maybe Stokes is happy with his career and life.

He's won 9 major trophies, international caps, player of the month and goal of the season awards. Not a bad haul by any standards. Maybe he had no desire to sacrifice other areas of his life further to take another step up. That's the same in any walk of life; some people are motivated by career progression, more money, more power and so on whilst others like to do what they have to do to pay the bills and enjoy a lifestyle that suits them.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Maybe Stokes is happy with his career and life.

He's won 9 major trophies, international caps, player of the month and goal of the season awards. Not a bad haul by any standards. Maybe he had no desire to sacrifice other areas of his life further to take another step up. That's the same in any walk of life; some people are motivated by career progression, more money, more power and so on whilst others like to do what they have to do to pay the bills and enjoy a lifestyle that suits them.

:hmmm:

Maybe. Maybe he is now.

It certainly didn't sound like he was happy with his life at Blackburn.

However, that's not the point KT is making.

He's saying that if AS applied himself more he could be even better but, for some reason, contentment or lethargy or whatever, he chooses not to. That may be his prerogative, but it's still a valid observation.

I'm still hoping Neil Lennon can motivate him to be magnificent for us.

basehibby
24-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Just another ex-pro giving it large to anyone who is wanting to listen to his ranting!!

Should stick to his training with up and coming footballers, rather talk about what he done!!!!

Really? I read it more as a gauntlet down to Stokesy from a former teammate hoping to be proved wrong.

SirDavidsNapper
24-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Don't disagree with Thomson. Stokes is clearly a very good player but for me doesn't show it as much as he could.

Pete
24-08-2017, 03:12 PM

I think this is the main point. I also don't think KT is lying either (although the interview might have been twisted a wee bit, as it usually is).

We should stop being precious about Stokes, realise where we are in the grand scheme of things and consider ourselves lucky to have him regardless of his "attitude".

hibsboy69
24-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I think Kevin is spot on.

Im sure we all (Kevin included) hope that Stokes knuckles down, works hard and does what he does best.

Kevin is qualified to speak on such matters......which some on here appear to dislike!

For the record, Kevin (and his 2 sons) are Season Ticket holders at Easter Road. Just like us, he cares for Hibs.

I enjoy his articles and interviews and hope he keeps them coming !

rcarter1
24-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Im sure we all (Kevin included) hope that Stokes knuckles down, works hard and does what he does best.

Kevin is qualified to speak on such matters......which some on here appear to dislike!

For the record, Kevin (and his 2 sons) are Season Ticket holders at Easter Road. Just like us, he cares for Hibs.

This thread is a bit judge-mental.

Stokes will have good and bad games, but how hard he pushes himself is kind of down to him. Im just delighted he is here with us. He also plays off the cuff, and is simply different to other people in the game. I like a bit of je ne sais quoi in a player. And Scottish Cup goal scoring, Hun skelpers.

KT :talkh:

hibbydog
24-08-2017, 08:49 PM

I agree he's qualified to comment and his heart is in the right place.

But the constant comparisons with himself are a bit indulgent and aren't really relevant to the point he's making.

ColinNish
24-08-2017, 09:00 PM

That's easy for you to say!! :greengrin:

sadtom
24-08-2017, 09:28 PM
I don't think you need to have played with Stokes or even have played professionally to recognise that AS has undoubted ability and that it has not been maximised by his questionable application and dedication. As others have mentioned, he wouldn't be with us if he had made the most of his talents.
Hopefully he will be a little bit more mature and wise and make the most of the remaining years of his career.
In essence it is a bit of a 'non story'.

As for KT, i was as furious as anyone with his behaviour when he left.
Time, and his second spell with us, has healed a lot of that bad feeling and i accept his regret and welcome him back as a genuine Hibs fan.
What i do find a bit odd and quite contradictory is the 'bigging up' of himself in various articles as several posters have also commented on.
Surely this, 'if he was chocolate he would eat himself', type attitude was exactly the sort of criticism that he (and others) leveled against John 'six pack' Collins?! That JC alienated himself with many of the younger members of the squad by highlighting how successful he had been in comparison to them.
Whether there was any substance in those criticisms of JC or not is irrelevant. However KT clearly believes it was. In that respect it seems particularly strange that he appears to be doing something similar, particularly as he is involved in youth coaching.
If he felt that behaving like that was a flaw in JC's handling of young players, it seems a bit rich if he has been unable to learn from what he saw mistakes in other peoples coaching styles only to end up replicating those 'mistakes'.

matty_f
24-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well.

percy veer
24-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Stokes played the full 90 minutes against Partick, less than a week after signing for us, and was running well and looking fresh enough at the end of the match. This was without a proper pre-season. I'm not sure he's as lazy as KT is suggesting.

no he didnae

Peevemor
24-08-2017, 09:57 PM
no he didnaeWhat bit have I got wrong (it's well possible).

hibsdaft
24-08-2017, 09:58 PM

I would rather he had. Hiding behind no transfer request is just bull**** when you're all over the papers for weeks on end talking about crawling to Ibrox Park over broken glass.

Scott Brown was honest, put in his request and it was over and done with rather cleanly as I recall.

Kevin Thomson was our Club Captain, a Hibs supporter. He dragged us through the gutter for weeks and weeks - he made a mockery of our Club in my view. Yes he was young and I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same in his shoes, who knows? I would be delighted to forgive him - but only if he admitted his responsibility for what happened. Instead whenever I hear him speak** he still seems to be hiding behind the antics of his ****my agent and the gutter press, blaming others entirely. Weeks went by when he could have retracted the words that went out in his name. He chose not to and still seems to refuse to take responsibility for what happened.

** If someone can point to him actually taking some responsibility (not just 'regret') for what happened I would of course happily retract the above and sign up to the Kevin Thomson is alright now club.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:00 PM
What bit have I got wrong (it's well possible).

He came on as a sub against PT.

hibsdaft
24-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I think he is trying to build up a media profile and why not? I like his honesty in the interviews he's given and think he's worth listening to.

So he's using his Hibs connections to openly slate a prominent Hibs player for personal gain?

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:16 PM
I would rather he had. Hiding behind no transfer request is just bull**** when you're all over the papers for weeks on end talking about crawling to Ibrox Park over broken glass.

Scott Brown was honest, put in his request and it was over and done with rather cleanly as I recall.

Kevin Thomson was our Club Captain, a Hibs supporter. He dragged us through the gutter for weeks and weeks - he made a mockery of our Club in my view. Yes he was young and I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same in his shoes, who knows? I would be delighted to forgive him - but only if he admitted his responsibility for what happened. Instead whenever I hear him speak** he still seems to be hiding behind the antics of his ****my agent and the gutter press, blaming others entirely. Weeks went by when he could have retracted the words that went out in his name. He chose not to and still refused to take responsibility for what happened.

** If someone can point to him actually taking some responsibility (not just 'regret') for what happened I would of course happily retract the above and sign up to the Kevin Thomson is alright now club.

Maybe he could send you a vial of his blood. :rolleyes:

Thomson had reached the grand old age of 22 when all that happened, and it was only 10 years ago so it's far too early to stop harbouring a senseless grudge.

His explanations and his playing for nothing aren't enough for him to be welcomed back into the Hibs fold.

Even though you think you might have done something similar.

You're not related to my ex, are you?

And you're wrong about Brown. He eventually withdrew his request, but we were subjected to Huns taunting us about how they were going to "take Scott Brown".

hibsdaft
24-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Maybe he could send you a vial of his blood. :rolleyes

Thomson had reached the grand old age of 22 when all that happened, and it was only 10 years ago so it's far to early to stop harbouring a senseless grudge.

His explanations and his playing for nothing aren't enough for him to be welcomed back into the Hibs fold.

Even though you think you might have done something similar.

You're not related to my ex, are you?

has he ever just said, aye, that was out of order?

Peevemor
24-08-2017, 10:21 PM
He came on as a sub against PT.That's right - I stand corrected.

He got, 20 minutes against Partick then played the full 90 against Ayr - still less than a week after signing.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:23 PM
has he ever just said, aye, that was out of order?

Does folk always have to use your choice of words?

https://thecelticblog.com/2017/06/blogs/watch-kevin-thomson-slam-keith-jackson-in-an-astonishing-interview-about-his-hibs-move/

majorhibs
24-08-2017, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=hibsdaft;5151798]I would rather he had. Hiding behind no transfer request is just bull**** when you're all over the papers for weeks on end talking about crawling to Ibrox Park over broken glass.

Kevin Thomson was our Club Captain, a Hibs supporter. He dragged us through the gutter for weeks and weeks - he made a mockery of our Club in my view. Yes he was young and I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same in his shoes, who knows? I would be delighted to forgive him - but only if he admitted his responsibility for what happened. Instead whenever I hear him speak** he still seems to be hiding behind the antics of his ****my agent and the gutter press, blaming others entirely. Weeks went by when he could have retracted the words that went out in his name. He chose not to and still seems to refuse to take responsibility for what happened.

** If someone can point to him actually taking some responsibility (not just 'regret') for what happened I would of course happily retract the above and sign up to the Kevin Thomson is alright now club.[/QUOTE

Crawling along the M8 across broken glass on my hands & knees- it was along these lines. From Hibs captain.. you forget if you want. Not me.
Sorry not at you at all KTs relatives or dad like hibbyradge etc who back him up. HE SAID at time, in daily rangers, he would sign for huns from Hibs, by goin along broken glass along M8. You lot might forgive that, not me.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=hibsdaft;5151798]I would rather he had. Hiding behind no transfer request is just bull**** when you're all over the papers for weeks on end talking about crawling to Ibrox Park over broken glass.

** If someone can point to him actually taking some responsibility (not just 'regret') for what happened I would of course happily retract the above and sign up to the Kevin Thomson is alright now club.[/QUOTE

Crawling along the M8 across broken glass on my hands & knees- it was along these lines. From Hibs captain.. you forget if you want. Not me.

He has said that he didn't say or write those words.

It was Keith Jackson.

The Record wouldn't have printed a retraction and if he'd gone elsewhere, he would have just made things worse for himself.

Can you imagine what the Sun would have printed if he'd told them that he didn't say it? Or what the next set of questions would have been.

He was a 22 year old footballer, not an experienced politician.

keep the faith
24-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Sorry not at you at all KTs relatives or dad like hibbyradge etc who back him up. HE SAID at time, in daily rangers, he would sign for huns from Hibs, by goin along broken glass along M8. You lot might forgive that, not me.

I certainly forgive a very young hibs lad for being sucked in my the media. KT has a high opinion of himself at times, but he loves the club and plenty on here (old enough to know way better) should grow up and move on.
Same posters making the same boring points.

kevinc
24-08-2017, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=majorhibs;5151816]

It was Keith Jackson.

The Record wouldn't have printed a retraction and if he'd gone elsewhere, he would have just made things worse for himself.

Can you imagine what the Sun would have printed if he'd told them that he didn't say it? Or what the next set of questions would have been.

He was a snidey revisionist and nothing much has changed. Didn't exactly succeed in England nor at international level, what do you see as his big achievements for Hibs.

PS he also plays up to the Sevco fans as a Hun lover/Celtic hater and recently explained how he bullied Robbie Keane, plastic hard man.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;5151822]

He was a snidey revisionist and nothing much has changed. Didn't exactly succeed in England nor at international level, what do you see as his big achievements for Hibs.

PS he also plays up to the Sevco fans as a Hun lover/Celtic hater and recently explained how he bullied Robbie Keane, plastic hard man.

I'm not sure what his achievements at Hibs or in England have to do with this discussion.

It's obvious that you want to believe the worst about Thomson.

I prefer the happier story.

kevinc
24-08-2017, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=kevinc;5151834]

I'm not sure what his achievements at Hibs or in England have to do with this discussion.

It's obvious that you want to believe the worst about Thomson.

I prefer the happier story.
His story , and this discussion, are about his article on Stokes, my view is that Stokes achievements at Hibs , in England and at International level are bettter than Thomsons; I suspect his Old Firm honours won't be less.

It's obvious that you want to believe the best about Thomson.

pacorosssco
24-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Regardless of my opinion on KT I think its poor of him to comment on an ex team mates commitment. Could have just kept his view of stokes to himself.

Hibbyradge
24-08-2017, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;5151841]
His story , and this discussion, are about his article on Stokes, my view is that Stokes achievements at Hibs , in England and at International level are bettter than Thomsons; I suspect his Old Firm honours won't be less.

Yes, I believe him and, as I said, I prefer the happier story.

Thecat23
24-08-2017, 11:14 PM
So he's using his Hibs connections to openly slate a prominent Hibs player for personal gain?

Eh.... No!

kevinc
24-08-2017, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=kevinc;5151843]

Yes, as I said, I prefer the happier story.

Fine with that, i would take Stokes over KT all day long.

pacorosssco
24-08-2017, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;5151841]

Interesting to compare. Neither cut it down south but Stokes had more chances but KT injured time down south. Hard to say who has done better time OF and even time at Hibs is hard to judge. Stokes will shade for cup final but was his year at Hibs then half season loan better performances than KT year and half under Mowbray and break under blobby

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Stokes has never had an ongoing feud with a Hibs manager while we got relegated. Stokes edges it for me.

MWHIBBIES
25-08-2017, 01:26 AM
I wish we treated real ****s like Butcher and Calderwood the way we do Kevin Thomson.

Thomson had every right to be raging at Butcher, he was our best player whenever he played yet Butcher put him on the bench because he didnt fall in line. This place was well behind Thomson at the time with most agreeing he should be first choice. How he gets grief for his actions then is beyond me.

Thommo was a classy player who made some poor decisions when he was young and had some horrific injuries. He still helped Hibs reach 5 cup finals, 2 of which we won and had 3rd and 4th place finishes in his time here.

Nothing he says about Stokes really matters, he is just wanting a bit of publicity for his academy.

easty
25-08-2017, 07:02 AM

It was Keith Jackson.

The fact that he says he didn't say or write it, makes it worse for me. For a start, I dinnae believe him, and think him denying it is pathetic. But...even if it were true, and he didn't say it, it took him too long to make that known. To defend him with 'he was just a young laddie' or 'nobody would have printed it' is *****.

He made his bed and he was only too happy to lie in it for about 10 years, before telling us it wasn't him.

He then managed to make the fall out with Butcher and Malpas the main talking point about his time at Hibs in that season, completely overshadowing the fact that he was just as diddy as the rest of the squad that season, he did nowt.

Thecat23
25-08-2017, 07:13 AM
The fact that he says he didn't say or write it, makes it worse for me. For a start, I dinnae believe him, and think him denying it is pathetic. But...even if it were true, and he didn't say it, it took him too long to make that known. To defend him with 'he was just a young laddie' or 'nobody would have printed it' is *****.

He made his bed and he was only too happy to lie in it for about 10 years, before telling us it wasn't him.

He then managed to make the fall out with Butcher and Malpas the main talking point about his time at Hibs in that season, completely overshadowing the fact that he was just as diddy as the rest of the squad that season, he did nowt.

At least he was upfront and honest about Butcher and the boys were all behind him as well. Spoke to Kevin many times as his boy plays same group as my son. They utter ***** said about him or hibs by the papers at the time were unreal.

He loves Hibs, he's also doing well for himself if folk don't like him fair dos, but picking quotes from the Record and stuff says it all. Some of his pod casts are a good listen too you should have a listen.

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Everytime I read Thomson I'm struck by his massive ego and obvious sense of entitlement. That's the main reason I don't believe his claim about the 'walking along the m8 through broken glass' article being Keith Jackson misquoting him. Im guessing it was worse for word Thomson.

CentreLine
25-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Saw Stokes out on the High Street last night. Thought it was outrageous that he was completely sober and it was half past ten at night. What is the world coming to ?

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Everytime I read Thomson I'm struck by his massive ego and obvious sense of entitlement. That's the main reason I don't believe his claim about the 'walking along the m8 through broken glass' article being Keith Jackson misquoting him. Im guessing it was worse for word Thomson.

I wonder why Keith Jackson hasn't denied writing that story. KT didn't say he was misquoted. He said Jackson made it up completely. I can believe that of Jackson, plus it's a very risky game making things up about journalists.

I also think that Kevin Thomson must feel very unlucky and hard done to because of all the injuries. His comments about his own ability are like a symptom, or even the effect, of that.

He's only 32. He should still be playing. It wouldn't be much of a surprise to learn that he feels sorry for himself.

Almost like a cry of "It could/should have been me". Usually that sort of thing is caused by n overactive imagination, but in KTs case, it's probably true.

Thomson had given his side of the story and folk will believe what suits them to believe.

It's remarkable how long people can beat a grudge, mind you.

easty
25-08-2017, 08:05 AM
At least he was upfront and honest about Butcher and the boys were all behind him as well. Spoke to Kevin many times as his boy plays same group as my son. They utter ***** said about him or hibs by the papers at the time were unreal.

He loves Hibs, he's also doing well for himself if folk don't like him fair dos, but picking quotes from the Record and stuff says it all. Some of his pod casts are a good listen too you should have a listen.

I don't dislike Thomson, although I can see why it might seem otherwise from my posts, I think he was a very good player, and hes a hibby, and if he's doing well for himself now then good for him.

I think if he'd eventually come out and said something like - I wish I hadn't said that stuff when I left Hibs for Rangers, it was stupid and I regret it - I'd have much more respect for him. As it stands he's still using the ****gy excuse, and it's pathetic.

easty
25-08-2017, 08:09 AM
I wonder why Keith Jackson hasn't denied writing that story.

It's a risky game making things up about journalists.

That's an odd way to look at it.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 08:12 AM

For a Hibs fan, he certainly loves Rangers. He chats more Rangers on his Twitter than he ever does Hibs.

matty_f
25-08-2017, 08:13 AM
For a Hibs fan, he certainly loves Rangers. He chats more Rangers on his Twitter than he ever does Hibs.

I can't imagine a Hibby talking that much about Rangers. Have up seen the thread on them on this forum? How many posts do you reckon you have on that? :wink:

Super_JMcGinn
25-08-2017, 08:15 AM
I used to love Thomson when he broke into the Hibs team, his attitude and his head size changed when he was made captain imo and it went downhill from there for me.

I don't think Stokesy will lose any sleep over what KT thinks about his attitude or commitment.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 08:15 AM
That's an odd way to look at it.

In what way?

KT is accusing a journalist of making up stories. Why hasn't Jackson defended himself?

easty
25-08-2017, 08:20 AM
In what way?

KT us accusing a journalist of making up stories. Why hasn't Jackson defended himself?

Has KT actually accused anyone of anything? He's said things like "it wasnae me" and "my words got twisted", but I don't think I've ever heard him say "Keith Jackson made it up".

Until he directly accuses anyone why would anyone respond to it?

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Has KT actually accused anyone of anything? He's said things like "it wasnae me" and "my words got twisted", but I don't think I've ever heard him say "Keith Jackson made it up".

Until he directly accuses anyone why would anyone respond to it?

He has said exactly that.

He said that Jackson asked him if he could just write something himself.

https://thecelticblog.com/2017/06/blogs/watch-kevin-thomson-slam-keith-jackson-in-an-astonishing-interview-about-his-hibs-move/#

easty
25-08-2017, 08:50 AM
He has said exactly that.

He said that Jackson asked him if he could just write something himself.

https://thecelticblog.com/2017/06/blogs/watch-kevin-thomson-slam-keith-jackson-in-an-astonishing-interview-about-his-hibs-move/#

Aw aye, that video, seen it before. I don't believe him, at all.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 08:59 AM
I can't imagine a Hibby talking that much about Rangers. Have up seen the thread on them on this forum? How many posts do you reckon you have on that? :wink:

Fair point. [emoji23] Although my intentions towards Rangers/Sevco are far more honourable.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Aw aye, that video, seen it before. I don't believe him, at all.

Now that I don't understand.

The notion that a 22 year old footballer would say such a thing to a journalist in the first place is, in itself, ludicrous, but why would anyone want to believe Keith Jackson before a dyed in the wool Hibs supporter?

Maybe all 11 Rangers players really were assaulted, after all.

lapsedhibee
25-08-2017, 09:04 AM

The notion that a 22 year old footballer would say such a thing to a journalist in the first place is, in itself, ludicrous, but why would anyone want to believe Keith Jackson before a died in the wool Hibs supporter?
The

Katie's not died. He might be dyed.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Katie's not died. He might be dyed.

Thanks. Sorted.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 09:11 AM

The notion that a 22 year old footballer would say such a thing to a journalist in the first place is, in itself, ludicrous, but why would anyone want to believe Keith Jackson before a dyed in the wool Hibs supporter?

Doesn't matter who wrote it. If it didn't reflect his views then he could have said so. He didn't.

easty
25-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Doesn't matter who wrote it. If it didn't reflect his views then he could have said so. He didn't.

Yep. Like I've said already - he made his bed and he was only too happy to lie in it for about 10 years, before telling us it wasn't him.

easty
25-08-2017, 09:15 AM

The KT story and the cup final story have nowt to do with each other.

And, believe it or not radge...some Hibs supporters lie about stuff, we're a better breed than most, but we're not perfect in every way.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 09:24 AM
The KT story and the cup final story have nowt to do with each other.

And, believe it or not radge...some Hibs supporters lie about stuff, we're a better breed than most, but we're not perfect in every way.

Both stories were written by Keith Jackson, so we know for sure that Jackson lies. KT is accusing him of doing exactly that.

I believe KT.

Regarding him waiting 10 years to deny it, he didn't. He denied saying it at least as far back as 2010.

25-08-2017, 09:26 AM
I don’t really care what he said 10 years ago.

I don’t understand why he’s writing this article based on Stokes application given he has played 3 games in 2 weeks after not having a pre season.

Might suggest he has been working hard keeping himself fit off his own back but instead KT writes this baseless pish.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 09:30 AM

I don’t understand why he’s writing this article based on Stokes application given he has played 3 games in 2 weeks after not having a pre season.

Might suggest he has been working hard keeping himself fit off his own back but instead KT writes this baseless pish.

Maybe Neil Lennon asked him to write something like that :wink:

OsloHibs
25-08-2017, 10:16 AM
I remember seeing Harry Kane score for Millwall 5 years ago. Never thought back then that he would be the top scorer of the premiership. Hard work & a good attitude are absolutely needed to get where you want in life. Hopefully this is the season for Stokes after a lost few years in football leagues.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Maybe Neil Lennon asked him to write something like that :wink:

Maybe he didn't.

oldbutdim
25-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Both stories were written by Keith Jackson, so we know for sure that Jackson lies. KT is accusing him of doing exactly that.

I believe KT.

Regarding him waiting 10 years to deny it, he didn't. He denied saying it at least as far back as 2010.

I was raging at the time of the story.

A young lady friend of mine was/is a close pal of his and she told me KT's version within a few weeks of the story.

No reason to disbelieve that.

Still - it's all water under the bridge now. He's just another Hibs fan.

Like most of us on here.

Steve-O
25-08-2017, 10:46 AM

That's funny since Thomson left first, was less than half the price of Brown and said he'd walk over broken glass to get to Ibrox. I'm no particular fan of Brown and his part in all that either incidentally, but he's not the one still writing guff in newspapers 10 years on. And he didn't at the time either.

Steve-O
25-08-2017, 10:51 AM
I wonder why Keith Jackson hasn't denied writing that story. KT didn't say he was misquoted. He said Jackson made it up completely. I can believe that of Jackson, plus it's a very risky game making things up about journalists.

I also think that Kevin Thomson must feel very unlucky and hard done to because of all the injuries. His comments about his own ability are like a symptom, or even the effect, of that.

He's only 32. He should still be playing. It wouldn't be much of a surprise to learn that he feels sorry for himself.

Almost like a cry of "It could/should have been me". Usually that sort of thing is caused by n overactive imagination, but in KTs case, it's probably true.

Thomson had given his side of the story and folk will believe what suits them to believe.

It's remarkable how long people can beat a grudge, mind you.

Thomson bears a grudge against Hibs for not giving him a coaching role. He is an entitled brat, just like he was 10 years ago.

Thecat23
25-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Thomson bears a grudge against Hibs for not giving him a coaching role. He is an entitled brat, just like he was 10 years ago.

Utter crap.

Malthibby
25-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I was raging at the time of the story.

A young lady friend of mine was/is a close pal of his and she told me KT's version within a few weeks of the story.

No reason to disbelieve that.

Still - it's all water under the bridge now. He's just another Hibs fan.

Like most of us on here.

I choose to believe this version; I have always assumed Jackson is pathologically incapable of honesty. For KT, we are split on him & nothing that's said now
is likely to change that. I still have a photie of the team running across Hampden after one of Rankers Dutch guys missed the penalty in the 2004 semi-final
& that will remain one of the happiest Hibs moments of my life; KT was part of that & I will always treasure it.
Less said about the final the better of course....

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Utter garbage. Thomson is a good Hibee who has given way more to the club than his detractors ever can. He's also a very nice guy and has the respect of any Hibby with two brain cells to rub together.

Golden Bear
25-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Most nonsensical post of the year. Many congratulations.

jacomo
25-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Maybe he has some insight and wanted to share it?

To be honest, the news that Stokes is not the world's most dedicated pro does not count as a shocking revelation to me.

Smartie
25-08-2017, 12:18 PM
In the plus column -

Thomson grows up a Hibs fan.

He comes through the ranks to get into our team and plays well for us.

We get a decent fee for him when he moved on.

He puts his acrimonious departure behind him to return to the club for 2 more spells, putting himself out there to be shot at.

He comes back and plays for nowt for a spell.

He struggles to co-operate with a manager who was at the time destroying our club. At the time he was playing as well as anyone at the club.

He makes a significant contribution in a couple of games in our historic cup win.

He now has a season ticket with his 2 kids, bringing them up as Hibs fans.

In the negative column -

He makes awful comments in a newspaper whilst moving to Rangers (possible mitigating factors - being misquoted by a devious journalist, he was young and naive at the time).

Plays (and does quite well) for Hell's Spawn FC.

Causes disruption when back at the club under Butcher.

Makes some critical comments about a former team-mate in the paper (comments which may prove to be reasonably justified).

It may just be the way I see things, but I think anyone who sees more in the negative than positive columns here is a miserable, spiteful *******.

He's a cup winning hero and was a cracking player.

It's good for the soul to forgive, if not quite forget.

Ozyhibby
25-08-2017, 01:19 PM
In the plus column -

He puts his acrimonious departure behind him to return to the club for 2 more spells, putting himself out there to be shot at.

He struggles to co-operate with a manager who was at the time destroying our club. At the time he was playing as well as anyone at the club.

He makes a significant contribution in a couple of games in our historic cup win.

In the negative column -

He makes awful comments in a newspaper whilst moving to Rangers (possible mitigating factors - being misquoted by a devious journalist, he was young and naive at the time).

Makes some critical comments about a former team-mate in the paper (comments which may prove to be reasonably justified).

It may just be the way I see things, but I think anyone who sees more in the negative than positive columns here is a miserable, spiteful *******.

It will be a lot easier to forgive when he stops criticising our players in the press.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 01:45 PM
It will be a lot easier to forgive when he stops criticising our players in the press.

There's nothing to forgive.

Firestarter
25-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Forgiven for what exactly?

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Forgiven for what exactly?

Putting his name to a piece of sheite he says Speirs wrote.

JimBHibees
25-08-2017, 02:32 PM

Jackson not spiers.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Jackson wrote it. Thomson has always denied saying it.

hibsboy69
25-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Utter tosh ! Village Missing Idiot Alert!

He bears that big a grudge against Hibs that he recently bought 3 Season Tickets for himself and his 2 sons! 😂😂😂

hibsboy69
25-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Spot on

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 02:37 PM
There's nothing to forgive.

That's very arguable. But these threads crop up every month or two and the same arguments are regurgitated.

Big L
25-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Looking back their was a few things came in to play, 1st off the players obviously fancied the big bucks, then their was JC's inexperience. RP did nothing to help JC, he sat back and waited on the transfer fees, but the biggest problem was the fact that Thompson and Brown were represented/advised by one of the biggest widoes footballs ever seen! All the ingredients were there for him to make it happen. I was angry at the time and it did leave a bad taste, but just how long can you hold a grudge.

J-C
25-08-2017, 02:47 PM
In the plus column -

In the negative column -

Only bit I disagree with, he stood up to Butcher and his muppet assistants bullying of the younger players to the detriment of being told to train with the kids and not playing, there was a lot of negativity during Butcher's tenure, the squad were ripped apart by it all, the play on the park was obvious for all to see.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 02:50 PM
That's very arguable. But these threads crop up every month or two and the same arguments are regurgitated.

They do, and no-one ever changes their position, regardless of what "evidence" is brought forward. The "evidence" is always in KTs favour, I should add.

For example, the "it took 10 years for him to deny saying it" argument is still trotted out to condemn him, despite the fact that there are easily sourced newspaper articles from years ago in which Thomson denies saying it. There is also anecdotal evidence from other posters which point to him denying it merely weeks after it was published.

I wonder how old Kevin Thomson will reach before folk decide to accept him for what he is. A good Hibby.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Jackson not spiers.

Sorry i meant Jackson.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Sorry i meant Jackson.

I don't forgive you . . .

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I don't forgive you . . .

:faf: :thumbsup:

Smartie
25-08-2017, 03:04 PM
They do, and no-one ever changes their position, regardless of what "evidence" is brought forward. The "evidence" is always in KTs favour, I should add.

For example, the "it took 10 years for him to deny saying it" argument is still trotted out to condemn him, despite the fact that there are easily sourced newspaper articles from years ago in which Thomson denies saying it. There is also anecdotal evidence from other posters which point to him denying it merely weeks after it was published.

I wonder how old Kevin Thomson will reach before folk decide to accept him for what he is. A good Hibby.

I've changed my position.

When he left for Rangers, the manner of the departure left a really bad taste. I don't think at the time I'd have ever wanted him near our club again.

He's since stuck an awful lot in the positive column and has changed my mind.

Time has also allowed me to forget how angry we all were when he left, although it seems some people still carry that anger.

I'm unlikely to be swayed by what he writes in the press. He's written an opinion piece, based on his own experiences of someone he has seen working up close. Ok, it's a bit critical, but it's not unreasonable.

blackpoolhibs
25-08-2017, 03:06 PM

When he left for Rangers, the manner of the departure left a really bad taste. I don't think at the time I'd have ever wanted him near our club again.

Time has also allowed me to forget how angry we all were when he left, although it seems some people still carry that anger.

I'm unlikely to be swayed by what he writes in the press. He's written an opinion piece, based on his own experiences of someone he has seen working up close. Ok, it's a bit critical, but it's not unreasonable.

Judas.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Judas.

:faf:

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 03:14 PM

:aok:

Firestarter
25-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Oh is that it? :) I think playing for free more than covers that part.

Mango Man
25-08-2017, 03:31 PM
He has had some time at hibs, left months before we won the league cup, 2nd time he plays for free and we end up getting relegated, 3rd time we won the Scottish cup and he wasn't even in the squad, I think he has gone a long way to making it up to us, he seems genuinely disappointed with the way it panned out the first time around, he seems like a good guy to me.

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 03:55 PM

The evidence is absolutely NOT 'always in Thomson favour'. Otherwise the arguments wouldn't continue. If the 'Thomson was misquoted' narrative was true, why does he continue to come across as a self aggrandising egotistical prick in other articles like the one in the OP? Is Keith Jackson ghost writing them all? Or is Thomson just the most misquoted individual since Mark Twain?

Pete
25-08-2017, 03:57 PM
I wish we treated real ****s like Butcher and Calderwood the way we do Kevin Thomson.

Thomson had every right to be raging at Butcher, he was our best player whenever he played yet Butcher put him on the bench because he didnt fall in line. This place was well behind Thomson at the time with most agreeing he should be first choice. How he gets grief for his actions then is beyond me.

Thommo was a classy player who made some poor decisions when he was young and had some horrific injuries. He still helped Hibs reach 5 cup finals, 2 of which we won and had 3rd and 4th place finishes in his time here.

Nothing he says about Stokes really matters, he is just wanting a bit of publicity for his academy.

☝🏻

10/10

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 04:18 PM
The evidence is absolutely NOT 'always in Thomson favour'. Otherwise the arguments wouldn't continue. If the 'Thomson was misquoted' narrative was true, why does he continue to come across as a self aggrandising egotistical prick in other articles like the one in the OP? Is Keith Jackson ghost writing them all? Or is Thomson just the most misquoted individual since Mark Twain?

I have never seen any new evidence to suggest that Thomson actually did say that he'd "walk over broken glass" etc.

The only evidence I've seen, anecdotal or not, supports his claim that he didn't say it.

It's important to remember that Kevin Thomson was not misquoted and I've never read anything to suggest he said he was. Instead, he says that Keith Jackson made that quote up entirely.

How KT comes across now is a matter of opinion - I'm comfortable with what he says and how he says it, some people aren't - but even if he does appear to be arrogant etc, it really has no bearing on what happened 10 years ago.

marinello59
25-08-2017, 04:23 PM

He didn't say he was misquoted, he says it was made up.
I really find it hard to understand how grown men can still bear a grudge about a footballers ghost written article after ten years. They're young men famous for playing a simple game very well, not politicians.

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 04:41 PM
I really find it hard to understand how grown men can still bear a grudge about a footballers ghost written article after ten years. They're young men famous for playing a simple game very well, not politicians.

Im not bearing a grudge :dunno: I'm just pointing out that like Morrissey, Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman, he comes across as a right dick in the media.

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Im not bearing a grudge :dunno: I'm just pointing out that like Morrissey, Donald Trump and Dennis Rodman, he comes across as a right dick in the media.

While I disagree, the comparison is very funny and your Dennis Rodman example did make me laugh.

http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Dennis-Rodman.jpg

Firestarter
25-08-2017, 04:58 PM

It's baffling, especially towards a guy that played a big role in both our cup wins.

Pretty Boy
25-08-2017, 05:04 PM
I don't 'hold a grudge' as such against Kevin Thomson and was happy enough when he came back (both times).

Even leaving aside the infamous newspaper comments, which I believe he didn't write, the way both KT (and Scott Brown) created the situation in which they eventually left Hibs, and tried to force Hibs to do the deal on their terms, still leaves a bit of a sour taste for me. We had a fantastic chance to do an unprecedented cup double that year and the various dressing room sagas played a part in putting paid to that. None of the main characters involved came out of those episodes looking good imo (perhaps with the exception of the much maligned Rod Petrie).

easty
25-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I have never seen any new evidence to suggest that Thomson actually did say that he'd "walk over broken glass" etc.

The only evidence I've seen, anecdotal or not, supports his claim that he didn't say it.

It's important to remember that Kevin Thomson was not misquoted and I've never read anything to suggest he said he was. Instead, he says that Keith Jackson made that quote up entirely.

How KT comes across now is a matter of opinion - I'm comfortable with what he says and how he says it, some people aren't - but even if he does appear to be arrogant etc, it really has no bearing on what happened 10 years ago.

I dinnae need any new evidence, I read the article that he put his name to. That's plenty for me. If the next day, or the day after, or the week after, he'd been in another paper, or on the telly, or on the radio, saying "there's been shenanigans afoot, I didnae say that", then that would have been the end of it as far as I'm concerned. He didn't do that though, which is as good as saying it.

Golden Bear
25-08-2017, 05:22 PM
I dinnae need any new evidence, I read the article that he put his name to. That's plenty for me. If the next day, or the day after, or the week after, he'd been in another paper, or on the telly, or on the radio, saying "there's been shenanigans afoot, I didnae say that", then that would have been the end of it as far as I'm concerned. He didn't do that though, which is as good as saying it.

Easty - if you knew the guy you would soon change your opinion. Trust me.

easty
25-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Easty - if you knew the guy you would soon change your opinion. Trust me.

Doubt it. I'm a stubborn ****.

Golden Bear
25-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Your words not mine.

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Game over.

Close the thread.

hibsbollah
25-08-2017, 05:44 PM

While I disagree, the comparison is very funny and your Dennis Rodman example did make me laugh.

http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Dennis-Rodman.jpg

Rodman would have been the final piece in the jigsaw puzzle, a 6'7 midfield enforcer next to Thomson and behind Brown. He would have struck up a friendship with KTs maw and perhaps they would even lent each other nail gloss and beauty tips, saving the impoverished Mrs Thomson some much needed cash :agree:

Hibbyradge
25-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Rodman would have been the final piece in the jigsaw puzzle, a 6'7 midfield enforcer next to Thomson and behind Brown. He would have struck up a friendship with KTs maw and perhaps they would even lent each other nail gloss and beauty tips, saving the impoverished Mrs Thomson some much needed cash :agree:

So near, yet so far.

mjhibby
25-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Utter garbage. Thomson is a good Hibee who has given way more to the club than his detractors ever can. He's also a very nice guy and has the respect of any Hibby with two brain cells to rub together.

A lot of hot air over not very much. The fact he signed for them in acrimonious circumstances will always rankle with a lot of fans. He seems an ok guy and his academy is tremendous at teaching the right way to play. No point in getting worked up about events that may or may not have happened. 3 points on Sunday is all I care about not what kt had to say about stokesy.

superfurryhibby
25-08-2017, 09:48 PM
I don't 'hold a grudge' as such against Kevin Thomson and was happy enough when he came back (both times).

Even leaving aside the infamous newspaper comments, which I believe he didn't write, the way both KT (and Scott Brown) created the situation in which they eventually left Hibs, and tried to force Hibs to do the deal on their terms, still leaves a bit of a sour taste for me. We had a fantastic chance to do an unprecedented cup double that year and the various dressing room sagas played a part in putting paid to that. None of the main characters involved came out of those episodes looking good imo (perhaps with the exception of the much maligned Rod Petrie).

What about Riordan, left for nowt, he left on his terms. Does that still leave a sour taste?

majorhibs
25-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Accepted back, yes, forgotten no, typical here the extremist dramatists who portray others in black & white while ambiguous theirselves. I dislike KT for his hun nonsense but I like him for his Hibs stuff. Probs still on the dislike side tho! That sh*t hurt at the time!

Tornadoes70
25-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Accepted back, yes, forgotten no, typical here the extremist dramatists who portray others in black & white while ambiguous theirselves. I dislike KT for his hun nonsense but I like him for his Hibs stuff. Probs still on the dislike side tho! That sh*t hurt at the time!

Similar with Craig Patterson who swapped the hi bees for the huns as I'm certain you will remember with clarity. I used to sing the songs of 'what's it like to be a hun' however Mr Patterson seldom has anything but good to say regarding the hi bees. They all chase the money at some point.

Firestarter
25-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Riordan signing a pre-contract the actual day Hearts won the Scottish cup hurt more.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Riordan signing a pre-contract the actual day Hearts won the Scottish cup hurt more.

Hahahahahahaha!

majorhibs
25-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Some world you come fae.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 01:37 AM

Kevin Thompson Mozza Trump and Rodman in a sentence. Sir I salute you

OsloHibs
26-08-2017, 02:13 AM
What a load of petty nonsense this thread has become.
For any youngsters looking in- Work hard if you wanna reach the absolute top, talent can only take you so far.

pacorosssco
26-08-2017, 02:52 AM
What a load of petty nonsense this thread has become.
For any youngsters looking in- Work hard if you wanna reach the absolute top, talent can only take you so far.

Yes hard work can only improve yourself but those lucky natural talent are ahead of curve. Testing yourself is a better route. You improve when you play against those better than you. Hutchie vales kill our game I also disagree with pay for academy like KT. SFA should have fluid system and KT take a kid who pays over a kid who can pay.

we are hibs
26-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Thomson should be in the same bracket as Scott Allan, both disrespected the club, the supporters and tried to force moves away to our rivals.

superfurryhibby
26-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Thomson should be in the same bracket as Scott Allan, both disrespected the club, the supporters and tried to force moves away to our rivals.

And here we go back full circle.

There is no comparison between the two. One gave a lot to Hibs, earned the club a 2 million pound transfer fee, came back twice more and played a part in winning the Scottish Cup. The other earned a much smaller fee, pissed off and screwed up their career for the next few seasons whilst winning hee-haw.

Can any of the unforgivers explain why Riordan has been accepted for the modern day legend he is, given he went to Celtic for nowt, whilst Thomson is pilloried. I assume that this is all based on the broken glass stuff? The fickle nature of fan affections eh.

lapsedhibee
26-08-2017, 08:25 AM
I assume that this is all based on the broken glass stuff? The fickle nature of fan affections eh.

Not sure if it's only about broken glass. There was some cringey stuff about his mum, for example, which attracted widespread scorn at the time. I don't remember how many weeks it all went on for, but it did go on for weeks - it wasn't just a single quote.

keep the faith
30-01-2018, 09:06 PM
KT took a bit of a hammering here.
He wasn't wrong.

snooky
30-01-2018, 10:06 PM
He wasn't wrong.

:agree: He nailed it in one.

Is It On....
30-01-2018, 11:34 PM
He wasn't wrong.

He got absolutely slaughtered on here and has, sadly, been vindicated.

CMurdoch
30-01-2018, 11:41 PM
A lot of posters on here owe KT an apology.
He was right on the money on this and I suspect he wasn't even painting Stokes as badly as he truly knew.

cmcd
31-01-2018, 05:48 AM
Not sure if it's only about broken glass. There was some cringey stuff about his mum, for example, which attracted widespread scorn at the time. I don't remember how many weeks it all went on for, but it did go on for weeks - it wasn't just a single quote.

What's cringey about wanting to make a better life for you're family ??

we are hibs
31-01-2018, 06:31 AM
He was right on the money on this and I suspect he wasn't even painting Stokes as badly as he truly knew.

No Hibs fans owe "KT" anything.

WestStandWillie
31-01-2018, 07:05 AM

That'll be shining bright.

He's just as bad.

easty
31-01-2018, 07:27 AM

Correct

lapsedhibee
31-01-2018, 10:03 AM
What's cringey about wanting to make a better life for you're family ??

Nothing, in itself. The cringey way in which all that stuff was presented in the KT newspaper columns was what was ridiculed. His friends, if they'd been good friends to him, would have told him at the time to put a stop to those columns going out.

Hibbyradge
31-01-2018, 10:15 AM

You just needed to have added the words "albeit accurate"...:greengrin

G B Young
31-01-2018, 10:43 AM
I recall being irritated by that article at the time, thinking it seemed harsh and premature. However, in hindsight he was spot on. If it was intended to wind Stokes up and prompt a more professional approach to the game it's a shame it had no effect.

Sammy7nil
31-01-2018, 11:03 AM
I recall being irritated by that article at the time, thinking it seemed harsh and premature. However, in hindsight he was spot on. If it was intended to wind Stokes up and prompt a more professional approach to the game it's a shame it had no effect.

:agree::agree:

Elephant Stone
31-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Agreed.

Also agreed.

--------
31-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Reading that now, I have to say it's a very good piece of sports journalism.

Everything KT writes there has come to pass, and his judgement proved sound.

We might not like to admit it, but he was right. Stokes was a bad signing, and sadly we're well rid.

Golden Bear
31-01-2018, 11:59 AM

What utter nonsense.

Neither of these guys "disrespected" the Club, whereas your idol Anthony Stokes most certainly did.

NAE NOOKIE
31-01-2018, 12:17 PM
All I need to know about Kevin Thomson is that on about 93 minutes at Tynecastle on 07/12/2016 he headed a certain Hearts winner off the line with our keeper nowhere.

Elephant Stone
31-01-2018, 12:21 PM
What utter nonsense.

Neither of these guys "disrespected" the Club, whereas your idol Anthony Stokes most certainly did.

It's utter nonsense to say that Thomson and Allan disrespected Hibs? What planet you on?

Golden Bear
31-01-2018, 12:33 PM
It's utter nonsense to say that Thomson and Allan disrespected Hibs? What planet you on?

There's no sense in going over the same ground over and over again. You believe what you want to believe.

HibbyAndy
31-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Alwyas had my suspicions about you when most gave you the benefit..Knew you were a hearts ****!

HoboHarry
31-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Alwyas had my suspicions about you when most gave you the benefit..Knew you were a hearts ****!
His name was a clue right off the bat......

RIP Bestie
31-01-2018, 02:11 PM
And here we go back full circle.

There is no comparison between the two. One gave a lot to Hibs, earned the club a 2 million pound transfer fee, came back twice more and played a part in winning the Scottish Cup. The other earned a much smaller fee, pissed off and screwed up their career for the next few seasons whilst winning hee-haw.

Can any of the unforgivers explain why Riordan has been accepted for the modern day legend he is, given he went to Celtic for nowt, whilst Thomson is pilloried. I assume that this is all based on the broken glass stuff? The fickle nature of fan affections eh.

I would guess that it is more or an acceptance of Celtic than Rangers within some of our numbers.
Sad really.