PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: MCGINN AND WHITTAKER EARN SCOTLAND CALL-UPS

RSS Bot
21-08-2017, 12:20 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7802)

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry, but Whittaker should be miles off a call up at the moment and if he isn't its pretty clear Scotland have no chance of qualifying for the next world cup and the management have accepted that's the case.

I know I've had a lot to say about Steven Whittaker lately on other threads and I can understand why some folk might begin to think I have a downer on him, but that's far from the case. I was delighted when he signed and was looking forward to his experience and skill making a real difference to us ...... but so far I cant see what he's doing that justifies leaving David Gray out of the team and at the level of fitness he is showing just now I cant believe Scotland are considering him.

Congratulations John McGinn .... please don't get injured.

andybev1
21-08-2017, 12:38 PM
I cant see what he's doing that justifies leaving David Gray out of the team

Agreed.

snooky
21-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Assuming we are out of this WC, why the hell are we picking a 33 year old?
Now's the time to get players in that will be in their prime come the next one.
Has Strachan gone nuts? Jeez.

G B Young
21-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Absolutely. It's this sort of stuff that saw me give up watching Scotland years ago. Hibs player or not, Whittaker's not the way forward for Scotland at 33.

Strachan should have stepped down at the end of the last failed campaign. He surely must go once our failure to qualify this time round is confirmed.

scoopyboy
21-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry, but Whittaker should be miles off a call up at the moment and if he isn't its pretty clear Scotland have no chance of qualifying for the next world cup and the management have accepted that's the case.

I know I've had a lot to say about Steven Whittaker lately on other threads and I can understand why some folk might begin to think I have a downer on him, but that's far from the case. I was delighted when he signed and was looking forward to his experience and skill making a real difference to us ...... but so far I cant see what he's doing that justifies leaving David Gray out of the team and at the level of fitness he is showing just now I cant believe Scotland are considering him.

I agree regarding David Gray, I would move Whittaker to the LHS and give Stevenson a wee rest.

Looper
21-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Absolutely. It's this sort of stuff that saw me give up watching Scotland years ago. Hibs player or not, Whittaker's not the way forward for Scotland at 33.

Strachan should have stepped down at the end of the last failed campaign. He surely must go once our failure to qualify this time round is confirmed.

I'm proud we have 2 players called up but I have to agree, this is an opportunity to bring through someone much younger than SW.

Firestarter
21-08-2017, 12:58 PM
People complaining 2 of our players are called up :confused:

davhibby
21-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Good to see Hibs player get international recognition but Whittaker shouldn't be there and tbh McGinn probably shouldn't either when McGregor isn't in the squad. What is also strange is why Strachan keps picking players that aren't anywhere near getting a game for their clubs, Hanley and Snodgrass haven't played a minute between them yet both get in the squad.

Mikey09
21-08-2017, 01:12 PM
I'm proud we have 2 players called up but I have to agree, this is an opportunity to bring through someone much younger than SW.

Who?

marinello59
21-08-2017, 01:21 PM

It's getting ****ing stupid here now. What ever happened to congratulating our players for getting called up? There's been plenty of other threads for the experts to explain why their particular target is crap, was there really any need to take this thread down that route as well?

Well done to both of them, having two Hibs players in the Scotland squad doesnt happen very often. Another sign that we are on the up.

Gmack7
21-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Strachan doesn't think we're out so is picking what he feels is his strongest squad

The_Exile
21-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Who?

David Gray :greengrin

LNHibs
21-08-2017, 01:27 PM
How McGregor isn't in the squad is an absolute shambles. Hes been absolutely brilliant for the last 6 months

Andy74
21-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Well done to both.

Velma Dinkley
21-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Are there not only 4 must-win games left in the qualifiers? Surely this would be the worst time to throw in a younger, inexperienced right back? Whittaker being included in the squad isn't a surprise. The fact he had been getting left out the squad when we had no other right backs was surprising.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2017, 01:37 PM
It's getting ****ing stupid here now. What ever happend to congratulating our players for getting called up? There's been plenty of other threads for the experts to explain why their particular target is crap, was there really any need to take this thread down that route as well?

Well done to both of them, having two Hibs players in the Scotland squad doesnt happen very often. Another sign that we are on the up.

Exactly this.

Green-Hibee-7
21-08-2017, 01:39 PM
I actually think Whittaker has been alright in our games tbh.

I think we are more of a threat with him in the team but SDG is better defensively.

You'd have to say although he doesn't play LB as much these days the boy at Aberdeen Shinnie must be disappointed.

Vault Boy
21-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Well done lads.

Northernhibee
21-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Well done to both :-)

They'll benefit from hooking up with their Jambo and Sevco big team counterparts.

Bostonhibby
21-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Well done guys. Great recognition for players and the club.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lucky
21-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Well done to both our boys. But again I can't see how anyone thinks Gray's a better player than Whittaker. Gray has never started a game in top league in any country

Brightside
21-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Correct. The squad is a joke. Forget results now and just build for the next tournament we can qualify for.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-08-2017, 02:06 PM
I said before and when we signed him he would not be my first choice RB. Defensively, SDG is first choice for me.

Since he's signed though I've seen him in 2 league games. Partick Thistle and Rangers. He scored against PT and looked excellent then was part of a fantastic team effort at Ibrox.

A poor game at the weekend and he's getting torn apart? With 4 must win qualifiers, Strachan will pick who he knows and trusts. Whitty has performed well enough at international level.

Delighted our lads have been called up, just don't get injured please!!

500miles
21-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Whittakers cross field passes have been a real weapon since the start of the cup. Didn't work against Hamilton though, because they were getting to everything first.

I think he's definitely shown that he has something to offer, particularly when we're getting space in behind teams.

Billy Whizz
21-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Well done lads

hibbysam
21-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Strachan would be nuts if he came to a press conference, announcing a load of 20-25 year olds, advising the reason for this is "We have no chance of qualifying, so I'm trying a few things out", when in reality we can still qualify. You don't write off your chances before they are mathematically done.

4 games left, still to play Slovakia at home, who in turn still have to play England. Maybe a tall order but far from impossible, and can understand why he has kept basically the same squad as played England.

flash
21-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Classy.

Keith_M
21-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Are they complaining.. or just questioning the wisdom of one of the call-ups?

I can understand the question marks over Whittaker but maybe Strachan doesn't think we've blown our qualification chances and genuinely sees him as a useful player in his squad.

neil7908
21-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Well done guys - now please don't pick up any injuries!

KWJ
21-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Great news! Didn't expect SJM to get back in let alone Whitty. Delighted they both are.

erin go bragh
21-08-2017, 03:58 PM
When' did we last have two players in the squad ?
We have six in total that have pulled on the famous green top .

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Big Dave and Slivka to line up for Lithuania too?

Firestarter
21-08-2017, 04:04 PM
It's getting ****ing stupid here now. What ever happened to congratulating our players for getting called up? There's been plenty of other threads for the experts to explain why their particular target is crap, was there really any need to take this thread down that route as well?

Yep, totally agree. Well done lads.

aljo7-0
21-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Well done lads

Indeed - this is all that really needs to be said about it - in my humble opinion.

JimBHibees
21-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Yep brilliant news both excellent players :flag:

Billy Whizz
21-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Big Dave and Slivka to line up for Lithuania too?

Hope they don't get injured either😄

Stokesy's on fire
21-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Whittaker is class defender we are lucky to have him. A well deserved call up for both of our players.

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Classy.

Cheers mate ..... I prefer 'honest' though.

PiemanP
21-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Whilst I don't think Whitty has shown enough for I ernational football, who else do we actually have in that position? Phil Bardsley is semi decent but has fallen out with Strachan I believe.

I think Tierney will play on the right with Robertson on the left so Whitty ain't likely to get a game anyways.

SirDavidsNapper
21-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Got to say I'm stunned Whittaker got called up. Delighted for him though and will give him a boost which is only good for us.

lord bunberry
21-08-2017, 09:03 PM

'This is a thread about 2 players being called up, I'm not sure where someone can disagree with a player being called up other than this thread.
Personally I'm delighted our players are receiving international recognition, we're going to have quite a few away this window, hopefully there's no injuries.

Wee Effen Bee
21-08-2017, 09:08 PM
I'm wondering if it is time to take a wee break from this site: the complete bed-wetting, over the top bollox posted at the weekend and now slagging off Hibs players who have made the Scotland squad. WTF! The abuse from some posters over the past few days has been a disgrace. Has Hibs.net been overrun by Jambos, or are people so emotionally unstable that they need to roast someone to make themselves seem important? Congratulations to the two lads. Terrible thing, envy.

Hibeewilly
21-08-2017, 09:30 PM
I agree regarding David Gray, I would move Whittaker to the LHS and give Stevenson a wee rest.
Extremely subtley put but I agree 100%. Lets see what Whittaker can do down that flank and hopefully stop teams targeting us down that side

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Extremely subtley put but I agree 100%. Lets see what Whittaker can do down that flank and hopefully stop teams targeting us down that side

Teams havent targeted us down Stevensons side for years, certainly wasnt our problem on Sat.

patlowe
22-08-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm wondering if it is time to take a wee break from this site: the complete bed-wetting, over the top bollox posted at the weekend and now slagging off Hibs players who have made the Scotland squad. WTF! The abuse from some posters over the past few days has been a disgrace. Has Hibs.net been overrun by Jambos, or are people so emotionally unstable that they need to roast someone to make themselves seem important? Congratulations to the two lads. Terrible thing, envy.

I didn't really read the forum over the weekend so can't comment on that aspect but I have to say I don't see much abuse on this thread and I think it's OK for people to be surprised Whittaker is in the squad.

I am delighted we have Whittaker and love the swashbuckling way he plays but I have to admit to being a bit taken aback at his inclusion. I feel defending is still a major weakness for him (as it always has been TBH) and given his age and absence from previous squads, I'd assumed his international career was over. However, Strachan obviously feels he brings something positive to the squad and is happy to go back to him now he is getting regular football again. Fair enough and congratulations to him for that.

McGinn is an interesting one - Saturday aside, he has lifted his game to new levels recently and I think he is by no means out of place in that squad. It's obvious that he's going to be a regular in the first 11 before too long so it makes sense to have him in there while he continues to develop. However, if I was McGregor or Shinnie I would be a bit dumbfounded by being continually overlooked - perhaps Snodgrass is one who should be looking over his shoulder at this stage.

Congratulations also to our Lithuanian internationals - how refreshing and unusual to have four Hibs players called up for the one international fixture!

pacoluna
22-08-2017, 08:41 PM
How McGregor isn't in the squad is an absolute shambles. Hes been absolutely brilliant for the last 6 months

Going by some posters on this I suppose he is to old.

pacoluna
22-08-2017, 08:54 PM

The old I gave up watching Scotland years ago because of..... Why do you give a **** if you "gave up years ago" pathetic though that your using a hibs player who has been selected to back up your supposed reason.

Iggy Pope
22-08-2017, 09:06 PM
We have an International break, **** we needed it last year and didn't get one.
We've got this tiresome problem of a squad packed with internationals.
When does this misery cease?

truehibernian
22-08-2017, 09:15 PM
I think it's tremendous we have four players in full squads, and especially for Whittaker it's a perfect boost. There's a couple of times he has 'switched off' in the 3 league games, but there have been times where his passing and awareness have been excellent. Until last weekend, SJM looked reinvigorated and played like a man possessed in a good way. Any international recognition is fantastic for the club as a whole. Well done to Vicky and Davy too :aok: