PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker for Scotland?

neil7908
21-08-2017, 08:09 AM
On my phone so can't post the link but this mornings BBC gossip has a bit (from the Daily Star admittedly) saying Whittaker is in contention for a recall to the Scotland squad.

If we're looking for a versatile player who can play both fullback roles and midfield, gets forward and has bags of experience I think we could do worse.

SRHibs
21-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Not that I think he's done too bad, but he's not really shown anything deserving of a place in the Scotland squad, IMO.

Brightside
21-08-2017, 08:30 AM
He's done nothing to suggest that should happen.

hibbysam
21-08-2017, 08:34 AM

You could say the same about nearly every defensive player that will be named in the squad.

Ozyhibby
21-08-2017, 08:40 AM
I watched Hamiltons third goal again last night. It's a good goal but it all come from the amount of space they have on our right hand side. Whittaker has a chance to track the runner but decides not to. In the end he just jogs back to no effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB62
21-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Not that I think he's done too bad, but he's not really shown anything deserving of a place in the Scotland squad, IMO.

After Saturday's performance, he's not deserving of a game for us, certainly not before SDG anyway.

neil7908
21-08-2017, 08:52 AM
I was surprised to see him linked and don't think he'll actually get back in but equally we're pretty short at right back.

There's guys like Mulgrew and Berra in the last squad who I think he's as good as, if not better.

Since90+2
21-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Think people are being a bit harsh on Whittaker here. He never played particularly well but you can say the same about practically the whole team. Hanlon and McGregor both made unforced errors that directly cost us goals so its unfair to single Whittaker out.

SRHibs
21-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Think people are being a bit harsh on Whittaker here. He never played particularly well but you can say the same about practically the whole team. Hanlon and McGregor both made unforced errors that directly cost us goals so its unfair to single Whittaker out.

Whittaker would be a liability against decent teams - if played as a fullback anyway. Windass tore him a new one.

neil7908
21-08-2017, 09:10 AM

I agree with this completely. Ambrose and Whittaker seem to be getting the most stick out of the defence but I don't see why given that McGregor and Hanlon were at fault for the first two goals.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the best fullback in the world but I think he's been good in the games I've seen him.

neil7908
21-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I watched Hamiltons third goal again last night. It's a good goal but it all come from the amount of space they have on our right hand side. Whittaker has a chance to track the runner but decides not to. In the end he just jogs back to no effect.

I'll need to watch the 3rd goal again but by that point we were 2 nil down and pushing men forward to try and get a goal back. We would never have lost that goal if it had still been 0-0. When you chase the game like we did it's inevitable gaps will be left at the back.

Ozyhibby
21-08-2017, 09:28 AM
I'll need to watch the 3rd goal again but by that point we were 2 nil down and pushing men forward to try and get a goal back. We would never have lost that goal if it had still been 0-0. When you chase the game like we did it's inevitable gaps will be left at the back.

Watch it again. It's totally preventable. Whittaker is in a position where he could act but doesn't.
Ambrose had a tough game on sat as well but most of the time when he got caught was when he was in a wide area where he is not comfortable. In the middle he is fine but out wide he gets trapped by the pressing player.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 09:40 AM

If that goal was scored by Hibs or Brazil we would be drooling over what a great goal it was.

There comes a time where you just have to hold your hands up and applaud a good goal.

it came at a point in the game where we were throwing everything forward to get a goal back, you're always going to be vulnerable on the break.

Whittaker will more than prove his worth to the team over a season.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 09:41 AM

If that goal was scored by Hibs or Brazil we would be drooling over what a great goal it was.

There comes a time where you just have to hold your hands up and applaud a good goal.

it came at a point in the game where we were throwing everything forward to get a goal back, you're always going to be vulnerable on the break.

Whittaker will more than prove his worth to the team over the season.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 09:43 AM

But you think Hanlon has :faf::faf:

frazeHFC
21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
But you think Hanlon has :faf::faf:

Hanlon had 1 awful game at the weekend, but it was rare for him as he has been Mr. Reliable for years. Got full faith that he'll be back to his best this weekend.

Ozyhibby
21-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Watch it again. It's totally preventable. Whittaker is in a position where he could act but doesn't.
Ambrose had a tough game on sat as well but most of the time when he got caught was when he was in a wide area where he is not comfortable. In the middle he is fine but out wide he gets trapped by the pressing player.

Leith's finest
21-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Hanlon had 1 awful game at the weekend, but it was rare for him as he has been Mr. Reliable for years. Got full faith that he'll be back to his best this weekend.

Said it a few times, when Hanlon is not in team we are poor in defence without him, when out long term we got relagated when he was out

MB62
21-08-2017, 10:03 AM

I wasn't trying to single out Whittaker, only that the thread was about the man. You are 100% correct about the whole team on Saturday (keeper apart).
After a great start to the season, we were brought back down to earth with a huge thump. There are things that concern me about that particular line-up, Ambrose at centre half is my main one (think he could be a revelation in the 'Bartley' role, but NOT central defence).

The_Horde
21-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Whittaker would be a liability against decent teams - if played as a fullback anyway. Windass tore him a new one.

Whitty was left exposed in a 1v1. Nae help from his midfield on that occasion.

Ozyhibby
21-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Whitty was left exposed in a 1v1. Nae help from his midfield on that occasion.

Watch Rangers 2nd goal from last week. He would not have needed help from midfield to run 5 yards and put a little bit of pressure on the crosser. Instead he just watched while he lined up an inch perfect cross.

MB62
21-08-2017, 10:55 AM

I wasn't trying to single out Whittaker, only that the thread was about the man. You are 100% correct about the whole team on Saturday (keeper apart).
After a great start to the season, we were brought back down to earth with a huge thump. There are things that concern me about that particular line-up, Ambrose at centre half is my main one (think he could be a revelation in the 'Bartley' role, but NOT central defence).

Smartie
21-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Looks like he's made the initial squad.

Good motivation for him to kick on and perform in the next few games.

SeanWilson
21-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Looks like he's made the initial squad.

Good motivation for him to kick on and perform in the next few games.

Along with McGregor and McGinn?

Edit: the Hun McGregor not our very own 😏

H18 SFR
21-08-2017, 11:44 AM
No where near the standard for the national squad let alone team.

Smartie
21-08-2017, 11:58 AM
No where near the standard for the national squad let alone team.

And who is better?

RB is a problem position for Scotland although Tierney has done well there.

There's not exactly a plethora of excellent options out there.

If David Gray were to get into our first team and play as consistently in the Premier League as he has for us in the Championship then he wouldn't be far away.....

Just remember how good he was in Copenhagen.

GlesgaeHibby
21-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Whitty and John McGinn both been called up.

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Is that two players more than Rangers managed then?

The_Horde
21-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Whittaker is one of our best players and will cope fine internationally. Class player.

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2017, 12:06 PM

It was very noticeable from the highlights of Hamilton's third goal, Whittaker should have been busting a gut to get back into position and he didn't, the same happened against Partick Thistle and I remarked on it at the time. I'm prepared to say that he still needs to get up to speed fitness wise, but if that isn't the case and this is all he has left to give then he will be lucky to stay in the Hibs team, never mind play for Scotland.

He has been a good pro at a number of clubs, so I don't think for a second its coz he cant be bothered any more .... if I thought that was the case I wouldn't want him at Hibs at all, never mind our first team.

Brightside
21-08-2017, 12:15 PM
And who is better?

RB is a problem position for Scotland although Tierney has done well there.

There's not exactly a plethora of excellent options out there.

If David Gray were to get into our first team and play as consistently in the Premier League as he has for us in the Championship then he wouldn't be far away.....

Just remember how good he was in Copenhagen.

Based on the CHs he has picked again there is every chance he might play him in there. :greengrin

frazeHFC
21-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Barry Bannan still getting picked is woeful. Callum McGreggor is far more deserving of a place in the squad. Strike force is really poor again, would like to see Jamie Murphy ahead of Martin, Fletcher and Naismith.

SteveHFC
21-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Barry Bannan still getting picked is woeful. Callum McGreggor is far more deserving of a place in the squad. Strike force is really poor again, would like to see Jamie Murphy ahead of Martin, Fletcher and Naismith.

Unreal he's been left out again.

Haymaker
21-08-2017, 11:18 PM

:agree:

snooky
21-08-2017, 11:43 PM

Darn disgrace :agree: