PDA

View Full Version : Interesting and honest words from Neil Lennon

emerald green
20-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Especially the bit about complacency among (some?) of the Hibs players. Link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40988712

B.H.F.C
20-08-2017, 02:01 PM
The fact that he had a 'wee felling' something like that might happen, but still allowed it to happen, doesn't reflect particularly well IMO. I thought Lennon would rid us of that type of thing.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 02:07 PM
The fact that he had a 'wee felling' something like that might happen, but still allowed it to happen, doesn't reflect particularly well IMO. I thought Lennon would rid us of that type of thing.

It's a sign of a good manager that he is open and honest enough to say he'll learn from that.

Heisenberg
20-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Did Lennon miss any of the training when he was doing TV work during the week?

Keith_M
20-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Is it possible some people's thoughts were still on Ibrox and not on the upcoming home game?

ancient hibee
20-08-2017, 02:09 PM
The main failures of this team last season was when they couldn't deal with the expectation of winning.Hopefully this will improve this season after displaying the same fault yesterday.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 02:13 PM

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Perhaps that the players weren't working hard in training the minute Lennon's back was turned? If so, that's ludicrous. Neil does have assistants.

If I've misinterpreted your post, apologies in advance.

JimboHibs
20-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Yip jumpers for goal posts,Tam McCourt took the training.

lord bunberry
20-08-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Perhaps that the players weren't working hard in training the minute Lennon's back was turned? If so, that's ludicrous. Neil does have assistants.

I don't think that's is what he's suggesting. I think he's suggesting that maybe if Lennon had been here instead of being in Ireland there might have been more he could've done. I've no idea how true that is as I've no idea how long he was over in Ireland for.

dp00
20-08-2017, 02:44 PM
If Lennon missed training due to being in Ireland for media work then leeann needs to have a word . His focus should be 100% hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
20-08-2017, 02:45 PM
I don't think that's is what he's suggesting. I think he's suggesting that maybe if Lennon had been here instead of being in Ireland there might have been more he could've done. I've no idea how true that is as I've no idea how long he was over in Ireland for.

You might be right. Heisenberg will maybe come back on and clear things up?

B.H.F.C
20-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Easy to talk about it. Sorting it would be the sign of a good manager though. It's not as if it's something new, he spoke about this type of thing last year as well.

I'm a fan of Lennon and thought, with the additions he's made, he'd have got rid of that type of performance. We won't always play well, I get that. But the attitude and application yesterday was a joke.

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 02:53 PM
If Lennon missed training due to being in Ireland for media work then leeann needs to have a word . His focus should be 100% hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk managers miss training aw the time mate they aren't there 5 days a week.

Heisenberg
20-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Yes that's what I was aiming at. As you say though, no idea how long he was there for. He himself did say he wasn't his usual self with the players and wasn't "on" them as much as he usually is during the week.

matty_f
20-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could easily have been in Ireland after training and back for training the next day. Not sure if that's the case but it's possible to do both.

Pete
20-08-2017, 03:07 PM
I heard another interview where he say he "hasn't been himself"...and he isn't as angry as I'd expect him to be.

A bout of depression perhaps? :dunno:

hibee_girl
20-08-2017, 03:09 PM
He was Salmond's mystery guest today at the Fringe

https://twitter.com/AlexUnleashed17/status/899255611266879488

emerald green
20-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Yes that's what I was aiming at. As you say though, no idea how long he was there for. He himself did say he wasn't his usual self with the players and wasn't "on" them as much as he usually is during the week.

OK thanks for your clarification.

I maintain though that even if NL did miss some training, that in itself should never result in an overall team performance like yesterday surely?

As another poster has pointed out, it's not entirely unusual for head coaches to miss some training sessions.

Johnny Clash
20-08-2017, 03:30 PM
I heard another interview where he say he "hasn't been himself"...and he isn't as angry as I'd expect him to be.

Having wallopers threaten your life must be pretty hard to deal with. Puts a strain on family stuff too. I'm sure the support he gets allows Lenny to deal with issues better however he showed plenty of passion during the game - at one stage throwing his water bottle down in frustration. Having said that he also had the maturity to congratulate Hamilton on the way they executed their third goal. Martin Canning's team did very well and they'll take points off a few other teams before the season is out.

20-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Thought his post-match interview was pretty fair. Made no excuses, rightly acknowledged we were well below par and gave Hamilton their due credit. I like how he doesn't sugarcoat things and make excuses, doing that does nobody any favours and it ends up becoming cringeworthy. The likes of Houston have become notorious and become figures of ridicule with there post-defeat interviews never crediting the opposition and constantly coming out with excuses and someone else to blame. We laugh at it but if I was a Falkirk fan I would be cringing at having to listen to that all the time.

20-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Was thinking the same actually. Hopefully not but if thats the case then i'm sure the club will offer him any support he needs.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Possibly. I'd imagine the build up, the game itself and all of what happened post game last week would wilt even the mentally strongest of people.

As has been said I'm sure the club are offering the best of care, IF anything has flared

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2017, 03:57 PM
I love Neil Lennon's honesty and telling it how it is. This man is a born winner and he will have us fighting for 2nd spot as the season progresses.
We have a superb squad, possibly the strongest since The Tornadoes.
I do recall The Tornadoes having their off days too, not often, but enough to inform me that no matter how good your team is on paper, getting the basics right such as winning individual battles is crucial.
Hamilton won practically every individual battle in that 2nd half and this will not happen too often this season.
A harsh lesson and a good one to boot.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 10:00 AM
I love Neil Lennon's honesty and telling it how it is. This man is a born winner and he will have us fighting for 2nd spot as the season progresses.
I do recall The Tornadoes having their off days too, not often, but enough to inform me that no matter how good your team is on paper, getting the basics right such as winning individual battles is crucial.
Hamilton won practically every individual battle in that 2nd half and this will not happen too often this season.
A harsh lesson and a good one to boot.

I wish I had a pound for every time I've seen the Lennon is a winner hype.

He got the team selection badly wrong on Saturday and should have come out and said so.

He rightly got the plaudits for the win at Ibrox he should take the flak for that shambles on Saturday.

euro Hibby
21-08-2017, 10:26 AM
He could have least said that " we were great in training " or maybe that will be this week ....

hughio
21-08-2017, 11:05 AM

He got the team selection badly wrong on Saturday and should have come out and said so.

He rightly got the plaudits for the win at Ibrox he should take the flak for that shambles on Saturday.

What should have been the team then?

Isnt it easy to be wise after the event?

I thought it looked fine on paper.
They just didn't perform.

Albanian Hibs
21-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Slivka should have started.

SaulGoodman
21-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Agreed but dropping one player doesn't make the team selection appear badly wrong.

The players weren't interested, looks like they let the hype get to their head and thought that all they had to do was show up and collect the 3 points. I've seen us play bad and lose but that was the least effort I've seen out of a Hibs team since we got relegated.

It should be Lennons job to keep the players grounded and him being sucked in by the media and talking about Rangers all week even up to the Friday before the game instead of showing Hamilton respect and talking about them certainly wouldn't have helped.

Borderhibbie76
21-08-2017, 11:22 AM
A harsh lesson and a good one to boot.Whilst not excusing the performance on Sat...it was woeful, we as fans also.need to educate ourselves and realise after 3 years in the Championship that results like Sat will happen from time to time in this league (hopefully not frequent). We've been used to winning most weeks for 3 years now but need to realise yes the squad is strong but we aren't Celtic and we won't go the season unbeaten. I find the over reaction on here from some to sat as way OTT and we need to deal with defeats and put them in perspective. A top 4 finish would be a tremendous achievement after 3 years downstairs...im sure we will fight for that too but there will be bumps in the road along the way...as a fan base we need to deal with that as well as the squad and the manager

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SaulGoodman
21-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Whilst not excusing the performance on Sat...it was woeful, we as fans also.need to educate ourselves and realise after 3 years in the Championship that results like Sat will happen from time to time in this league (hopefully not frequent). We've been used to winning most weeks for 3 years now but need to realise yes the squad is strong but we aren't Celtic and we won't go the season unbeaten. I find the over reaction on here from some to sat as way OTT and we need to deal with defeats and put them in perspective. A top 4 finish would be a tremendous achievement after 3 years downstairs...im sure we will fight for that too but there will be bumps in the road along the way...as a fan base we need to deal with that as well as the squad and the manager

Like I said above, I can deal with defeats. I can't deal with bending over and letting ****ing Hamilton with their 200 fans away support play us off the park at our own stadium.

Borderhibbie76
21-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Like I said above, I can deal with defeats. I can't deal with bending over and letting ****ing Hamilton with their 200 fans away support play us off the park at our own stadium.What does their number of fans have to do with anything?? As I said we were woeful and got what we deserved but their number of fans has nowt to do with anything...we got spanked off alloa and Dumbarton several times in Championship in case u have forgotten and they didn't have many fans either...

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 12:01 PM

I personally don't think we should EVER be playing with 3 CH's at home against the likes of Hamilton who are only ever going to have 1 up front.

If you're asking for the team I'd have picked I'd have went for

Rocky
Whittaker
Stevenson
Ambrose
McGregor
McGeough
McGnn
Slivka
Swanson
Murray
Stokes

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Team selection badly wrong? He made one change to the prior weeks team..

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2017, 12:15 PM
I personally don't think we should EVER be playing with 3 CH's at home against the likes of Hamilton who are only ever going to have 1 up front.

Rocky
Whittaker
Stevenson
Ambrose
McGregor
McGeough
McGnn
Slivka
Swanson
Murray
Stokes

So you would have played Slivjka and dropped Hanlon, again one change from the team that started on Saturday....

Sioux
21-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Would that have turned a defeat into a win?

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 12:18 PM
So you would have played Slivjka and dropped Hanlon, again one change from the team that started on Saturday....

Were you happy with starting with 3 CH's against Hamilton at home?

We were playing a 'different animal' the previous week, and that's a direct quote from Lenny himself.

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Rocky
Whittaker
Stevenson
Ambrose
McGregor
McGeough
McGnn
Slivka
Swanson
Murray
Stokes

3 central defenders works better against 1 striker than 2. Part of the reason it is becoming globally popular is because everyone plays 1 forward now with 2/3 attacking midfielders/wingers in behind. It allows the wider center backs to step into midfield and pass the ball without any pressure on them. The problems come when teams push really high up and shut the defenders down like Hamilton did. Hamilton played well and our players didn't, it was nothing to do with the formation. Didn't we just score 6 against Arbraoth and 5 against Ayr playing with 3 defenders?

I really don't know how many times we need to win well and score goals for people to understand that 3 central defenders isn't more defensive than a back 4. It isn't the 90s anymore, 4-4-2 every week isn't going to work.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 12:30 PM
3 central defenders works better against 1 striker than 2. Part of the reason it is becoming globally popular is because everyone plays 1 forward now with 2/3 attacking midfielders/wingers in behind. It allows the wider center backs to step into midfield and pass the ball without any pressure on them. The problems come when teams push really high up and shut the defenders down like Hamilton did. Hamilton played well and our players didn't, it was nothing to do with the formation. Didn't we just score 6 against Arbraoth and 5 against Ayr playing with 3 defenders?

I really don't know how many times we need to win well and score goals for people to understand that 3 central defenders isn't more defensive than a back 4. It isn't the 90s anymore, 4-4-2 every week isn't going to work.

Well 352 didn't work that's for sure. I'm no coaching genius but playing 5 defenders as opposed to 4 at home is not for me.

Hamilton won't get an easier away game all season and that's shameful on our part.

MWHIBBIES
21-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Well 352 didn't work that's for sure. I'm no coaching genius but playing 5 defenders as opposed to 4 at home is not for me.

Hamilton won't get an easier away game all season and that's shameful on our part.

Did the players all do what they were told and play the formation as Lennon wanted?
Maybe it was the execution that was wrong, not the idea?
Hibs played *****, it doesn't matter if you are playing 352, 442, 451, 4231 whatever, if you play poorly and the other team plays well, you will lose.

It isn't shameful, it is disappointing but we will learn more from that 2nd half than we have from all our victories so far. Shameful would be not learning from it.

Springbank
21-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Rocky
Whittaker
Stevenson
Ambrose
McGregor
McGeough
McGnn
Slivka
Swanson
Murray
Stokes

People saying "this is just one change from the actual team" miss the point about square pegs and round holes as it's the,shape change that counted.

Yes it's 1 personnel change but it would give us width. Stevenson is not cut out to be a wing back, hes a full back. We had precious little width and even when Barker came on he,was initially put in the no 10 position.

Green-Hibee-7
21-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Like I said above, I can deal with defeats. I can't deal with bending over and letting ****ing Hamilton with their 200 fans away support play us off the park at our own stadium.

This.

Was the manner in the defeat more than anything. Formation wrong - yes. Players wrong - yes. But you would still expect with all thouse out there the performance could have been better than that. Woeful from minute one and just didn't feel right from the off.

Is It On....
21-08-2017, 02:21 PM

I actually don't think it's right that a part time job can get in the way of the primary full time role (just like surgeons doing lucrative private work in addition to their NHS role). I suspect it is part of the contract negotiated by NL so I can't complain but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

RIP
21-08-2017, 03:58 PM
It's the players job to perform to the best of their ability. So when normally reliable players like Hanlon mess up they have to shoulder the blame.

However if the team don't have the right formation, fighting spirit and mentality that's down to the manager.

Albanian Hibs
21-08-2017, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Sioux;5149433]Would that have turned a defeat into a

Who knows???

highland hibbee
21-08-2017, 06:04 PM

The same Hamilton who relegated us and kept their place in the top League fir the three seasons we were down.?
it annoys me too but unfortunately a wee reality check was bound to happen

Baldy Foghorn
21-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Were you happy with starting with 3 CH's against Hamilton at home?

We were playing a 'different animal' the previous week, and that's a direct quote from Lenny himself.

I'd have been happy had we not played like novices

CentreLine
22-08-2017, 07:29 AM
I just love the debates generated from people playing a computer game. Everyone seems to be an expert in formations and tactics these days.
Just one cautionary comment: It didn't work for Cathro. What looks pretty on a computer screen just might not work in real life.
Until computer games catch up with reality then I personally will be happy to see a genuine human being such as NL in charge of team selection.

GGTTH

Mantis Toboggan
22-08-2017, 11:24 AM
I just love the debates generated from people playing a computer game. Everyone seems to be an expert in formations and tactics these days.
Just one cautionary comment: It didn't work for Cathro. What looks pretty on a computer screen just might not work in real life.
Until computer games catch up with reality then I personally will be happy to see a genuine human being such as NL in charge of team selection.

GGTTH

It's got nothing to do with computer games whatsoever.
And it is perfectly fair for supporters to challenge the tactics and approach of the team.

steakbake
22-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I'd have been happy had we not played like novices

We looked like a team of strangers playing with hangovers.

Have 100% faith that Lennon will be on to it.

MWHIBBIES
22-08-2017, 11:56 AM
It's got nothing to do with computer games whatsoever.
And it is perfectly fair for supporters to challenge the tactics and approach of the team.

Indeed, tactics existed before computers, nothing wrong with seeing the game as more than 22 guys and a ball.

ekhibee
22-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Did the players all do what they were told and play the formation as Lennon wanted?
Maybe it was the execution that was wrong, not the idea?
Hibs played *****, it doesn't matter if you are playing 352, 442, 451, 4231 whatever, if you play poorly and the other team plays well, you will lose.

It isn't shameful, it is disappointing but we will learn more from that 2nd half than we have from all our victories so far. Shameful would be not learning from it.
Totally agree. We're only just starting out in the top league again, and we should learn from any losses along the way. I still have a minor doubt about us breaking down teams that play a defensive and counterattacking game such as Ross county, but there's still plenty of time to learn from that. The 2 teams we played before Hamilton are both basically more attack-minded and at times leave themselves open, which we exploited.

pacoluna
22-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Mr negative is back... Long time. Then again everything has been positive up until sat.

heretoday
22-08-2017, 04:22 PM
It was a blip. Nothing more.

bigwheel
22-08-2017, 04:50 PM
It was a blip. Nothing more.

Hope so - with 4 away games out of the next 5 league games - we will be tested that is for sure ...

emerald green
22-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Hope so - with 4 away games out of the next 5 league games - we will be tested that is for sure ...

:agree: That includes a trip to Celtic Park. This is one of the reasons the defeat at home to Hamilton was so disappointing.

Hibs really need to take something from their home matches. If we're not going to win we must make sure we don't lose.

22-08-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm not too concerned about 4 out of 5 games being away. Last season we got 36 points away and 35 at home. Based on the last 2 matches I can easily see us having a similar ratio this season.

Greenworld
23-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Hope so - with 4 away games out of the next 5 league games - we will be tested that is for sure ...Ironically I think that hibs will play better away from home when teams won't sit in as much

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk