PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to shake off a Hibs defeat?

G B Young
20-08-2017, 10:25 AM
For me it's actually defeats like yesterday's which tend to niggle away rather than bigger games which can go either way.

matty_f
20-08-2017, 10:36 AM
I got over yesterday's pretty quickly. We've been great for a while imho, and the general mod about the club is good. I wouldn't want to see too many performances like yesterday but because it's a one-off and not the norm then I'm not dwelling on it.

neil7908
20-08-2017, 10:43 AM
For me it's actually defeats like yesterday's which tend to niggle away rather than bigger games which can go either way.

I'm the same as you, niggle is definitely the word I'd use. Feeling a bit better this morning but was grumpy all yesterday! I think I went into the game with pretty high hopes so losing, especially in the manner we did, was a bit disappointing.

Its only one game though and I have no doubt this will be a good year for us.

FilipinoHibs
20-08-2017, 10:45 AM
I got over yesterday's pretty quickly. We've been great for a while imho, and the general mod about the club is good. I wouldn't want to see too many performances like yesterday but because it's a one-off and not the norm then I'm not dwelling on it.

Things have been great for a ling time. We have not out a foot wrong and luck on our side. Yesterday was inevitable. A wake up call and shows mistakes are punished at this level. The worst bit is coming on here and seeing all the moaning posts. Sometimes a miss a few days until the moaning is done so as not to get too depressed.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 10:48 AM
I'm still recovering from the home game against St.Johnstine in September 1974 when Jimmy O'Rourke scored the only goal of the game on his return to Easter Road.

:boo hoo:

erin go bragh
20-08-2017, 10:48 AM
longer when it's against them but it's been that long since they beat us ( 3 years)
I'm over yesterday's result already . Hopefully we can bounce back with a win next week .

Hibernia&Alba
20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
For me it depends upon the context of the match. Losing an important game or a derby takes longer to recover from than most defeats; some defeats in the Championship against tiny clubs were very annoying. I try to stay philosophical: ultimately it's only a game of football; but sometimes the emotions take a while to cool. Yesterday's defeat didn't particularly upset me: the better team won on the day, and it isn't as if Hibs never experience this kind of thing.

Eyrie
20-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Generally within a couple of hours, because by that point my mind will have moved on to something other than football. There are occasions when the circumstances of a poor performance or result will niggle at me for longer.

Either way, I come on here and have a relapse until I'm finished on .net!

Stuart93
20-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Probably until we play again

Liberal Hibby
20-08-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm still recovering from the home game against St.Johnstine in September 1974 when Jimmy O'Rourke scored the only goal of the game on his return to Easter Road.

I still haven't got over our league cup exit to Meadowbank under Sloop.

Albanian Hibs
20-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Usually the monday or tuesday after the defeat

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2017, 11:16 AM
It took me 3 weeks to get over the 3-1 defeat by Celtc (iirc day after Hillsborough) my first Semi Final. Archiegoal scored the consolation. Can't remember how long after THAT Final versus THEM literally went to bed after getting back and scoffing a curry.

Its got better with age and experience but more so since I had kids - keeps things into a bit of perspective but usually a dark cloud hangs over the weekend so I hate Friday night losses :(

Bostonhibby
20-08-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm over it, on the basis that we shouldn't get a combination of a questionable formation and complacent attitude too often under lennon. Onwards and upwards

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Was raging in the car coming hame yisterday but after watching Lennons interview on hibs tv I'm over it. His mentality is a breath of fresh air unlike in past years when these results were the norm I genuinely believe this will be a one off.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Looking forward to putting it right next week, it will bother me until then

lyonhibs
20-08-2017, 11:27 AM
The days of a Hibs defeat ruining my weekend are long gone. Usually over any defeat in a matter of hours.

What I'm far more interested in is the performance and result next week

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I still haven't got over our league cup exit to Meadowbank under Sloop.

Diddy cup. Didn't bother me. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2017, 11:31 AM
It usually wears off by Sunday ..... yesterday was a sore one because of the context, we got a great result at Ibrox and it always feels like we have thrown all the good work away when we follow a great result by throwing away 3 points in what on paper should be a winnable game.

I tend to avoid Hibs.Net until the Sunday so that I can post more objectively after a performance like that ..... It was a bloody shambles, but that's why I can shrug it off as an aberration .... we surely cant put in such a bad performance again .... at least I bloody hope we cant :greengrin

Steve20
20-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Until kick off next week.

euro Hibby
20-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Depends.......I had got used to winning so this defeat will weigh heavy into Sunday evening .

Sir David Gray
20-08-2017, 12:24 PM
The hangover of defeats to Hearts last several days, although they haven't happened for such a long time that I've forgotten what they really feel like.

My bad mood from every other defeat lasts a day or two.

Yesterday's defeat will stay with me until Friday when I'll start to look forward to playing Dundee.

connerg
20-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Was raging in the car coming hame yisterday but after watching Lennons interview on hibs tv I'm over it. His mentality is a breath of fresh air unlike in past years when these results were the norm I genuinely believe this will be a one off.

I know. You nearly ran me over! :duck:

iwasthere1972
20-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Used to spoil my whole weekend and beyond but nowadays I can usually be over it by the time I'm boarding my bus home. It also helps to stay off Hibs.net for at least twenty four hours while the bed wetters are getting things off their chest.

Bring on Dundee. :aok:

20-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Depends on the importance of the game and who we are playing. Never like losing to anybody but it does hurt more when its against the likes of Hearts. However, performances like yesterday against a team we are expected to win against is very disappointing. No disrespect to Hamilton because as I mentioned on the other thread, I thought they were good yesterday and fully deserved their win but expected a lot better from hibs.

Monday morning I expect their will be a full analysis with the players and we'll look at what went wrong but theres no point dwelling on it, whats done is done, we just have to focus on recovering and getting back to winning ways. As i've said before, if something positive is to come from this I hope its that this acts as a massive wake up call. Hopefully this is just a blip.

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 01:36 PM
I know. You nearly ran me over! :duck:
😂😂 a only run over yams ma man.

therealgavmac
20-08-2017, 01:42 PM

This

connerg
20-08-2017, 02:07 PM
😂😂 a only run over yams ma man.

:aok:

jdships
20-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Like it or not at 85 there now are more important things in life than a football result :greengrin
Seen the day i wouldn't have been worth living with after a reult like that
I have at last grown up and see things for what they really are :aok:

:flag:

RIP
20-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Like it or not at 85 there now are more important things in life than a football result :greengrin

I've brought my kids up to forget the result as soon as they leave the ground. Just as my dad did before me.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference

Galahibby
20-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Used to spoil my whole weekend and beyond but nowadays I can usually be over it by the time I'm boarding my bus home. It also helps to stay off Hibs.net for at least twenty four hours while the bed wetters are getting things off their chest.

Bring on Dundee. :aok:

Same here. I've seen the day where my whole weekend would've been ruined by a defeat but, as I've got older and dealt with various "challenges" in life, football has been well and truly put into perspective. I love Hibs - always have, always will - but by the time I left ER yesterday, my main concern was whether I was going to make it to Waverley in 20 minutes to save me having to wait ages for the next train home.

A good result can still have me on cloud 9 for days, weeks or years (21/5/16 will forever give me goosebumps), but there are worse things happening in the world right now than my football team having an off day so I tend not to dwell on it.

Onwards and upwards. GGTTH :flag:

huggie1875
20-08-2017, 03:29 PM
i measure it in pints not days :wink:

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Ditto.
I actually walked home not as disappointed as I have felt after other defeats.
I think it is the fact that we have had a great start to the season and, without question, still have a squad capable of genuinely competing for 2nd spot.
Neil Lennon is a winner and he will bring out the best in the talent at his disposal more often than not.
A bad day at the office is what we witnessed - nothing more, nothing less.

My_Wife_Camille
20-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Defeats don't get me as down as they did pre 21-05-16 and wins don't give me the same high as they did either

Hibbycol
20-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Diddy cup. Didn't bother me. :greengrinI'll diddy cup YE, you'll get a boot in the nads [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

heretoday
20-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Not long. I'm used to it and there are more weighty things to worry about.

G B Young
20-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Defeats don't get me as down as they did pre 21-05-16 and wins don't give me the same high as they did either

Certainly agree with that. If for some reason that had been the last game Hibs ever played I could have lived with that. It was milestone moment that will never be eclipsed. I'll always love the club but nothing will ever 'matter' quite so much.

Bishop Hibee
20-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Doesn't get to me like when I was younger and going home and away. Yesterday was annoying but typical Hibs. I looked up the 1999/00 season, our first after promotion and there are some shocking results. We beat Hearts at home 3-1 on the Saturday then lost 1-2 at home to Dundee, a Willie Falconer double, on the Tuesday. I'm already looking forward to Sunday's game v Dundee and a win to send us back up the table :flag:

O'Rourke3
20-08-2017, 08:01 PM
By the time I've got to my car.

jabis
20-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Certainly agree with that. If for some reason that had been the last game Hibs ever played I could have lived with that. It was milestone moment that will never be eclipsed. I'll always love the club but nothing will ever 'matter' quite so much.

Dear God.......

Mick O'Rourke
20-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Walking up to London Road for my bus home ( i gave the pub a miss) it just appeared to be a disbelief among the supporters on what we had witnessed
Many i expect,(after the two previous results) myself included, did think we would win "comfortably"
I suppose, if we do well at Dundee next week :hmmm:

I took me till May 2016 to get over the 1979 Cup Final

scm70nyd1973
21-08-2017, 12:12 AM

Not a defeat but same horrible pit of the stomach feeling and still not over it yet - coz what could've been - well maybe a wee bit. It was the East Fife game for me when Onion broke his leg or should I say when that feching thug went out to break it for him - was v young at the time but have in mind a dull 0-0 or mibbies a one niller result and it being a very grey day with a really poor crowd. Only other daft thing I can recall (strange what you can remember) was that my old man parked near to where the Meadowbank stadium was or was to be (we always went to the North Stand)and I thought it was a bit odd and was hacked off even more at the walk😡

Forza Fred
21-08-2017, 09:20 AM

As the saying goes, ...Growing UP is optional, Growing OLD is mandatory !

At 66 I'm still a bairn.

Defeats are a bit different out here where it's a midnight kick off. It was 3am before I'd finished a few facebook posts and got to my kip.

0930 hrs on Sunday it was up with a fitba hangover, and after a short while, the missus said..."You can tell you got beat, you are not jumping about like last week"

Pretty crap Sunday, but it's Monday evening now and I am back to looking forward to our resurgence and inevitable march to footballing glory on Sunday coming against Dundee.

To be honest..and yes maybe I should get a life..but Hibs results DO shape the way I feel for the next few days.

Might be different when I grow up, granted.

SRHibs
21-08-2017, 09:21 AM
It's a bit more galling nowadays due to the length of time and cost of the round trip. Can't win 'em all though.

Mick O'Rourke
21-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Not a defeat but same horrible pit of the stomach feeling and still not over it yet - coz what could've been - well maybe a wee bit. It was the East Fife game for me when Onion broke his leg or should I say when that feching thug went out to break it for him - was v young at the time but have in mind a dull 0-0 or mibbies a one niller result and it being a very grey day with a really poor crowd. Only other daft thing I can recall (strange what you can remember) was that my old man parked near to where the Meadowbank stadium was or was to be (we always went to the North Stand)and I thought it was a bit odd and was hacked off even more at the walk��

The Onion
Great article on the following link

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/john-onion-brownlie-on-injury-nicknames-hibs-1-3281456

Comments below the article are worth a read also, particularly the one from "doontheslope" :wink:
The article also refers to leg breaks being heard on the terracing.

When John Hughes of Celtic (not our Yogi) broke Bobby Duncan's leg, its said you could hear the break from the fit of Easter Road
That was a truly awful tackle .
Many would say Bobby was never the same.
A wonderful full back.

The player who broke Brownlie's leg stayed down the road from us in Clermiston.
From a good Hibernian family,too.
I didnt speak to him for a long time.

Smartie
21-08-2017, 09:36 AM
I was over it before the end of the game on Saturday.

It was clear long before that that we were getting nothing from the game.

The penalty stung a bit but we were beaten from the point we lost the second goal.

Within the context of everything that Hibs have done right of late, I was able very quickly to move on and accept that the odd out-of-chracter poor performance and defeat will happen along the way.

Cup games hurt a bit more as you are knocked out when you lose them. Derby defeats take a lot of getting over (just ask the Jambos as they have a great deal of recent experience of this).

I'm still annoyed at the way we lost to Aberdeen at Hampden last year, the sloppiness and slackness still rankles. It was almost as if we are so used to getting close now that it doesn't matter as much - it still does to me.

And there's a bit of me deep down that is still struggling to deal with that tortuous Wayne Foster goal and defeat.

Normal league games though - you dust yourself down, there's another one next week.

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 10:44 AM
In days gone by a defeat would linger on my mind until about the middle of the week when thoughts then moved towards the coming weekend and the next fixture. The older I get it doesnt bother me as much, yes it makes me feel bad but we're talking an a hour or two of pissoffedity usually dispelled with a quick pint or two that evening, after all life goes on.
The bigger games, of course, have a little more intensity to them and the highs and lows are greater, I dont think I will ever fully come back down to earth after May 2016 for instance. The average football fan has these highs and lows constantly, some of the "bigger" clubs perhaps dont have the lows the same but in a way they are missing out because Im sure our lows make our highs much higher and intense.

jdships
21-08-2017, 03:43 PM
As the saying goes, ...Growing UP is optional, Growing OLD is mandatory !

At 66 I'm still a bairn.

Defeats are a bit different out here where it's a midnight kick off. It was 3am before I'd finished a few facebook posts and got to my kip.

0930 hrs on Sunday it was up with a fitba hangover, and after a short while, the missus said..."You can tell you got beat, you are not jumping about like last week"

Pretty crap Sunday, but it's Monday evening now and I am back to looking forward to our resurgence and inevitable march to footballing glory on Sunday coming against Dundee.

To be honest..and yes maybe I should get a life..but Hibs results DO shape the way I feel for the next few days.

Might be different when I grow up, granted.

Like your style FF :not worth
Hope you too make it to 85 and more :aok:
I have had a great time as a Hibbee and met and made friends with fans and players
Have had four relatives play for the club and in 1951 even played " down the slope" against the " famous four" ( Bobby J was injured ) and Combe took his place
Well done you :thumbsup: