PDA

View Full Version : This squad still has a lot to learn

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Despite a remarkable transfer window, the Premiership is a big step up for Hibs, not just in skill and ability, but in nous.

I wasn't at yesterday's game, but from what I heard and read, it sounds like we were a bit naive in our approach to the game and possibly wrongly prepared mentally.

Celtic apart, who could well go through the season unbeaten again, although their Champions League commitments might make that less likely, every team in this division can beat every other.

Teams must make sure their players are ready to do the hard work, every week, to win their individual battles. Some weeks those battles may be easier to win than others, but players should expect the hardest fight, regardless of the opposition.

Yesterday's result was terrible, a real knock. I very much doubt that Aberdeen, Rangers or Hearts will find themselves 0-3 down after 90 minutes at home to teams outwith the supposed top 5 so yesterday really slapped us back into our place.

Yes, it's only one game, and some of the reactions to it, and to individual players, have been ridiculous, (almost everyone seems to have become a bad player overnight, FFS) but Lennon and the players better learn, and learn fast.

The older posters will remember Roy Barry playing for Hibs. He's still revered at Dunfermline where he captained them to their 1968 Scottish Cup win over Hearts, by the way.

He had a shocking disviplinary record in Scotland and in England, but he was as mild mannered a man off the field as you could meet.

I once asked him about this contradiction and he replied, "Once I step over that white line, it's war".

I hear managers saying things like"Just go out and enjoy yourselves".

Bollocks.

Win the war first, then worry about having fun.

Thecat23
20-08-2017, 09:31 AM
We didn't lose 0-3 either 😉

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 09:32 AM

Bugger, you beat me to the edit.

:na na:

neil7908
20-08-2017, 10:47 AM
I guess my hope this year was that although we're the new team in the SPL, I hoped that given the number of cup games against SPL opposition we've had in the last 3 years we'd be ready.

That and the fact that barring Murray, everyone in our starting 11 has plenty experience in this league.

Caroline Hibby
20-08-2017, 10:56 AM

But we were 3-0 down after 90 mins. Guy makes a valid point. Despite it being acknowledged that Hamilton deserved their win blah blah ... seemed to me yesterday that the team had no understanding or cohesion. Swanson got pelters from McGinn early on for not moving into an obvious space. Swanson was again out of cynic with Whittaker. Both Hamlin and McGeoch tried to rally the team in second half but no reaction. Murray looked lost. Btw Swanson looked knackered from the start and Stokes is 2 yards off the pace.

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 11:24 AM
I canny accept that the premiership is a big step up for us. We are the third biggest club in Scotland. Yisterday was a one off we are still the best team in Scotland outwith celtic ofcourse.

Paisley Hibby
20-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Despite a remarkable transfer window, the Premiership is a big step up for Hibs, not just in skill and ability, but in nous.

I wasn't at yesterday's game, but from what I heard and read, it sounds like we were a bit naive in our approach to the game and possibly wrongly prepared mentally.

Celtic apart, who could well go through the season unbeaten again, although their Champions League commitments might make that less likely, every team in this division can beat every other.

Teams must make sure their players are ready to do the hard work, every week, to win their individual battles. Some weeks those battles may be easier to win than others, but players should expect the hardest fight, regardless of the opposition.

Yesterday's result was terrible, a real knock. I very much doubt that Aberdeen, Rangers or Hearts will find themselves 0-3 down after 90 minutes at home to teams outwith the supposed top 5 so yesterday really slapped us back into our place.

Yes, it's only one game, and some of the reactions to it, and to individual players, have been ridiculous, (almost everyone seems to have become a bad player overnight, FFS) but Lennon and the players better learn, and learn fast.

The older posters will remember Roy Barry playing for Hibs. He's still revered at Dunfermline where he captained them to their 1968 Scottish Cup win over Hearts, by the way.

He had a shocking disviplinary record in Scotland and in England, but he was as mild mannered a man off the field as you could meet.

I once asked him about this contradiction and he replied, "Once I step over that white line, it's war".

I hear managers saying things like"Just go out and enjoy yourselves".

Bollocks.

Win the war first, then worry about having fun.

Sorry but you lost me at "I wasn't at the game yesterday". I was and I thought Hamilton were just the better team. Imrie was possibly the most intelligent player on the park. Our manager made a tactical change midway through the second half which only made things worse. We have no god given right to be beat teams like Hamilton and once we realise that we will maybe get on better.

Since90+2
20-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I canny accept that the premiership is a big step up for us. We are the third biggest club in Scotland. Yisterday was a one off we are still the best team in Scotland outwith celtic ofcourse.

Aberdeen are the second best team in Scotland.

20-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Yesterdays result should be a massive wake up call for us and remind us that we have no god given right to beat anyone. The days of playing weaker championship teams every week are over, the Premiership teams are a step up. We've been recieving a lot of praise over this squad and quite rightly so but perhaps we're starting to believe in our own hype and maybe a little bit carried away after the result at ibrox. If anything positive comes out of yesterday I hope its that its brought us back down to Earth.

Although we really shouldn't be getting beat 3-1 by Hamilton, they are a decent side, very strong, organised and dangerous on the break. We just never got going at all yesterday for some reason.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Sorry but you lost me at "I wasn't at the game yesterday".

What about it was so difficult to understand that you got lost? :confused:

We have no god given right to be beat teams like Hamilton and once we realise that we will maybe get on better.

That's exactly my point.

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Aberdeen are the second best team in Scotland.
No even mibby we'll skelp the sheep pal

Paisley Hibby
20-08-2017, 08:42 PM
What about it was so difficult to understand that you got lost? :confused:

That's exactly my point.

Sorry, got my grumpy head on today (wonder why). First time I read your post I thought you were being disrespectful to Hamilton by describing our result yesterday as terrible and a real knock but you weren't there. I hate the way some Hibs fans seem to think we're so much better than the likes of them. Reading it again I see I was wrong, you weren't saying that at all.

Hibbyradge
21-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Sorry, got my grumpy head on today (wonder why). First time I read your post I thought you were being disrespectful to Hamilton by describing our result yesterday as terrible and a real knock but you weren't there. I hate the way some Hibs fans seem to think we're so much better than the likes of them. Reading it again I see I was wrong, you weren't saying that at all.

Thanks for that :aok:

Onion
21-08-2017, 12:54 PM
And a long way to go. Potentially the best squad we've had since the GJP/Sauzee days. Will only get better.

Hibbyradge
21-08-2017, 01:27 PM
And a long way to go. Potentially the best squad we've had since the GJP/Sauzee days. Will only get better.

That's the hope, anyway.

Sauzee & co lost our first home game to Stranraer but we had a brilliant season nonetheless.

Yes, that was the first division, but there are parallels to be drawn.

Steve20
21-08-2017, 02:51 PM
That's the hope, anyway.

Sauzee & co lost our first home game to Stranraer but we had a brilliant season nonetheless.

Yes, that was the first division, but there are parallels to be drawn.

The likes of Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu hadn't joined us yet when we played that game with Stranraer though.

Hibbyradge
21-08-2017, 03:09 PM
The likes of Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu hadn't joined us yet when we played that game with Stranraer though.

Of course you're right.

mjhibby
21-08-2017, 04:24 PM

We will see where we are at the end of the season but I think we need to change our mentality now we are in the SPL. In the Championship we were used to every team with everybody behind the ball and we felt confident we would eventually break them down. Teams like Hamilton are decent sides but do have the ability to hurt you if your not fully focused on the task. Maybe there was an assumption that we would just turn up and win but I'm sure that's well and truly been drummed out of the players by Nl. Yes we are definitely top six material but if we want t o finish top four we will have to avoid such poor level of application and desire as Saturday. Having said that we are 5th in the league having played the rangers away so while sat was gash it's onto the next game. I think the reaction to sat has been ott but just reflects the massive increase in expectations from the support.
GGTTH.

heretoday
21-08-2017, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see an experienced no 10 type like Commons in there.
But they don't grow on trees.