PDA

View Full Version : Moaners

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Yes, Hibs were dreadful and it was painful to watch. But for some people sitting behind me in the West, you sensed that this was the game theyd been waitung on - their 21 May 16 if you will. They were in their element with their almost incesant moaing and abuse of the home side.

Although I choose not to get on the players backs, I accept that fans have the right to criticise. This was something altogether different though - those guys should check into therapy and give the rest of us a break from their neurosis.

Fuzzywuzzy
20-08-2017, 06:32 AM
We all know football fans are fickle. Every club, without exception, have fans that will have a moan about anything and everything. As a paying customer they feel that they are entitled to moan. Which is fair enough if that's what they feel. Our relative recent success has given fans a sense of heightened expectations.

I've been a hibs fan too long to know that that's never going to be the case. You've just got to roll with the punches. We've been through highs and some brutal lows but we still stand by the club that we love.

It's one game. You take the hit and move on. We'll recover and over the course of the season capitulate again. As long as I remember the sphincter normally goes about February time and we're pish for a while.

I think we're going to have a great season. I've money on with a sevco friend that we'll finish above them (I know right???) and had told my mrs before the game we'll beat Celtic at parkhead (Genuinely believe this).

players that we loved last season have taken a complete panning today although we have witnessed the first two game that they are warriors.

We are hibs. It's a blip. Regroup. Move on. This is what we do.

GGTTH

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Folk pay good money to moan though I get where your coming from the ones who constantly moan are usually the same ones who throw their scarfs on the park if we get beat and say there no going back cause of petrie. I'll criticise any player who doesn't pull they're weight on here but I'll never moan at the match you've got to be behind the team 100%.The core of our fans are the best fans on the planet. We've been through the good the bad and the ugly but our love for Hibs never dies GGTTH.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I left at 2v0 before I had an aneurism. Apologies to those in the South who were sat around me. I can handle getting beat (just), I can't handle players not putting in the required effort and rolling up their sleeves for a battle.

lobster
20-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Going to the game is effectively a form of checking in to therapy though. Stability tests at the gate might be an idea.

Johnny Clash
20-08-2017, 09:41 AM
These games have to be toughed out and it's not easy watching the team you love get pumped. Sometimes I get carried away and let slip a few frustrated one liners but I like to think not too many folk can hear them. It's like a form of Hibee tourrets. I just don't get the mouthy roasters who think they are so clever that the rest of the stand want to hear them slating our players.

Hibbycol
20-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Life has it's ups and downs ,like hibs .
You go through thick and thin with your family, hibs are my family .
Ups and downs ,highs and lows, marriage and divorce, births and deaths ,the only constant is hibs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
20-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Life has it's ups and downs ,like hibs .
You go through thick and thin with your family, hibs are my family .
Ups and downs ,highs and lows, marriage and divorce, births and deaths ,the only constant is hibs.

Yes weeks of insomnia over Stokes now he's a waste of space. A lot of fans are like kids and they only place their childish behaviour is allowed or tolerated is inside the stadium.

Hibbycol
20-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes weeks of insomnia over Stokes now he's a waste of space. A lot of fans are like kids and they only place their childish behaviour is allowed or tolerated is inside the stadium.Aye ,we are a fickle bunch, got to love hibs, "you nivir no whot yor gonna git" [emoji16]

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Folk pay good money to moan though I get where your coming from the ones who constantly moan are usually the same ones who throw their scarfs on the park if we get beat and say there no going back cause of petrie. I'll criticise any player who doesn't pull they're weight on here but I'll never moan at the match you've got to be behind the team 100%.The core of our fans are the best fans on the planet. We've been through the good the bad and the ugly but our love for Hibs never dies GGTTH.

Surely folk dont pay good money to moan they pay good money to support the team..Some folk just give out because they love the sound of their own voice, have an inferiority complex and this is the only place they can really let loose. It does nothing in terms of bringing positives to the experience either of the rest of the support or performance of the players. I'm with you in terms you can critise and call out shortcomings but doing it at the game helps no one..

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-08-2017, 10:22 AM
There's a middle ground where folk are moaning with absolute accuracy. Yesterday an old boy behind me said to ambrose 'for f***'s sake you're only beating yourself'

emerald green
20-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Are people not allowed to express their opinions freely at the fitba? Lets introduce censorship at Easter Road now. :rolleyes:

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Are people not allowed to express their opinions freely at the fitba? Lets introduce censorship at Easter Road now. :rolleyes:

Nowt wrong with expressing opinions. But they aren't always useful during the game.

HiBremian
20-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Yes, Hibs were dreadful and it was painful to watch. But for some people sitting behind me in the West, you sensed that this was the game theyd been waitung on - their 21 May 16 if you will. They were in their element with their almost incesant moaing and abuse of the home side.

Although I choose not to get on the players backs, I accept that fans have the right to criticise. This was something altogether different though - those guys should check into therapy and give the rest of us a break from their neurosis.

Are you referencing Popper's Paradox of Intolerance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance) here, DBS? :greengrin

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Surely folk dont pay good money to moan they pay good money to support the team..Some folk just give out because they love the sound of their own voice, have an inferiority complex and this is the only place they can really let loose. It does nothing in terms of bringing positives to the experience either of the rest of the support or performance of the players. I'm with you in terms you can critise and call out shortcomings but doing it at the game helps no one.. aye that was what a was meaning lol folk who pay players wages should be able to critise the players if their no pulling there weight but it should be on here the west stand is the worst for moaners like does ma box in lol

matty_f
20-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Just because you're allowed to, doesn't mean you have to.

tamig
20-08-2017, 11:29 AM

So how do you reckon it feels for a player to be barracked rather than being backed on the pitch? Moaning and booing only benefit the opposition.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Nowt wrong with expressing opinions. But they aren't always useful during the game.

Just because you're allowed to, doesn't mean you have to.

Both of the above comments are correct, but surely nobody seriously expects that in a crowd of 16,500 different individuals at a football match (many who have been drinking) there aren't going to be all sorts of comments (supportive and otherwise) or "moans", especially if their team is performing really poorly, and is getting well beaten? That just seems completely unrealistic IMHO.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that fans should castigate the players. I think the Hibs fans have be very supportive of the team in recent seasons, especially since winning the Scottish Cup. They have turned up in great numbers and put their money down.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 11:38 AM
So how do you reckon it feels for a player to be barracked rather than being backed on the pitch? Moaning and booing only benefit the opposition.

I didn't hear any player being "barracked" yesterday. Maybe I missed something?

See also my previous post.

eastcoasthibby
20-08-2017, 11:48 AM
I know players may hear individual shouts ..but the biggest and totally unavoidable moan comes from the vast majority of fans when a player dwells on the ball too long and gets it taken off him, when a player gets himself into good position and hits the cross out off the park, gives the ball to the opposition from 4-5 yards away or hits the.keeper on a 1 v 1, and these.moans very rarely come for the first time the.player(s) do it but the 2nd, 3rd time ...it was heard many times.yesterday and no doubt players.hear it moans ans loud groans of disappointment ...and we.cant stop that and the.players need to man up and get on with it, they cant expect it to be all positive if what they are doing isn't good enough ...people pay good money and are.entitled.to expect certain things.to be at a certain level and its when thats not being met that people can moan ..I am sure we all have.experienced.it at work so why not in this job ?

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2017, 11:55 AM
There's a difference between barracking a player for an individual error ..... such as in 'FFS Ambrose what the hell are you doing!!!' as he fannied about trying to beat two men and ignored the simple out ball he had .... or WTF Hanlon !!! as a very decent player has a brain fart and gifts the opposition a goal.

When you just pick on a player and abuse him throughout the game for every tiny little error that doesn't meet your exacting standards that's different ... it does my bloody head in.

But my biggest bugbear is booing the team off at the end ..... Its one thing if the game you have just witnessed is one in a long line of abject performances, but when its been an aberration in what has otherwise been a more than decent start to the season folk who think its still OK to boo the players off need a bloody guid slap. There was quite a bit of that yesterday and I hope it was mostly from the folk who have been attracted back by the clubs recent feelgood factor and are still labouring under the impression that we are Barcelona and not a team that for all the good stuff we are capable of are still feeling our way in a league we are not used to.

So to anybody on here who booed the team off yesterday ........................ booooooooooo to you :giruy2:

1875STEVE
20-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I had 3 behind me in the East, all 3 were blootered.

Apparently....

McGinn is *****, Whittaker is finished, Swanson has done nowt in a Hibs shirt and Mcgregor should have stayed at Rangers.

They also, after 5 minutes thought Barker should be sent back, "waste of a wage already"

Ffs do folk think we were not going to lose any games??? We have no right, like every other side in football, to win any game.

We were off the boil/flat, you forget it and move on, nothing we can do about it now.

euro Hibby
20-08-2017, 12:16 PM
It's a while since we had to wake up with a defeat to contemplate. My Sunday morning paper read is very different today , much shorter than usual . That said, reflecting on the game which seemed like 13 versus 11, I believe we will learn from it. Hibs are always a big scalp for the smaller teams and although painful to watch, Hamilton served out a good lesson and a reminder that if the application is not 100 % right then, you can lose to anyone in this league.
Hibs have always had a good percentage of professional moaners. Some of them do it by habit and others just seem to see a game as one sided. One team usually loses so if you have that perception from the start, I think you can enjoy football more. It was only the third game of the season and there are threads with titles like disgraceful. Each to their own ! . it was painful to watch but a timely reminder to the team that on a bad day you sometimes need to lower your goals and play to get a draw. Yesterday, at no time did we look like a team. So congradulations to Hamilton. Job more than well done. Hopefully they can play like that on other days.

Famous Fiver
20-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Oh the irony1

DBS having a moan about the moaners.

Well I'm having a moan about anyone moaning about the moaners.

If anybody moans about me moaning about people that moan about the moaners ma heid will explode!!

High-On-Hibs
20-08-2017, 12:25 PM
The only thing worse than the moaners are those moaning about the moaners, which just adds to the overall moaning. Extremely tiresome.

Eyrie
20-08-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm sure the barrackers appreciate the benefits of getting a bollocking from their boss at work when they're simply trying their best to do a good job, which is why they do the same thing to players that they should be supporting.

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 01:20 PM
I know players may hear individual shouts ..but the biggest and totally unavoidable moan comes from the vast majority of fans when a player dwells on the ball too long and gets it taken off him, when a player gets himself into good position and hits the cross out off the park, gives the ball to the opposition from 4-5 yards away or hits the.keeper on a 1 v 1, and these.moans very rarely come for the first time the.player(s) do it but the 2nd, 3rd time ...it was heard many times.yesterday and no doubt players.hear it moans ans loud groans of disappointment ...and we.cant stop that and the.players need to man up and get on with it, they cant expect it to be all positive if what they are doing isn't good enough ...people pay good money and are.entitled.to expect certain things.to be at a certain level and its when thats not being met that people can moan ..I am sure we all have.experienced.it at work so why not in this job ?

I dont see you can use this analogy....So whats a paying fan? Are they a customer? As we pay the wages are we the owners? the managers? or the co workers of the players?

Footballs unique that way...I can see why folk get exasperated & let that out, i do it all the time..Coming out with some of the rubbish a very small minority comes out with (examples in above posts) will never help us get where we all want to get to.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Just a couple of further points on this subject.

Over the years I've often heard players (from various clubs) openly and publicly stating, especially after after bad defeats, that supporters are entitled to express their opinions and/or displeasure. These players didn't seem to me to have an issue with it, unless what they were saying was complete bull****. But it didn't appear to be.

I'm hearing also that The Rangers were jeered off the pitch at Ibrox the end of their match yesterday. A 0-0 draw with Hearts. I'm afraid it's what (some) supporters will do when they are angry and disappointed. Hibs supporters are no different in this regard. In fact, I'd say they've been better than most for quite some time now.

That said, I'm not suggesting Hibs fans should boo or "barrack" our players. My point is that it's totally unrealistic, and nonsensical, to think that thousands of different individuals will all think, act, and behave in the same manner as you or anyone else would want them to. It's not going to happen.

cabbageandribs1875
20-08-2017, 02:37 PM
I left at 2v0 before I had an aneurism. Apologies to those in the South who were sat around me. I can handle getting beat (just), I can't handle players not putting in the required effort and rolling up their sleeves for a battle.

ditto, and so did quite a few others, it's taken me 40+ years of watching some woeful performances by some hibs teams over all they years to leave the ground for the first time with still 20 mins to play, 3 years and we're still in the back pockets of that team, at least our team of 3 years ago took them to the wire :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
20-08-2017, 04:09 PM
The guy next to me had the broadest irish accent imaginable, but spent the entire match screaming at Stokes and calling him a useless Irish c.... The mind boggles.
This guy was at Stokesy right from the kick-off.
I was in the south stand, thank fully, and am confident that I won't see him again.
Oh yes, he left well before Stokesy got our consolation goal.

s.a.m
20-08-2017, 04:13 PM
The guy next to me had the broadest irish accent imaginable, but spent the entire match screaming at Stokes and calling him a useless Irish c.... The mind boggles.
This guy was at Stokesy right from the kick-off.
I was in the south stand, thank fully, and am confident that I won't see him again.
Oh yes, he left well before Stokesy got our consolation goal.

Black hair with a quiff? White suit? Guitar? :hmmm:

hhibs
20-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Black hair with a quiff? White suit? Guitar? :hmmm:

Brilliant ,first laugh I been able to have after that rank performance!

we are hibs
20-08-2017, 04:43 PM
it was a pathetic performance. do you expect people to sit on their hands and not say or moan about stupid misplaced passes that reek of laziness or players bottling it out of 50/50's?

basehibby
20-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Aaaah - the old "pay good money to moan" chestnut.

Thing is - I pay good money too and I do not pay that dosh to listen to obsessively negative ********s do their best to undermine the team I'm there to support. I can get that sometimes fans need to let off steam, but I have no time for the kind of idiot who it seems is just waiting for the opportunity to fling abuse at their own personal scapegoat in the side.

Hfcwilson3192
20-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Thing is - I pay good money too and I do not pay that dosh to listen to obsessively negative ********s do their best to undermine the team I'm there to support. I can get that sometimes fans need to let off steam, but I have no time for the kind of idiot who it seems is just waiting for the opportunity to fling abuse at their own personal scapegoat in the side.
Mate I totally agree with you my point is that if fans want to moan about current affairs they should do it on here and only on here.

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 05:41 PM

:top marks

Thecat23
20-08-2017, 05:48 PM

We said, I pay "good money" for someone to wash and clean my car. If he drops the Hoover or misses a little does that mean I can stand and scream what I like to him? Course not, some folk are walking heart attacks ready to explode why bother with all this hate. They don't go to support Hibs the go to wait for mistakes and scream like ****ing loonies.

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 05:55 PM
We said, I pay "good money" for someone to wash and clean my car. If he drops the Hoover or misses a little does that mean I can stand and scream what I like to him? Course not, some folk are walking heart attacks ready to explode why bother with all this hate. They don't go to support Hibs the go to wait for mistakes and scream like ****ing loonies.

I support Hibs for connectivity, for love, for togetherness.........Dudes that abuse, I dunno where they get their positive vibes?

Arch Stanton
20-08-2017, 06:06 PM

So, someone decides that Efe needs coaching on defence matters and does so in the most objectionable manner possible - loud and abusive doesn't cover it. Problem is, Efe never hears this foul mouthed and totally ignorant coaching, but I get it full volume because I am sitting nearby.

If such coaching is allowed then surely I should be allowed to get my own back on abuse which is never going to reach it's intended target - allow me to bring in a baseball bat, why not - shouldn't abuse count both ways?

Dalianwanda
20-08-2017, 06:16 PM
it was a pathetic performance. do you expect people to sit on their hands and not say or moan about stupid misplaced passes that reek of laziness or players bottling it out of 50/50's?

Not at all.......But do you expect players to raise their game with some of the rubbish thrown at them?

emerald green
20-08-2017, 06:21 PM
So, someone decides that Efe needs coaching on defence matters and does so in the most objectionable manner possible - loud and abusive doesn't cover it. Problem is, Efe never hears this foul mouthed and totally ignorant coaching, but I get it full volume because I am sitting nearby.

If such coaching is allowed then surely I should be allowed to get my own back on abuse which is never going to reach it's intended target - allow me to bring in a baseball bat, why not - shouldn't abuse count both ways?

Are you seriously suggesting you should be allowed to bring in a baseball bat and lay into someone who shouts out something you don't like? C'mon now. :faf:

I would refer you to what I said in my posts #18 and #28.

HibbyKeith
20-08-2017, 07:06 PM
We went 1 down to Partick and there was a loud round of applause from the home fans to lift the team and support them, you could sense the feel good factor around the stadium.

Yesterday was the complete opposite at 0-1 and it just seemed to escalated as the match went on. Screaming abuse at players is hardly motivating and as we've seen before it does us no favours.

at 2-1 in the Scottish cup final there was again a large outburst of applause from the hibs end, almost like we were there to give the players belief, we know the rest of that story.

I just wish our fans would vocally back the team when things go wrong in games. Yes yesterday the players were poor, but we play into oppositions hands with the negative reaction from the home stands around the stadium.

onward and upward fellow hibees the next game is always a chance to rectify mistakes gone by.

In Lennon we trust :flag:

kaimendhibs
20-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Bigger crowds mean we get more fans who expect to win and go nuts when we dont. Normally only manifest at cup semis and finals. How the hell does slagging players off spur them on?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Billychaotic182
20-08-2017, 07:16 PM
I love stevenson, hell my hamster is named after him. But his crossing yesterday and passing almost made me burst a pile! I'm bad for a disgruntled moan when a pass goes to the opposition but I'd never scream at our players and abuse them. The odd waken up for pull the finger out aye but never a personal attack.

tamig
20-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Just a couple of further points on this subject.

Over the years I've often heard players (from various clubs) openly and publicly stating, especially after after bad defeats, that supporters are entitled to express their opinions and/or displeasure. These players didn't seem to me to have an issue with it, unless what they were saying was complete bull****. But it didn't appear to be.

I'm hearing also that The Rangers were jeered off the pitch at Ibrox the end of their match yesterday. A 0-0 draw with Hearts. I'm afraid it's what (some) supporters will do when they are angry and disappointed. Hibs supporters are no different in this regard. In fact, I'd say they've been better than most for quite some time now.

That said, I'm not suggesting Hibs fans should boo or "barrack" our players. My point is that it's totally unrealistic, and nonsensical, to think that thousands of different individuals will all think, act, and behave in the same manner as you or anyone else would want them to. It's not going to happen.
That's a fair point. However, back to yesterday, i recall young Barker getting a few negative sound directed his way when he appeared to hold back from a 50/50 minutes after coming on. To the boy's credit he improved as the game went on. That's the kind of thing that can send players into their shells though and I don't get why the individuals who do it act in that way. I do appreciate though that an ER crowd is made up of all sorts of personalities.