PDA

View Full Version : Danny Swanson

hibby6270
19-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Honest opinions on him so far?

Here's mine.

Shone for Saints in 2 spells with them. Big fish in a small pond maybe?
Was "found out" in his short spell at Tynie?
Have we taken on the Saints version or the Jambo version?
Looking like the latter at the moment.

What does he need to do to live up to his billing.
Other than one great long range shot from him today, he looked nervous. Trying too hard. Easily dispossessed. Didn't have the bite he has shown in previous games to track back and put a tackle in.

I realise today probably not the best game to single him out. He was as bad as the rest of them.

What do we do with Danny to make him an effective part of the team?

Hi Heid Yin
19-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Here's mine.

Other than one great long range shot from him today, he looked nervous. Trying too hard. Easily dispossessed. Didn't have the bite he has shown in previous games to track back and put a tackle in.

I realise today probably not the best game to single him out. He was as bad as the rest of them.

The bit in bold has me asking: "why single him out then and create a thread?"

Danny Swanson is a good player and he will show this more often than not.

18Hibee75
19-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Thought Danny looked promising against Partick for the first half, but never really kicked on from then. It's clear to see that he really wants that goal to get him off and running, still believe he could be a big player for us this season.
As to the question about what do we want from him, I would definitely like to see at least ten goals from him this season, he's certainly capable of it. He can take players on and has a good shot but we haven't seen the best of him yet.
He's a hibs fan and will be wanting results as much as any of us. Think he could learn a lot from Dylan McGeough in particular about calming down and not trying to force things.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
19-08-2017, 07:35 PM
He scored 15 goals last year. Mainly played off the left as far as I know. We haven't played him in that position.

ancient hibee
19-08-2017, 07:39 PM
His face was beetroot today and just before half time he was struggling for breath.Maybe not fit or his nerves are getting to him.

BSEJVT
19-08-2017, 07:42 PM
His face was beetroot today and just before half time he was struggling for breath.Maybe not fit or his nerves are getting to him.

I don't think he has actually been playing too badly but I thought that about him against Partick but to a much lesser extent

Agree today he looked absolutely knackered and didn't even bother going over to take a corner late in the first half

Billy Whizz
19-08-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm sure Danny will do fine for Hibs. Has been instrumental in quite a few Hibs goals so far this season
Maybe confidence has taken a wee dent, but he'll recover and start creating and scoring goals for Hibs

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Some players looked good early on in their Hibs career - Zarabi, Pa Kujabi, Lee Power and Paul Tosh to name a few.

Others who didnt hit the ground running early on in their Hibs career include Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill and Jason Cummings.

Swanson has proved he can do it in this league and i think he will for us.

bingo70
19-08-2017, 07:47 PM
I like him and one of the few players that look like creating things.

I do think he's probably guilty of trying too hard and trying to force the issue but for some reason I get the impression people are desperate to sharpen the knives for him which I don't understand.

I think he'll be a decent addition to the squad but could really do with a goal to get the monkey (and a few moaners) off his back.

Fwiw my post isn't in response to the op, it's what I thought at the game earlier as well.

neil7908
19-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I don't think he has actually been playing too badly but I thought that about him against Partick but to a much lesser extent

Agree today he looked absolutely knackered and didn't even bother going over to take a corner late in the first half

I thought this as well about him. We missed Boyle alot today and I think the difference in directness between Swanson and Boyle was clear today. Equally, Murray did a lot of chasing as usual but didn't feel Stokes or Sawnson matched his energy or work rate.

Danny isn't a bad player and I don't think he's been terrible for us. But we keep talking about how strong the squad is. Given that all players need to be on there toes at all times.

hibby6270
I definitely hope all your optimism comes to fruition.

Put simply he is just trying to hard and it's not coming off for him the way he wants it to.
Hope it's as simple an answer as that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
Saw him play twice. Excellent for 60 mins against Ross County and played very well at home against Partick Thistle with an assist.

IMO people are looking to single him out. Why? Because he's one of us? He's 4 or 5 games in to his hibs career and I've seen people write him off.

Incredibly harsh buy I suppose the reality of the world we live in. Perform immediately otherwise there'll be enough people on social media to bring you down.

We're not even out of August yet. Danny sill be a great player for hibs. I believe in him

DH1875
19-08-2017, 07:52 PM
New scapegoat?

Vini1875
19-08-2017, 07:56 PM
I have seen enough Danny in the Hibs team to think he will come good. Our system sees him on the ball more and expected to do more and so he makes more mistakes, which is noticed more. He needs to get fitter and as soon as he is he will be a better player for us. He doesn't hide while not playing well and keeps trying I fully expect him to come good.

bingo70
19-08-2017, 07:59 PM
New scapegoat?

Starting to look that way.

Nakedmanoncrack
19-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Some players looked good early on in their Hibs career - Zarabi, Pa Kujabi, Lee Power and Paul Tosh to name a few.

Others who didnt hit the ground running early on in their Hibs career include Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill and Jason Cummings.

Swanson has proved he can do it in this league and i think he will for us.

Nobody is writing him off, hopefully he will come good, but I'll be honest I expected more of an impact from him to be honest, & said so before today's debacle.

Billychaotic182
19-08-2017, 08:03 PM
The team was pants today. Swanson was no where near the worst player. Opinions are fine but let's not write off a player after 3 games. Boys hibs daft, he's one of us let's not bloody turn on him just because we had one bad (very bad at that) game

Billy Whizz
19-08-2017, 08:05 PM
The team was pants today. Swanson was no where near the worst player. Opinions are fine but let's not write off a player after 3 games. Boys hibs daft, he's one of us let's not bloody turn on him just because we had one bad (very bad at that) game

Agree 100%

G B Young
19-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Swanson was excellent at Tannadice, has excelled in two spells with St Johnstone and I note he scored a decent number of goals for Peterborough.

It never happened for him at Hearts but I think that was just an ill-judged move. In saying that, there's more pressure on players at Hibs and Hearts than there is at the other clubs he's been at and he may take a bit of time to find his feet. Good player though and he'll prove his worth.

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Nobody is writing him off, hopefully he will come good, but I'll be honest I expected more of an impact from him to be honest, & said so before today's debacle.

Didnt mean that anyone was writing him off just pointing out a few players that took time to show their worth.

Also think a few folk have missed how important his contribution was against Partick. Key player for 2 of our goals that day.

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Swanson was excellent at Tannadice, has excelled in two spells with St Johnstone and I note he scored a decent number of goals for Peterborough.

It never happened for him at Hearts but I think that was just an ill-judged move. In saying that, there's more pressure on players at Hibs and Hearts than there is at the other clubs he's been at and he may take a bit of time to find his feet. Good player though and he'll prove his worth.
:agree:

There was pressure on him at Hearts because he is a Hibby. There is pressure on him at Hibs also because he is a hibby (probably mostly self inflicted pressure).

A goal will sort him out.

B.H.F.C
19-08-2017, 08:22 PM

Whether he's Hibs daft or not is completely irrelevant. I don't actually think he's been that bad, couple of big contributions against Partick.

Big concern would be that he looks completely burst early doors in every game and is inevitably hooked earlyish.

It's not quite happening for him yet. We're playing him central though and he played off the left all last year when he was very successful.

Tornadoes70
19-08-2017, 08:28 PM

Exactly. Its absurd to be singling out one player for particular criticism. Danny will like every other player hit form and lose form at points in time. It was an overall very poor team performance today and lets hope the team as a whole will look to vastly improve on today's game.

O'Rourke3
19-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Danny appears to be trying too hard. As a previous poster observed if he relaxes and settles he'll be fine. He'll have better games than today as will most...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Here's mine.

In a nutshell. Think he is just rushing / forcing things at the moment. When he gets his goal at Easter Road he'll settle down just fine and all this noise will disappear.

The laddie is a fine footballer. let's not forget that...

Firestarter
19-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Danny isn't responsible for team shape. Today was a shocker from our manager too interested in jumping down to Ireland mid week for the Celtic match and winding up rangers. Total focus on Hamilton? No, it wasn't from anyone and we got what was deserved. Lessons hopefully learned and hopefully Lennon is in taking training Tuesday instead of sitting in a studio watching Celtic.

FRes Hibbie
19-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Thought him and stokes were poor. If they were at the races I think we'd have scored in the first half then gone on to win. As it was Hamilton got their penalty then just picked us off when we got desperate trying to equalise. We looked toothless going forward today.

rcarter1
19-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Ivan Sproule

J-C
19-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Sometimes playing for your boyhood heroes can be too much and like Danny, he's just trying too hard to impress. He needs to just settle down and play his natural game and it'll come, he showed some nice touches early on but nothing came off for him.

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Ivan Sproule

He is nothing like Sproule:confused:

matty_f
19-08-2017, 09:18 PM
I thought Swanson was fine today, definitely not the worst on the pitch.

heretoday
19-08-2017, 09:23 PM

On reflection, he should have stayed on. The shape went to hell after he went off. Stokes should have gone off.

J-C
19-08-2017, 09:26 PM
On reflection, he should have stayed on. The shape went to hell after he went off. Stokes should have gone off.

Stokes was blowing out his erse after 60 mins and was offering little, didn't see his goal as I left when the 3rd went in, I went back to work.

edwards
19-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Definately Laid on a great corner for Murray but he couldn't get his head around it and his shot from about thirty yards was a stoater felt we fell out of the game when he went off

Ryan69
19-08-2017, 09:45 PM
He scored 15 goals last year. Mainly played off the left as far as I know. We haven't played him in that position.

9 or 10 were penalties.

He never missed one...till he took one for us. Lol

Tornadoes70
19-08-2017, 09:54 PM
9 or 10 were penalties.

He never missed one...till he took one for us. Lol

Jamie (The Hun) Walker scored around the same number of penalties most of which were won by his high diving antics. Does that make Danny a million pound player? Lol

The_Horde
19-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I have seen enough Danny in the Hibs team to think he will come good. Our system sees him on the ball more and expected to do more and so he makes more mistakes, which is noticed more. He needs to get fitter and as soon as he is he will be a better player for us. He doesn't hide while not playing well and keeps trying I fully expect him to come good.

His fitness is fine. He looks daft because he's always positive and tries the positive things that don't always come off. We definitely lost something when he went off today.

majorhibs
19-08-2017, 10:40 PM
I think that's a lot of matey wishful thinking, with no regard to a cohesive midfield like last week.
Apart from not changing a buzzing team from last week, what was the thinking here? Swanson, who I don't rate, was in front of Mcginn & Mcgeoch, & for me that midfield was as unbalanced & uncohesive as I've seen in a good while. Bearing in mind 3 of those mids were involved in a good away win at grey skull; for me, easily, 1 new weak link. But all you who ken Danny wilnae have that. Does not fit in to this team for me.

penihibs
19-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Here's mine.

Thought he was having a good game don't think he deserved to get subbed,best out a bad bunch today.

One Day
20-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Danny appears to be trying too hard. As a previous poster observed if he relaxes and settles he'll be fine. He'll have better games than today as will most...

that's what I think too. a goal will settle him

Tha Cabbage Kid
20-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Danny is class, but he might need time to settle. Like others have said, some of the greats in football don't don't set the Heather on fire until later on in there first season. I remember watching drogba's first season for Chelsea and wonder why anyone would pay that kind of money for a **** player. And then is second season was insane!!!!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
20-08-2017, 08:07 AM
that's what I think too. a goal will settle him

:agree:

You can tell he's just desperate to score for us and sometimes that means he makes the wrong decisions when he has the ball.

It doesn't make him a bad player though.

SeanWilson
20-08-2017, 08:17 AM
He nearly took his seat of the hinges when he was hooked. He knows he was rank yesterday and Lennon didn't even look at him when he came off the field. Not a chance he's anywhere near the first team next week. Needs a few weeks out IMO.

Since90+2
20-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Danny was no better or worse than the other 11 starters yesterday.

We lost the game because Lennon was all over the shop tactically. Starting with 3-5-2 then moving to a 4-4-2 and changing a winning team from last week,putting barker on at left wing then at right wing ,bringing off your captain and main centre half , bring on big Davvy and going route one , Stokes playing in some daft false wing back position , dropping Slivka and then bringing on Barker who's hardly kicked a ball ahead of him as the first sub.

Lennon has had plenty deserved plaudits and he needs to take it when he gets it wrong and today he had no answer, apart from ranting and raving on the touch line , to hamiltons fairly basic style of football.

Nicho87
20-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Better as a left winger imo

overdrive
20-08-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm not his biggest fan from what I'd seen of him up to this point. However, I thought he was more than decent in the first half and by no means as bad as most of the others in the second half. I wouldn't have subbed him and although we were already a goal down and not playing well, we totally lost the plot when Swanson and McGregor went off.

Thegreenside
20-08-2017, 05:42 PM
I could be in the wrong but isn't he a left midfielder.

JimBHibees
20-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Danny isn't responsible for team shape. Today was a shocker from our manager too interested in jumping down to Ireland mid week for the Celtic match and winding up rangers. Total focus on Hamilton? No, it wasn't from anyone and we got what was deserved. Lessons hopefully learned and hopefully Lennon is in taking training Tuesday instead of sitting in a studio watching Celtic.

Ffs

JimBHibees
20-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Agree thought he shouldn't have been subbed so early. Great shot in the first half.

greenlex
20-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Ffs
It's a fair point and not without some merit. He's the manager of Hibernian. I'd be for getting it stopped.

bigwheel
20-08-2017, 08:49 PM
It's a fair point and not without some merit. He's the manager of Hibernian. I'd be for getting it stopped.

you'd stop him from doing some media work at some big European games? Firstly, he probably doesn't miss any training to do so, and even if he did, you think being present everyday makes him the best manager? if we had won yesterday no one would care - and neither they should.

greenlex
20-08-2017, 08:53 PM
you'd stop him from doing some media work at some big European games? Firstly, he probably doesn't miss any training to do so, and even if he did, you think being present everyday makes him the best manager? if we had won yesterday no one would care - and neither they should.
Your right. If we had won yesterday it wouldn't have been mentioned. We didn't and it has. Can you or anyone else say it didn't have an effect on the performance because I can't. If he's not doing it then that's a variable that can't be considered. Right now it is. It's a variable that IMO should be stopped. Concentrate on Hibs please.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Cheapshot no?

Probably contracted for that work and lets face it track record with Hibs managers wise to keep it as an option. Raises Hibs national profile so not all bad. He has a trusted number 2 in fact a management team. A good manager knows how to delagate.

I've seen little of him winding up The Rangers cool as milk responses to the hopeful feeding frenzy.

Or or would you prefer a sweetie bag chooser who's travelling down after games to see his missus but who's seemingly good on the training ground but nobody fancies as an analyst?

BarneyHibby
20-08-2017, 09:27 PM
9 or 10 were penalties.

He never missed one...till he took one for us. Lol9 from the spot. 6 in League games and 3 in the League Cup.

Smartie
20-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Cheapshot no?

Probably contracted for that work and lets face it track record with Hibs managers wise to keep it as an option. Raises Hibs national profile so not all bad. He has a trusted number 2 in fact a management team. A good manager knows how to delagate.

I've seen little of him winding up The Rangers cool as milk responses to the hopeful feeding frenzy.

Or or would you prefer a sweetie bag chooser who's travelling down after games to see his missus but who's seemingly good on the training ground but nobody fancies as an analyst?

I can never see the problem with managers having a wee sideline - as long as it is wee. If it keeps Lennon fresh and happy then that can only be a good thing.

We have a comprehensive staff in place and a fairly high-profile assistant in Garry Parker - I'm sure Lennon knows he can trust these guys in his absence.

The best of teams shrug off defeats. We had a bad day yesterday in all departments - the manager wasn't great, we defended badly, we lost the midfield battle and didn't offer enough up front.

We need not look for anything that isn't there, and turn a drama into a crisis.

seanshow
21-08-2017, 11:05 AM
I like Swanson, in the first half against Hamilton he crossed for 2 of Murray's chances and had one decent attempt himself,If that is an off day what does it say for the rest of the team!
He is creative, can beat a player, has passing and shooting ability, worth his weight in gold in this league.

SeanWilson
21-08-2017, 11:49 AM
I suspect with the comments from NL after the game re complacency and the way he hooked him and didn't even make eye contact means NL is a little frustrated with him in particular. End of the day, he was put in ahead of Slivka who had every right to start and was dyre (along with most others).

SeanWilson
21-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Is it not likely that hibs have allowed him to continue to do his punditry to subsidise what is likely to be a salary far lower than he could command elsewhere? I've no issue with him going off as a pundit, he talks very well and continues to raise our profile.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I like Swanson, in the first half against Hamilton he crossed for 2 of Murray's chances and had one decent attempt himself,If that is an off day what does it say for the rest of the team!
He is creative, can beat a player, has passing and shooting ability, worth his weight in gold in this league.:top marks Love your avatar btw. :aok:

Sammy7nil
21-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Cheapshot no?

Results will raise our profile, if we struggle and Lennon's on TV it will only highlight our problems.

overdrive
21-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Is it not likely that hibs have allowed him to continue to do his punditry to subsidise what is likely to be a salary far lower than he could command elsewhere? I've no issue with him going off as a pundit, he talks very well and continues to raise our profile.

Funny how there weren't the same level of complaints about Stubbs doing punditry whilst he was our manager.

KWJ
21-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with him when I was at the Partick game but I watched the game back later and noticed many more things about his performance that I'd missed at the game.

I was surprised he was brought back in for Slivka on Saturday and he didn't have the best of games.

That said, it's WAY too early to be writing players off or even giving them some stick. It's August and we've still got another game.

greenlex
21-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Funny how there weren't the same level of complaints about Stubbs doing punditry whilst he was our manager.

It's not really. The fact we seem to be fiat against lesser opposition and up for big games needs addressed. It was the same during Stubbs reign. Is the management team and manager in particular 100% focused on the job in hand? Every right to question it IMO