PDA

View Full Version : was anyone surprised

KazHibby
19-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Playing ok, just won at iPox, chance to give the team that demoted us to 3 seasons in Div 2 a good doin, and what happens an abject display where the accies looked like they had 2 more players than Hibs, had to check myself a5 one point - I'm sure / hope Lennon has picked up some info so it doesnae happen again this year!

Nicho87
19-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Very hibs style

Nameless
19-08-2017, 06:23 PM
All teams are capable of a massive off day, hibs are no special case. I doubt we will surrender as meekly as this again under Lennon - maybe it's time to dial the histrionics down a notch.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hfcwilson3192
19-08-2017, 06:25 PM
I was shocked to be honest expected a rout the day big reality check.

Smartie
19-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Yes, I was hugely surprised.

I didn't think there were any warning signs that we were going to play that badly.

I didn't even think we were all that bad in the first half, we just needed to lift it a bit in the second and I was confident we'd win.

From the kickoff in the second half we were second best to everything.

That second half is about as bad as anything I can remember us ever serving up.

And it came from nowhere.

Sir David Gray
19-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Yes I was.

I honestly thought this Hibs team had a lot more about them to be capable of such a lacklustre performance.

emerald green
19-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Surprised? No, not really. Seen that sort of thing from Hibs teams before over the years, i.e. win at somewhere like Ibrox for example and then fall flat on their face, at home, the following week.

Disappointed and pissed off? Yes, definitely.

Dalianwanda
19-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Playing ok, just won at iPox, chance to give the team that demoted us to 3 seasons in Div 2 a good doin, and what happens an abject display where the accies looked like they had 2 more players than Hibs, had to check myself a5 one point - I'm sure / hope Lennon has picked up some info so it doesnae happen again this year!

What do you mean was anyone surprised? Sounds like a leading question....Course Im surprised, playing great, scoring for fun, winning at Ibrox!? Why wouldn't we be surprised?

hibby6270
19-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Nope. Nothing surprises me now after 54 years of watching Hibs.
We do the unexpected - good and bad - spectacularly.

greenpaper55
19-08-2017, 06:47 PM
So much hype after the Rangers game and i just knew we would struggle today, it's down to the manager to get the players back down to earth- he failed miserably today.

High-On-Hibs
19-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Beating The Rangers wasn't unexpected. Making this loss even more unexpected.

Hfcwilson3192
19-08-2017, 06:49 PM
So much hype after the Rangers game and i just knew we would struggle today, it's down to the manager to get the players back down to earth- he failed miserably today.
A think you'll find it was the players who failed miserably today mate they didn't want it enough end of story.

Pete
19-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Yes, very surprised.

It was like a return to the dark days just before we went down. Players looking like they've just met and other teams wanting it more.

Unlike last time we have real quality and can definitely turn it around. Time for a rocket and then Dundee will be put to the sword.

MacGruber
19-08-2017, 06:57 PM
No
I think we will do well away from home this season. I think we will do well at home this season in the higher profile games, derbies, ole firm (Inc The new The Rangers in that) Aberdeen.
I think the less high profile home games are the ones we will struggle the most for a performance.
Today fit that Bill and add in it following a big win at Ibrox - no surprise here. Hopefully Lennon gets in their heads more for these games in future and they respond. Fortunately I think he will in future, he's exactly the type of guy for the job.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-08-2017, 07:01 PM
No. It was a game were we had to dictate the pace and tempo and the players had to motivate themselves. They are all previous failures.

19-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Yes, I was hugely surprised.

I didn't think there were any warning signs that we were going to play that badly.

I didn't even think we were all that bad in the first half, we just needed to lift it a bit in the second and I was confident we'd win.

From the kickoff in the second half we were second best to everything.

That second half is about as bad as anything I can remember us ever serving up.

And it came from nowhere.

This

Feed McGraw
19-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Surprised? No, not really. Seen that sort of thing from Hibs teams before over the years, i.e. win at somewhere like Ibrox for example and then fall flat on their face, at home, the following week.

Disappointed and pissed off? Yes, definitely. THIS !! But stupidly thought this Hibs team might be different. Hopefully they might yet prove they are !

DH1875
19-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I was genuinely surprised. Thought we'd put this sort of stuff to bed, especially with Lennon in charge.

EH54
19-08-2017, 07:55 PM
I was genuinely surprised. Thought we'd put this sort of stuff to bed, especially with Lennon in charge.

This

james62
19-08-2017, 07:57 PM
There's no getting away from the fact that today (the 2nd half in particular) we were awful. However I thought today it was a case of a lot of decent players who happened to have a bad game, I'm confident that Lennon will let the players know that today wasn't good enough and next week will see a massive improvement

Ronniekirk
19-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Am gutted I thought maybe we would get a draw if we had a bad day at the office But didn't see that lacklustre performance coming and to be 3 goals behind a team that was nearly relegated last season
Going three at the back just didn't work
Hanlons mistake was a shocker, but he isn't long back from a long spell out .
But we created so little during the game ,yet when we scored the goal ,it was so direct and simple ,but maybe they had switched off by then
But the acid test was always going to be how we reacted after a defeat, so Dundee away will tell us a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
19-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Saved me saying it.

NAE NOOKIE
20-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Surprised? ... No .... even very very good Hibs teams have been capable of performances like that over the years.

Disappointed ... Yes ... After a good start to the season we have put in a performance where everybody apart from Marciano was at best average individually and where as a unit we were close to shambolic in the 2nd half ... a pub league team could have exploited the huge gaps we left at the back at times.

What will surprise me is if we aren't able to put that shocking performance behind us, we are a far far better team than we showed yesterday and there isn't a player who took part who wouldn't admit they were below par.

Sammy7nil
20-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Yes I was.

I honestly thought this Hibs team had a lot more about them to be capable of such a lacklustre performance.

I agree. Yip totally surprised even more so by the manner of the defeat. Never in a million years did i see them scoring three and Hibs being so far off the pace.

20-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Had it been before relegation then no, that was classic hibs back then, get a big win one week then crashing back down the earth against a smaller team at home the next week but as another poster rightly said, I thought we were past that now. Lennon has lambasted them before about being able to get themselves up for the big, more glamerous games and not for the games against the smaller teams but clearly the problem still exists. Absolutely night and day from how we were at Ibrox.

If we are gonna establish ourselves as a permanent Premiership club again and be up challenging in at least the top 6 (which is a minamum of where we should be aiming to be) then we have to take every game seriously. It's all very well and good getting up for the derbies or the OF games but they only account for a certain amount of games.

Spike Mandela
20-08-2017, 04:07 PM
People are always far too quick to judge the merits of a team. A good pre season and a couple of wins to start the season including a win at Ibrox had some people drooling and proclaiming how a Lennon team would be hard to beat and hates losing and a multitude of other platitudes.

I myself went along yesterday expecting the new Hibs team to roll over Hamilton but left with a pointed reminder that last year I though Lennon's Hibs were effective but unspectacular and imo won the league in spite of it's shortcomings.

I am still optimistic about this squad but 10-12 games in will give us a clearer idea of whether we can expect more game like the first two or more games like yesterday.

Gogs07
20-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Looked as if the players had been out on the lash on Friday night!

Slow motion going forward and drunk defending!

Thecat23
20-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Surprised? ... No .... even very very good Hibs teams have been capable of performances like that over the years.

Disappointed ... Yes ... After a good start to the season we have put in a performance where everybody apart from Marciano was at best average individually and where as a unit we were close to shambolic in the 2nd half ... a pub league team could have exploited the huge gaps we left at the back at times.

What will surprise me is if we aren't able to put that shocking performance behind us, we are a far far better team than we showed yesterday and there isn't a player who took part who wouldn't admit they were below par.

Great post 👍🏼

scoopyboy
21-08-2017, 09:00 AM
I was surprised and disappointed.

Thought we were mentally stronger, after Saturday not so sure.

Hopefully a one off.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 09:51 AM

Hopefully a one off.

Same here, I couldn't see that one coming.

After Ibrox, I had bought into the Lenny had made us mentally tougher mantra, Saturday was a shocker and that kind of lacklustre performance hasn't been seen since the Butcher days.

Hopefully, a one off as you say.

Gatecrasher
21-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Hopefully a one off.

Agreed, along with that it wasn't really the defeat its self (that was bad enough) it was the manner of the performance that shocked me.

The_Horde
21-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Same here, I couldn't see that one coming.

After Ibrox, I had bought into the Lenny had made us mentally tougher mantra, Saturday was a shocker and that kind of lacklustre performance hasn't been seen since the Butcher days.

Hopefully, a one off as you say.

Don't think it was a case of not being mentally strong, think we just had too many big players not up to it on the day. That, and the fact we haven't addressed the leaky back door situation which was always likely to bite us the minute we had an off day.

neil7908
21-08-2017, 10:05 AM
To be honest yes I was surprised. Probably shouldn't be but I think I was guilty of under estimating Hamilton and thinking Lennon wouldn't allow one of his teams to be so meek.

Super_JMcGinn
21-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Don't think it was a case of not being mentally strong, think we just had too many big players not up to it on the day. That, and the fact we haven't addressed the leaky back door situation which was always likely to bite us the minute we had an off day.

I agree about the leaky defence part, but those players should have come out the traps 10 feet tall after the win at Ibrox.

They had a chance to lay down a marker and make a statement of intent if they had any ambition of finishing top 3.

Sadly I think it went out the window with that performance, time will tell.

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I said to my mate before the Hamilton game that It would be a big test for us.

I wasn't surprised we got beat but was surprised and shocked at the manner in which we got beat. I was under the impression (especially under NL) that these type of performances wouldn't be tolerated.

I realise we can't win all the time and at some point we'd get beat but I just don't understand the lack of desire on Sat, especially at home in front of a big crowd!

Brooster
21-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I was surprised. I didnt think we could be that bad but I was wrong. Hamilton destroyed us and 3-1 makes us look better than we were. Theres a few guys in there who are not fit and a couple who are not good enough.

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Its obviously hugely disappointing to lose like we did on saturday, especially after the start we made in the previous two games, but we havent become a bad side over night and Im confident we will pick oursleves up and put things right quickly. Who knows in the long run it might be the kick up the backside we needed and provide a good lesson that we cant take anything for granted in this league. Football being football these results happen and we will inevitably lose games (Aberdeen finsihed second last season and lost 10 matches, St Johnstone finished in a very commendable fourth place but still lost 14 league games).

As fans of course, especially in this media savy era, we will chew the fat over each game and offer our opinions as to what went right or wrong, nothing wrong with that IMO.

Looking forward to next weekend already.

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2017, 10:26 AM
I was surprised and ahm still pissed off at it. The fact we were beaten so easily and the fact lennon didnae beat them up at half time was also surprising. If as he has also said he had seen complacancy creeping in during training, then it was his job tae bloody well deal with it. Hopefully Neil and the team learn from it and it wont be tolerated again.
Taking nothing away from Hamiltons win though, well done on a good result.