PDA

View Full Version : We thought it would be too easy

G B Young
19-08-2017, 05:18 PM
After 24 goals in our opening 7 league and cup games, today's dire result can only have come about through complacency.

Reminds me of the Ayr United game last season after we'd won our first five games in a row and a huge crowd rolled up to see us make it six. While we would probably actually have done so had Marv not been wrongly sent off the overall display that day was woeful.

Wasn't at the game today but it sounded like a similarly inept performance and without taking anything away from what must have been a fine Hamilton performance, with the experience in our squad we simply should not be letting standards slip quite so dramatically. 'Wake up call' just doesn't wash.

I have no doubt the players were well warned about throwing away a lot of the good work already done this season and while some are arguing the team/formation was wrong the bottom line is it must come down to mentality. This is the strongest Hibs squad for many years and should be well capable of finding a way to see off Hamilton.

High-On-Hibs
19-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Agreed, no we shouldn't. Especially on our own patch with 16,000+ supporters behind the team. What Lennon said was right as well. We shouldn't go into games expecting to beat anyone. We need to earn it each and every time. It won't always be pretty. It doesn't always have to be pretty. What matters is playing the way you need to play based on the opposition you are up against in order to get the results.

Sir David Gray
19-08-2017, 05:28 PM
You can only put it down to complacency and that's unacceptable.

We had the wrong attitude from the start and got exactly what we deserved.

Well done Hamilton, they played very well in the second half and were certainly the worthy winners this afternoon.

Big wake up call for the players today, just hope they react to it.

Slavers
19-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Yep Hibs blew a few coupons today. It's early in the season and I think a bit of complacency kept in due to the winning run we have been on.

The SPL is a step up its going to be an interesting season as any off days are going to be punished like today.

We have a good squad let's see how they react next week. A win and it's all rosey again.

emerald green
19-08-2017, 05:37 PM
If the players thought "it would be too easy" then that is ridiculous and highly unprofessional, and they haven't been taking on board what Neil Lennon had been saying all week.

If some fans thought "it would be too easy" then count this one out. I certainly didn't think that.

HappyAsHellas
19-08-2017, 05:41 PM
I imagine it must have been complacency as Hamilton won about every second ball today. They had a work ethic and determination, both of which were sadly lacking in our performance today.

hibee_girl
19-08-2017, 05:49 PM
I imagine it must have been complacency as Hamilton won about every second ball today. They had a work ethic and determination, both of which were sadly lacking in our performance today.

:agree:

The Hamilton players were more up for it today, ours looked slow and uninterested.

Steve20
19-08-2017, 05:53 PM
You can't think a game will be too easy when you've spent three years in the lower leagues. Players need a word with themselves if that's it.

Today was disgraceful but if we win at Dundee, we're back on track.

Hi Heid Yin
19-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Sometimes one has to accept that the opposition outplayed and outfought us.
Hamilton totally deserved their victory by keeping us shackled for the first half and then out-muscling and out-thinking us in the 2nd.
The turning point, for me, was Hanlon's howler, gifting them their 2nd goal. From then on we had to throw caution to the wind and simply go for it.
Their game plan worked to perfection - picking us off with players to spare as so many of our lads were caught too far upfield. They harried us and forced us into errors all over the park.
It was a throughly professional performance from the Accies - and one to be respected.
On the way out I actually shook hands with a couple of their fans and told them that they beat us fair and square.
They thanked me for this and told me that they are pleased with their new recruits and the way they have started the season, but also disappointed to concede a late goal, courtesy of Stokes.

Onion
19-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Typical of Hibs teams down the generations - great performance against the OF, then fall on their face against smaller / easier teams the next week. Would have been more surprising had we won today.

emerald green
19-08-2017, 06:03 PM
:agree:

The Hamilton players were more up for it today, ours looked slow and uninterested.

That's the bit that I can't get my head around.

Hibs slow and lethargic start to the second half, in particular, was when the game was won and lost.

where'stheslope
19-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Though it was a poor result today, we have to get our players in a mindset that teams will come to Easter Road and play everyone behind the ball, then catch us on the break when we throw our players forward leaving gaps.
Its great to play total silky football, but you can still come second in a two horse race if you don't watch how the other team plays and shuffle the players around to counter.
Hopefully this is only a small blip, but if lessons are learned it can be onward and upward.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 06:10 PM
If the players thought "it would be too easy" then that is ridiculous and highly unprofessional, and they haven't been taking on board what Neil Lennon had been saying all week.

If some fans thought "it would be too easy" then count this one out. I certainly didn't think that.I got shot down in the cup draw thread a few weeks ago for suggesting those who said we r already in the semi finals should be less arrogant and over confident. Today proved exactly why I said that?? We aren't that good that we can expect to just turn up and roll some teams over...clearly the players thought that was the case today...we got what we deserved absolutely

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SonOfDavidFrancey
19-08-2017, 06:13 PM
I think it might be easy to say, but there seemed to be an air of complacency/ lethargy. Perhaps if NL had spent more of the week with the team and less with press interviews about last week, champions League punditry etc? As said, easy to say. Hamilton were quite good and we were not at the races.

Famous Fiver
19-08-2017, 06:19 PM
If OP thinks he is talking for all Hibs supporters he has a problem. Hamilton are no mugs and this should have been apparent before the game.

They are a streetwise, experienced team who got the breaks, made us pay, and strolled it at the finish. They walloped Dundee and only narrowly lost to Aberdeen.

We need pace in our team. Too many old legs and Hamilton played on it. Isolated Murray, crowded midfield and got at defenders who always wanted too much time. We missed Boyle, Barker hardly whimpered never mind bark.

NL has a lot of thinking to do.

greenlex
19-08-2017, 08:10 PM
We were waiting fir it to happen rather than making it happen. Only Slivka and Barker with possibly Mc Ginn getting passmarks from me today. Piss poor.

cleanyman
19-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Marciano summed it up well after the match

This does need addressed though as this could be a regular theme this season

Nakedmanoncrack
19-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Though it was a poor result today, we have to get our players in a mindset that teams will come to Easter Road and play everyone behind the ball, then catch us on the break when we throw our players forward leaving gaps.
Its great to play total silky football, but you can still come second in a two horse race if you don't watch how the other team plays and shuffle the players around to counter.
Hopefully this is only a small blip, but if lessons are learned it can be onward and upward.

To be fair, I don't think Hamilton kept everyone behind the ball & hit on the break, they totally dominated that second half.

G B Young
19-08-2017, 08:16 PM
If OP thinks he is talking for all Hibs supporters he has a problem. Hamilton are no mugs and this should have been apparent before the game.

They are a streetwise, experienced team who got the breaks, made us pay, and strolled it at the finish. They walloped Dundee and only narrowly lost to Aberdeen.

We need pace in our team. Too many old legs and Hamilton played on it. Isolated Murray, crowded midfield and got at defenders who always wanted too much time. We missed Boyle, Barker hardly whimpered never mind bark.

I'm talking about the players, not the fans. I doubt there is such a thing as a complacent Hibs fan, although having been a little wary myself ahead of the Partick game I'd been persuaded by the way we started the season that this really was the 'new' Hibs, with a Lennon-inspired winning mentality. Today has jolted me out of that.

heretoday
19-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Well if anyone can sort this it's Lennon.

We should have been leading at half-time.

We never started the second half.

neil7908
19-08-2017, 08:22 PM
The thing that frustrates me is that we had literally x10 as many fans at Easter Road today as Hamilton did in their last home game vs Dundee.

And they played us off the park today. It wasn't just a lucky win, or them kicking lumps out of us. Some of the football they played was really impressive, particularly their 3rd goal.

I'm the first to complain about the financial gap between Celtic and the rest but given the difference between our budget and Hamiltons, it really frustrates me the last two times we've played them, both a home, we've lost 0-2 and 1-3.

Sir David Gray
19-08-2017, 09:19 PM
The thing that frustrates me is that we had literally x10 as many fans at Easter Road today as Hamilton did in their last home game vs Dundee.

And they played us off the park today. It wasn't just a lucky win, or them kicking lumps out of us. Some of the football they played was really impressive, particularly their 3rd goal.

I'm the first to complain about the financial gap between Celtic and the rest but given the difference between our budget and Hamiltons, it really frustrates me the last two times we've played them, both a home, we've lost 0-2 and 1-3.

Rangers had 49 times as many fans as we did last week and it didn't do much to help them.

Having a large support is great but if the players don't turn up, it's meaningless.

MichaelTheCelt
19-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Rangers had 49 times as many fans as we did last week and it didn't do much to help them.

Having a large support is great but if the players don't turn up, it's meaningless.

Your own support can also work against you at times, players can feel fans getting on their backs. Adds a lot of pressure to players, it really is just as you say if they players turn up support shouldn't matter.

neil7908
19-08-2017, 09:41 PM

I was comparing our home attendance versus there last home game. So a better comparison would be Rangers having x3 as many as us.

Given the last time we played Hamilton at ER this was a game I really wanted to win and the fan comparison is just an example to show how much more support (and therefore resources) we have.

I'm not slitting my wrists tonight but like I said it's a game I wanted to win and it's not just the fact we lost, it's that we were outplayed, out thought and out fought.

ShadesLongThrow
19-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Whilst frustrating to watch, I thought Canning had really done his homework on us and Hamilton doubled or even tripled up on both Murray and McGinn whenever they got the ball. Taking these 2 out of the game meant we had nothing to offer going forward, either driving from midfield or in front of goals.

I actually counted the Hamilton players at one point in the second half as I was convinced there were more than eleven of them on the park!

IberianHibernian
19-08-2017, 09:52 PM

I'm the first to complain about the financial gap between Celtic and the rest but given the difference between our budget and Hamiltons, it really frustrates me the last two times we've played them, both a home, we've lost 0-2 and 1-3.The financial advantage we have over Hamilton ; Ross County , St Johnstone etc may mean an advantage over the whole season as we have a stronger squad but Scottish clubs except Celtic ( and maybe The Rangers but to a much lesser extent ) can`t afford to sign players who will make a significant difference so we might pay players 1500 pounds per week and Hamilton half that but neither wage will attract players of a high enough level to make a big difference . We can sign eg Danny Swanson weakening St Johnstone at the same time but he`s hopefully going to help us into Europe but he`s unlikely to improve enough to help us challenge Celtic for league .

Deansy
19-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I just hope today's result sees an end to our players giving interviews where they state we are going to do this/that this season - it's ok for them as they're not the ones who have to walk into the office/factory/shop etc on a Monday-morning !

Jones28
19-08-2017, 10:13 PM
What pissed me off most today wasn't that we lost but the manner in which we lost. Meekly surrendering goals and creating nothing apart from a consolation at the end.

emerald green
20-08-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm talking about the players, not the fans. I doubt there is such a thing as a complacent Hibs fan, although having been a little wary myself ahead of the Partick game I'd been persuaded by the way we started the season that this really was the 'new' Hibs, with a Lennon-inspired winning mentality. Today has jolted me out of that.

The bit in bold - I think you would be wrong there.

Have you not read some of the silly comments made by some people on here? For example, one genius referred to Hamilton as a "pub team" yesterday after watching them completely outplay Hibs. On our pitch.

Wait until we have to play the "pub team" on their artificial surface.

CockneyRebel
20-08-2017, 10:45 AM

We should have had a penalty first half and Murray should have scored with his header - would have been a different game from 2 nil up. But in the end we got what we deserved, Lennon was outhought and the team were outfought.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Seen a few posts on other threads that make comments about the "likes" of Hamilton. If there are any players who think the same, we have to get that addressed asap. Expectations need to be set. Some posters are already talking about whether we will be second or third. Really?