PDA

View Full Version : Best defensive configuration

AgentDaleCooper
19-08-2017, 04:52 PM
IMO, effe needs dropped and gray brought in at RB, with whitty moving to right mid or just being dropped as well. 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 please :aok:

SChibs
19-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Gray, ambrose, Hanlon, stevenson.

Pete
19-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Start the list with Darren McGregor.

alihibs1
19-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Gray, ambrose, Hanlon, stevenson.Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Smartie
19-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson.

Bartley in front of that 4 makes for a very solid unit indeed.

neil7908
19-08-2017, 04:59 PM
We've conceded first in every league game this season so something is definitely not right

neil7908
19-08-2017, 05:02 PM
I like 4-3-3 with Bartley in the middle.

A lot of folk dropping Efe but I'm not sure. Today McGregor conceded the penalty and Hanlon gave the ball away for the second.

Smartie
19-08-2017, 05:07 PM

A lot of folk dropping Efe but I'm not sure. Today Hanlon conceded the penalty and Hanlon gave the ball away for the second.

It's a strange thing to say, but apart from the 2 howlers you mention (I know, I know) I thought Hanlon had a generally good game.

I've never been convinced by Ambrose and McGregor together but I think McGregor and Hanlon is our best pairing.

ajf
19-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Gray McGregor Fontaine Whittaker

500miles
19-08-2017, 05:21 PM
It's really horses for courses. The back three wasn't really the problem today, but rather that we couldn't get an outball and some individuals wanted too much time. I would've swapped Whittaker for Gray to win the knockdown when Rocky was kicking out though, as Stokes movement was poor, wasting Whittaker's long passes, making him ineffective.

The problems arose when we put Efe to right back, pushed Whittaker up, and the midfield stopped tracking their runners. Hamilton are quick on the counter.

biotech
19-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Think we need to accept we have full backs in the squad not wing backs - play a flat back four and defensive midfielder.

wookie70
19-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Gray Daz Hanlon Stevenson

First name would be Daz as he is a fantastic defender. Both Gray and Stevenson are very good when played at full back and Hanlon gives us a quality outball and a great understanding in the middle with Daz. Effe and Daz don't seem to work.

gaz1875
19-08-2017, 05:26 PM
I thought Daz was injured? could only have been the reason he was subbed, Hanlon, Whittaker and Efe were all over the place today, whether it was the wind on the pitch.

Smartie
19-08-2017, 05:35 PM
I thought Daz was injured? could only have been the reason he was subbed, Hanlon, Whittaker and Efe were all over the place today, whether it was the wind on the pitch.

The defence had done ok until we were 1-0 down and McGregor went off. Hanlon put a bit of a rash challenge in for the penalty but the defence were solid for the first half and had stood up to a decent onslaught at the start of the second half.

The players you mention only fell to pieces after McGregor went off.

They were all over the place after that though.

There wasn't really any excuse for a lot of what was going on.

AgentDaleCooper
19-08-2017, 06:09 PM

A lot of folk dropping Efe but I'm not sure. Today McGregor conceded the penalty and Hanlon gave the ball away for the second.

this is true, but look at how many times Efe lost the ball. He's a very weird player - part genius, part bombscare.

AlbertK86
19-08-2017, 06:16 PM
The defence had done ok until we were 1-0 down and McGregor went off. Hanlon put a bit of a rash challenge in for the penalty but the defence were solid for the first half and had stood up to a decent onslaught at the start of the second half. The players you mention only fell to pieces after McGregor went off. They were all over the place after that though. There wasn't really any excuse for a lot of what was going on.

Maybe I'm wrong but thought Daz gave the pen away.

Hanlon should be sweeping behind Daz and Efe/Fonts

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Smartie
19-08-2017, 06:16 PM
this is true, but look at how many times Efe lost the ball. He's a very weird player - part genius, part bombscare.

I thought he was playing within himself a bit last season - he looked like he was rebuilding his fragile confidence and stuck to doing the basics. At times I wanted him to take MORE risks as he's clearly a very talented player and is great to watch when it comes off. It can also create pretty promising situations for us when he strides forward with the ball.

This season though I think there has already been too much nonsense. He starts games atrociously and has made serious mistakes in the first 10 minutes of all of our games so far.

He needs to give himself a shake.

It's not as if we don't have perfectly adequate options of playing 2 centre-halves or sticking Fontaine or Porteous in there.

Hfcwilson3192
19-08-2017, 06:21 PM
IMO, effe needs dropped and gray brought in at RB, with whitty moving to right mid or just being dropped as well. 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 please :aok:
We need a left back and another centre back to partner mcgregor.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 10:22 PM
The defence had done ok until we were 1-0 down and McGregor went off. Hanlon put a bit of a rash challenge in for the penalty but the defence were solid for the first half and had stood up to a decent onslaught at the start of the second half.

The players you mention only fell to pieces after McGregor went off.

They were all over the place after that though.

There wasn't really any excuse for a lot of what was going on.McGregor gave away the pen mate not Hanlon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 10:24 PM

This

J-C
19-08-2017, 10:33 PM
I'm beginning to see what people say about Ambrose being a bombscare at times, today he continually tried to play his way out of tricky situations and either lost the ball or put us in bother, I think he thinks he's better than he is. For me the back 4 of Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson is our best balanced defence.

S4uzee
19-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Mcgregor getting taken off today was shocking. Our best defender!

cabbageandribs1875
19-08-2017, 10:47 PM

i think it was for his own good tbf

penihibs
19-08-2017, 10:59 PM

Went straight down the tunnel...

pacoluna
19-08-2017, 11:04 PM
I'm beginning to see what people say about Ambrose being a bombscare at times, today he continually tried to play his way out of tricky situations and either lost the ball or put us in bother, I think he thinks he's better than he is. For me the back 4 of Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson is our best balanced defence.
There was two bombscare moments today that lead to Goals. Neither were by Ambrose.

AgentDaleCooper
20-08-2017, 12:40 AM
We need a left back and another centre back to partner mcgregor.

there has never been a problem with hanlon and mcgreggor paired at CB imo, Efe is a great player but also a bit of a luxury at times, since he often overcomplicates things to the detriment of the team. i would be a bag of nerves playing next to him - some times his play is a joy to behold, but at least 1/3 of the time he does something that requires either himself or someone else to tidy things up.

Mibbes Aye
20-08-2017, 01:09 AM
We don't have a 'best defensive configuration' and perhaps nor should we.

We've got different options for three or four at the back, and given injuries and fitness, plus how our opponents line up, then NL picks the best shape for any given game.

My concern is we are strong in the middle of defence and see Whittaker as cover on either flank. I would rather see Whitttaker playing more through the middle. That would leave us light on the flanks though.

With regard to Efe, thank **** we are arguing about whether Hibs should have a centre-half who can run with a ball.

Yes, some of his distribution left a lot to be desired. Practically every one of his teammates were at fault for that as well.

NZ Green
20-08-2017, 01:38 AM
There was two bombscare moments today that lead to Goals. Neither were by Ambrose.
I agree, he had a 2 or 3 panic moments like the rest, bust nothing too nail biting. I think he did alot more than most to defend any Hamilton balls in the box, particularly the Hamilton corners. He's a unit and we need him.

Steve20
20-08-2017, 05:18 AM
People talking about dropping Ambrose? Really? Hanlon was the one all over the place more than Ambrose.

Libby Hibby
20-08-2017, 06:15 AM
As much as I think PH has improved in the last few years he has still to prove himself at Premiership level imo and yesterday was an example of his past frailties.

heretoday
20-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Efe could play further forward.

overdrive
20-08-2017, 09:06 AM
I actually prefer Efe at right back than centre half but certainly not ahead of Gray or possibly even Whittaker.

I would prefer a back 4, but if we play a three, no way should McGregor be in the middle of the 3, it should be Hanlon or Ambrose.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
20-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Back to basics - stevenson, mcgregor, hanlon amd gray flat back four.

If three, i prefer hanlon as the spare man and McGregor marking.

Nicho87
20-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I'd actually go Gray McGregor Fontaine stevenson

broondog
20-08-2017, 09:14 AM
I remember being ridiculed on here when he first signed for saying he is an abysmal player and would struggle at this level.

Glad everyone now agrees. never a player in a million years and should be dropped and punted asap

Danderhall Hibs
20-08-2017, 09:33 AM
I remember being ridiculed on here when he first signed for saying he is an abysmal player and would struggle at this level.

Glad everyone now agrees. never a player in a million years and should be dropped and punted asap

I'm assuming you're talking about Ambrose and not Hanlon or McGregor and I don't think everyone agrees?

bigwheel
20-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Can't imagine why you get ridiculed for posts like these

Jones28
20-08-2017, 09:35 AM
I would bring Fontaine in next week. Give him a crack at it. Partner with Mcgrogor.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-08-2017, 09:40 AM
We don't have a 'best defensive configuration' and perhaps nor should we.

We've got different options for three or four at the back, and given injuries and fitness, plus how our opponents line up, then NL picks the best shape for any given game.

My concern is we are strong in the middle of defence and see Whittaker as cover on either flank. I would rather see Whitttaker playing more through the middle. That would leave us light on the flanks though.

With regard to Efe, thank **** we are arguing about whether Hibs should have a centre-half who can run with a ball.

Yes, some of his distribution left a lot to be desired. Practically every one of his teammates were at fault for that as well.

Excellent post. I'd been gonna construct something similar.

We'll play against teams of different quality so we'll alter formation and personnel to suit.

My query, and although I wasn't there so can't pass judgement is why we played with 5 defenders against Hamilton at home? Inc GK more than half our team were defensively minded. Now we can say we didn't do the basics, didn't want it enough but having Sliv, Dylan and SJM in the middle then Stokesy, Swanson and Murray up top would have given us a completely different dimension and gave Hamilton a bit of a headache imo.

I also understand that this formation has worked against "lesser" teams before but my belief is that whilst it's a good formation we only "need" to use it against teams we know are going to attack for 90 mins.

AgentDaleCooper
20-08-2017, 10:21 AM

I definitely disagree with this.

scooby
20-08-2017, 10:43 AM

100% this. For me, Whittaker has been poor defensively.