PDA

View Full Version : Why did you change it Neil?

green with envy
19-08-2017, 04:29 PM
I was puzzled before a ball was even kicked when I read that Danny Swanson was in for Vykintas Slivka.

Swanson has still to impress me and Slivka has every time he's played his part, including when he came on today.

Bad day at the races all round but we'll move on and hope for a better performance and result next Sunday.

High-On-Hibs
19-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Who knows? Perhaps he picked up a minor knock at Ibrox and Lennon didn't want to risk playing him from the very start? :dunno:

ggth
19-08-2017, 04:37 PM
I was puzzled before a ball was even kicked when I read that Danny Swanson was in for Vykintas Slivka.

Swanson has still to impress me and Slivka has every time he's played his part, including when he came on today.

Bad day at the races all round but we'll move on and hope for a better performance and result next Sunday.

I was thinking the same, Swanson has been very poor since his arrival, reckon he needs a goal to settle him down

confused
19-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Who knows? Perhaps he picked up a minor knock at Ibrox and Lennon didn't want to risk playing him from the very start? :dunno:
If that was the case then why put him on the bench ? Is that not why we have a pool of players ?

davhibby
19-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Midfield were overrun, going man for man when you've got Swanson as one of the 3 was never going to work

Bishop Hibee
19-08-2017, 04:43 PM
It worked ok first half. Second half they stepped it up and we couldn't cope. Swanson seems to be the scapegoat. Stokes was like playing with 10 men at times today. Doesn't look match fit and dropped far too deep leaving Murray isolated. Too many poor individual performances second half.

Pete
19-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Indeed. We're dealing with human beings here, not playing computer games.

Keith_M
19-08-2017, 04:48 PM
The team on the pitch should have had more than enough to beat Hamilton.

rcarter1
19-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Swanson seems to need confidence. Maybe Neil thought that the team would perform well, and allow Swanson the opportunity to feed off the team. Clearly that didnt happen.... We may see a lot more of Slivka now.

wookie70
19-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Could be a few reasons why he dropped Slivka but it turned out to be a costly mistake. Swanson though deserves less criticism than a few today as his work rate was excellent. Stokes looked like he was on holiday and Simon Murray lacked energy too.

cabbageandribs1875
19-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Midfield were overrun, going man for man when you've got Swanson as one of the 3 was never going to work

this :agree: and every loose ball went to a hamilton player, our players appeared to have been introduced to each other for the first time today, whilst their passing was crisp and precise and they fully deserved their 3 points, lord knows what on earth McGregor(the penalty) and Hanlon(stray pass) were thinking

WillowbraeHibby
19-08-2017, 05:12 PM
this :agree: and every loose ball went to a hamilton player, our players appeared to have been introduced to each other for the first time today, whilst their passing was crisp and precise and they fully deserved their 3 points, lord knows what on earth McGregor(the penalty) and Hanlon(stray pass) were thinking

Bottom line, the players not only let the support down, but themselves....

rcarter1
19-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Mr M Bartley, we need you now...

Nicho87
19-08-2017, 05:17 PM
3-5-2 at home for me is a no no against teams out with the old firm

spudhib
19-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Mr M Bartley, we need you now...

As well as Mr Boyle.

fife hfc
19-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Hamilton bossed the midfield and it was obvious they were going to be strong physically and well organised with a lot of energy. That is why Slivka should have started as Swanson and Mcgeouch are not battling and physical players. Lennon got it wrong today as he should have played a back four with Slivka and McGinn (who was over run today) providing the energy and athleticism which would have allowed Mcgeouch and Swanson more of a chance to assert their influence.

Up The Bracket
19-08-2017, 05:32 PM
If Slivka had started we would have been shouting for Boyle and Bartley, if Boyle and Bartley were playing we'd have been calling for whoever wasn't playing, it's funny how players suddenly become world beaters when they get dropped/are out injured and we get beat.

We were rotten today and would have lost regardless of who we started or who we had fit, game plan was all wrong, players didn't seem to be with it and for me the manager didn't get them up for the game and god knows what he said to them at half time.

Joe6-2
19-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Has NL spoken yet?

WillowbraeHibby
19-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Bottom line, the players not only let the support down, but themselves....

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Not sure many of us would have went with 3 at the back against Hamilton, no need really for another defender.

First half it was all Hibs without a cutting edge. 2nd half we were all over the place and looked like a team who had never played together, shocking from all over the park.

Shows us that we have a long way to go to thinking we have a devine right to finish in top half of our league.

Hfcwilson3192
19-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Yi canny blame Lennon for this. The players didn't want it enough end of story.

DR1875
19-08-2017, 07:11 PM
The diamond in the middle left a huge space in midfield. With Swanson too far forward. Missing Bartley for cover mopping up players miss timed passes.

lord bunberry
19-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Yi canny blame Lennon for this. The players didn't want it enough end of story.
I don't blame him, but he didn't cover himself in glory today. There was absolutely no need for three centre halves at home to Hamilton. We were taught a lesson today by a team that knew what was required to get the job done. We need to learn and move on.

Weir07
19-08-2017, 08:18 PM
3-5-2 at home for me is a no no against teams out with the old firm
Yep, 100% agree, really dislike the formation unless you're up against a stronger team, tried it a few times last season with limited success

green with envy
19-08-2017, 08:25 PM
If Slivka had started we would have been shouting for Boyle and Bartley, if Boyle and Bartley were playing we'd have been calling for whoever wasn't playing, it's funny how players suddenly become world beaters when they get dropped/are out injured and we get beat.

We were rotten today and would have lost regardless of who we started or who we had fit, game plan was all wrong, players didn't seem to be with it and for me the manager didn't get them up for the game and god knows what he said to them at half time.

Certainly wasn't the point I was making. I was at ibrox last week and for me Slivka was my man of the match hence why I was surprised he was dropped.

Captain Trips
19-08-2017, 08:31 PM
We have a squad to use we should be more than capable of winning games with todays 11.

There was a lot more wrong today than Slivkas omission.

Smartie
19-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Yep, 100% agree, really dislike the formation unless you're up against a stronger team, tried it a few times last season with limited success

I think we've played our best football this season with a 3-5-2, including some of the League Cup games against weaker opposition.

I don't really know what went wrong today, but I don't think it was much to do with the formation.

We certainly didn't improve when we changed it during the second half, quite the opposite.

Weir07
19-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Respect your opinion but having 6 defensive players out of 11 on the pitch is not conducive to attacking play, if the formation is 352 then have two wide midfielders not two fullbacks, games are won and lost in midfield.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Yi canny blame Lennon for this. The players didn't want it enough end of story.He signs and picks those players, he gets credit when they win he deserves criticism when we lose.

Slivka should've kept his place 100%

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Respect your opinion but having 6 defensive players out of 11 on the pitch is not conducive to attacking play, if the formation is 352 then have two wide midfielders not two fullbacks, games are won and lost in midfield.Is it conductive to defensive play? Is that why we lost 3 goals?

The amount of attackers, defenders and midfielders doesn't matter one little bit if they all play *****.

Big L
19-08-2017, 09:21 PM
He signs and picks those players, he gets credit when they win he deserves criticism when we lose.

Slivka should've kept his place 100%

This. 1st name on the sheet after his Ibrox performance. Type of player you build your team around, not leave on the bench.

Weir07
19-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Is it conductive to defensive play? Is that why we lost 3 goals?

The amount of attackers, defenders and midfielders doesn't matter one little bit if they all play *****.
Yep, you do have a point, formations are secondary to players application and attitude, still personally dislike 532

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Yep, you do have a point, formations are secondary to players application and attitude, still personally dislike 532Yeah, I can see why people dislike it but today is a bad day to make judgement one way or another.

If the players all turn up and play well and we still lose, then you can ask questions of instructions and formations.

Jones28
19-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Accies went man for man and individually we have better players than them all over the pitch but as a team they worked so much harder than us. They were on us from the get go and I think it started to tell as we were making mistakes constantly.

Tactics mean sweet FA when your players can't be arsed.

mca
19-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Had a Blue nosed weegie relative Text me before the game.. He Said - This is Lennys Punishment.. !!!

I Didn't Bite / respond as I Expected a Win or at least a Draw tbh...

I Text him afterwards.. Saying.. " Nice Prediction - hope you won at the bookies "..

he said - Lenny was either a 3 game ban or Lose 3 points in the aftermath of Hibees 3 rangers 2 .. :singing:

" Did Lennon set you up to lose " - was the next..

feels like it tbh..

:confused:

Weir07
19-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I can see why people dislike it but today is a bad day to make judgement one way or another.

If the players all turn up and play well and we still lose, then you can ask questions of instructions and formations.
A gentleman that knows the game! Good debate!

majorhibs
19-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Yep, you do have a point, formations are secondary to players application and attitude, still personally dislike 532

Some slavers! Managers set up whatever to win! Name of game! They had us today. Canning had Lennon. Easy to see. Very easy.

fife hfc
20-08-2017, 06:22 AM
The diamond in the middle left a huge space in midfield. With Swanson too far forward. Missing Bartley for cover mopping up players miss timed passes.

The midfield was the issue today. McGinn and Mcgeouch outnumbered and over run by a physical(not dirty) and well organised Accies midfield. Swanson and Mcgeouch are not the best defensive players so Accies gained control. Whether through changing to a back four or replacing Swanson with Slivka it would have given us the other body in The middle of the park we desperately needed. Bartley was a big miss .

Libby Hibby
20-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Darrion MacKinnon bullied our starting midfield yesterday. We battled better after the introduction of Slivka and if Bartley was available then MacKinnon would of been dealt with.

Midfield is where games are won an lost and McGinn, McGeouch and Swanson simply weren't competing like previous weeks for whatever reason.

macca70
20-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Stevenson offered absolutely nothing going forward, if you are playing a back 3/5 then that left side has to be an attacking minded player, especially at home to Hamilton.

We were crying out for Lewis to go past a man or put in a decent cross.

I'd have changed Lewis for Barker at Half Time. I couldn't believe it when 2nd half started with same team and formation.

Hibbyradge
20-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Has NL spoken yet?

Yes.

He played Swanson instead of Slivka because he thought we'd have more of the ball than we did at Ibrox and Danny is more creative.

That seems to have been a reasonable assumption, but our players were completely off the pace.

Real Emerald
20-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I just realized this morning that I'd not worn my lucky boxers to the game yesterday. I have to apologize to the manager and all the players for taking the blame for yesterdays defeat when in actual fact a schoolboy error by me earlier in the day cost us dearly, sorry! :greengrin