PDA

View Full Version : Team selection

Diclonius
19-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Aside from our terrible mentality (i.e. We've beaten Rangers so we're untouchable) I reckon this was the main reason we lost.

1. Three at the back v ****ty wee defensive teams is pointless. Stop it, Lennon.

2. Why oh why oh why was our best player from last week dropped? That was a mental decision.

Aside from that - bad day at the office. Flat back 4 and Slivka v Dundee please.

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 04:43 PM
2017 and folk still think 3 defenders is some horrible negative formation. Chelsea strolled the league with it, Juventus have 5 titles in a row with it. Our execution was poor, not the idea.

Ozyhibby
19-08-2017, 04:51 PM
2017 and folk still think 3 defenders is some horrible negative formation. Chelsea strolled the league with it, Juventus have 5 titles in a row with it. Our execution was poor, not the idea.

I've no problem with 3 at the back but you need good wing backs to get the most from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
19-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Agree. If you play like that you can't afford to start lumping it or being dragged into a fight, especially when they've got heafers like that number five.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Agree. If you play like that you can't afford to start lumping it or being dragged into a fight, especially when they've got heafers like that number five.We just looked a man short in the middle of the park all day imo...Lennon should never have dropped Slivka from last week...we need either him or Bartley in there to allow the flair players time on the ball. Both Mcginn and Dylan were poor today and that's a big reason why. Swanson s early form is also a wee bit concerning...not happening for him so far

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eyrie
19-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Three at the back was intended to give us more players in an advanced position, and Whittaker was certainly playing like a right winger rather than a right back.

Real Emerald
19-08-2017, 07:12 PM
I think the problem has arisen due to the players we've singed. It was a no brainier employing top class professionals in Whitaker and Ambrose. However, we already have a decent back four with Stevenson, McGregor, Hanlon and Gray. Lennon put out a back 3 today of McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon but also incorporated Stevenson and Whitaker, which only left out gray. It was a team packed with defenders and with Dylan playing really deep that left us short in midfield and a defence all over the place,

Captain Trips
19-08-2017, 07:19 PM
We should be able to play various systems to decent effect with this squad. I see nothing wrong with 3 5 2 perhaps some individuals need to look at themselves this evening.

J-C
19-08-2017, 09:17 PM
If he's going to play 3 at the back then he needs to make it a 3-4-3

MyJo
20-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Everytime one of the back 3 was on the ball Hamilton had players in thier faces putting them under pressure, when we tried to play our way out of it we made mistakes and Hamilton punished us for it. Our midfield was non-existant to the extent that Stokes was dropping deeper and deeper to try and get on the ball while Murray was marked out of the game, as soon as he touched the ball Hamilton had 2 or 3 players on him.

5-3-2 is not the formation we should be using against Hamilton at home and when we do play that formation we need to have Bartley or Slivka in the midfield 3 rather than Swanson IMO.

Sammy7nil
20-08-2017, 08:54 AM
For me the problem is the wingbacks cant play that position they are simply not good enough. The formation also highlighted how much we missed Boyle we very seldom got in behind them or got to byline when we did we caused a few problems. Neither Whits and definetly not Stevenson will do that.

Since90+2
20-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Stevenson is not a wing back. It's been obvious for years now.

Lennon was awful tactically today , we hardly created a chance against Hamilton at home. Buck stops with the manager.

Nicho87
20-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Stevenson is not a wing back. It's been obvious for years now.

Lennon was awful tactically today , we hardly created a chance against Hamilton at home. Buck stops with the manager.
Totally agree. Should have been changed at half time. We created nothing.