PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

Ozyhibby
19-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Not based just on today because they were all terrible today except the subs but Whittaker is not a better option than Gray. He is poor defensively and offers nothing going forward. Everything done at 2 miles an hour.
I really thought he would be better than he is. Gray needs to be back in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
19-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Not based just on today because they were all terrible today except the subs but Whittaker is not a better option than Gray. He is poor defensively and offers nothing going forward. Everything done at 2 miles an hour.
I really thought he would be better than he is. Gray needs to be back in the team.

I'll be fair to him and say he was half decent in his first few games. I know he's older now but why is he terrified to take on a full back? I'd have Gray back in pronto, If anything though I'd have Stevenson dropped for Whittaker (I'm a massive Stevenson fan but today he was dreadful)

hibee_girl
19-08-2017, 04:08 PM
I don't think he's bad going forward, there were a couple of times he could have scored today.

Defensively Gray is streets ahead of him

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 04:09 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk100% it's affecting our defence badly...get SDG back in pronto

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

overdrive
19-08-2017, 04:15 PM
100% it's affecting our defence badly...get SDG back in pronto

And while we're at it, go back to a back 4!

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 04:19 PM
And while we're at it, go back to a back 4!Indeed...no need for a back 3 at home to Hamilton...back to a back 4 of Gray Hanlon Daz and lewy IMO

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Nothing going forward? A goal vs Partick?? Only chance we created first half from his pass??

We were bad enough without posting blatant lies.

California-Hibs
19-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Nothing going forward? A goal vs Partick?? Only chance we created first half from his pass??

This.

Stuart93
19-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Aye I thought Whittaker was one of our better players at times today

Tyler Durden
19-08-2017, 04:37 PM

You're going for it today with the knee jerk reactions huh? Whittaker was good first half, offered plenty going forward. Poor 2nd half

Fantastic against Partick and scored a goal that Gray would never have converted

Up The Bracket
19-08-2017, 04:38 PM

What a bizarre post

Ozyhibby
19-08-2017, 04:41 PM
You're going for it today with the knee jerk reactions huh? Whittaker was good first half, offered plenty going forward. Poor 2nd half

Fantastic against Partick and scored a goal that Gray would never have converted

He needs to stop standing watching while giving the opposition wingers as much time as they like to cross the ball. Happened twice today and was the reason for Sevco's 2nd goal last week.

Stevie Reid
19-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Didn't have a good second half but his quality is evident. Delighted we have him.

cleanyman
19-08-2017, 04:43 PM
SDG MUST return

If it's any consolation to Steven Whittaker Lewis Stevenson was even worse

-Jonesy-
19-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Couldn't tackle for toffee today

Bishop Hibee
19-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Whittaker was our best player today in my opinion.

overdrive
19-08-2017, 04:46 PM
My main issue with Whittaker is when he loses the ball around about the half way line. He stands still and gives the opposition player a free run at goal. It's as if he gives up or can't be bothered running back.

marinello59
19-08-2017, 04:48 PM

I thought so as well.

Smartie
19-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Gray is far better defensively but Whittaker is a bit better going forward.

I thought Whittaker had an excellent first half but he fell away badly in the second as the whole team did. I wouldn't really say he was any more culpable than anyone else for our result today.

The thing for Whittaker though is that since he's keeping our club captain out of the side there can't be much room for tolerance of poor performance from him - he can't expect to have a run of bad games without being dropped. Whether or not a single iffy game is enough to be dropped is another story.

Is It On....
19-08-2017, 04:56 PM

I thought he was one of the better players in the first half and always seemed to find space.

19-08-2017, 05:13 PM
I've been pleased with Whittaker since he's been back but today he had a shocker.

flash
19-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Indeed...no need for a back 3 at home to Hamilton...back to a back 4 of Gray Hanlon Daz and lewy IMO

If anyone thinks a back four including Laurel and Hardy on the left side will be good enough for this division they are seriously deluded.

Hiber-nation
19-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Knew folk would be singling out individual players today. They were all rotten. Lennon will be on the case. Time to move on.

emerald green
19-08-2017, 05:52 PM

That's not saying much. It was as poor a team performance as I've seen from Hibs for quite some time. All the more frustrating that it comes following a win at Ibrox. But it's far from the first time that's ever happened.

That said, some credit has to be given to Hamilton. Simon Murray was nullified apart from one good chance in the first half. Teams like Hamilton are not just going to turn up at ER to roll over and make up the numbers, and it's arrogant to think they will.

This league, I suspect, will be harder than some think, and I saw no evidence today that Hibs are consistent enough to secure second place in this league behind Celtic at the end of this season. Hibs can be good on their day, but that's not enough.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Neil Lennon has to say.

where'stheslope
19-08-2017, 06:22 PM
All that is required on this forum is for people to settle down!
Already I've read we need 4 new defenders before the window shuts?
Stokes needs to stay in centre forward position all game?
Player everyone drooled over Whittaker, now seems to be the new whipping boy to some?
If we thought we were invincibles we would be wearing hoops, we were never going to win every game, it is maybe hard that it was Hamilton that beat us, but I believe they came here with a game plan to beat us and it worked.
In our other two games our game plan worked, unless your Celtic at the moment, everyone will lose unexpected games, its how you react to losing that is the difference!!!

KingFranck
19-08-2017, 06:40 PM
I thought he was one of the better players in the first half and always seemed to find space.
Totally agree one brilliant tackle springs to mind when he went to ground and won the ball down in the corner of our half.
Thought he was our best player today but that's not saying a lot as none of them got pass marks tbh.

TelaStella
19-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Can't agree with this one sadly. Out of all the signings so far Whitts has been one of the more impressive id say. When it comes to SDG though I can agree I do think we miss him and he's not the type of player to sit on our bench constantly, I just don't think he should be swapped for whitts.

ancient hibee
19-08-2017, 07:49 PM
First half Whittaker was consistently good going forward particularly in view of the number of poor passes he was given.His passing into the box was good and he's streets ahead of Gray in that respect.Second half he went down the tubes with the rest.I've said a few times when I've read about our great defence that for three years they've been playing mostly against poor players and teams that hardly sent any players forward.Now it's a step up and they have to recognise that and not play stupid balls like Hanlon did in stead of putting it into row Z.

thebausburst
19-08-2017, 08:47 PM

This 100% wonder if those slagging him were at the game today

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 08:50 PM
I'd drop Whittaker next game, not because of his performances because he's been doing well but feel Gray needs to come back in to keep him happy and give the defence and team a more familiar team mate aswell as the captains presence. He's as good a player as Whittaker and they need to be rotated

Stuart93
19-08-2017, 08:52 PM
That's not saying much. It was as poor a team performance as I've seen from Hibs for quite some time. All the more frustrating that it comes following a win at Ibrox. But it's far from the first time that's ever happened.

That said, some credit has to be given to Hamilton. Simon Murray was nullified apart from one good chance in the first half. Teams like Hamilton are not just going to turn up at ER to roll over and make up the numbers, and it's arrogant to think they will.

This league, I suspect, will be harder than some think, and I saw no evidence today that Hibs are consistent enough to secure second place in this league behind Celtic at the end of this season. Hibs can be good on their day, but that's not enough.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Neil Lennon has to say.

Agree with all of that...fwiw I think whittaker was the best player on the park for us today and one of the only who'd get pass marks from me, went down with the rest of the team in the 2nd half.

familyman
19-08-2017, 08:58 PM
I'd drop Whittaker next game, not because of his performances because he's been doing well but feel Gray needs to come back in to keep him happy and give the defence and team a more familiar team mate aswell as the captains presence. He's as good a player as Whittaker and they need to be rotated
Yes the drive and belief David Gray brings to the team was sadly lacking today, Whittaker had the touch of an elephant and I am afraid Lewis your time must be up ,so many wasted cross balls yet again.
This team believed its own hype ,so we got exactly what we deserved nothing..It is early days so we need to learn from this but as professional footballers this was far below what we pay for.If we lost by a bad ref decision or just bad luck so be it,but dare I say we were it in a different league to Hamilton on the day...and that is a real concern even early on...3points is 3 points whoever you play and this in effect makes the Rangers result of little merit at all as we are back to square one...
Put Gray at right back right now.The hunt for a left back goes on and on ..16000 deserve belief and effort AND SOME CREATIVE PLAY would be nice!

matty_f
19-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Football's all about opinions and in my opinion you know very little about football.

Firestarter
19-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Yes the drive and belief David Gray brings to the team was sadly lacking today, Whittaker had the touch of an elephant and I am afraid Lewis your time must be up ,so many wasted cross balls yet again.
This team believed its own hype ,so we got exactly what we deserved nothing..It is early days so we need to learn from this but as professional footballers this was far below what we pay for.If we lost by a bad ref decision or just bad luck so be it,but dare I say we were it in a different league to Hamilton on the day...and that is a real concern even early on...3points is 3 points whoever you play and this in effect makes the Rangers result of little merit at all as we are back to square one...
Put Gray at right back right now.The hunt for a left back goes on and on ..16000 deserve belief and effort AND SOME CREATIVE PLAY would be nice!

David back Whitty left back. He's played there for Scotland, sure he can for us.

Stuart93
19-08-2017, 09:02 PM

Let's drop a player, not because he's not playing well and doesn't deserve to be dropped but to keep another player happy? I for one am glad you're not our manager

J-C
19-08-2017, 09:03 PM
As good as Whittaker is at times going forward he is poor defensively and when teams like Hamilton hit with pace on the counter, his positioning is all over the place, Gray would be my choice at RB as he offers that defensive stability and it also showed how much we miss Boyle in the line up.

J-C
19-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Let's drop a player, not because he's not playing well and doesn't deserve to be dropped but to keep another player happy? I for one am glad you're not our manager

Why then did he drop Slivka after his performance last week? did Swanson deserve to come back into the team?

neil7908
19-08-2017, 09:05 PM

I agree with this. Baffled that Whittaker and Ambrose seem to be taking the stick defensively.

McGregor and Hanlon gave away a goal each today but this seems to have been largely ignored.

Mibbes Aye
19-08-2017, 09:09 PM
I thought Whittaker's best moment today came in the first half.

He had drifted into the middle and got the ball centre circle-ish or maybe just slightly deeper.

He played a great ball through to the left channel, can't remember to whom, it was just in front of them, but it was an absolute peach of a pass.

Essentially, I think we are wasting him using him on the flank.

He's got a better touch and technique than most players in this league. The best place to utilise that is through the middle.

matty_f
19-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Whittaker had a good first half, but was anonymous second half.

Dalkeith Boy
19-08-2017, 09:10 PM
He needs to stop standing watching while giving the opposition wingers as much time as they like to cross the ball. Happened twice today and was the reason for Sevco's 2nd goal last week.

Agree

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Would this thread exist if Gray had played today the same as Whittaker did?

I got absolutely slaughtered on here for criticising Gray at the end of last season when he cost us 5/6 goals over 2 months. Whitts has 1 poor game and daggers are out.

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 09:18 PM

It's a long season and the squad needs to be rotated. Gray needs game time and the defence feels like it could use a bit of familiarity right now.

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 09:20 PM
I don't get the dislike for Lewis Stevenson on here, he's always at least a 7/10, gives his best and is a good player, probably one of the best left backs we could realistically want. His crossing isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

matty_f
19-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I don't get the dislike for Lewis Stevenson on here, he's always at least a 7/10, gives his best and is a good player, probably one of the best left backs we could realistically want. His crossing isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Agree with that, though I don't think he put a single decent cross in today.

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Agree with that, though I don't think he put a single decent cross in today.

This is only one game though, Simon Murray didn't get a goal today and people aren't calling him a terrible finisher, rightly so because he's not. Some people in particular on here seem to have it in for Lewy

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Would this thread exist if Gray had played today the same as Whittaker did?

I got absolutely slaughtered on here for criticising Gray at the end of last season when he cost us 5/6 goals over 2 months. Whitts has 1 poor game and daggers are out.

Lies.

Stuart93
19-08-2017, 09:28 PM
It's a long season and the squad needs to be rotated. Gray needs game time and the defence feels like it could use a bit of familiarity right now.

Because of one loss? I disagree but fair enough man.

Stuart93
19-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Why then did he drop Slivka after his performance last week? did Swanson deserve to come back into the team?

You'd have to ask lennon the answer to that cause I'm as baffled at that one as you are

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Because of one loss? I disagree but fair enough man.

The defence so far have gifted Partick their goal, Rangers both of theirs and 2 of Hamiltons. They don't look like a defensive unit and in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, we should move to a back 4 of Stevenson, McGregor, Hanlon and Gray to free up a midfield place and make sure the defence can work as a unit

Jones28
19-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Nobody should be getting individual criticism after today. To a man, they were all honking.

Whittiker looked ok going forward but tbh the shape and everything about us was so poor I couldn't imagine anyone doing a better defensively.

Ozyhibby
19-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Football's all about opinions and in my opinion you know very little about football.

Ooh, I'm hurt.

matty_f
19-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Ooh, I'm hurt.

Sure you'll get over it. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Lies.No, Gray had some extremely poor games, St Mirren away and Dumbarton at home being ones I remember from the top of my head.

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 10:13 PM
No, Gray had some extremely poor games, St Mirren away and Dumbarton at home being ones I remember from the top of my head.

No way did he cost us 6 goals though. You are quick enough to accuse others of telling lies.

Ken
19-08-2017, 10:27 PM
I've not read anymore than the 1st few posts on this thread but I thought Whittaker was the best of a bad bunch today (especially 1st half) and I've been impressed with him so far. I think he offers more than Gray at this level, although i do rate Gray and he'll be able to step in when needed

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 10:29 PM
No way did he cost us 6 goals though. You are quick enough to accuse others of telling lies.

2 away at St Mirren, he was utterly hopeless that night
1 at home to Dunfermline (missed his kick). 2nd one in this game was a cross from his side.
1 at home to Dumbarton, sleeping after we equalised.

I've no idea why people get so offended at me criticising Gray. He is a legend but he had a pish poor run of form when we needed him most and we've gone and signed another right back for a reason. I'd bring him back in now as well, to shake things up and get people fired up but he isn't the Cafu/Maldini mashup people are making out.

GreenLake
19-08-2017, 10:30 PM
I think he will score goals and provide assists.

Borderhibbie76
19-08-2017, 10:32 PM
This is only one game though, Simon Murray didn't get a goal today and people aren't calling him a terrible finisher, rightly so because he's not. Some people in particular on here seem to have it in for LewyThey do.indeed mate 1 defeat and the knives are out for lewy over several threads....he was far from the worst out there today. SJM was pretty anonymous as was Dylan, very little from Murray or Stokes but it's all Lewys fault again. Bad day at the office from whole team...not just 1 player

Ken
19-08-2017, 10:36 PM
How I see it and I might get shot down...but we've stepped up to a league where team aren't sitting back and our defence are actually getting tested, hence losing 6 goals in 3 games.

I think Whittaker and Ambrose are a step up on what we had last year but it's easy for people to look at it negatively given we had little defending to do in the Championship.

I do however think we should have went with 4 at the back and had Slivka in midfield

DavidDavidGray
19-08-2017, 10:46 PM
How I see it and I might get shot down...but we've stepped up to a league where team aren't sitting back and our defence are actually getting tested, hence losing 6 goals in 3 games.

I think Whittaker and Ambrose are a step up on what we had last year but it's easy for people to look at it negatively given we had little defending to do in the Championship.

I do however think we should have went with 4 at the back and had Slivka in midfield

don't think Ambrose is better than either McGregor or Hanlon and don't think there's much in it between Whittaker or Gray, but I agree that the defence is being tested more and isn't coping well, for whatever reason

Danderhall Hibs
19-08-2017, 10:57 PM

He said why in his hibs tv interview with pc stamp.

He thought we'd have more of the ball this week and could use his creativity.

stoneyburn hibs
19-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Swanson wasn't fit today, blowing oot his erchie after 30 minutes and I expected him to be replaced at half-time with Slivka.

LaMotta
19-08-2017, 11:07 PM
2 away at St Mirren, he was utterly hopeless that night
1 at home to Dunfermline (missed his kick). 2nd one in this game was a cross from his side.
1 at home to Dumbarton, sleeping after we equalised.

I've no idea why people get so offended at me criticising Gray. He is a legend but he had a pish poor run of form when we needed him most and we've gone and signed another right back for a reason. I'd bring him back in now as well, to shake things up and get people fired up but he isn't the Cafu/Maldini mashup people are making out.

So not six then.

heretoday
19-08-2017, 11:40 PM
We basically didn't have a right back today.

blackpoolhibs
19-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Whittaker and Stokes getting the treatment today after our first defeat of the season, and when you think about it, both players are the players who will be behind the rest in fitness and match fitness since signing.

I will give them a bit longer before hanging them out to dry.

matty_f
19-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Whittaker and Stokes getting the treatment today after our first defeat of the season, and when you think about it, both players are the players who will be behind the rest in fitness and match fitness since signing.

I will give them a bit longer before hanging them out to dry.

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2017, 11:52 PM
So not six then.No, just 5. If only I had said 5/6...

Great debate pal

LaMotta
20-08-2017, 01:05 AM
No, just 5. If only I had said 5/6...

Great debate pal

A cross came in from his side and it was his fault?
You are talking absolute nonsense and not for the first time. Bizaare dislike of David Gray.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2017, 01:12 AM
A cross came in from his side and it was his fault?
You are talking absolute nonsense and not for the first time. Bizaare dislike of David Gray.It is strange that I've clearly said, on multiple occasions, that I have no dislike of Gray yet you still tell me I do.

Do I think Gray is overrated on here? Yes
Do I go against the ''David Gray is god'' theme? Yes
Do I dislike him as a player or person? No

I'll show you a photo I got taken with him if you don't believe me. I thanked him and everything, heartwarming moment.

If Gray was brilliant all last season and didn't cost us any goals then why isn't he in the team right now?

Mibbes Aye
20-08-2017, 01:31 AM
It is strange that I've clearly said, on multiple occasions, that I have no dislike of Gray yet you still tell me I do.

Do I think Gray is overrated on here? Yes
Do I go against the ''David Gray is god'' theme? Yes
Do I dislike him as a player or person? No

I'll show you a photo I got taken with him if you don't believe me. I thanked him and everything, heartwarming moment.

If Gray was brilliant all last season and didn't cost us any goals then why isn't he in the team right now?

Yeah,get all that, but what's your opinion on David Gray?

:greengrin

KingFranck
20-08-2017, 06:21 AM
Whittaker had a good first half, but was anonymous second half.

Could pretty much say that about the whole team though.
How we can single out one player in that shambles of a performance is beyond me.
They have to admit they all had a bad day at the office and move on.

J-C
20-08-2017, 07:33 AM
He said why in his hibs tv interview with pc stamp.

He thought we'd have more of the ball this week and could use his creativity.

I also posted this before his Hibs TV interview but still a bizarre omission and team set up at home. Didn't need 3 at the back and Slivka earned his right to start.

Libby Hibby
20-08-2017, 07:53 AM

That's true as we played 3 at the back with wing backs.

Ozyhibby
20-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Could pretty much say that about the whole team though.
How we can single out one player in that shambles of a performance is beyond me.
They have to admit they all had a bad day at the office and move on.

I don't single him out for yesterday. The op makes it clear they were all terrible. My problem is he is letting crosses come in from his side totally unchallenged in a way that Gray never would.

whiskas
20-08-2017, 08:32 AM
I thought he was one of our best players, esp first half. I do think we were left exposed on that side though , partly because other players weren't covering the space behind him when he pushed forward, and partly because I don't think he has the pace/stamina to play the wing back role any more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
20-08-2017, 08:59 AM
You'd have to ask lennon the answer to that cause I'm as baffled at that one as you are

Lennon said he brought in Swanson as we would have much more of the ball than we had at Greyskull.
First half I thought SW was our best player . Second half I'd say all outfield players were poor but Barkley had a couple of encouraging runs .
Bad day at the office . We move on to next week .

emerald green
20-08-2017, 10:03 AM

You might be right in what you say.

It's difficult to understand what was an all round shambolic team performance yesterday, particularly defensively.

Defend (and play) like that against Celtic in particular and we can expect a right hammering.

snooky
20-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Apart from SDG, this has been an ongoing problem since the days of Willie Miller.

Stuart93
21-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Opinions eh...Whittaker called up to the national squad yet people shouting for him to be dropped

Ozyhibby
21-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Opinions eh...Whittaker called up to the national squad yet people shouting for him to be dropped

SFA are not exactly good at running the national team though to be fair. I think it's fair to question them.

Stuart93
21-08-2017, 05:49 PM
SFA are not exactly good at running the national team though to be fair. I think it's fair to question them.

True however we all know the abilities there, the guys not even 100% fit yet and there's calls to drop him. Seems harsh so me

Ozyhibby
16-09-2017, 04:29 PM
How long until Lennon works it out? He's been dreadful since he signed.

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Needs dropped, he's been poor in almost all the games he's played. Lewis deserves to be in the side!

calumhibee1
16-09-2017, 04:48 PM
True however we all know the abilities there, the guys not even 100% fit yet and there's calls to drop him. Seems harsh so me

It's the middle of September, why would he not be fit?

cleanyman
16-09-2017, 04:50 PM
What about Ambrose? He's **** as well

wookie70
16-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Whittaker looked disinterested today imo. I would say there isn't much between him and SDG for right back but Stevenson offers far more for me on the left. I would also see what Porteous is like because Ambrose and Hanlon don't look like a pair to me.

pacoluna
16-09-2017, 04:55 PM
What about Ambrose? He's **** as well

Let's just call all of them **** because we drew :rolleyes:

cleanyman
16-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Let's just call all of them **** because we drew :rolleyes:

The entire defence was poor today. Why we calling out SW? Aye he's not been great but Ambrose was another one who had a stinker

bingo70
16-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Whittaker wasn't any better or worse than anyone else today, surprised he's been singled out for so much criticism (not just on this thread) but I suppose that comes with the territory when replacing a fans favourite.

I'd probably drop him for Stevenson but only because we need to try something to make us look solid again, not necessarily because Whittaker has done anything drastically wrong.

Brightside
16-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Whittaker looked disinterested today imo. I would say there isn't much between him and SDG for right back but Stevenson offers far more for me on the left. I would also see what Porteous is like because Ambrose and Hanlon don't look like a pair to me.

There was an instance were they were breaking and he was jogging back.... you would never every see Lewis doing that. Strutting about like a show pony today and its simply not good enough. Efe was also very poor.

Ozyhibby
16-09-2017, 05:06 PM
There was an instance were they were breaking and he was jogging back.... you would never every see Lewis doing that. Strutting about like a show pony today and its simply not good enough. Efe was also very poor.

Yip. Stevenson and Gray both defend aggressively. Whittaker does the bare minimum. Lennon has to see this and act.

16-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Whittaker is just too slow.

pacoluna
16-09-2017, 05:10 PM
The entire defence was poor today. Why we calling out SW? Aye he's not been great but Ambrose was another one who had a stinker

I'm not calling him out I prefer him over Stevenson. There is no hiding the fact many on this forum would play Stevenson for the next 40 years because of his dedication to the club though. Better just to ignore them than to stick the boot in to other players.

Brightside
16-09-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm not calling him out I prefer him over Stevenson. There is no hiding the fact many on this forum would play Stevenson for the next 40 years because of his dedication to the club though. Better just to ignore them than to stick the boot in to other players.

Id play Stevenson coz he is simply a much better left back.

Ozyhibby
16-09-2017, 05:19 PM

This thread started when it was gray getting left out. It has nothing to do with favouritism. It is about Whittaker not getting close enough to his man to do any defending. He is walking about out there.

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Id play Stevenson coz he is simply a much better left back.

Bang on. He's a far better left back simple as that. Nothing against Whitty but he offer very little there.

Hiber-nation
16-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Don't understand Lewis being dropped. I'm not fussed who plays RB as they both have good qualities (and not so good) but Lewis is simply a better all-round LB than Whitty.

whiskas
16-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Stevenson is a better defender, period. He's quicker more aggressive in the tackle and gas better positional sense.
Whittaker is a better footballer but I'm not sure that's what needed in there right now

ClewsHibs
16-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Yep, Lazy. Had a number of good opportunities to overlap Barker in the first half but couldnt be bothered

Thecat23
16-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Whitty does look very lazy to me. Jogs about the pitch. Lewis bursts a gut whenever defending. I think Whitty seen this as an easy end of career move and needs a boot up the arse.

hibsbollah
16-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Whittaker was worse today than he was against Hamilton, when I thought he was unfairly called out by the OP. Yes Ambrose was also poor today, but we have the luxury of a very good alternative in Lewis to come in at LB, we don't have this in the centre.

Smartie
16-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Stevenson is an excellent defender, which should be significant for a fullback.

Ok, occasionally his final ball could be better, but you can't overlook all of Stevenson's qualities to pick this out.

I can't believe he's been dropped, and I'd be getting him back into the team pronto.

I'm a wee bit concerned that we seem to be accommodating some of Lennon's signings, the ones who are playing poorly, yet not finding a place for the one has made the most impressive start, whilst overlooking players like Gray and Stevenson who have consistently done the business for us for years.

heretoday
16-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Just because he's a marquee signing he gets a game ahead of Lewis. It's a joke.

He's OK on the right or even CB in an emergency - which may happen by the way.

keep the faith
16-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Stevenson is an excellent defender, which should be significant for a fullback.

Ok, occasionally his final ball could be better, but you can't overlook all of Stevenson's qualities to pick this out.

I can't believe he's been dropped, and I'd be getting him back into the team pronto.

I'm a wee bit concerned that we seem to be accommodating some of Lennon's signings, the ones who are playing poorly, yet not finding a place for the one has made the most impressive start, whilst overlooking players like Gray and Stevenson who have consistently done the business for us for years.

Good post. Last season we had the most solid dependable defence in the league and a group who knew each other well and faught for each other. It was a defence that was more than ready for the premiership.
Signing Ambrose was not needed in my opinion, but fair do's. He provided more options. Signing Whittaker, who was not a good defender first time around was baffling for me. Signing him on a three year deal at 33 years old is staggering. Dropping our most consistent performer to shoe horn him into the team is frankly costing us points.
Whittaker is a fantastic athlete and pro, but no way should he be in the team and Lewis not.
I am never usually negative, but I had to get this off my chest.

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Stevenson is a better left back. Not an outstanding one but better than Whittaker has shown.

That's not singling him out or making a scapegoat or whatever else it's just my opinion and I'd prefer Lewis in the team at the moment.

Skol
16-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Whitaker is the same frustrating player from his first spell

All the attributes to be a great player but often caught out of position, day dreaming or playing passes interpersed with good tackles, and positive play going forward.

pacoluna
16-09-2017, 06:44 PM
This thread started when it was gray getting left out. It has nothing to do with favouritism. It is about Whittaker not getting close enough to his man to do any defending. He is walking about out there.

Neither goal came from his side? The reason people are laying into
SW is because be offered very little going forward today compared to usual where he is usually a threat. Stevenson is never a threat going forward. Stevenson is a decent defender but what exactly would he have done today that would have effected today's result? As said before neither goal came from SW side.

Ozyhibby
16-09-2017, 06:47 PM
SW is because be offered very little going forward today compared to usual where he is usually a threat. Stevenson is never a threat going forward. Stevenson is a decent defender but exactly would he have done today that would have effected that result? As said before neither goal came from SW side.

I'm not talking specifically about the goals. I'm talking about him not doing any defending.

Nameless
16-09-2017, 06:50 PM
SW is because be offered very little going forward today compared to usual where he is usually a threat. Stevenson is never a threat going forward. Stevenson is a decent defender but what exactly would he have done today that would have effected today's result? As said before neither goal came from SW side.In a 3-5-2, Whitty works, in 4-4-2 it has to be Lewis. Are you seriously happy with the shift Whitty put in today? I know overall the defence was poor.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
16-09-2017, 06:54 PM
SW is because be offered very little going forward today compared to usual where he is usually a threat. Stevenson is never a threat going forward. Stevenson is a decent defender but what exactly would he have done today that would have effected today's result? As said before neither goal came from SW side.

Whittaker was supposed to be marking Moult for their first. He had an absolute stinker today and has done the past few weeks. Time for Stevenson to come back in for me.

wookie70
16-09-2017, 06:56 PM
If we are playing wingers we must play left and right backs who can defend imo. Whittaker is good going forward but he hardly crossed the half way line today. There was one occasion in the first half where a high ball was played to our centre back area. Effe and Hanlon both went to the ball and left a Motherwell player free for a flick on. Whittaker and he only needed to sprint 10-15 yards to mark the uncovered player and didn't have a man to mark. He was like a statue either waiting to make a run forward, not seeing the danger or simply not willing to make the effort. It came to nothing but I couldn't believe he didn't react to the danger. I appreciate it is unfair singling out a tiny part of the game but his positioning and reaction to danger in defense are both poor. Lewis is a far better bet at left back and that is especially so when we play an out and out winger. I actually think Whiattaker and Boyle would be decent together on the right as Boyle works the whole side of the pitch and often helps out defending.

emerald green
16-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Whittaker was supposed to be marking Moult for their first. He had an absolute stinker today and has done the past few weeks. Time for Stevenson to come back in for me.

I would need to see the goal again, but I said straight away at the match "who was supposed to be marking Moult" and "where was Whittaker?".

JohnM1875
16-09-2017, 06:59 PM
I would need to see the goal again, but I said straight away at the match "who was supposed to be marking Moult" and "where was Whittaker?".

I just watched the second half on BBC Alba and it was 100% suppose to be Whittaker. No idea what Rocky was doing either though mind you.

emerald green
16-09-2017, 07:03 PM
I just watched the second half on BBC Alba and it was 100% suppose to be Whittaker. No idea what Rocky was doing either though mind you.

Me neither. A terrible goal to lose from a set play.

DavidDavidGray
16-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Whittaker is a good right back but he is not a left back. Stevenson is a much better left back who also seems more committed, Whittaker is only starting because of his name value. He's been good when played at right back but shocking when played at left back.

Carheenlea
16-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Lewis didn't really do much to be dropped out the team, but I agree with the notion that he is a better left back than Whittaker. Suspect we may see him back in against Livingston.

Dalkeith Boy
16-09-2017, 07:29 PM

I totally agree...at fault defensively, short of pace, not what I expected from him

hhibs
16-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Good post. Last season we had the most solid dependable defence in the league and a group who knew each other well and faught for each other. It was a defence that was more than ready for the premiership.
Signing Ambrose was not needed in my opinion, but fair do's. He provided more options. Signing Whittaker, who was not a good defender first time around was baffling for me. Signing him on a three year deal at 33 years old is staggering. Dropping our most consistent performer to shoe horn him into the team is frankly costing us points.
Whittaker is a fantastic athlete and pro, but no way should he be in the team and Lewis not.
I am never usually negative, but I had to get this off my chest.

Tend to agree with this,shoehorning him into the team when frankly he looks disinterested is a mistake NL continues to make and it causes imbalance throughout the team.

familyman
16-09-2017, 08:00 PM
I feel Whittaker has given away too many balls and his passing and touch is not at all decisive.Lewis sadly has also not shown any improvement and so we are stuck at left back.Whittaker does drive into the box unlike Lewis so he has that advantage,but needs to sharpen up fast.
If Dylan had come on earlier so McGinn did not have to do it all in midfield today,then we would have controlled the middle of the park earlier..Dylan came on far too late so NL was not great on his tactics and Motherwell subs made far more impression....Hibs are very much a WIP but our points total needs dramatically imporved asap,so get the tactics right from the first minute....
Poor goalkeeping from Hibs let them back in to the game.....

stoneyburn hibs
16-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I really hope that LS is restored at left back. I'd swap Whitty and SDG around, depending on the opposition.

CMurdoch
16-09-2017, 08:34 PM
If we are playing wingers we must play left and right backs who can defend imo. Whittaker is good going forward but he hardly crossed the half way line today. There was one occasion in the first half where a high ball was played to our centre back area. Effe and Hanlon both went to the ball and left a Motherwell player free for a flick on. Whittaker and he only needed to sprint 10-15 yards to mark the uncovered player and didn't have a man to mark. He was like a statue either waiting to make a run forward, not seeing the danger or simply not willing to make the effort. It came to nothing but I couldn't believe he didn't react to the danger. I appreciate it is unfair singling out a tiny part of the game but his positioning and reaction to danger in defense are both poor. Lewis is a far better bet at left back and that is especially so when we play an out and out winger. I actually think Whiattaker and Boyle would be decent together on the right as Boyle works the whole side of the pitch and often helps out defending.

:aok:

Stevenson is a good left back but a poor left wing back (cannae beat a man or cross well consistantly)

Gray is a good right back but a poor right wing back (cannae beat a man or cross well consistantly)

Whittaker is a good right wing back but a poor defender.

Barker is a good out and out winger who doesn't track back

Boyle is a fast attacking player who also tracks back and helps the defender behind him.

Therefore if you want to play Barker and Boyle like Lennon did today you need to play:

Stevenson at left back because none of the other two fit.
Then choose between Whittaker and Gray for right back

Simples

FitbaFolkKen
16-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Ambrose and Hanlon seemed to be having a few digs at each other throughout.

My concern about Whittaker is he looks slow but we've signed him for 3 years.

FitbaFolkKen
16-09-2017, 08:45 PM

There was also the corner in the first half where they had a completely free header in Whittys area

RossScott1991
16-09-2017, 08:53 PM
One of whittakers best attributes in his first spell was his pace and how he went on mazy runs and could beat a player. Now he is slow and looks his age now. Poor defensively, but shouldn't be starting every game. Ridiculous to give him a 3 year deal. Stevenson should be LB, and has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped for 3 games straight.

LancsHibs
16-09-2017, 09:03 PM
From what I've seen so far I would have Lewis back at LB over Whitty as he's a natural left back. Having said that I was disappointed we didn't sign a LB and would have replaced LS 6 years ago. There I said it!

I'm_cabbaged
16-09-2017, 09:22 PM
TBH, he's as fast as a weekend in St Leonard's , a three deal? Oh dear....

J-C
16-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Whittaker looks slow and seems to be showing his age, I wasn't fussed about him coming and TBH I think his wage could be used better elsewhere, it looks like Lennon is determined to fit him into the team somehow and I think personally to the detriment of the team.

madhatter
16-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Play him right mid in front of Gray in certain games. Lets be honest our fullbacks shouldn't have joined attacks because Barker and Boyle don't really track back and when they do they rarely put in a tackle. Whittaker in front of Gray would give us more solidity.

Both Gray and Whittaker are slow and both struggled badly today to get back after being involved in attacks etc.

Danderhall Hibs
16-09-2017, 09:42 PM
He didn't have a great game today so not going to defend him. I still think he's a better player than Stevenson.

Not sure why we have a full back marking their main striker?

keep the faith
16-09-2017, 10:37 PM
He didn't have a great game today so not going to defend him. I still think he's a better player than Stevenson.

No way on earth he is a better left back than Stevenson.

JohnM1875
17-09-2017, 01:50 AM
No way on earth he is a better left back than Stevenson.

It isn't even close. Stevenson every week for me! Lewis had done nothing to merit getting dropped. Folk saying Whittaker is better going forward? Aye, maybe about 4 years ago. He's a decent enough sub due to his versatility but he shouldn't be starting games at left back in my opinion.

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2017, 02:13 AM
well whatever our differing opinions on whitty are, NL will have to find a position for him somewhere...3 years contract is a long time

BoomtownHibees
17-09-2017, 02:52 AM

McGinn was marking him in the first half and lost him when Moult had the free header at the back post

Mibbes Aye
17-09-2017, 02:56 AM
On holiday and never got sorted with Hibs TV to watch the game, so I'm interpreting what everyone else is posting.

It's funny reading the criticism of Whittaker when there were threads on here only a few weeks ago, chuffed to bits because we had got a player who has spent the best part of his career playing in England and winning international caps. A player who was possibly the most technically gifted of the golden generation, in terms of touch.

When I first started posting on here, ten years ago, there were many threads arguing about whether Whittaker could play defence. Big arguments about whether he should play RB or RM. Seems like nothing has changed

I still think he is wasted out wide. His feet are too clever to play on the flanks and he should play in the slot just in front of the central defence. That allows McGinn a bit more licence, or McGeough, to work higher up the pitch. It would be great to see McGeough in particular have the opportunity to play ten-fifteen yards further forward.

kiwihibby
17-09-2017, 03:56 AM
On holiday and never got sorted with Hibs TV to watch the game, so I'm interpreting what everyone else is posting.

It's funny reading the criticism of Whittaker when there were threads on here only a few weeks ago, chuffed to bits because we had got a player who has spent the best part of his career playing in England and winning international caps. A player who was possibly the most technically gifted of the golden generation, in terms of touch.

When I first started posting on here, ten years ago, there were many threads arguing about whether Whittaker could play defence. Big arguments about whether he should play RB or RM. Seems like nothing has changed

I still think he is wasted out wide. His feet are too clever to play on the flanks and he should play in the slot just in front of the central defence. That allows McGinn a bit more licence, or McGeough, to work higher up the pitch. It would be great to see McGeough in particular have the opportunity to play ten-fifteen yards further forward.
Said in a previous thread that Stevenson is far superior to Whittaker and got rubbished for saying it. Today was not the first time Whittaker has been posted AWOL in the defence and goals have been lost. How Strachan could name him in any Scotland squad beggars belief. He is well past it. Slow ann some of his attempted passes are truly woeful. Bring back LS. At least he gives 100% in every game and his crossing has definitely improved.

Mibbes Aye
17-09-2017, 04:27 AM
Said in a previous thread that Stevenson is far superior to Whittaker and got rubbished for saying it. Today was not the first time Whittaker has been posted AWOL in the defence and goals have been lost. How Strachan could name him in any Scotland squad beggars belief. He is well past it. Slow ann some of his attempted passes are truly woeful. Bring back LS. At least he gives 100% in every game and his crossing has definitely improved.

:greengrin

I've made more positive posts on here about Lewis than I care to remember. There's a bunch of us who can rightly be called fanboys (and a few girls). I'm out the country and feel a bit detached from what's happened, so I'm not quite clear why he didn't play today.

As I said in my previous post, I think Whittaker needs to play centrally. Lewis should always be first-choice at left back, unless we sign someone a lot, lot, lot better, which we are not going to be able to afford. They would need to be a lot, lot, lot better though, because Lewis is a coach's dream. He covers his flank, works himself into the ground going forward, always shows for the ball and makes the effort for the link-up in attack.

Whittaker I think is adjusting but is technically one of the best players I've ever seen at Hibs. He's got the feet and the footwork and while he's not as young as he was before, he will show his talent for us.

danhibees1875
17-09-2017, 07:14 AM
I wanted to see Whittaker at LB, I thought he would offer more. I was wrong. I think we need to go back to Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson.

Whittaker could be better utilised in the middle but with players like McGeoch and slivka on the bench, I don't know when he'd get much game time there.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 08:08 AM
McGinn was marking him in the first half and lost him when Moult had the free header at the back post

Crazy that our centre halfs aren't marking their main striker, instead of leaving it to whoever's closest.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 08:22 AM
I feel sorry for Whittaker - folk have had a downer on him from early on. At first I thought it was the Rangers thing but more recently it seems to be because he's taken Lewis' place in the team.

I know some will have been talking about it from a foootball point of view but based on the comments I've read pre-match on here a lot of it isn't football related.

It'd be great if we could support all of our players but I appreciate for some that we need to pick someone to blame for all our failings.

Brightside
17-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Crazy that our centre halfs aren't marking their main striker, instead of leaving it to whoever's closest.

CHs defend the big CHs at corners.

green day
17-09-2017, 08:25 AM
I feel sorry for Whittaker - folk have had a downer on him from early on. At first I thought it was the Rangers thing but more recently it seems to be because he's taken Lewis' place in the team.

I know some will have been talking about it from a foootball point of view but based on the comments I've read pre-match on here a lot of it isn't football related.

It'd be great if we could support all of our players but I appreciate for some that we need to pick someone to blame for all our failings.

If only it were that.

Truth is he has been average at best, rotten in some matches and looked nothing like the player we thought we were getting.

Up to him to improve or he gets dropped.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 08:27 AM
If only it were that.

Truth is he has been average at best, rotten in some matches and looked nothing like the player we thought we were getting.

True - I didn't consider maybe expectations were too high.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 08:28 AM
CHs defend the big CHs at corners.

Be better marking the danger man rather than leaving it to centre midfielders based on yesterday?

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 08:28 AM
If only it were that.

He's every bit the player I thought we were getting. He struggled in England, he isnt the same player that left many moons ago, alot seemed to think he would be. He is what you're seeing. Bang average.

jacomo
17-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Ridiculous that we are conceding so many goals.

We need to get back to our defensive form of last season.

Sort it out Lenny.

Thecat23
17-09-2017, 09:56 AM

I support Whitty and was delighted we got him. But he needs dropped because he's been way off the pace since he arrived. He's not a left back and Lewis is and is also a better one at that. Whitty for me prob better playing in front of Gray but then who do you leave out?

All I want is a solid back 4, Whitty can't defend and he's never been good at defending, far stronger going forward.

hibee_girl
17-09-2017, 10:28 AM

To say it's because he's taken Lewis' place is nonsense, I would say it's because he's been at fault for a few of the goals scored against us.

He's simply not a left back and I'd actually like to see him maybe playing on front of Lewis

J-C
17-09-2017, 10:34 AM
I support Whitty and was delighted we got him. But he needs dropped because he's been way off the pace since he arrived. He's not a left back and Lewis is and is also a better one at that. Whitty for me prob better playing in front of Gray but then who do you leave out?

All I want is a solid back 4, Whitty can't defend and he's never been good at defending, far stronger going forward.

Leave out Barker and stick Boyle on the left where he is comfortable.

snooky
17-09-2017, 10:39 AM

Been saying this for years (I know, ad nauseam :coffee: )

J-C
17-09-2017, 10:43 AM
I wanted to see Whittaker at LB, I thought he would offer more. I was wrong. I think we need to go back to Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson.

Whittaker could be better utilised in the middle but with players like McGeoch and slivka on the bench, I don't know when he'd get much game time there.

Lennon said he liked Whittakers versatility when he signed him, he's shown that whatever he had is now gone and he looks bang average and to give him a 3 year deal beggars belief. If we're going to play him at all it should be in front of Gray and let him attack, if can't do that then use him simply as a back up or is his wages that big Lennon feels he has to try and fit him in somewhere? I feel he was purely signed because he was available and also signed on his past playing history as his recent playing history hasn't been great this past couple of years, just 20 games this past 2 seasons.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 11:01 AM
To say it's because he's taken Lewis' place is nonsense, I would say it's because he's been at fault for a few of the goals scored against us.

He's simply not a left back and I'd actually like to see him maybe playing on front of Lewis

It certainly comes across like that on the pre match threads. Which goals is he to blame for?

Eyrie
17-09-2017, 11:56 AM
It certainly comes across like that on the pre match threads. Which goals is he to blame for?

He conceded Dundee's penalty with a rash and needless challenge for a player of his experience.

Is It On....
17-09-2017, 12:25 PM
He conceded Dundee's penalty with a rash and needless challenge for a player of his experience.

That would be the bad decision by the referee?

hibee_girl
17-09-2017, 12:30 PM
That would be the bad decision by the referee?

The ref wouldn't have a decision to make if Whittaker didn't lunge in.

I'd say he was suspect for St Johnstone goal last week too.

I missed the game yesterday so can't comment on that.

Ozyhibby
17-09-2017, 12:53 PM
He allowed Tavernier all the time the world to line up his cross for Sevco's 2nd goal instead of putting pressure on the ball. Real basic stuff and he is doing this multiple times in each game.
Hamilton's 'goal of the century' is easily prevented if Whittaker goes with his runner instead of just jogging back.
That's just a couple of goals of the top of my head, but there are many more that did not result in goals.
This is not me picking on Whittaker, I was happy we signed him, and it is not me getting sentimental for having Stevenson in the team. This is about a player not doing his job and it's been obvious since he signed and I'm not sure why Lennon has not picked up on it. While he is in the team we are going to lose goals.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2017, 01:04 PM
He allowed Tavernier all the time the world to line up his cross for Sevco's 2nd goal instead of putting pressure on the ball. Real basic stuff and he is doing this multiple times in each game.
Hamilton's 'goal of the century' is easily prevented if Whittaker goes with his runner instead of just jogging back.
That's just a couple of goals of the top of my head, but there are many more that did not result in goals.
This is not me picking on Whittaker, I was happy we signed him, and it is not me getting sentimental for having Stevenson in the team. This is about a player not doing his job and it's been obvious since he signed and I'm not sure why Lennon has not picked up on it. While he is in the team we are going to lose goals.

Sorry but stuff like that is you clutching at things because you've decided he's the problem. In both the examples you give any number of players could be blamed right throughout the team. To say Whittaker could have easily prevented them is just wrong.

Incidentally, I don't think he should be playing left back but the way we are defending is a collective thing, they're all failing to do the right things at the moment.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 01:05 PM
The ref wouldn't have a decision to make if Whittaker didn't lunge in.

I'd say he was suspect for St Johnstone goal last week too.

I missed the game yesterday so can't comment on that.

We can't start blaming him for bad refereeing decisions now - that's really unfair. And vs St Johnstone he covered the middle - if he hadn't the boy would've had a tap in. What do you think LS would've done in that situation?

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Sorry but stuff like that is you clutching at things because you've decided he's the problem. In both the examples you give any number of players could be blamed right throughout the team. To say Whittaker could have easily prevented them is just wrong.

Incidentally, I don't think he should be playing left back but the way we are defending is a collective thing, they're all failing to do the right things at the moment.

:agree:

Smartie
17-09-2017, 01:08 PM
When you compare Whittaker and Stevenson, how many goals has Stevenson been to blame for over the years?

A couple, but very few, given the number of games he has played.

He is positionally sound - knows when to hang back, knows when to overlap or go forward, knows when to tuck in. Whittaker looks tentative and like he didn't know how to play the position yesterday.

You'd always fancy Whittaker to create more and his decision making higher up the pitch is better than Stevenson's.

But our first priority at the moment must be to plug this leaky defence. Restoring Stevenson to left-back is the most obvious starting point.

Ozyhibby
17-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Nonsense. He's not the only problem. He is just one that can be fixed easily. I would rather have McGregor back in the defence just now but that is not possible. I would also like McGeogh in the midfield as well and that is easily fixed.
Believe when I say it, I don't think Whittaker is performing well at all. It's nothing personal. He is just not working hard enough and getting tight enough to players to be able to defend properly. He is doing it all from about 5 feet away.

hibee_girl
17-09-2017, 01:28 PM
We can't start blaming him for bad refereeing decisions now - that's really unfair. And vs St Johnstone he covered the middle - if he hadn't the boy would've had a tap in. What do you think LS would've done in that situation?

Got back faster :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
17-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Got back faster :greengrin

Got back to where quicker? Any left back would have ended up in that same position as Whitty did, how quick it was done makes no difference

Is It On....
17-09-2017, 03:06 PM
When you compare Whittaker and Stevenson, how many goals has Stevenson been to blame for over the years?

A couple, but very few, given the number of games he has played.

He is positionally sound - knows when to hang back, knows when to overlap or go forward, knows when to tuck in. Whittaker looks tentative and like he didn't know how to play the position yesterday.

You'd always fancy Whittaker to create more and his decision making higher up the pitch is better than Stevenson's.

But our first priority at the moment must be to plug this leaky defence. Restoring Stevenson to left-back is the most obvious starting point.

The best left back I have ever seen at ER was David Murphy who was a genuine attacking defender. Unfortunately, unless we get lucky, we are always going to have a compromise between a solid defender (Stevenson, who has had pelters on here due to his attacking ability) or a better attacker (Whittaker, who is currently getting criticism for his defending). I would always prefer a defender that defended but that's just my opinion.

Mibbes Aye
17-09-2017, 04:28 PM
I think this thread says more about the general attitudes and mores on social media than anything else.

Whittaker is an outstanding player, the kind of talent we should relish being at our club. If he goes through a bit of bad form then it's temporary. He is class and that's why he has made a very decent career fror himself since leaving us the first time.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 04:41 PM
I think this thread says more about the general attitudes and mores on social media than anything else.

Whittaker is an outstanding player, the kind of talent we should relish being at our club. If he goes through a bit of bad form then it's temporary. He is class and that's why he has made a very decent career fror himself since leaving us the first time.

Sorry mate I know its all about opinions but Im not getting the class comments. He hasnt done anything of note for some considerable time. He played 90 games in 5 seasons at Norwich and was subsequently released. Thats 18 games a season on average. I think many have made the mistake of believing he is Steven Whittaker circa 2006 to 2011, he isnt, hes 33 years old hasnt played much in the last few seasons and IMO it shows. Like I said all about opinions.

Thecat23
17-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Sorry mate I know its all about opinions but Im not getting the class comments. He hasnt done anything of note for some considerable time. He played 90 games in 5 seasons at Norwich and was subsequently released. Thats 18 games a season on average. I think many have made the mistake of believing he is Steven Whittaker circa 2006 to 2011, he isnt, hes 33 years old hasnt played much in the last few seasons and IMO it shows. Like I said all about opinions.

Agree, on the evidence so far he's not been anywhere near the player we thought we were getting. I'm hoping that changes though and he settles in.

Lancs Harp
17-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Agree, on the evidence so far he's not been anywhere near the player we thought we were getting. I'm hoping that changes though and he settles in.

I hope he finds his feet too but at the moment I think he is struggling and personally would have both SDG at right back and Lewis at left back ahead of him in the starting line up.

NAE NOOKIE
17-09-2017, 05:25 PM
I haven't been convinced by Whittaker since the season started, so I'm not just having a go at him because of yesterday. He isn't playing well either defensively or going forward and for all of Lewis Stevenson's faults as a forward player he is clearly a better defender than Steven Whittaker and isn't blowing out of his arse after 70 minutes either ... If Lennon is going to play with a winger on the left Whittaker's value over Stevenson, which should be his ability to get forward and be effective, is moot .... not that he's doing that anyway.

I don't care how much Steven Whittaker is getting paid, I don't care that he has a 3 year contract either, he isn't playing at anything like the level I thought he would and because of that he needs to be dropped ..... if that's going to involve Lennon admitting that he might have made a mistake signing him then so be it, its what the best managers do.

RossScott1991
17-09-2017, 05:38 PM
He's not the whittaker i remember. Sadly he looks 33 now, 3 year deal with ridiculous tbh. We should go back to scottish cup winning fullbacks. Im sorry i just don't think whittaker is what we need. His pace is gone, i prefer Gray and Stevensons bite. I am actually terrified at thought of Sinclair/Roberts up against Whittaker in a couple weeks time.

Smartie
17-09-2017, 05:45 PM
I actually thought he started well.

In the pre-season and League Cup games he looked very good. He had a good game in the cup at centre mid and had some good games as RWB, a position where he had license to use his skills going forward but to have a bit of cover for him defensively.

Initially he looked the part, and deservedly kept our captain out the side in the early part of the season, for games that we got good results in.

It's gone a bit awry for him since then. He's not a left-back, but would be a handy enough back-up for Lewis if he was out for some reason.

Yesterday was his worst game for us, I thought he was awful. But that shouldn't detract from the fact that he has been anything from decent enough to very good in all our other games, even if he has been a bit suspect defensively.

He needs dropped, Lewis needs to come back in, but he will play a part this season and make a positive impact.

For me he shares the RB/ RWB role with David Gray, depending on who we are playing and only plays in place of Lewis in emergencies.

He might yet have a role in centre mid if we're short of bodies in there too.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't get this Whittaker bashing. He came in later than a few, so was a wee bit behind his team mates on match fitness. Thought he was a bit slow at Ibrox, but think he's come on since then. Because we're playing with wingers, he doesn't have to get forward as much as Lewis was asked too

Gatecrasher
17-09-2017, 06:15 PM
I don't get this Whittaker bashing. He came in later than a few, so was a wee bit behind his team mates on match fitness. Thought he was a bit slow at Ibrox, but think he's come on since then. Because we're playing with wingers, he doesn't have to get forward as much as Lewis was asked too
Sorry I'm not buying that one, he singed around mid-July he should be well up to speed, its nearly October.

Heisenberg
17-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Three year deal for him is looking a bit mental just now.

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Sorry I'm not buying that one, he singed around mid-July he should be well up to speed, its nearly October.

Matter of opinion

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Played great against Partick and people were saying at that point SDG had a long wait before he got back in the team. Football is a fickle game and it's been a dramatic change on here since the rangers game.

From what I've seen he's played great on 3 games, questionable in the rest.

Simon Murray hadn't been playing great recently but no question marks over whether he is good enough.

SJM imo hasn't exactly been a stand out in all our games either.

I'm no going to question the decision to sign him on a 3 year after about 6 or 7 games.

Gatecrasher
17-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Matter of opinion
Stokes barely set foot on a pitch for a year and is well ahead of him then, I just think we were wrong to invest 3 years in him. Out of interest how long do you think until he's up to speed?

Billy Whizz
17-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Stokes barely set foot on a pitch for a year and is well ahead of him then, I just think we were wrong to invest 3 years in him. Out of interest how long do you think until he's up to speed?

It's you he's saying he's not up to speed, not me. I just said that he was later in, but after ibrox I've been satisfied with his performances

KWJ
I don't think it's any coincidence that he's not played as well when moved to left back. Sure he's played it before but that doesn't mean he's as comfortable there as he is at RB.

J-C
It's you he's saying he's not up to speed, not me. I just said that he was later in, but after ibrox I've been satisfied with his performances

Easily pleased then.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that he's not played as well when moved to left back. Sure he's played it before but that doesn't mean he's as comfortable there as he is at RB.

That's it for me. He can do a job at left back but he shouldn't be playing there when we have a left back sitting on the bench.

Gatecrasher
17-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Really? i think he's miles behind and getting caught out far too often. IMO he either needs benched or moved position.

Nicho87
17-09-2017, 09:34 PM
His agent done well getting a 3 year deal. He's slow already dread to see him in 2 years