PDA

View Full Version : Celtic ...... Premiership teams' windfall

Jim44
18-08-2017, 11:10 AM
If Celtic complete the business against Astana, apparently every other Premiership club will receive £365k, to be used for youth development. Probably a good reason to stop wishing failure on them as a matter of course. :greengrin

tamig
18-08-2017, 11:12 AM
If Celtic complete the business against Astana, apparently every other Premiership club will receive £365k, to be used for youth development. Probably a good reason to stop wishing failure on them as a matter of course. :greengrin

I heard that on Sportsound last night. Thought the figure was £270k though.

Future17
18-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Every time I hear this, the figure changes.

Out of interest, where did you get yours from?

Regardless of the amount, I'm still not convinced it's a good thing.

JimBHibees
18-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Double edged sword though as they will get hugely stronger. Will certainly come in useful for I am assuming smaller clubs in the premier league. Listened to sportsound and they seemed to be suggesting about 270k each which was put into some proportion when they mentioned the bottom team in the EPL got 95m while Celtic got 3m for winning our league. Also mentioned the money was more than some teams would get form the Ladbrokes deal..

Hibbycol
18-08-2017, 11:14 AM
If Celtic complete the business against Astana, apparently every other Premiership club will receive £365k, to be used for youth development. Probably a good reason to stop wishing failure on them as a matter of course. :greengrinlonger they are in Europe the better for me ,takes their eyes off league and cup if they are playing midweek ,also tiredness and injuries and knocks to players that benefit us if we are playing in the said league and cup games and players are missing [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

neil7908
18-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Fair enough, it's a decent amount of cash but I still don't think it's beneficial for our game that one team, already miles ahead, is going to get an extra £30m+.

It's classic example of where things are in Scotland - we get scraps and are told to feel grateful.

It's short term thinking that is doing huge damage in the long run.

MWHIBBIES
18-08-2017, 11:17 AM
and how much do Celtic get? 40+ million?

Hibbycol
18-08-2017, 11:18 AM
If Celtic complete the business against Astana, apparently every other Premiership club will receive £365k, to be used for youth development. Probably a good reason to stop wishing failure on them as a matter of course. :greengrinDo you think der Huns will knock it back lol, "here's a wee penny from your other ugly sister,now don't spend it all in the one shop now " lol.

Sean1875
18-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Celtic have already been given £7mil just for being in the play-offs for the CL. Gaps already widening regardless.

Hibbycol
18-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Celtic have already been given £7mil just for being in the play-offs for the CL. Gaps already widening regardless.That's for the fines when the ultras [emoji849] put their next party banner on show, ooh politics madam !

Thecat23
Sorry but a team gaining £30m even if we get that is not a good thing. We need to stop relying on the success of other Scottish teams. That's a huge problem for Scotland.

I want every team in Europe from Scotland that ain't us knocked out. We have build great foundations at Hibs past couple of years, now we have moved up a gear again under Lennon. Without getting carried away 2nd could end up being a realistic target. But if not let's keep moving forward building a stronger squad and not have to reply on anyone else to earn a little more cash. We'll do that ourselves!

JimBHibees
and how much to Celtic get? 40+ million?

Mention of 30 million minimum i think.

Jim44
18-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Every time I hear this, the figure changes.

Out of interest, where did you get yours from?

Regardless of the amount, I'm still not convinced it's a good thing.

Read it on KB and think they got it from the Daily ******. I understand the negative views but no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. :dunno:

MyJo
18-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Double edged sword though as they will get hugely stronger. Will certainly come in useful for I am assuming smaller clubs in the premier league. Listened to sportsound and they seemed to be suggesting about 270k each which was put into some proportion when they mentioned the bottom team in the EPL got 95m while Celtic got 3m for winning our league. Also mentioned the money was more than some teams would get form the Ladbrokes deal..

Realistically, even without the champions league money they would be miles and miles ahead of any other club in Scotland anyway. At least this way there is some residual benefit to scottish teams with some cash and a strong Celtic will continue to stop Rangers from winning which im more than happy with.

Mr White
18-08-2017, 11:34 AM
longer they are in Europe the better for me ,takes their eyes off league and cup if they are playing midweek ,also tiredness and injuries and knocks to players that benefit us if we are playing in the said league and cup games and players are missing [emoji16]

:agree:
Hopefully we have them at easter road 4 days after a particularly tiring midweek trip that involved a terrible humping and some unrest within their squad.

Hibbycol
18-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Hopefully we have them at easter road 4 days after a particularly tiring midweek trip that involved a terrible humping and some unrest within their squad.amen to that .

JimBHibees
18-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Sorry but a team gaining £30m even if we get that is not a good thing. We need to stop relying on the success of other Scottish teams. That's a huge problem for Scotland.

I want every team in Europe from Scotland that ain't us knocked out. We have build great foundations at Hibs past couple of years, now we have moved up a gear again under Lennon. Without getting carried away 2nd could end up being a realistic target. But if not let's keep moving forward building a stronger squad and not have to reply on anyone else to earn a little more cash. We'll do that ourselves!

Agree it is a bit like paupers getting the scraps from the rich mans table. The whole champions league is a total sham and helps no one bar the teams involved and increases the chances of the same teams year after year which no doubt suits they clubs but as a competition or spectacle is boring with little or no chance of teams joining the party unless they get some oligarch taking over them.

Ozyhibby
18-08-2017, 11:38 AM
We need to be getting to the group stages of the EUROPA cup ourselves. It's worth about £6m apparently. That is a sum of money that could changes Hibs fortunes significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
18-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Mention of 30 million minimum i think.

Good luck to them, considering the worst team in theEnglsih Premier league gets a min £98 min, it's still low in European terms

Imagine be if we could ever get into this exclusive league😄

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Seems like money for nothing. Straight into SJM's hipper to dissuade him from joining them is what I would do.

Mick O'Rourke
18-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Do you think der Huns will knock it back lol, "here's a wee penny from your other ugly sister,now don't spend it all in the one shop now " lol.

The 18-72 Statement and General Propaganda Committee will want some of that.

18-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Hopefully we have them at easter road 4 days after a particularly tiring midweek trip that involved a terrible humping and some unrest within their squad.

We are scheduled to play them at Parkhead 3 or 4 days after the 2nd CL group stage match and at ER 3 or 4 days after the 6th group stage match.

Jack Hackett
18-08-2017, 11:54 AM
We need to be getting to the group stages of the EUROPA cup ourselves. It's worth about £6m apparently. That is a sum of money that could changes Hibs fortunes significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primary reason why previously crap little clubs like Maribor, Braga etc are so far in front of us

Jim44
18-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Seems like money for nothing. Straight into SJM's hipper to dissuade him from joining them is what I would do.

I'm sure it's ring-fenced for youth development but an accountant could probably work his or her creative imagination in some respect.

Thecat23
18-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Agree it is a bit like paupers getting the scraps from the rich mans table. The whole champions league is a total sham and helps no one bar the teams involved and increases the chances of the same teams year after year which no doubt suits they clubs but as a competition or spectacle is boring with little or no chance of teams joining the party unless they get some oligarch taking over them.

Bang on Jim.

mjhibby
18-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Read it on KB and think they got it from the Daily ******. I understand the negative views but no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. :dunno:

It's £3m shared between the 11 other spl teams giving each team £272,000 each. Not to be sniffed at but yes we shouldn't be relying on celtic but we'll take the money and put it to good use I'm sure.

mjhibby
18-08-2017, 12:34 PM

That's the reality of it. If we are battling for second to fourth spot that is realistic for us plus doing well in the cups. There will be no competition for the spl title until some other spl team has major,major investment in it and given there will be no return on the investment very unlikely to happen.

California-Hibs
18-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Realistically, even without the champions league money they would be miles and miles ahead of any other club in Scotland anyway. At least this way there is some residual benefit to scottish teams with some cash and a strong Celtic will continue to stop Rangers from winning which im more than happy with.

Pretty much where I'm at.

smack
18-08-2017, 12:37 PM
It's £3m shared between the 11 other spl teams giving each team £272,000 each. Not to be sniffed at but yes we shouldn't be relying on celtic but we'll take the money and put it to good use I'm sure.

How soon do the clubs get the money as I'm sure I heard there's a club that wants to buy some seats

hibbysam
18-08-2017, 12:42 PM
How soon do the clubs get the money as I'm sure I heard there's a club that wants to buy some seats

Not normally paid out until the end of that season.

Sean1875
18-08-2017, 12:42 PM

I read it the other day as 4.4million Euros. Nit picking though, agree with your point.

Keith_M
18-08-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm one of a rare bread that doesn't mind too much if the other Scottish Clubs (with two exceptions) progress in Europe, so well done Celtc, as they've basically qualified.

What does concern me is the sheer amount of money they'll get from this, putting them ever further beyond any possible challenge. We already can't compete with lower league English Clubs when it comes to signing half decent players and this is creating an even worse situation in our own league.

NYHibby
18-08-2017, 12:48 PM
This is from last year, but it explains why we are getting the money. http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398575.html

The solidarity payments to non-participating clubs via their national associations and/or leagues will now represent 5% of the overall gross revenues of the two competitions.

Of this amount, 80% will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues with at least one club participating in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 20% to national associations and/or leagues with no participating clubs in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Furthermore, as introduced for season 2015/16, the distribution to national associations and/or leagues will no longer be exclusively based on their market value. Instead, 60% of the available amounts will be distributed in equal shares among all national associations and/or leagues and 40% will be distributed according to the value of the TV market of each respective association in the UEFA Champions League.

Only clubs not participating in the group stage of either the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League will be entitled to a share of these solidarity payments.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2017, 12:50 PM
£270k isn't a lot compared to Celtic's windfall, but for several SPFL clubs, it's an extremely important and timely windfall.

Hamilton, for example, only have £240k cash at hand, so this amount will give them much needed breathing space.

We need teams to survive in order to have a league to play in and this helps, so I welcome it.

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Indeed and that is why I think that if there is never going to be a way to change this situation to level the playing field then the culture of what it means to be a football fan has to change instead ...... IMO the seeds of that change have already been sewn and I make no apology for once again citing St Pauli football club as the benchmark for that new attitude.

This is a club where just being a St Pauli fan is far more important to their supporters than 70 million quid signings or a groaning trophy cabinet. The culture that surrounds the club and its view of the world is far more important to them than having the rest of Germany or Europe seething in jealousy over their domination on the pitch .... so much so that their fans would revolt en masse at the prospect of some Chinese or Russian billionaire trying to take it over and putting its fan led culture in jeopardy.

The net result of this is that even though the club currently languishes in Bundesliga 2, has never won a national competition and shares a city with a far larger and far more historically successful club the stadium is rammed every time they play at home. That is why any European football fan with more than a passing interest in the game knows who St Pauli football club are and admires the passion and dedication of the clubs support.

I'm sure the clubs fans would love to see it win the Bundesliga and be successful in Europe, but not at any cost and certainly not at the expense of the clubs identity .... for them just supporting the club and their pride in how they support it is by far and away the most important thing and for me that's exactly how Hibs and clubs like us should be approaching football these days.

I'm just as proud of the social history of Hibs as I am of any success it has on the pitch. I'm just as proud of the fact that we have one of the best, if not the best, strips in British football. I'm proud that we have a unique song to sing on the terraces that's admired by fans of other clubs, and envied by some :greengrin Its just as much a source of pride to me when I see and hear a fantastic backing from the terraces by the clubs fans as any win on the park gives me. I love it that Hibs are as much in the minds of the public due to the club appearing in popular culture like Trainspotting and Rebus as it is for anything it has done on the pitch.

In short .... Its guid tae be a Hibby even if we aren't Real Madrid or Barcelona and what more reason do you need to rock up at ER every Saturday than that.

GGTTH :aok:

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Meh. Not fussed. It doesn't have a great impact on our finances. season ticket sale, walk ups etc is what will drive any profit we make this year. Only with this we get to hear the "Bhoys" patronising the rest of Scottish fitbaw and how they're keeping clubs afloat.

Biggest thing for me, Hibs are self sufficient. too many clubs "rely on the old firm coin. Until we get back to a bigger league and an FA that will promote and back our game NOTHING will ever change. The rich will get richer and without disrespecting clubs like Killie/Motherwell they will continue to survive on bringing in journeymen and having crowds of 3k. That would require a short term hit financially but longer term for fan base, youth development and player recruitment it would be the rebirth of our game We've proven we're a passionate country for the sport.

Yes, this is good for Celtic but good for the overall landscape of Scottish football? Na not for me

Mr White
18-08-2017, 12:59 PM
We are scheduled to play them at Parkhead 3 or 4 days after the 2nd CL group stage match and at ER 3 or 4 days after the 6th group stage match.

I'll take that!

hibee_nation
18-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Indeed and that is why I think that if there is never going to be a way to change this situation to level the playing field then the culture of what it means to be a football fan has to change instead ...... IMO the seeds of that change have already been sewn and I make no apology for once again citing St Pauli football club as the benchmark for that new attitude.

This is a club where just being a St Pauli fan is far more important to their supporters than 70 million quid signings or a groaning trophy cabinet. The culture that surrounds the club and its view of the world is far more important to them than having the rest of Germany or Europe seething in jealousy over their domination on the pitch .... so much so that their fans would revolt en masse at the prospect of some Chinese or Russian billionaire trying to take it over and putting its fan led culture in jeopardy.

The net result of this is that even though the club currently languishes in Bundesliga 2, has never won a national competition and shares a city with a far larger and far more historically successful club the stadium is rammed every time they play at home. That is why any European football fan with more than a passing interest in the game knows who St Pauli football club are and admires the passion and dedication of the clubs support.

I'm sure the clubs fans would love to see it win the Bundesliga and be successful in Europe, but not at any cost and certainly not at the expense of the clubs identity .... for them just supporting the club and their pride in how they support it is by far and away the most important thing and for me that's exactly how Hibs and clubs like us should be approaching football these days.

I'm just as proud of the social history of Hibs as I am of any success it has on the pitch. I'm just as proud of the fact that we have one of the best, if not the best, strips in British football. I'm proud that we have a unique song to sing on the terraces that's admired by fans of other clubs, and envied by some :greengrin Its just as much a source of pride to me when I see and hear a fantastic backing from the terraces by the clubs fans as any win on the park gives me. I love it that Hibs are as much in the minds of the public due to the club appearing in popular culture like Trainspotting and Rebus as it is for anything it has done on the pitch.

In short .... Its guid tae be a Hibby even if we aren't Real Madrid or Barcelona and what more reason do you need to rock up at ER every Saturday than that.

I was gonna put THIS but i know it upsets some so well said fellow Hibee fan. :agree::gwa::flag:

Iggy Pope
18-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Primary reason why previously crap little clubs like Maribor, Braga etc are so far in front of us

Do Braga get a wee windfall every time Benfica or Sporting progress in the CL? Surely they will and I doubt they'll refuse it.

Iggy Pope
18-08-2017, 02:34 PM

They're also very trendy.Unbearably so.

But do they get a few bob from the exploits of Bayern and Dortmund? This windfall only happens here?

Edit. By the way, Hamburg can go **** themselves!

G B Young
18-08-2017, 02:42 PM
I don't actually understand why other Scottish clubs receive money as a result of Celtic's participation in the Champions League?

CropleyWasGod
18-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Meh. Not fussed. It doesn't have a great impact on our finances. season ticket sale, walk ups etc is what will drive any profit we make this year. Only with this we get to hear the "Bhoys" patronising the rest of Scottish fitbaw and how they're keeping clubs afloat.

Biggest thing for me, Hibs are self sufficient. too many clubs "rely on the old firm coin. Until we get back to a bigger league and an FA that will promote and back our game NOTHING will ever change. The rich will get richer and without disrespecting clubs like Killie/Motherwell they will continue to survive on bringing in journeymen and having crowds of 3k. That would require a short term hit financially but longer term for fan base, youth development and player recruitment it would be the rebirth of our game We've proven we're a passionate country for the sport.

Yes, this is good for Celtic but good for the overall landscape of Scottish football? Na not for me

It's 2 decent players for a year, or 1 for 2 years.

Mr White
18-08-2017, 03:24 PM
I don't actually understand why other Scottish clubs receive money as a result of Celtic's participation in the Champions League?

I think it's Uefa's payoff to compensate the qualifying club's domestic rivals (assuming domestic rivalry exists...) for the financial rewards that CL group stage clubs receive. It's not much but a "something is better than nothing" kind of compensation.

danhibees1875
18-08-2017, 03:25 PM
We're not going to compete with Celtic. That ship sailed before I was born, I've never known anything different and I doubt I ever will.

It's a bit of extra money to everyone so that each team in Scotland can secure 1/2 extra decent players and have a generally more entertaining game. If Celtic do well enough it maybe even means an extra European place (or at least not losing what we currently have).

Outwith rangers and Hearts, I'll support any Scottish team getting as far as they can in Europe.

Hfcwilson3192
18-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Always want our wee brothers from the west to do well in europe like they are the only ones flying the flag for our country. Hopefully we push on and try and get ourselves into the europa league group stages.

erin go bragh
18-08-2017, 03:53 PM
We're not going to compete with Celtic. That ship sailed before I was born, I've never known anything different and I doubt I ever will.

It's a bit of extra money to everyone so that each team in Scotland can secure 1/2 extra decent players and have a generally more entertaining game. If Celtic do well enough it maybe even means an extra European place (or at least not losing what we currently have).

Outwith rangers and Hearts, I'll support any Scottish team getting as far as they can in Europe.
Who would have thought Leicester would have competed with Man City ,Chelsea ect . They won the league. Nothing is impossible imo .
I agree with supporting every team bar the Huns and diet Huns in Europe tho .

hughio
18-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Excellent idea.Leanne please confirm agreement.:aok:

hughio
18-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Nice post
:top marks

hibsboy07
18-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Brilliant piece well put👏

Bishop Hibee
18-08-2017, 04:23 PM
I always want Celtc, Oldco/Newco and the Yams to lose every European game they play. The crowing from Celtic fans is unbearable enough post-treble without them doing well in Europe. Yes the £270K is welcome but it's chicken feed really compared to the £25m Celtc get. The demise of Oldco showed Scottish football can thrive without the OF. Imagine how much it would thrive if the league wasn't a one horse race?

NAE NOOKIE
18-08-2017, 06:34 PM
They're also very trendy.Unbearably so.

But do they get a few bob from the exploits of Bayern and Dortmund? This windfall only happens here?

Edit. By the way, Hamburg can go **** themselves!

I know mate, but they are trendy for the right reasons ..... better that than wild claims of having 100,000,000 so called 'supporters' all over the world like Real Madrid ... now that does make me puke.

St Pauli attract a certain demographic because of their socialist politics and 'punk' style fans ..... I don't think Hibs could make a go of that, but there are many facets of our identity which could be drawn upon to make us attractive as a club to follow. I don't think there's a lot of doubt that by and large we lean to the left as a support and are certainly more 'bohemian' in outlook than for example our city neighbours.

CockneyRebel
18-08-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm sure it's ring-fenced for youth development but an accountant could probably work his or her creative imagination in some respect.

Could just spend that money on youth development and then use what we would have spent of our own money on whatever we like?

Iggy Pope
18-08-2017, 06:53 PM
I know mate, but they are trendy for the right reasons ..... better that than wild claims of having 100,000,000 so called 'supporters' all over the world like Real Madrid ... now that does make me puke.

St Pauli attract a certain demographic because of their socialist politics and 'punk' style fans ..... I don't think Hibs could make a go of that, but there are many facets of our identity which could be drawn upon to make us attractive as a club to follow. I don't think there's a lot of doubt that by and large we lean to the left as a support and are certainly more 'bohemian' in outlook than for example our city neighbours.

Largely agree, 99%, but I also know a couple of Germans who puke at the thought of St Pauli being so hip.
The bloody t-shirts are everywhere.
I've had punks preach at me how to pronounce "ZanPowlee". Punks that wouldn't know a penalty box from their chocolate box.
Our identity has been out there for a long time and I think the club do OK by it. As fans of the club, we do too. James Connolly after all was "a good socialist and a ****ing good Hibby"... (copyright I. Welsh!)....

rcarter1
18-08-2017, 07:14 PM
I always want Celtc, Oldco/Newco and the Yams to lose every European game they play. The crowing from Celtic fans is unbearable enough post-treble without them doing well in Europe. Yes the £270K is welcome but it's chicken feed really compared to the £25m Celtc get. The demise of Oldco showed Scottish football can thrive without the OF. Imagine how much it would thrive if the league wasn't a one horse race?

I'm delighted to see Celtic into the group stages - that distraction for them gives us a better chance of winning the league.. :agree:

neil7908
18-08-2017, 09:41 PM
£270k isn't a lot compared to Celtic's windfall, but for several SPFL clubs, it's an extremely important and timely windfall.

Hamilton, for example, only have £240k cash at hand, so this amount will give them much needed breathing space.

We need teams to survive in order to have a league to play in and this helps, so I welcome it.

Breathing space yes but for how long? It's all short term thinking with no attempt to deal with the long term, structural issues in our game.

snooky
18-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Fair enough, it's a decent amount of cash but I still don't think it's beneficial for our game that one team, already miles ahead, is going to get an extra £30m+.

It's classic example of where things are in Scotland - we get scraps and are told to feel grateful.

It's short term thinking that is doing huge damage in the long run.

madabouthibs
18-08-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm quite happy for ANY Scottish club to do well on the Euro scene. If we get nearly half a million bucks from it then that's a huge bonus for us. Free money is always welcome. 😁

Hibbyradge
18-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Breathing space yes but for how long? It's all short term thinking with no attempt to deal with the long term, structural issues in our game.

They're separate issues, though.

The windfall money is a UEFA initiative, nothing to do with the structure of the Scottish game.

I don't understand how it would have been more beneficial to Hamilton, for example, if Celtic failed to qualify for the group stages.

The more money that comes into Scottish football, the better, imo.

CABBAGEMAD
18-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Do we qualify for the cash thought it was only the teams that were in the league the season that they won the league that get the windfall

Jim44
21-08-2017, 03:29 PM
There's more about this in the papers this morning. Rodgers is milking it saying that all the other Scottish clubs should be fawning over Celtic's progress in the Champions League as it's financially fantastic for Scottish football. Personally I find his attitude and comments quite patronising and think in fact he's winding folk up. I've really gone off him, not that I ever did like him.

Lancs Harp
21-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Im sure there's a certain irony in there somewhere. Celtic funding Rangers.

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Could just spend that money on youth development and then use what we would have spent of our own money on whatever we like?

Aye like a full size indoor training pitch

NAE NOOKIE
21-08-2017, 04:54 PM
There's more about this in the papers this morning. Rodgers is milking it saying that all the other Scottish clubs should be fawning over Celtic's progress in the Champions League as it's financially fantastic for Scottish football. Personally I find his attitude and comments quite patronising and think in fact he's winding folk up. I've really gone off him, not that I ever did like him.

Ach ... as soon as anybody gets the Celtic gig they seem to turn into a slaver ... look at Gordon Strachan, witty and funny as Southampton manager and then turned into a sarcastic, defensive prat after 10 minutes at Celtic.

ruthven_raiders
21-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Aye like a full size indoor training pitch

That's in the pipeline according to leeann, the next stage in the development of East Mains

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2017, 05:37 PM
That's in the pipeline according to leeann, the next stage in the development of East Mains

Aye ah ken. Wis just addin :-)

Jim44
21-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Nobody can argue that a few thousand quid is not to be sniffed at but I think things are going in the wrong direction in terms of rooting for success for one of your rivals. It is completely foreign to one of the fundamental forces of supporting a team ......... schadenfreude ......... the natural desire for your team to do well and for your opponents to do badly, and enjoying the misery that that brings. Stuff the coefficiancy argument for all that's worth. The same teams have been at the top for decades and there's no evidence to suggest that things are going to change in the near or distant future. Celtic's 'success can only breed success for them, not for us mere mortals. I would happily wave ta ta to a few grand if it meant our friends in the west were knocked off their self perpetuiting financial crutch.

oneone73
22-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Ach ... as soon as anybody gets the Celtic gig they seem to turn into a slaver ... look at Gordon Strachan, witty and funny as Southampton manager and then turned into a sarcastic, defensive prat after 10 minutes at Celtic.

Mowbray too.