PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Calderwood

cleanyman
16-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Underrated manager in my opinion.

cabbageandribs1875
16-08-2017, 11:59 AM
shame for him/his family etc, i too thought he was a decent manager, with or without that tan

SirDavidsNapper
16-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Wanted him at Hibs once apon a time. Shame for him.

Mr White
16-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Hopefully he can stay well for as long as possible before it starts to really affect him. Always seemed a genuine guy and a good character to have in our game. It's an awful disease that I've seen family members suffer from in the past. Best wishes to him and his friends and family.

blaikie
16-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Shame, one of the few Scottish to have reasonable success abroad.

snooky
16-08-2017, 12:18 PM
I liked Jimmy the manager - always told it like it is.
Sad news, that's a horrible disease.

Smartie
16-08-2017, 12:20 PM
He became a bit of a joke figure but I could never really work out why.

A passionate manager, he had a good track record at the clubs he'd been at, yet when he was linked with other jobs (such as ours) fans tended to reel away in disgust.

I loved his 2-4-4 formation thing that he did when he was chasing a game - sod the conservative approach, throw everything including the kitchen sink at teams in hope of getting something from it.

I know a few people at DAFC and a number of them blame him for the financial trouble they ended up in because of the lavish spending. But surely it is the director who signed off the cheques that is to blame, rather than a manager who should merely be identifying targets? The board should still be able to say "jog on", I'm sure Rod Petrie would back me on this.

Horrible illness, it has affected some of my family members too.

High-On-Hibs
16-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Must admit, I was never a huge fan of his. But having witnessed Alzheimer's first hand and how it impacts people, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hopefully the progression is very slow and he still has a good quality of life for a good few years.

Pretty Boy
16-08-2017, 12:24 PM
I always thought he suffered as a result of the Only an Excuse type parodies and people thinking they were an accurate reflection of him. He was a good manager and his record at Dunfermilne and Aberdeen in particular was massively undervalued and under appreciated by some.

Very sad news for him and his family as it really is a horrible disease. I hope he can stay well for as long as possible and hope for nothing but the best for him.

lucky
16-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Terrible illness and good luck to him.

There seemed to be a campaign against him in Scottish football but I don't know why. Seemed to do well at the pars, the Sheep and kept Killie up. Never heard any rumors about him but clearly a lot Chairman never wanted him

inglisavhibs
16-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Sad news, great character and not a bad manager either.

Sean1875
16-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Awful awful illness. Thoughts are with him.

Gatecrasher
16-08-2017, 12:31 PM
I always thought he suffered as a result of the Only an Excuse type parodies and people thinking they were an accurate reflection of him. He was a good manager and his record at Dunfermilne and Aberdeen in particular was massively undervalued and under appreciated by some.

Very sad news for him and his family as it really is a horrible disease. I hope he can stay well for as long as possible and hope for nothing but the best for him.

I always thought his time at Aberdeen had always been overlooked. I could only dream of Hibs having a run like that in Europe. I was wondering why he'd been so long without a job and maybe this is the reason why.

-Jonesy-
16-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Terrible illness, claimed my great granny and now destroying my gran. Leaves me fearing for my own old dear and even myself. Also predicted to become the number one cause of death over the next 20 years, hopefully medical science can get a better understanding of it soon and work towards better treatment and/or prevention.

Since90+2
16-08-2017, 12:44 PM
I always thought he was a decent manager and found it surprising he was never given a job in the top flight in Scotland in recent years.

He last managed in Scotland in 2011 at Ross County with a record of 7 wins , 6 draws and only 4 defeats which is a pretty decent return.

That's according to Wikipedia but now I think about it did he not manage somewhere in Scotland more recently than that?

Mr White
16-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I always thought he was a decent manager and found it surprising he was never given a job in the top flight in Scotland in recent years.

He last managed in Scotland in 2011 at Ross County with a record of 7 wins , 6 draws and only 4 defeats which is a pretty decent return.

That's according to Wikipedia but now I think about it did he not manage somewhere in Scotland more recently than that?

Killie briefly for the last few games of a season about 3 or 4 years back?

Edit: looks like that was before he managed County.

Golden Bear
16-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Likeable character who found it difficult to gain employment in recent years. Best of luck for the future Jimmy, hopefully medical science will come up with an answer to the dreaded disease in the not to distant future.

Frazerbob
16-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Very sad news. I ended up gate crashing his leaving party after we played Aberdeen in his final game in charge of them. Had a couple of beers with him. Thoroughly decent chap and very complimentary about Hibs. Best wishes to him.

jacomo
16-08-2017, 03:26 PM
He's only 62. I really feel for him and his family.

I remember a Scottish Cup tie, I think when he was managing Aberdeen. We won and he was very gracious in defeat, full of praise for Hibs. He always seemed a gentleman to me and a not bad manager either.

heretoday
16-08-2017, 03:36 PM
That's a shame. He is a real Scottish football character.

Scottie
16-08-2017, 03:45 PM
That's a shame. He is a real Scottish football character.
:agree: Terrible news for Jim and the family. Hope he can live life to the full. Good luck on the road ahead.

Greentinted
16-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Worked with him when he was Dunfy gaffer and was as large a character off the field as on it. Certainly knew his stuff - can only wish him and those close to him well.

NAE NOOKIE
16-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Horrible illness, such a shame to hear this ... not a bad manager was Jimmy and a great character in a game that needs more not less of them. All the best to him.

IGRIGI
16-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Horrible at any age but at 62 it's quite shocking.

Always thought he was a very decent manager, gave Aberdeen some tremendous European nights.

kaimendhibs
16-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Very sad news.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
16-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Terrible news, very sad.

Alzheimers is an awful disease and one that seems to disproportionately affect footballers - the old leather balls being a significant contributory factor.

There have been some incredible advances in its treatment with drugs now available which can reduce its impact. But any way you wrap it up it's horrible for everyone involved!

KDY Hibs
16-08-2017, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=cleanyman;5144716]Diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Really sorry to hear, not enough credit given for his league positions at both Aberdeen and Dunfermline. I even mentioned him as a possible Hibs Manager a few years back.

Lago
16-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Sad, very sad.

Scorrie
16-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Very sad news. A passionate football man and a decent bloke by all accounts. Horrible illness

High-On-Hibs
16-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Have spoken to a few Dunfermline fans who have informed me that Calderwood took great care of their fans. Including booking hotels for their supporter association members during away games and giving fans lifts back home in bad weather. Never realized he was such a classy guy. I take back any of the negative things i've said about him in the past.

Sir David Gray
16-08-2017, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't wish this illness on my worst enemy.

I was really saddened to hear this news today and although this illness can't be beaten at the moment I hope his quality of life is as good as it possibly can be for as long as possible.

heidtheba
16-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Have spoken to a few Dunfermline fans who have informed me that Calderwood took great care of their fans. Including booking hotels for their supporter association members during away games and giving fans lifts back home in bad weather. Never realized he was such a classy guy. I take back any of the negative things I've
said about him in the past.

Great story that. I didn't know it either. Although I didn't have much of an opinion either way about the man, a lot of what I did have was based on the inevitable 'Only an Excuse' character. Good to hear of people who love the game so much that they behave like this, so easy to get disillusioned with £200m transfer fees and 500k a week salaries.

The Harp Awakes
16-08-2017, 09:35 PM
I know Jimmy through a friend of a friend, and he's been living with knowledge of the disease for a while before going public on it now. He's a likeable guy and was a very able Manager in his time.

I remember speaking to him on a couple of occasions when the Hibs job was vacant and his name had been mentioned; I think when the other Calderwood got the job and Pat Fenlon. He said on both occasions that he was flattered to be linked with the Hibs job and that Hibernian were a great Club. Generous praise from a guy who was born in Govan and grew up a Rangers fan.

Gutted for Jimmy and his family.

Baw187
16-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Horrible illness and a real shame to hear this news.

NOLA
16-08-2017, 10:28 PM
All those sunbeds taken there toll eh in all seriousness good luck to him and his family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monktonharp
16-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Hopefully he can stay well for as long as possible before it starts to really affect him. Always seemed a genuine guy and a good character to have in our game. It's an awful disease that I've seen family members suffer from in the past. Best wishes to him and his friends and family.yep. bloody shame that he is affected at his age (62 now, saw it on tv.

OsloHibs
16-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Such an awful illness. Sad news.

monktonharp
16-08-2017, 10:44 PM
good to see him bearing up, and telling all. well done Jimmy

Deansy
16-08-2017, 11:48 PM
An evil, evil disease and the sooner science overcomes it the better - my Mum suffered from it and it was heart-breaking.

Steve-O
17-08-2017, 01:50 AM
Sad news that at the age of 62.

I read that he was on TV for the semi final v Hibs last season and he said something happened on there - anyone see it? I watched the game but not whatever coverage he was on as I recall.

AndyM_1875
17-08-2017, 07:18 AM
I like Jimmy. Always have done. Hope he gets the care and treatment he needs with this horrible disease.

When I was working in London I got a text from my pal telling me Calderwood had got the Hibs job. I was really happy about that.
Thought Jimmy was just what Hibs could have done with. Unfortunately we appointed the wrong Calderwood.

jacomo
17-08-2017, 08:54 AM
I like Jimmy. Always have done. Hope he gets the care and treatment he needs with this horrible disease.

When I was working in London I got a text from my pal telling me Calderwood had got the Hibs job. I was really happy about that.
Thought Jimmy was just what Hibs could have done with. Unfortunately we appointed the wrong Calderwood.

Ain't that the truth.

eastmainsmsh
17-08-2017, 09:14 AM
He was a breath of fresh air when he took over at dunfermline had them playing cracking stuff signing likes of jack de gier and skerla and did great at Aberdeen often wondered why he was away from football last couple of seasons horrible illness sad to hear a likeable man

vanNISHtelroy
17-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Killie briefly for the last few games of a season about 3 or 4 years back?

Edit: looks like that was before he managed County.

Saw this yesterday, such a shame for Jimmy and his family

He managed us and kept us up in 2010(?)......really wasn't pretty but it worked, stayed up on last day but fell out with the club over the number of coaches that he wanted to work under him etc. We appointed Mixu and Kenny the following season.

He then became seen as quite toxic after the stories of him bullying Ryan O'Leary over his depression were made public, think it happened at Aberdeen and Killie

eastmainsmsh
17-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Did he no manage go ahead eagles after kilmarnock

vanNISHtelroy
17-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Did he no manage go ahead eagles after kilmarnock

He might have, think he managed two Dutch clubs for a couple of months a couple of years apart

jdships
17-08-2017, 11:17 AM
good to see him bearing up, and telling all. well done Jimmy

:top marks
Good post :thumbsup:

frazeHFC
17-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I remember wanting him as manager when we then signed his namesake Colin. Awful illness, such a shame.

Blackfordhibby
17-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Very sad news, a larger than life character.

Tornadoes70
17-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Very sad to hear. He came across as a decent ordinary bloke who had a real talent for managing football teams. Best wishes Jimmy.

17-08-2017, 12:06 PM
So sad, an awful disease. All the best Jimmy, thinking of you and your family.

17-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Just watched an interview with him talking about being diagnosed. Seems a really humble and likeable character.