PDA

View Full Version : theft from Hibs shop

andybev1
15-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Police are appealing for witnesses after the theft of football tops from the Hibernian shop in Leith. Replica Hibernian football tops – nine home and nine away jerseys – to the value of a three-figure sum were stolen. The incident happened around 3pm on Friday August 11 when a man walked out of the Albion Place store without paying for the merchandise. He made his getaway in a black metallic Renault driven by a woman.

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/police-appeal-after-high-value-theft-from-hibs-store-1-4532822

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/police-appeal-after-high-value-theft-from-hibs-store-1-4532822 (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/police-appeal-after-high-value-theft-from-hibs-store-1-4532822)

Jones28
15-08-2017, 03:59 PM
****bag

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Is there no CCTV in the place? :dunno:

Viva_Palmeiras
15-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Some sort of bizarre Fringe act?

SanFranHibs
15-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Hibs fans....do not buy tops from any unauthorised source.

You owe it to the club to do the right thing. :greengrin

Or in this case do not do the wrong thing.

EH6 Hibby
15-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Is there no CCTV in the place? :dunno:

There surely must be CCTV outside at least. It's part of the stadium!

Argylehibby
15-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Some sort of bizarre Fringe act?

Nope, theft from the shop is an ongoing problem and is the reason for restricting the numbers getting in on match days. Unfortunately there are some Hibs fans happy to buy the stolen goods so if there is a market then someone will try to supply it.

SanFranHibs
15-08-2017, 04:06 PM
There surely must be CCTV outside at least. It's part of the stadium!

My first thought too !! At least get the model of the black metallic Renault if not the number.

CraigHibee
15-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Hopefully the thieving ****s get caught

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Must be cctv considering how packed it is after matches.

Edit - dirty ******** stealing it.

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Don't buy any knock off Hibs gear and get the little scrote caught :grr:

StevieT
15-08-2017, 04:12 PM
I believe that this is at least the second time the shop has been hit this season. This why they restrict numbers inside the shop on match days. This makes things difficult for shoppers as the queues are long and people just can't be bothered waiting, especially if you want to browse around. However, I understand the reasons for this and hope that the culprits are found quickly

dp00
15-08-2017, 04:15 PM
When I was in before the Patrick then guy in shop told me that they had stuff stolen that day which is why he couldn't go check a size for me as he wasn't allowed to leave the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
15-08-2017, 04:17 PM
What a wee ****bag. Hope he gets caught.

MyJo
15-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Not content with stealing the stuff they have rammed a few cars making thier escape including one with young kids in it who were understandably distraught afterwards.

Hope the s**mbags get caught.

Sean1875
15-08-2017, 04:29 PM
18 Hibs tops **** sake.

Hope anyone that gets offered any tops on the cheap is sensible enough to turn it down and report them. ****my *******s.

mutley
15-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Now, I have to ask, where we're the staff when this happened. When it's busy on March day there is Security, and if it was quiet, how can you not see someone walking out with 18 tops? Shoplifting happens, and I know there are "pros" at it, but surely taking 18 off the racks and walking out is a tad obvious.

Hope they catch the perpetrator and prosecute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CropleyWasGod
15-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Now, I have to ask, where we're the staff when this happened. When it's busy on March day there is Security, and if it was quiet, how can you not see someone walking out with 18 tops? Shoplifting happens, and I know there are "pros" at it, but surely taking 18 off the racks and walking out is a tad obvious.

Bit unfair on the staff, IMO.

I'm not sure that I'd be keen on challenging someone like that. Who knows what weapon they might have?

Mr White
15-08-2017, 05:21 PM

They could have been reasonably subtle about gathering the tops between them before making a run towards the exit while the staff were busy with other customers before jumping into a waiting vehicle. Not much anyone could do about that surely?

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Happens all the time and very easily done, takes seconds to grab and run, most likely been in for a while organised all the hangers the right way etc and then lift and run into car. Happened plenty of times at Jenners at South St David street doors in the past.

mutley
15-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Fair enough, I suppose it could have been a walk in, grab and sprint out into a waiting car and off, but if this is the second time something similar has happened then perhaps something needs look at, like minimal on display and you just collect from the counter (a few times I have taken a top from the rack, over to the counter to be given a new one in the packet), maybe do that for all?

Edit: typos

MyJo
15-08-2017, 05:27 PM

I think it was more a case of them grabbing a handful and bolting out the door to a waiting car rather than him walking around the shop stuffing strips up his jumper.

As to the staff i would expect them to challenge someone they see shoplifting but in this situation i would imagine the club would rather lose a dozen strips than see anyone harmed chasing them down the street, especially when they were happy to ram cars off the road to get away.

seanshow
15-08-2017, 05:29 PM
When I went down to buy my top on a week day there was only one girl behind the counter and one other guy at the strip lettering counter who was coming and going.
But you can't allow for some tw*t trying to do a runner with loads of strips, stealing from the club, deary me! :confused: .... more expense for Hibs if you need a doorman 6 days a week, p!$s poor.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Anyone know the whereabouts of a Gary O'Connor when this was going on? :wink:

Keith_M
15-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Anybody know of any Hibs 'Fans' that sell dodgy Hibs gear on the Internet, by any chance?

:hmmm:

mutley
15-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Anybody know of any Hibs 'Fans' that sell dodgy Hibs gear on the Internet, by any chance?

:hmmm:

I'm guessing it's just some lowlife looking at an easy target knowing that (Wrongly) people will buy them.

iwasthere1972
15-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Is it a coincidence that nine of each of the home and away tops were chored or is there a nine a side football league in Edinburgh? :wink:

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I think it was more a case of them grabbing a handful and bolting out the door to a waiting car rather than him walking around the shop stuffing strips up his jumper.

As to the staff i would expect them to challenge someone they see shoplifting but in this situation i would imagine the club would rather lose a dozen strips than see anyone harmed chasing them down the street, especially when they were happy to ram cars off the road to get away.

The staff shouldn't have to challenge them it's well beyond their job description. Why there's no cctv internally securing the shop is mental though.

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Is it a coincidence that nine of each of the home and away tops were chored or is there a nine a side football league in Edinburgh? :wink:

Well if it's a Hibs fan choring them on the sly for his team he's ****** and deserves a smash in the coupon.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 05:55 PM
The staff shouldn't have to challenge them it's well beyond their job description. Why there's no cctv internally securing the shop is mental though.

CCTV won't stop them!

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 06:04 PM
CCTV won't stop them!

CCTV pic on BBC online and in the next match day programme will shame the see you next Tuesday, course it will.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 06:06 PM
CCTV pic on BBC online and in the next match day programme will shame the see you next Tuesday, course it will.

Sorry mate but you have no idea of how these folk think or how they live. They couldn't care less about CCTV, it is no deterrent at all to people who commit these offences trust me.

Joe6-2
15-08-2017, 06:08 PM
18 Hibs tops **** sake.

Hope anyone that gets offered any tops on the cheap is sensible enough to turn it down and report them. ****my *******s.

Sadly there are too many willing to buy stolen goods

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Sadly there are too many willing to buy stolen goods

Yes that and the fact that there is no real punishment for the odd occasion they are caught anyway. Repeat known offenders hit shops everyday, many of them are known to Police and Security staff but it doesn'the stop them. The CCTV may well be useful as evidence if they are ever caught but there simply isn't the resources to pursue them all and they know it. Occupational hazard if they get caught the odd one in twenty or more thefts.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Sorry mate but you have no idea of how these folk think or how they live. They couldn't care less about CCTV, it is no deterrent at all to people who commit these offences trust me.

I'm not really bothered how these folk think, CCTV pictures of these people will give us a better chance of finding them.

It would also bring about a more than realistic chance of someone recognising them, and perhaps a little retribution that they might not expect if arrested by the police if you catch my drift?

oneone73
Anyone know the whereabouts of a Gary O'Connor when this was going on? :wink:

Too far.

givescotlandfreedom
It said in the EEN article that the thieves escaped in a Renault car which is maybe to be expected given there are thousands of missing SEATs in Gorgie.

SirDavidsNapper
15-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Very sad situation. Hope these morons are caught.

snooky
15-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Very sad situation. Hope these morons are caught.

That's awfi' close to 'maroon', BTW.

SirDavidsNapper
15-08-2017, 06:23 PM
That's awfi' close to 'maroon', BTW.

Lol. I can see how it would be tempting for a Jambo to steal Hibs gear.

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Fair play man. Shanner then.

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm not really bothered how these folk think, CCTV pictures of these people will give us a better chance of finding them.

It would also bring about a more than realistic chance of someone recognising them, and perhaps a little retribution that they might not expect if arrested by the police if you catch my drift?

That's what I was thinking/hoping for too.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Having previously worked in the game for ten years I certainly do catch your drift as I hate the thieving ******* with a passion. However I was replying to feeling that CCTV might have prevented it and protected the stock which it wouldn't do. Then you have the fact that unlike in England there is hardly ever a cctv release relating to shoplifting by the Police and the club wouldn't be allowed to release it. The best retribution we can wish for is that any decent Hibee offered a shirt takes appropriate action.

Phil MaGlass
15-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Too far.

You mean he didnae get too far

HIBEELASS
15-08-2017, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=mutley;5143985]Now, I have to ask, where we're the staff when this happened. When it's busy on March day there is Security, and if it was quiet, how can you not see someone walking out with 18 tops? Shoplifting happens, and I know there are "pros" at it, but surely taking 18 off the racks and walking out is a tad obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

That's harsh. Much as I love Hibs and am totally disgusted with theft from our club, my daughter works in shop. The theft was obviously planned and organised and I would not want her to come to any harm trying to stop thieves who could be armed or violent.

barcahibs
15-08-2017, 07:57 PM
I worked in a shop (not the Hibs shop) and I can say now there is no chance I'd have challenged a shoplifter - not for what I was getting paid.

Friend of mine, way back in the day, had the job of filling up cash machines late at night. His explicit instructions if he were ever to be robbed were to smile and hand over the money. If a couple of grand of banknotes aren't worth someone's wellbeing then a few football tops definitely aren't.

Anyhow, I suspect someone out there will have some relevant information. Hopefully they hand it over to the police.

givescotlandfreedom
15-08-2017, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=mutley;5143985]Now, I have to ask, where we're the staff when this happened. When it's busy on March day there is Security, and if it was quiet, how can you not see someone walking out with 18 tops? Shoplifting happens, and I know there are "pros" at it, but surely taking 18 off the racks and walking out is a tad obvious.

That's harsh. Much as I love Hibs and am totally disgusted with theft from our club, my daughter works in shop. The theft was obviously planned and organised and I would not want her to come to any harm trying to stop thieves who could be armed or violent.

I've no personal connection to staff working there but agree it's not worth them getting a hiding or worse over it.

Mick O'Rourke
15-08-2017, 08:01 PM

Does the shop have spy cameras?
Maybe the shop needs to employ full time security,not just on matchdays.
I would not expect counter staff to be chasing shoplifters.

As for it being "planned and organised"
Well they obviously planned to rob the store, but were not very organised.
The thief was spotted and the getaway, according to reports,nearly resulted in injury to passengers of another car the thieves collided with.
I think they will be caught, if the car belonged to them ( and not stolen)
The police will be taking the getaway and collision more serious than the theft.
The make of the car is known.
So any camera footage caught in surrounding streets should be helpful.

NOLA
16-08-2017, 12:13 AM

I'd imagine cctv will be installed shortly

Hfcwilson3192
16-08-2017, 02:09 AM
Only a jambo would do this especially the now

lyonhibs
16-08-2017, 05:45 AM
Only a jambo would do this especially the now

I sadly suspect you're wrong on that one. Thieving *******s follow all football clubs, including our own.

Might not even have been a football fan, just someone out to make a quick buck.

HibeeMassive
16-08-2017, 08:10 AM
I'd imagine cctv will be installed shortly

Pretty sure they do have CCTV already. Used to know someone who worked in the shop and was shown a still image of someone who had been caught on camera stealing from the shop, so am guessing it came from shop CCTV.

He looked very like someone we knew, which is why I was shown it - but thankfully it wasn't :greengrin

erin go bragh
16-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Did they get any xl ? :) I blame Miss Dempster . This would never had happened under Butcher . You couldn't give the tops away under that incumbent.
Theives will steal anything they can sell unfortunately.
Would hope the theif is not s Hibby .

Coults1875
21-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Did they get any xl ? :) I blame Miss Dempster . This would never had happened under Butcher . You couldn't give the tops away under that incumbent.
Theives will steal anything they can sell unfortunately.
Would hope the theif is not s Hibby .

Apparently they got all the XLs :confused: Just been told it will be mid September before any XL stock is back in. Wouldn't be so bothered had i been informed but i had to ask the store whats going on with my order after they took the payment without any hassle. Think they are playing this theft card to cover up a blunder elsewhere considering the high demand for the away top especially.

Mick O'Rourke
21-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Apparently they got all the XLs :confused: Just been told it will be mid September before any XL stock is back in. Wouldn't be so bothered had i been informed but i had to ask the store whats going on with my order after they took the payment without any hassle. Think they are playing this theft card to cover up a blunder elsewhere considering the high demand for the away top especially.

I am sure that comment was made in jest.
The police are investigating not only the theft but a "hit and run" incident during the getaway.

Coults1875
21-08-2017, 01:41 PM
[/B]
I am sure that comment was made in jest.
The police are investigating not only the theft but a "hit and run" incident during the getaway.

Nope, regardless if it is a hit and run or not (hope no one is hurt!) surely a shop in which its sole reason for being is to sell hibs merchandise should be able to restock their main key sales item - strips! In the running up to the release of this top they issued statements advising us of expected high demand etc etc so if they knew about this then surely a plan should have been in place to combat it even after the initial sales hit?

Phil MaGlass
21-08-2017, 05:40 PM

Jees XL,s nicked. Thats 50% of our support XXL is 30% doesnae really leave any of us anything

Mick O'Rourke
21-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Nope, regardless if it is a hit and run or not (hope no one is hurt!) surely a shop in which its sole reason for being is to sell hibs merchandise should be able to restock their main key sales item - strips! In the running up to the release of this top they issued statements advising us of expected high demand etc etc so if they knew about this then surely a plan should have been in place to combat it even after the initial sales hit?
Hold yer horses
You suggested the robbery was made up because your size of strip was not available.

Medium does me .

I keep fit !!

Or am just a skinny b#gger;-)

PS
I hope you get your big top before the nexty home game!!

Twiglet
21-08-2017, 07:29 PM

I was in the day after the theft and they have quite a few xl's. They weren't all stolen. XL was the smallest size they had that day.
No cover up but a theft. Can't believe it would even be suggested.

Coults1875
21-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Hold yer horses
You suggested the robbery was made up because your size of strip was not available.

Medium does me .

I keep fit !!

Or am just a skinny b#gger;-)

PS
I hope you get your big top before the nexty home game!!

Never once said it was made up. Just said they are using it to their full advantage. Good for you being fit and a medium, unfortunately for me you can still be fit and an XL! Yeah hopefully, it's my own fault for not buying it on the release day but hey ho will learn for next time!

Coults1875
21-08-2017, 08:17 PM
I was in the day after the theft and they have quite a few xl's. They weren't all stolen. XL was the smallest size they had that day.
No cover up but a theft. Can't believe it would even be suggested.

Again didn't say it was a cover up. Just said they are using the theft card very well as an excuse to not having stock. As mentioned previously I was told that all xls were all stolen hence why my top couldn't get delivered.