PDA

View Full Version : Sir David Gray

RossScott1991
15-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Sir David Grays situation this season. I know it's still early days and he should get plenty of playing time this season. He signed a 2 year contract so is obviously happy at Hibs, just wondering if you think he will eventually get unhappy as the season goes on at prospect of playing half the amount of games he has in previous seasons, and coming on with 15/20 mins to go in certain games. He's obviously gone from club captain, playing in all the big games to potentially being 2nd choice and making cameo appearances off the bench.

Whittaker is playing well since returning and warrants his position, just hoping Gray is patient , he still has a few years on whittaker, I'd hate the thought of him being unhappy at club if he gets less playing time. Whittaker is a better player, but the love for Sir Davie after the cup final is too much I want him to stick around for a few seasons more and not follow others from that team out the door.

Billy Whizz
15-08-2017, 02:53 PM
He's got a fight on his hands to get a regular starting spot. However Lennon's got these sort of nice dilemmas all over the park at the moment
It's a long long season, and you never know what's ahead with injuries and suspensions
He's the team captain, so hope he remains calm and focused

High-On-Hibs
15-08-2017, 02:56 PM
David Gray will know what he needs to do in order to play more games. All the players are in the same boat. We're spoilt for options at the moment and that's a great problem to have.

B.H.F.C
15-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Probably the biggest legend in the history of the club. But I don't think Lennon is the sentimental type. If there is a better player available, which Whittaker is, they've got to play. It's the only way we'll improve.

IMO Gray was fairly average last season as well.

RossScott1991
15-08-2017, 02:58 PM
He's got a fight on his hands to get a regular starting spot. However Lennon's got these sort of nice dilemmas all over the park at the moment
It's a long long season, and you never know what's ahead with injuries and suspensions

Agreed mate, it is a nice dilemma, by no means jumping the gun yet as I do think he will get his chance. More just looking at it from his point of view. Players say they love competition etc but when you go from playing every game and minute. Missing out on starting away to likes of Ibrox etc it must be tough. I hope he sticks in, would love him to see out majority of rest of his career here.

Iain G
15-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Whitty will be used in both fullback positions and maybe even midfield this season so there will be opportunities for SDG, will be good to keep our fullbacks fresh and having Whitty allows us to rest either of the fullbacks.

Hoping for a long season with good runs in both cup comps.

jacomo
15-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Lenny likes to change the shape and tactics a lot so SDG will get opportunities. I am hoping this Hibs squad has enough options to beat the traditional post New Year slump.

Stewboy
15-08-2017, 03:04 PM
SDG as a backup right back? That shows how strong our squad is

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 03:10 PM
He should have started on Saturday imo. Whittaker is better when we are controlling the tempo.

darwenhibby
15-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Another option could be push Whittaker to right midfield and Gray slots to his normal position in the absence of Boyle
Appreciate we didn't use this on Saturday but options all over the squad now
Great problems to have
GGTTH

Vault Boy
15-08-2017, 03:13 PM

This. Sir Dave would walk into most starting XIs in Scotland. Including Hearts and Rangers.

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 03:14 PM
What a great conversation to be having, just shows how far we have progressed under Lennon. SDG will know he has a fight on his hands and will be all the better for it.

PS I first thought this thread was about the tennis loving, manc sympathiser our very own SDG ;-)

1van Sprou7e
15-08-2017, 03:17 PM
He should have started on Saturday imo. Whittaker is better when we are controlling the tempo.

Agree, he always seems to perform against the huns too

J-C
15-08-2017, 03:20 PM
I wonder if Gray knew Whittaker was coming when he signed his new deal, if he did then he knows what he has to do to play regularly, if he didn't then I wonder if he might have knocked us back and moved elsewhere. I think we'll play Gray in a back 4 where defensive solidity is needed and Whittaker when we go 3 at the back and push forward on the counter.

Stewboy
15-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Another option could be push Whittaker to right midfield and Gray slots to his normal position in the absence of Boyle
Great problems to have
GGTTH

Exactly. Options!

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Agree, he always seems to perform against the huns too

Yep and it was always going to be a hard situation for Whitty. Fair call though we won, I'm no bothered :greengrin

Baader
15-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Sir Dave should be offered a fifty year deal.

Albanian Hibs
15-08-2017, 03:51 PM
David Gray at full back before Whittaker every time for me. Was disappointed he didnt start against the huns.

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2017, 03:52 PM
He will get his opportunity sooner or later. To be honest I've yet to see the startling difference that makes Steven Whittaker a shoe in for the starting place at right back. I've yet to see him bring anything more to the attacking side of things than David Gray has and I remain to be convinced that SDG would have been roasted by Windass the way Whittaker was a couple of times on Saturday.

If you want to be totally picky you could also ask where the 6 foot Whittaker was at the first goal .... totally caught out by a ball he could have attacked if he had been positioned better.

I'm not saying Whittaker isn't a good player, he clearly is and he probably needs a bit more game time to get fully up to speed, all I'm saying is that from the evidence so far he is a long way from consigning David Gray to the bench for the rest of the season.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Sir David Grays situation this season. I know it's still early days and he should get plenty of playing time this season. He signed a 2 year contract so is obviously happy at Hibs, just wondering if you think he will eventually get unhappy as the season goes on at prospect of playing half the amount of games he has in previous seasons, and coming on with 15/20 mins to go in certain games. He's obviously gone from club captain, playing in all the big games to potentially being 2nd choice and making cameo appearances off the bench.

Whittaker is playing well since returning and warrants his position, just hoping Gray is patient , he still has a few years on whittaker, I'd hate the thought of him being unhappy at club if he gets less playing time. Whittaker is a better player, but the love for Sir Davie after the cup final is too much I want him to stick around for a few seasons more and not follow others from that team out the door.

He's unable to play if suspended. If folks aspire to play at the top level for the big clubs they need to handle the competition that comes with it. Lennon has experience of managing this. It's over to him.
Itll be a long season we need a squad. You need to train be ready and take opportunities. That should go throughout the team otherwise your selling yourself your team and your fans short.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-defensive-duo-suspended-for-start-of-premiership-season-1-4435272

hibeesjoe
15-08-2017, 04:00 PM
I thought thistles goal was a mix up between Whittaker and ambrose and The rangers 1st goal was the exact same. Don't see why Gray has been dropped and hopefully he starts getting game time soon.

number9dream
15-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Great problems to have
GGTTH

Yup. Wouldn't mind seeing that on Saturday if we go with a back four. However, I think Lenny really likes the first-choice three centre-halves - and with good reason.

Jones28
15-08-2017, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Whittiker will be used in a RWB more and SDG as annout and out RB?

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 04:28 PM
I wonder if Whittiker will be used in a RWB more and SDG as annout and out RB?

The time for that would have been Saturday surely?

_hucks_
15-08-2017, 04:31 PM

Not with three centre halves on the pitch

Jones28
15-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Exactly, we played a 5-3-2 with Whittiker as a wing back. So what I'm saying is maybe when we go 442 DG will feature more

The_Sauz
15-08-2017, 04:37 PM
SW is not a natural defender SDG is :agree: SW is far better in CM/RM position as he played there as a kid and in the youth team (Scott Brown was signed a striker :agree:).
I remember Old Rangers played him as a midfielder, and he scored quiet a few goal for them, but we have a strong midfield just now, so I can't see him playing there on a regular bases!

Smartie
15-08-2017, 04:40 PM
I'd have played Gray on Saturday. I just think he's stronger defensively (whilst not being bad going forward) and we need our leaders on the park when we play Rangers. Plus, he loves a wee goal against them.

I wasn't at the game but I've seen the goals. How did Whittaker play? I take it he was getting it tight from the Sevconians?

I'd be tempted to play Whittaker when we're piling forward but Gray if we're likely to come under a bit of pressure.

Gray was never at his best when we were breaking down wee teams but he's always been superb against Rangers, in derbies, the game in Copenhagen, in cup games etc.

I think we'll see a lot of both of them this season, both are still well worth having.

Allant1981
15-08-2017, 04:40 PM
gray is a better defender than whittaker and it was plain to see on saturday, whittaker is probably the better footballer though. good problems to have

The_Sauz
15-08-2017, 04:42 PM
I thought thistles goal was a mix up between Whittaker and ambrose and The rangers 1st goal was the exact same. Don't see why Gray has been dropped and hopefully he starts getting game time soon.
You have to remember players take time to gel and form a understanding with each other!

superfurryhibby
15-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Gray is a warrior and he'll battle hard for a place in the side. He faces stiff competition and that is a great thing for Hibs. This squad is ****ging up to be one of the best and most balanced we have had in many a year, there is competition all over the fiield with a fine blend of youth and experience!

I think we need to fasten the seatbelts and brace ourselves for an amazing journey this season. Gray will contribute mightilly, I have no doubt.

Elephant Stone
15-08-2017, 05:30 PM
David Gray at full back before Whittaker every time for me. Was disappointed he didnt start against the huns.

This is where I'm at as well. I might change my mind but I reckon Gray is a better defender and I love the aggression and drive he brings to the team. Hopefully they both play a massive part this season.

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2017, 05:35 PM
He should have started on Saturday imo. Whittaker is better when we are controlling the tempo.I agree...tin hat on here but SDG is far better defensively that whitts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
15-08-2017, 05:38 PM
He will get his opportunity sooner or later. To be honest I've yet to see the startling difference that makes Steven Whittaker a shoe in for the starting place at right back. I've yet to see him bring anything more to the attacking side of things than David Gray has and I remain to be convinced that SDG would have been roasted by Windass the way Whittaker was a couple of times on Saturday.

If you want to be totally picky you could also ask where the 6 foot Whittaker was at the first goal .... totally caught out by a ball he could have attacked if he had been positioned better.

I'm not saying Whittaker isn't a good player, he clearly is and he probably needs a bit more game time to get fully up to speed, all I'm saying is that from the evidence so far he is a long way from consigning David Gray to the bench for the rest of the season.Absolutely this 110% imo but great position for us to be in

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
15-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Sir Dave should be offered a fifty year deal.

Fifty years of Gray? The mind boggles ;)

15-08-2017, 05:39 PM
There's no reason why both won't get plenty of game time. As others have said, it's a squad game these days, plus with changes in formations and injuries there may be times when both play.

If Lennon gets it right (and I'm confident if anyone can, he can) he'll keep the players as fresh as possible by leaving them out from time to time. This will hopefully mean their performance levels don't drop, the chances of injuries will be reduced and we'll be able to sustain a challenge near the top of the league through to the end of the season.

It didn't matter who played at RB on Saturday it was always going to be 3-2. Even if it had been Roger Whittaker or Macy Gray.

ancient hibee
15-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Whittaker is far better going forward and much better at passing the ball than Gray who is the better defender.Horses for courses.The idea of playing Whittaker in midfield is daft in my opinion.It's not his position and with the size of squad we have there's no need to play stopgaps out of position.One of the biggest mistakes managers make is when they don't have the guts to make a choice and play the better player but instead try to play them both and end up weakening two positions.Don't think Lennon will fall for that.

familyman
15-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Gray is a better defender than Whittaker and it was plain to see on saturday, whittaker is probably the better footballer though. good problems to have

Well I do not see it as either or., Gray is still a good full back and should be in there, Whitaker was off pace early doors on Saturday but can be moved around I suggest to left back as LS is not too tall when defending corners and free kicks although can be utilised more effectively further up the park as he has drive and hard to get the ball off..Plenty room to move players around at long last,but we need to keep them all motivated and on the bench is not the way..so let us hope David is back up and running soon.Ambrose needs to reduce those cross filed wanderings as well.
All in all a good dilemma but early days so various permutations will be carried out I feel sure.
Best squad in ages....

Waxy
15-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Sir David.Yes we should renew his contract every two years and let him do what he wants.THE legend.

MyJo
15-08-2017, 06:57 PM
For me it's Gray first choice when we are playing with a back 4, Whittaker offers more playing as a wing back when we are playing 3-5-2.

Whittaker is also a utility player that can cover left back and central midfield while i would also have him playing right midfield in front of Gray against teams with strong wingers.

plenty of options and a much better situation to be in than relying on 1 player for a position and when injured or suspended having to plug the gap with players that can "do a job" in that position. long may it continue

Roxyhibee
15-08-2017, 06:57 PM
The season has barely started - I think you'll find SDG will get plenty games. Apart from simple player rotation there are so many scenarios which will allow him in - injury at left back will switch Whittaker to left / midfield bolstering or shuffle during a game / Whittaker being rested or coming off with plenty time for a forthcmoning to protect his older legs, etc..

And I think as SDG is one of our injury prone players that he'll be happy getting chances and showing how good he can still be when they happen.

Let's just be happy we've got such an impressive strong squad - long hard season ahead.

emerald green
15-08-2017, 07:02 PM
David Gray is a better defender than Whittaker, who I feel got totally skinned by the Rangers winger (Windass? not sure) which almost led to The Rangers going 2-0 up on Saturday. Ball eventually came off the post and was cleared.

That said, I'm glad Hibs have signed SW. It's a long season and cover is required.

High-On-Hibs
15-08-2017, 07:07 PM
David Gray is a better defender than Whittaker, who I feel got totally skinned by the Rangers winger (Windass? not sure) which almost led to The Rangers going 2-0 up on Saturday. Ball eventually came off the post and was cleared.

That said, I'm glad Hibs have signed SW. It's a long season and cover is required.

As mince as they are overall. Windass is probably their strongest player when on form. Whether Gray would have done better against him or not is debatable.

Speedway
15-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Whittaker impressed me v Partick but not at Ibrox.

SDG will get game time.

Mikey09
15-08-2017, 11:34 PM
They'll both play this season. Lennon has done fantastic bringing in Whittaker who can cover many positions. SDG is a top pro who knows how a club needs a proper squad and not just a good 11. Gray will play a huge part this season.

snooky
15-08-2017, 11:45 PM
gray is a better defender than whittaker and it was plain to see on saturday, whittaker is probably the better footballer though. good problems to have

TBH, I'm a better defender than Whittaker.

BigT-Hibeez
16-08-2017, 12:51 AM
I agree with most on here that Gray is a better defender, but SW is a better football player and has a calmness about him that I like, and I think his experience is already influencing our squads recent form..
Lennon is the Irish Tinkerman, let him decide when either plays and support the team regardless I say..

HoboHarry
16-08-2017, 02:05 AM
Me anaw - the older I get the better I was.........

RIP
16-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Gray will be first choice RB this season. Has been carrying an injury for the past 8 months.

supermcginn
16-08-2017, 01:42 PM

You must have more than the 31 caps Whittaker got playing international football in defence then!

JimBHibees
16-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Good option to have and Whittaker was probably the shout especially when it went 10 v 11 in terms of keeping the ball however although winning on Saturday we gave away two criminal goals to crosses into the box which will be punished against other teams if we defend so poorly.

Since90+2
16-08-2017, 01:47 PM
He will still have an important role to play this year , both on and off the park , but I think he is likely to be on bench when there is a fully fit squad to choose from.

lucky
16-08-2017, 01:58 PM
This division is the highest level that Gray has played at. He is a club legend but like every player he will have to perform when he gets his chance or he won't be near the first team. Competition for places will make us a stronger side. Whittaker has played in the EPL and international football at full back so I believe that his career proves he's the better player but ultimately it's great to have both

MWHIBBIES
16-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Gray might be a better defender but it isn't as if he doesn't get ripped to bits as well. St Mirren fullback done him twice last season for goals at their place.

Honestly, I'm not totally surprised Whittaker is first choice, Gray has been pretty average bordering on poor for the last 6 months.

CRAZYHIBBY
16-08-2017, 02:53 PM
SDG should have a statue erected or a bronze bust at the very least

Firestarter
16-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Gray will be first choice RB this season. Has been carrying an injury for the past 8 months.

He should get it seen to now then.

Smartie
16-08-2017, 03:44 PM

I've heard this once or twice.

What is the injury and what is being done about it?

One of Gray's biggest attributes is his ability to get absolutely flattened then get up and carry on.

There's not much sign of injury any time I see him play.

He's had the odd below-par performance but putting aside "that goal" for a moment, David Gray has performed to a consistently very high standard since he joined the club.

Right back/ RWB had been a problem position for us for years, incredible that we now have 2 options as good as we do.

JimBHibees
16-08-2017, 04:16 PM
I've heard this once or twice.

What is the injury and what is being done about it?

One of Gray's biggest attributes is his ability to get absolutely flattened then get up and carry on.

There's not much sign of injury any time I see him play.

He's had the odd below-par performance but putting aside "that goal" for a moment, David Gray has performed to a consistently very high standard since he joined the club.

Right back/ RWB had been a problem position for us for years, incredible that we now have 2 options as good as we do.

Couldnt agree more his legendary goal apart he has been a very high level and consistent performer. Great signing.