PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Magpie 1892 Gone but not forgotten

hibbybrian
15-08-2017, 01:03 AM
I'm extremely sad to report that I only recently heard that my good friend, good Hibby and general good guy John Hunt, who posted on .net as Magpie 1892, tragically passed away on July 2nd.

From his username it's not difficult to conclude that John was a Newcastle supporter, however when he moved to Edinburgh many years ago he took on the Hibs as his local team and followed them with a passion. He would have loved the result at Ibrox and especially the irony of the red card going to the home team, as we had many long discussions about the shenanigans at Sevco and their closer to home cousins over the years, both in Qatar and Edinburgh.

John was a Journalist and often posted snippets or corrected groundless rumors on the site from his inside knowledge so he will be well missed on this board, as well as by those who had the pleasure of his company over the years.

I am back in Edinburgh later this week and was planning to meet up with John again for a pint, when I learned of his death from his Girlfriend Ellie, to whom my heartfelt condolences go.

I will now be having that pint with our mutual good friend Johnnyboy on Saturday and raise a toast to his memory.

greenlex
15-08-2017, 01:08 AM
Sad to hear this. His contribution to the boards will be a miss. Condolences to his family. RIP fella.

SRHibs
15-08-2017, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear. RIP.

Haymaker
15-08-2017, 01:26 AM
RIP he was a top poster.

cabbageandribs1875
15-08-2017, 01:52 AM
sad to hear, condolences to family and friends

Jack Hackett
15-08-2017, 05:18 AM
Gutted. Well respected and appreciated for his contributions here.

Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Magpie

BSEJVT
15-08-2017, 05:53 AM
RIP John,

I used to enjoy his insightful posts

Sir David Gray
15-08-2017, 06:06 AM
I didn't know him personally but fully aware of his online name. I enjoyed his posts.

Very sad news.

pacorosssco
15-08-2017, 06:08 AM
I'm extremely sad to report that I only recently heard that my good friend, good Hibby and general good guy John Hunt, who posted on .net as Magpie 1892, tragically passed away on July 2nd.

From his username it's not difficult to conclude that John was a Newcastle supporter, however when he moved to Edinburgh many years ago he took on the Hibs as his local team and followed them with a passion. He would have loved the result at Ibrox and especially the irony of the red card going to the home team, as we had many long discussions about the shenanigans at Sevco and their closer to home cousins over the years, both in Qatar and Edinburgh.

John was a Journalist and often posted snippets or corrected groundless rumors on the site from his inside knowledge so he will be well missed on this board, as well as by those who had the pleasure of his company over the years.

I am back in Edinburgh later this week and was planning to meet up with John again for a pint, when I learned of his death from his Girlfriend Ellie, to whom my heartfelt condolences go.

I will now be having that pint with our mutual good friend Johnnyboy on Saturday and raise a toast to his memory.

Terrible news.Far too young to pass.RIP John.

Pete
15-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Real shame as he was a good, knowledgeable poster. I mean it as a compliment when I say that I thought he as older than he actually was.

RIP

BT58
15-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Condolonces to family and friends.
R.I.P.

BroxburnHibee
15-08-2017, 06:27 AM
Thats awful news. He was a great contributor to this site and will be well missed.

R.I.P.

s.a.m
15-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Terribly sad to hear that. I appreciated his contribution.
Thought and condolences with his loved ones.

col02
15-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Sad news and like others I always enjoyed reading his posts. Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

LancsHibs
15-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Sad news, top poster.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Such sad news, a very good poster was Magpie, always enjoyed his contributions. Rest in peace, Sir.

Bishop Hibee
15-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Very sad news. An insightful and thoughtful poster on here. RIP.

Bostonhibby
15-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Was one whose posts I enjoyed reading A very sad loss of a good Hibby. Condolences to his friends and family.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

tamig
15-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Very sad to hear this. He was one of the top posters on the board and I loved reading his posts. You will be very sadly missed buddy. RIP.

jacomo
15-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Oh blimey. I only knew him from his contributions here and I am saddened to hear this.

For those who knew him as a person, the loss is real.

Very sorry to hear this and condolences to all his loved ones.

Mr White
15-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Very sad news RIP John.

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Very very sad news. RIP John/Magpie.

JimBHibees
15-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Sad news. Great poster. RIP.

ACLeith
15-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Sad news. Great poster. RIP.

When you saw a post from him you always read it as you knew he had something interesting and relevant to say.

Kato
15-08-2017, 07:42 AM
RIP, Magpie. As others are saying his posts on here were always informative and I enjoyed his dry wit - thoughts with his family.

Stevie Reid
15-08-2017, 07:43 AM
What horrible news, and my condolences to his loved ones for their tragic loss.

Contributed well to this site, always enjoyed reading his work.

Just Alf
15-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Really sad to read this, one of the posters whom I always liked their input, he'll be missed.

Condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Magpie

Pretty Boy
15-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Sad news. Always enjoyed his contributions, even when we didn't agree, as we both shared a passion for Hibs and Newcastle.

RIP.

James70
15-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Very sorry to hear that, RIP John.

Off the bar
15-08-2017, 08:25 AM
RIP Magpie will miss his contributions here, my condolences to his family and friends.

flash
15-08-2017, 08:28 AM
He will be missed both on this forum and, far more importantly, by those who loved and cared about him. RIP.

Oscar T Grouch
15-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Good poster, always informative. RIP Magpie.

Carheenlea
15-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Can only echo the sentiments of others in that Magpie's postings were always worthy of your attention.

Green Man
15-08-2017, 09:38 AM
That's awful news, Magpie was a very insightful poster, I always appreciated his input. RIP John.

lord bunberry
15-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I also enjoyed reading his posts RIP.

One Day Soon
15-08-2017, 09:53 AM
This is such sad news. He must have been relatively young.

I first crossed swords with John quite some time back on .net in the course of a discussion related - inevitably - to politics. Neither of us were retiring, delicate flowers and during the 'robust' exchange that followed he posted an over the line comment (actually I thought it was quite funny but other posters objected). He had the grace, dignity and class to apologise. Since then we exchanged comments and messages and I always thought he was an absolutely solid guy and had a great respect for him.

I'll be thinking of him at the game this weekend as I'm singing to the angels up above. See you behind the heavenly goals one day Magpie.

Tobias Funke
15-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Enjoyed Johns contributions, especially his insights into the world of journalism. Really sad to hear of his passing.

hibee_girl
15-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Such sad news, he was a valued poster on here.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2017, 10:01 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that, Brian.

Maggie 1892 had a great deal of credibility when posting on here.

You have my condolences. RIP John.

hfc rd
15-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Very sorry to hear this news. I enjoyed reading some of his posts. R.I.P

kaimendhibs
15-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Sad news. RIP

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
15-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Hibs.net has lost another fine poster. RIP John.

Thecat23
15-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Very sad to read about this, as others said he genuinely was a good poster. RIP

Smartie
15-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Really sad to hear this.

He always had a very interesting "angle" on things from his position within the media.

I'll miss his posts.

CropleyWasGod
15-08-2017, 10:41 AM
I don't normally post on this type of threads, but in this case I had some private conversations with John that were always interesting and enlightening.

I'm shocked and saddened at his passing. I'm guessing that he wasn't that old, which makes it even harder to process.

CyberSauzee
15-08-2017, 10:51 AM
That's a real shocker. Always made a point of reading what he wrote, was always worth it. He'll be sadly missed.

steakbake
15-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Sad to read of his passing for his family and friends. Agree with the earlier comment - he seemed older than he actually was just from the experiences he related in his various posts. Always looked out for his posts.

hibsdaft
15-08-2017, 11:03 AM
When you saw a post from him you always read it as you knew he had something interesting and relevant to say.

So true. RIP.

WeeRussell
15-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Always sad to hear of anyone passing on here, be it someone's old man who has always followed Hibs, or a younger Hibee in more upsetting circumstances.

But this is the first time I've read of a poster passing on here whose name I immediately recognised from reading his posts and following two of the same teams.

RIP pal, with the angels high above.

Beefster
15-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

fat freddy
15-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear this, a poster who carried weight and provided an insight that few could match due to the access he had to the inner sanctum of football clubs. With some posters, you just skim the content, with Magpie you knew you were getting a wee look behind the curtains. He'll be missed. RIP

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Sad news, condolences to his family and friends. Always enjoyed reading his posts. RIP fellow Hibee.

Crazyhorse
15-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Enjoyed Johns contributions, especially his insights into the world of journalism. Really sad to hear of his passing.

Me too. Always enjoyed his comments. RIP John

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Well this is a shock. What sad news; he was an excellent poster. I hope I'm not intruding if I ask what happened?

It's strange when you kind of get to know someone without really knowing them via things like forums. RIP Magpie and best wishes to his girlfriend and family. What a shame.

Aldo
15-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Sad News. RIP Magpie!

Iggy Pope
15-08-2017, 07:23 PM
I don't normally post on this type of threads, but in this case I had some private conversations with John that were always interesting and enlightening.

I'm shocked and saddened at his passing. I'm guessing that he wasn't that old, which makes it even harder to process.

Echo this sentiment entirely and couldn't have put it better.

Eyrie
15-08-2017, 07:25 PM
His posts were always worth reading and I remember reminiscing with him about a gig that it turned out we'd both been at following the 91 League Cup win.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

swindonhibs
15-08-2017, 07:37 PM
RIP Magpie. An insightful and informative poster whose posts I always enjoyed reading. Such sad news to hear and sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Nameless
15-08-2017, 08:27 PM
RIP Magpie. Enjoyed his contribution to this forum, he seemed a genuinely decent fella - condolences to his family.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Firestarter
15-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Is it distasteful to ask what happened? I know I'm a fairly new poster but I'm gutted at this news.

Sorry if this offends but it's like yesterday he was posting.

Broken Gnome
15-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Real shame. Was always a fan of his undercover postings from the Tynecastle press box.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Sad news ☹️ RIP

matty_f
15-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Sad to hear this, always looked out for his posts. RIP.

Kaiser1962
15-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Saddened to hear this news. My thoughts go out to his family.

Jonnyboy
15-08-2017, 10:06 PM
I first met John a number of years ago, when I was editing Mass Hibsteria. It was a case of a real journo meeting someone who was a complete amatuer but John always made me feel his equal. Never talked down to me (some other journo's I knew were terrible for that) and was always a really interesting bloke to listen too. Over the years our paths crossed on numerous occasions, usually at Hibs games and we struck up conversation like we'd seen each other the day before. He was natural, good hearted and a pleasure to share time with.

One wee story that sticks in my mind. While working for Hibs Interactive, the forerunner to Hibs TV, I was in the back row of the press area at ER when we played AEK at Easter Road. John was a couple of rows in front of me and could barely contain himself in supporting Hibs. When the second goal went in he jumped to his feet, turned to me and with a fist pump shouted "ya dancer." This caused the reporter (I use the term loosely) from the Daily Express to shout at John to go and sit with the fans. John's response was loud and clear "Unlike you, I'm not afraid to let everyone know which team I support"

A lovely guy, whom I will sadly miss. RIP fella

Sylar
15-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Wasn't always the most active of posters, so whenever you'd seen him respond to something, you'd know it would normally be worth reading.

It's a strange thing an online community of aliases. You'd walk past each other on the street a lot of the time and not know it, you'd speak to people without knowing their real names, but you develop close bonds with people you interact with and communicate with on places like forums.

And magpie was one of those posters who passionately dove into multiple areas of the forum, not just the football stuff. His postings were a genuinely positive addition to the forum and I'm very saddened to read this news indeed.

Thoughts very much go out to his close friends, family and loved ones.

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2017, 10:13 PM
I first met John a number of years ago, when I was editing Mass Hibsteria. It was a case of a real journo meeting someone who was a complete amatuer but John always made me feel his equal. Never talked down to me (some other journo's I knew were terrible for that) and was always a really interesting bloke to listen too. Over the years our paths crossed on numerous occasions, usually at Hibs games and we struck up conversation like we'd seen each other the day before. He was natural, good hearted and a pleasure to share time with.

One wee story that sticks in my mind. While working for Hibs Interactive, the forerunner to Hibs TV, I was in the back row of the press area at ER when we played AEK at Easter Road. John was a couple of rows in front of me and could barely contain himself in supporting Hibs. When the second goal went in he jumped to his feet, turned to me and with a fist pump shouted "ya dancer." This caused the reporter (I use the term loosely) from the Daily Express to shout at John to go and sit with the fans. John's response was loud and clear "Unlike you, I'm not afraid to let everyone know which team I support"

A nice tribute :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
15-08-2017, 10:19 PM
RIP Magpie ..... Its always sad when a fellow Hibby passes and the more poignant when they were a poster on here, condolences to his family and friends.

Cold comfort to them perhaps, but he was around to see Hibs finally win the cup and to see Newcastle and Hibs return to where they belong .... as a football fan I know that's how I would want my team to send me off .... I hope he felt the same.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear this. Came across as a good guy.

HH81
16-08-2017, 05:59 AM
Sad to hear. Remember his posts well.

ronaldo7
16-08-2017, 06:52 AM
John was a special poster, and I always looked forward to seeing what insider knowledge he had on the sports stories.

Sadly missed, condolences to his family and friends.

pacorosssco
16-08-2017, 08:02 AM
If stadium stones come available again we should get him one. Theres 70 posts here. Sure we could raise funds to arrange a Magpie1892 stone. If there is genuine interest Ill start the ball rolling with 20 quid.

Gorgie Green
16-08-2017, 12:57 PM
John was a good friend of mine from the first time I met him approx 25 years ago.
I had the pleasure of his company at many a match over the years, and knew him away from the football as well.
Never had to bother buying a programme at Hampden, as John always picked up one for me from the press room, with an added team sheet for good measure.

He was given a good send off, and will be sorely missed by all that knew him.
A stone would be a fitting tribute.
I would happily contribute as well if one becomes available.
RIP Magpie 1892, John, and how I always knew him Tin Tin GBNF
I would have posted sooner, but have had difficulty logging in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Firestarter
16-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I would also be happy to contribute to the stone. 100%

CyberSauzee
16-08-2017, 06:15 PM
If stadium stones come available again we should get him one. Theres 70 posts here. Sure we could raise funds to arrange a Magpie1892 stone. If there is genuine interest Ill start the ball rolling with 20 quid.

Great shout mate. Just came on this forum again because I can't believe he's gone.

He made more sense in 1 post than 100 of mine.

Put me in for a score as well.

JimBHibees
17-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks for sharing that. What a brilliant response that was. RIP

MrSmith
17-08-2017, 12:31 PM
RIP he was a top poster.

That he was and will be sadly missed :( Loved reading his insights and inside knowledge. Sleep Well John.

Will happily contribute towards anything set up to commemorate John.

bawheid
17-08-2017, 05:51 PM
This is very sad news. His insight into the ridiculous decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup was really interesting. It also amused me when he occasionally posted from the PBS press box during an invariably calamitous Hearts performance.

John will be sadly missed.

emerald green
17-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I didn't know the man, but from the tributes on here he sounded like a good one. RIP, and my condolences to family and friends.

TRC
17-08-2017, 06:33 PM
That's a real shame always enjoyed his posts

hibbybrian
19-08-2017, 06:36 AM
That he was and will be sadly missed :( Loved reading his insights and inside knowledge. Sleep Well John.

Will happily contribute towards anything set up to commemorate John.

A link has been sent to me by his Girlfriend Ellie
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hibs

MrSmith
19-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Done :) :flag:

CyberSauzee
19-08-2017, 12:07 PM

2/3 of the way there.

hibbybrian
22-08-2017, 07:26 AM
2/3 of the way there.

Not far to go

Keith_M
22-08-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm a bit late posting on this but, anyway.

Always sad to hear one of our more sensible posters is no more. He gave valuable insight on a number of topics and seemed a very balanced and level headed guy, with no cheap and nasty digs at others.

Condolences to his friends and family.

hibeg
22-08-2017, 04:35 PM
I didn't realise John was tintin on eBay. Went to his flat a couple of times. Really nice guy. RIP John

RIP
23-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Really heartbroken to hear of John's death last month. He was a temp while at Uni at my firm Scottish Provident and already had his hand in the world of journalism.

With his fetching blond quiff, energetic intelligence and cool style I'd taken to him immediately within a large pool of temporary colleagues. A smashing guy with whom I had many a blether even though we agreed to disagree on some things.

John. You were always a delight and were clearly so blessed with your beautiful Ellie.

Sweet dreams bonnie lad.

GreenLake
23-08-2017, 08:33 AM
His posts were always interesting to read. RIP

FranckSuzy
23-08-2017, 08:52 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of John's untimely passing. His posts, and the insights he provided into the game, were always interesting to read and he will be missed. RIP John