PDA

View Full Version : The most one sided ....

dcm89
14-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Pile of p*sh I have ever read

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40929275

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lapsedhibee
14-08-2017, 10:42 PM

:agree: BBC Scotland's inadequacy is embarrassing. Scottish Govt should be having a look.

High-On-Hibs
14-08-2017, 10:47 PM
I've read far worse in all honesty.

HappyAsHellas
14-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Didn't think it was too bad at all.

SonOfDavidFrancey
14-08-2017, 10:52 PM
I don't think there's much wrong in that.

poolman
14-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Nah, don't see anything much wrong with that

heretoday
14-08-2017, 11:02 PM
What's wrong with the article?

jacomo
14-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Fairly balanced if boring piece.

But why does this reporter want to be balanced? He's banned from Ibrox!

He should call the Huns out for their pathetic victim mentality and refusal to deal with sectarian abuse.

lapsedhibee
14-08-2017, 11:15 PM
What's wrong with the article?

There were two obvious lines of questioning for the man from Northern Ireland after his side's 3-2 win. The victory itself - a huge statement of intent for a side newly promoted against a side assembled with the help of a pretty sizeable war chest.

Then there was Lennon's reaction to his side scoring the equalising goal. The cupping of both ears while looking towards fans is almost as old as the game itself, but it never fails to get a reaction.

CM himself says there were two possible things to focus on: the 90 minutes of football or the few seconds of Lennon's reaction to our 'pulling one back'. And he bases the whole article on the few trivial seconds.

As ridiculous as the 1872 pish.

Sir David Gray
14-08-2017, 11:19 PM
There were two obvious lines of questioning for the man from Northern Ireland after his side's 3-2 win. The victory itself - a huge statement of intent for a side newly promoted against a side assembled with the help of a pretty sizeable war chest.

Then there was Lennon's reaction to his side scoring the equalising goal. The cupping of both ears while looking towards fans is almost as old as the game itself, but it never fails to get a reaction.

CM himself says there were two possible things to focus on: the 90 minutes of football or the few seconds of Lennon's reaction to our 'pulling one back'. And he bases the whole article on the few trivial seconds.

Let's ignore the fact that we've gone up against one of the best sides in the country away from home and won and focus on an incident which lasted a few seconds where Lennon made a hand gesture to the supporters.

Aye ok. :aok:

hibsbollah
14-08-2017, 11:21 PM

As usual, the elephant in the room (anti Catholic sectarian abuse spewed out by the rangers fans week in week out, especially in away games, ) is kept undiscussed. Until it's allowed to be talked about, they may as well not even bother running these stories.

monktonharp
14-08-2017, 11:27 PM
thought it was not as bad as I expected, but he does not mention the barrage of abuse given to Lenny throughout the game, nor the bigoted bile that goes with it always. he prefers to link everything to the one or 2 winning gestures made by our manager, who will do that as he is a born winner.

jgl07
14-08-2017, 11:40 PM

If you work yourself into a frazzle over that article, you need serious help.

snooky
15-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Was Chris McLaughlin not the journalist who was banned from Ibrox?
If so, he's obviously not wanting to upset the bannermen.
TBH, I didn't think the article was too bad however, as a poster said earlier, there's a herd of elephants in the same room that get ignored on a regular basis.

Deansy
15-08-2017, 01:20 AM
'Journalists get exactly the same buzz - but for different reasons. We know our words, questions or tweets will help set the narrative for the coming days' coverage'

Get a grip, McGlaughlin - today's Scottish MSM maybe 'sets the narrative' in the BBC-canteen/Daily Rectum staff-rooms etc, etc but NOT out in the real world !!. Today's Scottish MSM is looked upon with scorn, ridicule, disbelief and a huge amount of DIS-TRUST ! !!. Most people nowadays go to the many various blogs/sites that exist on the Internet and use the various areas of information from them to form their own conclusions and a 'narrative' which the Scottish MSM have either ignored, over-looked or are just too scared/biased to mention-in case of upsetting supporters of one of the 2 clubs with the biggest support !. The various blogs/sites people go to AREN'T desparate/dependent on or for 'SALES' , a situation which forces the Scottish MSM to ignore the facts/truth and present a very much one-sided picture in favour of the 2 clubs with the biggest support !

NZ Green
15-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Seems a fairly balanced article to me. Long winded for a non story, but he hasn't taken any sides.

Kato
15-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Seems a fairly balanced article to me. Long winded for a non story, but he hasn't taken any sides.

But the narrative being created and the one he is going along with is that this is all to do with the refs shortcomings and NL's behaviour. That isn't the real story here.

Onion
15-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Little wrong with that article.

Thing I've issue with is..the media are totally obsessed with NL to the point they have cameras on him for 90 mins during the match. These photographers and paps are not interested in the match as they can get more money/headlines from a snap of NL than any incident on the pitch. That level of scrutiny does not exist for other managers or opposing benches.

Just seen the video of NL after Hibs first goal and he definitely gives a GIUY gesture to the crowd, but his celebration was much more muted and restrained that it could have been. He shouldn't have done it, but I was expecting a full blown Get It Right Up You inflammatory gesture designed to rile the Orcs and it was nothing like that.

So, I've no issue with the SFA bringing managers to book when they step out of line BUT these rules MUST be applied fairly and equitably across the board. If they are constantly citing NL based on selective video and complaints, then the SFA are no better than the snowflake Orcs who had their feelings hurt when Hibs scored.

Onion
15-08-2017, 07:05 AM
But the narrative being created and the one he is going along with is that this is all to do with the refs shortcomings and NL's behaviour. That isn't the real story here.

Agree, but that won't sell papers and would likely see him fired.

Just as there are no Republicans with balls in the USA, there are no journalists with balls in Scotland.

JimBHibees
15-08-2017, 07:13 AM

Agree the proper context isn't expressed in regard to what Lennon has had to put up with in a sectarian context.

McSwanky
15-08-2017, 08:17 AM
As usual, the elephant in the room (anti Catholic sectarian abuse spewed out by the rangers fans week in week out, especially in away games, ) is kept undiscussed. Until it's allowed to be talked about, they may as well not even bother running these stories.

Agree with that. I've always said that Lennon doesn't help himself with his 'combative' nature, and that's part of the reason he's singled out by opposition fans, but the treatment reserved for him by the blue half of Glasgow (and to a lesser extent the maroon half of Edinburgh) is nothing short of shocking. The silence from the media is deafening on that front too.

I have no problem with other fans hating him for being a ******** (and when he played for Celtic, I would count myself amongst that number), it's the sectarian element which brings the abuse level up to an unacceptable level.

SeanWilson
15-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Some folk need protective clothing for nipping down to Tesco.....

lapsedhibee
15-08-2017, 09:22 AM

BBC doesn't sell papers. It's supposed to be a national broadcaster, not a ****ing Huns fanzine.

emerald green
15-08-2017, 09:26 AM
If you work yourself into a frazzle over that article, you need serious help.

:agree: It makes one seem and look as bad as those that want Lennon jailed ffs. Total over reaction. The usual faux outrage all too common these days everywhere you look.

Kato
15-08-2017, 09:44 AM
:agree: It makes one seem and look as bad as those that want Lennon jailed ffs. Total over reaction. The usual faux outrage all too common these days everywhere you look.

There's a difference between faux outrage and an analytical look at what is being said. I'm not outraged by the article at all but am able to read it and see by what is being omitted and what is being included that the guy is following in line with Club 1872 and the narrative they want to pursue.

erin go bragh
15-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Thought this was about the 89% cup game v them on our way to winning the cup in 07. 😂

Scott Allan Key
15-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Journalistic naivety, playing to the gallery, knowing that the piper calls the tune; call it what you will but as One Day Soon correctly surmised, Rangers are trying to derail the Hibs through non-football means- trap us in legalese and off the field controversy, as on a level playing field, cheats cannot win fair and square. We're winning on the football side, they cannot catch Celtic or challenge them. We are 'green' enough to be the scapegoat for their own failure and they would happily substitute Celtic for Hibs for the time being as long as we are showing our potential as realistic challengers at the top end of the league.

lapsedhibee
15-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Journalistic naivety, playing to the gallery, knowing that the piper calls the tune; call it what you will but as One Day Soon correctly surmised, Rangers are trying to derail the Hibs through non-football means- trap us in legalese and off the field controversy, as on a level playing field, cheats cannot win fair and square. We're winning on the football side, they cannot catch Celtic or challenge them. We are 'green' enough to be the scapegoat for their own failure and they would happily substitute Celtic for Hibs for the time being as long as we are showing our potential as realistic challengers at the top end of the league.

I'll call it pandering to the hun, and it's now gone on far too seriously long enough by half. The BBC should play no role whatsoever in helping the thes derail us or anyone else. Coverage of the terrible crimes we committed last May has been ridiculous, and giving airtime and credence to that club1690 pish is, if anything, even worse.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2017, 10:35 AM

Just as there are no Republicans with balls in the USA, there are no journalists with balls in Scotland.

The Herald sells newspapers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15473292.Why_is_it_okay_to_abuse_Neil_Lennon_but_h e__39_s_not_allowed_to_react_/

Scott Allan Key
15-08-2017, 10:51 AM
I'll call it pandering to the hun, and it's now gone on far too seriously long enough by half. The BBC should play no role whatsoever in helping the thes derail us or anyone else. Coverage of the terrible crimes we committed last May has been ridiculous, and giving airtime and credence to that club1690 pish is, if anything, even worse.

I'd agree on that precise phrasing, McLaughlin is trying to appease the bully, by focusing on lowest common denominator journalists fulfills their contractual obligations and editorial policy of their employers whereas those with integrity now find it easier and possible to convey their message outside mainstream. It's a cop out when idealism becomes cynicism.

Don't get me wrong, Lennon will not like the genuine threats but he can turn the other animosity to our favour and this is a key to his personal success. Lennon is manipulating events too through his character, in Hibs favour, I believe. He is how good at understanding and succeeding within a combative environment and getting in peoples' heads, one way or the other. He's lived it all his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he appears in referees' dreams before games telling them 'this is how it will play out'.

WhileTheChief..
15-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Nothing really wrong with the article. Guess the OP has just learnt to read or only just discovered the BBC :wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
15-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Would it have been too much for the journalist to indicate why Lennon did that celebration?

40k odd bigoted fans screaming at him, threatening him etc

But no, let's focus on the solo villain of the piece - Lennon

All journalists are dancing around the fact of the disgusting abuse he received from the moment he stepped off the team bus

therealgavmac
15-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Thought the link to this within the article was better....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40926767

Onion
15-08-2017, 11:20 AM
As usual, some of the more balanced and objective editorial pieces are staring to emerge. John Grecian's article in the Mail picks apart the over-reaction to NLs geature supported with more balance comments from others in the game.

This is the standard pattern for anything that upsets the Huns or Celtic. Reflect and stoke the outrage to engratiate themselves to their paying customer group, then try act like serious journalists. Truly pathetic and predictable. What we need from our media is some common sense and perspective in their INITIAL reporting. Instead they act as loutish mouth-pieces for the extreme, demented elements of the OF support and their Boards. When are they going to seriously take on the real issue behind Sat ? You

GreenLake
15-08-2017, 11:34 AM
He tries to give the appearance of objectivity but manages to avoid mentioning the vile sectarian abuse directed at Lennon. He is probably just following guidelines which his editors believe to be politically correct, but the message to the bigots is that they can 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.

emerald green
15-08-2017, 06:19 PM
There's a difference between faux outrage and an analytical look at what is being said. I'm not outraged by the article at all but am able to read it and see by what is being omitted and what is being included that the guy is following in line with Club 1872 and the narrative they want to pursue.

The bit in bold - quite correct Kato. I agree. I am glad you're not outraged by the article. Neither am I. There's far more serious matters to be getting outraged about.

However, for the OP to describe it as "the most one sided pile of pish I have ever read" then I can only assume he/she hasn't read very much, and/or hasn't been around very long.

It has to be remembered this article was written by Chris McLaughlin who was banned from Ibrox after being accused of filing misleading and unbalanced reports by the Ibrox club over fans' arrests following a match with Hibs. The BBC subsequently refused to send other staff to Ibrox following that ban. Now he's getting accused of the same thing on here!

OK he never specifically mentioned in the article the sectarian chanting and abuse dished out at Ibrox to Neil Lennon (and anyone else supporting Hibs). But seriously, is there a single soul who hasn't been living on planet Neptune, somewhere like that, for 50 years or so who isn't already fully aware that stuff goes on at Ibrox? Does he have to spell it out yet again. We all know.

I note there is another article, also on the BBC website, about the Scottish Managers union chief Alex Smith having sympathy for Hibs boss Neil Lennon. Nobody seems to be slagging the BBC for that item.