PDA

View Full Version : Fringe Show 1902

mutley
13-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Anyone seen it yet?

Dunno what it's like yet, starts in 10 mins, so I'll report back afterwards, but so far the venue has some nice old Hibs strips dotted about (le coq sportif ones)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ronniekirk
13-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Anyone seen it yet?

Dunno what it's like yet, starts in 10 mins, so I'll report back afterwards, but so far the venue has some nice old Hibs strips dotted about (le coq sportif ones)

Was going to go on Saturday but didn't manage to fit it in If you post your thoughts on the performance i may go next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
13-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Intending to go this week - would appreciate a review.

mutley
13-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Just back from the show, I wasn't sure what to expect but here goes. It's in an intimate wee venue, with seating all around, not your usual everyone facing the stage thing. It was a nice wee story about 4 boys getting tickets for the cup final, and as you can imagine, doesn't quite go to plan.
Nice bit of am-dram, nice wee bits of humour and a few of our favourite songs get a little airing (yes even SOL at the end).

It's even possible that it actually happened (well maybe not but I could see it actually happening).

It lasts about 1 1/2 hours so a wee bit longer than the average fringe show.
Overall I really enjoyed it, and if you like going to fringe shows, and like hearing about Hibs winning the cup against The Rangers (and let's face it, who doesn't) then go see it.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Just back from the show, I wasn't sure what to expect but here goes. It's in an intimate wee venue, with seating all around, not your usual everyone facing the stage thing. It was a nice wee story about 4 boys getting tickets for the cup final, and as you can imagine, doesn't quite go to plan.
Nice bit of am-dram, nice wee bits of humour and a few of our favourite songs get a little airing (yes even SOL at the end).

It's even possible that it actually happened (well maybe not but I could see it actually happening).

It lasts about 1 1/2 hours so a wee bit longer than the average fringe show.
Overall I really enjoyed it, and if you like going to fringe shows, and like hearing about Hibs winning the cup against The Rangers (and let's face it, who doesn't) then go see it.

:thumbsup:

Sounds good.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Went tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Souter96Mac
14-08-2017, 07:25 PM
I saw it last Friday and it was great! Was surprised with the amount of non Scots in the audience as well, as we got chatting to a few after the show. A lot of Americans, and one woman who said that it was the 2nd time she'd seen the show!

Nakedmanoncrack
14-08-2017, 08:07 PM
I saw it last Friday and it was great! Was surprised with the amount of non Scots in the audience as well, as we got chatting to a few after the show. A lot of Americans, and one woman who said that it was the 2nd time she'd seen the show!

To be honest felt a bit like walking into the Hibs Club tonight, must have recognised half the audience, a lot of faces familiar from Easter Rd!

fife hfc
14-08-2017, 08:07 PM
I saw on Friday and would recommend it. Decent wee show.

Penicuik Hibee
14-08-2017, 11:02 PM
It's excellent. Very intimate. Different. But good

heretoday
15-08-2017, 06:43 AM
But is it Art?

mutley
15-08-2017, 09:54 AM
But is it Art?

It's a lot better than some stuff I have seen at the Fringe over the years. As for art, I'd say so in a theatrical sense

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-08-2017, 10:02 AM
What venue?

mutley
15-08-2017, 10:23 AM
What venue?

Venue No 506, in The Wee Red Bar. From Bristol Sq/Teviot/Guilded balloon, walk along Lauritston place past George Herriots and old infirmary, keep going until you get to the colledge of art on the right hand side. At the far end you'll see an opening big enough for vehicles and a sign pointing to "Wee Red". Follow the signs and your there.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/69951dcbdc1532d4b04d96581e04f443.jpg

Hope that helps

Nakedmanoncrack
15-08-2017, 09:07 PM
I see David Gray in the audience at the show tonight, photo on Facebook.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Saw it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not quite what I expected based on the description but entertaining, funny and heartwarming in parts. Decent audience participation and it had the emotion of the day flooding back as well.

mutley
15-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Saw it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not quite what I expected based on the description but entertaining, funny and heartwarming in parts. Decent audience participation and it had the emotion of the day flooding back as well.

That's what caught me out, the description doesn't really do the show much justice, oh and without spoiling the story line, ( mini spoiler alert) I really liked the fact that the "jambo" character was a fat idiot

Eireann
16-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I adored every minute of this show. A strong cast and great writing. This is a must see - I laughed and cried. There is a lot of swearing so don't go if you are easily offended haha!

My only criticism is that perhaps the significance of the phrase '1902' was not fully met. The idea that you will never see or experience the thing you dream of because there is a hoodoo against you. That mindset goes beyond football - it's a mentality. That's why the 21st of May is so important. I understand the writer (also the main character) is a Hearts supporter so this is maybe why it didn't go deep enough for me.

My my point is, 90+2 was not just an incredible footballing moment: it is so much more than that. Maybe the show doesn't quite encapsulate that?

If you see one fringe show this year - make it 1902.

HibbyDave
16-08-2017, 09:01 PM
four of us going on Friday 25th lets fill it wi hibbies!!
Book online at ed fringe.

hfc rd
16-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Booked tickets for Monday 28th for this show.

mutley
17-08-2017, 08:22 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/e9ed7c4d2db103ab948581f907949905.png

Even Sir David Gray has been to see the show

NthCarolinaHibs
17-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Anyone notice the training jacket the boy had on was marked ' BW'..Bobby Williamson's ?

nomad
17-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Saw it last Friday as well thought it was very good. Was not sure what to expect reminded me of Trainspotting one of the character's a wee bit "Begbie" " ish" . Well worth seeing

Phil MaGlass
17-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Mibbe the club is missing a we trick here, gie the folks attending 10% off a stadium tour/club merchandise/match ticket?

mutley
17-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Anyone notice the training jacket the boy had on was marked ' BW'..Bobby Williamson's ?

I did notice that, wasn't sure if it was made for a prop or original

mutley
17-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Mibbe the club is missing a we trick here, gie the folks attending 10% off a stadium tour/club merchandise/match ticket?

Or even used ER as the venue for the show and a tour before/ after it? Even open one of the bars and bring in some cash. Most people get to a venue earl for a few drinks and some stay afterwards )well, I do anyway)

NthCarolinaHibs
17-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Definitely original...you could still see the marks where his half time pies spilled out 🍮...

CropleyWasGod
17-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Or even used ER as the venue for the show and a tour before/ after it? Even open one of the bars and bring in some cash. Most people get to a venue earl for a few drinks and some stay afterwards )well, I do anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProER is already being used as a Fringe venue. IMO, not a very good one as the acoustics are pretty poor.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Silver Fox
17-08-2017, 08:16 PM
where is the venue?

Billy Whizz
17-08-2017, 08:29 PM
ER is already being used as a Fringe venue. IMO, not a very good one as the acoustics are pretty poor.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Is that why they moved the singing section from the East to the North Upper😄

19-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Was there last night and well worth a visit. Many laughs with a good storyline.

Silver Fox
20-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Just back from it, highly recommend all Hibees should attend whilst it's on, thoroughly enjoyed it. :flag:

bigwheel
20-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Just back from it, highly recommend all Hibees should attend whilst it's on, thoroughly enjoyed it. :flag:

Going to check it out this week.....I had the absolute pleasure of seeing "a field of our own" today....it took me a bit by surprise, got me quite emotional - didn't expect that... Made me so proud to be part of the Hibernian family, thankful of those who fought prejudice to create our great club, and also were forward thinking enough to open it up to people from all backgrounds....also made me delighted that we carry on the charitable traditions of the founders through kick for kids and the numerous other activities.the other benefit was being reminded of the history and traditions of our club also made me shake off that thumping we got yesterday ! Would encourage everyone to see it if you get a chance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feed McGraw
20-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Going to check it out this week.....I had the absolute pleasure of seeing "a field of our own" today....it took me a bit by surprise, got me quite emotional - didn't expect that... Made me so proud to be part of the Hibernian family, thankful of those who fought prejudice to create our great club, and also were forward thinking enough to open it up to people from all backgrounds....also made me delighted that we carry on the charitable traditions of the founders through kick for kids and the numerous other activities.the other benefit was being reminded of the history and traditions of our club also made me shake off that thumping we got yesterday ! Would encourage everyone to see it if you get a chance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk I was there too today (field of our own) and like you got a bit emotional as well, it was very well done - the music was brilliant and the actors were excellent.

Peanut Shaz
20-08-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm just back from tonight's performance of A Field of Our Own. Thought it was excellent. Everything from staging,costumes,music and acting were very good. Really enjoyed seeing our history brought to life.

ColinNish
20-08-2017, 08:53 PM
I heard there was a fair few inaccuracies with 1902 regarding the actual cup final game. This was from guys that went to see one of the first performances so may have been ironed out now.

mutley
20-08-2017, 09:14 PM
I heard there was a fair few inaccuracies with 1902 regarding the actual cup final game. This was from guys that went to see one of the first performances so may have been ironed out now.

It's not really about the game as such, but it seemed ok when I saw it

ColinNish
21-08-2017, 05:25 AM
It's not really about the game as such, but it seemed ok when I saw it

Yeah, i know its not all about the game but it irked these folk enough to comment on it. One that i remember them talking about was David gray scoring in 93 minutes.

Monktonhall 7
21-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did Field of our own on Friday and 1902 yesterday. Both very good and I'd recommend them both. Very different though and the fact that the Wee Red Bar had a bar, and the play was a bit Tainspottingesque with some Proclaimers music threaded through it meant that just shaded it for me. Can't believe there was no bar facilities at ER. I was told they weren't licenced!

Moulin Yarns
22-08-2017, 08:30 AM

I was there on the Sunday as well. You would be one of the gentlemen in the front row? (guessing by your user name :wink: )

I was next to the door.

Carheenlea
22-08-2017, 08:52 AM
I've bought a ticket for the 5pm performance this Saturday evening - looking forward to it after all the positive reviews.

BullsCloseHibs
22-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Saw this last week and was very good.

C Hannan looked like Grant Brebner though (with big beard).

Well done Strange Town productions though. Very very good performances all round. :top marks

Hulk1875
22-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Going to late showing on Friday night not done anything for festival this year, in fact never really went to anything at the festival

7heaven
22-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Just back from seeing 1902.
Absolutely brilliant.

Silver Fox
22-08-2017, 07:00 PM
I was there on the Sunday as well. You would be one of the gentlemen in the front row? (guessing by your user name :wink: )

I was next to the door.

Good spot, I was indeed! :agree:

Going back on Sunday again, taking the laddie

brog
22-08-2017, 08:08 PM
I got off train from London at 4 yesterday & was in audience for 1902 at 5. Really enjoyed it, quite emotional at the end & my beer bottle played a part in the production! Congrats all round, & perfectly factual!!

tanfield
23-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Went to see it tonight. Thought it was really well done!

southsider
24-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Going on Sat. evening. Should be good.

HibbyDave
25-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Going tonight.

Carheenlea
25-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Can the tickets be collected at the venue? If not I'll need to swing by the Fringe Office on High St. Not sure where the nearest collection point will be for Wee Red Bar.

Monktonhall 7
25-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Can the tickets be collected at the venue? If not I'll need to swing by the Fringe Office on High St. Not sure where the nearest collection point will be for Wee Red Bar.

Depends where you are travelling from. I picked mine up at the ticket machine in Waverley Station.

tetley
25-08-2017, 08:23 AM

We picked up tickets from the collection point at the university at Potterow saved trying to get near the high st and just along from the venue

NthCarolinaHibs
25-08-2017, 08:31 AM

We got ours at the venue door...bar opens at 4.30 😉.. enjoy 🍷

Carheenlea
25-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Depends where you are travelling from. I picked mine up at the ticket machine in Waverley Station.

We picked up tickets from the collection point at the university at Potterow saved trying to get near the high st and just along from the venue

We got ours at the venue door...bar opens at 4.30 😉.. enjoy 🍷

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

offshorehibby
25-08-2017, 09:55 AM

There's also the booth at the Mound. See below for ticket collection points. I'm going to the 5PM show tonight

https://tickets.edfringe.com/box-office/ticket-collection-points

HibbyDave
26-08-2017, 06:16 AM
Great show! Bar is bit steep at £4.90 for a can of beer. Too much use of the "C" word in the show which some people in the audience disliked judging from their reaction.

Hulk1875
26-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Yeah pretty expensive for drinks, but as for the show I really enjoyed it, It was better than what I expected had me laughing most of the night, hairs standing up on my arms and even had tears in my eyes. I could relate to show reminding me of growing up going to football, trying to find your way in life.

brog
26-08-2017, 07:47 AM
I got off a train from London at 4 & was in audience by 5 with my beer! Thought it was really excellent, very well done. I was surprised that at least 50% of the audience were young women, hopefully help in expsnding our fan base.

thebakerboy
26-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Went to see this today and it was absolutely superb , story is about some guys trying to get tickets for the cup final last year , the ending is fabulous any any Hibee with a dry eye at the end has a heart of stone. Highly recommended 8 very talented young actors in a local story , on till Monday night at the Wee Red Bar at the Art College.