PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 12th August)

Jonnyboy
12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
I’ve never really enjoyed going to Ibrox, even back in the 70’s when Turnbull’s Tornadoes were in their pomp. Back then all we had to look forward too, even after a win was travelling home in a bus that had no window’s left intact. Today witnessed a variation on that with some neds hurling bottles over a wall and fence onto the Hibs fans waiting in the car park after the game. The place is vile, their fans are vile and yet they still try and convince everyone that it’s only a minority that misbehave. Aye right. After their opening goal and again after their late second, the vast majority in the home stands belted out that well known Rangers football song “The Cry was No Surrender.”

The only way to shut them up was by beating them and beat them we did by that all too common scoreline of 3-2. After starting very nervously and gifting them an early goal, I confess I was worried about how the game might pan out but slowly we began to get a grip in midfield and once we did that we were well in the hunt. A fantastic through ball from John McGinn found Simon Murray wide on the left. The Duracell man still had a bit to do but he brilliantly worked a space for himself on the edge of the box and fired past Foderingham. I thought Hibs were now in the ascendency with Dylan McGeouch running the show in midfield while the Rangers players resorted to strong arm tactics in front of a referee who decided to let things go. What he couldn’t ignore was the scrum that followed on from Dorrans grabbing McGeouch by the throat. As players piled in, referee John Beaton booked Dorrans and McGeouch and then sent Ryan Jack off for his reaction towards both Dylan and Stokesy. Brave man sending off a Rangers player at Ibrox!

With a man advantage, Hibs soon took the lead when an effort from Slivka was deflected into the net by Tavernier – just reward for a player still smarting after his SCF humiliation and who looked intent on ‘doing’ Stokesy every chance he got.

For years I’ve moaned about throw in’s and Hibs. We never seem to get them right, but wait, a throw from Lewis sees Slivka take a touch before hammering a shot past Foderingham. For long spells after that we just kept the ball and when The Rangers did get it back our defence repelled everything thrown at them. For a similar number of years as my throw in’s gripe I’ve moaned about how we always seem to make life difficult for ourselves. Nine minutes left and a nothing cross into the box is headed home by Tavernier and my pulse rate went through the roof. Surely we couldn’t muck this up? I need to be more trusting of this Hibernian team. Neil Lennon has clearly drummed into them that we don’t let anyone bully us. We were strong and determined in seeing the game out and now we’re joint top of the league! That’s two league games in a row we’ve started poorly and had to come from behind to win. Many folk will say the win at Ibrox was the better of the two but don’t forget, we beat Partick Thistle 3-1, a team long established in the top division and a team with a far longer history than The Rangers.

Rocky – to be honest he didn’t have a lot to do and had no chance with either goal.

Efe – once again a couple of heart-stopping moments but otherwise I thought he was great.

Daz – oh how the home fans must have hated Darren’s performance. His replacement, although not directly I accept, is woeful. For a while I wondered if Alves was the Portuguese word for ‘hoof’

Paul – solid enough and getting back to his very best. It’s time we had a song for him!

Whitty – had a job on his hands marking Windass, who I thought was their best player, but stuck manfully to his task and was able to venture forward a bit more after the red card.

Lewis - the weeman was solid as ever, though he lost his man for the second goal. I'll forgive him as his throw in to Slivka for the third goal was a great assist!

Slivka – wonderful goal and on the scene for the second. The lad probably hasn’t ever played in a stadium with that kind of atmosphere but after a quiet start he played very well

SJM – the boy is now a man. Last season he bewildered us at times but often lost out in the physical battles. Not any more as he’s ‘beefed up’ and handled the very aggressive Rangers midfield admirably

Dylan – we need to stop fretting about his fitness. Whatever his new training regime is, it’s working fine. Non-stop from start to finish, he was by far my man of the match

Simon Murray – Duracell batteries still fully charged. His movement off the ball is a joy to behold and he made and scored the opening goal very well. That’s ten for the season so far

Stokesy – he makes me smile. After his early altercation with Tavernier, which earned him a yellow card he continued to noise up their players, moan at the ref and generally bust a gut trying to score a goal. He’s only going to get better …. and better …. and better

Danny – came on with eight minutes left, buzzed about, passed and moved and took a little too long when he had a chance to get a shot away inside the 18 yard box

SDG – came on and played in front of Whittaker. I thought it was a clever move by Lennon as The Rangers seemed to favour trying to build down that side. I might be getting on in years but I still have the capacity to imagine things happening in a game. Bearing in mind the venue it would have been great to see a goal in 90+2 from David Gray’s skull.

The fans – were brilliant to a man, woman and child. Never stopped singing from the first man to the last and never let the intimidating atmosphere spoil their day out

greenlex
12-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Raw read.:thumbsup: David Grays skull.:greengrin I see what you did there.:top marks

Www1875hfc
12-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Enjoyed that review. [emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
12-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Excellent read :top marks

whiskyhibby
12-08-2017, 08:39 PM
I’ve never really enjoyed going to Ibrox, even back in the 70’s when Turnbull’s Tornadoes were in their pomp. Back then all we had to look forward too, even after a win was travelling home in a bus that had no window’s left intact. Today witnessed a variation on that with some neds hurling bottles over a wall and fence onto the Hibs fans waiting in the car park after the game. The place is vile, their fans are vile and yet they still try and convince everyone that it’s only a minority that misbehave. Aye right. After their opening goal and again after their late second, the vast majority in the home stands belted out that well known Rangers football song “The Cry was No Surrender.”
The only way to shut them up was by beating them and beat them we did by that all too common scoreline of 3-2. After starting very nervously and gifting them an early goal, I confess I was worried about how the game might pan out but slowly we began to get a grip in midfield and once we did that we were well in the hunt. A fantastic through ball from John McGinn found Simon Murray wide on the left. The Duracell man still had a bit to do but he brilliantly worked a space for himself on the edge of the box and fired past Foderingham. I thought Hibs were now in the ascendency with Dylan McGeouch running the show in midfield while the Rangers players resorted to strong arm tactics in front of a referee who decided to let things go. What he couldn’t ignore was the scrum that followed on from Dorrans grabbing McGeouch by the throat. As players piled in, referee John Beaton booked Dorrans and McGeouch and then sent Ryan Jack off for his reaction towards both Dylan and Stokesy. Brave man sending off a Rangers player at Ibrox!

With a man advantage, Hibs soon took the lead when an effort from Slivka was deflected into the net by Tavernier – just reward for a player still smarting after his SCF humiliation and who looked intent on ‘doing’ Stokesy every chance he got.

For years I’ve moaned about throw in’s and Hibs. We never seem to get them right, but wait, a throw from Lewis sees Slivka take a touch before hammering a shot past Foderingham. For long spells after that we just kept the ball and when The Rangers did get it back our defence repelled everything thrown at them. For a similar number of years as my throw in’s gripe I’ve moaned about how we always seem to make life difficult for ourselves. Nine minutes left and a nothing cross into the box is headed home by Tavernier and my pulse rate went through the roof. Surely we couldn’t muck this up? I need to be more trusting of this Hibernian team. Neil Lennon has clearly drummed into them that we don’t let anyone bully us. We were strong and determined in seeing the game out and now we’re joint top of the league! That’s two league games in a row we’ve started poorly and had to come from behind to win. Many folk will say the win at Ibrox was the better of the two but don’t forget, we beat Partick Thistle 3-1, a team long established in the top division and a team with a far longer history than The Rangers.

Rocky – to be honest he didn’t have a lot to do and had no chance with either goal.

Efe – once again a couple of heart-stopping moments but otherwise I thought he was great.

Daz – oh how the home fans must have hated Darren’s performance. His replacement, although not directly I accept, is woeful. For a while I wondered if Alves was the Portuguese word for ‘hoof’

Paul – solid enough and getting back to his very best. It’s time we had a song for him!

Whitty – had a job on his hands marking Windass, who I thought was their best player, but stuck manfully to his task and was able to venture forward a bit more after the red card.

Slivka – wonderful goal and on the scene for the second. The lad probably hasn’t ever played in a stadium with that kind of atmosphere but after a quiet start he played very well

SJM – the boy is now a man. Last season he bewildered us at times but often lost out in the physical battles. Not any more as he’s ‘beefed up’ and handled the very aggressive Rangers midfield admirably

Dylan – we need to stop fretting about his fitness. Whatever his new training regime is, it’s working fine. Non-stop from start to finish, he was by far my man of the match

Simon Murray – Duracell batteries still fully charged. His movement off the ball is a joy to behold and he made and scored the opening goal very well. That’s ten for the season so far

Stokesy – he makes me smile. After his early altercation with Tavernier, which earned him a yellow card he continued to noise up their players, moan at the ref and generally bust a gut trying to score a goal. He’s only going to get better …. and better …. and better

Danny – came on with eight minutes left, buzzed about, passed and moved and took a little too long when he had a chance to get a shot away inside the 18 yard box

SDG – came on and played in front of Whittaker. I thought it was a clever move by Lennon as The Rangers seemed to favour trying to build down that side. I might be getting on in years but I still have the capacity to imagine things happening in a game. Bearing in mind the venue it would have been great to see a goal in 90+2 from David Gray’s skull.

The fans – were brilliant to a man, woman and child. Never stopped singing from the first man to the last and never let the intimidating atmosphere spoil their day out

Thanks for a great summary ��GGTTH

Just Alf
12-08-2017, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;5140650]/QUOTE]

Great stuff once more, really enjoy yer musings..... I'm now specifically looking out for this after each game!

:flag:

heidtheba
Great read - thanks for this.

Bostonhibby
Cheers John. Great read filled the gaps between the brilliant Hibs radio coverage, a hugely frustrating streamed effort and actually being there. I'm hooked.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibeeron
12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Wasn't there and rely on reports like yours jonny boy
I guess I'm similar age to you and remember all the sh*t at Ibrox in the 70's
Great report - more please , love it

Billy Whizz
12-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Spot on Jonnyboy as usual😄
Glad we agree on MOM. Dylan, alias, "Xavi" ran the show, after a few early nervous moments
Full credit to the team though, coming from 1-0 down, under serious pressure early doors, and in a powder keg atmosphere.

My only complaint, is we really should have put them to the sword when we were 3-1 up, we had the chances and the possession to do so.
Really shouldn't be complaining, should I!

Should have added, Lennon playing 2 up top at Ibrox, put Rangers on their guard at all times

snooky
12-08-2017, 08:46 PM
:aok: Great stuff JB

BTW, "Gray's skull" :top marks

TrinityHibs
12-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Many thanks JB.

majorhibs
12-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Yer good, Jonnyboy!

murray26
12-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Great read.. thoroughly enjoyed.. gutted I wasn't there but trying to milk all the information I can get..

jacomo
12-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Best report yet.

Gives a real matchday flavour, clear analysis, and published very quickly.

Excellent read!

rebhar07
12-08-2017, 09:22 PM
What about Lewis

Mr White
12-08-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm loving these reports :thumbsup:

Ilovehibs
12-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Thank you for that JB.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2017, 09:27 PM
What about Lewis

Ooops How could I forget the wee man :hide:

Post amended soon

Billy Whizz
12-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Ooops How could I forget the wee man :hide:

Post amended soon

🤣

Jonnyboy
12-08-2017, 09:29 PM
🤣

Thanks for the water, Billy :greengrin

Robinho08
12-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Great match report. Look forward to these now. 👍🏼

brog
12-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Great stuff John, much appreciated.

O'Rourke3
12-08-2017, 09:51 PM
What about LewisWas in when I read it [emoji23]

AZhibee
12-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks to Jonnyboy for the excellent recap!
:flag:

Is It On....
12-08-2017, 10:15 PM

Lewis - the weeman was solid as ever, though he lost his man for the second goal. I'll forgive him as his throw in to Slivka for the third goal was a great assist!

Excellent read (esp as I am "stuck" in Greece) but do you think Grumpy Gibby would have been happy with that performance?

Jonnyboy
12-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Excellent read (esp as I am "stuck" in Greece) but do you think Grumpy Gibby would have been happy with that performance?

He'd have been waxing lyrical and long 😂

dieseldog
12-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Brilliant read
GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
12-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Keep 'em coming JB. Top read :aok:

esjorto
12-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Great report.
Many thanks.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hibees 7062
12-08-2017, 11:00 PM
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20767796_1652255771514208_7241193790716708797_n.jp g?oh=30a8ae93ccf11141ca35d001e5974699&oe=5A2A3546

Northern Hibby
12-08-2017, 11:02 PM

Like I said on a different thread could hear the Hibees singing from my daughter's flat in paisley road 😁

The Pointer
12-08-2017, 11:12 PM

Thanks for spending the time to do this Jonny. You seem to come from the same generation as me and have been through the same torment, so let's enjoy these big days.

Aubenas
12-08-2017, 11:25 PM

Nice one John - I don't go to Ibrox for League games, so it was good to get this flavour of a great occasion.:flag:

hibsbollah
13-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Best report yet. 'Alves is the Portuguese for' hoof'':faf:

Hibrandenburg
13-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks JB, I'm gonna start copy and pasting these into a single document. It could become a spectacular read at the end of what looks like a promising season. :thumbsup:

Kojock
13-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Once again a spot on assessment JB.

As you say must start the game stronger, we might get away giving lesser teams a goal of a start, but could struggle against the better teams. ;-)

Kojock
13-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Thanks for spending the time to do this Jonny. You seem to come from the same generation as me and have been through the same torment, so let's enjoy these big days.

Johnnyboy comes from a generation of his own 😂

Woodrow
13-08-2017, 07:51 AM

"Oh Paul Hanlon .... You know ... he's better than Canivaro" .... repeat ...:flag:

erin go bragh
13-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy:

Great match summary JB .
A simple " He's one of our own , he's one of our own " for PH .

Jonnyboy
13-08-2017, 07:27 PM

Great match summary JB .
A simple " He's one of our own , he's one of our own " for PH .

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
13-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Thanks JC .. enjoyed that immensely

monktonharp
14-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Great match summary JB .
A simple " He's one of our own , he's one of our own " for PH .love that. he is indeed, so let him know we know!

PapillonVert
14-08-2017, 12:47 AM
I think I am - you know, here or there sort of round about your generation, JC, but anyway can I say what a great article!

Gaun yersel, JC!

GGTTH

Looper
14-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Brilliant post Jonnyboy http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gifWe must keep the momentum going and be prepared for Hamilton on Saturday after their win. GGTTH